Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#8501 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:04

They're were in the same situation last year where they were 1 second down in qualifying to the redbulls in spain and they managed to fight back quite well for the rest of the season. Ferrari have more updates planned for monaco and another big update planned for Canada (The same race which they turned their season around last year.) Not to mention the new exaust over run ban which could have terrible concequences for redbull. Nothing is over yet, but keep hating if it will make you feel better :p

I think what you're failing to realize is his points gap right now to Vettel relative to last year, right now Vettel leads him by 67 points. I'm not sure, but I believe at this point last year Fernando was either ahead of Vettel in points, or darn near close to it. Not to mention RBR's bigger advantage this year, not to mention that RBR still hasn't got that KERS working right, but, just as Ferrari has updates coming, RBR will get that KERS working and they also have updates.

Edited by Birelman, 22 May 2011 - 21:08.

Advertisement

#8502 zeph

zeph

• 767 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:05

I'm sure Ferrari will get better over the season, but I don't see who's gonna stop Vettel from walking away with it. Webber seems to be on a tight leash these days, and with two or three more wins for Vettel it is going to be all but impossible for the others to catch up.

#8503 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,495 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:09

This is what I like the most from Alonso: whatever happens with his driving, he will keep his cool head and be analytical.

#8504 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:15

This is what I like the most from Alonso: whatever happens with his driving, he will keep his cool head and be analytical.

:up:

#8505 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:19

Posted Image :lol: :lol:

#8506 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:26

#8507 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,495 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:38

Yep :p
Not when he is racing, of course. I meant afterwards. But then, almost no driver completely keeps his cool while driving: it's just too intense. Just remember Jack Brabham, who was said to be a collected and dignified man...

#8508 yr

yr

• 5,970 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:41

Alonso's driving is impeccable but the F150 is weaker relative to the opposition than the F60 was....much weaker. Sad.

Impeccable? Is that why he has finished twice out of five races behind Massa?

#8509 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:44

At least Alonso has yet to finish a season behind Massa :wave:

#8510 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:47

At least Alonso has yet to finish a season behind Massa :wave:

he has yet to win a Championship with Ferrari also :wave:

#8511 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:47

No driver ever beat his teammate in every single race. The difference between Massa and Alonso is obvious and clear for all to see.

#8512 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:48

Considering the car he has on his disposal and the fact that Ferrari did not win a proper title since 2004, Alonso is doing very well.

#8513 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:49

He has five years to try :rotfl:

:wave:

#8514 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 May 2011 - 21:52

Alonso is doing very well.

....and will not give up. :)

“I am definitely not thinking of giving up on the championship after just five races: the gap in the classification is very big, but everything can still happen, I'm sure of it.”

#8515 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,416 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:04

It's a shame that people that call themselves Formula 1 fans, come here after yesterdays race to troll or make fun of Alonso, people should feel a little sympathy for him no matter if they like him or not. This is a guy that gives everything in the track and makes F1 more entertaining, like it or not. Sometimes this forum it's just sad.

It's time for some people to reevaluate the way they watch F1 because something is really wrong with you if you can't appreciate what Alonso did in Barcelona in qualifying and race.

#8516 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:13

It's a shame that people that call themselves Formula 1 fans, come here after yesterdays race to troll or make fun of Alonso, people should feel a little sympathy for him no matter if they like him or not. This is a guy that gives everything in the track and makes F1 more entertaining, like it or not. Sometimes this forum it's just sad.

It's time for some people to reevaluate the way they watch F1 because something is really wrong with you if you can't appreciate what Alonso did in Barcelona in qualifying and race.

Dude, it's the same for every driver. I'd say Hamilton and Alonso usually are the most scrutinized and polarizing.

#8517 teejay

teejay

• 3,767 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:15

Im a Lewis fan.

Im a McLaren fan

But I am also a F1 fan.

You must congratulate Fernando for leading for so long yesterday.

#8518 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,053 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 03:49

Amen.

#8519 HPT

HPT

• 1,230 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 04:11

Fully agree. I am definitely not a Hamilton fan but I feel a season without him in a top car makes it less interesting. I felt the same way about Schumacher in 2005, and I really disliked him back then.

I just don't get these so-called F1 fans. Disparaging a driver seems to be their favorite past time. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Edited by HPT, 23 May 2011 - 04:11.

Advertisement

#8520 Zhuk

Zhuk

• 88 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 05:28

Honestly that was one of Alonso's best drives of his career, it's amazing what he did with the car and I am glad that Ferrari has him! well done Fernando :wave:

#8521 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 08:44

:up: Full agree +2

Fernando goes home

Fernando Alonso has returned to live in his native Spain even though it will cost him a staggering £50million in tax.

The double world champion (below) had been living in Switzerland to cut his tax bill.

Over the winter he moved back to Oviedo in northern Spain to be closer to his family and friends.

Advertisement >>
But the move will cost him a third of his staggering new £150m contract with Ferrari.

Alonso admitted: "It's great to go home. I'm happy to pay the money. I'm not poor - just a little bit less rich now."

Edited by puxanando, 23 May 2011 - 08:45.

#8522 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:51

Very wice words in todays world.

It's great to go home. I'm happy to pay the money. I'm not poor - just a little bit less rich now.

:up: :up: :up:

thx puxanando for that link :up:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 23 May 2011 - 09:52.

#8523 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,416 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:23

Really?. I thought he was living in Italy now, that was the rumor sometime ago. In hard moments like this, probably need his family and friends more than anything. Staying in Spain probably he can spend more time with his wife and do some serious karting in his circuit in oviedo.

#8524 peroa

peroa

• 8,985 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:26

Really?. I thought he was living in Italy now, that was the rumor sometime ago. In hard moments like this, probably need his family and friends more than anything. Staying in Spain probably he can spend more time with his wife and do some serious karting in his circuit in oviedo.

Didn't he buy/rent a house/apartment near the Swiss-Italian border to be close to he factory?

#8525 as65p

as65p

• 17,800 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:37

I'm happy to pay the money. I'm not poor - just a little bit less rich now.

Have to say I'm mighty impressed by him keeping such a sense of perspective. This is a very rare quality especially among people who get rich relatively early (and in the grand scheme of things, effortless) in their lifes.

#8526 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:44

I have no problem with racing drivers wanting to live abroad to avoid paying ridiculous amounts in tax as its their lives and they can do with it as they wish. The fact Fernando has declared he is moving back to Spain is admirable, and its nice to see him not getting criticized for moving away in the first place which other drivers have had to endure by jealous fans.

#8527 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 10:55

Didn't he buy/rent a house/apartment near the Swiss-Italian border to be close to he factory?

It was only rented!

#8528 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 11:03

It was only rented!

Calm down dear. :stoned:

#8529 Taxi

Taxi

• 3,074 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:17

sorry for bringing Kimi here, but honestly it seems Alonso is doing a bit what Kimi was doing in  late 2009: Pushing a dog car to its limits putting it where he does not belong. 

Alonso is driving very very well but the car and team strategy are way off Red Bull and Mclaren.

As for Massa, he being hopeless by now.

#8530 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 13:17

sorry for bringing Kimi here, but honestly it seems Alonso is doing a bit what Kimi was doing in  late 2009: Pushing a dog car to its limits putting it where he does not belong.

After a season and a bit, Kimi and Alonso both did a very good first year (championship or not, irrelevant, it was close for both) from a bad start, and a good start of the second season. One has renewed long term contract, and they were looking for a replacement for the other, even before his drop in performance. Amazing.

#8531 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 13:36

After a season and a bit, Kimi and Alonso both did a very good first year (championship or not, irrelevant, it was close for both) from a bad start, and a good start of the second season. One has renewed long term contract, and they were looking for a replacement for the other, even before his drop in performance. Amazing.

I am not sure if Ferrari regarded Kimi's 2007 season as very good. The seed of doubt was sown back then. However, Ferrari and Kimi simply never clicked in the way both parties probably anticipated. Ferrari expected a new Schumacher while Kimi expected the best team and fastest car that he will be able to use successfully with his "turn up-drive-disappear" approach. In that sense, Alonso is a much better fit. However, the car is much worse than in the 2007-8.

Edited by broooz, 23 May 2011 - 13:40.

#8532 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:23

Barna's GP 2011 start (from the grandstands):

Edited by jetalt, 23 May 2011 - 21:28.

