Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#10301 GerhardBerger

GerhardBerger

• 510 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:36

I think Button has a good feel for the conditions. The crossover point between Intermediates and slicks is quite a hard one to judge, but Button seems to get this call right more often than not.

Advertisement

#10302 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,120 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 11:02

I think Button has a good feel for the conditions. The crossover point between Intermediates and slicks is quite a hard one to judge, but Button seems to get this call right more often than not.

Yes, I agree, my point was that he can take more risks that other drivers because he is very good at handling tyres, hence that crossover point is probably a bit wider for him than for others. But also, it does not help to switch to slicks if then it rains a bit more, which is why I said that luck might have helped sometimes.

#10303 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 851 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 14:38

Is there any chance to banish Mr AirWebber from this thread?
We are here to discuss about Fernando. If you don't like him then beat it at search for another playing ground. I know it is very hard to accept for some people that this Spaniard is so bloodily talented.

Mario, just ignore him, although I'd love to see the feature: "Hide that person's messages in the future" - and you just can't see them anymore. I've seen that in action - at a custom local forum, though, and it's the only way an F1 community can survive without hassles.

On topic: Again, Alonso did his best, given the current trend, hoping for Monza.

#10304 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 15:01

I am a Seb fan, but if you ask me what type of racing I enjoy the most, I would say that it is the cerebral type that Prost used to bring to the table so effectively. That is why I thoroughly enjoyed Alonso's win in Silverstone, eventhough it came at Seb's expense. :up:

But I am little disappointed that he hasnt won more races in that manner though. Ever since re-fuelling was banned I expected Alonso to bring that type of racing back into f1 and do it on a regular basis. But he has been able win only one race in such a manner over the last year and a half.

Can any Alonso fan explain why he (for the master strategist he is) hasnt been able to do it more often? :)

In my opinion (like you know not an Alonso fan) because he´s not the same driver as he used to be at Renault.

At Renault he won 2 WDC like a really champion, that´s it, with speed, brain and without any mistake. I don´t remember any mistake of him during 2 whole seasons, but i remember mistakes from Kimi and Schumacher.

When he arrived to McLaren then the mistakes began.

On 2008 and 2009 he used to fight back on the field, then he made normal mistakes (normal even from him).

But last year, with a good car and a good team he made too much mistakes and he was not the same Fernando, and this year he made some mistakes too. Here in Spain a lot of people are thinking Fernando Alonso is not the same because of McLaren. We never know.

I´ll rate Fernando much more like Lauda (but in my opinion better than him).

Edited by Alarcon, 31 August 2011 - 15:06.

#10305 GerhardBerger

GerhardBerger

• 510 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 15:09

In my opinion (like you know not an Alonso fan) because he´s not the same driver as he used to be at Renault.

At Renault he won 2 WDC like a really champion, that´s it, with speed, brain and without any mistake. I don´t remember any mistake of him during 2 whole seasons, but i remember mistakes from Kimi and Schumacher.

When he arrived to McLaren then the mistakes began.

On 2008 and 2009 he used to fight back on the field, then he made normal mistakes (normal even from him).

But last year, with a good car and a good team he made too much mistakes and he was not the same Fernando, and this year he made some mistakes too. Here in Spain a lot of people are thinking Fernando Alonso is not the same because of McLaren. We never know.

I´ll rate Fernando much more like Lauda (but in my opinion better than him).

He made very little mistakes this year.

But anyway circumstances were different at Renault.

#10306 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:23

he is the best and most complex driver out there and in the whole history of the motorsport. If somebody can't live with that, is either fool or don't follow the F1 properly.

That's very, very arrogant of you.

It's absolutely fine for you to think that Alonso is the best ever, but to call others fools if they don't agree with you on that is unacceptable and by doing so you are discrediting yourself from further discussions.

Perhaps you would like to reconsider that opinion? I'm willing to give you another chance.

#10307 Cesc

Cesc

• 900 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 17:41

He made very little mistakes this year.

But anyway circumstances were different at Renault.

How many mistakes did he last year? It seems to be a quite accepted fat that he did a lot of mistakes qhen actually he did only some at the beggining of the year (jump start at China and the Monaco FP3 crash...).

At Renault he delivered superb performances, specially in 2006. But I don´t see any sign that he has lost anything from those days. He couldn´t beat Ferrari or McLaren during 2005 & 2006 when those cars were clearly faster, and that´s what is happening now.

#10308 GerhardBerger

GerhardBerger

• 510 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 18:10

How many mistakes did he last year? It seems to be a quite accepted fat that he did a lot of mistakes qhen actually he did only some at the beggining of the year (jump start at China and the Monaco FP3 crash...).

