Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#11751 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,139 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 14:40

Posted Image

As you see, except in 2004 and 2007, Fernando always has had the upper hand over his teammate.

The only problem with those numbers is that Fernando's teammates have been on the weak side. Jarno Trulli in his prime (2003-2004) and rookie Lewis in 2008 are the only strong opposition here, and both of those match ups were pretty close (he did get the better of Trulli in 2003).

Massa is a question mark, because we don't know if he's the same guy as he was before the injury.

As I said before, I'd really like to see a strong driver alongside Fernando to help us know just how good he is. I have a feeling that driver might be Kubica, but then we'll be in the same boat as now since we won't know if he's the same guy.

Advertisement

#11752 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 14:41

Good rain races: Hungary 2006, Nurburgring 2007 (mixed conditions), Korea 2010.

Mediocre/bad ones: Japan 2007, China 2007, Monaco 2008/9(?), Belgium 2010, Canada 2011 and most others I can remember.

japan 2007: he made a crash, till then was batlling with lewis
china 2007: the mysterious tyre pressure problems
monaco 2008: he made a mistake (similar to hamilton, who still won, but for alonso that meant losing a lap)
belgium 2010: after being hit by barichello at the beginning he fougth his way through the field and crashed out, coz being to fast (hamilton also went off, and still through luck won)
canada 2011: before being kicked out by the race winner button he was long time on second place, and as already said being in front of the race winner till he kicked him out.
dont know why that should say he had a mediocre/bad race

and
now compare it to other so called great rain drivers: for example lewis or jenson or vettel.

Facts are despite having a strong car for most of his career he's won one proper wet race (Korea 2010, and that because Vettel retired - although it was a great drive by Alonso) and one in mixed conditions (Nurburgring 2007). That's not that impressive. He's also never had a dominant wet drive like Hamilton and Vettel have, while Button is the acknowledged master of mixed conditions.
Wet weather driving and qualifying are not Alonso's strong points. He's all right, but his biggest strength is intelligent driving and incredible consistency in race conditions.

pure stats tend to mislead.
coz they hide the circumstances behind those outcomes.
we have to add that in most rain races alonso had bad luck in comparison to others.

#11753 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 14:42

regarding what stats?

Qualifying comparison and points comparison. Although I am pretty sure you think statistics don't tell always the whole story and I agree with that. :)

#11754 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 14:43

As I said before, I'd really like to see a strong driver alongside Fernando to help us know just how good he is.

are you joking?
alonso drove against very strong drivers, more than any other driver in the current f1 field!
and you still are not recognizing what almost every expert sees, and that is that he is the best?

#11755 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 14:44

Qualifying comparison and points comparison. Although I am pretty sure you think statistics don't tell always the whole story and I agree with that. :)

than please tell it so, too.
coz so you emphasize that you are excluding some other stats.
and yes stats can be misleading coz they dont take into account the circumstancs that lead to a result.

#11756 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 14:49

Good rain races: Hungary 2006, Nurburgring 2007 (mixed conditions), Korea 2010.

Mediocre/bad ones: Japan 2007, China 2007, Monaco 2008/9(?), Belgium 2010, Canada 2011 and most others I can remember.

Facts are despite having a strong car for most of his career he's won one proper wet race (Korea 2010, and that because Vettel retired - although it was a great drive by Alonso) and one in mixed conditions (Nurburgring 2007). That's not that impressive. He's also never had a dominant wet drive like Hamilton and Vettel have, while Button is the acknowledged master of mixed conditions.
Wet weather driving and qualifying are not Alonso's strong points. He's all right, but his biggest strength is intelligent driving and incredible consistency in race conditions.

I agree with your post, except in the part that you say he had "a strong car for most of his career". In 10 years in F1, he has just driven great cars in 4 years: 2005, 2006, 2007 and arguably 2010.

Edited by AlanWake, 27 November 2011 - 14:50.

#11757 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:10

are you joking?
alonso drove against very strong drivers, more than any other driver in the current f1 field!
and you still are not recognizing what almost every expert sees, and that is that he is the best?

Who are these very strong drivers? Trulli? Fisi? Massa?

Those are good drivers but none of them are top tier as far as I'm concerned. It was the same with Schumacher and I actually have no problem with it but let's stop this Alonso shits ice cream please.

Alonso has only had one really good driver as a teammate and that is Hamilton. End of.

#11758 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:17

Who are these very strong drivers? Trulli? Fisi? Massa?

Those are good drivers but none of them are top tier as far as I'm concerned. It was the same with Schumacher and I actually have no problem with it but let's stop this Alonso shits ice cream please.

Alonso has only had one really good driver as a teammate and that is Hamilton. End of.

why because you said that?

trulli back than was one of the greatest, maybe the fastest guy around at that time.
and fisichella was considered to be one of the best, too.
and massa is the guy, who has beaten kimi, never forget that.

just because alonso shined next to them, doesnt mean that his teammates were shit, and if you wanna suggest this :down:

#11759 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,139 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:19

are you joking?

Relax. Where did I say such a thing? I suspect he is the best, since that seems to be the consensus amongst the team principals/insiders, who have more data to work with.

The question to me is whether he's just the best compromise of attributes, or whether there is any sort of gap between him and the rest of the top tier (currently Vettel, Hamilton & Button).

As for how good Fernando's teammates have been, I just don't see it. Let's look and see...

2001 - dominated his weak Minardi teammates.
2002 - test driver preparing for promotion at Renault as Flavio's golden child.
2003 - Impressively beats Jarno Trulli 55-33.
2004 - Edged by Trulli until the Italian mysteriously starts underperforming and is unceremoniously dumped late in the season and replaced by JV off the street.
2005 - Wins first WDC as he dominates new teammate Fisichella (impressive at the time as Fisi was a top midfield guy).
2006 - Wins 2nd WDC as he dominates new teammate Fisichella.
2007 - Tied by rookie Lewis Hamilton at McLaren (the less said about this the better - there are threads about this).
2008 - Nelson Piquet Jr? Not a terrible pedigree in lower formula, but not stellar considering his equipment. And a rookie to boot.
2009 - More Piquet, and then Grosjean. Romain is better than Piquet, but coming in mid-season as a rookie in a tricky car before he was ready.
2010 - Dominates Massa in his move to Ferrari - clearly he learned from his time at McLaren. Or is Massa just washed up?
2011 - More of the same versus the broken Massa.

All I see is a bunch of rookies, the two strong midfield driving Italians, and a post-injury Massa. No great shakes.

Button for instance, raced the same two Italians (and fared worse against Fisi in a difficult year), JV in the Canadians own team in 2003, Sato (not the strongest but at least known to be quick), a motivated Rubens (left Ferrari with a year on his contract to have a fair chance against a teammate), and two years against Lewis. In my mind that's way tougher than what Fernando has had to do, especially since he never benefitted from being the favored son (which really can't be denied RE Flavio and Fernando).

Advertisement

#11760 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,587 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:21

I agree with your post, except in the part that you say he had "a strong car for most of his career". In 10 years in F1, he has just driven great cars in 4 years: 2005, 2006, 2007 and arguably 2010.

"Great cars" is a little overboard for most of those years even. Great is like this years RBR. 2005 and 2006 Renault's where not the fastest cars those years and where plagued tyre graining issues while 2010 was overshadowed with engine reliability issues.

They where competitive cars but not great.

#11761 krea

krea

• 710 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:25

"Great cars" is a little overboard for most of those years even. Great is like this years RBR. 2005 and 2006 Renault's where not the fastest cars those years and where plagued tyre graining issues while 2010 was overshadowed with engine reliability issues.

both Renaults dominated the first half, "not great" is pretty absurd

#11762 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:26

Relax. Where did I say such a thing? I suspect he is the best, since that seems to be the consensus amongst the team principals/insiders, who have more data to work with.

The question to me is whether he's just the best compromise of attributes, or whether there is any sort of gap between him and the rest of the top tier (currently Vettel, Hamilton & Button).

As for how good Fernando's teammates have been, I just don't see it. Let's look and see...

2004 - Edged by Trulli until the Italian mysteriously starts underperforming and is unceremoniously dumped late in the season and replaced by JV off the street.
2005 - Wins first WDC as he dominates new teammate Fisichella (impressive at the time as Fisi was a top midfield guy).
2007 - Tied by rookie Lewis Hamilton at McLaren (the less said about this the better - there are threads about this).
2008 - Nelson Piquet Jr? Not a terrible pedigree in lower formula, but not stellar considering his equipment. And a rookie to boot.
2009 - More Piquet, and then Grosjean. Romain is better than Piquet, but coming in mid-season as a rookie in a tricky car before he was ready.
2010 - Dominates Massa in his move to Ferrari - clearly he learned from his time at McLaren. Or is Massa just washed up?

All I see is a bunch of rookies, the two strong midfield driving Italians, and a post-injury Massa. No great shakes.

