Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#9851 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:27

All drivers had some excursions out of the track due the rain. Other than that the only mistake he made was when he spun by the end of the race that costed him a possible fight against Vettel for 2nd.

1. he didnt spun, he almost spun
2. also without that he would have no chance, that costed him maybe 4-5 sec. not enough to fight vettel.

You can't deny the strategy was very very bad for Alonso and that he was a bit unlucky too ;)

:up:

Advertisement

#9852 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:27

All drivers had some excursions out of the track due the rain. Other than that the only mistake he made was when he spun by the end of the race that costed him a possible fight against Vettel for 2nd.

You can't deny the strategy was very very bad for Alonso and that he was a bit unlucky too ;)

we, he ran wide, and let Rosberg by, which lost him massive time.

#9853 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:33

we, he ran wide, and let Rosberg by, which lost him massive time.

so what, vettel ran wide a couple of times, too losing places and time, and still ended second, with one stop less than alonso.

#9854 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:35

so what, vettel ran wide a couple of times, too losing places and time, and still ended second, with one stop less than alonso.

he didnt let a car that was way slower by though.

#9855 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:37

he didnt let a car that was way slower by though.

and ...
alonso got his place back and without the bad strategy before first stop he was still in the hunt for the race win.

#9856 jk

jk

• 1,750 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:40

Alonso had the pace to win it today. His own mistakes in the opening costed track position, which meant that he was not were he was supposed to be. Alonso was right on Buttons tail when he made the first error. Furthermore his comeback to 3rd was aided by Hamilton and Webber trying the inters...

A drive where Alonso failed to get the most out of the race. If he wants to challenge for the championship he cannot afford to lose to Vettel when his car is better in the race.

Alonso is a good driver but today shows that he is no more flawless than other top drivers.

#9857 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:41

and ...
alonso got his place back and without the bad strategy before first stop he was still in the hunt for the race win.

everone made bad strategy, actually. he pitted on the same lap as the leaders, so it wasnt that bad.

#9858 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:43

everone made bad strategy, actually. he pitted on the same lap as the leaders, so it wasnt that bad.

no he didnt.
actually if you look at button, he didnt not.
and even webber and massa pitted before him.

but if you are behind, you have to risk, and today they didnt, especially at the beginning.

the front runners can be conservative, but not the guys behind.

#9859 topical

topical

• 2,300 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:45

Alonso drove well today and he had the speed to win it,
but the strategy again sucked :down:

Don't blame just the strategy. It was Alonso's mistakes in the early part of the race (I know almost all the top guys went off the track, but that's not the point) that had him stuck behind the Mercedes and Webber. Without that he could have still got the win or at least second.
I've said it before: Alonso is erratic in the wet. He's fast, but makes too many mistakes, today was another example.
But by no means was it a terrible race and 3rd is not a bad result.
Still, today is the final nail in the coffin of any WDC hopes. It's over. I think regular podiums and maybe 1 or 2 more victories are the most we can hope for from the rest of this year.

Advertisement

#9860 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:46

no he didnt.
actually if you look at button, he didnt not.
and even webber and massa pitted before him.

but if you are behind, you have to risk, and today they didnt, especially at the beginning.

the front runners can be conservative, but not the guys behind.

he pitted on the same lap as hamilton and vettel.

#9861 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:47

Don't blame just the strategy. It was Alonso's mistakes in the early part of the race (I know almost all the top guys went off the track, but that's not the point) that had him stuck behind the Mercedes and Webber. Without that he could have still got the win or at least second.
I've said it before: Alonso is erratic in the wet. He's fast, but makes too many mistakes, today was another example.
But by no means was it a terrible race and 3rd is not a bad result.
Still, today is the final nail in the coffin of any WDC hopes. It's over. I think regular podiums and maybe 1 or 2 more victories are the most we can hope for from the rest of this year.

who is not errativ in the wet :confused:

as already said, his mistakes wasnt crucial, with the right strategy he would have a chance to win it. (especially because everybody made mistakes today)
Thats it.

#9862 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:49

he pitted on the same lap as hamilton and vettel.

yes, and thats the problem,
he was not in the lead, to be conservative.
button made it right and profited (at least at his first stop).
if alonso would have switched to slicks two laps earlier as webber and massa did, it would have been all about him, (despite the mistakes)

#9863 topical

topical

• 2,300 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:55

who is not errativ in the wet :confused:

as already said, his mistakes wasnt crucial, with the right strategy he would have a chance to win it. (especially because everybody made mistakes today)
Thats it.

