Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#10751 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:34

The meaning is: "I did an amazing lap because I´m an amazing driver and if not I would be like my team mate, 1 second behind". Just to explain he has a rubbish car and even with that he´s close to McLaren and his team mate is just 1 second behind him.

Even the most Alonso fan of the world could understand. That´s very disrespectful.

Nira Juanco didn´t ask about Massa, Alonso metioned his team mate first (as Alguersuari use to do too), as he did last time saying he´s beating him all the time in qualifying... Please a little bit of common sense.

Ok, we understood your opinion and your interpretation,

as you can see,
other interpretations are possible.
so what do you want still to discuss in that matter?

Edited by YellowHelmet, 25 September 2011 - 10:34.

Advertisement

#10752 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,056 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:40

sure, but that's about today's performance.

I may be mixing things up here (sorry) , it was just a general thought about how good is FA being clearly and constantly faster than FM and Seb being constantly and clearly faster than MW. In any condition and almost every track/tyre combination.

My fault, I thought you were referring to yesterday's qualy, I see your point now.

Vettel is having an almost faultless season, but he is not receiving as much credit for it as other drivers who are having a great season (like Alonso) because everybody is discounting the fact that with such a superior car he has an easier task than others. To say it with a graphic example, it is not that the guy cannot overtake, but he needs to do so less frequently than others and then when he does he often is a second per lap faster than the car in front. Jenson Button had the same issue in 2009, and in fact his reputation is getting more of a boost this year than when he won WDC, and it is all down to his car getting most of the credit in 2009, just like Newey's car did in 2010 and now in 2011.

As for the comparison with Webber, I agree that there is a big difference, particularly in qualifying - Vettel has not made a mistake in qualy this year. But people still wonder about why the picture this year is so different from what it was last year, when the difference was not that big, and look for alternative reasons, ranging from the 2011 car being more suited to Vettel's driving style (I have seen this discussed, but cannot give an educated opinion on it) to the wildest conspiracy theories. In Alonso's case, his performance over Massa's has been more consistent, but you will still find people trying to find reasons that go beyond the "Alonso is a better driver"; in this case, those reasons range from Massa having lost it after the accident (despite him having, in my opinion, a good performance with what has been a non-competitive car) to again the wildest conspiracy theories about the Chairman of Santander personally manipulating the Ferrari cars ;)

I think Alonso is a better driver than Vettel. Let's see how Vettel grows as a driver, he is still very young.

Edited by Fontainebleau, 25 September 2011 - 10:40.

#10753 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:49

Really? I see that as a compliment to Massa, he is saying that he has to do his best to be ahead of Massa (If I would have done a normal lap I would be 1 second behind where Massa is). He's always going to be criticized, if he says he's doing great laps he is arrogant, if he says he is constantly in front of Massa with no risks he would be a bad team mate. He's tired of being asked how bad Massa's performance is or how disappointing is getting "only" the 4th or 5th position on the grid is so he wants to make clear he's doing a great effort to get those results, is not like he's just cruising...

Brave atempt at spinning. I mean, you wrote the above without any fear of sounding ridiculous. Unfortunately it fell flat.

#10754 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:51

We all know how Alonso is

You bet.

#10755 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,056 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:52

The meaning is: "I did an amazing lap because I´m an amazing driver and if not I would be like my team mate, 1 second behind". Just to explain he has a rubbish car and even with that he´s close to McLaren and his team mate is just 1 second behind him.

Even the most Alonso fan of the world could understand. That´s very disrespectful.

Nira Juanco didn´t ask about Massa, Alonso metioned his team mate first (as Alguersuari use to do too), as he did last time saying he´s beating him all the time in qualifying... Please a little bit of common sense.

Only that you are leaving out the final part of Alonso's sentence, which casts a different light to the one you are giving.

Nira Juanco does not ask him about Massa, but asks him about those two tenths he missed in oreder to get 2nd. Alonso's answer is related to that: "I was that close because I had a great lap, had I had a normal one (and see where my teammate is for reference) I would have been a full second behind, and you would not be feeling sorry about those two tenths" (the part in italics is what you have left out of the quote when interpreting it).

Another interesting bit of info for those who want to "interpret" Alonso's words is that, as he was approaching the place where he was going to be interviewed, he was very, very upset - nearly furious. You cannot hear him, but by looking at his face it is easy to say he is swearing big time (in Spanish). No idea of whether that was because he just missed 2nd by less that two tenths, or for a different reason.

The funniest thing is that, as he joins the journalists, the first thing Juanco tells him is "I am going to show you the times..." and then she realises what a silly thing she just said (and Alonso's face), and corrects "... although you probably already know them". :lol:

#10756 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:01

Another interesting bit of info for those who want to "interpret" Alonso's words is that, as he was approaching the place where he was going to be interviewed, he was very, very upset - nearly furious. You cannot hear him, but by looking at his face it is easy to say he is swearing big time (in Spanish). No idea of whether that was because he just missed 2nd by less that two tenths, or for a different reason.