At Renault he delivered superb performances, specially in 2006. But I don´t see any sign that he has lost anything from those days. He couldn´t beat Ferrari or McLaren during 2005 & 2006 when those cars were clearly faster, and that´s what is happening now.

Alonso was also unlucky that his mistakes ended up costing him alot of positions, and hence points.

#10309 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,185 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 19:15

Posted Image

Just thought I'd share this pic that I took of Fernando whilst at Spa when he signed my cap for me. :D

#10310 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 19:17

Posted Image

Just thought I'd share this pic that I took of Fernando whilst at Spa when he signed my cap for me. :D

Was he a cold bastard, like many are trying to portrait him?

#10311 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,432 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 19:50

i dont know if he is better or worse than when he won his 2 wdc , and to be honest i could care less, i an really enjoying watching him race this year, with the good and the bad.

i dont really worry too much about if he is better than this guy or that guy, i just try to enjoy the time he has left in f1, if he ends up winning more wdc, great, if he doesnt well then it is what it is.

i cant really feel anything but envy, he gets paid to drive a ferrari around a race track, life cant be any better than that

#10312 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 23:02

The reason why Alonso looked so flawless in 2005-2006 was because of 3 reasons:

1. The car was one of the fastest, if not the fastest (first half of 2006 and the first races of 2005). Clearly a Top 2 car.
2. An huge lead in the WDC after the first races because he had the best car at the start of the season (although Mclaren and Ferrari had better resources and outdeveloped Renault after some races)
3. The team was clearly focused on him.

And yes, he made mistakes in both seasons too (albeit very few mistakes), try to google it...

In 2007, he had the car, no doubt, but unlike in 2005 and 2006, he wasn't the number 1 in the team anymore. He had to face up against a very tough teammate (and therefore he was pushed to his limits), had to work in an environment where his opinions weren't valued at all and a team that clearly showed more emotion towards his teammate Lewis than him. Having said that, Alonso wasn't strong mentally that year and should have managed better certain situations (the same goes to others) but I have no doubt that after that experience he got stronger mentally and therefore a better driver.

In 2008-2009, he had to push very hard because the car wasn't good enough (specially in 2009). He had to fight wheel to wheel against others in almost all races, and it's not surprise to me that he made more mistakes because he was clearly over his own limits/the limit of the car a lot of times. After two difficult seasons driving in the limit, he gained a very valuable experience and therefore he improved still more as a racing driver.

In 2010, he made some unnecessary mistakes in the first half of the season and I believe that he made these mistakes because of two reasons: 1.he was trying to impress Ferrari (China and Monaco 2010 comes to my mind) and 2.he was 'overdriving' at times due to the fact that the F10 was way slower than the RB6 (and the MP4-25 at times). Anyway, I think his mistakes in the first half of 2010 have been exaggerated a bit: especially his crash in Monaco FP3. For example, Vettel crashed out twice this year in FP (Turkey and Canada), Hamilton crashed out twice last year in FP (Germany and Japan) and before the race Rosberg crashed out in Monaco this year too, but nobody count these crashes as mistakes in a season simply because they happened before the race. Yeah, I know that Alonso's mistake in Monaco FP3 was costly because his chassis broke, but at the end of the day, a mistake is always a mistake (costly or not) so it is funny when I see people counting that mistake by FA before the race and ignoring at the same time similar mistakes by other Top Drivers in FP.

Anyway, since Spa 2010 (just like Sebastian, the next double WC) Alonso has rarely made any mistake. He has made mistakes of course just like the rest of drivers, but since Spa 2010 he has been driving very well. Since Spa 2010, he did just dissapoint me in a single race that is China this year.

ATM, he has almost all the elements to be the Alonso of 2006 (or even better IMO): Driving Talent, Raw speed, Determination, Experience and a Team around him. *Almost* because he lacks the most important thing and is a car capable to fight for race wins race after race.

Edited by AlanWake, 31 August 2011 - 23:11.

#10313 robefc

robefc

• 8,065 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 23:26

Alonso was also unlucky that his mistakes ended up costing him alot of positions, and hence points.

Hmmm really? Wasn't he helped out by SCs at both china and monaco, thereby reducing the impact of his biggest mistakes?

#10314 GerhardBerger

GerhardBerger

• 510 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 23:41

Hmmm really? Wasn't he helped out by SCs at both china and monaco, thereby reducing the impact of his biggest mistakes?

to some extent, but you have to consider that the initial penalty he received for both mistakes was to effectively send him to the back of the grid (same story in Silverstone). Compare that to say Hamilton's mistake in Valencia (where he lost no places) or Vettel's mistake in Hungary (where he lost 1 place). That's just luck though i guess, but i do realise he did have some good luck as you pointed out.

#10315 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 00:03

I think he was very unlucky in Monaco last year. After a crash, how many times has a F1 Driver broken the chassis of his car despite the low speed of the impact? I have seen more spectacular and scary crashes in FP3 without consequences for the driver in qualifying/race.

I agree with you, he was helped by the SC in China and in Monaco, but we should not forget that he was unlucky too in various races (Malaysia, Valencia, Silverstone, etc). Anyway, as Alonso himself says, the luck tends to level itself out over the course of the season.

#10316 Atomicus

Atomicus

• 108 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:42

1. The car was one of the fastest, if not the fastest (first half of 2006 and the first races of 2005). Clearly a Top 2 car.
2. An huge lead in the WDC after the first races because he had the best car at the start of the season (although Mclaren and Ferrari had better resources and outdeveloped Renault after some races)

And yes, he made mistakes in both seasons too (albeit very few mistakes), try to google it...

In 2007, he had the car, no doubt, but unlike in 2005 and 2006, he wasn't the number 1 in the team anymore. He had to face up against a very tough teammate (and therefore he was pushed to his limits), had to work in an environment where his opinions weren't valued at all and a team that clearly showed more emotion towards his teammate Lewis than him. Having said that, Alonso wasn't strong mentally that year and should have managed better certain situations (the same goes to others) but I have no doubt that after that experience he got stronger mentally and therefore a better driver.

In 2008-2009, he had to push very hard because the car wasn't good enough (specially in 2009). He had to fight wheel to wheel against others in almost all races, and it's not surprise to me that he made more mistakes because he was clearly over his own limits/the limit of the car a lot of times. After two difficult seasons driving in the limit, he gained a very valuable experience and therefore he improved still more as a racing driver.

In 2010, he made some unnecessary mistakes in the first half of the season and I believe that he made these mistakes because of two reasons: 1.he was trying to impress Ferrari (China and Monaco 2010 comes to my mind) and 2.he was 'overdriving' at times due to the fact that the F10 was way slower than the RB6 (and the MP4-25 at times). Anyway, I think his mistakes in the first half of 2010 have been exaggerated a bit: especially his crash in Monaco FP3. For example, Vettel crashed out twice this year in FP (Turkey and Canada), Hamilton crashed out twice last year in FP (Germany and Japan) and before the race Rosberg crashed out in Monaco this year too, but nobody count these crashes as mistakes in a season simply because they happened before the race. Yeah, I know that Alonso's mistake in Monaco FP3 was costly because his chassis broke, but at the end of the day, a mistake is always a mistake (costly or not) so it is funny when I see people counting that mistake by FA before the race and ignoring at the same time similar mistakes by other Top Drivers in FP.

Anyway, since Spa 2010 (just like Sebastian, the next double WC) Alonso has rarely made any mistake. He has made mistakes of course just like the rest of drivers, but since Spa 2010 he has been driving very well. Since Spa 2010, he did just dissapoint me in a single race that is China this year.

ATM, he has almost all the elements to be the Alonso of 2006 (or even better IMO): Driving Talent, Raw speed, Determination, Experience and a Team around him. *Almost* because he lacks the most important thing and is a car capable to fight for race wins race after race.

Agree overall. :up:

#10317 BalazsF1

BalazsF1

• 1,019 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:19

Fantastic summary. I completely agree with you. I would change just one word: he hasn't been driving very well since last year's Spa race, but he has been driving extraordinarily. :)

#10318 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,939 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 11:56

Slighlty off topic, but is that Wendlinger interview available anywhere online?

Unfortunately no. Autorevue has finally created a modern website, but it seems that old issues are not there: http://www.autorevue.at/?s=wendlinger
I would scan it for you, but I don't keep old issues. You could email them and ask for a copy: http://www.autorevue.at/service/heft ("Ältere Hefte können sie unter archiv@news.at nachbestellen").
The interview was really interesting (and IMHO Autorevue is generally a great mag)

#10319 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,939 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:00

Mario, just ignore him, although I'd love to see the feature: "Hide that person's messages in the future" - and you just can't see them anymore. I've seen that in action - at a custom local forum, though, and it's the only way an F1 community can survive without hassles.

On topic: Again, Alonso did his best, given the current trend, hoping for Monza.

There is an ignore feature: click the name on the left, choose View Member Profile, then menu Options, choose Ignore User, and then - this is important - scroll down and save the new ignore list. You will still see if he posts and can view it if you click it. And unfortunately you will still see it if someone quotes him

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 01 September 2011 - 12:00.

Advertisement

#10320 as65p

as65p

• 17,565 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:24

There is an ignore feature: click the name on the left, choose View Member Profile, then menu Options, choose Ignore User, and then - this is important - scroll down and save the new ignore list. You will still see if he posts and can view it if you click it. And unfortunately you will still see it if someone quotes him

Come on folks, let's not go there. Ignore is for wimps. :)

#10321 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 16:54

Like it! :love: :up:

#10322 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,079 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 15:43

Interview with Autobild.

http://www.f1-direct...p?id_news=10846

Edited by kosmos, 03 September 2011 - 15:56.

#10323 HPT

HPT

• 1,180 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 04:58

Interview with Autobild.

http://www.f1-direct...p?id_news=10846

The bit I find really interesting:

When asked about a third WDC:

"It's very important to me. I will not stop until I have been world champion with Ferrari. If it does not happen by 2016 (the end of his contract with Ferrari), then I will stay in F1 for twenty years as Michael Schumacher, until 2021! " (translated with Google)

Last year he said if he does not win another title he'll still be happy and satisfied with two. But now it seems he has renewed hunger to win his third title. I really hope he stays in F1 for a long time to come but not at the expense of him not winning another title for much longer. Stay and win several more!

#10324 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:07

Stay and win several more!

:cool: With a good car from Ferrari he will do right this!

#10325 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:15

Many has said,in the past, that Alonso is not the fastest but the most complete. I stay by this credit. When he says he will win, he won, many times. credit for him to be accurate. Sometime it appears to be negative comments, but it just how things are. Looking forward to battle against Kimi, sooner.

#10326 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 13:09

Many has said,in the past, that Alonso is not the fastest but the most complete. I stay by this credit. When he says he will win, he won, many times. credit for him to be accurate. Sometime it appears to be negative comments, but it just how things are. Looking forward to battle against Kimi, sooner.

Being the most complete in some way implies being the fastest.

#10327 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 13:39

Many has said,in the past, that Alonso is not the fastest but the most complete. I stay by this credit.

Fred is lucky Webber is and will remain in F1, otherwise people would call him the worse starter of F1. :p

Alonso's credit is going down :down:
His ratting is under revaluation from Standard&Poor Performance.

I wanna see the behaviour of the tifosi in Monza :wave:

#10328 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 13:55

Fred is lucky Webber is and will remain in F1, otherwise people would call him the worse starter of F1. :p

:down:
This must come from a hater!

#10329 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,120 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 13:58

And we are really unlucky that, of all the internet, you picked this specific forum to express your bitterness. :wave:

Could you at least try to provide some correct and interesting information to keep a rational disussion going?

#10330 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 14:02

actually this season so far, he was one of the best starters.

not within the f1-community and withing the drivers and the team principals and especially not within Ferrari.

But if he does it in your opinion, i think we all can live with it  ;)

#10331 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 14:14

Did you watch Spanish? No?
So far in 2011 hes very good starter, better than Hamilton for example.

Is his reputation falling down? At who's view? Yours? Apart from Vettel, hes doing the best at the front of grid in 2011.

They already love him, so what are they going to do?
You are pathethic. I dont see any point in you posting here, I mean really? Do you think that ANYONE is going to believe that bullshit you write here? Or are you trying to convince yourself?

#10332 AirWebber

AirWebber

• 292 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 14:17

http://www1.folha.uo...iz-alonso.shtml
Reporter Tatiana Cunha follows the circus.
Very looong interview... googled. :wave:

Michael Schumacher completed 20 years of F-1 in Spa What do you think of it?
Fernando Alonso - I have great respect for him, is the largest. If you look at his numbers in F-1, he deserves everyone's respect. Michael has won many things that for most of us pilots will be impossible to repeat. Even today, even if the results are not what he wants, he has fun. In my opinion, when he resolved to return to F-1 was because he missed it at home. For us it is very difficult to get the adrenaline, the emotions we have here somewhere else. Even today he is the fifth or tenth, is happy. People do not understand this at home, but I'm sure he wakes up happy every day. We must be proud to share the track with Schumacher.

Do you think that is good for F-1 he be back?
Yes, for all the pilots that he be on the track gives more value to what we do. We're running better. If the teammate he was winning races and the championship would make more sense for him to be criticized. The Mercedes car is not good at the moment, lack competitiveness. If he were in a more competitive car would certainly be fighting for victory.

You said you do not see running for as long as he. There will also miss the adrenalin?
Certainly. For me it's hard to think of staying in Formula 1 for 20 years. Debuted in 2001, which means that in 2021 I was still here [laughs]. It's hard to see me at Spa in ten years. The F-1 requires much physical and mental work and your life sucks. You work almost 365 days a year is gearing up, running events or sponsors.

