Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#8351 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:09

Brillant, after all the problems this weekend, 4th is beyond amazing, almost got Hamilton's p3. I fear the start from the dirty side and with Jenson behind, let's hope we can have another great race and finish very high. No matter how good or bad it's the car, Fernando always deliver :up:

Edited by kosmos, 21 May 2011 - 13:09.

Advertisement

#8352 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:11

ALONSO!!

:eek: :love: :clap:

If only there was a bow smiley. i bow to you Fernie.

#8353 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:13

:cat: Alonso pushing very hard to be able beeing on podium!! The war till not is over yet!!!

PUXA NANDO!!!!

#8354 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:21

woow,
alonso on 4, a step forward.

great qualy pace of fernando :up:

#8355 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:22

It was a mega lap by Fernando. One of the best laps of his career :up:

#8356 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:23

It was a mega lap by Fernando. One of the best laps of his career :up:

:love: best driver forever....new ferrari contract give him wings!!!!

#8357 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:34

Guys..Something terrible happened...My livestream got stuck and i missed the magician's lap.Please post a link of it as soon as u find it.Thankyou

#8358 Pezerinno

Pezerinno

• 26 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:43

Fantastic lap from Alonso - pleased for him to do it at his home Grand Prix.

#8359 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:47

I really doubt the Alonso of 2003-2006 had done *THAT LAP*. He has improved greatly over the years and I am sure Fernando agrees with me :up:

BTW, I am not saying he got faster with the age, I just think he gained confidence in himself with experience. There is also the fact that in Ferrari, he feels like at home ... because as most people, Fernando needs to be happy and comfortable in his job in order to perform at his best.

Advertisement

#8360 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 13:54

Awesome lap by Alonso, standout driver of quali today.

#8361 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 14:09

any interviews with alo already available?

#8362 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 14:22

I really doubt the Alonso of 2003-2006 had done *THAT LAP*. He has improved greatly over the years and I am sure Fernando agrees with me :up:

BTW, I am not saying he got faster with the age, I just think he gained confidence in himself with experience. There is also the fact that in Ferrari, he feels like at home ... because as most people, Fernando needs to be happy and comfortable in his job in order to perform at his best.

I really don't.

#8363 PoLLiN46

PoLLiN46

• 63 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 14:26

Anyone know where can I watch the Alonso onboard lap??

It was awesome

#8364 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 14:30

Fred Q3 :up:

#8365 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 14:48

Mega lap by Alonso in the end :up:

I dont know if you guys seen it, but when Alonso came into the parc ferma, he hugged Weber in jubilation and was so happy that for one second Weber thought and looked back to check if Alonso got P1 or him?! lol :lol:

#8366 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 16:19

Fernando comments his lap:

“It was a very special lap,” he said. “I arrived at turn one and I braked too late, I thought. I said maybe I will miss the corner, but luckily the car responded well and I gained some time.

“Then, for the first and probably last time this weekend, I did turn three flat, which was good.

“Then every corner it was amazing how the car responded and how confident I was getting with the car corner by corner.

“When I crossed the line I thought that even if I repeated the lap 20 times or had 20 sets of tyres, I would never repeat this lap, so I was very, very happy.”

When asked why he had been so ecstatic at qualifying fourth, Alonso explained that the lap had given him immense personal satisfaction.

“When you do one lap like this, the adrenaline you have and the excitement you feel in the car is not easy to explain by words,” he said.

“We are driving at the limit every lap, but when you go over the limit a little bit and you complete the lap, for a driver it’s very special.”

http://www.itv.com/f...ecial-lap-7690/

Nice to read words like these from him :)

#8367 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,594 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:27

Fernando comments his lap:

“It was a very special lap,” he said. “I arrived at turn one and I braked too late, I thought. I said maybe I will miss the corner, but luckily the car responded well and I gained some time.

“Then, for the first and probably last time this weekend, I did turn three flat, which was good.

“Then every corner it was amazing how the car responded and how confident I was getting with the car corner by corner.

“When I crossed the line I thought that even if I repeated the lap 20 times or had 20 sets of tyres, I would never repeat this lap, so I was very, very happy.”

When asked why he had been so ecstatic at qualifying fourth, Alonso explained that the lap had given him immense personal satisfaction.

“When you do one lap like this, the adrenaline you have and the excitement you feel in the car is not easy to explain by words,” he said.

“We are driving at the limit every lap, but when you go over the limit a little bit and you complete the lap, for a driver it’s very special.”

http://www.itv.com/f...ecial-lap-7690/

Nice to read words like these from him :)

FA - F...... Amazing :up:

#8368 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:39

Fantastic lap but still a bit depressing that we Alonso fans are all now ecstatic about getting 4th place in qualy, as if this is beyond our wildest dreams. Let's just hope for a good start and strong race pace so he can get on the podium.

