Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#10401 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,457 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 14:55

Awesome from Alonso today again, he got everything possible out of that car!

Did you hear the crowd chant Alonso Alonso Alonso during Vettel's anthem, it was amazing!

Advertisement

#10402 KavB

KavB

• 1,146 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 15:16

That start was unbelievable, but like in Spain I just knew he wouldn't be able to win this race.

It's great that he is 2nd in the championship. I just hope next year we get to see a straight duel between the two double WDC's! 2010 wasn't that great because Alonso had a slower car, and Vettel had an unreliable car. I hope next year Ferrari and Red Bull are able to produce near equal cars.

#10403 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 15:26

Did you hear the crowd chant Alonso Alonso Alonso during Vettel's anthem, it was amazing!

:love: Tifosi loves him!

#10404 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,132 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 15:28

True, he seems to be unable to challenge for WDC or even race wins without best car.

It seems somebody is really bitter at Alonso's exhibition of racing skills... :wave:

#10405 yr

yr

• 5,970 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 15:59

Well he was able to challenge for race wins and the WDC last year without the best car, so i don't agree with that.

Well last year he was able to challenge (despite his numerous mistakes ) because Vettel had very unreliable car.

Edited by yr, 11 September 2011 - 15:59.

#10406 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 15:59

[url="http://The%20crowd%20chant%20"Alonso%20Alonso%20Alonso"%20during%20Vettel's%20anthem..."]Alonso start[/url]. :love:

#10407 as65p

as65p

• 17,714 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:02

Great start and he fought like a Champion, nice to see him on the podium.

Can't believe how bad that car is on Primes.

Yep, the (non-existant) traction out of the chicanes was hilarious. Already worst of the top cars on options, but on primes the car looked as if standing still, accelerating out of the slow stuff.

Oh well, doesn't matter that much for this season anyway. I just hope they got an idea how to fix it for 2012.

#10408 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,034 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:05

Well last year he was able to challenge (despite his numerous mistakes ) because Vettel had very unreliable car.

And Vettel also made mistakes, which he has managed to avoid (ominously) this year.

All the contenders made critical driving mistakes last year (although I can't remember one from Button just at the moment).

#10409 yr

yr

• 5,970 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:15

But I guess you just have an agenda and don't care any of this so probably you may come up with some sort of unfair rebutttttal.

I have no agenda, I am just truly fed up with Alonso fans who call it the "drive of the race" even if Alonso finishes 20th or something. It seems there is no result from Fernando which his fans fans wouldnt consider as "best what anybody could have achieved with that car". Thats pretty annoying. Like today, when Button passed Alonso, our commentator Mika Salo (who is very pro-Alonso BTW) said that it sounded very much like Alonso selected a wrong gear and thus was so slow that Button was able to pass. If Salo was right, then Alonso lost a position and good points because of his own mistake - but yet, according to his fans he did everything perfectly and got out everything there was from his car. :rolleyes:

#10410 bub

bub

• 2,518 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:17

Great drive by Fernando. What a start!!!

#10411 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,412 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:18

I have no agenda, I am just truly fed up with Alonso fans who call it the "drive of the race" even if Alonso finishes 20th or something. It seems there is no result from Fernando which his fans fans wouldnt consider as "best what anybody could have achieved with that car". Thats pretty annoying. Like today, when Button passed Alonso, our commentator Mika Salo (who is very pro-Alonso BTW) said that it sounded very much like Alonso selected a wrong gear and thus was so slow that Button was able to pass. If Salo was right, then Alonso lost a position and good points because of his own mistake - but yet, according to his fans he did everything perfectly and got out everything there was from his car. :rolleyes:

Missed a gear? The car didn´t have any traction exiting the first chicane. You can see how slowly he exited every lap of the race, especially with the medium tyres.

#10412 EdwardCullen

EdwardCullen

• 763 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:20

And who said tifosi don't like Alonso! Look at that crowd :lol:

nobody said that!

anyways what a fantastic start :up:

#10413 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:21

Alonso put the drive of a champion today on what it is the third best car of the grid. Second place in the WDC is the best he can get with the car he's got and that is where he is right now. :clap:

#10414 yr

yr

• 5,970 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:22

Missed a gear? The car didn´t have any traction exiting the first chicane. You can see how slowly he exited every lap of the race, especially with the medium tyres.

I am not saying he hit the wrong gear, Mika Salo is. He could be wrong though, but it was an initial thought that MS had during the pass.

#10415 Alarcon

Alarcon

• 2,468 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:27

that was one of the best starts i've seen from him! this P3 almost feels like victory

Imo Barcelona was better and more difficult.

Today he drove superbly and he´s really making the difference.

#10416 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:30

Well done to Fer. He maximized the potential of his car again :up:

I was so nervous in the last laps that I couldn't watch the TV. This podium feels without a doubt like a WIN! :)

#10417 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,314 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:31

I have no agenda, I am just truly fed up with Alonso fans who call it the "drive of the race" even if Alonso finishes 20th or something.

Todays it was a "drive of the day", or at least up to contention taking into account the car he is driving and the finishing position, not even you can deny it. And nobody here say that Alonso do well when he finish 20th.

Edited by kosmos, 11 September 2011 - 16:32.

#10418 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:35

AMAZING drive from Fernando! :lol: Along with Schumacher, the drive of the race! Two guys with good, but not great equipment, punching above their weight! :up: :up:

Interesting that while some feel it is their responsibility to crticize him, he still manages to outperform all expectations -- the latest, securing 2nd position in the championship by maximizing his and the cars potential. WELL DONE NANDO!! :clap:

#10419 boldhakka

boldhakka

• 2,802 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 16:55

Easily the best. Driving at his peak now. Too bad the engineering team at Ferrari has been pretty sub-par for a while now. Hopefully his time will come again sooner rather than later.

Advertisement

#10420 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,452 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 17:48

I disliked this guy during his time at Renault but boy oh boy has he made a believer out of me. He was a gladiator today and has been pretty much all season. Considering his equipment over the course of the season, he has no business being second in the championship.

Ferrari need to step up to the plate now because Alonso is definitely playing his part.

#10421 Iridescent

Iridescent

• 347 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 18:59

I don't know how evident it is from an outside perspective but today's race was one of the most mature drives I've seen from a race car driver. Fernando definitely deserves a car that is up there pace-wise.

That said, it should be noted that Vettel and Button did a great job as well.

#10422 topical

topical

• 2,295 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 19:07

I disliked this guy during his time at Renault but boy oh boy has he made a believer out of me. He was a gladiator today and has been pretty much all season. Considering his equipment over the course of the season, he has no business being second in the championship.

Ferrari need to step up to the plate now because Alonso is definitely playing his part.

Yep. I think this season is Nando's best since 2006 in terms of speed and consistency blended with maturity. Just a shame he doesn't have the car to give Vettel a proper fight.

#10423 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,452 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 19:45

Yep. I think this season is Nando's best since 2006 in terms of speed and consistency blended with maturity. Just a shame he doesn't have the car to give Vettel a proper fight.

I hope Ferrari give him a car capable of fighting for the championship next year. Apart from Vettel, he has easy been the driver of the season thus far.

#10424 GAZF1nut

GAZF1nut

• 603 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 19:54

I totally agree with your post and I'll also add that I disliked him at Mclaren aswell but now,and I am a diehard Hamilton fan, I have full respect for his driving and he, along with Hamilton of course, should be driving theF1 car Vettel is driving now.

#10425 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,042 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 19:54

Alonso had a very good start and then slipped back to where he should normally have been. Schumacher also helped him a lot.
So what's so special about it?

#10426 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 19:57

Alonso had a very good start and then slipped back to where he should normally have been. Schumacher also helped him a lot.

Whats special is how hard he pushes and rarely makes mistakes and how he always delivers everything from the car.

