Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#8901 topical

topical

• 2,107 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 18:10

Great result. Now let's take the win tomorrow. Hopefully it'll stay dry but there's no reason why Fred can't do well in the wet as well.

Advertisement

#8902 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 19:17

From twitter :lol:

Cuando un Ferrari se accidenta, para que nadie vea detalles del coche en su traslado al box lo tapan con #LaGorraDeAlonso

Lo de #LaGorraDeAlonso solo podría empeorar si además Fernando vistiese #ElMonoDeMcLaren

#lagorradealonso es la que evitó la lluvia en Montreal en la Q3

La única manera de que Ferrari le haga sombra a Red Bull es con la visera de #LaGorraDeAlonso

Translated:

When a Ferrari crashes, for nobody to see car details, it is covered with #AlonsosCap

The only way #AlonsosCap could get worse is if he also wore #McLarensSuit

#AlonsosCap is the thing that made the rain not fall in Montreal Q3

The only way for Ferrari to shade Red Bull is with the #AlonsosCap visor

Next Race of Champions will take place in #AlonsosCap

Edited by prty, 11 June 2011 - 19:22.

#8903 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 13:09

I have no words...

:lol:

#8904 Menace

Menace

• 12,319 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 16:56

It is a little ironic Alonso is now sporting the flat bill caps cue. Kimi Raikkonen and Ken Block. :p I was a little surprised to see him in the Qualifying PC wearing one, not that I care since I think they look ok, just cant get myself to wear an oversized cap that covers my hair and ears (nor does my wife let me :p )...

#8905 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:18

Ferrari couldn't make it worse and even after that mess look where Button ended...

#8906 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 21:25

What a pity!

sad day for fernando, where he surely had the chance to win it.
normally i would say punish button, but then this would mean another victory for vettel, so i go for a punishment which doesnt change the result, i know it is not very objective, but better button than another vettel win.

#8907 KavB

KavB

• 1,098 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 22:53

A shame for Alonso. I thought Ferrari would excel in the race today, but unfortunately it wasn't to be. Such a shame to see one of the best drivers in F1 having such an awful season at one of the top teams. Hopefully everything will go well soon!

#8908 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:21

:o Black day for Alonso & his fans...to many yet this season.....

#8909 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:25

He should start taking other drivers out of the race, you don't get any penalty. But be careful with your wing, if you break it even if the other car is not damaged you'll be punished! Crazy...

#8910 slmk

slmk

• 4,398 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:31

This was not a good day all in all for him. Bad luck, bad strategy (thanks to the team) and a so-so pace (well at least in the early parts of the race).

It's sad because the weekend had gone so well for him overall...

If only the race had been in dry conditions...

Edited by slmk, 12 June 2011 - 23:31.

#8911 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,758 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 23:45

If only the race had been in dry conditions...

he was supposed to be some sort of wet god, however massa was all over him the wet part of the race

#8912 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 00:13

I find it funny that Alonso is getting crap for his driving today. Button is wet master yet it was the other way around in Korea last year, and Massa has done his fair share of donuts in the wet in the past.

Ferrari's decisions today were frustrating, especially the inter decision when they knew heavy rain was coming. It's a shame that the race ended up wet, but lets not forget Alonso has had some great races previous to Montreal.

#8913 Enzoluis

Enzoluis

• 984 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 00:24

I find it funny that Alonso is getting crap for his driving today. Button is wet master yet it was the other way around in Korea last year, and Massa has done his fair share of donuts in the wet in the past.

The critics to his driving are made because Massa, that as you pointed is not the rainmaster, were faster than him, first time since who remembers when. And everybody blaming to the team for the tire change, when the most probably was decided between FA and the team because of his slow pace.

#8914 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 00:57

he was supposed to be some sort of wet god, however massa was all over him the wet part of the race

Felipe was faster when the race started but there were no team orders in favor of the faster driver even though both are out of the WDC. So much for that intra rule. Of course that rule was BS last year as well...

#8915 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:22

Felipe was faster when the race started but there were no team orders in favor of the faster driver even though both are out of the WDC. So much for that intra rule. Of course that rule was BS last year as well...

Ferrari misteriously pitted Alonso when it made no sense. That looked like team orders if you ask me. So what happened after Ferrari pitted Alonso and left Massa on free air?. Last time I checked, Massa was nowhere near getting Vettel. It was useless.

#8916 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:25

Ferrari misteriously pitted Alonso when it made no sense. That looked like team orders if you ask me. So what happened after Ferrari pitted Alonso and left Massa on free air?. Last time I checked, Massa was nowhere near getting Vettel. It was useless.

Just because Felipe wasn't able to catch Vettel doesn't mean he wasn't faster than Alonso during the opening laps and that Alonso wasn't holding him up (because he was). But of course that point will go over your head. Yet so many of you Alonso fanboys said that the faster driver should be let through last year. Remember? When the shoe is on the other foot...

Edited by VicR, 13 June 2011 - 01:27.

#8917 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:29

Just because Felipe wasn't able to catch Vettel doesn't mean he wasn't faster than Alonso during the opening laps and that Alonso wasn't holding him up (because he was). But of course that point will go over your head. Yet so many of you Alonso fanboys said that the faster driver should be let through last year. Remember? When the shoe is on the other foot...

Massa was let through. Alonso was pitted when Massa was faster. However, Massa was useless with his supposedly "faster" pace. He was nowhere near Vettel so stop moaning.

#8918 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 01:36

Massa was let through. Alonso was pitted when Massa was faster. However, Massa was useless with his supposedly "faster" pace. He was nowhere near Vettel so stop moaning.

OK, Felipe was let through because Alonso pitted for inters as he had no pace on the full wets. Alonso is not very good in the wet. OK.

#8919 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:06

Plus, Massa seemed to have the measure of Alonso all weekend long, wet, or dry.

Advertisement

#8920 topical

topical

• 2,107 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 04:20

Yeah, that's why he qualified behind him. Yet again. :rolleyes:

#8921 as65p

as65p

• 17,352 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:39

There's no doubt that Massa was closer than lately, indeed looked faster on the full wets, so kudos to him for that.

But let's not forget that he binned it all of his own making, plus historically Canada isn't exactly Alonsos best, track more the contrary.

So in short Massa had a good chance to really make his mark but yet in the end he failed and only got a so-so result.

#8922 kryziuotis

kryziuotis

• 142 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:44

Just because Felipe wasn't able to catch Vettel doesn't mean he wasn't faster than Alonso during the opening laps and that Alonso wasn't holding him up (because he was).

Wow, it seems everybody is so used to Massa being miles behind, that when he shows similar but still slower pace (yes slower) it transforms into "Alonso was holding him". Please check fia timing information. Alonso was faster in all but one lap before he pitted. And even in free air Massa couldn't go any faster, his best time on lap 18 was 1:34.234, and Alonso did 1:34.223 before that.
So compliments to Massa showing almost the same pace as Alonso, but everyone who argues, that he was faster, should check with reality.

#8923 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:46

And everybody blaming to the team for the tire change, when the most probably was decided between FA and the team because of his slow pace.

how can alonso be blamed when he has no rain radar to look at :confused:

#8924 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:02

Fernando was awfully UNLUCKY yesterday, that's all, but another day race the lady luck will be on his side again, so I won't complain.

#8925 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:04

Wow, it seems everybody is so used to Massa being miles behind, that when he shows similar but still slower pace (yes slower) it transforms into "Alonso was holding him". Please check fia timing information. Alonso was faster in all but one lap before he pitted. And even in free air Massa couldn't go any faster, his best time on lap 18 was 1:34.234, and Alonso did 1:34.223 before that.
So compliments to Massa showing almost the same pace as Alonso, but everyone who argues, that he was faster, should check with reality.

:up:

Massa was as fast as Fernando AT BEST.

#8926 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:38

Does anyone know, why alonso was not helped on track again by the marshals,
whereas other drivers were already in similar situations?

#8927 dau

dau

• 4,569 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:42

Does anyone know, why alonso was not helped on track again by the marshals,
whereas other drivers were already in similar situations?

They tried to push him, but weren't able to as he was beached on the kerbs. He then left the car, so probably something was damaged as well.

#8928 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 10:43

They tried to push him, but weren't able to as he was beached on the kerbs.

in case of hamilton (germany 07) he was putted back on track via lift truck.

He then left the car, so probably something was damaged as well.

are there any informations about that

#8929 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:06

Hilarious to see Alonso gets blamed for getting punted off the track. Not surprised at all. This thread is useless like that.

#8930 Dusty

Dusty

• 274 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:08

Yesterday just wasn't Alonso's day.

#8931 glasgowman

glasgowman

• 108 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:34

Alonso to me is still the best driver on the grid, he drove out his skin on saturday (so did massa), He is being let down by having a mediocre car and a poor strategic decisions.

the title has gone ferrari would be better poaching new staff from other teams start development of next years car.

but in saying that with the banning of off throttle exhausts we might see a levelling of performance amongst the cars

the one thing im still curious about is why he has signed to 2016 does he know something we dont! like future staff signings.

#8932 Outsider

Outsider

• 495 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 11:48

Alonso to me is still the best driver on the grid, he drove out his skin on saturday (so did massa), He is being let down by having a mediocre car and a poor strategic decisions.

the title has gone ferrari would be better poaching new staff from other teams start development of next years car.

but in saying that with the banning of off throttle exhausts we might see a levelling of performance amongst the cars

the one thing im still curious about is why he has signed to 2016 does he know something we dont! like future staff signings.

i bet he does and i can bet that on a good ammount of money

#8933 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:25

mediocre? i guess you were watching a different race, because the Ferraris were 2nd and 3rd.

that excuse doesnt work. Alonso was just unlucky, and it was just a bad day. but to blame it on the car, the same car that felipe massa was using to fight for the win before his accident?

@YellowHelmet they changed the rule about that after the crane incident. see China the same year.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 13 June 2011 - 12:27.

#8934 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,753 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:27

Alonso was faster in FP1, FP2, FP3 and Qualifying and was leading Massa before he pitted in the race.

edit: I didn't even notice it was you Birelman.....just having some fun aren't you? :D

Edited by Watkins74, 13 June 2011 - 12:30.

#8935 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:30

@YellowHelmet they changed the rule about that after the crane incident. see China the same year.

thx :up:
forgot that

#8936 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:33

Hilarious to see Alonso gets blamed for getting punted off the track. Not surprised at all. This thread is useless like that.

This thread is useless but not for the reasons you think it is. But hang in there, soon somebody will start showiing pictures of Alonso playing soccer, cooking or doing whatever and you guys can start drooling again.

#8937 Kohque

Kohque

• 359 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:40

mediocre? i guess you were watching a different race, because the Ferraris were 2nd and 3rd.

that excuse doesnt work. Alonso was just unlucky, and it was just a bad day. but to blame it on the car, the same car that felipe massa was using to fight for the win before his accident?

Agree :up:

I think the Ferrari last weekend was slightly faster on the dry than the RBR and the McLaren.

#8938 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:42

This makes me wonder. He was supposed to be this this master car developer and his race craft is second to none. Now he's just the driver and according to you he doesn't have a say on when to stop for tires or what type of tires to use.

#8939 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:43

This makes me wonder. He was supposed to be this this master car developer and his race craft is second to none. Now he's just the driver and according to you he doesn't have a say on when to stop for tires or what type of tires to use.

very informative post, thank you for that :up:

Advertisement

#8940 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:54

I feel sorry for Fernando. I have the feeling that he would have easily fought for the win or at least a solid podium yesterday if it wasn't because of that incident with Button AND despite of another strategic blunder by Ferrari. He wasn't that fast with full wet tyres for some reason, of course (just like Jenson, the race winner, btw). There are rumours here in Spain that say Alonso had problems with his KERS in the first laps, but given that Ferrari PR hasn't said nothing yet, I have my doubts. I know it is just speculation at the end of the day, but Alonso himself said that he was more comfortable driving intermediate tyres.

#8941 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 12:55

He doen't have a weather radar on his stearing wheel, you know...

#8942 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 425 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 13:11

As someone who did not really liked Alonso past 2006 I gotta say his comments and behaviour so far this season really surprised me in a very positive way :up:

He's always there and never gives up, he's really the only man the Scuderia can count on, since it seems their leadership has some fundamental problems right now. Hope he keeps his attitude and Ferrari realises that "True team leader flagbearer"-thing is just a big pile of PR bull**** they eventually tricked themselves to believe in.

#8943 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 14:44

Posted Image
:cat: he found his 'parking'!

I know it's not a new one but here it is. I don't want you guys to go cold turkey.

#8944 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 16:26

Yet before starting he knews that it would not be "his day".

Posted Image

#8945 HAM

HAM

• 531 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:27

Interesting Autopsort interview, he is not giving up the title yet. Lol. Kudos for that, not very realistic, but good for the spirit and hope.

#8946 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 12:53

FA&LH in Cars2:

#8947 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,861 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 14:44

Interesting Autopsort interview, he is not giving up the title yet. Lol. Kudos for that, not very realistic, but good for the spirit and hope.

As the team leader it's the right thing to do, but he is now almost 100 points off the leader, that's almost 4 races.

It's me or there is a pattern lately for Alonso, like good race-bad race-goood race and so on.

#8948 HAM

HAM

• 531 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 16:04

In all fairness Alonso does a quite good job in that dodgy Ferrari, for sure taking it to the car limits.

#8949 kimifanatic

kimifanatic

• 58 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 17:58

Alonso is really great driver, I was not fan of his but he has changed and I respect him now. I think he made a wrong decision leaving Mclaren at the end of 2007, He could've won the 2008 championship and put hamilton in his place. Without the transition of the tyres in 2007 he could've beaten hamilton hands down, why I am bringing hamilton here is to clear misconception that alonso is 2nd to hamilton. But with the support of the team in 07 he could've have continued with McLaren and might have won many GPs and championships.

Now with ferrari it will take too much of the time and may be he will never get an opportunity again.

#8950 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 18:39

Alonso is really great driver, I was not fan of his but he has changed and I respect him now. I think he made a wrong decision leaving Mclaren at the end of 2007, He could've won the 2008 championship and put hamilton in his place. Without the transition of the tyres in 2007 he could've beaten hamilton hands down, why I am bringing hamilton here is to clear misconception that alonso is 2nd to hamilton. But with the support of the team in 07 he could've have continued with McLaren and might have won many GPs and championships.

Now with ferrari it will take too much of the time and may be he will never get an opportunity again.

Alonso left Mclaren because he wasn't happy there but as a FA Fan I'm sad that that relationship didn't work out. I still remember how excited I was when it was announced Alonso would join Mclaren. Nobody expected such news and I remember I was shocked that morning of December 19, 2005.

On the contrary, nobody was surprised when Ferrari announced FA as the next Ferrari Driver.

In conclusion, Mclaren is better than Ferrari at hiding secrets :cool: