Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#8751 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 15:21

Fernando drove magnificently. I would have loved if he had won the race. It is just a shame that the red flag came in the worst moment but that's racing!

Well done, Fernando. Keep on that way! :) :up:

Advertisement

#8752 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 15:25

Great race Fernando!

Well done,
i think vettels luck will have an end very soon.
keep on fighting. :up:

#8753 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 16:45

I cannot remember when did the incidents act in the very same way and in favour of the same driver twice during the same weekend. Not that Vettel did not drive good, of course.

Alonso was brilliant, beating 3 out of 4 faster cars and scoring an excellent 2nd place.
Admittedly, the Ferrari car was better suited to this track than to most of the past ones bit this result is nevertheless brilliant!

#8754 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,548 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:22

EXCELLENT DRIVE NANDO! :cool:

Looking forward to Montreal and the updates. His driving has truly been world class in a car that makes it hard to show it. Well done Fernando! Good luck to you, Felipe and Ferrari. It's time for the Prancing Horse to race past the Raging Bulls! :lol:

#8755 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:44

Who else laughed when Alonso bowed to the Prince of Monaco? :lol:

Posted Image

#8756 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:47

Posted Image

:cat: He do it because he has a King in his country.......

Great race from Nando! :clap: :clap: Never give up, will catch this Vettelbull!!

#8757 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 17:52

:cat: He do it because he has a King in his country.......

Great race from Nando! :clap: :clap: Never give up, will catch this Vettelbull!!

for me, he is doing the same thing Michael was in 96-99.

great driving. but i feel it it will take less than 3 weeks to get this car fast rather than 3 years. ;)

#8758 Flamini

Flamini

• 799 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:06

Really good last three races :up:

#8759 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:08

well done fernando great drive :up:

Advertisement

#8760 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:20

Fernando is consistently doing what people like to call "exceeding the limits of the car". Of course, it in fact means "approaching the very limits of the car extremely close"....and that's the mark of really great drivers. He's been doing that in Renault and now in Ferrari. That explains his mistakes too, as the margin for catching the error is very small. He brought back this top quality to Ferrari that was last seen during the Schumacher era and I, as a Ferrari fan, am extremely happy to watch him race for Ferrari, even when the car is not good enough to win! Today was one such a race, a wonderful display of driving mastery.

#8761 weston

weston

• 370 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 18:32

Fernando is consistently doing what people like to call "exceeding the limits of the car". Of course, it in fact means "approaching the very limits of the car extremely close"....and that's the mark of really great drivers. He's been doing that in Renault and now in Ferrari. That explains his mistakes too, as the margin for catching the error is very small. He brought back this top quality to Ferrari that was last seen during the Schumacher era and I, as a Ferrari fan, am extremely happy to watch him race for Ferrari, even when the car is not good enough to win! Today was one such a race, a wonderful display of driving mastery.

As for me, not yet, but he is on the right track.
Fernando is in his prime years and had a good race today.
He prasises Schumacher a lot because he knows now how hard to build a top quality winning team in Maranello and it takes time to turn things around.

#8762 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 19:15

As for me, not yet, but he is on the right track.
Fernando is in his prime years and had a good race today.
He prasises Schumacher a lot because he knows now how hard to build a top quality winning team in Maranello and it takes time to turn things around.

Yes. Somehow, Ferrari is an environment that requires really special drivers for success on a consistent basis, people like Lauda, Schumacher and Alonso. Ferrari, it seems, carry an inherent organizational glitch that simply require a strong driver with leadership qualities to put it right. That's why Kimi-Ferrari pairing was doomed from the very beginning.

#8763 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 519 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 19:18

The best part at the moment is Fernando is relaxed and enjoying every second of every race and for the first time it is really showing, the last three races he's been smiling at the end even though he didn't win.

#8764 dav115

dav115

• 716 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 19:20

I thought both Ferrari drivers did well to keep it out of the walls (until Massa got damaged and went off onto the marbles) this weekend, that car looked like it was squirming all over the place, but Fernando has been just sublime recently - The phrase hard to love, easy to admire comes to mind...

#8765 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,628 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 19:41

great drive by alonso today :up:

#8766 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,396 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 19:56

Yes. Somehow, Ferrari is an environment that requires really special drivers for success on a consistent basis, people like Lauda, Schumacher and Alonso. Ferrari, it seems, carry an inherent organizational glitch that simply require a strong driver with leadership qualities to put it right. That's why Kimi-Ferrari pairing was doomed from the very beginning.

I dont believe that at all. I think Ferrari were ultimately more successful overall with Kimi and Massa.

#8767 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 20:10

great drive by alonso today :up:

That's what is making me to enjoy a lot even if the hopes for the championship are getting smaller and smaller. Alonso is clearly back to what he once used to be, no mistakes, good class and solid results given the car and the circumstances. Hard times for his bashers from now on it seems.

#8768 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 20:23

That's what is making me to enjoy a lot even if the hopes for the championship are getting smaller and smaller. Alonso is clearly back to what he once used to be, no mistakes, good class and solid results given the car and the circumstances. Hard times for his bashers from now on it seems.

especially after today  ;)

#8769 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 20:44

I dont believe that at all. I think Ferrari were ultimately more successful overall with Kimi and Massa.

In terms of results so far, yes but not because of Kimi and Massa but because of the impetus inherited from the Schumacher-Todt-Byrne-Brawn superteam. That impetus was spent by 2009 (anyone could have taken a few titles with the 2007-8 cars and the drivers in fact did quite averagely, maybe even badly) and neither Kimi nor Massa were the right people to "restart" the team. Ferrari is now in a rebuilding phase after many changes and it takes an Alonso to do it. With a Kimi, the downfall would merely continue until the permanent status-quo of higher midfield just like during the Berger-Alesi years.

Edited by broooz, 29 May 2011 - 20:46.

#8770 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 20:54

A great job by Fernando today- Ferrari were right to sign him and to re-sign him to a longer contract. There are very few drivers who could carry the team as he does.... :up:

#8771 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 21:12

A great job by Fernando today- Ferrari were right to sign him and to re-sign him to a longer contract. There are very few drivers who could carry the team as he does.... :up:

:up: It is such inspirational performances that are needed by Ferrari in the situation like this. Of course, in years like 2002 or 2004, there are no opportunity nor need for them but that's the kind of driving that brought Ferrari ever forward 1996-2000.

Edited by broooz, 29 May 2011 - 21:13.

#8772 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 22:03

To me Alonso is better than ever. In '05/'06 he was the young talent who had a team built around him, much the same way RBR has been built around Vettel . Like Vettel now, he had it all handed to him because of his talent.

'07 and the subsequent dismal '08/'09 seasons have made him a better man. He has added patience, perseverance and vision to his natural abilities.

Once that Ferrari gets up to speed, things are going to get real ugly for the others.

#8773 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,037 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 22:11

This is a quote from a book called "Forza Minardi", by Simon Vigar (great book, you will all love it!), which gives some hints on that. It was written in 2006, hence the reference to "Schumacher's heir"; this paragraph refers to Alonso's qualifying at Imola 2001:

"Autosport's F1 guru Mark Hughes believes Fernando is Michael Schumacher's true heir, and he has done so since that weekend at Imola. "I particularly recall bumping into Gustav Brunner [Minardi technical director] shortly after qualifying. I commented that he looked a bit shell-shocked. 'Yes, I know the areo figures of this car, I know the power figures, the torque and power curves. But I don't know how those figures could possibly translate into the lap time that car has just done. I can only believe that it must be the driver - he must be doing things beyond what nearly all the other drivers are doing.'"

#8774 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 22:20

Posted Image

That is how Generals pay respect.

:cool:

#8775 Bren

Bren

• 52 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:05

Fernando knows the championship is lost, but so does everyone. the pressure is off, slightly.
it seems to me that he is enjoying the racing, as was said up above, he is smiling and happy after the last few races.

As Brundle said, he is the man who never gives up and i think we may see a win for Fernando this year, of course, it all depends on where RBR and Vettel are with Strat and luck.

#8776 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:19

Wait for the Canada up-date on the Ferrari. If it is a winner, the fight will be on. So far Alonso did a lot damage control in the third best car.

#8777 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,026 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 06:40

Posted Image

Nice of him to do that.

#8778 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,667 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 08:23

Prince: Are you ok Fernando?.
Girl: haha, you luck funny.
Alonso: Ahh!, my back hurt.

#8779 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:51

Alonso about race and Vettel in german

What a great soprtman alonso is, he is saying that vettel is driving fantastic and he would give him a 10 out of 10 in this season till now.
the way to be: respecting others and paying tribute where it is due :up:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 30 May 2011 - 11:52.

Advertisement

#8780 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:52

i honestly cant wait till canada. apparently ferrari plan to have the car to win on merit, so will be exciting.

#8781 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:11

Alonso about race and Vettel in german

What a great soprtman alonso is, he is saying that vettel is driving fantastic and he would give him a 10 out of 10 in this season till now.
the way to be: respecting others and paying tribute where it is due :up:

:up: It's his way to be...very different of driver like hamilton.

#8782 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 842 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:38

Not much to be said for Alonso @ Monaco. Realistic, great drive, extracted the best of the situation (as always). GG Vettel.

#8783 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,667 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 15:35

This guys don't rest isn't?, after a hard and long race, a football match.

Posted Image

Edited by kosmos, 30 May 2011 - 15:36.

#8784 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 16:25

This guys don't rest isn't?, after a hard and long race, a football match.

Posted Image

You can watch the match online here: http://www.tvdream.n...etta-streaming/ (20:30)

:wave:

#8785 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 17:04

i honestly cant wait till canada. apparently ferrari plan to have the car to win on merit, so will be exciting.

Ferrari also "planned" to be fighting for victories from the first race this year. I'm not holding my breath for Canada.

#8786 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 17:06

Ferrari also "planned" to be fighting for victories from the first race this year. I'm not holding my breath for Canada.

well sometimes things dont go to plan. i have faith.

#8787 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 17:26

To some people Alonso is the best, and to some people he is not the best. To some other people he may or may not be the best - they think they can't know that much since there are so many variables completely out of the drivers control affecting results (you can include me in this group). Just let everyone have their favourite. I'm sure we can live with this.

#8788 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 17:35

difficult - not to say impossible....

Immediately after the race, I said the fight for the title was getting ever more difficult, not to say impossible. Sure, if Vettel ends up winning a race in which we felt there was a chance of victory, then you get a feeling of disappointment, but that does not mean will not continue working hard at the track and back home on developing the car.

:up:

#8789 Cesc

Cesc

• 773 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 18:03

I would tell you why I think that Alonso is currently better:

1. He´s fast in any condition and any car. I see Alonso as the ultimate benchmark. That is, if you want to know how fast a car can be, sit Alonso in it.

2. He´s a very good handling the car once in the race: It is difficult to find a weakeness in his driving. Handles tires very well, he´s quite/very good overtaking, his race pace is extremely competitive, doesn´t do too many mistakes... (considering the car he has been driving in recent years, he has not done many)

3. Ultimate competitor: It is very difficult to get as many points as he can (with the same car) in a season long. Even in his most difficult year (2007, not to mention 2008 or 2009 when he was not a title contender), he was only 2 points away from the title.

Vettel is still a '?' in some aspects:

1. He´s great in quali, but his race trim seems to be a little bit less competitive (we don´t know if that is because of the configuration of the RB or because of his abilities).

2. In 2010, when he was not in front was quite prone to do stupid mistakes adn a little bit spoiled behaviour (that´s probably due to the age).

3. Except in 2008, Vettel has been driving the best/fastest car of the grid for the last 2/3 years.

4. He was not much faster than Webber neither in 2009 nor in 2010. This year seems to me a little bit weird in that sense as Webber suddenly is 0,5 seconds slower than Vettel (for those who always critisize Ferrari for having only one driver...).

Conclusion, I would like to see Vettel driving races like some of the most Alonso´s great: Hungaroring 2003 & 2006, Suzuka 2005 & 2006, some in 2004 when the R24 was underperforming towards the end of the year... there are many. I would like to have the impression that Vettel wins a race without having the fastest car (and please, don´t mention Monza 2008 as the unique example, it was a very rare race and the Toro Rosso was simply great that day - Bourdais qualified 4th).

Too long I think...

Edited by ForeverF1, 31 May 2011 - 10:08.
Enough with the calling of names. Removed "Oh, oh... a lot of "fanboyism" around."

#8790 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 18:42

Too long I think...

No it's OK and I quite agree with you. But you have to remember that Fernando is pretty much the finished product and Sebastian is at the very beginning of his career.

Fernando has seen it all, took on Schumacher won in not the fastest car and drove fantastic and uncompetitive machinery for 4 different teams. We've seen Fernando in all situations and he's a known quantity.
Sebastian has a few more years to grow, to score some victories where he takes full credit and less so the car and to build some heroic drives like you mentioned Fernando has.

I think Seb is capable of that and we're lucky to see two of these great talents fight, maybe one day together in the same team.
One can dream can't we, Vettel and Alonso 6 world titles between them in a 2014 Ferrari. :cool:

#8791 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,037 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 19:33

No it's OK and I quite agree with you. But you have to remember that Fernando is pretty much the finished product and Sebastian is at the very beginning of his career.

Fernando has seen it all, took on Schumacher won in not the fastest car and drove fantastic and uncompetitive machinery for 4 different teams. We've seen Fernando in all situations and he's a known quantity.
Sebastian has a few more years to grow, to score some victories where he takes full credit and less so the car and to build some heroic drives like you mentioned Fernando has.

I think Seb is capable of that and we're lucky to see two of these great talents fight, maybe one day together in the same team.
One can dream can't we, Vettel and Alonso 6 world titles between them in a 2014 Ferrari. :cool:

In this sense, I think that Button has enhanced the value of his WDC, which many people considered "reduced" because of the car he had, with his performances at McLaren. So yes, I agree there is no reason for Vettel not to do the same.

#8792 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 20:47

Posted Image

#8793 billkaos

billkaos

• 159 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 00:02

Alonso has been very competitive in 3 different teams. IMHO that settles it.

#8794 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 10:04

Alonso has been very competitive in 3 different teams. IMHO that settles it.

#8795 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 16:19

Video from yesterday's match:

Edited by showtime, 31 May 2011 - 16:22.

#8796 Cesc

Cesc

• 773 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:09

Id say 4 05,06,07,10

One thing is a "very fast car", the other thing is THE FASTEST.

As you mention in this list, Alonso had a very god car in 2010, but was not the fastest. Vettel had/has in 2010 and 2011 the fastest with a significant difference versus the other cars.

As I remember, Alonso never had a clear advantage in term of car. Had a superb car in 2005 but the Maclaren was fastest for the most part of the season. The same can be said of 2006. He had a superb car, but again, the Ferrari was fastest for the 60% of the season at least... In 2007 he had internal issues I don´t want to rise again, but the Ferrari was fastest in many races... and so, and so...

So the conclusion to me is that Alonso neer has had the best of all cars for a season long. In that case, the championship would be over quite long in advance...

#8797 broooz

broooz

• 108 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 19:51

One thing is a "very fast car", the other thing is THE FASTEST.

As you mention in this list, Alonso had a very god car in 2010, but was not the fastest. Vettel had/has in 2010 and 2011 the fastest with a significant difference versus the other cars.

As I remember, Alonso never had a clear advantage in term of car. Had a superb car in 2005 but the Maclaren was fastest for the most part of the season. The same can be said of 2006. He had a superb car, but again, the Ferrari was fastest for the 60% of the season at least... In 2007 he had internal issues I don´t want to rise again, but the Ferrari was fastest in many races... and so, and so...

So the conclusion to me is that Alonso neer has had the best of all cars for a season long. In that case, the championship would be over quite long in advance...

Alonso had equal best cars in 2005 and 2006 but not in a single season so far he enjoyed clearly the best car.

#8798 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,667 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 04:15

Video from yesterday's match:

And some pics.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8799 V8 Fireworks

V8 Fireworks

• 5,417 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:01

1. He´s fast in any condition and any car. I see Alonso as the ultimate benchmark. That is, if you want to know how fast a car can be, sit Alonso in it.

:confused:

How abouts do you prove that?

What about when Alonso was out qualified by Piquet Jr?

Advertisement

#8800 Outsider

Outsider

• 495 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 06:08

:confused:

How abouts do you prove that?

What about when Alonso was out qualified by Piquet Jr?

that one time in Germany in tricky conditions?