Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#1051 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:19

Slightly OT but (like Hamilton) Alonso doesn't ever seem to mention Vettel when asked about his great rivals.

Which is why in his interview with Bernie Ecclestone he said that he would not have anything against driving in the same team with Vettel.
Vettel is still a boy, Kubica, Hammy, Alonso, Button, these are men...

Advertisement

#1052 Redstorm

Redstorm

• 343 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 08:41

Brilliant, Vortex, thanks for the hard work!
:clap:

Bravissimo! That was excellent!

#1053 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 13:46

Slightly OT but (like Hamilton) Alonso doesn't ever seem to mention Vettel when asked about his great rivals.

What? He has been saying since Bahrain that his main rivals are Vettel and Hamilton, even when they were behind him or their team mates. :well:

#1054 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 14:18

What? He has been saying since Bahrain that his main rivals are Vettel and Hamilton, even when they were behind him or their team mates. :well:

Can't say I remember any mentions of Vettel but happy to be corrected. Maybe it was 'Vettel in a dominant car'. And Fernando now hopes the RB dominance is coming to and end.

#1055 yr

yr

• 5,946 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 15:41

http://www.marca.com...ludes-eres.html

they used very colloquial language thoughout the interview, so some parts i will leave almost literal because the exact meaning has no equivalent exact expression. i hope its enough to understand :D

Great interview, Alonso seems to be very reasonable guy. :up:

#1056 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 18:31

Kubica has not done anything to suggest he is on the same level as Alonso. Look at his performance against Heidfeld. I don't believe a driver suddenly turns into a monster overnight. I will say he has been consistent though.

Don't know what your definition of "doing anything to suggest he is on same level as Alonso", but Kubica has outperformed Alonso every year except his rookie championship (2007) where he only finished 3rd behind in Sauber. And now of course he is doing much better than Alonso was at Renault. Heidfeld too I think is exceptional driver and to be honest (though I realize it's idea you would hate and react to very badly) wouldn't be surprised if he would be doing just as well as Alonso (4th in championship) if was driving Ferrari F10.

#1057 Flamini

Flamini

• 799 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 18:44

Kubica has outperformed Alonso every year except his rookie championship (2007) where he only finished 3rd behind in Sauber. And now of course he is doing much better than Alonso was at Renault.

Different years, different cars. How you can compare that?

#1058 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,463 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 18:51

I like Kubica a great deal. I genuinely believe he is hungry and dedicated enough to challenge for world championships but he needs a top seat to do that. But really, 2ms, that statement is quite a stretch. Not saying it's wrong, but nothing in what you have presented makes it right either, does it?

#1059 RossoCorsa

RossoCorsa

• 61 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 21:47

Different years, different cars. How you can compare that?

The point of 2ms's posts is just to "prove" how much better Räikkönen was than Alonso and to vent his frustration over Ferrari replacing the former with the latter. It's his legitimate right but his posts shouldn't be taken seriously and the less time and effort is wasted on them, the better.

Advertisement

#1060 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 22:02

I like Kubica a great deal. I genuinely believe he is hungry and dedicated enough to challenge for world championships but he needs a top seat to do that. But really, 2ms, that statement is quite a stretch. Not saying it's wrong, but nothing in what you have presented makes it right either, does it?

Hmm. That it's possible he could be 4th if was driving a Ferrari rather than Renault? I mean, he has 73 points (1 point out of 6th) to Alonso's 94. The Ferrari has generally been at least the second best car all season (though the McL now looks like may have now caught up or passed it) whereas the Renault is considered well back...

It was well back when Alonso was driving it too of course. No question about that. And in fact I do think that, based on the fact Alonso drove well in 05,06, and 07, there's evidence that he would be able to do better than the 9th he got last year if was driving this year's Renault (i.e., I think the new Renault probably is better car than last year's since I think Alonso is better than a 9th place driver, basically).

However, there comes a point where you have to say "Look, Alonso drove wonderfully those years ago but now his successor is doing better than he was at Renault, so far he has not been able to get the kind of results his predecessor's did when he got to Ferrari, and Ferrari is doing the worst in both WCC and WDC that they have any year in any recent history (except last where they only had one driver of course)." I think there's a place for pragmatism in comparing f1 drivers. To me this involves recognizing there's a point where past results are no longer sufficient basis for assumption that other drivers who are doing extremely well (particularly in inferior equipment) might not be just as good.