Do you consider yourself the best driver on the grid?
No. Each one has its own characteristics, its strengths and weaknesses. We must try to understand what the weak point of our rivals and work on it. The difference in the cars is hard to see the quality of the pilots. I imagine that if you take a driver who is now 12 and put in a Ferrari or a Red Bull he might win races. I do not think there is a better driver than others. Experience the speed, the way to work with engineers and prepare for the race can make a difference. But I think we are all very level if we consider only the talent. We all win in karting in the smaller categories and when we got the F-1 choose different methods of working. But we all know how to drive a fast car.

What do you think of Nico Rosberg? He has been faster than Schumacher constantly ...
He has done well over the past two years alongside Michael. Run your hand is always a good reference and he has often won. I think he's very talented and I think he will be world champion one day.

What can be said of Flavio Briatore?
It is a friend and the person who most helped me to get on the F-1. When I was in F-3000 he offered me a contract with Renault for five years, and the first would be for Minardi. This is not common in F-1, someone who helps you to get only relying on their ability. I will always be grateful for that. I miss him in the paddock. He was great for the show.

It would serve to Ferrari?
It would be easy for him to fit into the team structure as it is today. But while there's always room for smart people and want to make things right. Why not?

How is working at Ferrari?
It's a great world that I discovered last year. When I got was a surprisingly better than expected, with all the history, atmosphere, people working in Maranello. It's like a family even today the sons of mechanics who worked at the factory in the past are there. It was a dream come true for me. The team is the best I have ever worked for, people are very professional and committed. What is missing are the wins and championships. But I'm sure we'll be back soon. This will not come by chance, because the team is built to win.

The team has changed since you arrived? Can you say that Ferrari now have the hand of Alonso?
Definitely every person who comes in the team makes a difference. I am a hard worker, determined to win and I think that was the message that the team received when I arrived. No time to relax. There were some changes in the organization chart of the team and it changed things up a bit. A year and a half the team was different, but the changes are for the better, to be more efficient. Beside Stefano [Domenicali, team chief] and President [Luca di] Montezemolo have to stay calm and know that we are on track.

Have you had any influence on these changes?
Not exactly. But always try to stay optimistic and I am a fighter. I think the team is surprendeu it.

True, his father said that you only have a full career to drive for Ferrari one day?
For me it's like if you played the game and did not reach the last stage. Ferrari is more than one team, is a legend.

And how important it would be a champion for Ferrari?
Very, very important. It's something I want to do and while you can not will not settle down.

And if you do not get it until 2016 [when his current contract ends] ...
2021! [Laughs]

You set goals when he arrived on the team?
No, no. I know how hard it is to win races, more championships. Need to win on many factors. But every year I'm more relaxed because I know I'm in the best position to win. Maybe we lose, like last year, or as in this, that Red Bull is very strong.

Why do you think they are so superior now?
There are many factors. I think since 2009 they understood better the regulation and built a great car. Certainly Adrian [Newey] is a key part, but behind it I'm sure there are a large workgroup. To win a World Cup you need a great team and Red Bull is doing a great job.

Dreams of working alongside Newey one day?
Well, only if he would come to Ferrari [laughs] ... My dream is to be champion here and I know that is the dream of many mechanics and engineers working for Ferrari.

How would you describe Sebastian Vettel?
It is a great champion. Has won a title and is going to second after an excellent start to the year. It is a great rival and I think it will be in the future. He is very talented, now has the experience to fight for titles under pressure. I think the biggest strength is his speed. Your best quality is making the most of a car especially in back. Make a pole is not easy and even if you have the best car still needs to go to the track and make the turn. It is a quality that I may not like him. This year he is a great stage. If you do not win is always there.

I would like to have him as a teammate?
Why not? All the drivers want to drive for Ferrari, but not all say. If one day have a different mate okay. But I'm glad alongside Felipe [Mass], we work well together and I hope to run alongside him for many years. But if there is a different double fine.

When you were at Renault, Pat Symonds said that you had only one weakness: the inability to deal with a partner who is faster ...
In the past might have been true. But I've changed. I learned over time. In 19 races I might be faster in 15 and the other four I have tried to improve but did not understand why it was slower. Now start the season knowing that I may be 20 races faster at 15 and the other try to do better and get closer to who is in front.

And why in Germany last year you claimed on the radio because Felipe was in front of you? Not quite so. Whenever we talk on the radio, engineers want to know how our pace is, how fast you can go, if you're on the edge and stuff.

