Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#9101 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 15:11

Congratulations to Alonso. It's good to see a driver on the podium at a home country race.

Advertisement

#9102 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,699 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 15:11

Good race from alonso today :up:

#9103 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 15:13

Alonso is too good for Ferrari. They fked up his strategy again. Alonso to Red Bull next year? What a man, what a driver. I really think him and Vettel are the top dogs in F1 today.

#9104 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 15:18

Alonso was epic today. Followed the live timing and his pace was a match for both Red Bulls until the final pit stops. Vettel was too quick on the hard tyre. Great performance from Fernando :up: :up:

#9105 topical

topical

• 2,268 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 15:44

Alonso is too good for Ferrari. They fked up his strategy again. Alonso to Red Bull next year? What a man, what a driver. I really think him and Vettel are the top dogs in F1 today.

God are you dumb or what? Didn't you know he recently just extended his contract by about 5 years?

#9106 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 16:26

:up: Alonso with Ferrari famiglia till the end.........

#9107 as65p

as65p

• 17,695 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 16:53

Should have qualified in P2 but made another mistake.

Should have finished third but did one better another time.

#9108 Atic Atac

Atic Atac

• 328 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 17:42

On the plus side, it seems that the hard tyre issues has been solved. Pace was not bad and miles better than Barcelona

#9109 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 17:48

this was medium tyre, not hard tyre.

and not aero track so bound to be better than barcelona.

Edited by ZooL, 26 June 2011 - 17:49.

#9110 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 18:30

God are you dumb or what? Didn't you know he recently just extended his contract by about 5 years?

Haha I know. But come on, Ferrari are totally clueless in strategy, race in and race out. Busy reorganising the factory and wind tunnel for about three years now. I like Ferrari a lot but imagine what wouldv happened if Alonso wasnt there. No way Di montezemolo wouldv put up with all these management errors.

#9111 IamFasterthanU

IamFasterthanU

• 164 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 20:11

Great race by fred today. The car didn't deserve to finish 2nd, still he kept pushing and produced a error free drive.

#9112 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 20:26

:up: Alonso GRANDE!!!

#9113 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 21:33

Ferrari was the best car on race day yes.

If that was the case, Alonso would have beaten Vettel today or at least finished only a few tenths of a second behind Sebas (which didn't happen).

The Red Bull was easily the best car again, the only problem was that Webber underperformed pretty badly compared to Sebas AGAIN.

#9114 Concorde

Concorde

• 782 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 21:44

:up: Alonso GRANDE!!!

Yes he really came true for his fans today, a mark of a great champion to never give up and always fight back during the season.

impressive :up:

#9115 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 22:44

If that was the case, Alonso would have beaten Vettel today or at least finished only a few tenths of a second behind Sebas (which didn't happen).

The Red Bull was easily the best car again, the only problem was that Webber underperformed pretty badly compared to Sebas AGAIN.

I don´t think so. I have the feeling that in a time trial full race distance the Ferrari was faster. Track position and Webber interference decided the win.

#9116 casegfx

casegfx

• 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2011 - 23:29

Yup with engine maps rule change surely red bulls ~0.5sec pace advantage in qualy as compared to their race pace should diminish to more reasonable level

lets hope so

#9117 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 855 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 04:39

Grande P2. Almost flawless driving, great move against Webbo.

#9118 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 05:05

I don´t think so. I have the feeling that in a time trial full race distance the Ferrari was faster. Track position and Webber interference decided the win.

Webber's interference? They were fighting for position. For Alonso to have a go at Vettel, he needs to get rid Webber first and he did so on Lap 22.

Alonso problem was that he could not close the gap to Vettel from Lap 22-30 when he was in the 2nd position. The consequence was that he lost the 2nd place to Webber who undercut him during the 2nd round of pitstop.

If Alonso could have gone faster between Lap 22-30, he would have done so. Apparently he could not and 2nd was the best possible placing for him.

#9119 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:31

Fernando got his car right in place after the start several corers in to the race. Got a say a bit surprised withthe way how Massa dashed the grids. Great efforts fromt he team. ext time on the top step. I am getting bord with looking at this Vettel boy on the podium too often there.

