Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#9751 teejay

teejay

• 3,709 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 00:58

Im not a huge Alonso supporter - you know, the whole McLaren thing, but...

You have to give him credit. He has been in fine form of late. Destroying his team mate, and keeping the front runners on their toes.

Advertisement

#9752 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:00

Of course, I don't think McLaren was much better than the Ferrari, saying that would be unfair too. But it's true Ferrari manage the tires worse than McLaren. Although fortunately is not as critical as in the beggining of the season.

I think both teams were even in a way or another.

Edited by Hole, 25 July 2011 - 01:00.

#9753 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,589 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 01:08

In case you didn't notice Vettel was 1 year and a half in a not so nice team and then jumped right to a Newey's car that have been title contender for 3 years.

That's not true. Red Bull were far from title contenders when Vettel joined them.
2006 (7th. 16 points, Renault 206 points)
2007 (5th. 24 points, Ferrari 204 points)
2008 (8th. 29 points, Ferrari 189 points)
Vettel joined them in 2009.
Alonso is a great driver, but it is his time at Renault and Ferrari that has made him so great, not the fact that he drove for Minardi for a while. Would Lewis or Vettel be better drivers, or though of as greater than they are now if they had done two seasons at Spiker ?

#9754 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,625 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:26

Alonso proved today again that he is the best. That car was a far behind the McLaren and Red Bull in the first laps of the stints in term of getting heat into the tyres. Alonso pushed very-very hard.
Nando ate Mark in Valencia, Lewis in Silverstone and today Seb at the Nürburgring on the track. He is the most aggressive driver, the fastest and the most clever given how he can manage the race. I am really really fascinated by his talent.

:rotfl:

On a day when Massa is faster than Button you can be 100% sure that McLaren is slower than Ferrari :) I know some fans hurt when Hamilton drives a better race than Alonso, but you could at least give him this one, Alonso already did :)

#9755 BalazsF1

BalazsF1

• 1,019 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 07:26

Wake up! There´s a german guy (only 24 years old) he´s going to join the same achievements than Alonso with almost 100 races less... we can talk about class above :smoking:

Alonso was betrayed by Mclaren and I consider him a much better driver than Lewis (that not means that I not consider Lewis an amazing driver too).

Hmm. Vettel has been given the best car for almost three years. Red Bull was by an avarage half a second faster than Ferrari and at the start of this year the difference was 1,5 (!!!!!!!) second compared to Ferrari. When did Alonso have such an ultradominant car?
I start to lose my belief in Vettel. In Silverstone he had to overtake Lewis with a faster car, he couldn't, yesterday he had to be fight, because Red Bull didn't have the advantage over the rest and he was nowhere.
I think there is no doubts that Fernando is a class over the rest, that man always amazes me.

#9756 as65p

as65p

• 17,509 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 08:37

I think there is no doubts that Fernando is a class over the rest, that man always amazes me.

You sound like a mole planted among the Alonso fans by the Hamilton fans. :p

Seriously no single driver I can see "a class over the rest" right now. At best it could be argued that all Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel have a slight edge over the rest of the field, but not the same kind of edge, each of the three has specific strengths and weaknesses. And even that could be wrong, who really knows which other driver could shine the same in a top car, it's always a possibility.

In short, while I like Alonsos style best and want him to win over the other two (and everyone else), there is no need to exaggerate his abilities, I think they are quite good enough as they are. :wave:

#9757 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:00

You sound like a mole planted among the Alonso fans by the Hamilton fans. :p

Seriously no single driver I can see "a class over the rest" right now. At best it could be argued that all Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel have a slight edge over the rest of the field, but not the same kind of edge, each of the three has specific strengths and weaknesses. And even that could be wrong, who really knows which other driver could shine the same in a top car, it's always a possibility.

In short, while I like Alonsos style best and want him to win over the other two (and everyone else), there is no need to exaggerate his abilities, I think they are quite good enough as they are. :wave:

Hey come on, it's only fair you have some of your own sycophants!  ;)

#9758 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:37

There are some similarities with Alonso/Renault '05/'06 and Vettel/RBR now. They both were picked up as talented youngsters and had a team built around them. That eventually led to championships.

