Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#7501 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:12

A couple of "stupid" mistakes:
- Stupid mistake by Ferrari for getting hoodwinked during testing and made a slow car
- Stupid mistake by whoever put Alonso's car together with a faulty rear wing
- Stupid mistake by Ferrari during Alonso's pit stop
- Stupid mistake by Alonso for getting too impatient

Even if Alonso did not make his, there was no way he was going to win the race. So, Ferrari has to improve the car and make sure it works during the race.

Edited by fabr68, 10 April 2011 - 11:16.

Advertisement

#7502 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:12

Damn, without this mistake it would be really good race. P6 is not too bad (I expected P5 before the race) but with those circumstances P3 was within reach.

Certainly, he would have overtaken Hamilton eventually, his zeal got the better of him. BTW, with a pitcrew firing on all cylinders P2 would have been possible. Ferrari pitstops today were inexplicable. For both Alonso and Massa.

#7503 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,111 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:51

So what? It is pretty clear that SV is going to win the WDC in Korea or India at this rate or maybe before.. :p

Sorry, but I am confused. I post the current WDC standings, and you ask "so what?". So those are the WDC standings! Am I missing something? :confused:

Edited by Fontainebleau, 10 April 2011 - 11:51.

#7504 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 11:56

Sorry, but I am confused. I post the current WDC standings, and you ask "so what?". So those are the WDC standings! Am I missing something? :confused:

I thought you were trying to make a point about something... :)

#7505 Flyhigh

Flyhigh

• 410 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:18

To be fair Alonso is getting old now.

No point comparing him to what he could do 6 years ago at 24 years of age. It's always going to be downhill.

He is 30 years old in 2 months.

30 years old, is old now? Is when a lot of drivers are enetering their prime Schumacher at 30 years old was starting his rein in Ferrari in 2000 to have his best years So was Mika in his 30. You are nuts if you think age has anything to do with it. The fact is that the races are more crowded with talent nowdays and F1 is much more dynamic now with the tyres no TC etc.. than it was in those days where there was a clear team standings. You had to fight against one team or driver only.

In Today you have to fight and race from the first lap until the last with several different cars and teams. F1 is a different animal right now than it was in that period. But I don't blame Alonso I think he is much like Hamilton they are pure racers for the good and for the bad. They put it on the line and either make great passes and race recoveries fighting trough the field or mistakes tha happen along they way also.

#7506 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:33

Immediately after the race I thought it was a stupid mistake by Alonso. But after seeing the replays and reading some expert opinions I don't think it was that avoidable. Of course he was a bit impatient, but if it's true that Hamilton made aggressive and strange movements etc, I think unfortunate would be a better word to describe it. Hamilton's 20 sec penalty confirms this.

#7507 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,266 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:37

Immediately after the race I thought it was a stupid mistake by Alonso. But after seeing the replays and reading some expert opinions I don't think it was that avoidable. Of course he was a bit impatient, but if it's true that Hamilton made aggressive and strange movements etc, I think unfortunate would be a better word to describe it. Hamilton's 20 sec penalty confirms this.

Hamilton's penalty is for something that happened the previous lap, not during the incident.
Alonso's penalty is the one due to the incident per se.

#7508 speng

speng

• 1,299 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:39

Do you see any aggressive and strange movement
Alonso and Hamilton touch

#7509 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,058 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:40

Hamilton penalty is not for the "crash" moment, it's from before.

Shame that the DRS failed, 2nd or 3rd was an epic result for Fernando and the team. I still blame Fernando for the incident, he should now better when he fight some drivers. Anyway, China next week, let's hope for a better result.

#7510 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:40

Hamilton's penalty is for something that happened the previous lap, not during the incident.
Alonso's penalty is the one due to the incident per se.

Yeah I got that now, thought it was otherwise. It's both very harsh I think and unclear. But I'm still in line with what I said.

#7511 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 12:43

What a race :up:
Great race by fernando till the mistake.
He was inpatient, thats true, but still if lewis hadnt changed the line more than once, the lap before that incident wouldnt happen.

#7512 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:08

Same.

#7513 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:11

Lewis didn't make a strange move in the corner, it was just normal positioning, Alonso wasn't too aggressive or deliberatle, the issue for me was he was way faster then a ill car he was expecting to be much faster and got caught out.