#8533 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,655 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:32

I am not sure if Ferrari regarded Kimi's 2007 season as very good. The seed of doubt was sown back then. However, Ferrari and Kimi simply never clicked in the way both parties probably anticipated. Ferrari expected a new Schumacher while Kimi expected the best team and fastest car that he will be able to use successfully with his "turn up-drive-disappear" approach. In that sense, Alonso is a much better fit. However, the car is much worse than in the 2007-8.

Yes, I have a hunch that Ferrari was actually better car in both 2007. and 2008., especially in 2008. That's probably why Alonso is now praised eventhough his results are actually worse than Kimi's back then. What is important to Ferrari is that he is placing that car where it should be.

#8534 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:33

Barna's GP 2011 start (from the grandstands):

Another two vids:

#8535 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,541 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 21:52

Have to say I'm mighty impressed by him keeping such a sense of perspective. This is a very rare quality especially among people who get rich relatively early (and in the grand scheme of things, effortless) in their lifes.

young and dumb imo, you never ever pay if you can legally get away with it, he spends most of the year travelling anyways, as long as he has his residence in switz and doesnt spend more than 164 days ayear in spain he doesnt have to pay taxes, stupid ,mega stupid, why give away your money when you are the one risking your life to earn it.

i enjoy watching him race, but this isnt the first time i have serious doubts about either his advisors or the grey material between his ears.(this opinion is based on what has been published, could be we dont have the whole story, or all the info and he may have negotiated something special with the tax authorities and i may change it to him being or his advisors being genuis,) :p

#8536 as65p

as65p

• 17,800 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:03

young and dumb imo, you never ever pay if you can legally get away with it, he spends most of the year travelling anyways, as long as he has his residence in switz and doesnt spend more than 164 days ayear in spain he doesnt have to pay taxes, stupid ,mega stupid, why give away your money when you are the one risking your life to earn it.

i enjoy watching him race, but this isnt the first time i have serious doubts about either his advisors or the grey material between his ears.(this opinion is based on what has been published, could be we dont have the whole story, or all the info and he may have negotiated something special with the tax authorities and i may change it to him being or his advisors being genuis,) :p

I won't pretend the maths aren't on your side, that's not the point. The point is that (apparently) we have here someone who is content to be very rich and prefers a bit of personal comfort instead of striving to become mega rich.

As evident by your failure to understand even the concept, that's a very rare sight in this day and age.

#8537 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:14

I won't pretend the maths aren't on your side, that's not the point. The point is that (apparently) we have here someone who is content to be very rich and prefers a bit of personal comfort instead of striving to become mega rich.

As evident by your failure to understand even the concept, that's a very rare sight in this day and age.

I wish I knew this for a fact firsthand :cool: but I have seen it written that after you have a certain amount of money your life really doesn't change all that much if you acquire more.

I am sure right now he can afford a house wherever he wants, a jet, a yacht, etc., etc.

Sounds like having his family or friends around is worth more to him than additional luxury, especially when he most likely doesn't have the time to enjoy what he has now.

#8538 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,541 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:21

i understand the concept very well , i find it great that he wishes to share his wealth, i would find it even better if he chose to share with those in need , i find it stupid to share it with the tax authorities when he legally doesnt have to.

ten years from now when he is retired and not making the amount of money he is now we will see if he still is happy about giving the tax authorities 50 million without need.

at the end of the day it is his money and he can spend it like he wishes, as a fellow countrymen of his this doesnt make me like him more or less , as a person and business man who has to suffer those same tax authorities i think he is stupid but thats me and if in him paying they reduce my tax bill i will send him a thank you note.

#8539 DLaw

DLaw

• 1,613 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:22

I wish I knew this for a fact firsthand :cool: but I have seen it written that after you have a certain amount of money your life really doesn't change all that much if you acquire more.

I am sure right now he can afford a house wherever he wants, a jet, a yacht, etc., etc.

Sounds like having his family or friends around is worth more to him than additional luxury, especially when he most likely doesn't have the time to enjoy what he has now.

And giving something back to the country........

Brilliant qualifying lap and the opening laps, great champion.