Well, Button is better in the wet than Alonso. Probably Hamilton too and possibly Vettel. They all makes mistakes from time to time but Alonso makes more than those other 3. How many times was he off the track today, 5 or 6? One or two is okay, but there were too many occasions. These races go to the drivers who make the least mistakes. It's no coincidence than all Button's wins at McLaren have been in changeable conditions, whereas Alonso has 1 win in wet conditions.

Strategy didn't help but at least, for once, they didn't go for the wrong tyres during the last brief rain shower.

A 2nd and 3rd in the last two weekends is ok but with better strategy AND driving (also in qualy) it could have been two firsts.

Edited by topical, 31 July 2011 - 14:56.

#9864 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,674 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:59

Alonso had the pace to win it today. His own mistakes in the opening costed track position, which meant that he was not were he was supposed to be. Alonso was right on Buttons tail when he made the first error. Furthermore his comeback to 3rd was aided by Hamilton and Webber trying the inters...

A drive where Alonso failed to get the most out of the race. If he wants to challenge for the championship he cannot afford to lose to Vettel when his car is better in the race.

Alonso is a good driver but today shows that he is no more flawless than other top drivers.

Nonsense.

Alonso only had the pace to take fourth or fifth here in normal conditions.

His mistakes cost him time, but the Ferrari needed that extra stop today, ultimately it would not have made any difference to his finishing position.

He was handed third by the Webber/Hamilton strategy - but you have to take any points you get, because there will be days you give points away too.

#9865 kurski

kurski

• 264 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 14:59

Pretty good third place Fernando Alonso, but the race was pretty chaotic, and his many other drivers for mistakes, etc.

#9866 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:01

Well, Button is better in the wet than Alonso. Probably Hamilton too and possibly Vettel. They all makes mistakes from time to time but Alonso makes more than those other 3. How many times was he off the track today, 5 or 6? One or two is okay, but there were too many occasions. These races go to the drivers who make the least mistakes. It's no coincidence than all Button's wins at McLaren have been in changeable conditions, whereas Alonso has 1 win in wet conditions.

Strategy didn't help but at least, for once, they didn't go for the wrong tyres during the last brief rain shower.

A 2nd and 3rd in the last two weekends is ok but with better strategy AND driving (also in qualy) it could have been two firsts.

In case you didn't notice the wet conditions doesn't suit Ferrari as a car either meanwhile RBR is all right and McLaren is excellent.

#9867 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:03

Well, Button is better in the wet than Alonso. Probably Hamilton too and possibly Vettel.

how do you come to that conclusion?

They all makes mistakes from time to time but Alonso makes more than those other 3. How many times was he off the track today, 5 or 6? One or two is okay, but there were too many occasions. These races go to the drivers who make the least mistakes. It's no coincidence than all Button's wins at McLaren have been in changeable conditions, whereas Alonso has 1 win in wet conditions.

alonso won already several wet races/or races which were wet at least some time during race.
same goes for others.

woow.

as you can see, even good driving can win races, if you look at button, if the strategy works (already two times this season!)

#9868 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,136 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:07

Keep on with that mantra. Alonso had to take more risks and overtake more cars today because 1) he was starting from 5th, not from the first row, and 2) the Ferrari is worse at heating its tyres than other cars, and even more so in cold temperatures. Didn't you see how both Ferraris totally lost grip on turn 1, letting both Mercs ahead? More risks =more mistakes. He almost spun once, and went off track what, three times? Hamilton spun once and went off track at least once, and he was leading from the front, not battling his way up.

#9869 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:10

Keep on with that mantra. Alonso had to take more risks and overtake more cars today because 1) he was starting from 5th, not from the first row, and 2) the Ferrari is worse at heating its tyres than other cars, and even more so in cold temperatures. Didn't you see how both Ferraris totally lost grip on turn 1, letting both Mercs ahead? More risks =more mistakes. He almost spun once, and went off track what, three times? Hamilton spun once and went off track at least once, and he was leading from the front, not battling his way up.

something to think about. :up:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 31 July 2011 - 15:10.

#9870 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:17

He made many mistakes today indeed, and he would have fought for the win if he had been flawless (you can say the same thing for Vettel and Hamilton though). But I won't blame him given that he was probably pushing the car over its limits under very difficult track conditions, and in that case mistakes are bound to happen. Also considering his recent performances under changing conditions, 3rd place isn't bad after all.

#9871 Mr j

Mr j

• 530 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:17

Alonso said that he was going to take more risks from now on so I see no reason to critize him when beeing on the edge and making mistakes. I'm no Alonso fan but I think he has the right attitude and deserves credit for the way he pushes to the limit.

He needs to outscore Vettel by 11,25 points per race in the remaining races and considering that he has only outscored Vettel by an average of 0,75 points per race in the last 4 (when Ferrari has become more competitive), I'd say he's doing exactly the right thing.

#9872 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:19

He made many mistakes today indeed, and he would have fought for the win if he had been flawless (you can say the same thing for Vettel and Hamilton though). But I won't blame him given that he was probably pushing the car over its limits under very difficult track conditions, and in that case mistakes are bound to happen. Also considering his recent performances under changing conditions, 3rd place isn't bad after all.

and the funny thing is, that even with that, with the right strategy he could have won it.

#9873 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,674 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:21

and the funny thing is, that even with that, with the right strategy he could have won it.

What strategy would that have been? Kneecapping the Red Bull and McLaren pit crews?

I don't know how fifth on the grid in a slower car is any basis for winning a race in any conditions.

#9874 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:22

What strategy would that have been? Kneecapping the Red Bull and McLaren pit crews?

:lol:

#9875 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:25

I don't know how fifth on the grid in a slower car is any basis for winning a race in any conditions.

how did button won in canada?
coz he was the fastest through the race and flawless, or because luck and the right strategy at the end?

how did button won in hungary?
cou he was the fastest through the race and flawless, or because luck and the right strategy at first and thrid stop?

#9876 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,674 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:27

coz he was the fastest through the race and flawless, or because luck and the right strategy at the end?

cou he was the fastest through the race and flawless, or because luck and the right strategy at first and thrid stop?

So your suggesting the right strategy was "luck", then?

If so, could you give me the secret to this "luck" you speak of, because I need it for my lottery ticket.

#9877 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:27

To be fair, if he hadn't done these mistakes in the first laps, he would have not found himself behind Webber after the first stop and surely Ferrari would haven't changed his strategy.

#9878 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:28

but Alonso has scored the most points of anyone since Valencia.

#9879 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:28

To be fair, if he hadn't done these mistakes in the first laps, he would have not found himself behind Webber after the first stop and surely Ferrari would haven't changed his strategy.

not true, if ferrari had called him in the same lap into the pits and not two laps later.

Advertisement

#9880 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 15:29

but Alonso has scored the most points of anyone since Valencia.

:up:

#9881 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 16:53

I think today showed that in 2007, McLaren wasn't bad to Alonso they just don't have a f**** clue what they are doing.

I really can't believe what I am seeing this (and last year) but the longest biggest teams McLaren and Ferrari are totally useless in strategy. Alonso like Lewis had his feet swept from underneath him by putting him yet again on SS.

Its really embarassing to see the best 2 drivers in F1 getting let down by their teams again and again.

#9882 topical

topical

• 2,300 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 17:53

how do you come to that conclusion?

Compare the number of wet race wins from those other 3 drivers I mentioned versus Alonso.

Sorry, I just think it's ridiculous to blame the team for today's result. It's at least as much Alonso's fault for both his qualy and race performance.

Unlike some, I am very glad that neither Alonso nor Ferrari slag each other off in public. They win together and lose together.

#9883 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 17:56

I'm a HUGE fan of Alonso! I think his driving is magnificent and he seems like a wonderful person off-track, but this quote from him is complete bollox: "The start did not go as predicted, both Mercedes GP cars overtook us at the start, so I had to overtake Nico [Rosberg] and Michael [Schumacher], then with pitstops I was stuck behind [Mark] Webber. After that I was able to push with free air, and was quite quick, but for the first 20 laps we were behind Mercedes and Mark."

IIRC, he had a GREAT start and was up to THIRD after the first corner, and he was CHARGING! But then not one, but TWO off-track excursions had him twice behind the Mercs and once behind his own teammate. :evil: Fernando's own driving made harder work for himself and the team today, and might have cost them a win. Self-belief is necessary for every driver, but it wouldn't be so bad if he acknowledged what everyone else saw with their own eyes today!

#9884 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 17:58

Not really, I think its plainly clear that for 3 laps the car is unable to put heat into the tyres in cold conditions. I think now as soon as a ferrari is out of the pits people around him are going to be going for them.

#9885 topical

topical

• 2,300 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 17:58

Where's this "luck" you speak of? Not going off the track several times and not panicking and sticking on the wrong tyres as soon as a few drops fall?
It's called being cautious and clever and finding the right balance between risk and speed. I don't even rate Button that highly, I certainly think Alonso is a better driver, but he is bloody good in these conditions.

#9886 DarthWillie

DarthWillie

• 1,750 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:00

I'm a HUGE fan of Alonso! I think his driving is magnificent and he seems like a wonderful person off-track, but this quote from him is complete bollox: "The start did not go as predicted, both Mercedes GP cars overtook us at the start, so I had to overtake Nico [Rosberg] and Michael [Schumacher], then with pitstops I was stuck behind [Mark] Webber. After that I was able to push with free air, and was quite quick, but for the first 20 laps we were behind Mercedes and Mark."

IIRC, he had a GREAT start and was up to THIRD after the first corner, and he was CHARGING! But then not one, but TWO off-track excursions had him twice behind the Mercs and once behind his own teammate. :evil: Fernando's own driving made harder work for himself and the team today, and might have cost them a win. Self-belief is necessary for every driver, but it wouldn't be so bad if he acknowledged what everyone else saw with their own eyes today!

No, he was behind both Mercedes' after the start, got by them quite quick and got off, got by got off etc.

#9887 The Ragged Edge

The Ragged Edge

• 4,435 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:05

This was not one of Alonso's better races. At his 3rd pit-stop, I personally thought it was the right call. If not for his off track excursions and Webber holding him up, he could have challenged for victory. But life is not about what if. Vettel was there for the taking and Massa, Hamilton and Alonso dropped the ball.

#9888 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:10

No, he was behind both Mercedes' after the start, got by them quite quick and got off, got by got off etc.

I'm pretty sure he was third into the first corner, then he made errors that let them by, TWICE! (But I'll ck the DVR! :)) My only point is that he can just acknowledge it. He is, to me, the ultimate team player. He's human. When you screw up (which he did), just own up to it. We all saw it anyway, and acknowledging one's mistakes only endears you to your fans and gives you credibility.

#9889 Totza

Totza

• 453 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:13

Looks like YellowHelmet has had a busy afternoon defending Alonso :rotfl:

#9890 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,537 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:17

wasnt his best race but it was fun to watch, with his mistakes what really screwed his race was webber getting ahead of him, those outlaps by ferrari are painful to watch, they lose so much time.

a podium after the way the year started feels good but cant help feeling they could and should have done better,

#9891 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,136 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 18:46

Looks like YellowHelmet has had a busy afternoon defending Alonso :rotfl:

What can I say, some posts out there are just too much to bear without replying - bent on attacking Alonso least somebody think that he did well! Yes, I know that most of those fall under the "trolling" category, the wisdom behind the "don't feed the troll" recommendation, and so on, but still... :|

The pity is that those posts generate an atmosphere that prevents an open discussion about the pros and cons of the driver's performance :evil: . And yes, I know that it not only happens to Alonso, but it always happen to him  ;)

#9892 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 21:13

Alonso's strategy was spot on today. I can't see why Ferrari need to blamed for this performance.

I see some are saying that they should have pit Alonso a few laps prior for his first stop... Why would they want to do that when he was the fastest on the track at the time?

His early mistakes and the inability to get heat in the tyres screwed his race after the first pit stop. Which led the team to opt for a more aggressive strategy which included undercutting Webber because he was ruining Alonso's race.

His early mistakes, being stuck behind Webber and tyre temps after the pit stop screwed up his race. Not strategy...

Alonso should accept responsibility for this although it is understandable as he was really pushing.

#9893 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:32

The pity is that those posts generate an atmosphere that prevents an open discussion about the pros and cons of the driver's performance

Totally agree with you.

