Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#10801 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 17:06

Could be. Today however he lost the position due to bad racing. There will be better days.

Not really. He lost position due to driving a slower car.

Edited by fabr68, 25 September 2011 - 17:06.

Advertisement

#10802 Clay

Clay

• 72 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 17:09

How can anyone be disappointed with Alonso's results is beyond common sense.

Please guys, don't reply to this people, they bring nothing to this thread but hate, I'm OK with people criticizing with arguments, but this is not the case.

Agreed on both.

Some people is still resented because of the past and eager of trying to make Alonso look bad... His only little mistake today was falling asleep but eventually that was irrelevant as Webber's car was MUCH faster. Enough that by the end of the first half of the race Alonso was still ahead of Webber who have a much faster car. How is that unespectacular?

That some people need to come here to say Kimi would have done better or that Ferrari have the best car or that Alonso drove bad make so evident what certain forumers are up to...

Edited by Clay, 25 September 2011 - 17:46.

#10803 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 17:11

I think the problem of this thread is the invasion of all the Kimi widows that cant get over the fact that he is gone from F1.

#10804 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 17:15

Fernando made another excellent start, but that seemed to be where his race ended. I'm at a loss to describe what is happening with the Ferraris and tyre wear. They used to be supreme in conserving the tyres, but now eat them quicker than the bulls and macs. I guess the other two teams have just improved in that area, while the Scuderia have stayed the same (at least that's the only reason I can come up with). An absolute shame, given how beautifully Fernando has diven all year, and his recent starts. If not for how the F150 uses its tyres, he would be much stronger in the races and not be overtaken like he was today. He is proving his worth, and his driving has been a pleasure to see! Hopefully there is at least one other win in the car for him. Based on his performance behind the wheel, he deserves it! :up:

:up: Thanks for this in all this antidchungel.....

#10805 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,072 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 20:25

Fernando is absolutely top notch, no doubt about that. A magician he is not however.

Today was not a very good showing - compared to FM a great though.

It is just that FA is given the doubt Kimi was never allowed. Today FA fell asleep ad let 3rd slip past his fingers - if it had been Kimi there would be countless of threads about his unmotivation and lack of seriousness. Double standards methinks.

I see. So basically this has nothing to do with Alonso's performance, but with being bitter about how you perceive Raikkonen was treated.

While this is a very interesting point, it may be better placed in the Raikkonen thread. :)

Edited by Fontainebleau, 25 September 2011 - 20:25.

#10806 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,749 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 20:32

I see. So basically this has nothing to do with Alonso's performance, but with being bitter about how you perceive Raikkonen was treated.

While this is a very interesting point, it may be better placed in the Raikkonen thread. :)

No, actually I was not trying to broaden this. My response was to this one poster who defended FA´s performance today even though he did not do very well. I´m sorry that I brought Kimi into this discussion - it is just that to me FA gets much more leeway than some unnamed Scuderia drivers of the past.

#10807 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,072 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 20:44

No, actually I was not trying to broaden this. My response was to this one poster who defended FA´s performance today even though he did not do very well. I´m sorry that I brought Kimi into this discussion - it is just that to me FA gets much more leeway than some unnamed Scuderia drivers of the past.

As a Raikkonen supporter (when he was in F1, I cannot get myself hooked into rallying!), I was not happy with some of the things that were said about him, or about the way he left Ferrari. As an Alonso supporter, I am a bit fed up with certain Raikkonen fans venting their anger on Alonso - and obviously this is not your case. I am very sorry if I was harsh on you. Friends? :wave:

#10808 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 21:27

Today FA fell asleep ad let 3rd slip past his fingers.

I don't think that that is really the case - yes - Alonso did allow MW through - but there was almost no way that Alonso was going to be able to defend against him- you could see it both times that MW steamed up behind him. MW had more speed, more grip and more confidence. FA could've held MW back another couple of laps, but he was never going to finish in front of him.Not with the Red Bull going like it was and the DRS zone there for the taking.

#10809 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:54

Could be. Today however he lost the position due to bad racing. There will be better days.

What? He lost the position because of Alguersuari.

#10810 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,749 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 07:00

As a Raikkonen supporter (when he was in F1, I cannot get myself hooked into rallying!), I was not happy with some of the things that were said about him, or about the way he left Ferrari. As an Alonso supporter, I am a bit fed up with certain Raikkonen fans venting their anger on Alonso - and obviously this is not your case. I am very sorry if I was harsh on you. Friends? :wave:

Absolutely!!
We´re fans of the sport first and foremost, right? Oh how dull this all would be without any emotions or biases towards favorite drivers/teams :)

#10811 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,650 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:03

Alonso is driving a brilliant season. It's just a shame that the Ferrari is so far off the pace. If he can end the season in the top four it will be some acheivement.

#10812 Nivra

Nivra

• 1,065 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 10:47

The only flaw/mistake Ferrari, Santander & Alonso partnership made was paying Kimi Raikkonen not to race in 2010.... instead electing to keep Massa onboard.

Bringing in Alonso to Ferrari is a very good decision no doubt, and Alonso is proving so. Kimi Raikkonen would have left Ferrari after his contract expired in 2010 anyways, maybe moving to Rallying or to RedBull F1 according to the scene. So there was actually never going to be any fireworks such as 2007 as the partnership would have been an interim one.

Ferrari could easily have kept Massa in the recovery bed for the 2010 season, paid his salary & brought him back for 2011 when Kimi left. It would have been way cheaper too. Or, they could have then got Kubica etc a shot at the seat for 2011.

With Kimi on-board, Ferrari could atleast have relied on both drivers pushing each other to the limit, extracting the most of the car in 2010 as well as beating the RBR's on track more often by hunting in pairs. Also, the development of the 2011 car would have been of higher grade as well. All Massa did in 2010 & now in 2011 is absolutely nothing... nothing substantial at all. Which engineer will believe Massa's suggestions when he's 1.7 sec slower in race pace (singapore/overall) to Alonso.

People claiming Massa is better than Kimi can shut it. And people saying Alonso is not doing anything spectacular in this years Ferrari can shut it too. Fernando has done all season with the 150 what Raikkonen did in the second half of 2009 with the F60. That partnership for just one year is what might have revived the passion in fans even more and got the Ferrari tech department a lot of great feedbacks for 2011 car.

Now all Ferrari are left with is one driver taking the WHOLE LOAD on his shoulders, which is not right on Domi & Luca's part to expect miracles from Alonso alone.

Anyways, for Alonso's sake... Ferrari needs to get someone to trouble and push him a bit more. In todays competitive F1 with 5 WDC on the grid..... you can't rely on Rubens 'cough' Massa to make an impact on the grid.

PS- I imagine seeing Hamilton, Button & Vettel actually laugh if they see Massa in front of them. He's a nobody at the moment, hasn't been since 2010. And thats a bad thing for Ferrari as far as morale goes if one of it's driver is not even considered to be a challenge... more like a joke.

#10813 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,826 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 14:38

“When you see that the entire team is doing its utmost and maybe even more, you can only be satisfied,” he said. “Obviously, we hoped for better here, but I have great faith in the work we are doing. We were convinced we could make a step forward after the summer break, but it did not turn out that way, while our rivals progressed even more.”

“That does not mean we cannot be in the fight in the next few races: it will be tough, but I can feel the team has a great wish to redeem itself and to prove its worth. It is this type of attitude which, last spring, convinced me to extend my contract to the end of 2016. If I did not believe in the quality and determination of the people and the potential in terms of the structure and resources, then I would not have made that decision. Now we must knuckle down after a difficult weekend and prepare as well as possible for the race in Suzuka, one of the greatest tracks on the whole championship calendar,”

Nice words, even if some people will mark them as PR.

#10814 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 19:36

Post race interview

NICE

Edited by puxanando, 26 September 2011 - 19:52.

#10815 Showty

Showty

• 1,261 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 20:08

The only flaw/mistake Ferrari, Santander & Alonso partnership made was paying Kimi Raikkonen not to race in 2010.... instead electing to keep Massa onboard.

Bringing in Alonso to Ferrari is a very good decision no doubt, and Alonso is proving so. Kimi Raikkonen would have left Ferrari after his contract expired in 2010 anyways, maybe moving to Rallying or to RedBull F1 according to the scene. So there was actually never going to be any fireworks such as 2007 as the partnership would have been an interim one.

Ferrari could easily have kept Massa in the recovery bed for the 2010 season, paid his salary & brought him back for 2011 when Kimi left. It would have been way cheaper too. Or, they could have then got Kubica etc a shot at the seat for 2011.

With Kimi on-board, Ferrari could atleast have relied on both drivers pushing each other to the limit, extracting the most of the car in 2010 as well as beating the RBR's on track more often by hunting in pairs. Also, the development of the 2011 car would have been of higher grade as well. All Massa did in 2010 & now in 2011 is absolutely nothing... nothing substantial at all. Which engineer will believe Massa's suggestions when he's 1.7 sec slower in race pace (singapore/overall) to Alonso.

People claiming Massa is better than Kimi can shut it. And people saying Alonso is not doing anything spectacular in this years Ferrari can shut it too. Fernando has done all season with the 150 what Raikkonen did in the second half of 2009 with the F60. That partnership for just one year is what might have revived the passion in fans even more and got the Ferrari tech department a lot of great feedbacks for 2011 car.

Now all Ferrari are left with is one driver taking the WHOLE LOAD on his shoulders, which is not right on Domi & Luca's part to expect miracles from Alonso alone.

Anyways, for Alonso's sake... Ferrari needs to get someone to trouble and push him a bit more. In todays competitive F1 with 5 WDC on the grid..... you can't rely on Rubens 'cough' Massa to make an impact on the grid.

PS- I imagine seeing Hamilton, Button & Vettel actually laugh if they see Massa in front of them. He's a nobody at the moment, hasn't been since 2010. And thats a bad thing for Ferrari as far as morale goes if one of it's driver is not even considered to be a challenge... more like a joke.

While u might be a bit hard on Massa i have to say i agree with the general idea regarding him.

Massa is just out of contention, we all could expect Alonso beating him, but this is being too much, he has been clearly underperforming, Ferrari needs a driver in there not only to push Fernando, which i think he really doesn´t need it,he will always give the maximum and extract 105% out of the car, but fighting the RB´s and the McLaren´s and truly helping to improve the car.

When i read about the rumors with Button my first thought was too good to be true, nice character, fanfastic driver, experienced, perfect fit, he can really be that guy fighting not only Alonso but also Hamilton and Vettel.

But i think Ferrari will keep Massa for 2012, so at this point it really lies down on Ferrari producing a good car capable of W´s since the beginning of the season, they don´t even need the best car, Alonso proved he can make it without the best car.

If the Ferrari 2012 follows the same path than this year´s Ferrari we will have exactly the same type of season, Alonso trying to produce miracles and Massa lost in mediocrity.

#10816 BARnone

BARnone

• 2,056 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 22:52

I don't think that that is really the case - yes - Alonso did allow MW through - but there was almost no way that Alonso was going to be able to defend against him- you could see it both times that MW steamed up behind him. MW had more speed, more grip and more confidence. FA could've held MW back another couple of laps, but he was never going to finish in front of him.Not with the Red Bull going like it was and the DRS zone there for the taking.

Completely agree - I don't think Ferrari wanted to compromise 4th.

BARnone.

#10817 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,826 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 07:38

TODAY talks to Alonso and Massa

#10818 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 20:00

hey....hey....... :cat:

#10819 Gyan

Gyan

• 839 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:24

hey....hey....... :cat:

Can't give that to him. Got my 6 tenths in there.

Advertisement

#10820 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,826 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:41

For all those who criticized Alonso for letting Webber overtake him, aka napping.

Webber:

“The second time looked more spectacular, into the Turn 10 chicane, which is not normally a passing place. I heard a few people saying I caught Fernando napping but, to be fair, he was blocked by the Toro Rosso in front of us.

“I didn't know who it was at the time - I have since found out it was Jaime Alguersuari - but the Toro Rossos are traditionally the later cars to give way.
All the front-running guys have been similarly affected. In this case, I benefitted and that's why I could pounce at Turn 10; Jaime snookered Fernando a little bit and I was able to checkmate him.”

From bbc blog.

#10821 joshb

joshb

• 3,286 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 11:49

Webber is right, he was mulling over whether to lunge past Alguersuari and by the time he'd made up his mine Webber was already alongside him. Then he was boxed in a corner really. Good move by Webber, very opportunistic but to say Alonso was napping was wide of the mark. He could have fought it but it was high risk turning in there and trying to go side by side through a 1 car wide corner with those kerbs.

#10822 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 849 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 14:19

I just had very bright idea on what can happen (in a different universe): give Massa the boot, invite Kimi once again, and have him race next to Alonso. Would you rather see Kimi + Alonso or Massa with Fernando?
(I know it's unlikely to happen, but nothing is impossible)

Edited by kvarbanov, 29 September 2011 - 14:19.

#10823 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 14:43

I just had very bright idea on what can happen (in a different universe): give Massa the boot, invite Kimi once again, and have him race next to Alonso. Would you rather see Kimi + Alonso or Massa with Fernando?
(I know it's unlikely to happen, but nothing is impossible)

Stars Wars... The New Generation! :lol:

#10824 ArtShelley

ArtShelley

• 3,560 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 15:13

For all those who criticized Alonso for letting Webber overtake him, aka napping.

Webber:

From bbc blog.

Well said by Mark, but his man love for Alonso is getting somewhat worrying. :p

#10825 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 15:19

Well said by Mark, but his man love for Alonso is getting somewhat worrying. :p

:rotfl:

Who knows? Perhaps he is thinking about a future in red...  ;)

#10826 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 15:21

:rotfl:

Who knows? Perhaps he is thinking about a future in red...  ;)

:kiss: He is WELCOME!

#10827 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 15:25

:kiss: He is WELCOME!

I'm sure he is! It would not be a bad pair! It looks like they get along quite well (or perhaps too well :lol: ) so let's see if Botín reads this forum... :smoking:

#10828 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,948 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 16:57

I'm sure he is! It would not be a bad pair! It looks like they get along quite well (or perhaps too well :lol: ) so let's see if Botín reads this forum... :smoking:

Off topic, but can you give the Botin innuendos a rest... Your guy got a golden handshake and a championship out of Ferrari. Time to move on.

Edited by Ferrari2183, 29 September 2011 - 16:58.

#10829 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 19:49

Off topic, but can you give the Botin innuendos a rest... Your guy got a golden handshake and a championship out of Ferrari. Time to move on.

+1

Botin (i.e. Santander) is a minor Ferrari sponsor. To imply that he runs Ferrari is quite ridiculous.

#10830 AlainProstX

AlainProstX

• 306 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 19:56

+1

Botin (i.e. Santander) is a minor Ferrari sponsor. To imply that he runs Ferrari is quite ridiculous.

Its not only ridiculous, its just hard trolling by fans of a certain driver.

Luca would never ever give a sponsor that much power.

#10831 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 20:01

Luca would never ever give a sponsor that much power.

:drunk: But the "ANTIS" make use of him to explain "why" the Spaniard is IN Ferrari; liking lot more to see there his Kimi or any other driver.......
Emilio has to pay the #BILL because it's an easy 'thought'!

#10832 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,926 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 20:50

I was wondering why Button has been beating Hamilton this year.
now, I see Santander see jenson as more marketable and Alonso wants revenge for 2007, so they want to show ham up.

very crafty by Botin to upload 'CRASH Virus' into Hamiltons car and mclaren spec robot brain every couple races to make it look like he has lost it.

;)

Edited by SCUDmissile, 29 September 2011 - 21:29.

#10833 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 29 September 2011 - 21:26

I was wondering why Button has been beating Hamilton this year.
now, I see Santander see jenson as more marketable and Alonso wants revenge for 2007, so they wan to show ham up.

very crafty by Botin to upload 'CRASH Virus' into Hamiltons car and mclaren spec robot brain every couple races to make it look pike he has lost it.

;)

I knew it, I knew it! :mad:

#10834 Oho

Oho

• 7,589 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:33

And just to remind you, Ferrari were going backwards while he who shall not be named was there.

Matter of opinion aint it, one drivers title, two constructors after a two year dry spell.

#10835 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 13:03

And we could say, for example, that Massa is not the same after the crash...

Or we could say, for example, that Massa is not allowed to challenge Alonso... Last year in Hockenheim, everybody heard it...

Or we could say...

The fact is: My guy is the last Ferrari World Champion... For now, of course...

And Alonso is a double world champion..For now,of course..

#10836 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:01

From the horse's mouth. Or shall I say Bull's mouth:

"The second time looked more spectacular, into the turn 10 chicane, which is not normally a passing place. I heard a few people saying I caught Fernando napping but, to be fair, he was blocked by the Toro Rosso in front of us.

"I didn't know who it was at the time - I have since found out it was Jaime Alguersuari - but the Toro Rossos are traditionally the later cars to give way.

"All the front-running guys have been similarly affected. In this case, I benefited and that's why I could pounce in turn 10. Jaime snookered Fernando a little bit and I was able to checkmate him.

"It was a rewarding manoevure because I was on similar-age tyres to Fernando, which means, had it not been for Alguersuari, I would probably have had to take a few more laps to get past him, waiting for his tyres to go off."

http://www.planetf1....-beating-Alonso

Edited by fabr68, 01 October 2011 - 02:02.

#10837 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:02

From the horse's mouth. Or shall I say Bull's mouth:

http://www.planetf1....-beating-Alonso

:up:

I have been hard with Mark at times (due to his race performances compared to Sebastian), especially this year, but I have to admit that one of the things that I like from him is that he is a realistic and honest person and tells it like it is, unlike some of his fellow drivers.

#10838 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,709 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 21:57

Posts deleted.

This thread is not about Kimi Raikkonen. If discussion about Kimi starts up again, please remember to report the posts and to not attack the poster.

But a reminder that this is not a fan thread and all opinions - both positive and negative - about a driver may be aired here. If you want a fan thread I suggest you find a different forum. There is no merit in 'not going to x drivers thread' or accusing others of 'coming into this thread' because this thread does not BELONG to any individual or group. Any attempt to try and prevent individuals or groups from posting here will not be tolerated.

The rules of the forum are linked to in my signature below if you have forgotten them from when you agreed to abide by them.

#10839 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 16:34

:clap: Fernando Alonso. May he win many, many more championships. :clap:

Advertisement

#10840 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,826 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:24

New blog entry.

http://www.ferrari.c...-to-suzuka.aspx

I'm glad that he is optimistic, but I can't see Fernando winning one more race this year without any special incident, even the podium could be hard to get if McLaren keep performing as good as lately.

Edited by kosmos, 05 October 2011 - 12:25.

#10841 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,753 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 12:47

New blog entry.

http://www.ferrari.c...-to-suzuka.aspx

I'm glad that he is optimistic, but I can't see Fernando winning one more race this year without any special incident, even the podium could be hard to get if McLaren keep performing as good as lately.

I agree. With Webber and McLaren running better I see it being a tough task to get on the podium.

However Fernando will give it his all and that's all we can ask for.

#10842 Clay

Clay

• 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 16:02

its nic3 alonso still keep his motivation for the 2nd place. that surely will give fun to f1 fans. hope he gives us nice expectacle in jpn

Edited by Clay, 05 October 2011 - 17:01.

#10843 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 20:17

Given the decline in Phillip Morris's visual presence and the fact that teams have been desperately trying to sign up sponsors on long-term deals for some years given the problems economies have had, and that they appeared when Alonso signed up, it's not as big a stretch as you want to make out. Calling them a minor sponsor is even funnier.

#10844 Clay

Clay

• 72 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 20:31

Given the decline in Phillip Morris's visual presence and the fact that teams have been desperately trying to sign up sponsors on long-term deals for some years given the problems economies have had, and that they appeared when Alonso signed up, it's not as big a stretch as you want to make out. Calling them a minor sponsor is even funnier.

still his point is standing as santander is not running ferrari. imo its ridiculous how certain people from certain driver tend to be constantly implying so (not saying u arent free to do so tho lol) .

Edited by Clay, 05 October 2011 - 20:34.

#10845 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,948 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 22:25

As far as I know Philip Morris still owns all the advertising space on the Ferrari cars. Their current deal, originally penned in 2005 with sponsorship reported to have been $1 billion over a ten tear period, was recently extended to 2015. Furthermore, I don't see why Marlboro would be worried about a lack of visual presence as the two brands are synonymous with each other and have been since the early 80's. The Santander sponsorship is reported to be worth $40 - 50 Million per annum and in that sense it is only half of what Ferrari receives from Philip Morris but it is definitely not a minor sponsor.