The difference now is that Alonso has survived the ordeal at McLaren and the disastrous '08/'09 seasons, and is a better man because of it. He may no longer be the sensational young talent, but I think the setbacks and misfortunes have strengthened his character.

It would be interesting to see how Hamilton or Vettel would react if they were upstaged by rookie teammates and had to leave their teams for mediocre midfielders.

Edited by zeph, 25 July 2011 - 09:38.

#9759 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,057 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:39

I'm glad that the moderators are keeping this thread clean of trolls (sometimes).

By the way, this week is Fernando's birthday, let's hope he can do something special in this race.

Advertisement

#9760 Zhuk

Zhuk

• 88 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:47

Fernando was fantastic Sunday, always on the limit and he was able to keep up with the competition once temperatures were into the tyres! really encouraging result for the second half of the season :)

#9761 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:57

Im not a huge Alonso supporter - you know, the whole McLaren thing, but...

You have to give him credit. He has been in fine form of late. Destroying his team mate, and keeping the front runners on their toes.

That part is not that difficult nowadays.

Massa is done. He need to be booted out of F1.

I have more respect for the "pay drivers" than that excuse of a driver.

Edited by jerriy, 25 July 2011 - 09:59.

#9762 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,111 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:28

:rolleyes:
That "excuse of a driver" kept the current WDC leader behind through defending skills, and only lost position because of a pit-stop blunder.
I cannot decide whether you are trying to rubbish Massa per se, or to diminish Alonso's merits. In any case, your comment is way off the mark.

#9763 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,589 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:37

It would be interesting to see how Hamilton or Vettel would react if they were upstaged by rookie teammates and had to leave their teams for mediocre midfielders.

Well it really wasn't Alonso's team in any way. Even though he was the WDC, it was his first season for them, and even though it wasn't Lewis's team either, he has been with them for something like ten years at that point.

Frankly all thee of them come across to me as a bit emotionally immature. More than the rest of the drivers. Perhaps that is why they are all better than the rest.

#9764 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 11:58

What nonsense. Massa did great yesterday and although I concede he doesn't seem to be as sure-footed as before his accident, he is still a very capable driver.

#9765 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 13:49

That's not true. Red Bull were far from title contenders when Vettel joined them.
Alonso is a great driver, but it is his time at Renault and Ferrari that has made him so great, not the fact that he drove for Minardi for a while. Would Lewis or Vettel be better drivers, or though of as greater than they are now if they had done two seasons at Spiker ?

Aren't you contradizing yourself? Vettel joined them in 2009 as you said, and that year they were a title contender. It doesn't matter what happened before Vettel drove for them.

And about what I said regarding Minardi you completely took it out of context. My point as I thought I made clear was that both Alonso and Vettel had different lifetimes in F1, so I don't see fair to compare them two regarding what they achieved in X races and take out a conclusion about their class without taking into account circumstances.

Alonso came to F1 driving a Minardi, and then a middfield Renault for two years (2003,2004). His first title conteder car was in 2005 after 3 full real seasons in F1.
Vettel came to F1 driving a middfield Toro Rosso, and then a title conteder RBR for 3 years (2009,2010,2011). His first title conteder car was in 2009, 1 year after his first full real season in F1.

It's pretty obvious how Vettel is able to score as much as Alonso in a shorter period of time.

Edited by Hole, 25 July 2011 - 13:56.

#9766 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,948 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 14:05

it seems like it is fashionable to hate on Felipe. i know this is the Fernando thread, but Felipe was just behind his teammate. not 5 places behind and 1s slower in Q unlike Jenson.

dont see anyone saying Jenson is crap. because he isnt, and neither is Felipe.

#9767 Tsarwash

Tsarwash

• 3,589 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 15:02

Aren't you contradizing yourself? Vettel joined them in 2009 as you said, and that year they were a title contender. It doesn't matter what happened before Vettel drove for them.

And about what I said regarding Minardi you completely took it out of context. My point as I thought I made clear was that both Alonso and Vettel had different lifetimes in F1, so I don't see fair to compare them two regarding what they achieved in X races and take out a conclusion about their class without taking into account circumstances.

