Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#9401 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,556 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:35

Excellent drive by Alonso. Very measured, mature and classy performance.

Advertisement

#9402 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:54

Great drive by Alonso. Does anyone have an idea how he gained a second in S2 on everyone else?

#9403 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 06:11

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by kosmos, 11 July 2011 - 06:15.

#9404 ZuTiMa

ZuTiMa

• 358 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:02

Great drive by Alonso. Does anyone have an idea how he gained a second in S2 on everyone else?

Yes.... I also noticed that on live timing.... he average about 0.7 to 1.2 sec just in sec 2 ???

Is this not the sector where the Ferrari would have battled most? being a very fast sector?

#9405 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,219 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 07:37

Great drive and a superb victory for FA. :up:
He ticks all the boxes, does Fernando but there is one thing about him that impresses me the most - when you see him talk in an interview about the car or the race he "inspires" absolute confidence.
Prior to the race I was watching his interview, to a track side reporter on Saturday, and listening to him speak about his chances I was sure that he'd win the race.
And I've witnessed quite a few of his interviews when he conveys his view points and felt the same. Last year after Silverstone lot of people mocked him when he said that he'd fight for the WDC but I knew that he meant it and would do exactly the same.

I still can't get over the fact that he is not with McLaren and still don't forgive him for some of the things he did and said when he was with them in 2007 but I don't mind acknowledging that this man can deliver results and forges the team ahead.

#9406 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:19

Posted Image

:rotfl: :rotfl: what a pic. classic Jonah

Yes.... I also noticed that on live timing.... he average about 0.7 to 1.2 sec just in sec 2 ???

Is this not the sector where the Ferrari would have battled most? being a very fast sector?

Upgrades :smoking:

@kosmos, my favourite is when he shows the steering wheel.

Edited by SCUDmissile, 11 July 2011 - 08:22.

#9407 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:33

Posted Image

so great, this is gonna be my wallpaper from now on.

thank you for that :up:

#9408 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:23

Upgrades :smoking:

Earlier in the race he was overtaken by Hamilton, but right after the second pit stop he was 1-2 seconds faster than the entire field. In some laps this was almost exclusively because of S2. Unless that superior performance (vs. Red Bull) was because of the mixed weather conditions, Ferrari could be very strong in the second half of the season.

#9409 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:39

In the first part of the race with intermediates, he didn't push, he was being very cautious, even when Hamilton overtaked him, he was OK with it, he was thinking in the long term not in the moment, I don't remember where did I hear this, I believe it's on Ferrari.com audio archive.

#9410 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 10:48

In the first part of the race with intermediates, he didn't push, he was being very cautious, even when Hamilton overtaked him, he was OK with it, he was thinking in the long term not in the moment, I don't remember where did I hear this, I believe it's on Ferrari.com audio archive.

a genius :up:

#9411 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:39

so great, this is gonna be my wallpaper from now on.

thank you for that :up:

Do not forget this. It's nice too.

http://img192.images...2/5738/gazv.jpg

#9412 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 20:53

has this being posted?

can't find the english version

#9413 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 21:33

FA's Q3 lap Silverstone'11:

#9414 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 00:56

Alonso loses the truck of driver´s parade

lol :rotfl:

I LOVED that moment! :cool: Saw that on Fox Deportes (Big Ups to the person who let us know that we could see the race there Live instead of waiting for FOX re-broadcast!)

It was great seeing Fernando drive Ferrari's first F1 winner. Then after posing for pix, he sprints to try and catch up with the other drivers on the back of the truck. Then he blasts past EVERYONE during the race to take an historic victory for the Scuderia! Simply a PERFECT day for him and his fans! :love:

Edited by PoleMan, 12 July 2011 - 00:57.

#9415 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:58

Cars 2 from Pixar congratulate Alonso for the Silverstone victory :up: :lol: , Lewis and him are on the movie in case you didn't know.

#9416 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:22

I LOVED that moment! :cool: Saw that on Fox Deportes (Big Ups to the person who let us know that we could see the race there Live instead of waiting for FOX re-broadcast!)

It was great seeing Fernando drive Ferrari's first F1 winner. Then after posing for pix, he sprints to try and catch up with the other drivers on the back of the truck. Then he blasts past EVERYONE during the race to take an historic victory for the Scuderia! Simply a PERFECT day for him and his fans! :love:

its a shame that we in the BBC didnt see this. probably interviewing Christian Horner at the time...

