Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#7551 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,311 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:17

"Me in politics? Yes, with Alonso as prime minister.

"I would have him because he has the strongest character and is optimistic but also a realist."

http://motorsport.ne...assa,21482.html

Montezemolo always providing fun. More silly stuff on the link.

Advertisement

#7552 GPmaster

GPmaster

• 455 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:41

Im pushing,im pushing, dont worry....
:rotfl:

Already banned by FOM, alternative:

#7553 topical

topical

• 2,295 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 09:51

Yup. A common mistake is that people thinks that Alonso is a "Latin" character. But he is from the north of Spain and in that area people is more introverted and less passional than in the south.

Actually I was going on the evidence, not the stereotype.
Alonso used to have the reputation as Mr. Cool, but events in 2007, or how upset he got in Valencia cos of Hamilton last year, or his manic cackle at Korea, or shaking the fist at Petrov in Abu Dhabi....come on, how can anyone say he's introverted and not passionate after that?
In truth he's actually a bit of Jekyll and Hyde character (at least that's how he comes across), who sometimes gets the red mist, at other times, in fact especially under high pressure with his back to the wall, can be super cool and do some of his strongest races. It's part of what makes him intriguing.
What he's like in real life I don't know and don't really care, he only interests me as a racing driver :)

#7554 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:54

Already banned by FOM, alternative:

really great, especially the calmness of his voice :up:

#7555 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 328 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 10:59

It's depends on the situation really. He hides behind 'that' mask when he isn't comfortable I guess.

I hate stereotyping. I mean look at David Villa and his friend Samu Sanchez. All from Asturias, but they are warm, emotional and passionate.

Well, i didn´t want to make an stereotype. My bad.  ;)

I just wanted to point out that many people around the world identifies the Spanish with certain characteristics and they speak a lot about the latin spirit and so on.

But they don´t realize that Spain is pretty big and there are lot´s of different regions, and people from the north are culturally different from the Spanish stereotype. I´ve been in Asturias quite a few times and love it, but it´s not exactly a mediterranean way of life. People are charming, but they are "generally" a bit more reserved than in the south. They have a more "european" feeling if i may say so.... and the food is awesome :p

But back to the point, i´ve heard a few times that Alonso, when he was young, was not much talkative and a reserved person, and he certainly likes having his personal life in a low profile. Of course he can be warm and passionate, but not in a flamboyant "look at me" style. I see him as a true profesional, with lot´s of talent and passion for work, but i also see him more a calculating person than a emotional person, who likes to trust the people around him.

Also we are talking abut racing drivers. They are pretty "hot headad" in general compared to a normal person. I would piss my pants if i had to drive an F1 around monaco at full speed :lol:

#7556 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 328 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 11:12

Actually I was going on the evidence, not the stereotype.
Alonso used to have the reputation as Mr. Cool, but events in 2007, or how upset he got in Valencia cos of Hamilton last year, or his manic cackle at Korea, or shaking the fist at Petrov in Abu Dhabi....come on, how can anyone say he's introverted and not passionate after that?
In truth he's actually a bit of Jekyll and Hyde character (at least that's how he comes across), who sometimes gets the red mist, at other times, in fact especially under high pressure with his back to the wall, can be super cool and do some of his strongest races. It's part of what makes him intriguing.
What he's like in real life I don't know and don't really care, he only interests me as a racing driver :)

Well, as i said in the previous post all racing drivers are more or less hot heads. But IMO Alonso is more on the cool side than in the hot side. You got some examples of Alonso losing his temper. I can add some as when he was punished in silverstone or when he crashed in monaco overtaking Ralf.

But i think those are the exceptions. I don´t now him personally, but on the interviews, the normal radio messages, etc he certainly doesn´t feel like montoya for example :)

#7557 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,311 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:03

New blog entry.

http://www.ferrari.c...pportunity.aspx

I thank him for having thought of me for the role of premier, but I’d rather stick to racing!

#7558 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:31

New blog entry.

http://www.ferrari.c...pportunity.aspx

thank you for that :up:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 13 April 2011 - 12:41.

#7559 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:32

Funny. If you look at the anti-Alonso media in Spain they paint him as cold, arrogant and unfriendly. He has responded that he is introverted and shy.

I think people just don't understand the human state of mind when you are going 300 Km/h with pure adrenaline pumping through your body, while your brain is reacting at milliseconds to keep the car on the road and stay alive. On top of that add a frustrating event and it is easy to become volatile. Some drivers would crash, others scream and pump fists.

I have to say that all Formula 1 drivers do a great job handling such stress. Compare that to the hysteria and emotional reactions comiming from the fans and media from their armchairs.

Advertisement

#7560 topical

topical

• 2,295 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 12:58

Well, as i said in the previous post all racing drivers are more or less hot heads. But IMO Alonso is more on the cool side than in the hot side. You got some examples of Alonso losing his temper. I can add some as when he was punished in silverstone or when he crashed in monaco overtaking Ralf.

But i think those are the exceptions. I don´t now him personally, but on the interviews, the normal radio messages, etc he certainly doesn´t feel like montoya for example :)

I guess you're right. I think Montoya's problem is he was just really stupid and lazy, leading to a career of unfulfiled talent. Alonso always seemed to have a good racing brain at least.

#7561 meddo

meddo

• 1,679 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 13:22

I guess you're right. I think Montoya's problem is he was just really stupid and lazy, leading to a career of unfulfiled talent. Alonso always seemed to have a good racing brain at least.

Nice way to depict a CART Champion, Indy 500 and Monaco winner.
I guess, I'll have to become as lazy and stupid like him. Thank you bud :up:

#7562 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,572 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 16:31

Funny. If you look at the anti-Alonso media in Spain they paint him as cold, arrogant and unfriendly. He has responded that he is introverted and shy.

I think people just don't understand the human state of mind when you are going 300 Km/h with pure adrenaline pumping through your body, while your brain is reacting at milliseconds to keep the car on the road and stay alive. On top of that add a frustrating event and it is easy to become volatile. Some drivers would crash, others scream and pump fists.

I have to say that all Formula 1 drivers do a great job handling such stress. Compare that to the hysteria and emotional reactions comiming from the fans and media from their armchairs.

nicely put. :up:

And an adept observation.

#7563 HPT

HPT

• 1,208 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 16:42

But it won't do you any good unless you have the talent to go with it :p

Nice way to depict a CART Champion, Indy 500 and Monaco winner.
I guess, I'll have to become as lazy and stupid like him. Thank you bud :up:

#7564 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,311 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:24

Good job today, maybe not the best possible in the last lap, but anyway, 4th or 5th it's not a big difference. If he can do a clean, fast and get a good position after the first set of curves, maybe he can fight for podium if the McLaren guys have some problems.

#7565 topical

topical

• 2,295 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:29

If you look at the gap to Massa, I don't think Alonso's last lap was very good. I think that car is closer to the McLaren's than it looks (though still miles away from Vettel) and we know they always go well in the races. A podium is possible, but Alonso MUST get a good start tomorrow and not once again find himself losing 3 or 4 places at turn 1.

#7566 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:42

Great job by Fernando, p5 is reserved for him in qualy this year, sadly.

#7567 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,311 posts

Posted 16 April 2011 - 07:48

It funny because Fernando it's the driver number 5 on the grid, and he started the 3 first races in 5th position :eek:

#7568 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,311 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:45

Really bad race, even if there is any problem with the car, the start again was bad. Very frustrating race, specially in the overtaking and race pace area. Let's see if there is any explanation.

#7569 figue

figue

• 191 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:48

the explanation was friday, he sacrified this race

#7570 topical

topical

• 2,295 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:49

One of Alonso's poorest races in recent years. No pace, poor start (again), indecisive in overtaking....just bad all round. What a disappointment. I hope that testing of new parts on Friday instead of working on race set up pays off in turkey.

#7571 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,071 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:50

Alonso seems to have a major problem now, he cant overtake or he messes up big time doing it.

#7572 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,132 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:51

Really bad race, even if there is any problem with the car, the start again was bad. Very frustrating race, specially in the overtaking and race pace area. Let's see if there is any explanation.

From what he said on TV, no specific issues. So just a bad race, but everybody has one now and then!  ;)

On the other hand, a great F1 race!!! :clap:

#7573 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,132 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 08:53

Alonso seems to have a major problem now, he cant overtake or he messes up big time doing it.

Apart from the fight with Schumacher (whom him finally overtook in a quite spectacular move, btw), which other overtake did he botch? I missed part of the race.

#7574 topical

topical

• 2,295 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:00

Apart from the fight with Schumacher (whom him finally overtook in a quite spectacular move, btw), which other overtake did he botch? I missed part of the race.

None. Just a troll.

#7575 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,132 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:02

None. Just a troll.

Thanks! Obviously I haven't learnt much about internet forums despite having been around for a while ;)

#7576 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,520 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:03

what a let down, i expected more today, plain bad day..

#7577 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:03

Don't pay attention, just read his other posts. He clearly has an agenda.

Alonso had a bad starting and Massa did better, but he indeed overtook several cars when needed and when tyres allowed him to do so.

#7578 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:05

Oh dear Ferrari,
they screwed alonsos race today totally. :down:

#7579 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:07

One of Alonso's poorest races in recent years. No pace, poor start (again), indecisive in overtaking....just bad all round. What a disappointment. I hope that testing of new parts on Friday instead of working on race set up pays off in turkey.

All teams do that all the time because, if you haven't noticed yet, there's no more tests outside the race weekends. Only becomes an excuse for a poor performance when Alonso does it.

Edited by cardin, 17 April 2011 - 09:10.

Advertisement

#7580 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:07

Consistently beaten by massa, good to see.

#7581 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:15

3 bad starts in 3 races. Hmm....

#7582 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:17

3 bad starts in 3 races. Hmm....

today his start was not that bad, almost all people from the uneven starting positions lost places (jsut lewis gain one, althogh also losing some track to button)

#7583 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 09:47

As DC said, Alonso is a champion and for him it's all about winning. In the end it doesn't really matter if he finishes 7 or 8th. He looks at the bigger picture, so I really don't know why people are getting so excited by seeing Massa finish one position in front of him.

Let's see if Ferrari can bring big updates to Turkey and on, they need to get to the front. If that doesn't happen, it's there were the real disaster for Alonso and Ferrari begins.

#7584 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:47

As DC said, Alonso is a champion and for him it's all about winning. In the end it doesn't really matter if he finishes 7 or 8th. He looks at the bigger picture, so I really don't know why people are getting so excited by seeing Massa finish one position in front of him.

Let's see if Ferrari can bring big updates to Turkey and on, they need to get to the front. If that doesn't happen, it's there were the real disaster for Alonso and Ferrari begins.

The bigger picture states that one must get as many points as possible for WDC!!!
So you see, it does matter to Ferrari and Ferrari fans that Mr.Nando try his best to take all possible points & not fall asleep and give shoddy performances- 7th is better than 8th in the bigger picture.

Also, Massa is slowly creeping up on him.... watch out!

Edited by Nivra, 17 April 2011 - 10:48.

#7585 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,048 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:51

Never ! Underestimate Alonso.

#7586 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,132 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 10:54

Nice avatar :) ;)

#7587 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:05

NO need to under-estimate him.
No need to over-estimate him either!!

In 2011, Ferrari and Alonso have managed to take the best car in pre-season testing to 4th best in season. (So much for his development skills & 7 tenth)
In 2010, Ferrari and Alonso managed to squander the Championship being gifted by RBR/Vettel coz they couldn't plan a strategy together.
In 2007, he got his backside beaten by a "Rookie".

If he isn't careful, Massa will get him. I hope for his fans sake it doesn't happen.
More than the fans, i'm worried what pram Alonso would jump out of if that happens by the end of this season.

;)

#7588 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,399 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 11:24

That was a surprisingly poor race from Alonso. I think pitting later also added to the time loss.

#7589 NZX_Lorne

NZX_Lorne

• 202 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:28

Felipe drove very well and seems to be getting back to the quality of driving/pace he showed before his accident. However, is there any doubt that had Ferrari pitted Fernando first (lap before Felipe) during the first stint, Ferrari would've scored more WCC points today?

Anyone know how first stop choice works in Ferrari? Is it the better qualifier that gets choice or the driver who's ahead in the race----or is it decided on the fly/spur of the moment?

#7590 NZX_Lorne

NZX_Lorne

• 202 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:34

What I'm getting at^ is that IMO, forget Fernando's poor start (again) and his final position, if it was FA's decision to pit after FM in the first stint, he blew his race right there and is fully to blame for his poor performance.

#7591 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:39

What I'm getting at^ is that IMO, forget Fernando's poor start (again) and his final position, if it was FA's decision to pit after FM in the first stint, he blew his race right there and is fully to blame for his poor performance.

that is surely the vital point of alonsos race, the first pit stop.
alonso was right behind rosberg and massa before first stop and very wide aways from them after the first pit stop + falling behind ms.

ferrari made a big big mistake today.

#7592 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:56

I think Alonso isn't as ambitious as he used to be in the past. A few years ago, he would have been visibly ANGRY after a race like this. He was even slightly smiling when he was being interviewed after the race. WTF? What happened with him? Has he been brainwashed by Ferrari? :eek:

Edited by AlanWake, 17 April 2011 - 13:00.

#7593 sharo

sharo

• 1,792 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 12:58

ferrari made a big big mistake today.

And not only today IMO.

#7594 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 13:00

I think Alonso isn't as ambitious as he used to be in the past. A few year ago, he would been visibly ANGRY after a race like this. He was even slightly smiling when he was being interviewed after the race. WTF? What happened with him? Has he been brainwashed by Ferrari? :eek:

no he just doenst try to change the unchangable, that means the past -> so he has matured.
he is looking to improve in the future and wants with his attitude to motivate the guys, by not criticising them in public, but by looking for solutions within the team. Great character :up:

#7595 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 13:00

And not only today IMO.

last four races (abu dhabi included) they made strategic mistakes in the race in a row.

#7596 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 13:05

last four races (abu dhabi included) they made strategic mistakes in the race in a row.

:mad: :mad: can't believe that the scuderia has no ability people.....

#7597 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 13:08

Posts deleted. Please quit the trolling. Please also hit report rather than replying to the trolling. Please also quit the personal attacks.

Thanks

Gareth

#7598 NZX_Lorne

NZX_Lorne

• 202 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 13:17

I think Alonso isn't as ambitious as he used to be in the past. A few year ago, he would been visibly ANGRY after a race like this. He was even slightly smiling when he was being interviewed after the race. WTF? What happened with him? Has he been brainwashed by Ferrari? :eek:

Totally disagree. I believe Fernando is as ambitious as ever, however, given his criticized past, his current team, and being almost 30 y/o, I think Fernando has realized that there's nothing whatsoever to gain from talking negative about his team or getting mad about anything in public. Come to think of it, we probably have to go back to '07 to find FA talking very badly about anything........ Behind closed doors is another story though, and - unless it was his choice to pit after Felipe in the first stint - I'm guessing Fernando is totally pissed off (ANGRY) right now. . .

#7599 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 13:49

Totally disagree. I believe Fernando is as ambitious as ever, however, given his criticized past, his current team, and being almost 30 y/o, I think Fernando has realized that there's nothing whatsoever to gain from talking negative about his team or getting mad about anything in public. Come to think of it, we probably have to go back to '07 to find FA talking very badly about anything........ Behind closed doors is another story though, and - unless it was his choice to pit after Felipe in the first stint - I'm guessing Fernando is totally pissed off (ANGRY) right now. . .

I'm not saying he isn't as ambitious as in the past only because of his comments after the race. Maybe he has matured and for that reason he is politically correct right now although I prefer when he was speaking his mind (right or wrong).

The reason why I don't see Alonso as determined/ambitious/motivated as he was a few years ago is because of his driving mainly. For example, I don't see him being very agressive at the starts as he was in 2004-2007 when he was usually great, he tends to be very cautious when a few years ago he would have risked more which did pay off most times.

Edited by AlanWake, 17 April 2011 - 13:51.

Advertisement

#7600 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,071 posts

Posted 17 April 2011 - 13:56

None. Just a troll.

Don't pay attention, just read his other posts. He clearly has an agenda.

Alonso had a bad starting and Massa did better, but he indeed overtook several cars when needed and when tyres allowed him to do so.

So I guess you guys have started wearing glasses. No Alonso doesnt have a problem? Yes he has problems. Its not good to see him repeat mistakes every year. Poor starts, clash with Lewis, he did overtake Michael but wasnt he stuck behind MS for quite sometime? He had DRS and KERS but he couldnt overtake. It was a poor race from him. I support Alonso but admit he has again started making mistakes.

Me, a troll, yeah right. Get those glasses on boys.