Alonso came to F1 driving a Minardi, and then a middfield Renault for two years (2003,2004). His first title conteder car was in 2005 after 3 full real seasons in F1.
Vettel came to F1 driving a middfield Toro Rosso, and then a title conteder RBR for 3 years (2009,2010,2011). His first title conteder car was in 2009, 1 year after his first full real season in F1.

It's pretty obvious how Vettel is able to score as much as Alonso in a shorter period of time.

Sorry, it was the grammer that lead me to think you had meant something different. you said, "In case you didn't notice Vettel was 1 year and a half in a not so nice team and then jumped right to a Newey's car that have been title contender for 3 years." when you meant "jumped right to a Newey's car that has been a title contender for 3 years." and I thought you meant, "jumped right to a Newey's car that had been title contender for 3 years."

I'm not contradicting myself there. When Vettel went to Red Bull at the start of 2009, they were far from title contenders. Nobody could have known for sure that the car was a winner at the start of 2009.

Sorry for not reading your thing about Alonso properly. Some people seem to think that he is better than Lewis or Vettel because he drove in a shit car for a while, but you are evidently not one of them.

#9768 BigCHrome

BigCHrome

• 4,049 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 15:05

Sigh. If you didn't know, there were huge regulation changes in 2009, since which Newey has been a step ahead of McLaren and Ferrari.

#9769 jerriy

jerriy

• 282 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 18:29

:rolleyes:
That "excuse of a driver" kept the current WDC leader behind through defending skills, and only lost position because of a pit-stop blunder.
I cannot decide whether you are trying to rubbish Massa per se, or to diminish Alonso's merits. In any case, your comment is way off the mark.

What nonsense. Massa did great yesterday and although I concede he doesn't seem to be as sure-footed as before his accident, he is still a very capable driver.

it seems like it is fashionable to hate on Felipe. i know this is the Fernando thread, but Felipe was just behind his teammate. not 5 places behind and 1s slower in Q unlike Jenson.

Not sure why you guys are getting yer panties in a twist cuz, lest ye forget, the Massa-Alonso WDC points gap is already wider than between ANY other teammate drivers who started from the beginning of the season, isn't it? In other words whether you like it or not, there really is a case to be made about Massa's redundancy: he really is doing worse than the "pay drivers" around the back of the grid!!!

Edited by jerriy, 25 July 2011 - 18:39.

#9770 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,455 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 18:38

...or maybe Alonso is just that good?

#9771 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 18:56

:up:

It seems that whenever Hamilton beats Button by far in qualifying it is all due to his superior driving skills and nothing to do with Button's problems with the car balance or set-up, but if Alonso does a similar thing, Massa needs to retire, he is crap, blah blah, anything except giving Alonso credit when it is due.. Double standards, anyone? :)

You know, I am not FM Fan but I believe he is unfairly critized at times. He fought yesterday very well.

#9772 Ricardo F1

Ricardo F1

• 38,604 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 19:18

To be fair to Massa he's been an awful lot better in the last few showings that early in the season.

#9773 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 20:25

Massa shouldn't be critized lately as what he did in Germany was exactly what it was better for the team. He improved and was keeping Vettel (1st in the championship) behind giving more gap to Alonso. He didn't choke, he didn't make mistakes.

Only the team did.

#9774 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 20:59

Nice interview in the BBC:

Edited by AlanWake, 25 July 2011 - 21:02.

#9775 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 00:03

Sorry, it was the grammer that lead me to think you had meant something different. you said, "In case you didn't notice Vettel was 1 year and a half in a not so nice team and then jumped right to a Newey's car that have been title contender for 3 years." when you meant "jumped right to a Newey's car that has been a title contender for 3 years." and I thought you meant, "jumped right to a Newey's car that had been title contender for 3 years."

I'm not contradicting myself there. When Vettel went to Red Bull at the start of 2009, they were far from title contenders. Nobody could have known for sure that the car was a winner at the start of 2009.

Sorry for not reading your thing about Alonso properly. Some people seem to think that he is better than Lewis or Vettel because he drove in a shit car for a while, but you are evidently not one of them.