#9417 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:29

Alonso's win at Silverstone in the Ferrari.

Priceless feeling :up:

Fernando must be over the moon. It wasn't long ago he said his favourite Grand Prix to win are his home race, Monaco and Silverstone in that order so he must be chuffed.

#9418 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:33

Fernando must be over the moon. It wasn't long ago he said his favourite Grand Prix to win are his home race, Monaco and Silverstone in that order so he must be chuffed.

dont forget monza! :D

Edited by SCUDmissile, 12 July 2011 - 09:34.

#9419 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:50

I rate Alonso very high, very complete and consistent performer, but the way Jarno Trulli was promptly neutralized by his manager Briatore as soon as he started outperforming him on Sunday (in qualifying he had been always just as fast) has left a bitter taste. But he does give Massa a beating who now looks average and over the hill.

Advertisement

#9420 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,855 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:52

dont forget monza! :D

True Monza 4th, forgot that one. :)

#9421 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:53

I rate Alonso very high, very complete and consistent performer, but the way Jarno Trulli was promptly neutralized by his manager Briatore as soon as he started outperforming him on Sunday (in qualifying he had been always just as fast) has left a bitter taste. But he does give Massa a beating who now looks average and over the hill.

The main strength of ALO is his consistent, strong race pace. Still, in 2003 he outperformed Trulli and up to time he was in Renault in 2004 wasn't that far behind him, even having two retirements more.

#9422 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 09:54

@ jetalt: thank you for :up:

@ others: thank you for the nice videos :up:

about the qualy lap video: it seems that alonso had a small shift error in luffield, maybe without that we are even fast enough for pole?

#9423 JKTRacing

JKTRacing

• 186 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:15

He missed a couple of apexes, I've seen a lot better from Fernando, a perfect lap would have put him on pole. Maybe weather/early in Q3 to blame

#9424 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 15:37

Some nice words from Jean Alesi:

The cream rises to the top, and I shall remember this race for a long time because of Fernando Alonso’s performance. Today was a great comeback from Ferrari. From a drivers perspective seeing Fernando fight the car and the conditions on every lap and take this inspired win has made this, for me, one of the best British Grands Prix I’ve seen.

#9425 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 16:08

Although im a Seb fan, I actually loved the way he planned this race.

Absolutely Prost-esque.

Infact I found it eerily similar to Prost's masterclass in Estoril 87. In both races, Prost then and Alonso now,
a) started cautiously (even conceding a place: prost to alboreto and alonso to hamilton)
b) before having a more combative middle period with well timed pit stops
c) and finally finishing off with great pace.

Interestingly both of them took the lead due to errors made by the leader (Berger's spin in Estoril 87 and Vettel's slow pit stop in Silverstone 11), but they probably would have taken the lead even if the errors were not made, coz such was the pace they displayed towards the end.

Edited by gillesthegenius, 12 July 2011 - 16:10.

#9426 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 16:20

Although im a Seb fan, I actually loved the way he planned this race.

Absolutely Prost-esque.

Infact I found it eerily similar to Prost's masterclass in Estoril 87. In both races, Prost then and Alonso now,
a) started cautiously (even conceding a place: prost to alboreto and alonso to hamilton)
b) before having a more combative middle period with well timed pit stops
c) and finally finishing off with great pace.

Interestingly both of them took the lead due to errors made by the leader (Berger's spin in Estoril 87 and Vettel's slow pit stop in Silverstone 11), but they probably would have taken the lead even if the errors were not made, coz such was the pace they displayed towards the end.

:up:

#9427 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 16:52

Some nice words from Jean Alesi:

:love: :up:

#9428 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,594 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 17:07

has this being posted?

can't find the english version

You don't want to see the English one, they are horribly dubbed. I assume that's the original Spanish version because it actually sounds like his voice.

#9429 Kohque

Kohque

• 359 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 17:18

You don't want to see the English one, they are horribly dubbed. I assume that's the original Spanish version because it actually sounds like his voice.

Yes, it was posted before. I think they need him to make the car look a bit faster :lol:

If you watch the latest episode of Top Gear, the comparison between then new Nissan Whatever to older cars make you think if it is worth to buy a new lemon car instead of a used one for the same money.

#9430 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 17:21

thats italian, but yeah. i quite liked the glasses guys dubbed voice. :lol:

#9431 Unbiased

Unbiased

• 414 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 17:31

Great drive by Alonso.

Yes the regulations helped, but Ferrari also stepped up. And the championship is open, it is between Vettel and Alonso, no one else.

#9432 KavB

KavB

• 1,149 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 17:37

I think it's too early to say that the championship is open. Alonso needs to beat Vettel a few more times, and show that the Ferrari can consistently fight for victories. There's only one driver on the grid I can see making a fantastic comeback and that's Alonso.

The fact that he's third in the WDC just shows what a great season he is having despite the lack of results.

#9433 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,594 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 17:43

thats italian, but yeah. i quite liked the glasses guys dubbed voice. :lol:

So it was his voice ;)

#9434 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 19:53

New blog post

What a great feeling, winning again! And I’m revelling in it all the more now I’m back home in Oviedo. When a Grand Prix is over, there is a rush of emotion, but then there are so many things to do, what with press conferences and the debrief, so you have to stay very focussed. But the following morning, you wake up happy and there’s a truly special feeling that goes with it. And I have to say I’m still feeling that way now!

I haven’t spent too much time thinking about the technical reasons behind the win in the British Grand Prix. Each race has its own story and we know only too well how much things can change when you go from one track to another. There were definitely some major improvements on the car, which mean it feels much easier to drive now and you can feel it much more stuck to the ground than before, especially in the fast corners. That means it’s got more aerodynamic downforce, which was the area where we trailed our main rivals the most. However, I don’t think the changes to the engine mapping were a factor: we were quicker specifically at the part of the track where you practically don’t have to brake, which means it is the actual car that is going well.

This win won’t change our approach to the coming races. We have to be realistic, because we are 92 points behind in the classification and that is a very big gap! We will tackle the races one at a time, trying to win as many as possible. This will also involve taking a few more risks and maybe it will happen that we pay a high price for that, but there is no alternative. We are definitely not giving up, but we must not think about the championship: as Montezemolo said yesterday in Maranello, we are keeping our feet on the ground.

On Sunday morning, I had great fun doing a couple of laps in the 375 F1 which brought Ferrari its first championship Grand Prix win back in 1951. I had already driven a very similar car, the 375 Indy, in Valencia at the Ferrari Days event. It definitely takes a bit of getting used to with a very different pedal arrangement, with the accelerator on the left and the brake on the right. The engine power to tyre grip ratio is the complete opposite of the cars we drive today. You need to change your driving style to go quickly, but it was a wonderful experience. Sure, back then, not only did the drivers need to be incredibly talented, but they also needed a good dose of craziness!

There was a special atmosphere at Silverstone on Sunday. The crowd is always very big there and they are all very involved in the event. For us it felt different and I can’t explain why: maybe it was because we wanted to do well on this important anniversary in our history. Ever since I have been with Ferrari, there have often been unusual coincidences between my wins and special moments. For example, on my debut in red in Bahrain last year, or the first time I raced for the Scuderia at Monza. Now this win has come, sixty years after Gonzalez took the victory. I hope there will be many more moments like this!

#9435 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,053 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 21:42

Posted Image

Posted Image

wow :up:

#9436 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 03:35

Posted Image

Pretty cool cover but a shame that they only acknowledge the rules row as the motive for the win, maybe in the inside they say other thing, will have the digital version in a bit, I will report back the score, probably another 10 :)

#9437 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 04:50

lol Autosport and its headlines, couldn't been more sensationalist. But I guess it's ok as it's what it sells now.

If in the next race Ferrari is able to beat RBR again I hope they say sorry or something, :p, as they are painting something that still is not so sure as Ferrari may have trully improved.

Although the AWESOME part is very nice :D

Edited by Hole, 14 July 2011 - 04:54.

#9438 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,409 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:07

Ok, another 10 for Alonso,

Australia Alonso 7
Malaysia Alonso 7
China Alonso - 7
Turkey Alonso - 10
Spain Alonso 10
Monaco Alonso 10
Canada Alonso 7
Valencia Alonso 10
Silverstone Alonso 10

Average: 8.6

Lovely to read Edd Straw, in order to give credit to Alonso or writting stuff like this: "When the car that isn't quite the best -in other words, the current Ferrari- he still the driver who the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel truly fear.", first he have the need to remember the crashgate in the first line of the column. Oh, the bitterness.

Adrew van de Burgt [Autosport editor]:"Ferrari and Fernando Alonso clearly did a brillant job. It's just pity that we don't know whether they won on merit, or it's because some teams had one arm tied behind their back." :drunk:

What about they won on merit showing that Ferrari has done a real progress in this race but helped to some degree (yet to be seen) by the regulations?.