In other words, I think there's a point where, if a driver has once gotten great results but then doesn't for a while, the onus is on him to show that he's better than the newer drivers who are getting better and better results all the time. Particularly in situations like Kubica where Kubica jumps right into Alonso's seat and takes the team to new level. Sure, it could just be Renault made miraculous improvements and Alonso has had terrible luck for years etc. However, for me the onus is on him to show that these things are the case. To me he hasn't whereas drivers like Kubica and Rosberg have been doing nothing but exceeding expectations with tremendous consistency. For me the question is more "what exactly are the reasons we think Alonso is better than some of these other drivers?"

#1061 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,174 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 22:38

Hmm. That it's possible he could be 4th if was driving a Ferrari rather than Renault? I mean, he has 73 points (1 point out of 6th) to Alonso's 94. The Ferrari has generally been at least the second best car all season (though the McL now looks like may have now caught up or passed it) whereas the Renault is considered well back...

It was well back when Alonso was driving it too of course. No question about that. And in fact I do think that, based on the fact Alonso drove well in 05,06, and 07, there's evidence that he would be able to do better than the 9th he got last year if was driving this year's Renault (i.e., I think the new Renault probably is better car than last year's since I think Alonso is better than a 9th place driver, basically).

However, there comes a point where you have to say "Look, Alonso drove wonderfully those years ago but now his successor is doing better than he was at Renault, so far he has not been able to get the kind of results his predecessor's did when he got to Ferrari, and Ferrari is doing the worst in both WCC and WDC that they have any year in any recent history (except last where they only had one driver of course)." I think there's a place for pragmatism in comparing f1 drivers. To me this involves recognizing there's a point where past results are no longer sufficient basis for assumption that other drivers who are doing extremely well (particularly in inferior equipment) might not be just as good.

In other words, I think there's a point where, if a driver has once gotten great results but then doesn't for a while, the onus is on him to show that he's better than the newer drivers who are getting better and better results all the time. Particularly in situations like Kubica where Kubica jumps right into Alonso's seat and takes the team to new level. Sure, it could just be Renault made miraculous improvements and Alonso has had terrible luck for years etc. However, for me the onus is on him to show that these things are the case. To me he hasn't whereas drivers like Kubica and Rosberg have been doing nothing but exceeding expectations with tremendous consistency. For me the question is more "what exactly are the reasons we think Alonso is better than some of these other drivers?"

Because he's had enormous races.

Btw this years Reno is MUCH better than 2008 and 2009, look at the very rookie Petrov and how well he is doing compared to what Alonso rookie team mates where able to do. Or do you have any reason to suggest that Petrov is better than Nelson (2nd to Hamilton in Gp2) or Grosjean (ok in GP2, totally devastated by his season in Reno).

#1062 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 22:57

Best post I've read in a while. :up:

There's no rational explanation, but I think Kubica & Alonso are the best drivers out there, followed by Hamilton, and Vettel in that particular order.

Edited by Massacrator, 24 June 2010 - 23:01.

#1063 Magic01

Magic01

• 43 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 03:51

Don't know what your definition of "doing anything to suggest he is on same level as Alonso", but Kubica has outperformed Alonso every year except his rookie championship (2007) where he only finished 3rd behind in Sauber. And now of course he is doing much better than Alonso was at Renault. Heidfeld too I think is exceptional driver and to be honest (though I realize it's idea you would hate and react to very badly) wouldn't be surprised if he would be doing just as well as Alonso (4th in championship) if was driving Ferrari F10.

Kubica has probably been better than Alonso this year because Alonso has made a lot of uncharacteristic mistakes. But a driver shouldn't be judged on a couple of races. And even in these races his class has still been clear as he has been able to make a number of great recoveries.

Kubica was not really any better than Heidfeld at BMW. If he was faster it was not by much and Heidfeld often had the upper hand on him. Heidfeld is a good driver but his career suggests he is nothing exceptional. He was not really any quicker than rookie Raikkonen at Sauber. And whilst he got the better results against Webber, atleast in qualifying I think it was Webber who was the quicker of the two. I really doubt after 3 years that Alonso or Hamilton would not have comfortably asserted themselves over him. At the moment Kubica can look good with the low expectations around the Renault car, and a rookie team-mate. And even in Turkey we seen that Petrov was close to Kubica and was even quicker in Q1 and Q2.

Kubica has never shown to have exceptional speed, unlike Alonso. And Alonso actually started to get great results when he returned to Renault, powering them to 4th place in the championship and even grabbed a win on merit and they were heading in a very good direction that year. They went from being way off to within striking distance of Ferrari and Mclaren, but they got the new regulations all wrong.

#1064 Magic01

Magic01

• 43 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:18

A driver is limited by the car. He hasn't got the results because he hasn't had the car. This year if Ferrari can develop the car (which there is a question mark over) he should have that, and if he is to live up to his reputation he has to deliver. But that is how F1 is, the past is forgotten quickly, and you sort of always have to prove yourself.

A driver can only do so much though. Its not Alonso's fault that the development hasn't been strong or that Ferrari arn't the team they were in Schumacher's time there. Its not right to assume that because Kubica is doing better in the 2010 Renault than Alonso was in the 2009 Renault that means he is as good as Alonso. In the same car I doubt Kubica would be able to keep up with Alonso consistently.

#1065 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,486 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 04:56

Excellent interview :up: Thanks much for that. :)

#1066 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:01

A driver is limited by the car. He hasn't got the results because he hasn't had the car. This year if Ferrari can develop the car (which there is a question mark over) he should have that, and if he is to live up to his reputation he has to deliver. But that is how F1 is, the past is forgotten quickly, and you sort of always have to prove yourself.

A driver can only do so much though. Its not Alonso's fault that the development hasn't been strong or that Ferrari arn't the team they were in Schumacher's time there. Its not right to assume that because Kubica is doing better in the 2010 Renault than Alonso was in the 2009 Renault that means he is as good as Alonso. In the same car I doubt Kubica would be able to keep up with Alonso consistently.

First of all, let me say that Alonso is imho definitely better than Kubica.
Second of all, if he doesn't win WDC this season he only has himself to blame (unless Ferrari falls back in development of course) - without all errors he himself made so far he should have been in lead by some 20-30 points in WDC so far, so he can hardly blame Ferrari. This doesn't mean he is worse driver than Kubica, but this season - yes, he is.

P.S. Don't bring me Massa 2010. comparison - he can only do with narrow setup window, and this season this window is obviously missed by a lot for him. Basically, he has similar problems Kovalainen had in McLaren or Button in 2009. in mid-season.

#1067 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,026 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:18

2010: Certain Fans high on Kubica hype

Posted Image

No offence but please, lets take it easy. Ofcourse he is very good. Oh, im gettin drunk already.

Edited by vivian, 25 June 2010 - 06:28.

#1068 bogi

bogi

• 3,029 posts

Posted 25 June 2010 - 06:58

Vettel is still a boy, Kubica, Hammy, Alonso, Button, these are men...

Vettel saw more cocaine and naked hoes than you and me will see it for three lifespans.

#1069 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 13:55

Bad luck for Alonso today.

#1070 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 14:04

No luck.

#1071 RossoCorsa

RossoCorsa

• 61 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 14:06

It was not bad luck.
It was sheer incompetence, even idiocy of the race direction. How hard was it to send the safety car in front of the right car?

#1072 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,667 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 14:09

Fernando is not going to give up, he will be stronger in the next race, let's hope the car works too. Shame goes for Massa.

#1073 Lewis

Lewis

• 672 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 14:09

P9 in a Ferrari on homeground is not good, 4 sure he will get some FIA help to get some more points though.

#1074 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 14:10

Fernando was racing 3rd,
doing best lap at that time,
and closing his gap on Lewis 2nd,
preparing for an attack during the pit stops.
then the incident happened. its worth being studied.
was the result fair?
was the race manipulated?

for me, this championship is ever more adulterated.
lack of blue flags in Canada was bad,
but this is too much.

#1075 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:10

The WDC is not over yet, there are still 10 races to go and 250 points to grab. Nothing is impossible :up:

Edited by AlanWake, 27 June 2010 - 15:11.

#1076 Kovalonso

Kovalonso

• 540 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:13

The yellow flag ruined a great race, indeed.
The Ferraris were in pursuit mode trailling Lewis and Vettel.
However Alonso couldn't overtake Buemi, could he possibly pip Lewis ?

#1077 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:20

The yellow flag ruined a great race, indeed.
The Ferraris were in pursuit mode trailling Lewis and Vettel.

the different tyre conditions between those 2 moments hint that launching an attack was possible.
succesful or not, we'll never know

Kova was the best of the race.
that and Webber not being injured in the accident

#1078 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,278 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:21

Got to love FA's passion. If it was only desire that made you win, he would win everytime.

#1079 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:24

It's amazing the level of hatred towards Alonso here.

If people think Alonso may win, they state his car is the fastest one in the grid even before tasting the track.
If he looses due bad luck or problems in his car (tyres, gearbox, etc) it is that he got owned.

:drunk:

Advertisement

#1080 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:25

Got to love FA's passion. If it was only desire that made you win, he would win everytime.

i disagree. it would be Lewis winning every time.

sportmanship and respect are a limiting factor.

-passion-

#1081 DiStefano

DiStefano

• 485 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:26

He would have jumped him at the pitstop, Ham changed his front wing.

#1082 MikeTekRacing

MikeTekRacing

• 5,740 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:30

He has guts if fe dares to talk about race mamipulation after singapore 08

#1083 meat

meat

• 691 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:30

It's amazing the level of hatred towards Alonso here.

If people think Alonso may win, they state his car is the fastest one in the grid even before tasting the track.
If he looses due bad luck or problems in his car (tyres, gearbox, etc) it is that he got owned.

:drunk:

Come on ,you have to admit that it was pretty ridiculous how he was crying in the radio (it´s not fair)
Maybe he should concentrate more on to his own driving and defending his position and less about complaining others :down:
After all Valencia supposed to be a circuit imposible to overtake.

Edited by meat, 27 June 2010 - 15:34.

#1084 peroa

peroa

• 8,897 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:31

If he would put his passion into driving rather than into chatting with Stella then maybe he would have overtaken somebody today.

#1085 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:31

Fernando was racing 3rd,
doing best lap at that time,
and closing his gap on Lewis 2nd,
preparing for an attack during the pit stops.
then the incident happened. its worth being studied.
was the result fair?
was the race manipulated?

for me, this championship is ever more adulterated.
lack of blue flags in Canada was bad,
but this is too much.

Result is not fair for Alonso, just like in every race you have a driver that feels his result wasn't fair. Was MS Monaco penalty fair? Was race manipulated? How about Lewis Hamilton Spa 2008.? How about Singapore 2008.?

#1086 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:43

first interview to Fernando after the race.
Nira Juanco for LaSexta, translated only the answers:

"well.. we were racing fine on third position, having a good start, chasing Hamilton, then the safety car was deployed that i think it wasn't very good for us.
and then Hamilton overtook the safety car, something i had never seen before, overtook with yellow flags the medical car. We were racing 1 meter away from each other, but one finished the race 2nd and the other 9th"

"it was a realistic goal to aim for a 2nd position finish, but then with that safety car maybe it would have been 9th position with Hamilton 8th but. Here when you race normally and respect yellow flags you finish 9th and the one not respecting finishes 2nd"

"it must have been very difficult to see the replay of an overtake to the medical car so it took them many laps to figure it out. but well, it's what we have, unfortunately the situation is all against us, it seems they allow everything and its a shame. not for us, the races are like this, but for all the public that has come here those 60,000 or 70,000 spectators that have come here, they came to see a manipulated race"

"its a shame what the people have seen from the stands today, not a fully real race. and to try and improve for the next race"

:well:

spanish audio youtube video:

#1087 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,127 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:45

If he would put his passion into driving rather than into chatting with Stella then maybe he would have overtaken somebody today.

Come on, we saw that Button was ultimately over 1sec per lap faster than Kobayashi, given the pace he started doing once Koba pitted. And Button was never in with a sniff of overtaking him.

I suspect Kubica was probably similarly faster than Barrichello too.

At a circuit such as Valencia, where it is clearly very dusty off-line, there is no overtaking without a significant grip advantage into the braking zones (as Kobayashi had once on the super-softs in the last couple of laps), or an error from the driver in front. Hence, once Alonso was behind Buemi, that was basically it.

#1088 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:45

And notice Alonso said he "aimed" for 2nd. It is not that we are stating that he would have achieved that. But it was fair to aim for 2nd.

But it was very unlucky for Alonso due the SC and then Hamilton cheating.

Where are the "oh, bad luck brigade" now? Of course they disappeared as the one who was damaged was Alonso.

#1089 Campeador

Campeador

• 296 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 15:50

He has guts if fe dares to talk about race mamipulation after singapore 08

Why? He did his job, he didn't know what was going on with Nelsinho.

#1090 meat

meat

• 691 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:07

Yeah right :drunk:

#1091 NeilMick

NeilMick

• 530 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:08

Yeah right :drunk:

Well thats conclusive then...

#1092 Kovalonso

Kovalonso

• 540 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:16

So pls explain Alonso's early it stop in that race.

#1093 DanardiF1

DanardiF1

• 6,557 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:18

Well thats conclusive then...

That's not the point though, the point is that he was a direct beneficiary of that action, and to then suggest that he has been slighted by something that he feels is 'manipulation' is rather crass and silly to say. He has been unlucky with the SC positioning, and then done nothing special the rest of the race, in a race where some overtaking was possible...

#1094 Onyemaechi

Onyemaechi

• 312 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:21

This only shows that Alonso is a retarded diotI. Complaining on radio during the race. Instead of getting along with staying ahead of Kobayashi and Seb.Buemi! :down: :drunk: :well: :stoned: :o

#1095 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:22

This only shows that Alonso is a retarded diotI. Complaining on radio during the race. Instead of getting along with staying ahead of Kobayashi and Seb.Buemi! :down: :drunk: :well: :stoned: :o

Hamilton fans... :rolleyes:

#1096 Campeador

Campeador

• 296 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:24

So pls explain Alonso's early it stop in that race.

He didn't decide his strategy alone, they had to listen what engineers have seen on the computers. He had nothing to lose because he finished 15 on Saturday and he had to do something completely different to the rest of the teams.

He stopped early in Monaco 2010, expecting to get some help with a SC or some kind of race incident. Do you think he should be suspicious about Massa crashing against the wall? Explain why he had to pit early in Monaco 2010? Explain another urban track like Singapore is different?

#1097 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,127 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:24

That's not the point though, the point is that he was a direct beneficiary of that action, and to then suggest that he has been slighted by something that he feels is 'manipulation' is rather crass and silly to say. He has been unlucky with the SC positioning, and then done nothing special the rest of the race, in a race where some overtaking was possible...

Other than Kobayashi overtaking Alonso and Buemi with a clearly significant grip advantage (though this is not to take anything away from Koba's fine opportunism in doing so), I saw precisely no overtaking whatsoever at the sharp end in that race.

#1098 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:26

It's his own fault he made yet another mistake on not getting in a clean lap in quali. If he did that he wouldn't be in the mess.

His complaining of Hamilton over the radio while not concentrating on his own race was idiotic. I thought he learned from 2007 but he hasn't. It's like Hamilton too easily gets inside his head mentally and he cannot cope.

Again today he lost his cool calling for others to get penalties, yet he got overtaken by himself.

He lost his focus.

Maybe he should study some Yoga or Tai Chi.

Edited by ZooL, 27 June 2010 - 16:28.

#1099 Tstag

Tstag

• 320 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:35

Why does Alonso always moan when he's not winning? OK so Hamilton made an honest mistake and should have been punished sooner. But Hamilton also drove quicker in Qualifying and was ahead of FA. If the positions were reversed would Lewis be moaning as much as Fernando is? I really doubt that.

Alonso is just a moaning cry baby. How is it that at Mclaren Lewis has no problem with Jenson? Yet before FA had even joined Ferrari he had already upset Massa..... There is a pattern developing here about FA's character and maybe just maybe we now see why LH is considered by some to be the better driver!

Advertisement

#1100 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 16:36

Why does Alonso always moan when he's not winning? OK so Hamilton made an honest mistake and should have been punished sooner. But Hamilton also drove quicker in Qualifying and was ahead of FA. If the positions were reversed would Lewis be moaning as much as Fernando is? I really doubt that.

Alonso is just a moaning cry baby. How is it that at Mclaren Lewis has no problem with Jenson? Yet before FA had even joined Ferrari he had already upset Massa..... There is a pattern developing here about FA's character and maybe just maybe we now see why LH is considered by some to be the better driver!

Maybe Hamilton would moan and then lie and say he did not moan if you asked him.

And I think you need to eat more fish as your memory is damaged. The one throwing mind games was Massa. Actually Alonso only sucked up everyone including Massa from Ferrari,