Thank you for that. That's very enlightening indeed. These occasions are the ones he forget all the PR BS trainning and shows his true colors.

Edited by cardin, 25 September 2011 - 11:02.

#10757 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:09

These occasions are the ones he forget all the PR BS trainning and shows his true colors.

Incredible the way some are trying to put Fernando in bad light!
Never seen the 'face' of Vettel on podium, when he DIDN'T Won?? :rolleyes:

#10758 topical

topical

• 2,094 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:10

Let's hope for another lightning Alonso start and gaining a place or two at the first corner. I expect Vettel to walk away with the race as usual but a podium is hopefully possible. On the other hand Alonso is probably due a first-lap incident, I hope not! Should be an interesting race, SC could turn things upside down at any point.

#10759 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:12

Thank you for that. That's very enlightening indeed. These occasions are the ones he forget all the PR BS trainning and shows his true colors.

Thats true,

whether PR or not he is saying the truth.
He is not a liar, nor an unambitioned driver.

He is giving it all, every time and so it is possible to beat Massa that clear.
Nothing bad about giving everything.

Advertisement

#10760 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:17

Thats true,

If you think this classless kind of thing is ok, what can say ? Other than Fernando is the right guy for you.

#10761 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:19

Thats true,

:up: ♥♥♥

#10762 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 11:21

Incredible the way some are trying to put Fernando in bad light!
Never seen the 'face' of Vettel on podium, when he DIDN'T Won?? :rolleyes:

You guys are unbelievable. You are trying to equate Vettel's facial expression when he looses with what Alonso said.
You have no perspective, you live in a flat world.

#10763 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:00

If you think this classless kind of thing is ok, what can say ? Other than Fernando is the right guy for you.

Why are you trying to offend me,
just because you cant understand what alonso is saying :confused:

#10764 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:00

You guys are unbelievable. You are trying to equate Vettel's facial expression when he looses with what Alonso said.
You have no perspective, you live in a flat world.

and you are now not debating the topic, you are trying to offend some of us.
why?

#10765 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:16

and you are now not debating the topic, you are trying to offend some of us.
why?

A little too sensitive, aren't we ? But I know what you are trying to do here. Have you PMed the mods already ?

#10766 Clay

Clay

• 72 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:27

I see a bit creepy to give that much importance to a couple of words. Perhaps what he said wasn't the best words but I highly doubt he meant to be disrespectful towars Massa.

But keep it up! This is what internet forums have become.

#10767 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,751 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:06

Another great race and wonderful start again. The car was crap today, there is no excuse, hot race with soft and super soft and we were miles away from McLaren, Ferrari is going to be painful to watch in the remaining races. Same that he lost the 2nd position in the WDC, but it's not a realistic position for the F150.

Edited by kosmos, 25 September 2011 - 14:09.

#10768 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:08

well done Fernando :up:
Great drive in a crap of car.

#10769 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,747 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:11

What great did FA exactly do? Let MW pass him greatly? Drive totally unspectacularly but great?

#10770 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:11

Alonso is just making miracles at the moment. The RB7 was one second a lap faster than the F150th Italia

Edited by fabr68, 25 September 2011 - 14:11.

#10771 topical

topical

• 2,094 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:15

Another strong drive although a silly mistake to let Webber past, though I suspect Webber would have got him anyway, and an absolute dog of a car.
I don't think I can bear to watch many more races like this. Unless something freakish happens Alonso has no chance of another win this year and I see little reason for optimism concerning 2012.
Man, I wish he'd just stayed at McLaren...

#10772 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:17

Another strong drive although a silly mistake to let Webber past, though I suspect Webber would have got him anyway, and an absolute dog of a car.
I don't think I can bear to watch many more races like this. Unless something freakish happens Alonso has no chance of another win this year and I see little reason for optimism concerning 2012.

we saw the whole year that they dont have a chance to win anything this year.
but that doesnt mean that there are not some race which can bring us some joy.
especially as long as he can hold one mclaren and sometimes also one rb behind him.

Edited by YellowHelmet, 25 September 2011 - 14:18.

#10773 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,056 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:20

A very understandable one, though - he was just avoiding the Toro Rosso. It was a matter of time anyway, that SC was perfect for Webber.
I don't think Alonso can win again, but I want to know where he can put the F150 on the WDC table.  ;)

#10774 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:21

A very understandable one, though - he was just avoiding the Toro Rosso. It was a matter of time anyway, that SC was perfect for Webber.
I don't think Alonso can win again, but I want to know where he can put the F150 on the WDC table. ;)

i hope you mean just this year  ;)

#10775 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,056 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:22

Great job indeed (by the way, so was Button's - a pity he did not have a couple more laps to fight for 1st). And I keep enjoying those starts, even if the joy is short-lived :)

#10776 topical

topical

• 2,094 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:23

we saw the whole year that they dont have a chance to win anything this year.
but that doesnt mean that there are not some race which can bring us some joy.
especially as long as he can hold one mclaren and sometimes also one rb behind him.

What's painful is that two years when he had a car good enough to win the title (2007 and 2010) he mad too many mistakes. This year he's got a poor car and is driving his best season for the last 5 years. I'd rather he'd driven like this last year and won the title than this year, when he's got nothing to show for it.

#10777 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:24

Alonso is just making miracles at the moment. The RB7 was one second a lap faster than the F150th Italia

Massa had the beating of alonso today

#10778 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,056 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:24

i hope you mean just this year ;)

:lol: Yes, of course! I took that to be what Topical meant too.

Next year, Alonso WDC  ;)

#10779 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,056 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:29

Why do you say that?

Advertisement

#10780 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:29

Good drive. He got the maximum possible result again :up:

#10781 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:30

What's painful is that two years when he had a car good enough to win the title (2007 and 2010) he mad too many mistakes. This year he's got a poor car and is driving his best season for the last 5 years. I'd rather he'd driven like this last year and won the title than this year, when he's got nothing to show for it.

about 2007 we have discussed enough, we know all what happened.

last year he made just few mistaked, which werent title deciding. The lost of last years championship, was due to fia screwing him twice + ferrari making two tactical mistakes.
+ last years ferrari was not a championship car.

topical: be patient, magic will be back.
and as a racing purist in f1, you cant just enjoy wins, coz in f1 there are no equal material. it is just as it is.
i actually enjoyed his race from a racing purists view today of him (same as of vettel, button, and di resta.)

#10782 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:33

How? He was already in front of Massa and Hamilton, when they made their first stop.

Just because Alonso had problems with his tyres and was slower in the first part of the race doesn't mean Massa would beat him afterwards. A race is never decided in the first laps.

Edited by AlanWake, 25 September 2011 - 14:33.

#10783 topical

topical

• 2,094 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:36

about 2007 we have discussed enough, we know all what happened.

last year he made just few mistaked, which werent title deciding. The lost of last years championship, was due to fia screwing him twice + ferrari making two tactical mistakes.
+ last years ferrari was not a championship car.

topical: be patient, magic will be back.
and as a racing purist in f1, you cant just enjoy wins, coz in f1 there are no equal material. it is just as it is.
i actually enjoyed his race from a racing purists view today of him (same as of vettel, button, and di resta.)

I disagree about last year, I think Alonso made too many mistakes (alongside some brilliant drives) but you're right, there's no point going over those two years again.

I guess what really depresses me is that Ferrari is now probably in the same position or worse than at the start of the year. I know they stopped doing major updates but the car is just so bad that I find it hard to see reason for optimism in 2012...Alonso is doing great drives but for so little reward...

#10784 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:39

I disagree about last year, I think Alonso made too many mistakes (alongside some brilliant drives) but you're right, there's no point going over those two years again.

I guess what really depresses me is that Ferrari is now probably in the same position or worse than at the start of the year. I know they stopped doing major updates but the car is just so bad that I find it hard to see reason for optimism in 2012...Alonso is doing great drives but for so little reward...

not from a racing purists view.

about last year: we have to disagree on that. ;)

#10785 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 14:39

How? He was already in front of Massa and Hamilton, when they made their first stop.

Just because Alonso had problems with his tyres and was slower in the first part of the race doesn't mean Massa would beat him afterwards. A race is never decided in the first laps.

Exactly massa seemed to be doing better with the tyres than alonso, he would have taken fernando if alonso didn't pit. Strategy and bad look cost massa

#10786 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:18

The one driving trucks?

Amazing isn't it ? Even a truck driver could do with a Ferrari what Alonso can't.

#10787 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:23

He is! I mean without him they would have looked even worse! He makes Ferrari's disaster year-2011 look 'ok'. While we all now it's just unacceptable for a team like Ferrari to fall like that. I mean look at Massa, he's not a bad driver (I know people like to think he is!) but he's still completely lost with this 'car' and how.

We will never know if Ferrri would be worse without Alonso there.

#10788 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:34

The car was good enough for a 1-2 in the first race of 2010. The great car developer wasn't able to captalize on it.

uhhh Vettel was leading at bahrain until he had a problem and the red bull was the best car last season. Dont try and make out ferrari had the best car because its obvious they didnt.