#8369 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:42

Fantastic lap but still a bit depressing that we Alonso fans are all now ecstatic about getting 4th place in qualy, as if this is beyond our wildest dreams. Let's just hope for a good start and strong race pace so he can get on the podium.

True.
But we simply accepted that the car is 3rd fastest one in qualifying trim.

#8370 dutchie

dutchie

• 118 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:46

And we simply recognized it was a fantastic lap regardless of where he ended up on the grid.

#8371 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:46

dont worry guys. that will soon be over. :up: (i hope) i have full faith in the team, and Monaco could be the turning point. call me deluded, but that is how i see it.

#8372 PoLLiN46

PoLLiN46

• 63 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:51

True.
But we simply accepted that the car is 3rd fastest one in qualifying trim.

3rd???

Looking at Massi I doubt about this... I would say is the 4th or 5th cae in Qualy.... but in race is better than Renault or Mercedes

#8373 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:51

3rd???

Looking at Massi I doubt about this... I would say is the 4th or 5th cae in Qualy.... but in race is better than Renault or Mercedes

May be so, I agree with you.

#8374 joshb

joshb

• 3,336 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 17:55

alonso has got himself right in the race though. In Turkey he matched Vettel and gave Webber a hard time but he lost time to Vettel in traffic in the first stint. A good start tomorrow from 4th and even though the red bull might be too quick, he'll be right in the thick of it.

#8375 kurski

kurski

• 264 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 18:08

Er, not really? :confused: Of course YMMV, but most Finns I know, and who also follow F1, couldn't care less if I rooted for Alonso. Some don't like Kimi at all etc. So maybe best not make generalizations?

You may be right, but Alonso haters Finland, there are several.

#8376 shonguiz

shonguiz

• 1,843 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 18:11

Where did you see his lap ? i don't recall the bbc showing it.

#8377 BalazsF1

BalazsF1

• 1,019 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 19:23

http://www.motorspor...n_11052149.html

Fernando describes his lap. He says he was a bit above the limit and he thought a couple of times that he brakes too late, but he managed to turn in in every corner. He said he has had trust in his car." He joked and said that the would overtake Vettel right in the first corner. smile.gif Then he said he was a bit worried about the tyre situation because they didn't have fresh tyres.

#8378 Aieljose

Aieljose

• 676 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:32

Anyone know where can I watch the Alonso onboard lap??

It was awesome

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=LL5PMQAK

#8379 pRy

pRy

• 11,010 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:34

I think it's fair to say Alonso is getting the 100% most out of the Ferrari at the moment. I hope they give him a car he can win with soon because it's clear he still has the skill and desire to win.

Advertisement

#8380 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,049 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:36

Alonso's Q3 lap on youtube

Wasn't Perfect thou, missed a couple of apex's but his S1 was awesome.

#8381 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:40

I think it's fair to say Alonso is getting the 100% most out of the Ferrari at the moment. I hope they give him a car he can win with soon because it's clear he still has the skill and desire to win.

He's still a young man, and as a driver, he's in his prime, why wouldn't he have the desire?

#8382 northanmonkee

northanmonkee

• 115 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 21:54

mega lap by alonso , :up: however he had to drive out of his skin to only match the the maclarens , :|
although i think in general race pace the ferrari is as good or close enough to the macs to make no difference ,
he will have a disadvantage in grid slot{dirty side} and also hes used all
of his option tyres in qualifying ,the redbuls and macs have 1 set of brand new options which could make a big difference in outcome . :|

#8383 PretentiousBread

PretentiousBread

• 2,906 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 22:06

Yeah, it was slightly surprising that he raved about it being so perfect when in terms of apexes it really wasn't. But maybe that's not where the grip is for some reason, or it's a way that the drivers have to drive with the EBD because both Fernando and Webber completely missed the apexes of turns 5 and 10. But it really looks more like Alonso just got oversteer into turn 5 and then simply went deep into turn 10. He nailed every other corner, but I don't see exactly what was quite so 'special' about the lap. I think his Monza pole last year was a more special lap, completely on the limit but also visually, virtually perfect.

#8384 prty

prty

• 5,218 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 22:25

Yeah, it was slightly surprising that he raved about it being so perfect when in terms of apexes it really wasn't. But maybe that's not where the grip is for some reason, or it's a way that the drivers have to drive with the EBD because both Fernando and Webber completely missed the apexes of turns 5 and 10. But it really looks more like Alonso just got oversteer into turn 5 and then simply went deep into turn 10. He nailed every other corner, but I don't see exactly what was quite so 'special' about the lap. I think his Monza pole last year was a more special lap, completely on the limit but also visually, virtually perfect.