You have been faster than Felipe often. Would not you rather he gave you more work and force you to improve?
No, Philip is not giving me an easy life at all. Sometimes it may seem from the outside of the beholder, but we are very close. Of all the teammates I ever had it is one of the strongest. If you look at the training, ratings and races, we are always one or two tenths away. When more than that because something happened. Especially last year I think he was very unlucky in some situations with traffic, hit by car. I remember that in Singapore it was faster than me throughout the weekend and the classification he had a problem in that the exchange did leave last. It has not been as easy as it sounds. We work well together and have a very different style of driving. I am more aggressive in the turn-in, he is more cautious at the entrance but have a good time at the output, then it is good to compare our telemetry. We are complementary in the style of driving. Working together we both improved during the weekend, which is a good thing.

How do you see the 2011 championship?
It's simple. We are in a difficult situation. We must be realistic and know that under normal conditions we can not retrieve this disadvantage in the second half of the year. Maybe with errors or crazy situations we can get closer. But it is in our hands. Let us now consider race after race. If I had to bet on someone to win the title would be Sebastian.

What was the weekend of Abu Dhabi in 2010?
It was a sad weekend, missed a chance to win the championship. When it is so close and not get very frustrating, but it was in the past and there is nothing I can do now. If you could repeat that weekend would make things different. I got a position that might not be a real missed much because our competitors had mechanical failures, such as Sebastian in Korea.

Still angry at Vitaly Petrov?
I'm not angry, but I think his behavior was not the most intelligent. Not that he has done on purpose, but I tried to move twice, he defended the position. Do not get me annoyed because it was the race that would set the championship. Had he done that would at the Nurburgring in it for me. But each one behaves like either. We know the pilots and we know what are the easier or harder to pass, which are loyal and which are not.

You said you would do different things over the weekend. What would they be?
I think our mistake was not trying to cover Sebastian. The [Mark] Webber, who was second in the league, went to the pits and we tried to cover it. I went in front, but our tires ended much earlier than we thought. With Sebastian leading the race the more certain we would have forgotten him and focused on the Webber.

Soon, the frustration going on?
Not much. I flew home on the second and fifth have tested the tires of 2011. There has already turned the little key for this year. Thanks to that test was just easier to forget because I concentrated on 2011. If I'd stayed at home two months might have been more difficult to forget.

As can be sure that you will start in 2012 as the year fighting for the title?
I trust the team, I know they are working to build a winning car now, we have new members in important positions and have no doubt that we will have a competitive car next year. If you have to say who will be fighting for the title in 2012 I bet on Ferrari.

Edited by AirWebber, 04 September 2011 - 14:18.

#10333 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 14:30

Sounds like he has matured at Ferrari. As a Kimi fan its hard for me to say this, but i think i like him. Excellent driver and i hope to see him in F1 for a long time.

#10334 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 14:36

Fernando Alonso - I have great respect for him, is the largest. If you look at his numbers in F-1, he deserves everyone's respect. Michael has won many things that for most of us pilots will be impossible to repeat. Even today, even if the results are not what he wants, he has fun. In my opinion, when he resolved to return to F-1 was because he missed it at home. For us it is very difficult to get the adrenaline, the emotions we have here somewhere else. Even today he is the fifth or tenth, is happy. People do not understand this at home, but I'm sure he wakes up happy every day. We must be proud to share the track with Schumacher.

Yes, for all the pilots that he be on the track gives more value to what we do. We're running better. If the teammate he was winning races and the championship would make more sense for him to be criticized. The Mercedes car is not good at the moment, lack competitiveness. If he were in a more competitive car would certainly be fighting for victory.

You said you do not see running for as long as he. There will also miss the adrenalin?
Certainly. For me it's hard to think of staying in Formula 1 for 20 years. Debuted in 2001, which means that in 2021 I was still here [laughs]. It's hard to see me at Spa in ten years. The F-1 requires much physical and mental work and your life sucks. You work almost 365 days a year is gearing up, running events or sponsors.

No. Each one has its own characteristics, its strengths and weaknesses. We must try to understand what the weak point of our rivals and work on it. The difference in the cars is hard to see the quality of the pilots. I imagine that if you take a driver who is now 12 and put in a Ferrari or a Red Bull he might win races. I do not think there is a better driver than others. Experience the speed, the way to work with engineers and prepare for the race can make a difference. But I think we are all very level if we consider only the talent. We all win in karting in the smaller categories and when we got the F-1 choose different methods of working. But we all know how to drive a fast car.

What do you think of Nico Rosberg? He has been faster than Schumacher constantly ...
He has done well over the past two years alongside Michael. Run your hand is always a good reference and he has often won. I think he's very talented and I think he will be world champion one day.

It is a friend and the person who most helped me to get on the F-1. When I was in F-3000 he offered me a contract with Renault for five years, and the first would be for Minardi. This is not common in F-1, someone who helps you to get only relying on their ability. I will always be grateful for that. I miss him in the paddock. He was great for the show.