#10427 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 20:06

Really nice interview with Fernando and Sebastian. They aren't just great drivers on track, but nice guys off track too (Actually, I think all current F1 drivers are nice guys... although some more than others ;) )

OT: I believe Vettel will be the Alonso's sucessor in Ferrari.

Edited by AlanWake, 11 September 2011 - 20:07.

#10428 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 20:17

You're just playing with us, right? :rotfl:

Vettel has driven brilliantly, while in a brilliant car, and is completely deserving of his dominant position in the WDC. Then how much moreso impressive has Alonso's driving been this year??! :clap: It is beyond brilliant and remarkable that this Ferrari driver, whose team started the season as 4th best (behind RB, Macs & LRGP), and is now firmly entrenched in a distant third place in the WCC, sits SECOND in the WDC standings ONLY to the Magnificent Vettel!! :cool:

You might not find feats like that "Special", but I have no doubt that the other team managers and his fellow competitors sure do. Shame, as an F1 fan you are somehow blinded to what is patently obvious to any non-biased observer.

#10429 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 20:28

Posts deleted.

Please stop trolling.

#10430 Architrion

Architrion

• 141 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 20:32

Posts deleted.

Please stop trolling.

You are my hero :clap: :clap: :clap:

#10431 Group B

Group B

• 13,971 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 20:36

Really nice interview with Fernando and Sebastian. They aren't just great drivers on track, but nice guys off track too (Actually, I think all current F1 drivers are nice guys... although some more than others ;) )

:up:
Good stuff. Fred continues to grow on me.

#10432 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 20:58

Whats special is how hard he pushes and rarely makes mistakes and how he always delivers everything from the car.

:up: everything said!

#10433 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 21:50

I hope that Alonso will be harder on Vettel next time around. Alonso is the gentleman driver as of now, and wan to see him forcing Vettel tob on the grass in oder for racin to be safe, like Michael used to do.

#10434 Atomicus

Atomicus

• 108 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 21:53

I hope that Alonso will be harder on Vettel next time around. Alonso is the gentleman driver as of now, and wan to see him forcing Vettel tob on the grass in oder for racin to be safe, like Michael used to do.

I think he was hard enough. He pushed Vettel to the grass a bit as he did to Hamilton in 2007, but left room when he saw Vettel was unstoppable. I don't see the point of being even more hard taking into account the RBR car would overtake him anyway. Perhaps if he had tried harder he would have lost some seconds that may have been very decisive towards the end when Hamilton was chasing!

Edited by Buttoneer, 12 September 2011 - 17:59.

#10435 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 11 September 2011 - 22:06

Well not, when if Vettel suffers on grass longer and lose some places, damage important aero parts and so on. Look how a grass tous afected Lewis's race. I know it will not change much te end results, but go fed up with listening what BBC is shouting... Alonso being very nice, Alonso giving space, ... and so on...

#10436 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,314 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 06:14

http://www.ferrari.c...a-Alonso_EN.jpg

If you are a premium member you can submit the questions on the forum, they will pick up 10 to ask Fernando.

For those who love statistics, yesterday, Fernando got his 70th podium in F1 and is the only man together with Schumacher to reach 1000 points in his F1 career. This last years with the new scoring system helped a little, but even with the old system, it was a done deal for him to reach 1000 points with 4/5 more year driving in F1.

#10437 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,314 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:50

"That is a belief that was created in 2007," said the Ferrari driver, referring to his ill-fated single season alongside Lewis Hamilton at McLaren.

"The reason was the contamination of the media, particularly the British.

"I have been in formula one for 11 years. For ten, I was the consummate professional," he explained. "Engineers, mechanics and my teammates could not say a word against my professionalism.

"But in 2007, McLaren, the English press, week after week, contaminated our relationship, which was not bad. That is what led to this general impression about me.

"But nothing changes for me, my values stay the same. When I went onto the market, the offers I received were as great before and after 2007," added Alonso.

:up: :up: , this is something that everybody knows, but some refuse to believe, and the proof is that Hamilton and Fernando never hated each other despite all the efforts from media and some fans to make the rest of the wrold to believe it in 2007.

A little more here:

http://motorsport.ne...mage,29870.html

#10438 GerhardBerger

GerhardBerger

• 510 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 09:57

:up: :up: , this is something that everybody knows, but some refuse to believe, and the proof is that Hamilton and Fernando never hated each other despite all the efforts from media and some fans to make the rest of the wrold to believe it in 2007.

A little more here:

Thanks, I like the bit about Singapore. As i was saying in another thread, Alonso is very strong at Singapore. It is perhaps even his strongest track.

#10439 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,132 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:17

A little more here:

The original interview (in Portuguese):
http://blogs.estadao...banco-dos-reus/

Advertisement

#10440 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,314 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 10:35

Thanks for the portuguese link, here is the machine translation, I think is pretty good, at least you can understand almost everything.

E - There is a consensus on a formula that you are the pilot that every team wants, but since you are his leader. When the team shares the spotlight with your partner you are not the same.

FA - is the belief that was created after 2007. The reason was the contamination of the media, particularly the English. I have 11 years of Formula 1. At 10, I was the consummate professional. Engineers, mechanics could not say a word against my professionalism and my teammates. But in 2007, McLaren (the other pilot was rookie Lewis Hamilton), the English press, week after week, contaminated our relationship, which was not bad either. That's what led to this general impression about me. But nothing changes for me, my values ​​are the same, so as to love Formula 1. When I left the market, the offers I received were great before and after 2007, therefore in the view of Formula 1 that have about me is the same.

E - In addition to great driver and wish the team at his side, his fame is also a bad loser. How do you react when you read or hear such things?

FA - I'm very competitive. If you do not win, I can not be happy. If I feel sore loser, all right. I want to win, always. I know there are limits, I recognize the difficulties of Formula 1. Today I'm 30, I'm more mature, calm, learned a lot and deal with these issues in a more tranquil.

E - How to explain that his fellow Ferrari, Felipe Massa, amounted to half of their points last year and now lives the same wear, while in 2008 he was vice-champion of the world?

AP - With a car like ours is hard to even complicated (best results). Our driving styles are different, but opposites. The way you go in the corners, brake up, treat tires. I'm aggressive, he polished. With Formula 1 tires, especially last year, their difficulties are greater. Philip suffers much more than me. But our relationship is good, the best among the top teams, and because of this difference of riding are complementary, which helps the team.

And - In the Belgian Grand Prix two weeks ago, as well as other steps this year to overcome Nico Rosberg, Mercedes, has become essential to advance in rank of the race. You came and went. Philip, was behind all the time and compromised his race.

FA - I overtook Nico back in 7 or 8, when his tires were already degrading, which gave me a chance. Felipe was behind him after the pit stop, when Nico was with new tires. With the speed of the Mercedes at the end of the line is not easy to overtake. There is something interesting about it. I started at Minardi, always in the last settings. Then I went to Renault and won two titles. As a result, McLaren, also among the first. But on returning to Renault in 2008 and 2009, walked from the sixth to tenth place. Today I see that driving in the middle of the peloton was something necessary for my training. I developed when overtaking and I see now how that teaching is useful.

E - This is not the charges of parading, but again some say that the fact that the main sponsor of the Ferrari to be the bank Santander, the Spanish parent, and you will be managing privileges on the Spanish team.

FA - Good, no? (Laughs) Everyone can talk and think about what you want, is part of the sport. Formula 1 is that, sports public. In media, too, especially on the Internet. Formula 1 is lavish strong personalities such as Bernie Ecclestone and until recently Flavio Briatore. Pilots, managers are exposed to these kinds of comments. GP2 there is no such thing.

E - You assign the Singapore Grand Prix victory in 2008, the same value as achieved last year, with Ferrari? (In 2008, Nelson Piquet, mate Alonso at Renault, deliberately provoked an accident to the safety car in order to favor the position of Alonso on the track (he had dropped in 15. º), which was decisive in winning the Spanish ).