Button for instance, raced the same two Italians (and fared worse against Fisi in a difficult year), JV in the Canadians own team in 2003, Sato (not the strongest but at least known to be quick), a motivated Rubens (left Ferrari with a year on his contract to have a fair chance against a teammate), and two years against Lewis. In my mind that's way tougher than what Fernando has had to do, especially since he never benefitted from being the favored son (which really can't be denied RE Flavio and Fernando).

in the first part you say you just see a bunch of rookies (as if that says anything about their strenght, but thats just a side note) and than you continue with two italians and massa.

the two italians dominated all their well and as very good regarded teammates.
fisichella, as you said e.g. button
trulli e.g. frentzen and at least in qualy ralf schumacher.
at that time they were really great.
you want to belittle them?
do it, but the history tells something different.
and massa as already said outshined kimi.
and massa is not any slower after the crash, alonso is just that great.

Edited by YellowHelmet, 27 November 2011 - 15:28.

#11763 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:27

both Renaults dominated the first half, "not great" is pretty absurd

over the season seen, he meant.
over the season they were very good, but far from great a la red bull 2011.

#11764 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:28

They were great cars in the sense that Fernando won the WDC or fought for the WDC till the last race.

#11765 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:30

Good interview with FA in LaSexta :up:

#11766 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:31

They were great cars in the sense that Fernando won the WDC or fought for the WDC till the last race.

as already explained, the word great is used in a different meaning, they were very good, and the ferrari 2010 was pretty good, but far from great.

great was the mclaren 1988, the williams 1992, the red bull 2011, the ferrari 2002, 2004.

there are big differences between a car being great or just good or very good.

#11767 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:32

Good interview with FA in LaSexta :up:

what was said?

#11768 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,139 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:34

in the first part you say you just see a bunch of rookies (as if that says anything about their strenght, but thats just a side note) and than you continue with two italians and massa.

the two italians dominated all their well and as very good regarded teammates.
fisichella, as you said e.g. button
trulli e.g. frentzen and at least in qualy ralf schumacher.
at that time they were really great.
you want to belittle them?
do it, but the history tells something different.
and massa as already said outshined kimi.
and massa is not any slower after the crash, alonso is just that great.

As I said Fisichella looked impressive at the time, but with hindsight it's clear that he was a driver that needed very special conditions to perform at the front. Kind of like a Frentzen, who was dismal at Williams (no support) but thrived in a Jordan that was good enough to win races in 1999 because he felt supported and confident. I don't think Giancarlo ever felt that at Renault, which was clearly Fernando's team by this time (especially after the Trulli fiasco).

As for Trulli, I call a draw there. Jarno was beating him in 2004 before falling out of favor with the team. No shame in that by any means, as Jarno was a top driver at the time.

Only one of those rookies is still in F1, and it's the one who tied him. If they were quality they'd still be around (hopefully Grosjean gets another chance).

#11769 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:35

As I said Fisichella looked impressive at the time, but with hindsight it's clear that he was a driver that needed very special conditions to perform at the front. Kind of like a Frentzen, who was dismal at Williams (no support) but thrived in a Jordan that was good enough to win races in 1999 because he felt supported and confident. I don't think Giancarlo ever felt that at Renault, which was clearly Fernando's team by this time (especially after the Trulli fiasco).

As for Trulli, I call a draw there. Jarno was beating him in 2004 before falling out of favor with the team. No shame in that by any means, as Jarno was a top driver at the time.

Only one of those rookies is still in F1, and it's the one who tied him. If they were quality they'd still be around (hopefully Grosjean gets another chance).

which just says, that alonso drove against very good and some really great drivers in a team +
more than any other driver in f1 right now!

#11770 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:38

what was said?

I will try to translate it tonight.

#11771 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:40

I will try to translate it tonight.

thx :up:

#11772 tkulla

tkulla

• 3,139 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:40

which just says, that alonso drove against very good and some really great drivers in a team +
more than any other driver in f1 right now!

Number of WDCs beaten over a season:

Button 2 (JV 2003, LH 2011)
Hamilton 2 (FA 2007, JB 2010)
Alonso 0
Vettel 0

;)

Just winding you up...

#11773 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:43

Number of WDCs beaten over a season:

Button 2 (JV 2003, LH 2011)
Hamilton 2 (FA 2007, JB 2010)
Alonso 0
Vettel 0

;)

Just winding you up...

what else? ;)

but that doesnt mean that a driver who became champion is per se stronger than a driver who never became champion.
and alonso has beaten hamilton 10-7 in races in 2007

Edited by YellowHelmet, 27 November 2011 - 15:45.