Turn 5 admits a few lines, I remember Schumacher a few years ago taking every lap the wide line. As I said in the other thread, with EBDs it makes more sense this year. About turn 10, that's the best line too, see the comments in this vid:

Also, it's not all about apexes, altough it's the most visual thing. It's also about the braking and throttle points he used, which apparently were a lot better than any of the Ferrari drivers laps of the weekend, and what made the time. Otherwise as you said he wouldn't have been so happy.

Edited by prty, 21 May 2011 - 22:26.

#8385 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,655 posts

Posted 21 May 2011 - 23:30

I think you really have to know what to look for to see a special lap. All these F1 drivers are very skilled and the 'difference' is made in ways that are hard to discern.

And there was no mistakes in his lap. Those alleged 'missed apexes' are perfectly good ways to get a good lap at this track.

#8386 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:30

mega lap by alonso , :up: however he had to drive out of his skin to only match the the maclarens , :|
although i think in general race pace the ferrari is as good or close enough to the macs to make no difference ,
he will have a disadvantage in grid slot{dirty side} and also hes used all
of his option tyres in qualifying ,the redbuls and macs have 1 set of brand new options which could make a big difference in outcome . :|

Basically fresh options means over a whole race distance three fresher laps (the in, out and qualy lap that they didn't do in Q3)...given that the Ferrari tends to be slightly gentler on its tyres, is that really such a huge disadvantage? surely just 3-4 seconds over a whole race? with the vastly different strategy possibilities today, it seems to me it is by no means a catastrophe...

#8387 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:32

Basically fresh options means over a whole race distance three fresher laps (the in, out and qualy lap that they didn't do in Q3)...given that the Ferrari tends to be slightly gentler on its tyres, is that really such a huge disadvantage? surely just 3-4 seconds over a whole race? with the vastly different strategy possibilities today, it seems to me it is by no means a catastrophe...

Newey said it was worth barely anything. hope so!

#8388 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:46

there is no perfect lap,
as already some have said, apex is not the only measurement for a quick lap,
and that lap by fernando in that ferrari was near to perfection but surely not perfect.
as he said after the lap "super lap". :up:

#8389 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:52

Fernando said that he don't have anything to lose and he will be attacking at the start. Let's hope for a good start (at least normal), there is a lot of meters till the first corner, there it's a high chance of losing many positions or gaining.

#8390 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:55

Fernando said that he don't have anything to lose and he will be attacking at the start. Let's hope for a good start (at least normal), there is a lot of meters till the first corner, there it's a high chance of losing many positions or gaining.

in the gp3 race there was a big crash from alonsos position 4. the driver from that place stall his car and some drivers from behind crashed into him.
lets hope that those fregments bring luck for alonso and not make the things worser for him.

#8391 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 08:59

Last year, he started from 4th on the grid too: .

I would be happy if he can repeat that start.

#8392 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:15

Last year, he started from 4th on the grid too: .

that would be okay, but why not make it even better  ;)

#8393 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 09:22

that would be okay, but why not make it even better ;)

:clap: he was speaking about catching hamilton in the first corner.......

#8394 kurski

kurski

• 264 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 10:36

Rarely seen him cheer 4th place. It must have really been something. But 4th on the grid means dirty side, which is very dirty here.

#8395 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:49

I'm very sad for Fernando, he doesn't deserve this, lapped?, really?. Amazing qulifying, amazing start, holding the fastest cars as much as he could. Ferrari is just sad.

#8396 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:50

A legendary start by Alonso which only made the subsequent humiliation and thrashing all the more painful. This race confirms what I've been trying to deny thus far: Ferrari's car and season is a disaster. :|

#8397 figue

figue

• 191 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:51

I'm very sad for Fernando, he doesn't deserve this, lapped?, really?. Amazing qulifying, amazing start, holding the fastest cars as much as he could. Ferrari is just sad.

I do agree, he doesn't deserve this, f##k you FIA, you are determined to ruin fernando's career since 2007 and won't stop until you get it :down: :down: :down:

#8398 kurski

kurski

• 264 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:54

Alonso's dream start, but the victory did not have to dream it was known that the tires would be hard to run many laps into the tube, a fifth-place was quite moderate.

#8399 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:54

I do agree, he doesn't deserve this, f##k you FIA, you are determined to ruin fernando's career since 2007 and won't stop until you get it :down: :down: :down:

erm...what??

Advertisement

#8400 pUs

pUs

• 2,553 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 13:57

:lol: Right.