It's so hard to be fair when it comes to Alonso and Ferrari.

#9439 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:38

I expected nothing less.

Advertisement

#9440 Kohque

Kohque

• 359 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:46

Ok, another 10 for Alonso,

Australia Alonso 7
Malaysia Alonso 7
China Alonso - 7
Turkey Alonso - 10
Spain Alonso 10
Monaco Alonso 10
Canada Alonso 7
Valencia Alonso 10
Silverstone Alonso 10

Average: 8.6

Lovely to read Edd Straw, in order to give credit to Alonso or writting stuff like this: "When the car that isn't quite the best -in other words, the current Ferrari- he still the driver who the likes of Lewis Hamilton and Sebastian Vettel truly fear.", first he have the need to remember the crashgate in the first line of the column. Oh, the bitterness.

Adrew van de Burgt [Autosport editor]:"Ferrari and Fernando Alonso clearly did a brillant job. It's just pity that we don't know whether they won on merit, or it's because some teams had one arm tied behind their back." :drunk:

What about they won on merit showing that Ferrari has done a real progress in this race but helped to some degree (yet to be seen) by the regulations?.

It's so hard to be fair when it comes to Alonso and Ferrari.

Awesome! :cool: :up:

#9441 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,137 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 06:57

lol Autosport and its headlines, couldn't been more sensationalist. But I guess it's ok as it's what it sells now.

If in the next race Ferrari is able to beat RBR again I hope they say sorry or something, :p, as they are painting something that still is not so sure as Ferrari may have trully improved.

Although the AWESOME part is very nice :D

They haven't said sorry about misrepresenting Ferrari's Sunday morning stance to a final rule agreement, either. :down:

#9442 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,137 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:00

(...)
(...)

And it's doubly ridiculous if they drivers who know the car say that it feels much better and has better downforce, which very obviously could not have been caused by the EBD reductions. I doubt the McLaren or RBR drivers could say that about their own cars.

#9443 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:10

They haven't said sorry about misrepresenting Ferrari's Sunday morning stance to a final rule agreement, either. :down:

Yeah, I noted that in one of my previous post as well. It will be interesting to know how they arrived at the conclusion that the only reason Alonso won, as per the headline, was the temporary regulation change... If Ferrari win in Germany I expect to hear that the FIA have found another way to slow down Red Bull especially here in the forums because Ferrari receive more money, have a technical veto and receive favours from the authorities. Todt, above all things, has Rosso Corsa running through his veins.

It's hard being a Ferrari fan on the Autosport forums.

#9444 as65p

as65p

• 17,787 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:14

And it's doubly ridiculous if they drivers who know the car say that it feels much better and has better downforce, which very obviously could not have been caused by the EBD reductions. I doubt the McLaren or RBR drivers could say that about their own cars.

I think it's a bit useless to engage in heated discussions about all this when a definitive answer is less than 10 days away. After the next race we'll all have a much better idea of how much of Ferraris Silverstone performance was down to the EBD mess and how much to the cars updates.

#9445 Kohque

Kohque

• 359 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:24

I think it's a bit useless to engage in heated discussions about all this when a definitive answer is less than 10 days away. After the next race we'll all have a much better idea of how much of Ferraris Silverstone performance was down to the EBD mess and how much to the cars updates.

Yep, that seems Stefano's philosophy: Let the car do the talking. :)

#9446 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 07:30

Yeah, it's only off throttle downforce that was affected and Ferrari, as well, will be getting back what they lost with regulation change. In the 1st and 2nd sector which require braking they pretty much matched Red Bull which was not uncommon in previous races. If Red Bull lost out as much as we are made to believe then in previous races they should have been much faster than Ferrari in the sectors that require braking. In fact, in Valencia, Alonso was just as fast as the Red Bull in the first 2 sectors but lost 4 tenths in the 3rd where the fast sweepers are. In Silverstone it remained pretty much the same as Valencia in the braking sectors but Ferrari matched them in through the fast stuff.

#9447 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:15

if you take a look at Fernandos blog on here, it pus this in a nutshell.

common sense that is. :up:

#9448 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 08:48

Everyone hates those, who are the best. (team that is)

#9449 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:16

:lol: even more hard in any german forum........

#9450 as65p

as65p

• 17,787 posts

Posted 14 July 2011 - 09:25

:lol: even more hard in any german forum........

It's part of the thrill, though. Wouldn't have it any other way...  ;)