#11774 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,548 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 15:49

I think you're being a bit harsh here. Yellow Helmet might be a tad enthusiastic in his defense/praise of Fernando, but Trulli was a highly rated driver and has always been a master qualifier. Massa is the driver who "saw off" Kimi and who just missed out on his own WDC in 2008. As far as injury, he, his physicians and Ferrari say there are no lasting effects from his incident, but because he's being crushed, many "Doctors Without Degrees" appear. And Fisi (the "other" Italian. Does nationaility matter here?) had also been rated just a couple years before he and Fernando teamed up, as the best driver in F1. Here's a bit from his bio:

A Driver's Driver:

Giancarlo returned to Jordan for two seasons. During the second of those, in 2003, he scored his first victory, at the Brazilian Grand Prix. Although it was done after bad weather cut the race short and he happened to be leading at the time, his skills were not in doubt. Only months before that Giancarlo had been voted the best driver of 2002 by his fellow drivers. After a year at Sauber, the Italian finally made it in 2005 to the top team, Renault, that seemed to be the only factor missing from his career. Unfortunately, although he won a couple of races at Renault, he proved never to be up to his team mate Alonso, and then found himself with an uncompetitive car in 2007.

Some try to criticize Alonso as never having to face any quality drivers. The truth is that these drivers were highly rated until they came up against Fernando...then they conveniently were transformed into bums. He can never do well-enough for some, but his career does speak for itself. :cool:

#11775 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,663 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 17:40

Fantastic race, shame about the hardest tyre, it was like a rock. Great start and fantastic pass on Button and also great pace on the soft. We will have time to talk about the season but the fact he finished 4th in the WDC is pretty unfair, but life is not fair. Next year will be better.

#11776 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 17:47

Well Alonso again fought against all odds :up: , driving amazingly at the beginning, giving everything he has and building a 6 sec. gap to button, which just in 6 laps vanished on the hard tyres.

nevertheless he fought like a champion, passed like one and made us proud

Edited by YellowHelmet, 27 November 2011 - 17:53.

#11777 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,431 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 17:51

Gutted, Alonso couldn't have done any more today.

#11778 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 17:53

Gutted, Alonso couldn't have done any more today.

I'm just happy its over. This season has been a train wreck for Ferrari and Fernando, at least now we can start to put it behind us.

#11779 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 17:59

Alonso had a damn good year considering the situation with the car. Hopefully Ferrari can reward his effort with a competitive car in 2012.

Advertisement

#11780 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 18:07

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#11781 i.am.cloned

i.am.cloned

• 276 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 18:10

Pity he didn't manage 3rd in championship in the end but 4th is still better than the car/team this season. He did add his own extra something. Good luck next year!

#11782 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 18:11

thx for that :up:

a pass of a master :up:

#11783 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,768 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 19:03

there are some good points in it.

the only part to which i would not agree is that about alonso not being the fastest.
i think that no driver is faster right now than him.

Too bad that FA himself said in an interview that he may not be the fastest

#11784 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,548 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 19:10

Despite the equipment he had to work with, Fernando managed to OVER-DELIVER time and time again! His driving was a pleasure to watch this year! He even left us with that INCREDIBLE PASS on Button to enjoy during the winter! :clap:

Hopefully in 2012, the windtunnels will be properly calibrated, the tyres will get the proper temps and the strategy calls will be correct, so they will be fighting for victory from the off. He doesn't need the BEST car to win, just one that's a bit closer to the front.

To Ferrari and Fernando, THANKS! We know you can do better, and look forward to you showing us exactly HOW MUCH BETTER next year! :cool:

Edited by PoleMan, 27 November 2011 - 19:14.

#11785 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 19:11

Too bad that FA himself said in an interview that he may not be the fastest

please post it?

and please differ between fastest over one lap and over a race distance

#11786 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 19:18

It was equal pleasure and pain watching Alonso grab that car by the horns this year and deliver lap after lap, race after race.What a competitor.As much as I am a Ferrari fan,they have been really sh*t since 2008.They need to hit the ground next year because Alonso deserves a fast car.I can't believe I was what you would call an 'Alonso hater' till 2008.He really is the best out there.

#11787 Flamini

Flamini

• 799 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 19:21

Thank you for great season :up:

#11788 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,548 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 19:24

It was equal pleasure and pain watching Alonso grab that car by the horns this year and deliver lap after lap, race after race.What a competitor.As much as I am a Ferrari fan,they have been really sh*t since 2008.They need to hit the ground next year because Alonso deserves a fast car.I can't believe I was what you would call an 'Alonso hater' till 2008.He really is the best out there.

:up: :up: :up:
I think he has created Many more converts the past two years! :love:

Edited by PoleMan, 27 November 2011 - 19:29.

#11789 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,239 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 19:24

Despite the equipment he had to work with, Fernando managed to OVER-DELIVER time and time again! His driving was a pleasure to watch this year! He even left us with that INCREDIBLE PASS on Button to enjoy during the winter! :clap:

Hopefully in 2012, the windtunnels will be properly calibrated, the tyres will get the proper temps and the strategy calls will be correct, so they will be fighting for victory from the off. He doesn't need the BEST car to win, just one that's a bit closer to the front.

To Ferrari and Fernando, THANKS! We know you can do better, and look forward to you showing us exactly HOW MUCH BETTER next year! :cool:

You mean the one where JB was dodging the debris and had to let him through.

#11790 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,548 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 19:27

You mean the one where JB was dodging the debris and had to let him through.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :lol:

Yes, of course. That wasn't debris your eyes saw flying from underneath Alonso's car, as well. :kiss:

Edited by PoleMan, 27 November 2011 - 19:28.

#11791 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 19:55

Amazing :up:

#11792 redbarron

redbarron

• 299 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 20:04

I'm so disappointed he ended up 4th in the championship. Webber was gifted his win and 3rd today (i'm australian btw), and has been a donkey all year. Lets hope the last two years of disappointment can be changed next year, because Alonso is driving the best he ever has.

#11793 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,768 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 20:37

please post it?

and please differ between fastest over one lap and over a race distance

Sorry if I was too short and unclear: I assumed we were talking about one-lap pace. FWIW I am of the opinion that one of FA's greatest strengths is the relentlessness which which he can bang out fast laps one after the other. I am not so sure that he is that far off in one-lap pace either, and if he is, we should keep in mind that we are talking about some of the best drivers in the world and it's probably about a few hundredths on average. Neither do I know, obviously, whether he was just being humble in this interview, but I liked it very much as it finally showed a side of him that Autosport News likes to hide usually.

As it turned out I was unable to find the Autosport version where I had read it first; my internet speed is horrible currently. You should find it in the archives. In the interview he said that he may not be the ultimately fastest over a single lap, but that he has other qualities to make up for it. IIRC he emphasized consistency. Anyway here is a link to prove I didn't simply make it up :)
http://news.bbc.co.u...ams/7878982.stm
Maybe it makes up for it with a few funny FA quotes: "Who is the worst dressed Formula One driver?" - "Tonio Liuzzi." (I guess Schumacher was not back at the time)

#11794 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 20:50

Sorry if I was too short and unclear:I assumed we were talking about one-lap pace. FWIW I am of the opinion that one of FA's greatest strengths is the relentlessness which which he can bang out fast laps one after the other. I am not so sure that he is that far off in one-lap pace either, and if he is, we should keep in mind that we are talking about some of the best drivers in the world and it's probably about a few hundredths on average. Neither do I know, obviously, whether he was just being humble in this interview, but I liked it very much as it finally showed a side of him that Autosport News likes to hide usually.

As it turned out I was unable to find the Autosport version where I had read it first; my internet speed is horrible currently. You should find it in the archives. In the interview he said that he may not be the ultimately fastest over a single lap, but that he has other qualities to make up for it. IIRC he emphasized consistency. Anyway here is a link to prove I didn't simply make it up :)
http://news.bbc.co.u...ams/7878982.stm
Maybe it makes up for it with a few funny FA quotes: "Who is the worst dressed Formula One driver?" - "Tonio Liuzzi." (I guess Schumacher was not back at the time)

np,
thx for that link, almost forgot that interview  ;)

#11795 as65p

as65p

• 17,218 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 20:56

A pretty sweet parting present to close the 2011 chapter. :up:

#11796 Lights

Lights

• 9,323 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 21:00

As a fan of Jenson I was ofcourse cheering him on in the end to overtake Fernando, obviously a bit afraid they'd collide. Then I saw the standings and I just wished Button hadn't overtaken him. It's hard to compare Fernando's performance with Vettel's but they have been quite clearly the best 2 drivers this season, with Button in 3rd.

#11797 Devero

Devero

• 544 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 21:07

Thank you for great season :up:

:up:

Indeed

#11798 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 6,997 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 21:10

About Alonso being the best:

Today for whatever reason and only god knows why, Lauda said at RTL that Alonso is the best driver out there and repeating it with saying that alonso is the best of the best (including vettel, hamilton etc.)

i was astonished by that, normally he talks crap against alonso.
maybe that was just his lucid moment.

Very unusual from Niki. He hyped Fernando in 2001 ("best young driver to come in years") but then Alonso fell out of grace with Niki (probably for not respecting Lauda's majesty). All the more interesting that Niki has now returned to his original judgement on Alonso. And - he is right!

#11799 krea

krea

• 710 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 21:15

that was not what he said

Advertisement

#11800 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 21:18

that was not what he said

What exactly did he say ?