Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#8301 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 1,622 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 09:23

In my opinion there are numerous drivers who might be better than Alonso, Hamilton, or Vettel. That's because this is F1. In F1 results are something even like 80% car 20% driver. Alonso and Hamilton forged their reputation while in cars that were the best on the grid. Likewise with Vettel. Surprise surprise, they are the 3 who are talked about the most as the best. But for all we know Kubica or Rosberg or any one of several others might be faster than any of them if the guys had had the good fortune of Alonso in 05-06, Hamilton 07-08m, Vettel now. Instead, none of them have ever had a wondercar or even one you could call truly competitive. So all these arguments into perpetuity about why X driver is, by fact, the best blah blah blah are so flawed and pointless. F1 is the worst series to be having strong and vocal conviction about which driver is "proven" best.

Especially absurd and basically trivial/vacuous are the arguments back and forth over claims like "X driver could win if he had faster car".

Anyway, this is supposed to be an Alonso thread...

:eek: :lol:

I agree with you on some part, but looking at Alonso, he also won with Renautl in 2008, and I know some argue about the way he won in Singapore, it still was an awesome drive, Japan 2008 was equally impressive with a car that was clearly not the best. VEttel was mighty impressive with the Torro Rosso andtook a well deserved win. For me that is what makes some drivers so great, they just need the smalles of opurtunities and they grab it. Alonso put that Minardi in places it should not have been. Rosberg has had plenty of chances to achieve a surprise result and too many times didn't take them. Kubica is a good driver, but has never shown me has that bit extra. He won in Canada when al the main contenders were out, thats it.

Advertisement

#8302 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:11

Now that Buttoner specifically brought up the thing about biases I'd like to voice my opinion about it too.

I also have heard several reports coming from the UK with people hailing Alonso or voting him positively as well as other non-British drivers. However I don't think that is taking away any myth about the bias of the British racing fans.

I kinda feel that kind of stuff is more like a bit of self-bashing, like a scold towards the british drivers.
British are as biased as the Germans or the Spaniards towards their drivers. I don't see any difference at all. Kind of funny when they pretend they are not just to look more objetive but they are the same.

lol And about the medias itself, BBC among other british medias are among the most biased, double-faced and ethnocentrist ones in the world, specially involving political issues, but also sports. I know not all the people that write those articles are in the same boat tho, but overall most of them are.

-------

Anyway as much as I'm a fan of Alonso I don't think he was the driver of the day at Turkey. That's like an insult towards him IMO. He was just back at what he once used to be. A guy that can achieve and perform solidly. I think other drivers were more special at Turkey, but well, this topic is not about those drivers.

Edited by AdamKOR, 11 May 2011 - 11:18.

#8303 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:33

Fernando Alonso is convinced he will be able to fight for this year's title if Ferrari can continue to perform like it did in Turkey.

:love: fernando believes in his title chance! This is a very good sign...last year it was in the same way!!!

#8304 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:35

Alonso started in a minardi and immediately forged a reputation. Vetted won in a torro Rosso and Hamilton excelled in his first year against Alonso having a record run of podiums. I doubt anyone is better than these three. Maybe on a par with them, but better?

Agree. They are the best out there. It's no accident they have the best rides.

#8305 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,379 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:39

Because you don't pay for it :p

If BBC let me pay to watch their TV, I would jump at the opportunity.

#8306 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,109 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 11:45

Now that Buttoner specifically brought up the thing about biases I'd like to voice my opinion about it too.

I also have heard several reports coming from the UK with people hailing Alonso or voting him positively as well as other non-British drivers. However I don't think that is taking away any myth about the bias of the British racing fans.

I kinda feel that kind of stuff is more like a bit of self-bashing, like a scold towards the british drivers.
British are as biased as the Germans or the Spaniards towards their drivers. I don't see any difference at all. Kind of funny when they pretend they are not just to look more objetive but they are the same.

lol And about the medias itself, BBC among other british medias are among the most biased, double-faced and ethnocentrist ones in the world, specially involving political issues, but also sports. I know not all the people that write those articles are in the same boat tho, but overall most of them are.

-------

Anyway as much as I'm a fan of Alonso I don't think he was the driver of the day at Turkey. That's like an insult towards him IMO. He was just back at what he once used to be. A guy that can achieve and perform solidly. I think other drivers were more special at Turkey, but well, this topic is not about those drivers.