Advertisement

#9120 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:50

Webber's interference? They were fighting for position. For Alonso to have a go at Vettel, he needs to get rid Webber first and he did so on Lap 22.

Alonso problem was that he could not close the gap to Vettel from Lap 22-30 when he was in the 2nd position. The consequence was that he lost the 2nd place to Webber who undercut him during the 2nd round of pitstop.

If Alonso could have gone faster between Lap 22-30, he would have done so. Apparently he could not and 2nd was the best possible placing for him.

Yeah I know. I´m not saying he should get out of the way or anything, that´s stupid. But following Webber made him lost a lot of time, and he lost live on his tyres too. He was fast enough to pass him on track and then couldn´t pull away, that´s not usual, I think his tyres were hurted. Just saying that in a race with only Alonso and Vettel on track, he would have a good chance to beat him. He had very good pace.

#9121 as65p

as65p

• 17,695 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:51

Good feeling. I had another two [feelings] that McLaren and Mercedes were faster too, if driven properly. So really the logical conclusion is that the RB7 is a quite average piece of kit...

#9122 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,248 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:56

Interesting fact about Fernando this year, he and Vettel are the only drivers to qualify always in the top 5 (in qualifying).

#9123 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 09:56

Good feeling. I had another two [feelings] that McLaren and Mercedes were faster too, if driven properly. So really the logical conclusion is that the RB7 is a quite average piece of kit...

No need to get silly. Sorry about hurting your feelings (you´re quite sensible, uh??), but the Ferrari yesterday could challenge the Red Bull just as the Mclaren did around Catalunya. In both cases they didn´t get the win because Red Bull started in front, but they had better cars on Sunday.

#9124 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:08

Wooow,
what a great race by Fernando :up:

Grande Alonso :up:

I know we are not yet there to win a race, but we were during some parts of that race able to challenge the best team in the f1 this year.

#9125 as65p

as65p

• 17,695 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 10:58

No need to get silly. Sorry about hurting your feelings (you´re quite sensible, uh??), but the Ferrari yesterday could challenge the Red Bull just as the Mclaren did around Catalunya. In both cases they didn´t get the win because Red Bull started in front, but they had better cars on Sunday.

BS. In Barcelona Hamilton was pushing Vettel with a car that would clearly have been able to lap faster in clean air, he just didn't find a way past. Yesterday Alonso could barely hang on to Vettel, in fact Vettel was able to turn up the wick whenever he felt like it.

If you seriously believe the relative car performances at these two races were similar then sorry, you need to watch and learn a few more years.

#9126 kurski

kurski

• 264 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 11:53

Fernando got his car right in place after the start several corers in to the race. Got a say a bit surprised withthe way how Massa dashed the grids. Great efforts fromt he team. ext time on the top step. I am getting bord with looking at this Vettel boy on the podium too often there.

Yes Alonso good start and good race yesterday.

#9127 FTATRWeSaluteYou

FTATRWeSaluteYou

• 473 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 13:14

God help us when Alonso gets Ferrari sorted out, Hes going to be near unstoppable, the way hes driving right now. I feel Alonso's best years are coming, and they are just around the corner. The time of Alonso is at hand. Expect battles between Vettel and Alonso in the coming years and this will be a rivalry that will be remembered forever. Vettel and Alonso, the champions of their era.

#9128 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 13:17

Excellent race by Alonso - the start had me worried - but what a recovery!

#9129 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 14:26

BS. In Barcelona Hamilton was pushing Vettel with a car that would clearly have been able to lap faster in clean air, he just didn't find a way past. Yesterday Alonso could barely hang on to Vettel, in fact Vettel was able to turn up the wick whenever he felt like it.

If you seriously believe the relative car performances at these two races were similar then sorry, you need to watch and learn a few more years.

In Barcelona Hamilton was directly behind Vettel, so the parts of the stints where he was faster it showed on screen, and even average Joe could see it. Alonso had Webber in front when he was going faster than both Red Bulls, and average Joe was looking another direction.

