Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#10951 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 17:25

Fernando was the first congratulating Vettel for the TITLE....so he can't complain like last season! :)

Posted Image

He didn't complain, he was asked. I don't think he could care less about Alonso.

Advertisement

#10952 e34

e34

• 718 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 17:44

He didn't complain, he was asked. I don't think he could care less about Alonso.

If only there were more people like Vettel, then , in this forum...

Edited by e34, 09 October 2011 - 17:44.

#10953 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,032 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 17:46

Hello there! Nice to see you around :)

#10954 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 18:22

For starters, this very thread wouldn't exist and you and I wouldn't have many posts on it. But we do care about him, don't we ?

Edited by cardin, 09 October 2011 - 18:26.

#10955 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 18:59

Vettel (most underrated .driver on this forum) has a stunning sense of humour but I can't help but think that Nando laid the gauntlet down. Youngest triple. World champ.
Not to mention stunning driver...

Where is Hamilton?

Edited by Buttoneer, 09 October 2011 - 20:55.
Quit with the troll-words

#10956 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 19:06

For starters, this very thread wouldn't exist and you and I wouldn't have many posts on it. But we do care about him, don't we ?

Deflection.

#10957 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 19:25

Deflection.

Affliction.

#10958 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 19:26

Vettel (most underrated .driver on this forum) has a stunning sense of humour but I can't help but think that Nando laid the gauntlet down. Youngest triple. World champ.
Not to mention stunning driver...

Where is Hamilton?

If you only could make sense...

Edited by Buttoneer, 09 October 2011 - 20:56.

#10959 egg1980

egg1980

• 340 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 20:45

More puzzling is that he has not won WDC in 5 years despite driving in absolute top teams with WDC capable cars

You think that the '08 & '09 Renaults were capable of winning the championship? 2007 and 2010 he took it to the last race and just missed out. 2011's Ferrari has generally been the third fastest car and yet Fernando is a handful of points off being second in the drivers championship.
I expect by your logic you must be fairly puzzled that Rubens isn't winning races with Williams who were an absolute top team as you put it, why Trulli isn't winning races with Team Lotus who were an 'absolute top team' and you must really be scratching your head as to why Schumacher and Mercedes aren't winning every single race, I mean after-all, Mercedes were an absolute top team in the 1940s...

back in the real world, times change and other packages become more competitive, but fortunately some drivers continue to get the best out of their equipment, a quick look at the stats shows this to the case with Alonso every season other than perhaps 2009 - but that car was so ugly I wouldn't have blamed him if he'd have refused to get in it.

Advertisement

#10960 Skellen

Skellen

• 513 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 20:51

If you only could make sense...

Huh?

#10961 egg1980

egg1980

• 340 posts

Posted 09 October 2011 - 20:56

A very great drive from Alonso. Routine stuff from him. I was expecting him to get past Button as his tires were fresher than Button's by I guess 2 laps and he should have gone for it when Button was caught napping. After McLaren woke Button up, he had no chance to match the much faster car McLaren and had to settle for 2nd.

I loved how RBR asked Vettel "not to take risks" with Alonso.

In Button's defence do you not think, given that he almost ran out of fuel immediately after the race, that he was in fuel save mode rather than being asleep. That sequence seemed like an unusually well executed strategy from an all-to-often sloppy McLaren. Leading me to believe that Button probably called the strategy and team followed rather than the other way around.

#10962 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,625 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:49

Another great race by alonso at suzuka :up:

#10963 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:41

You are only ONE person/woman! There are a lot in whole the world who thinks different, me incluided!
Why are you so intolerant? :rolleyes:

Am I intolerant? Why? Because I said what I think, it's just my opinion. I can understand some people could consider Fernado handsome... It's a supreme effort from my side but I can understand it. ;)

What's crystal clear is that we'll never fight for a guy. :rotfl:

I edit because I forgot to congratulate Alonso for his podium in Suzuka, a good race for him, the team and his fans... :up:

Edited by Jordana, 10 October 2011 - 08:50.

#10964 ali.unal

ali.unal

• 3,244 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:42

Posted Image

As you can see, Fernando Alonso uses his DRS to defend Vettel in the start-finish straight. I thought it is an important issue and I'd like to bring it up.

At the far side of the image, there is a car which I believe is one of Saubers. Alonso must have been 1 sec behind that Sauber before 130R, where DRS detection is measured so he earned the right to use his DRS to pass Sauber. But, he somehow managed to pass or Sauber let him thru before the start-finish straight and duly took advantage of a free DRS to be able to defend Vettel's DRS. It's an interesting and legit tactic IMHO. If I'm not mistaken, Schumacher also used DRS while defending in similar condition, but I'm ready to be corrected.

#10965 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,032 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 11:02

As you can see, Fernando Alonso uses his DRS to defend Vettel in the start-finish straight. I thought it is an important issue and I'd like to bring it up.

At the far side of the image, there is a car which I believe is one of Saubers. Alonso must have been 1 sec behind that Sauber before 130R, where DRS detection is measured so he earned the right to use his DRS to pass Sauber. But, he somehow managed to pass or Sauber let him thru before the start-finish straight and duly took advantage of a free DRS to be able to defend Vettel's DRS. It's an interesting and legit tactic IMHO. If I'm not mistaken, Schumacher also used DRS while defending in similar condition, but I'm ready to be corrected.

I think that you are right, once you are through the detection point less than 1 sec behind the car in front of you your DRS will be enabled, whether you overtake the car or not (it is an automatic system, if I am not mistaken). But I would not call it a tactic, in the sense that the decision will always be to use DRS if given the opportunity - no strategic thinking involved ;)

Edited by Fontainebleau, 10 October 2011 - 11:02.

#10966 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 842 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 14:26

DRS is hardly a sensible devise, isn't it?
You can't defend against attacker unless there's another car in front of you, or you use all KERS power. But then you become vulnerable til the end of the lap ... why did we need that gimmick ...
Great and solid drive, Fernando.

#10967 sushantf1

sushantf1

• 229 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 14:38

DRS is hardly a sensible devise, isn't it?
You can't defend against attacker unless there's another car in front of you, or you use all KERS power. But then you become vulnerable til the end of the lap ... why did we need that gimmick ...
Great and solid drive, Fernando.

I heard in the commentary that a backmarker was ahead of nando...so he was able to use the DRS.

#10968 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 16:12

it was a hrt that was being lapped so he was allowed to use the drs.

#10969 tigrezno

tigrezno

• 79 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 22:19

alonso was less than 1 sec behind another car, it was ok to use drs in that situation.

Edited by tigrezno, 10 October 2011 - 22:20.

#10970 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,032 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:04

alonso was less than 1 sec behind another car, it was ok to use drs in that situation.

We all agree on that, if I am not mistaken Ali's question was about the fact that once you are less than a sec behind a car through the detection point, then your DRS is activated even if you manage to overtake that car. So, for example:
- you could overtake the car (or the lapped car let you through) in between the detection point and the DRS activation zone, and your DRS would still be enabled, or
- you could overtake the car (or the lapped car let you through) at the very beginning of the DRS activation zone, and your DRS would still be enabled for the whole of the activation zone

I understand that this is the way the system works, because it is an automatic device. Could somebody confirm this point?

#10971 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:09

If you are less than 1 second behind any car at the detection point your DRS is activated no matter what happens to that other car, it's as simple as that.

#10972 K-One

K-One

• 5,908 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:48

Domenicali was asked in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport whether Alonso would accept Vettel at Ferrari in 2014.

"I think so," he replied. "I think they could coexist. Fernando's strength is not being afraid of anyone."

haha, Alonso is afraid of everyone with equal status

#10973 Coops3

Coops3

• 1,579 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 12:54

Awsome race by Fernando.

Re. him using his DRS to defend against Vettel, as others have said this is within the rules, and it's happened loads of times this season with other drivers.

That said, I do think it needs looking at; it doesn't seem right that you get DRS when lapping someone.

#10974 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 13:15

Considering how many times Alonso has been blocked by distracted backmarkers in the past, it is only fair he got some luck in Japan.

#10975 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,032 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 13:21

Domenicali was asked in Tuesday's Gazzetta dello Sport whether Alonso would accept Vettel at Ferrari in 2014.

"I think so," he replied. "I think they could coexist. Fernando's strength is not being afraid of anyone."

haha, Alonso is afraid of everyone with equal status

Yes, I am sure that you are in a better position to know than Domenicalli...

#10976 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 13:58

Awesome race by fernando.

#10977 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,663 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 14:30

Yes, I am sure that you are in a better position to know than Domenicalli...

Let them live in their own fabricated 2007 fantasy.

#10978 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 16:21

Nuevo Alonso-spot?

Edited by puxanando, 11 October 2011 - 16:21.

#10979 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 16:23

that would be the killer team. Alonso and Vettel. it could either turn out like Barca now, or RM now :lol:

Advertisement

#10980 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 16:30

that would be the killer team. Alonso and Vettel. it could either turn out like Barca now, or RM now :lol:

Vettel wiil NOT come to Ferrari the next few years!

#10981 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 19:44

Looking back there is no need for Ferrari to get Vettel in the camp. It is rather Webber or Nico who may change the course of development. Nico..? Yes he will kick mighty Fernando's a$$.

Besides, ... what an awesome race it was indeed fro Fernando, in the third quickest car in Suzuka to keep the fastest car behind. Class of its won, great pity that it did not mean his WDC...

#10982 ForzaGTR

ForzaGTR

• 2,953 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 19:47

Good drive by Alonso at the weekend, he is definitely extracting the maximum from his car.

#10983 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 19:58

Brilliant race from Alonso once again. :up: definitely will become my favourite driver when button retires.

Edited by zack1994, 11 October 2011 - 19:59.

#10984 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:16

First of all:
what a great race by fernando.
That was a masterpiece, a race which should be remembered when talking about him.

Races like this make me actually want Ferrari to be competitive next year. He is Prost-esque in his lack of flair but phenomenal speed.

That is a big mistake that some people make.
Button is the Prost-esque guy in the field.

Alonso is the perfect symbiosis of Senna and Prost, very near to the perfect racing driver.
So a race like that by alonso should be simply called Alonso-esque.
Alonso-esque= the highest level a racing driver can get.

Chapeau :up:

#10985 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:20

Alonso lacks flair? This the guy who jumped on top of his car and invented new hand gestures every other win?

#10986 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 12:48

First of all:
what a great race by fernando.
That was a masterpiece, a race which should be remembered when talking about him.

That is a big mistake that some people make.
Button is the Prost-esque guy in the field.

Alonso is the perfect symbiosis of Senna and Prost, very near to the perfect racing driver.
So a race like that by alonso should be simply called Alonso-esque.
Alonso-esque= the highest level a racing driver can get.

Chapeau :up:

This was a good drive for Alonso, but let's not use epithets or things like Alonso = Senna+Prost+Clark... Simply not true.
What he did, is what I expect from him and what Ferrari expects from him. Nothing more, nothing less...

Edited by nbhb, 12 October 2011 - 13:03.

#10987 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,663 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 13:22

What he did, is what I expect from him and what Ferrari expects from him. Nothing more, nothing less...

That doesn't make it less impressive, we are so used to it (Alonso driving the car to the limit or beyond) that maybe we have lost perspective of what Alonso is accomplishing with this car.

#10988 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 13:39

That doesn't make it less impressive, we are so used to it (Alonso driving the car to the limit or beyond) that maybe we have lost perspective of what Alonso is accomplishing with this car.

Maybe..., is just that posts like that of @YellowHelmet, I only saw in Vettel's thread and I had enough...

#10989 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 15:10

Excuse me from saying this. team As Ferrari cannot remain happy in taking 2nd place in anywhere anytime. It must have been said that the performance Fernando delivered in terms Ferrari's standard was little less than expected. Bt given circumstances and due course, Fernando's performance was excellent for which Ferrari can be happy about.

#10990 BalazsF1

BalazsF1

• 1,019 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 15:13

Excuse me from saying this. team As Ferrari cannot remain happy in taking 2nd place in anywhere anytime. It must have been said that the performance Fernando delivered in terms Ferrari's standard was little less than expected. Bt given circumstances and due course, Fernando's performance was excellent for which Ferrari can be happy about.

Sorry for saying: what a silly comment! Ferrari cannot win every race of every season. There is no team in the world which is able to do that. If Ferrari were able to win every single race, Formula One would renamed to Formula Ferrari and nobody would watch it expect from the Tifosi.
As for Fernando: he is the best driver by far and what he is doing insind and outside the car is simly phenomenal.

#10991 schubacca

schubacca

• 796 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 15:13

FA is driving the wheels off that Ferrari. And for that Ferrari should be pleased. This is a driver who is at the top of his game at the moment.

That said....

Ferrari need to give FA a car comensurate of his abilities.

#10992 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 20:46

Sorry for saying: what a silly comment! Ferrari cannot win every race of every season. There is no team in the world which is able to do that. If Ferrari were able to win every single race, Formula One would renamed to Formula Ferrari and nobody would watch it expect from the Tifosi.
As for Fernando: he is the best driver by far and what he is doing insind and outside the car is simly phenomenal.

Mac came damn close in 1988. Get the car right and it can be done.

#10993 BalazsF1

BalazsF1

• 1,019 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:15

Mac came damn close in 1988. Get the car right and it can be done.

OMG!
I don't speak about one single season, but about the whole story of the championship. There is no football team which won all the Word Cups. There is no F1 teams which won all Championships. It is impossible, nevertheless we cannot expect Ferrari to be always in topform. They also have a couple of worse season, but they are generally at the front among others and that's the right thing. Other teams have very talented drivers and engineers as well who can bring their own team to the winning road.

#10994 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 16:05

Posted Image

:love: so cute

#10995 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 16:23

Posted Image

:love: so cute

Class :up:

#10996 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:46

This was a good drive for Alonso, but let's not use epithets or things like Alonso = Senna+Prost+Clark...

I havent mentioned clark, the perfect symbiosis of senna and prost is alonso, simple as that.

you are expexting from a driver in a third fastest car to end the race as second, beating two rb and one mclaren.
If yes, me saying he is the perfect symbiosis of senna and prost is than even more true ;)

About todays Korea qualy:
I think that the margin is to big to have any podium expecatations for tommorow, but never underestimate Alonso ;)

Edited by YellowHelmet, 15 October 2011 - 08:47.

#10997 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:15

About todays Korea qualy:
I think that the margin is to big to have any podium expecatations for tommorow, but never underestimate Alonso ;)

Even an off form Senna would not have been out qualified 4 times in the last 7-8 races by Massa. Alonso's qualy performances of late have been disappointing.

#10998 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:21

Even an off form Senna would not have been out qualified 4 times in the last 7-8 races by Massa. Alonso's qualy performances of late have been disappointing.

nothing really worrying.
we couldnt care less about it, coz it has not really a big effect for the race.
whether 5 or 6, nothing that we should cry about. ferrari is this year not fast enough over one lap (tyre temepratures) but over a stint in the race (coz they are not overusing their tyres) we have some potential.
but the gap to the mclarens is very big though.
so i dont think alonso can fight for podium or win again, although i am not rulling it out (as alonso is not, too).

#10999 topical

topical

• 2,086 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:42

nothing really worrying.
we couldnt care less about it, coz it has not really a big effect for the race.
whether 5 or 6, nothing that we should cry about. ferrari is this year not fast enough over one lap (tyre temepratures) but over a stint in the race (coz they are not overusing their tyres) we have some potential.
but the gap to the mclarens is very big though.
so i dont think alonso can fight for podium or win again, although i am not rulling it out (as alonso is not, too).

i agree, i'm just saying that alonso, good as he is , is not quite prost+senna...

i only worry about the dirty side of the track tomorrow. if alonso gets stuck behind rosberg he'll be 10 seconds off the lead within 2 or 3 leaps. i hope he can start well and at least maintain position or perhaps even jump webber.

Advertisement

#11000 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:46

i agree, i'm just saying that alonso, good as he is , is not quite prost+senna...

i never said he is senna+prost. but he is the perfect symbiosis of intelligent and aggresive driving (when needed) the one attribute described prost and the other senna.

i only worry about the dirty side of the track tomorrow. if alonso gets stuck behind rosberg he'll be 10 seconds off the lead within 2 or 3 leaps. i hope he can start well and at least maintain position or perhaps even jump webber.

my worry, too.
the start tommorow will be very important, so let us keep our fingers crossed.

Edited by YellowHelmet, 15 October 2011 - 09:46.