Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#11601 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 21:40

Today he scared me,honestly. I kept seeing everyone drop off but there was FA in a Pickup Truck right behind. Crazy! FA&LH lapped all but 9 cars today.

i kind of got that feeling aswell, but it was enjoyment. i was just shocked how when i saw Lewis, surely he has popped 5 tenths on Alonso, but no, the gap actually decreases.

Great performance again from Alonso! His endurance of great driving without the absolute best car for years and years is phenomenal!
For a moment,I thought that Alonso might be mentally crushed by the Red Bull-Vettel machine but his driving did the talking in proving that my fleeting thought was wrong! :clap:

Alonso gets better! even his english has improved along with his Italian!

i dont know, this is a feeling i have, but i think Vettel/RB have more to fear about Alonso than he has of them, for 2012, especially if Ferraris car lives up to the billing.

Advertisement

#11602 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 21:41

“Next year, we go to Austin and the year after to Russia, so there will always be new challenges to tackle and objectives to reach even if, obviously, the main one is always to win the title,” he added. “It’s clear what will be the objective for me and all the team next year: winning the title.”

from HERE

#11603 GlenP

GlenP

• 3,403 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 21:54

No doubt in my mind - Alonso really is the number one all-round driver. Brilliant race from him, just awesome.

#11604 FSLIV

FSLIV

• 564 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 22:00

Nice video!

:up:

Great video. Especially the end. They truly are the perfect pair. There should be a thread dedicated to them, a positive one.

#11605 Sazh

Sazh

• 66 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 22:49

Another great race for Alonso. A win would have tasted better but given the circumstances and the quality of his car being second is again a super result. 10 podiums with the 3rd fastest car? That's consistency! :)

Edited by Sazh, 13 November 2011 - 22:49.

#11606 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 5,147 posts

Posted 13 November 2011 - 23:39

Nice posts by the visitors to this thread, giving credit where it's due. :up:

Edited by KnucklesAgain, 14 November 2011 - 10:48.

#11607 abc

abc

• 1,967 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 00:22

Massa only had 2 laps out of 55 that were faster than Fernando. ALO's fastest lap was almost one full second faster than Felipe. He surely got the maximum today.

Ehm, more like 6 laps out of 46 (first lap and in/out laps logically excluded) and 3 tenths faster FL. And being involved in battle with JB and MW over half of the race distance didnt help Massa further. FA drove very nice race but lets not exaggerate here that much, we saw bigger difference between them two in the past (and in yesterdays quali, too).

Edited by abc, 14 November 2011 - 00:25.

#11608 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 11:02

STAR of the race

Star of the Race
Fernando Alonso, Ferrari, 2nd
Another dogged drive by Alonso. Earlier in the week Fernando had delivered a fantastic compliment to Lewis saying that he was the only driver on the grid who could win a race with a car that wasn't the fastest. Today's GP only reinforced what we knew already - that there are at least two drivers who could produce drives like that. Whereas Hamilton can win things by taking risks and driving close to the edge of adhesion, Alonso's relentless precision coupled with a degree of patience that Lewis lacks can see him climb the top step. The Ferrari in qualifying looked the fifth and sixth fastest cars, yet in the race Alonso was remarkable. In the early stages when Button had a fully working KERS he pulled away from him and hung onto Hamilton. On the opening lap Lewis had a 2.5 second lead. By Lap 10 it was still only 2.7 seconds and they hadn't hit the backmarker traffic.

Also HERE our man on the TOP! :up:

Edited by puxanando, 14 November 2011 - 12:20.

#11609 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 13:40

Coming from PlanetF1 it means nothing or something depending on your take about that site.

A cool pic.

Posted Image

#11610 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 14:21

Have a LOOK! :up:

#11611 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 14:41

Any on boards of Alonso from the race?

#11612 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 14:54

Have a LOOK! :up:

Thanks for the video, there is another one in that same channel with Fernando doing donuts with a F10 Tribute Edition GTO from october . The amount of this stuff for VIPs that Fernando do for Ferrari is insane, thankfully for him most of Ferrari PR is about that and not boring interviews.

#11613 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,421 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 16:42

Blog entry.

http://www.ferrari.c...ri-not-bad.aspx

So after 37 races with Ferrari, he has achieved 20 podiums, not a bad stat.

#11614 glorius&victorius

glorius&victorius

• 4,327 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 16:47

Man! What is Fernando doing that Massa cannot?

Is Fernando really making up an average 0.6s of a second over his team mate?

If so, the guy is amazing! I always rooted for Fernando (except for when he went against Hamilton... but I still admired the MF! :up:

#11615 prty

prty

• 5,221 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 17:31

Saw this in another forum and seemed interesting to me, because a lot of people talk about Alonso's 2006 declarations regarding Ferrari.

From 1994:

Schumacher: "FIA favors Ferrari":

http://ricerca.repub...la-ferrari.html

:drunk:

#11616 Rajdeep

Rajdeep

• 67 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 17:46

I made a small table based on the WDC points as of today. If we assume that the average of the 2 drivers is the true performance of the car, Alonso has outperformed the car's potential by 39%. Even though Webber's performance this year has been criticised a lot, Vettel outperformed RBR's potential by 23%. This also means that the number 1 driver in the RBR was going to win the title, no matter who it is...

Team: Driver 1; Driver 2; Average; Outperformance of #1
Red Bull: 374; 233; 303.5; 23%
McLaren: 255; 227; 241.0; 6%
Ferrari: 245; 108; 176.5; 39%
Mercedes: 83; 76; 79.5; 4%

Unfortunately, I don't know how to paste a spreadsheet here. Hope what I wrote is understandable.

#11617 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 18:05

I made a small table based on the WDC points as of today. If we assume that the average of the 2 drivers is the true performance of the car, Alonso has outperformed the car's potential by 39%. Even though Webber's performance this year has been criticised a lot, Vettel outperformed RBR's potential by 23%. This also means that the number 1 driver in the RBR was going to win the title, no matter who it is...

Team: Driver 1; Driver 2; Average; Outperformance of #1
Red Bull: 374; 233; 303.5; 23%
McLaren: 255; 227; 241.0; 6%
Ferrari: 245; 108; 176.5; 39%
Mercedes: 83; 76; 79.5; 4%

Unfortunately, I don't know how to paste a spreadsheet here. Hope what I wrote is understandable.

What this prove? Honestly I don't understand...

#11618 Rajdeep

Rajdeep

• 67 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 18:11

What this prove? Honestly I don't understand...

How much a driver is outperforming the car. I don't think Massa is the right benchmark as he's clearly underperforming. Also, it gives a part of the picture of which driver is outperforming his machinery between the top teams. Off course this is not an absolute confirmation, just a small pointer that Alonso's performance this year is perhaps even more impressive than Vettel's.

#11619 Tifosi4ever

Tifosi4ever

• 786 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 18:21

How much a driver is outperforming the car. I don't think Massa is the right benchmark as he's clearly underperforming. Also, it gives a part of the picture of which driver is outperforming his machinery between the top teams. Off course this is not an absolute confirmation, just a small pointer that Alonso's performance this year is perhaps even more impressive than Vettel's.

Well, Massa was wdc runner up in 2008, 1 point behind the wdc, whereas Mark's best position is 3rd, 14 points behind the wdc. Therefore, Alonso destroying Fellipe by more than Vettel destroying Mark is even more impressive.

Advertisement

#11620 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,137 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 18:51

Saw this in another forum and seemed interesting to me, because a lot of people talk about Alonso's 2006 declarations regarding Ferrari.

From 1994:

Schumacher: "FIA favors Ferrari":

http://ricerca.repub...la-ferrari.html

:drunk:

Ah, so you do keep an eye on that forum too...  ;)

#11621 prty

prty

• 5,221 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 19:26

Ah, so you do keep an eye on that forum too... ;)

yeppers :blush:

#11622 Massa

Massa

• 4,413 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 20:06

thats a really telling and damming stat for massa. And i saw one of those 2 on live timing!

To be fair, Massa had the older FW ( 3 element ) all the weekend. So he had a car with no upgrades since Hungary.

Their update for Spa and Monza didn't work so they drop it to the car.

But Massa is very poor.

#11623 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,137 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 20:44

yeppers :blush:

Obviously, so do I! :p Some interesting links posted now and then.

Not really Alonso-related, and only mildly Ferrari-related, but I found this funny - I don't think I would ever gather the courage to go on that rollercoaster! http://www.youtube.c...p;v=L537R578cUA

#11624 Sazh

Sazh

• 66 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 22:05

Blog entry.

http://www.ferrari.c...ri-not-bad.aspx

So after 37 races with Ferrari, he has achieved 20 podiums, not a bad stat.

Actually certain people suggest Alonso's arrival to Ferrari has been a fail for the team, but last year Alonso finished second in the championship and this year he may repeat that again (in the 3rd best car). Not bad given the circunstances. Who cares if he didn't win the championship the first year? As soon as he gets a car able to fight for wins regularly as RBR he may surely deliver the title.

#11625 albertini

albertini

• 225 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 23:02

Here, Alonso overtaking to Button (min 1:10), recorded by a fan.

overtaking.

#11626 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,955 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 18:00

Here, Alonso overtaking to Button (min 1:10), recorded by a fan.

overtaking.

are they cheering Vettel's crash?

#11627 kurski

kurski

• 264 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 22:35

Nice video!

Yes.

#11628 showtime

showtime

• 2,676 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 22:40

crash?

#11629 pikamoku

pikamoku

• 357 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 06:42

yes.

crash, cheering, Uhmmm, not the right words IMO. People didnt cheer, it was much some kind of being amazed by the first real problem of Seb this season.

#11630 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 08:11

yes.

crash, cheering, Uhmmm, not the right words IMO. People didnt cheer, it was much some kind of being amazed by the first real problem of Seb this season.

I was also very happy when Seb spun out.

Great race by Alonso on Sunday, he has had a great season and it's a pity he only has one win to show for it. I hope next year he gets the car he deserves.

#11631 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 14:25

Montezemolo said: 'We have a contract with Fernando until 2016 and he's the best driver in the world ."

#11632 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,421 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:04

Man, 2016 is so far away :p , let's hope for some nice success, it will be frikin sad if the team can produce a great machine to make justice to Fernando's driving and Ferrari's legacy.

#11633 yr

yr

• 5,970 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:37

Well, Massa was wdc runner up in 2008, 1 point behind the wdc, whereas Mark's best position is 3rd, 14 points behind the wdc. Therefore, Alonso destroying Fellipe by more than Vettel destroying Mark is even more impressive.

More rational take on matter would be: Hamilton beat Alonso in his rookie year, and obviously he is even better driver now with some experience - yet Button is beating him... so only conclusion that can be made from this is that Button is way better than Alonso, no?

#11634 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:40

More rational take on matter would be: Hamilton beat Alonso in his rookie year, and obviously he is even better driver now with some experience - yet Button is beating him... so only conclusion that can be made from this is that Button is way better than Alonso, no?

Results do not support that statement. It is a second year in a row that Alonso finishes higher with a car that is lower in the Constructors Championship.

#11635 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,222 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:49

Hamilton did not be Alonso in his rookie year. They both had 4 wins. Fernando had more faster laps & Lewis had more poles and both finished with 109 points. Its best to not assert your opinion as fact.

#11636 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:56

Hamilton did not be Alonso in his rookie year. They both had 4 wins. Fernando had more faster laps & Lewis had more poles and both finished with 109 points. Its best to not assert your opinion as fact.

And THIS fighting against his own team! Not bad! :p

#11637 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 17:59

The thing is, you assume Hamilton is an even better driver now, but he does not seem to be improving. 07 is still his most impressive season.

#11638 yr

yr

• 5,970 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 18:03

Results do not support that statement. It is a second year in a row that Alonso finishes higher with a car that is lower in the Constructors Championship.

Constructions Championship depends on both drivers, you really cant just look at points-table and conclude that if team A is higher in WCC table than team B, then team A has automatically better car. What if team A has Vettel and Hamilton as drivers and team B has liuzzi and karthikeyan? Massa has underperformed massively and Alonso has performed as he should have with that car. Hamilton has underperformed and Button has overperformed - but as you see, teams Number 1´s performance is more important for total points (fighting for win is more important than fighting for 3rd or 4th). So, all in all, one driver in Ferrari and one in Mclaren has delivered and one failed, but because in Ferrari th #2 failed and in Mclaren #1 failed the result looks like it does.

Edited by yr, 22 November 2011 - 18:05.

#11639 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 18:46

Constructions Championship depends on both drivers, you really cant just look at points-table and conclude that if team A is higher in WCC table than team B, then team A has automatically better car. What if team A has Vettel and Hamilton as drivers and team B has liuzzi and karthikeyan? Massa has underperformed massively and Alonso has performed as he should have with that car. Hamilton has underperformed and Button has overperformed - but as you see, teams Number 1´s performance is more important for total points (fighting for win is more important than fighting for 3rd or 4th). So, all in all, one driver in Ferrari and one in Mclaren has delivered and one failed, but because in Ferrari th #2 failed and in Mclaren #1 failed the result looks like it does.

Exactly. That was my point.

Advertisement

#11640 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,541 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 20:57

why not everybody thought lewis was going to kick his butt and look now

#11641 ASFA2011

ASFA2011

• 298 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 21:15

Judging by their stadings in the WDC I must say that Button hasn't overperformed , he has the 2nd fastest car and he is second in the championship , so he is just doing what he was expected to do, a good job , in the other hand we have Hamilton who is clearly underperforming his car , and if we go to Alonso then he is clearly overperforming because his natural position given the performance of his machine should be around fifth or sith in the WDC , and you know that numbers don't lie , simple facts ...

#11642 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 21:21

Judging by their stadings in the WDC I must say that Button hasn't overperformed , he has the 2nd fastest car and he is second in the championship , so he is just doing what he was expected to do, a good job , in the other hand we have Hamilton who is clearly underperforming his car , and if we go to Alonso then he is clearly overperforming because his natural position given the performance of his machine should be around fifth or sith in the WDC , and you know that numbers don't lie , simple facts ...

A note of caution - there is still a race to go and Alonso could finish as low as fifth in the WDC, or as high as second.

#11643 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,459 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 22:12

Fifth would feel so unfair after the way Alonso has driven this year. I worked out his points and he has scored 103 in 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 money. Impressive given the car IMO.

#11644 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 22:34

Fifth would feel so unfair after the way Alonso has driven this year. I worked out his points and he has scored 103 in 10-8-6-5-4-3-2-1 money. Impressive given the car IMO.

Yes. The scenario is:

WDC Positions

2. JB 255 points
3. FA 245 points
4. MW 233 points
5. LH 227 points

So, for LH to leapfrog FA he needs to gain 18 points, so 1st or 2nd. If he is 2nd, FA needs 1 point (10th). If he wins, FA needs 8 points (6th) to clear him.

For MW to move up to third, he needs to gain 13 points on FA. Hence a podium position is necessary for MW to have any chance, while 3rd place would cover Alonso against Webber if Mark wins, while 7th will be sufficient if Mark is 2nd. If Mark is third, the Alonso needs to be 8th.

Regarding Button, Alonso needs to gain 11 points as a points tie will go to Button on countback. A podium is all Button needs, whereas Alonso needs at least fourth to have a mathematical chance of overhauling him. If Button is 4th, 5th or 6th, Alonso needs to win. If JB is 7th, Alonso must be 2nd. If JB is 8th or 9th, FA must be 3rd. Otherwise, 4th will do.

#11645 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 22:52

Yes. The scenario is:

WDC Positions

2. JB 255 points
3. FA 245 points
4. MW 233 points
5. LH 227 points

So, for LH to leapfrog FA he needs to gain 18 points, so 1st or 2nd. If he is 2nd, FA needs 1 point (10th). If he wins, FA needs 8 points (6th) to clear him.

For MW to move up to third, he needs to gain 13 points on FA. Hence a podium position is necessary for MW to have any chance, while 3rd place would cover Alonso against Webber if Mark wins, while 7th will be sufficient if Mark is 2nd. If Mark is third, the Alonso needs to be 8th.

Regarding Button, Alonso needs to gain 11 points as a points tie will go to Button on countback. A podium is all Button needs, whereas Alonso needs at least fourth to have a mathematical chance of overhauling him. If Button is 4th, 5th or 6th, Alonso needs to win. If JB is 7th, Alonso must be 2nd. If JB is 8th or 9th, FA must be 3rd. Otherwise, 4th will do.

You have a lot of time to calculate all the permutations...

I say just win the race and hope for the best.

#11646 Aieljose

Aieljose

• 676 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 22:54

I dont think alonsos statment is absolutely true. Results are not only dependant of the cars performance but also the performance of the drivers and as we know drivers can underperform and overperform. If we gave vettel and alonso this years f150 and yuji ide and sato this years mclaren, id bet anything that the f150 would finish higher in the constructors but does that mean it's the better car? Ofcorse this is an extreme example and most of the time what alonso said holds true but there are always exceptions. It's hard to tell which car was better in 2005 and 2006.

#11647 jj9

jj9

• 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 08:22

hi all from Russia)
you probably have not seen my fan-art, take a look)

http://video.yandex....jj9/view/58/#hq
- Before the penultimate race of the 2005 season - Brazil, where early Fernando won his first title.
- The last race of the season 2005 - China.
- Brazil 2006 - the last race of the season, and with it the second title.

http://video.yandex....jj9/view/61/#hq
- Fernando Alonso, start Spain 2011

http://video.yandex....jj9/view/64/#hq
- HAPPY BIRTHDAY FERNANDO!

#11648 Flamini

Flamini

• 849 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:16

No eyes for Vettel as Ferrari happy with Alonso

#11649 krea

krea

• 714 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 11:20

We all know the main problem is not Alonso.

#11650 Cesc

Cesc

• 940 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 15:55

No eyes for Vettel as Ferrari happy with Alonso

Well, I don't know if Alonso is the best of all, but one thing is true, having Alonso there is little room for improvement, so I wouldn't change him at all. Let's say is a contrasted value. Vettel is a huge talent, but as Brawn said, we will see how good Vettel is when he had to deal with an average car (or a not so superior car).

Edited by Cesc, 23 November 2011 - 15:56.