Sorry, my English needs a lot of fixes. Not the first time I cause missunderstanding or I get someone missunderstood. :|

#9776 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,111 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 07:16

...or maybe Alonso is just that good?

:lol: God forbids that anyone reaches that conclusion! :p

But as I said, I cannot help thinking that a significant part of the rubbish that is being piled on Massa comes from people who want to diminish Alonso's skills/merits.

Massa has been very unfortunate with several strategic decisions during the season; otherwise his points tally would be higher.

#9777 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 09:59

thank you very much for that :up:
as always very likeable :up:

a true magician (not only on track!)  ;)

Edited by YellowHelmet, 26 July 2011 - 10:02.

#9778 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,057 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 10:42

Thanks, love the magic trick. :kiss:

By the way, in the next F1racing magazine there is a chat between Fernando and John Surtees, very cool stuff, grab the magazine if you can.

#9779 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:01

By the way, in the next F1racing magazine there is a chat between Fernando and John Surtees, very cool stuff, grab the magazine if you can.

:| can't buy it here in spain!

Advertisement

#9780 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,057 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:31

:| can't buy it here in spain!

There are many ways.

Eddie Jordan: Alonso should respect Massa

“I thought it was kind of strange when we had Alonso talking about how he needed McLaren to come up and help him,” Jordan told GPUpdate.net on Monday. “He didn’t actually mention his team-mate which, odds up, would have been the first thing that he should have said."

I beat if Alonso had said that he needed the help of Felipe, we will have Jordan saying today in the press that Alonso is already asking for team orders :drunk: .

#9781 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:36

eddie jordan again talking crap :down:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 26 July 2011 - 11:36.

#9782 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:37

:up: :rolleyes:

#9783 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:39

There are many ways.

I beat if Alonso had said that he needed the help of Felipe, we will have Jordan saying today in the press that Alonso is already asking for team orders :drunk: .

He must be a happy camper then, with a McLaren finishing in front of both RBs last sunday. He just got what he wished for.

#9784 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 11:47

There are many ways.

That is hilarious. Alonso if anyone has shown more respect to Massa than the media and most F1 fans have over the last two years. Who writes those articles that Massa will be replaced mid-season again?

#9785 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,669 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 14:40

He must be a happy camper then, with a McLaren finishing in front of both RBs last sunday. He just got what he wished for.

I think he would rather have been in front of Hamilton, but he's ended the day 6 points closer to Vettel. The championship lead is the target, not Lewis.

#9786 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 14:44

I think he would rather have been in front of Hamilton, but he's ended the day 6 points closer to Vettel. The championship lead is the target, not Lewis.

The problem is he is behind Vettel, Webber and Hamilton. Lewis racking up some wins isn't really going to help Alonso much.....but I get your point.

Edited by Watkins74, 26 July 2011 - 14:45.

#9787 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 14:48

Yeah, but now Lewis is 3rd. in the championship so... Happy, happy... I am not that sure... :rolleyes:

I guess the three guys on the podium last Sunday would have switched positions with the forth one who was not on the podium... C'est la vie! :lol:

#9788 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,057 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 16:07

There is a nice article of Fernando today in AS about the way Fernando is involved with the team in Maranello, sadly is in spanish, but it's worth reading.

http://www.sport.es/...o/1093549.shtml

Also, a silly survey about who is the favourite personality to travel in a car for the Spanish people. Fernando is second, only behind the "hot" journalist Sara Carbonero (

Posted Image

http://www.formulatv...-nadie-querria/

#9789 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,111 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 16:52

Yeah, but now Lewis is 3rd. in the championship so... Happy, happy... I am not that sure... :rolleyes:

I guess the three guys on the podium last Sunday would have switched positions with the forth one who was not on the podium... C'est la vie! :lol:

You are very wrong if you think that Alonso, or any other driver for that sake, cares about who is second or third; they just focus on winning. A different thing is that they care about team points. Alonso has all reason to be happy: unless I am mistaken, he is the one getting the most points in the last 3 races.

