Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#51 as65p

as65p

• 17,718 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:14

If he wants his front wing to remain intact he had better give Webber a wide berth,

They have been very close together on track, but no bad words ever afterwards. So far it has obviously helped that they are friends ouside the car, but who knows what a real coming together would do to that.

Advertisement

#52 magisenna

magisenna

• 100 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:16

If he wants his front wing to remain intact he had better give Webber a wide berth,

Webber will have to be more cautious than Fernando. Fernando has 25 points in the bank. Webber is behind the 8ball after race one. He needs a result.

#53 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,206 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:25

Webber will have to be more cautious than Fernando. Fernando has 25 points in the bank. Webber is behind the 8ball after race one. He needs a result.

I agree with you on that. Webber cant let Vettel get too far ahead otherwise Vettel will start getting preferential treatment early on in the season. If Webber takes Alonso out and Vettel won the race, the Webber would already have a massive disadvantage. It would be the equivelent of 14 points in last years old money.

If Alonso finishes 3rd then he is still leading the championship, but only by a small margin. Ferrari need to do something, and quick because that Red Bull is mighty. If its reliability hold then Vettel has to be firm favourite for the championship.

#54 Lights

Lights

• 9,853 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:27

Alonso wants a result.

Champion speaking

#55 Music Man

Music Man

• 84 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:29

Also, something that was remarkable about 2005, is by the end of the season the Renault caught up to the McLaren in terms of pace (think China, 2005).

I believe Renault could've done that earlier if they wanted to but they just didn't see the need with McLaren's breaking down almost every race. Why push if it's not necessary, championships are won with the right mixture of speed and consistency and not by sheer speed only. And I believe that's Alonso's mentality too, I've never seen him as one of the fastest drivers out there, but give him a decent car and he will deliver more or less every race.

#56 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:31

I kinda disagree. For Fernando it's not just this race, he's thinking about the WDC. So he'll prefer 15 point rather than 0

#57 DaleCooper

DaleCooper

• 2,512 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:39

Keep in mind that in qualifying everyone is on the same fuel load, hence same weight, but in the race Ferrari start heavier due to their thirstier engine and hence will be slower at the start and probably the first half of the race. Then slowly they will speed up relatively to the competition and have a better 2nd half of the race. Alonso knows this and will just try to stay close to the Red Bulls so that he can possibly attack them in the 2nd half, as in Bahrain. Of course he is more vulnerable at the start, but he did seem to manage just fine in Bahrain.

Cooper

#58 Gilles12

Gilles12

• 853 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:51

I agree with you on that. Webber cant let Vettel get too far ahead otherwise Vettel will start getting preferential treatment early on in the season. If Webber takes Alonso out and Vettel won the race, the Webber would already have a massive disadvantage. It would be the equivelent of 14 points in last years old money.

If Alonso finishes 3rd then he is still leading the championship, but only by a small margin. Ferrari need to do something, and quick because that Red Bull is mighty. If its reliability hold then Vettel has to be firm favourite for the championship.

And that's why I put £100 on him to win the championship before the season started :)

#59 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:01

And that's why I put £100 on him to win the championship before the season started :)

On whom?

Advertisement

#60 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,206 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 10:31

Lets just hope he doesn't get a penalty for blocking Schumacher in Q3.

#61 prty

prty

• 5,198 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:14

Alonso giving grandpa-like history lessons to Vettel at the end of qualifying:

http://www.lasexta.c...ustralia/244392

In the last segment (move to it by using >>|), 17:45, when they got out of the medical car, you can hear them talk:

"...and the Hispano Suiza, which was a car that they did only five cars [...] in thirty-eight, in ninety thirty-eight..." [Vettel pretends he is interested] :lol:

#62 airplus

airplus

• 16 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 12:16

Apparently he has been cleared

La Gazzeta de lo Sport

#63 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,412 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 15:04

Alonso was mighty today. Marc Gené said in the spanish tv that he´s surpassed all the high expectations Ferrari had in him!
Let´s hope for a P2 tomorrow, or at least a podium.

#64 TenienteX

TenienteX

• 187 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 22:33

i like your cautious and sensible approach, but dont make the mistake to make a story out of a non-story.

#65 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,495 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 22:36

Alonso was extremely impressive in free practice (I did not watch qualifying): he as manhandling the car, making it stick to the trajectory in forceful steering movements in spite of the speed.

Alonso is always very fast in fast tracks, but to watch him in practice is really something.

Edited by RSNS, 27 March 2010 - 22:37.

#66 Kelateboy

Kelateboy

• 5,797 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:30

They did look better on the harder tyre which is key. Fernando will have his work cut out but from the clean side of the grid he could nail Webber at turn one.

There is a chance of rain 15mins into the race, according to the other thread.

Without the rain and Alonso beating Webber into turn-1, it will be a boring race for Vettel because I think only Webber could keep the pace with Vettel. Unless of course Vettel experiencing another spark plug issue....

-KB

#67 William Hunt

William Hunt

• 3,406 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 08:56

Could anyone hear what Alonso was saying on the radio today when his engineer said something like 'Hamilton is only 3 seconds behind'? The BBC comentator said Alonso's reply was the 'quote of the day' but I didn't catch what he exactly said.

#68 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:01

Could anyone hear what Alonso was saying on the radio today when his engineer said something like 'Hamilton is only 3 seconds behind'? The BBC comentator said Alonso's reply was the 'quote of the day' but I didn't catch what he exactly said.

He said "I don't want to know!" :lol:

#69 benedetti

benedetti

• 149 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:07

It's going to be the quote of the season :)

#70 coopz

coopz

• 131 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:20

Great damage limitation from Alonso today. After he spun he could not spin around for a long time and even had to over take the safety car, so to salvage 4th and retain the wdc lead was great in the end, although its a pity because with a better start he would have won the race easy imo.

#71 magisenna

magisenna

• 100 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:31

Yes finishing 4th when you are last at turn 2 is always a good result. It should have been 2nd or 3rd had the team done the sensible thing and pulled the scruffy outpaced Massa over. ( yes i know technically its illegal but come on )

Edited by magisenna, 28 March 2010 - 09:32.

#72 Campeador

Campeador

• 296 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 09:47

Yes finishing 4th when you are last at turn 2 is always a good result. It should have been 2nd or 3rd had the team done the sensible thing and pulled the scruffy outpaced Massa over. ( yes i know technically its illegal but come on )

:up:

I think Alonso might have succeed on Kubica but at least Alonso managed to hold Hamilton which I doubt Massa would have done for Ferrari.

#73 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:20

Alonso seems to be too prone to crap starts, despite a great start last race.
Apart from that, it was a great race from him, and he could have got 2nd if not stuck behind a team mate. Until then his times were similar to Hamiltons. Great defending against Hamilton too.

He still seems to be in a good frame of mind, whilst one title rival is badly rattled and another had reliability issues again.

#74 Bishy

Bishy

• 989 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:26

Apart from that, it was a great race from him, and he could have got 2nd if not stuck behind a team mate. Until then his times were similar to Hamiltons. Great defending against Hamilton too.

He still seems to be in a good frame of mind, whilst one title rival is badly rattled and another had reliability issues again.

Indeed, it would seem Alonso (and to an extent Kubica) are the kryptonite to his insane ability to overtake :up:

#75 postajegenye

postajegenye

• 1,139 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:39

That's one of the things I worry about (as an Alonso fan). He doesn't seem to be very good at starts, especially last year, in some of the races he was awful at the start (I remember, he usually qualified 6-7 places ahead of Piquet and that advantage would often disappear after the first corner!) And he can lose much with that this year.

#76 Music Man

Music Man

• 84 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:48

At the start of the race the Mercedes team was telling Schumacher that he should position his car in the middle of grid slot and be careful not to place (rear) tires over the white lines, which - as we all know - can be very slippery when wet. Perhaps this is the mistake that Alonso and Webber made at the start and that caused the wheels slipping and thus a bad start?

#77 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,206 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 10:48

It's going to be the quote of the season :)

I preferred the one when he questioned why everyone was pitting.

#78 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 705 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:50

At the start of the race the Mercedes team was telling Schumacher that he should position his car in the middle of grid slot and be careful not to place (rear) tires over the white lines, which - as we all know - can be very slippery when wet. Perhaps this is the mistake that Alonso and Webber made at the start and that caused the wheels slipping and thus a bad start?

I actually thought before lights went out that Alonso might get a bad start since he was in the white line. Don't know...

#79 lambylamby

lambylamby

• 562 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:55

that was a top dollar comment and had me creasing when he said that!

Advertisement

#80 El_Capitn

El_Capitn

• 564 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 12:20

Congrats to Jenson. Great race/strategy.

Congrats to Alonso/Ferrari. Talk about damage control. They went in knowing Massa is not fast in Oz, that the Brazilian does not like to drive in the rain and then Alonso gets hit and ends up in 20th position after the 1st curve. Fast forward fifty-some odd laps and they are 3rd and 4th, with Vettel and Webber out of the picture, only conceding, well, not conceding, losing sounds better, to Button.

If Ferrari and McLaren keep racking up points this early in the season it is going to be mighty hard for Red Bull to keep in contention. This has to be exponentially irritiating for the team because they know they have The Best Car. Period.

Edited by El_Capitán, 28 March 2010 - 12:21.

#81 albertini

albertini

• 225 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 20:08

Great race for Fernando, bad beggining, the only 1 that could block lewis with old tyres and air-kers. 4th and and more points ahead with his rivals. :cool:

#82 jey16

jey16

• 252 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 07:47

looking at the start....i'm not sure what Alonso could have done, Button was on the inside and Michael was right next to him on the outside line. His best bet was probably to turn in and hope for the best.....obviously it didnt work out but i'm not sure how you can blame Alonso? equally it could be said that Button should have slowed down considering that he saw Alonso ahead of him and turning in......but thats racing, still a great comeback :D

Edited by jey16, 29 March 2010 - 07:49.

#83 Hacklerf

Hacklerf

• 2,333 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:27

Alonso was fantastic yesterday

#84 Tactical

Tactical

• 60 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:15

It was exactly that, white lines. Not sure if Alonso confirmed it, but search for videos and replay the race start. You can see the Ferrari over the line.

Cheers.

#85 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 10:56

It was exactly that, white lines. Not sure if Alonso confirmed it, but search for videos and replay the race start. You can see the Ferrari over the line.

Cheers.

Yeah, he confirmed after the race that his car skidded because of the white lines in the grid

#86 buzatlas

buzatlas

• 753 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 11:01

Yeah, he confirmed after the race that his car skidded because of the white lines in the grid

Every detail counts!
Wasn't it Ross Brawn that advise Schumacher to not put his tyre on the white line when they approach the grid?!

#87 albertini

albertini

• 225 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:19

Horner:

Q. How is he feeling about this, because he should be leading the championship?

CH: He recognises that, but he also recognises that he has got a very fast car beneath him. So, I think it is not time for panic and we just need to stay focused. Malaysia should be a good track for us and it is important for us that we go there and challenge to win that race. At least Fernando Alonso didn't win again here. We've had a different winner, so it is very, very early in the championship.

He knows perfectly who is the enemy...

#88 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,043 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:26

Not enemy, rival.;)

#89 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,316 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:29

I can't believe Fernando did that mistake, is more a rookie mistake than anything.

#90 albertini

albertini

• 225 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 12:40

Not enemy, rival.;)

ok

#91 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 13:20

Horner:
Q. How is he feeling about this, because he should be leading the championship?

CH: He recognises that, but he also recognises that he has got a very fast car beneath him. So, I think it is not time for panic and we just need to stay focused. Malaysia should be a good track for us and it is important for us that we go there and challenge to win that race. At least Fernando Alonso didn't win again here. We've had a different winner, so it is very, very early in the championship.

He knows perfectly who is the enemy...

It is not the first time when he says this and he knows what he is talking. I know Malaysia will suits RedBull, but it suits Alonso as well...

#92 merschu

merschu

• 520 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 15:39

Every detail counts!
Wasn't it Ross Brawn that advise Schumacher to not put his tyre on the white line when they approach the grid?!

Just a li'l bit correction! It was his race engineer Andrew Shovlin. :)

#93 Nathan

Nathan

• 2,684 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 19:46

Not enemy, rival.;)

What is the difference??

#94 Alondra

Alondra

• 162 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 11:27

From wiki....

"A rival is a competing person, company, team, or other organization. Rivals are not always similarly matched, but they are well known to each other."

"An enemy is a person who hates or dislikes another person. The opposite of a friend."

I think the diference is clear, isn't it?

#95 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 12:01

From wiki....

"A rival is a competing person, company, team, or other organization. Rivals are not always similarly matched, but they are well known to each other."

"An enemy is a person who hates or dislikes another person. The opposite of a friend."

I think the diference is clear, isn't it?

That's what Fernando said about Massa: "He's my rival, not my enemy".

#96 STIGG

STIGG

• 179 posts

Posted 30 March 2010 - 13:33

I think it's great that after two tough years 4th place is only seen as a so so result. There were many races he could only dream of 4th.

It's brilliant to see you back in a top team Nando! :up: The hardship of the last 2 . . or even 3 years all seems worth it now :D

#97 albertini

albertini

• 225 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 13:45

Posted Image
:cool:

#98 buzatlas

buzatlas

• 753 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 20:43

Adam Cooper Interview
http://adamcooperf1....ternoon-points/

#99 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,206 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 20:50

Must admit, from a womans perspective, Alonso has very nice legs. :love:

Not at Schumacher's level but very close.

Advertisement

#100 as65p

as65p

• 17,718 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 20:50

Adam Cooper Interview
http://adamcooperf1....ternoon-points/

:up:

One of the main reasons I like Alonso. He hasn't only got a brain, but isn't afraid to use it too.  ;)