#9894 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,140 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 06:50

That's bull. He had a great start off the line and was third at the apex of T1, but then got wheelspin accelerating out of T1 and that was where he fell back. The off-track moments came later and of course also cost places.

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 01 August 2011 - 06:50.

#9895 BalazsF1

BalazsF1

• 1,019 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 07:06

Button was horrible in Canada, he was only fast in the closing stages of the race. McLaren made the right pit call and he could fly on the drying track, but at the first part of the race he was struggling heavily and forced Lewis to the wall.

I think Alonso was aggressive yesterday and took some risks. I was standing at the chicane and Alonso cut that a couple of times, I think two times, while driving in clean air. He was pushing very hard and over the limit of the car.

#9896 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:01

So your suggesting the right strategy was "luck", then?

If so, could you give me the secret to this "luck" you speak of, because I need it for my lottery ticket.

sure in canada button just had luck.

in hungary, he was also lucky coz rb and ferrari made some small strategic mistakes which costed them a better place (i am not counting the drivers mistakes, coz everybody made some mistakes yesterday)

#9897 as65p

as65p

• 17,794 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:29

Alonso's strategy was spot on today. I can't see why Ferrari need to blamed for this performance.

I see some are saying that they should have pit Alonso a few laps prior for his first stop... Why would they want to do that when he was the fastest on the track at the time?

His early mistakes and the inability to get heat in the tyres screwed his race after the first pit stop. Which led the team to opt for a more aggressive strategy which included undercutting Webber because he was ruining Alonso's race.

His early mistakes, being stuck behind Webber and tyre temps after the pit stop screwed up his race. Not strategy...

Alonso should accept responsibility for this although it is understandable as he was really pushing.

I'd say let's meet in the middle. Both Ferraris strategies and Alonsos driving weren't exactly brilliant yesterday, each could have been better.

Onto the next I'd say. I don't see at all how anyone could stop Vettel, so from my POV it's all about wins. With the the three top cars edging ever closer in performance, this should be a cracking 8 races. :clap:

#9898 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 4,550 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:53

McLaren Radio: "OK, Jense, a bit of luck and our brilliant strategy calls have got you from 7th on the grid to last place with only half the race left. Nothing left for us to do, the race is all yours!"
Button won in Canada because he was fastest and flawless at the right time.

His early mistakes were, I thought, at least partially caused by the lack of heat in his tyres. But then, there are mistakes and there are mistakes: When Massa spun after going wide, I think it was Coulthard on the BBC commentary observed that he needed to learn from Alonso how not to spin (he said that Alonso had shown better judgement by allowing the car to continue to drift wide rather than, as Massa did, try to fight the car and hold it on the track).
At the time, I thought Ferrari's tyre choices were right and Webber going for the prime so early in the race was a gamble to try to counter Alonso.

#9899 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:03

I'd say let's meet in the middle. Both Ferraris strategies and Alonsos driving weren't exactly brilliant yesterday, each could have been better.

Onto the next I'd say. I don't see at all how anyone could stop Vettel, so from my POV it's all about wins. With the the three top cars edging ever closer in performance, this should be a cracking 8 races. :clap:

Can you explain to me where exactly the strategy went wrong? Because I can't see it. I thought his first stop was well timed and putting him on options at his 3rd stop was critical based on the timing of it because he went ballistic in those 4 - 6 laps when everyone on a 3 stopper were extending their stints. His final stop was perfectly timed as well. The only problem I can see was not going for the undercut at the second stop...

The problem with Alonso's race was that his offs were costly in that it put him behind slower cars when the others got away with theirs. So yes, Alonso's offs were costly.

Advertisement

#9900 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:06

His early mistakes were, I thought, at least partially caused by the lack of heat in his tyres. But then, there are mistakes and there are mistakes: When Massa spun after going wide, I think it was Coulthard on the BBC commentary observed that he needed to learn from Alonso how not to spin (he said that Alonso had shown better judgement by allowing the car to continue to drift wide rather than, as Massa did, try to fight the car and hold it on the track).
At the time, I thought Ferrari's tyre choices were right and Webber going for the prime so early in the race was a gamble to try to counter Alonso.

Yes, but as I said above, Alonso's offs kept putting him behind slower cars which ultimately led to him being stuck behind a slower Webber for a good part of the race.

So his mistakes were more costly, no?

Edited by Ferrari2183, 01 August 2011 - 11:08.