AP - After Spain, the Singapore Grand Prix is ​​my favorite. I love running at night. I won in 2008, 2010 and got there the only podium for Renault in 2009. There is something on the track that fits my style tailored to drive. I know it's strange to you, but the victory of 2008 was as special as last year. Victoria normal for me, considering the level of competitiveness of my car.

Kudos to the journalist, very good interview touching sensible matters, and very honest responses from Alonso.

#10441 topical

topical

• 2,295 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:22

Alonso was as hard on Vettel as he could be without getting dirty. I think that's good. Alonso has never fought dirty on track and I hope it stays that way.

#10442 topical

topical

• 2,295 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:25

Thanks for the portuguese link, here is the machine translation, I think is pretty good, at least you can understand almost everything.

Kudos to the journalist, very good interview touching sensible matters, and very honest responses from Alonso.

Yes, good interview with provocative questions. But even as an Alonso fan I honestly don't know how he can say things like that about the 2008 Singapore race except out of mere stubborness.

#10443 Wi000

Wi000

• 1,163 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:35

OT: I believe Vettel will be the Alonso's sucessor in Ferrari.

Thanks for posting the interview :up:

I agree with you about Vettel to Ferrari in the future, yesterday you could see him enjoying the thousands of tifosi underneath the podium cheering for Fernando who only managed 3rd. I think he got a little taste of the Ferrari magic there.

#10444 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 11:39

I think he got a little taste of the Ferrari magic there.

:lol: What he will forgot fast when he is overtaking a red underdog in his car 'fantastico'.......he should ask Monte if he can drive with a red bull car for the reds.....

#10445 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,314 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 12:16

I honestly don't know how he can say things like that about the 2008 Singapore race except out of mere stubborness.

If it's true that he didn't know anything (till the race was over and the scandal was discovered), for him was just a normal race, he was pushing and doing the maximum he can, obviously helped in a big way by the SC but this happen all the time in racing. From his perspective I think is understandable that he cherish that race because he did his job. Now is up to every person to guess if he was involved or not, or if it's OK that he cherish a race that he won thanks to cheating.

My personal opinion is that he is right to think about it in this way but it's not politically correct to say it, in case he was not involved. If he was involved, he should be assemed.

#10446 Atomicus

Atomicus

• 108 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 14:34

Is it so annoying? I don't understand why anyone would get annoyed by that. It happens anyway at anyother fan base, a big amount of people won't see the faults of the driver they support.
However, not everybody is like that, just read back in this thread to the dates where Alonso didn't do as nice and you'll see Ferrari and Alonso fans stating and suggesting Alonso wasn't as great as he should, therefore not saying it should be the driver of the race. So again false accusations to put down Alonso fans. :rolleyes:

I could not find any source confirming the gear thing for Monza btw.

So in case you didn't notice there are good reasons why many could vote Alonso as the driver of the day at Monza.

Edited by Atomicus, 12 September 2011 - 14:35.

#10447 joshb

joshb

• 3,336 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 14:53

I haven't yet heard the interview done by RTL/La Sexta (no sund on the pc in the Uni library!) but Nando has gone up in my estimation recently.
He's made the best of a car which is hardly winnable in, not really complained (i suppose you can make what you want out of his comments regarding Newey lately), he's the best of the rest behind Vettel and he seems to have turned down the mind games ("its easy to win with a second a lap advantage" etc)

Although for my heart rate I wouldn't have minded him giving Seb a foot more room on Sunday!

#10448 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 17:31

Although for my heart rate I wouldn't have minded him giving Seb a foot more room on Sunday!

Alonso admitted he had been a bit too hard while squeezing Vettel onto the grass and apologised in the post-race news conference.

Alonso's apologies weren't enough because post-race Vettel officially asked the stewards to look into the incident.

here....

:down: Vettel

#10449 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 17:33

Alonso moves to all-time Rankings high :up:

#10450 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 12 September 2011 - 17:34

:down: Vettel

Thumbs down... to Vettel?? Why exactly?? He was the victim of a harsh move, why should he be bashed?? Making F1 boring??