#10789 mursuka80

mursuka80

• 5,106 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:36

As a Kimi fan i think it was right decision to replace Kimi. His heart wasnt in it anymore after 2007. I can say for certain that Kimi/Alonso pairing would have scored more points last two years.

#10790 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:37

:| This thread is infected from 'trolls'..........

Calm down man, here's a repost for you. Feeling better already ?

Fernando arrived in Singapur!

Posted Image

#10791 ferrarijon123

ferrarijon123

• 851 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:38

As a Kimi fan i think it was right decision to replace Kimi. His heart wasnt in it anymore after 2007. I can say for certain that Kimi/Alonso pairing would have scored more points last two years.

Thank you finally someone talking some sense. :up:

#10792 Lights

Lights

• 9,414 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:39

Bit of an uncharacteristic sleeping moment from Fernando to let Webber through in traffic. Not that Webber wouldn't have overtaken him with a pitstop later anyway.

#10793 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:42

Calm down man, here's a repost for you. Feeling better already ?

haha, that really made me laugh. You hate it don't you?

Bit of an uncharacteristic sleeping moment from Fernando to let Webber through in traffic. Not that Webber wouldn't have overtaken him with a pitstop later anyway.

There you have it!

#10794 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,751 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:43

Last 5 races:

GER 2nd
HUN 3rd
BEL 4th
ITA 3rd
SIN 4th

3rd best car of the grid, technically taking into account Felipes perfomance, he is driving the 5th fastest car of the grid. How can anyone be disappointed with Alonso's results is beyond common sense. Plus having the best start of the season against the best cars, not from the middle of the grid with a superior car.

Please guys, don't reply to this people, they bring nothing to this thread but hate, I'm OK with people criticizing with arguments, but this is not the case.

Edited by kosmos, 25 September 2011 - 15:45.

#10795 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,747 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 15:59

Last 5 races:

GER 2nd
HUN 3rd
BEL 4th
ITA 3rd
SIN 4th

3rd best car of the grid, technically taking into account Felipes perfomance, he is driving the 5th fastest car of the grid. How can anyone be disappointed with Alonso's results is beyond common sense. Plus having the best start of the season against the best cars, not from the middle of the grid with a superior car.

Please guys, don't reply to this people, they bring nothing to this thread but hate, I'm OK with people criticizing with arguments, but this is not the case.

Fernando is absolutely top notch, no doubt about that. A magician he is not however.

Today was not a very good showing - compared to FM a great though.

It is just that FA is given the doubt Kimi was never allowed. Today FA fell asleep ad let 3rd slip past his fingers - if it had been Kimi there would be countless of threads about his unmotivation and lack of seriousness. Double standards methinks.

#10796 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 16:05

Fernando is absolutely top notch, no doubt about that. A magician he is not however.

It is just that FA is given the doubt Kimi was never allowed. Today FA fell asleep ad let 3rd slip past his fingers - if it had been Kimi there would be countless of threads about his unmotivation and lack of seriousness. Double standards methinks.

Do you really think Ferrari was even in contention of 3th? 5th place was MAX, Alonso only got 4th thanks to Hamilton's 'problems' in the race. A driver needs to know when to fight and when to let go.

Oh and about double standards: It's normal when you compare people like Kimi to Alonso. We don't even need to discuss if it's right or wrong.

#10797 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,559 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 16:06

Fernando made another excellent start, but that seemed to be where his race ended. I'm at a loss to describe what is happening with the Ferraris and tyre wear. They used to be supreme in conserving the tyres, but now eat them quicker than the bulls and macs. I guess the other two teams have just improved in that area, while the Scuderia have stayed the same (at least that's the only reason I can come up with). An absolute shame, given how beautifully Fernando has diven all year, and his recent starts. If not for how the F150 uses its tyres, he would be much stronger in the races and not be overtaken like he was today. He is proving his worth, and his driving has been a pleasure to see! Hopefully there is at least one other win in the car for him. Based on his performance behind the wheel, he deserves it! :up:

#10798 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,747 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 16:19

Do you really think Ferrari was even in contention of 3th? 5th place was MAX, Alonso only got 4th thanks to Hamilton's 'problems' in the race. A driver needs to know when to fight and when to let go.

Oh and about double standards: It's normal when you compare people like Kimi to Alonso. We don't even need to discuss if it's right or wrong.

Oy how lovely condecending attitude. People LIKE Kimi.

Edited by Konsta, 25 September 2011 - 16:19.

#10799 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 16:32

Lets be real. The RB7 was at least one full second a lap faster than the F150th Italia. Alonso was going to lose that third spot one way or another.

Advertisement

#10800 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,747 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 16:50

Lets be real. The RB7 was at least one full second a lap faster than the F150th Italia. Alonso was going to lose that third spot one way or another.

Could be. Today however he lost the position due to bad racing. There will be better days.