As for the guys on the podium switching positions with the fourth one, let's wait for a few more races, just in case... :p

#9790 Lotusseven

Lotusseven

• 1,337 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 17:01

:up: 100% Fully agree ! Why should Alonso mention/talk about Massa. He is nothing to talk about and will never be again. Harsh but fair, sad but true!
I think Fernando respect and are very caring to his team-mates...that´s the Fernando I know after 9 years as a fan of him.

Edited by Lotusseven, 26 July 2011 - 17:05.

#9791 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 26 July 2011 - 20:36

There is a nice article of Fernando today in AS about the way Fernando is involved with the team in Maranello, sadly is in spanish, but it's worth reading.

Also, a silly survey about who is the favourite personality to travel in a car for the Spanish people. Fernando is second, only behind the "hot" journalist Sara Carbonero (

Posted Image

I am dissapoint. Usun Yoon >>>>>> Sara Carbonero. :(

Other than that nice that Alonso is second. :up:

#9792 Reinmuster

Reinmuster

• 658 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:08

as one poster said, Alonso is great by default. the man is crazy consistent.

Agree. He was so fast and so consistent back then too. When he drives for Minardi during 2001 Italian GP at Monza, he did an amazing 45 out of 53 laps at the speed of qualifying laps and posted the 12th fastest lap during the race.

#9793 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:17

Posted Image

But wait...

Is it about Alonso behind the wheel or at the passenger seat :confused:

#9794 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,266 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 09:18

Posted Image

Oh, well, at least Belén Esteban is the 1st in the vetoed list. There’s still some hope for this country.

#9795 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,672 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 10:29

Good interview,i missed it on race day :up:

#9796 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,057 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 12:02

But wait...

Is it about Alonso behind the wheel or at the passenger seat :confused:

It's a bout Alonso driving a regular street car and the people voting as the passenger.

#9797 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 14:02

It's a bout Alonso driving a regular street car and the people voting as the passenger.

#9798 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 14:36

Oh, well, at least Belén Esteban is the 1st in the vetoed list.

Posted Image

No shit, Sherlock.

Personally, I'd rather be driven by Stevie Wonder.

#9799 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,948 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 14:42

Alonso's Blog

We’re reaching the final stages of a frenetic month of July. I am in Maranello, where I came on Sunday night, directly from the Nurburgring and, early tomorrow morning, it will be time for me and the engineers to head for Budapest. In this very short break between the two races, I worked, as is usually the case when I am at the factory, on the simulator to prepare both for this weekend’s race and for the ones after that. On top of that, I took part in several meetings with the engineers, while today I also got the chance to meet up with President Montezemolo and the members of the Ferrari Board, who were meeting in Maranello. Montezemolo was his usual cheerful self with me and wanted to know how preparations were going for the Hungaroring race. It’s now a few months that our car has become more competitive and that means we have been consistently able to fight for a podium finish.

We have made up a lot of ground compared to the very early part of the season in terms of performance, but we must take a further step forward, as I have said so often before. We still lack something, especially in qualifying: it’s true that in the race we can make up for this, but it’s not always possible to move up two places compared to our grid position, as happened in Monaco, Valencia, Silverstone and Nurburgring. At the Hungaroring, the weather should be more in keeping with summer, which is no bad thing as I’ve had enough of the cold and damp we experienced in England and Germany! That goes not just for me, but also for our car: it would definitely work better in temperatures higher than the 13° we had last Sunday.

I know the Hungarian Grand Prix has a special significance for the Scuderia, as it has experienced some great moments, but also some dramatic ones, like when Felipe was injured in that fluke accident when he was hit by a part of Rubens’ Brawn. Budapest is special for me too, as it was at this very race in 2003 that I took my first ever Formula 1 win. It was a very emotional day, the memory of which will always stay with me.

As was the case in 2010, I will again celebrate my birthday at the track with the Scuderia. On Friday I turn thirty: who knows if I will get a nice birthday surprise…

i dont know why, but i find the bolded very funny :lol:

Advertisement

#9800 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 27 July 2011 - 15:13

Posted Image

It would be very hard for me to choose which list is more scary... :rotfl:

And where is Zapatero? He could fit in any of them. And I don't understand how JuanCa is listed and his wonderful daughter in law is not... :rotfl: