Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#10101 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 14:11

Alonso was 1.2+ seconds ahead of Vettel. It is just practice. We will see reality in Q3 tomorrow.

Because Vettel didn't run with the softs......

Advertisement

#10102 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,360 posts

Posted 26 August 2011 - 17:17

:rotfl: I wonder if his friends let him win.

I don´t think so. He´s quite fit, don´t know if anyone in a F1 team is fitter than drivers. He has completed some trainings with pro cycling teams (slow ones, 30 km/h average and of course all the time in the slipstream) and I suspect anyone else on Ferrari can do that without a big interest in cycling.

But I´ll tell you something, I live near him, and I´d love to meet them and DESTROY Alonso :lol: He´s SO competitive that he´d hate to lose, and he´d push SO hard before exploding :lol:

Edited by Skinnyguy, 26 August 2011 - 17:20.

#10103 Flamini

Flamini

• 817 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:09

"While Sebastian Vettel clearly already has 'one hand on the championship trophy', as Martin Brundle put it this weekend, rivals Mark Webber, Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso and Jenson Button are still stretching every sinew to stop him. Which of them does Mercedes team boss Ross Brawn - architect of Michael Schumacher's seven titles - feel is best placed to put Vettel under pressure? 'I think Alonso is probably the strongest of that group who can give him a hard time. He's a driver I would have loved to have worked with in the past.'"

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/9573626.stm

Nice words from Ross.

#10104 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,862 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 09:49

I don´t think so. He´s quite fit, don´t know if anyone in a F1 team is fitter than drivers. He has completed some trainings with pro cycling teams (slow ones, 30 km/h average and of course all the time in the slipstream) and I suspect anyone else on Ferrari can do that without a big interest in cycling.

But I´ll tell you something, I live near him, and I´d love to meet them and DESTROY Alonso :lol: He´s SO competitive that he´d hate to lose, and he´d push SO hard before exploding :lol:

I was joking.

Ross Brawn was always a "fan" of Fernando, not surprised about his words, he can work with him if he come back to Ferrari :)

#10105 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,862 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 13:12

Alonso on tv: "problems with traffic".

Bad luck, really scared of the start with Senna and Jaime and also the first turns.

#10106 BalazsF1

BalazsF1

• 1,019 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 13:17

Bad luck, really scared of the start with Senna and Jaime and also the first turns.

I think it's not the traffic, we were nowhere. I guess it's the same problem: no heat in the tyres. :(
I hope it will be a bit warmer and dry tomorrow.

#10107 topical

topical

• 2,107 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 13:18

Webber and everyone else had traffic too and seemed to deal with it. This just looks to me like a bad weekend from Alonso. Second year in a row he's been out qualified by Massa here. What is his problem with Spa? Extremely disappointed.
Don't really care about taking a risk at the start tomorrow - if he can't overtake all those guys on the first lap or two any chance of a podium is gone anyway.
What's the weather forecast?

#10108 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 13:20

Webber and everyone else had traffic too and seemed to deal with it.

Alonso had much more problems with traffic, but it was his own doing.

This just looks to me like a bad weekend from Alonso. Second year in a row he's been out qualified by Massa here. What is his problem with Spa?

And the second year in a row mixed conditons were the cause of it.

#10109 topical

topical

• 2,107 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 13:22

Alonso had much more problems with traffic, but it was his own doing.

And the second year in a row mixed conditons were the cause of it.

No, Alonso is the cause of it. Massa is one second ahead of him, Alonso is the problem here, not the conditions per se.

#10110 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,397 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 13:24

Rubbish Qualy, but tomorrow should be fun if dry + drs.

#10111 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 13:33

Not impressed with Alonso's performance today but still thinking a podium for tomorrow might be possible.

#10112 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:14

No, Alonso is the cause of it. Massa is one second ahead of him, Alonso is the problem here, not the conditions per se.

Unfortunately, you are right and I am a FAn too. Alonso rarely excels in these conditions.

Edited by AlanWake, 27 August 2011 - 14:17.

#10113 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,753 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:18

Really nice job by Massa, Alonso not so much. Massa by a second.

Well I guess that means we will see VicR. :D

#10114 Andy865

Andy865

• 2,447 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:22

Really nice job by Massa, Alonso not so much. Massa by a second.

Well I guess that means we will see VicR. :D

You know jean todt would have been 6 seconds faster on that lap right? :D

#10115 topical

topical

• 2,107 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:29

Unfortunately, you are right and I am a FAn too. Alonso rarely excels in these conditions.

Yep, I've been saying all year that Alonso is erratic in mixed conditions and too many fan boys respond, "no, he's brilliant in the wet!" This yet again proves my point. It pains me to see but I hope tomorrow will go better.

#10116 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:35

http://www.marca.com...1314451354.html

Alonso: "La razón por la que no estoy más adelante es Sergio Pérez"

Alonso blames Perez for his own open lap misjudgements :down:

#10117 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,397 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:37

Yep, I've been saying all year that Alonso is erratic in mixed conditions and too many fan boys respond, "no, he's brilliant in the wet!" This yet again proves my point. It pains me to see but I hope tomorrow will go better.

The car is awful in mixed conditions, look at Massa going off track every time the rain starts to fall. The Red Bull and specially the McLaren are much better in these conditions.

#10118 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,862 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:45

http://www.marca.com...1314451354.html

Alonso: "La razón por la que no estoy más adelante es Sergio Pérez"

Alonso blames Perez for his own open lap misjudgements :down:

Read the frikin article not only the headline.

#10119 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:50

Read the frikin article not only the headline.

OK.

"Senna y Alguersuari han hecho un buen trabajo en mojado. La salida será complicada porque hay pilotos que no están habituados a salir tan arriba. Esperemos que no se emocionen", sentenció Fernando Alonso.

"Senna and Alguersuari have done a great job in the wet track. The start will be complicated because they are not used to start so much ahead. I hope they don't get emotional", said Alonso.

Dude, they are not ahead, you are way behind where you were supposed to be.

Advertisement

#10120 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,088 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:57

OK.

"Senna y Alguersuari han hecho un buen trabajo en mojado. La salida será complicada porque hay pilotos que no están habituados a salir tan arriba. Esperemos que no se emocionen", sentenció Fernando Alonso.

"Senna and Alguersuari have done a great job in the wet track. The start will be complicated because they are not used to start so much ahead. I hope they don't get emotional", said Alonso.

Obvious trolling is obvious. :p

Senna and Alguersuari did a great job,and it is their best starting position ever. So Alonso is absolutely correct in saying they are not used to that, and they might get overzealous. That is totally independent from Alonso being ahead or behind them,his fault or otherwise.

#10121 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 14:58

depends on what you mean by brilliant in wet. in terms of driving speed he is, but he can sometimes get caught out but then everyone can.

#10122 Totza

Totza

• 453 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:01

Alonso :(

#10123 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,862 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:01

OK.

Lovely, now translate the first paragraph, the paragraph that is related to what you posted early. Don't translate what suits your agenda.

“We had a difficult Q3, a lot of traffic in front of us, we didn’t make a clean lap, and this is the position,” he said. “It was difficult, obviously always changing conditions, and a red flag caused some stress in Q2 because we were P11 at the time.

If we are eighth it’s because we deserve it, and tomorrow we try to recover. It’s true I didn’t make any single lap in Q3 without Perez in front of me, so we will see what will happen now. Obviously he’s behind me so I will not recover any position.”

Here you go, the truth. If Alonso is right to ask for a penalty is up to him and Ferrari, because we don't see everything that happen on the track, only selected moments, if Fernando feels that Perez blocked him, he has the right to say it, the stewards will judge if a penalty is neccessary.

Edited by kosmos, 27 August 2011 - 15:02.

#10124 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:02

The car is awful in mixed conditions, look at Massa going off track every time the rain starts to fall. The Red Bull and specially the McLaren are much better in these conditions.

Yeah, awful car... that would explaine the 1 second difference between Alonso and his team mate, oh wait!

#10125 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:05

depends on what you mean by brilliant in wet. in terms of driving speed he is, but he can sometimes get caught out but then everyone can.

Alonso has been good/great in wet only one time throughout his career, that was in Hungary years ago and he didnt even finish that race. BTW has Alonso ever been even in podium when track was wet?

#10126 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,088 posts

Yeah, awful car... that would explaine the 1 second difference between Alonso and his team mate, oh wait!

No, given the qualy story between Alonso and Massa, there is obviously something else involved that is required to explain that difference. What is your suggestion? Or don't you have any?

#10127 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Obvious trolling is obvious. :p

Senna and Alguersuari did a great job,and it is their best starting position ever. So Alonso is absolutely correct in saying they are not used to that, and they might get overzealous. That is totally independent from Alonso being ahead or behind them,his fault or otherwise.

Alonso is trolling Perez.

Fred is putting some pressure on Perez that belongs to the Ferrari ydp to facilitate things for him.

Also putting the blame over Senna and Jaime - in anticipation - if anything goes wrong tomorrow, after all " they are not used to it". :down:

I hope Fred doesn't get too emotional tomorrow as we know he is a bad starter.

Edited by AirWebber, 27 August 2011 - 15:09.

#10128 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:07

Felipe is great at Spa, Alonso not really... Remember, Massa was also very close pacewise to Räikkonen there... :)

#10129 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,088 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:08

Alonso has been good/great in wet only one time throughout his career, that was in Hungary years ago and he didnt even finish that race. BTW has Alonso ever been even in podium when track was wet?

Oh, I don't know... just from the top of my head, was Korea 2010 wet enough? Nurburgring 2007?

#10130 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:09

......as we know he is a bad starter.

;) You haven't seen the last races??

#10131 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:09

Felipe is great at Spa, Alonso not really... Remember, Massa was also very close pacewise to Räikkonen there... :)

this had nothing to do with pace though just traffic.

#10132 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:10

;) You haven't seen the last races??

Have you ? :wave:

#10133 marcoferrari

marcoferrari

• 2,004 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:13

this had nothing to do with pace though just traffic.

Off course, in both years... :lol: Poor, Fernando... :)

#10134 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,088 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:13

Alonso is trolling Perez.

Fred is putting some pressure on Perez that belongs to the Ferrari ydp to facilitate things for him.

Also putting the blame over Senna and Jaime - in anticipation - if anything goes wrong tomorrow, after all " they are used to it". :down:

I hope Fred doesn't get too emotional tomorrow as we know he is a bad starter.

Yes, as proven in Barcelona this year, for example... A poster above already proved that you mistranslated the article, any other excuses on your side?

As the Spanish saying goes, "ladran, Sancho, luego cabalgamos".

PS Loosely translated, "we are criticised, so we are feared"

#10135 hodg

hodg

• 76 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:15

Ferrari really should have done more running in the practice sessions, Alonso just didn't look comfortable with the track conditions today.

#10136 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,088 posts

Well, isn't it sad that such a poor driver is so well considered by team directors when compared to his current peers?

#10137 mrmusicman

mrmusicman

• 276 posts

Actually last year it rained on his only run on new tyres, while Massa ran new tyres on his first run. So both years it was mitigating circumstances that did not allow Alonso to show his pace.

#10138 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:22

Yes, as proven in Barcelona this year, for example... A poster above already proved that you mistranslated the article, any other excuses on your side?

As the Spanish saying goes, "ladran, Sancho, luego cabalgamos".

PS Loosely translated, "we are criticised, so we are feared"

Absolutely. :o

A poster above was complaining about selective quoting, not mistranslation.

#10139 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:25

Well, isn't it sad that such a poor driver is so well considered by team directors when compared to his current peers?

Of course Alonso chose to sack Kimi and not Massa, which was more expensive for Santander.

Senna, Schumacher, Mika and Kimi are the Kings of Spa.

Advertisement

#10140 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:25

Well, is he really? I mean nobody has said that he cant drive a car better than your local taxi-driver, but they are not all praising him like there is no tommorrow and saying "I wish I could sack my current drivers and get Fernando to drive my car" are they?

#10141 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,397 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:27

Is your memory that short??? :rotfl: :rotfl:

#10142 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:27

Oh, I don't know... just from the top of my head, was Korea 2010 wet enough? Nurburgring 2007?

Ok, so if you are looking for a driver who is excellent in wet/mixed conditions, you would go for Fernando? Seriously?

#10143 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:32

Is your memory that short??? :rotfl: :rotfl:

Perhaps it is, since in recent years I remember Fernando usually crashing out or being way behind podium drivers in Every wet race. Maybe you could enlighten me and list all great wet races by Fernando within past two or three years? And if you do that, you might as well review all other wet races on that period and rethink if it is wise to bring "wet weather driving" subject up at all if you are fan of Alonso.

#10144 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:36

Fernando was unspectacular today. He was 2 seconds off in the 2nd sector in Q3. Actually, even more in some cases. I thought maybe it was tire warm up or something, but then Massa eclipsed him by a whole second.

Unless he went for a super-dry set-up, and Massa put on extra "confidence" wing, Alonso just didn't perform today. Simplest answer is usually the correct one unfortunately.

#10145 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,397 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:37

Perhaps it is, since in recent years I remember Fernando usually crashing out or being way behind podium drivers in Every wet race. Maybe you could enlighten me and list all great wet races by Fernando within past two or three years? And if you do that, you might as well review all other wet races on that period and rethink if it is wise to bring "wet weather driving" subject up at all if you are fan of Alonso.

So you can only remember when Alonso does bad and forget when he does great? Man, that brain of yours...

#10146 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:38

No, given the qualy story between Alonso and Massa, there is obviously something else involved that is required to explain that difference. What is your suggestion? Or don't you have any?

A drivers track and difficult conditions? Perhaps Massa just handled all that better, even though he is number 2 in his team, I`d say well done Felipe.

You have some other explanation? (just kidding, of course yo have: Massa sucks and Alonso rocks - so the result is actually invalid).

#10147 yr

yr

• 5,969 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:48

So you can only remember when Alonso does bad and forget when he does great? Man, that brain of yours...

Now, be honest: do you actually see Fernando as very good driver in wet? I mean - like, when some driver has inferior equipment and always loses when its dry but suddenly almost lap everybody when it is pouring? Is that how you see Fernando? You know, they say that rain is great equalizer which levels the field and underlines drivers skills, why isnt Fernando keep getting wins or even podiums in his very competitive car if that is true?

Sorry, but I havent seen that Senna/Schumi like driving from Fernando in wet yet.

#10148 topical

topical

• 2,107 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:48

I agree that the RB and Macs are much better in mixed conditions, largely due to the tyres etc, but I use Massa as the benchmark. If he qualified fourth then the car cannot be the reason Alonso qualified 8th. And if it's traffic that's still a poor excuse. He had 2-3 laps to find space. Anyhow, it's done now, let's just hope for better tomorrow...

#10149 GerhardBerger

GerhardBerger

• 510 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:50

Well Korea was not that long ago...

#10150 topical

topical

• 2,107 posts

Posted 27 August 2011 - 15:50

He was excellent in Korea last year. Those are his two great wet races that I remember.