#9130 as65p

as65p

• 17,695 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 17:41

In Barcelona Hamilton was directly behind Vettel, so the parts of the stints where he was faster it showed on screen, and even average Joe could see it. Alonso had Webber in front when he was going faster than both Red Bulls, and average Joe was looking another direction.

I take that as you claiming to see what nobody else could see, and indeed that seems to be the case, 'Joe Special'. :wave:

#9131 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 17:43

:up:

#9132 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 18:45

I take that as you claiming to see what nobody else could see, and indeed that seems to be the case, 'Joe Special'. :wave:

No, no need to be a genius to see it. It´s enough being out of the "OMG Red Bull is unstoppable, that´s why Vettel beats -insert your driver´s name here-" bandwagon. Red Bull is best car overall, but it´s because they´re much better on Saturday and almost as good as anyone else on Sunday.

Edited by Skinnyguy, 27 June 2011 - 18:48.

#9133 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,438 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 19:07

From what I saw following live timing while watching the race, every time Vettel felt threatened by either Alonso or Webber he just upped his pace and put some clear air between himself and them. Granted it was only a few tenths at a time but he had an answer for everything they threw at him nonetheless.

What is scary is that Vettel is mighty fast but just as easy on his tyres as Alonso and maybe even more so. I firmly believe that the tyres are what separates Vettel from the rest. He is clearly enjoying them.

#9134 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 19:25

From what I saw following live timing while watching the race, every time Vettel felt threatened by either Alonso or Webber he just upped his pace and put some clear air between himself and them. Granted it was only a few tenths at a time but he had an answer for everything they threw at him nonetheless.

That was how I saw it too. And from Canada* (where it went wrong for them) I think we can see that this is how Vettel and RBR like to run their race: get a 3s gap, conserve the tyres and car and hold that gap, turn up the wick and respond when you need to.

*Vettel found about 3s per lap of pace from when Button passed Schumacher, whereas Jenson (pressumably from a drying track and lower fuel load) found 1s. In other words, it seems that up until the point he had to speed up, Vettel had been driving around 1-2s a lap within what he could do.

#9135 as65p

as65p

• 17,695 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 19:54

That was how I saw it too. And from Canada* (where it went wrong for them) I think we can see that this is how Vettel and RBR like to run their race: get a 3s gap, conserve the tyres and car and hold that gap, turn up the wick and respond when you need to.

*Vettel found about 3s per lap of pace from when Button passed Schumacher, whereas Jenson (pressumably from a drying track and lower fuel load) found 1s. In other words, it seems that up until the point he had to speed up, Vettel had been driving around 1-2s a lap within what he could do.

I also remember Vettel himself stating after Canada that his mistake was cruising too much in the laps before Button became a threath, which tallies well with the above.

#9136 Iridescent

Iridescent

• 347 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 21:04

but the Ferrari yesterday could challenge the Red Bull just as the Mclaren did around Catalunya.

Uh, no. And it is pretty much evident from the teams' telemetry but since you mentioned the "average Joe" - then it was to be seen easily in the last stint on the medium tyre. P2 came as an overachievement since Red Bull Racing had such a good pace on Sunday, and also a bit more on reserve.

#9137 revmeister

revmeister

• 222 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 21:26

While not disputing that RedBull are still ahead, Alonso lost about three seconds and track position by staying out too long on his second stint. Had he pitted the same time as Weber he might have retained P2 and put some pressure on Vettel. Weber gave the position back after the third stop, but by then Alonso had lost his opportunity to have a go at Vettel. Perhaps he might have forced an error.

The good thing was that Vetel didn't just drive away and a second per lap as was the case in other races. I think Ferrari have drawn a little closer.

#9138 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 22:16

What is scary is that Vettel is mighty fast but just as easy on his tyres as Alonso and maybe even more so. I firmly believe that the tyres are what separates Vettel from the rest. He is clearly enjoying them.

Wrong. He is not pushing and thus his tyres are better at the end of his stint. Australia 1st stint, Barcelona last stint suggest that when he is pushing hard his tyres are falling off.