It would be easy for him to fit into the team structure as it is today. But while there's always room for smart people and want to make things right. Why not?

It's a great world that I discovered last year. When I got was a surprisingly better than expected, with all the history, atmosphere, people working in Maranello. It's like a family even today the sons of mechanics who worked at the factory in the past are there. It was a dream come true for me. The team is the best I have ever worked for, people are very professional and committed. What is missing are the wins and championships. But I'm sure we'll be back soon. This will not come by chance, because the team is built to win.

The team has changed since you arrived? Can you say that Ferrari now have the hand of Alonso?
Definitely every person who comes in the team makes a difference. I am a hard worker, determined to win and I think that was the message that the team received when I arrived. No time to relax. There were some changes in the organization chart of the team and it changed things up a bit. A year and a half the team was different, but the changes are for the better, to be more efficient. Beside Stefano [Domenicali, team chief] and President [Luca di] Montezemolo have to stay calm and know that we are on track.

Not exactly. But always try to stay optimistic and I am a fighter. I think the team is surprendeu it.

True, his father said that you only have a full career to drive for Ferrari one day?
For me it's like if you played the game and did not reach the last stage. Ferrari is more than one team, is a legend.

Very, very important. It's something I want to do and while you can not will not settle down.

2021! [Laughs]

No, no. I know how hard it is to win races, more championships. Need to win on many factors. But every year I'm more relaxed because I know I'm in the best position to win. Maybe we lose, like last year, or as in this, that Red Bull is very strong.

There are many factors. I think since 2009 they understood better the regulation and built a great car. Certainly Adrian [Newey] is a key part, but behind it I'm sure there are a large workgroup. To win a World Cup you need a great team and Red Bull is doing a great job.

Well, only if he would come to Ferrari [laughs] ... My dream is to be champion here and I know that is the dream of many mechanics and engineers working for Ferrari.

It is a great champion. Has won a title and is going to second after an excellent start to the year. It is a great rival and I think it will be in the future. He is very talented, now has the experience to fight for titles under pressure. I think the biggest strength is his speed. Your best quality is making the most of a car especially in back. Make a pole is not easy and even if you have the best car still needs to go to the track and make the turn. It is a quality that I may not like him. This year he is a great stage. If you do not win is always there.

Why not? All the drivers want to drive for Ferrari, but not all say. If one day have a different mate okay. But I'm glad alongside Felipe [Mass], we work well together and I hope to run alongside him for many years. But if there is a different double fine.

When you were at Renault, Pat Symonds said that you had only one weakness: the inability to deal with a partner who is faster ...
In the past might have been true. But I've changed. I learned over time. In 19 races I might be faster in 15 and the other four I have tried to improve but did not understand why it was slower. Now start the season knowing that I may be 20 races faster at 15 and the other try to do better and get closer to who is in front.

And why in Germany last year you claimed on the radio because Felipe was in front of you? Not quite so. Whenever we talk on the radio, engineers want to know how our pace is, how fast you can go, if you're on the edge and stuff.

You have been faster than Felipe often. Would not you rather he gave you more work and force you to improve?
No, Philip is not giving me an easy life at all. Sometimes it may seem from the outside of the beholder, but we are very close. Of all the teammates I ever had it is one of the strongest. If you look at the training, ratings and races, we are always one or two tenths away. When more than that because something happened. Especially last year I think he was very unlucky in some situations with traffic, hit by car. I remember that in Singapore it was faster than me throughout the weekend and the classification he had a problem in that the exchange did leave last. It has not been as easy as it sounds. We work well together and have a very different style of driving. I am more aggressive in the turn-in, he is more cautious at the entrance but have a good time at the output, then it is good to compare our telemetry. We are complementary in the style of driving. Working together we both improved during the weekend, which is a good thing.

It's simple. We are in a difficult situation. We must be realistic and know that under normal conditions we can not retrieve this disadvantage in the second half of the year. Maybe with errors or crazy situations we can get closer. But it is in our hands. Let us now consider race after race. If I had to bet on someone to win the title would be Sebastian.

It was a sad weekend, missed a chance to win the championship. When it is so close and not get very frustrating, but it was in the past and there is nothing I can do now. If you could repeat that weekend would make things different. I got a position that might not be a real missed much because our competitors had mechanical failures, such as Sebastian in Korea.

I'm not angry, but I think his behavior was not the most intelligent. Not that he has done on purpose, but I tried to move twice, he defended the position. Do not get me annoyed because it was the race that would set the championship. Had he done that would at the Nurburgring in it for me. But each one behaves like either. We know the pilots and we know what are the easier or harder to pass, which are loyal and which are not.