Do you have any comparative data to support your assertions?

#8307 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,379 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:01

Fernando's playing with number statistics again and is

(...) convinced he will be able to fight for this year's title if Ferrari can continue to perform like it did in Turkey.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/91321

#8308 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:02

@Slartibartfast

Regarding politics I could easily do (specially bringing up stuff related to China, Spain, reported by the BBC), regarding the sport side I don't try to convince anybody so I won't even bother to do that here.
Having in my memory certain headlines blowing out of proportion Alonso's words or events, or certain conversations I've had with a lot of british in both Spain and the UK (mainly England), I just wanted to give my opinion since the topic was brought up. Don't care if someone takes my point or not.

And for some reason a guy that lived there for a lot of years feels the same. His name is Alonso :)

Edited by AdamKOR, 11 May 2011 - 12:06.

#8309 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,873 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:24

Blog entry in Ferrari.com (source for Autosport recen news entry)

http://www.ferrari.c...-this-road.aspx

Alonso and the calculator it's always a good team, I like where this is heading :)

#8310 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 15,883 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:37

-------

Anyway as much as I'm a fan of Alonso I don't think he was the driver of the day at Turkey. That's like an insult towards him IMO.

So not only is voting him driver of the race an aberration, it is actually a positive insult? The BBC viewers (and Brundle) are showing their negativity by voting him their driver of the race.

I have to confess, I am very impressed that you saw through our veil of lies.

#8311 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:47

@Slartibartfast

Regarding politics I could easily do (specially bringing up stuff related to China, Spain, reported by the BBC), regarding the sport side I don't try to convince anybody so I won't even bother to do that here.
Having in my memory certain headlines blowing out of proportion Alonso's words or events, or certain conversations I've had with a lot of british in both Spain and the UK (mainly England), I just wanted to give my opinion since the topic was brought up. Don't care if someone takes my point or not.

And for some reason a guy that lived there for a lot of years feels the same. His name is Alonso :)

I wonder if you really ever watched BBC coverage. I'm no British and I realy support Ferrari/Alonso and trust me they are far better than RTL and La Sexta. Despite Vettel winning and controlling the race Brandle only prised Alonso and several times.

#8312 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,583 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:50

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend"

Not long ago Vettel was liked by an overwhelming majority until he became a consistent winner.

#8313 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 3,889 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 12:50

So not only is voting him driver of the race an aberration, it is actually a positive insult? The BBC viewers (and Brundle) are showing their negativity by voting him their driver of the race.

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Well said. I´m amazed how 2007 has destroyed the overview of Brits (fans and journos) image of Alonso. I mean, in 2003-2006 period became clear that Brundle was a fan of him. He said that a few times. Still he was balanced enough to say that Räikkönen deserved the WDC in 2005. That guy might have his bias as everyone else, but they don´t stop him for saying what he sees. I Don´t have direct contact with Brit fans, but most of their journos kick our (Spanish) press´ ass in every possible aspect.

#8314 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 13:39

I wonder if you really ever watched BBC coverage. I'm no British and I realy support Ferrari/Alonso and trust me they are far better than RTL and La Sexta. Despite Vettel winning and controlling the race Brandle only prised Alonso and several times.

I'm agree tho that RTL and laSexta are even worse. For the Spanish viewers I'd suggest TV3 hands down instead, even if not everybody can speak Catalan.

...but most of their journos kick our (Spanish) press´ ass in every possible aspect.

I'm agree about that but only regarding sports, and that still doesn't make them nice. They are Guatemala, and the Spanish press Guatepeor, u probably understand the expression.

I don't care about anyone in particular or Brundle, I'm not saying there aren't Alonso fans or people that really think highly in Alonso over there. I could give you the adress of a certain forum full of British that think really highly of Alonso, even Hamilton die hard fans that still think Alonso's better. Actually the biggest Alonso fanboy I ever met was British :p

But yes, I think overall those poll results are a way of showing negativity towards british drivers. If the british media blow Alonso words out of proportion so oftenly or take certain issues involving Alonso in such a sensationalist way, that means that's what "it sells" in the UK. Medias usually give to their populace what they want to read.

Seriously, I don't see the British fans any different from the Spanish ones or the German ones.

Really? He, he, don't mention it, my cheeks are red.
Posted Image

Edited by AdamKOR, 11 May 2011 - 13:40.

#8315 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 19:04

Blog entry in Ferrari.com (source for Autosport recen news entry)

http://www.ferrari.c...-this-road.aspx

Alonso and the calculator it's always a good team, I like where this is heading :)

To be fair, I don't think that drivers actually write those blogs.

#8316 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 21:34

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#8317 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 22:00

:up: its funny....

#8318 Kohque

Kohque

• 359 posts

Posted 11 May 2011 - 23:23

...Alonso with a Fiat 500 :lol: That's his company car until he starts winning  ;)

#8319 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,873 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 06:03

Funny spot :rotfl:

First 10 of the season for Alonso in Autosport race ratings.

Fifth yet again on the grid. Passed Hamilton on the opening lap and, even though Ferrari's race pace is stronger than its qualifying speed, he desrves huge credit for coming so close to splitting the Red Bulls. Hard to see how he could have improved on third. 10/10 event rating.

Advertisement

#8320 kurski

kurski

• 260 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 13:56

F1 - Alonso and Ferrari until 2015?

#8321 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,873 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 14:22

Just speculation based on the fact that Montezemolo it's very happy with Alonso. They found their leader in Fernando, there is no reason to not wanting him for many more years, now it's a matter of building a car to match Fernando's skills and ambitions.

#8322 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 16:33

F1 - Alonso and Ferrari until 2015?

Well, I hope so :up: It's great to have your favorite driver in the greatest team in F1 History! :)

I'm not a Ferrari Fan but I support them simply because Fernando is driving for them (just like I used to support Mclaren or Renault when Fernando was there).

I think Ferrari IS an unique and special team with a GREAT history and IMHO, the best from Fernando Alonso + Ferrari is yet to come so I would be really happy if Ferrari renews Alonso at least a couple of more years...

Edited by AlanWake, 16 May 2011 - 16:34.

#8323 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 17:30

:) I'm sure Fernando will drive for Ferrari for a long time! They are perfect each for other!

#8324 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,113 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 17:58

:) I'm sure Fernando will drive for Ferrari for a long time! They are perfect each for other!

IDK, you never know with Fernando! It's hard to predict, as we saw in the past with a lot of drivers.

#8325 F. Scaramanga

F. Scaramanga

• 148 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:04

... but they will never win a championship together! :p

#8326 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:09

they certainly deserve each other, I wouldn't be too proud of that though lol

#8327 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 18:49

... but they will never win a championship together! :p

:rolleyes: you are real sure?

#8328 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,113 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 19:17

:rolleyes: you are real sure?

No it's just his biggest fear... (those two being successful)

Edited by Smile17, 16 May 2011 - 19:19.

#8329 F. Scaramanga

F. Scaramanga

• 148 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 19:34

Yes, i´m sure!!!

DoDi -> Brawn
F-Duct -> McLaren
EBD -> RBR

Ferrari -> ???

Life is easy... :up: :p

Edited by F. Scaramanga, 16 May 2011 - 19:36.

#8330 P123

P123

• 7,396 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 19:38

But yes, I think overall those poll results are a way of showing negativity towards british drivers. If the british media blow Alonso words out of proportion so oftenly or take certain issues involving Alonso in such a sensationalist way, that means that's what "it sells" in the UK. Medias usually give to their populace what they want to read.

I doubt anybody buys newspapers in the UK for their coverage on Alonso, pro or anti. In fact F1 coverage usually comes after football, golf, tennis, boxing, snooker in the pecking order of most dailys sports sections.

#8331 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 19:49

Yes, i´m sure!!!

DoDi -> Brawn
F-Duct -> McLaren
EBD -> RBR

Ferrari -> ???

Life is easy... :up: :p

Actually, the EBD was a Renault idea. And for not having many innovations I think ferrari still produces an excellent race car.

I love mclarens attempts at breaking the mould and finding the magic bullet with the sidepods and f ducts and things, but so far it has yielded little reward.

Edited by Andy865, 16 May 2011 - 19:50.

#8332 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 19:51

Actually, the EBD was a Renault idea. And for not having many innovations I think ferrari still produces an excellent race car.

I love mclarens attempts at breaking the mould and finding the magic bullet with the sidepods and f ducts and things, but so far it has yielded little reward.

well, when you copy everyone's design and have more money than everyone else, if you don't make a good race car you're in the wrong line of business.

#8333 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 19:56

well, when you copy everyone's design and have more money than everyone else, if you don't make a good race car you're in the wrong line of business.

:lol:
Fair point!

#8334 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:06

Alonso likes chicken :cat:

Edited by puxanando, 18 May 2011 - 12:08.

#8335 kosmos

kosmos

• 5,873 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 17:37

Fernando Alonso - classic F1 2011

We’ll see who’s been the cleverest in the development championship

#8336 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,882 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 17:59

i've got to try this 'extra kerb' on my chicken some time.

#8337 as65p

as65p

• 16,624 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 18:03

:lol: :up:

#8338 robefc

robefc

• 7,952 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 18:11

If BBC let me pay to watch their TV, I would jump at the opportunity.

They will...but there's a condition attached! :p

#8339 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 18:11

We’ll see who’s been the cleverest in the development championship

They sure can develop other people's designs better than anybody else, that's for sure.....

Advertisement

#8340 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 21:15

Great article :up: I'm just surprised he chose Korea 2010 instead of Singapore 2010 (IMO, Alonso's best race as a Ferrari Driver till now) as one of his favorite races. He drove extremely well in Korea but compared to Singapore it wasn't that special. I guess he chose that GP because it was when he got the WDC lead.

#8341 JKTRacing

JKTRacing

• 184 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 01:48

Many here are confusing British media with the British people..

In my opinion as a Spanish guy that has lived in the UK for 12 years:

British Media: Pro British drivers, not Anti Alonso.
British People in General: Varied, more anti-Hamilton than Anti-Alonso

Spanish Media: Pro Alonso (You dont watch F1 on TV, you watch Alonso)
Spanish People in general: Anti-Alonso, Anti-Hamilton, anti everything really, they should stick to football me thinks

#8342 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 05:04

Great article :up: I'm just surprised he chose Korea 2010 instead of Singapore 2010 (IMO, Alonso's best race as a Ferrari Driver till now) as one of his favorite races. He drove extremely well in Korea but compared to Singapore it wasn't that special. I guess he chose that GP because it was when he got the WDC lead.

In the last 3-4 laps he was 5 sec faster than anybody else including his teammate. British commentators were puzzled. Don't you think it was special?

Although France 2004, Japan 2005, Hungary 2006 were special also.

Edited by nbhb, 19 May 2011 - 05:07.

#8343 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 07:38

@ puxanando & kosmos:

thank you guys for the links :up:

the article about Alonsos all time favourite races is so typical for Alonso, it just emphasies his unselfishness. :up:
Unlike the other guys he count also races in which he hasnt driven to his favourites :up:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 19 May 2011 - 07:43.

#8344 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 01:02

Edited by jetalt, 20 May 2011 - 01:03.

#8345 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,882 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:23

lovely drifting. but the guy seems to have gone insane :stoned:

#8346 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 06:54

What a wonderful video!! One of the best videos that I've ever seen from Fernando so far!

I LOVE the way how the Italian guy says "Che Spettaaaacolo!" , it was very funny :p. I could not stop to laugh while I was watching the video! :lol:

#8347 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,602 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 07:37

I always thought that Alonso would fit well in Ferrari, its the same 'southern' mentality they have, and they're a perfect match. I hope they don't win too many titles :)

#8348 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 08:02

lovely drifting. but the guy seems to have gone insane :stoned:

He doesn't seem too shabby with drifting street cars yeah:

#8349 kurski

kurski

• 260 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:48

Many here are confusing British media with the British people..

In my opinion as a Spanish guy that has lived in the UK for 12 years:

British Media: Pro British drivers, not Anti Alonso.
British People in General: Varied, more anti-Hamilton than Anti-Alonso

Spanish Media: Pro Alonso (You dont watch F1 on TV, you watch Alonso)
Spanish People in general: Anti-Alonso, Anti-Hamilton, anti everything really, they should stick to football me thinks

even though I'm a fan of Alonso, with so many other Finns do not like Fernando. (If you are Finnish, so it is a shame to encourage Alonso, because you only get around angry people.)

#8350 Verderer

Verderer

• 591 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 10:39

even though I'm a fan of Alonso, with so many other Finns do not like Fernando. (If you are Finnish, so it is a shame to encourage Alonso, because you only get around angry people.)

Er, not really? :confused: Of course YMMV, but most Finns I know, and who also follow F1, couldn't care less if I rooted for Alonso. Some don't like Kimi at all etc. So maybe best not make generalizations?