#9139 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 22:34

'ALONSOMANIA'

Advertisement

#9140 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,213 posts

Posted 27 June 2011 - 22:37

Vettel keeps an ace under his sleeve.

He knows the RB7 is head and shoulders above the others so he doesn't neet to stress the engine or cause serious tire wear.Whenever he is being threatened, he steps up a little bit and the true difference between his car and the others' becomes evident. It's a car runing at 100%, for a 70% of the race (others), against a car running at 85% for a 90% of the race (RB7).

Edited by Nitropower, 27 June 2011 - 22:38.

#9141 Zhuk

Zhuk

• 88 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:21

Alonso is in amazing form this year, he continues to impress me with his unrelenting spirit and his skill and determination. Hopefully next year Pat Fry will deliver him a car that can finally win him his 3rd world championship :clap:

#9142 topical

topical

• 2,268 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:38

Vettel keeps an ace under his sleeve.

He knows the RB7 is head and shoulders above the others so he doesn't neet to stress the engine or cause serious tire wear.Whenever he is being threatened, he steps up a little bit and the true difference between his car and the others' becomes evident. It's a car runing at 100%, for a 70% of the race (others), against a car running at 85% for a 90% of the race (RB7).

But then why can't Webber do the same? I've always been a bit sceptical about Vettel, but I have to say that this year he is really impressing me. Yes, without a doubt the Red bull is the class of the field, but Vettel is really using it to the maximum.

#9143 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 09:47

'ALONSOMANIA'

thank you very much for that :up:

#9144 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,438 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 11:47

Wrong. He is not pushing and thus his tyres are better at the end of his stint. Australia 1st stint, Barcelona last stint suggest that when he is pushing hard his tyres are falling off.

Ok, how do you explain his pace in comparison to Webber then? It is one of two things; either Vettel is exceptional on these tyres or Webber hasn't adapted. I don't think Webber hasn't adapted because he is faster than most... Vettel is just able to switch the tyres on quicker than anybody else, this allows him to get a lead in the early laps and coast from there.

#9145 as65p

as65p

• 17,695 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:01

Ok, how do you explain his pace in comparison to Webber then? It is one of two things; either Vettel is exceptional on these tyres or Webber hasn't adapted. I don't think Webber hasn't adapted because he is faster than most... Vettel is just able to switch the tyres on quicker than anybody else, this allows him to get a lead in the early laps and coast from there.

But that's what Webber himself keeps saying. And frankly I see it as the only logical explanation as to why he can't push Vettel like he did last year.

#9146 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 12:08

... why he can't push Vettel like he did last year.

Maybe is just that a combination of mechanical issues and mistakes by Vettel + Webber getting away with most of his mistakes made Webber look close to Vettel last year. Because this 2011 scenario is the normal between this two guys for me. If Seb had decent reliability last year, no one would be saying that he "pushed Vettel".

#9147 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,248 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 15:58

Q&A: How Has Alonso’s Driving Changed From His Renault Days? with Peter Windsor:

http://www.totalf1.c.....rmula 1 News)

Looks like BBC is recording something today at Maranello with Fernando.

Posted Image

Edited by kosmos, 28 June 2011 - 16:03.

#9148 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 16:37

RBR says that Webber didn't adapted to Pirellis. And you can see that he is struggling with them. Vettel is faster than Webber on this tyres, he pulls away to 3-4 seconds lead, then he is managing his tyres. Others doesn't have this luxury. Kudos to him, but let's keep this comparition for him and his teammate only. When he was pushed like in Aussie and Barcelona his tyres felt off before Hamilton's.

Edited by nbhb, 28 June 2011 - 16:39.

#9149 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,811 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 16:41

Looks like BBC is recording something today at Maranello with Fernando.

Posted Image

kosmos - That is a great picture. I love the 2 era's represented in the same photo.

Edited by Watkins74, 28 June 2011 - 16:41.

#9150 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,950 posts

Posted 28 June 2011 - 16:51

is that Niki Lauda?