Advertisement

#8540 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:31

i understand the concept very well , i find it great that he wishes to share his wealth, i would find it even better if he chose to share with those in need , i find it stupid to share it with the tax authorities when he legally doesnt have to.

ten years from now when he is retired and not making the amount of money he is now we will see if he still is happy about giving the tax authorities 50 million without need.

at the end of the day it is his money and he can spend it like he wishes, as a fellow countrymen of his this doesnt make me like him more or less , as a person and business man who has to suffer those same tax authorities i think he is stupid but thats me and if in him paying they reduce my tax bill i will send him a thank you note.

you realize a couple of months back there was talk of Spain quite possibly needing an EU/EMF bailout right? You also do realize their Economy is crap? There's been week long protests over unemployment that's as far as I recall almost 21% (ie 1 in 5 people doesn't have a job) ... and youth unemployment is over 40% (ie almost 1 in 2 young people can't get a job).

I think they kinda "need" money too ... and it's good PR for somebody in Alonso's shoes to say hey, I m moving back to Spain and paying my taxes.

#8541 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,541 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:46

you realize a couple of months back there was talk of Spain quite possibly needing an EU/EMF bailout right? You also do realize their Economy is crap? There's been week long protests over unemployment that's as far as I recall almost 21% (ie 1 in 5 people doesn't have a job) ... and youth unemployment is over 40% (ie almost 1 in 2 young people can't get a job).

I think they kinda "need" money too ... and it's good PR for somebody in Alonso's shoes to say hey, I m moving back to Spain and paying my taxes.

i live there, i know the situation very well, if you think the solution is paying more taxes well you are in for a big surprise,

if he wants to spend money as a PR exercise, in my view there are smarter and better ways than giving your money to the tax authorities.

as i actually know some of the lawyers who handle some of his affairs, i am not so sure the situation is exactly as published reason for my comments in parenthesis, but as i said before at the end of the day it is his money and he spends it as he pleases.

#8542 zeph

zeph

• 767 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 22:56

Can anybody here on this forum really say that life with $150,000,000 is better than life with only $100,000,000?

I don't even know how I'd spend that money in three lifetimes with 700 grandkids.

#8543 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 00:29

Can anybody here on this forum really say that life with $150,000,000 is better than life with only $100,000,000?

I don't even know how I'd spend that money in three lifetimes with 700 grandkids.

I guess people don't realize that money is not everything. How good is to have so many millions living isolated in a palace at a foreign place when your friends and family are far away. At this time most people could "retire" with just 10 million regardless of age.

When having hundreds of millions there is a point where money is just a number on a piece of paper. Not everyone is a Bernie Ecclestone.

Edited by fabr68, 24 May 2011 - 00:30.

#8544 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:34

If that was the case, then Ferrari are idiots. They knew what Kimi was like. He had been in F1 for 6 years at the time. Its not like he is magically going to change his entire personality just because he comes to Ferrari.
And a season where he won the drivers championship wasnt very good? Alrighty then. :drunk:
He struggled a bit with adapting to the car and the Bridgestones at first but when he got it working he won 2 more races than his rivals. I also see people in here excusing Alonso for not wiping the floor with Hamilton in 2007 - and the reason given were the tires.

in fact......rookie was FA.....from Michelin to Bridgestone....

Funny how that works..

Yes, I have a hunch that Ferrari was actually better car in both 2007. and 2008., especially in 2008. That's probably why Alonso is now praised eventhough his results are actually worse than Kimi's back then. What is important to Ferrari is that he is placing that car where it should be.

What the heck do you mean, a better car? It won both championships in 07 and one in 08. Almost 2. Anything else you are trying to assume or conclude is pure fiction and speculation. I suspect you are trying to imply that Alonso would have flattened the field if only he had been in the car then. Pure fantasy and wishful thinking without any evidence to back it up with. In fact, the 07 McLaren is widely regarded as the best car that year. Pretty evenly matched on speed but edging ahead of the Ferrari due to its better reliability. And Alonso didnt set the world on fire with that car.

And if anyone starts complaining about trolling or something, my sole reason for responding to these posts are because of their obvious logical fallacies and flawed guesswork.

#8545 as65p

as65p

• 17,800 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:37

Exactly, that's all it says to me, no more. I won't even go as far and speculate if he want's to give something back and to whom. All I gather from it is that he isn't greedy, which is nice.

#8546 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,655 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:58

What the heck do you mean, a better car? It won both championships in 07 and one in 08. Almost 2. Anything else you are trying to assume or conclude is pure fiction and speculation. I suspect you are trying to imply that Alonso would have flattened the field if only he had been in the car then. Pure fantasy and wishful thinking without any evidence to back it up with. In fact, the 07 McLaren is widely regarded as the best car that year. Pretty evenly matched on speed but edging ahead of the Ferrari due to its better reliability. And Alonso didnt set the world on fire with that car.

No, I'm trying to suggest that Ferrari was a better car, especially in 08, and overall equal or a bit better in 07. This is my 'hunch' as I wrote earlier, speculation based on Massa performances in 07/08 compared to 10/11 performances. Another basis for this is the fact that Kimi was a bit alienated from Ferrari in 08 already. Okay, I'm sure that one of the positives of having Alonso over Kimi is Alonso being more marketable and bringing Santander, but I don't think it would be worth all the fuss for getting rid of Kimi if Kimi had perform better than they thought Alonso would.

Not that anyone would 'flatten' anything.

Edited by velgajski1, 24 May 2011 - 06:01.

#8547 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:09

No, I'm trying to suggest that Ferrari was a better car, especially in 08, and overall equal or a bit better in 07. This is my 'hunch' as I wrote earlier, speculation based on Massa performances in 07/08 compared to 10/11 performances. Another basis for this is the fact that Kimi was a bit alienated from Ferrari in 08 already. Okay, I'm sure that one of the positives of having Alonso over Kimi is Alonso being more marketable and bringing Santander, but I don't think it would be worth all the fuss for getting rid of Kimi if Kimi had perform better than they thought Alonso would.

Yea, Massa is performing horribly though, I haven't seen him drive this bad since his early time at Sauber, and that's saying a lot. He didn't even look this bad in his first year at Ferrari alongside Schumacher.

#8548 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:21

Yea, Massa is performing horribly though, I haven't seen him drive this bad since his early time at Sauber, and that's saying a lot. He didn't even look this bad in his first year at Ferrari alongside Schumacher.

I would agree with those saying that Massa is performing at his 2007-8 level now and that the only difference is Ferrari car being way slower now than back then.

Massa is the only yardstick we have and I see no reason why wouldn't it be reliable. The difference between Kimi-Massa and Alonso-Massa relative speeds are most logically explained that way. Before this season begun, many predicted Massa would have his alleged tyre diffuculties solved. However, the gap to Alonso, if anything, got larger. No, the tyres are not an excuse and it goes equally for Kimi, Massa and Alonso.

Edited by broooz, 24 May 2011 - 06:25.

#8549 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,898 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:26

Ok, then. I see what you mean. But I am afraid that Massa as a yardstick against Alonso has been compromised. So I dont quite agree on that bit.

I would agree with those saying that Massa is performing at his 2007-8 level now and that the only difference is Ferrari car being way slower now than back then.

Massa is the only yardstick we have and I see no reason why wouldn't it be reliable. The difference between Kimi-Massa and Alonso-Massa relative speeds are most logically explained that way.

There is no way that Massa is performing like he did in 07-08. I am convinced that an injury to the brain and being in a coma have taken away those tenths of a second that made him special. Its visible and very unfortunate. And he is not the first driver to experience this.
The only time I have seen him on fire since early 2009 was Germany last year. He had the panazz but still lacked a bit of speed. Sadly that confidence boost was taken away from him when Alonso inherited the win.

This of course, is hard to prove with numbers. But I am sure most people have noticed that Massa is changed. Both on and off the track.

#8550 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 06:30

There is no way that Massa is performing like he did in 07-08. I am convinced that an injury to the brain and being in a coma have taken away those tenths of a second that made him special. Its visible and very unfortunate. And he is not the first driver to experience this.
The only time I have seen him on fire since early 2009 was Germany last year. He had the panazz but still lacked a bit of speed. Sadly that confidence boost was taken away from him when Alonso inherited the win.

This of course, is hard to prove with numbers. But I am sure most people have noticed that Massa is changed. Both on and off the track.

That is your opinion and it's not supported by any evidence. What I see is the very same Massa driving a lesser car against a faster teammate. His Germany 2010 performance was very good indeed and it fits well with equally inspired drives of the past, like Hungary 2008. They were rare back then as they are now.

And of course, there's no doubt that the car is way slower now and in 2010 than it used to be in 2007-8.

Edited by broooz, 24 May 2011 - 06:32.