#7514 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:13

What a race :up:
Great race by fernando till the mistake.
He was inpatient, thats true, but still if lewis hadnt changed the line more than once, the lap before that incident wouldnt happen.

True. Also, If the DRS worked as it was supposed to, he would have passed him in the straight several curves before. Too many wrongs going on at the same time.

#7515 topical

topical

• 2,169 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:18

True. Also, If the DRS worked as it was supposed to, he would have passed him in the straight several curves before. Too many wrongs going on at the same time.

He still shouldn't have made the mistake. It was never a question of if, only when he would get past. If it had been another driver than Lewis I bet he would have been a bit more patient. With Vettel dominating at RB he just cannot afford to make mistakes like this if he wants to stay within touching distance of the WDC lead while Ferrari sort out their issues.

#7516 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:21

He still shouldn't have made the mistake. It was never a question of if, only when he would get past. If it had been another driver than Lewis I bet he would have been a bit more patient. With Vettel dominating at RB he just cannot afford to make mistakes like this if he wants to stay within touching distance of the WDC lead while Ferrari sort out their issues.

Agreed. At the same time the car has to work during the race. You cannot afford reliability issues when the car is off the pace. It is amazing that such system failed on a Ferrari considering how many miles they tested this thing.

#7517 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:28

He still shouldn't have made the mistake. It was never a question of if, only when he would get past.

not really, he tried before and lewis changed the line too often, and the stewards havent reacted till then, so he knew he had to do a sudden move, not allowing lewis to change lines as often as lewis wanted, so it was inpatient in some way, but it was also due to the not knowing whether lewis will change lines again and not getting penalized. and not to forget he wanted to catch button too, so he had to make a move very quick.

#7518 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 13:32

He can't afford more mistakes or he will have to say goodbye to the WDC very soon.

Even if his car is inferior to Vettel's, there is still hope if Ferrari improves his qualifying pace and Alonso drives with his head, the season is still very long.

#7519 topical

topical

• 2,169 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 14:09

Agreed. At the same time the car has to work during the race. You cannot afford reliability issues when the car is off the pace. It is amazing that such system failed on a Ferrari considering how many miles they tested this thing.

Do you know whether the system came back or did it stay broken for the whole race?

Advertisement

#7520 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:10

Do you know whether the system came back or did it stay broken for the whole race?

They don't specify but it certainly hindered Alonso's chances to make the pass earlier

http://www.ferrari.c...in_the_end.aspx

Stefano Domenicali: “We cannot be pleased with this result, because today, we had the possibility to finally leap up onto the podium. Two incidents, linked one to a reliability issue (a failure of the moveable rear wing on Fernando’s car) and one at a pit stop (a problem with the left front at Felipe’s first stop) cost us very dear. It’s a shame, because in terms of race pace the 150º Italia seemed much more competitive when compared to its qualifying performance, as we had already seen in Melbourne. Once again today one driver, Vettel, was probably uncatchable but we were capable of fighting with all the others. Felipe and Fernando both drove great races: it’s up to us to give them a better car. We find ourselves in a situation where we need to be perfect to maximise our potential, given that we are lagging behind in terms of performance: we did not manage that and we must do all in our power to avoid that situation repeating itself. At the same time, we have to seriously ramp up the development of our car to make up the lost ground compared to the best. We will try and complete an analysis of the aerodynamics of the car as quickly as possible and introduce some developments as soon as we can, maybe right from the next race in China.”

Fernando Alonso: “I am happy with this race: not with the result but because we were finally competitive, capable of fighting wheel to wheel for a place on the podium. This is further motivation for the forthcoming race in China. We were not lucky: if the moveable rear wing had worked all the time, I could easily have passed Hamilton down the straight, but instead we had to fight hard. He defended very well and, unfortunately, we touched: that broke my wing and I had to come back into the pits to change it, thus losing any chance of getting to the podium. These things happen: today went badly for me, but another time we will have better luck. Here, the car seemed capable of managing the tyres really well which meant I could fight with the others. With the package we have today, we cannot fight for the win, but I hope that changes soon. In Shanghai, we realise we can expect another difficult weekend. We will have something new, but we don’t know how much progress it will see us make. Everyone knows that, at the moment, we just have to grit our teeth and that’s what we will do. There is still a long way to go in the championship and we must leave nothing to chance.”

#7521 topical

topical

• 2,169 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:14

Positive comments from both Domenicalli and Alonso. That's good, they sound motivated. Nice to see Alonso not try to blame Hamilton for the incident either.

#7522 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:36

Nice to see Alonso not try to blame Hamilton for the incident either.

:up:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 10 April 2011 - 15:36.

#7523 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,058 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:37

I found this, not sure if it's relevant anymore.

Posted Image

#7524 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:37

Nice to see Alonso not try to blame Hamilton for the incident either.

Well, he could have moaned about the weaving, but to try and blame him for breaking his win would have being really dumb.

#7525 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 15:42

I found this, not sure if it's relevant anymore.

Posted Image

hamilton is allowed to weave one time

#7526 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 10 April 2011 - 16:20

Same.

... old BS.

#7527 jey16

jey16

• 247 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:23

Alonso's initial getaway was decent but his tactics at the first corner again were questionable (like Australia)....it could have been due to having avoid a much slower Webber or the surprise appearance of the Renault's but its something that needs to be worked on

#7528 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:20

Positive comments from both Domenicalli and Alonso. That's good, they sound motivated. Nice to see Alonso not try to blame Hamilton for the incident either.

Let's always praise him. This time for not being an ahole.

#7529 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:27

Charlie Whiting and Joe Saward showing their true colours once again:

The stewards’ decisions are interesting for two reasons. The decision made against Alonso was the result of “a report from the Race Director”. The Stewards considered the evidence, determined that a breach of the regulations has been commited by Alonso when he caused a collision with Hamilton. That was simple enough.

In the case of Hamilton there was no mention of any report from Race Director Charlie Whiting, which means that the Stewards were probably acting because of a complaint from Ferrari as Whiting obviously did not think anything had been done wrong. The Stewards looked at the evidence and must have concluded that Ferrari was right enough about a move by Hamilton to warrant a sanction. However, it is clear from the wording that the manoeuvre would have gone without any action if someone outside Race Control had not raised the issue.

The other point to consider is that Whiting did not consider the collision to have been sufficiently serious to warrant an investigation during the race, so he must therefore have looked at it again later and decided to report the incident to the Stewards. What was that he saw that led him to take action? Did he, perhaps, suspect that Alonso ran into Hamilton deliberately, hoping to cut the McLaren driver’s rear tyre and that the move backfired and he damaged his front wing?

There is no doubt that the Stewards would have looked at Hamilton’s technical traces to make sure that he did not back off in an effort to catch out Alonso. Clearly there was no suggestion of such a thing, which begs the question, why was there an accident?

:rolleyes:

#7530 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:32

The stewards’ decisions are interesting for two reasons. The decision made against Alonso was the result of “a report from the Race Director”. The Stewards considered the evidence, determined that a breach of the regulations has been commited by Alonso when he caused a collision with Hamilton. That was simple enough.

In the case of Hamilton there was no mention of any report from Race Director Charlie Whiting, which means that the Stewards were probably acting because of a complaint from Ferrari as Whiting obviously did not think anything had been done wrong. The Stewards looked at the evidence and must have concluded that Ferrari was right enough about a move by Hamilton to warrant a sanction. However, it is clear from the wording that the manoeuvre would have gone without any action if someone outside Race Control had not raised the issue.

The other point to consider is that Whiting did not consider the collision to have been sufficiently serious to warrant an investigation during the race, so he must therefore have looked at it again later and decided to report the incident to the Stewards. What was that he saw that led him to take action? Did he, perhaps, suspect that Alonso ran into Hamilton deliberately, hoping to cut the McLaren driver’s rear tyre and that the move backfired and he damaged his front wing?

There is no doubt that the Stewards would have looked at Hamilton’s technical traces to make sure that he did not back off in an effort to catch out Alonso. Clearly there was no suggestion of such a thing, which begs the question, why was there an accident?

where do you got that from?

#7531 topical

topical

• 2,169 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:35

Joe Saward has disliked Alonso for years and always writes negative things about him. Best just ignore him. I stopped visiting his blog ages ago.

#7532 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:38

where do you got that from?

http://joesaward.wor...ittle-analysis/

#7533 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,338 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:38

What a joke...

#7534 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:55

thx mate

#7535 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,058 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:01

Did he, perhaps, suspect that Alonso ran into Hamilton deliberately, hoping to cut the McLaren driver’s rear tyre and that the move backfired and he damaged his front wing?

:drunk: , glad that I don't pay for GP+, this guy it's a joke.

#7536 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:42

Disgusting. It's a clear example of sensationalist and biased media.

Anyway, I admit there are good articles in his blog but when it comes to Alonso, he is obviously biased by his hate.

I prefer James Allen's blog or Andrew Benson's blog.

#7537 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,405 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:47

Iĺl never stop saying it, Saward is a joke. I can't believe he considers himself a journalist.

#7538 Kvothe

Kvothe

• 6,849 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:54

Having read the article, he has just speculated (admittedly not very well) as to why Alonso's incident was referred when, in actuality it was just a racing incident.

:up: Good driving from the both of them up until the collision.

#7539 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 12:55

Iĺl never stop saying it, Saward is a joke. I can't believe he considers himself a journalist.

:drunk: What will he make us 'believe'??

Advertisement

#7540 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 13:01

:up: Good driving from the both of them up until the collision.

Alonso wheel to wheel with Hamilton was the best moment of the race regardless of the result :up: They are the best racers in F1 alongside Kobayashi and Kubica (I don't consider Vettel a "racer"..yet)

Edited by AlanWake, 11 April 2011 - 13:02.

#7541 albertini

albertini

• 225 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 22:00

Im pushing,im pushing, dont worry....
:rotfl:

#7542 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 22:11

LOL :up:

#7543 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,338 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 22:21

Did I hear Andrea Stella giggle after Alonso said that?

#7544 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 12 April 2011 - 22:41

Alonso wheel to wheel with Hamilton was the best moment of the race regardless of the result :up: They are the best racers in F1 alongside Kobayashi and Kubica (I don't consider Vettel a "racer"..yet)

Same for me... You could see that Hamilton was fighting harder because it was Alonso and likewise for Alonso with Lewis.

You could feel the tension, the drama... from 2007.

#7545 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 327 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:15

lol, he sounds like he is having a beer in a pub after work instead of driving an F1 :rotfl:

Fantastic to see how calm he is. He doesn´t seem overloaded at all.

#7546 GPmaster

GPmaster

• 455 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:36

Did I hear Andrea Stella giggle after Alonso said that?

Was Martin Brundle

#7547 topical

topical

• 2,169 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:41

lol, he sounds like he is having a beer in a pub after work instead of driving an F1 :rotfl:

Fantastic to see how calm he is. He doesn´t seem overloaded at all.

I think it's clear that Alonso is a very emotional guy and I think he sounds really cheerful and relaxed in that clip because he's so pleasantly surprised to be taking the fight to the McLarens. It's nice to hear. Let's hope the performance carries over to China. If Vettel wins again then Alonso really needs a podium or he'll already be 30-40 points behind.

#7548 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,111 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 07:46

I think it's clear that Alonso is a very emotional guy and I think he sounds really cheerful and relaxed in that clip because he's so pleasantly surprised to be taking the fight to the McLarens. It's nice to hear. Let's hope the performance carries over to China. If Vettel wins again then Alonso really needs a podium or he'll already be 30-40 points behind.

I don't know him personally, but people who do have told me that he is exactly the opposite to emotional. :)

#7549 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 327 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 08:09

I don't know him personally, but people who do have told me that he is exactly the opposite to emotional. :)

Yup. A common mistake is that people thinks that Alonso is a "Latin" character. But he is from the north of Spain and in that area people is more introverted and less passional than in the south.

#7550 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:10

It's depends on the situation really. He hides behind 'that' mask when he isn't comfortable I guess.

Yup. A common mistake is that people thinks that Alonso is a "Latin" character. But he is from the north of Spain and in that area people is more introverted and less passional than in the south.

I hate stereotyping. I mean look at David Villa and his friend Samu Sanchez. All from Asturias, but they are warm, emotional and passionate.

Edited by Smile17, 13 April 2011 - 09:12.