Also, in some areas Marlboro are allowed to advertise Ferrari cars on their packaging and billboards... I really don't think the tobacco industry has suffered all that much in these economic conditions.

#10846 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 22:47

still his point is standing as santander is not running ferrari. imo its ridiculous how certain people from certain driver tend to be constantly implying so (not saying u arent free to do so tho lol) .

Sponsors run teams and they always have done from the very first time they entered the sport when Jim Clark was killed in a Formula 2 race and he was there because Chapman had promised the sponsor Gold Leaf that he would be there. That's the way it is. It's ridiculous that certain people don't seem to be able to accept the sport plainly for what it is - a business. Anything you believe to be implied is entirely up to you.

#10847 cilurnum

cilurnum

• 1,686 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 23:03

As far as I know Philip Morris still owns all the advertising space on the Ferrari cars. Their current deal, originally penned in 2005 with sponsorship reported to have been $1 billion over a ten tear period, was recently extended to 2015.

The owning of space on the car is a curious arrangement that no one seems to have quite worked out, but the current Philip Morris deal was due to run out this year at the end of 2011 which they then renewed to 2015. The 2005 extension was to the end of this year it should be pointed out. Ferrari around the time of Alonso's arrival believed that they would need a new title sponsor and were obviously very keen to tie the prospective Santander down as soon as possible, especially given the financial conditions at the time and that still exist. That Morris was wanting a new deal only emerged in 2010 and they then managed to bring Santander into the portfolio without giving up title sponsorship, so the timing is obviously very clear. Had Morris pulled out then that title sponsorship would have passed to Santander and they would have obviously been paying more.

Business is business.

#10848 Clay

Clay

• 72 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:16

Sponsors run teams and they always have done from the very first time they entered the sport when Jim Clark was killed in a Formula 2 race and he was there because Chapman had promised the sponsor Gold Leaf that he would be there. That's the way it is. It's ridiculous that certain people don't seem to be able to accept the sport plainly for what it is - a business. Anything you believe to be implied is entirely up to you.

We all know F1 is a bussiness, but talking about Santander or Botin like if they could run the team in such as capricious manner or like if Botin owned the team (wich is what it was being discussed) and decide who can be FA's team mate or not is ridiculous. But of course you guys can keep the game on with the santander thing ... We know why some people want to believe that the ferrari drivers preference is all down to Santander.

Said this I wont comment more about the issue as i think it is not needed nor I want to be dragged to irrelevant issues, as the ones ultimately choosing FA 's team mate will be ferrari. , :wave:
Just imagine if ferrari would have accepted JA instead of FA to be their no1 driver and to replace kimi. I highly doubt Ferrari would have accepted that even if santander wanted it. So Lets be serious and dont bring Botin like that...

Edited by Clay, 06 October 2011 - 01:55.

#10849 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 01:47

The owning of space on the car is a curious arrangement that no one seems to have quite worked out, but the current Philip Morris deal was due to run out this year at the end of 2011 which they then renewed to 2015. The 2005 extension was to the end of this year it should be pointed out. Ferrari around the time of Alonso's arrival believed that they would need a new title sponsor and were obviously very keen to tie the prospective Santander down as soon as possible, especially given the financial conditions at the time and that still exist. That Morris was wanting a new deal only emerged in 2010 and they then managed to bring Santander into the portfolio without giving up title sponsorship, so the timing is obviously very clear. Had Morris pulled out then that title sponsorship would have passed to Santander and they would have obviously been paying more.

Business is business.

You are right, business is business. That is why it is so ridiculous to imply that a sponsor that contributes 10% of the budget is somehow running the company.

#10850 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,948 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 08:18

Business is business.

Philip Morris International will not be leaving Ferrari in the foreseeable future. As I said, the brands are synonymous with each other and to assume that Philip Morris as the title sponsor will allow Santander to call the shots is laughable. Had they pulled out you would have had a leg to stand on but a thin one at that...

Anyway, this is off topic.