I think our mistake was not trying to cover Sebastian. The [Mark] Webber, who was second in the league, went to the pits and we tried to cover it. I went in front, but our tires ended much earlier than we thought. With Sebastian leading the race the more certain we would have forgotten him and focused on the Webber.

Not much. I flew home on the second and fifth have tested the tires of 2011. There has already turned the little key for this year. Thanks to that test was just easier to forget because I concentrated on 2011. If I'd stayed at home two months might have been more difficult to forget.

I trust the team, I know they are working to build a winning car now, we have new members in important positions and have no doubt that we will have a competitive car next year. If you have to say who will be fighting for the title in 2012 I bet on Ferrari.

i read it already, but thx for it.
the first constructive thing you did here

#10335 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 14:37

Sounds like he has matured at Ferrari. As a Kimi fan its hard for me to say this, but i think i like him. Excellent driver and i hope to see him in F1 for a long time.

:up:

what does your singature say?

#10336 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 14:39

He is happy in Ferrari & Ferrari is happy with him!
Never seen him so relaxed before.....even it's not all happiness! :kiss:

#10337 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 14:43

what does your singature say?

Im sure my career will be remembered for my titles and nothing more, because i was never part of anything shady. :p I will change it sometime.

#10338 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 802 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 17:25

2021! [Laughs]

Really nice interview. I like his answer about his inability to deal with fast teammates.

#10339 Number62

Number62

• 494 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 17:58

2021! [Laughs]

Sounds like a complete PR robot to me.

Advertisement

#10340 Atomicus

Atomicus

• 108 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 19:49

I completely disagree Number62. I've heard and read too much coming from him since 2003 that lead me to believe he wasn't faking the jazz nor doing PR as you suggest. That guy is just Alonso voicing his opinion as it is.

Also I think some people tend to paint him as an evil so no matter what he does or say that he'll be either a bad person or PR robot...

It's a bit as the unfair criticism Seb oftenly gets...

Edited by Atomicus, 04 September 2011 - 19:51.

#10341 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,677 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 23:48

same here

#10342 Disgrace

Disgrace
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,194 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:55

Sounds like a complete PR robot to me.

Indeed, otherwise he'd be under far more critique from those looking to micro-analyse each word to form a bogus opinion to share with the world.

#10343 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 06:57

I think it's a bit of PR and his words aswel
Anyways good interview....he was mighty at Spa...fantastic race :up:

Edited by EdwardCullen, 05 September 2011 - 06:58.

#10344 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 07:38

Im sure my career will be remembered for my titles and nothing more, because i was never part of anything shady. :p I will change it sometime.

thx mate :up:

#10345 as65p

as65p

• 17,565 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:04

Indeed, otherwise he'd be under far more critique from those looking to micro-analyse each word to form a bogus opinion to share with the world.

TBH I can't make sense of half the translation, things could mean anything in parts. Like:

Do not get me annoyed because it was the race that would set the championship. Had he done that would at the Nurburgring in it for me. But each one behaves like either.

Make a pole is not easy and even if you have the best car still needs to go to the track and make the turn. It is a quality that I may not like him. This year he is a great stage. If you do not win is always there.

Okayyyy... :confused: :drunk:

#10346 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 11:41

Alonso has always been great with interviews.

Very coy, yet always giving the listener what they want.

Simply an honest interview which was a great read.

#10347 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,079 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:29

Fernando Alonso (Ferrari): “Monza is a very special race for every driver: it is the fastest circuit on the World Championship and driving there gives you an extraordinary feeling. It is also very special for emotional reasons, especially if you are a Scuderia Ferrari driver as I experienced for the first time last year. Winning in Monza is incredible: winning there driving a red car is even more incredible. Being on the podium, seeing thousands of fans below you wearing red shirts and waving red flags is simply an overwhelming emotion. Our aim this year is the same as last year: to win the race. We are aware that we have the potential to achieve our objective but we also know that our opponents are very strong. I am sure that we will have a very exciting race, as we have seen many times so far this season already. The return of Pirelli in F1 has brought an increase to the show, which was one of the targets set at the beginning of the year, so we have to thank them for this – and what better occasion than their home race?”

From some Pirelli press release today.

#10348 topical

topical

• 2,177 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 11:46

Not feeling very confident for Monza even though Alonso always goes well there. Have a fear McLaren could walk this one and the best we can hope for is a podium, especially with the eternal tyre problems. Would be astonished if Fred can repeat last year's great victory.

#10349 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 17:02

Alonso widely tipped to win on Sunday.......in the FOTA fans forum! :)

#10350 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 13:51

Posted Image
foto from tomcary_tel/twitter

Tifosi waiting of Fernando! :)