Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#11951 HPT

HPT

• 1,224 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 02:17

Right. Much hope indeed.
But for Alonso to win will be much harder 2012 than what it was 2011, because of Vettel, Button and Hamilton, and also Raikkonen, maybe the quickest driver ever, is here again.

And every team has new cars, built according to the new rules.

Are we still throwing around this myth? How can anyone claim that with a straight face is beyond me. Kimi, maybe the fastest driver ever, except the years he partnered Massa, the driver who was just as fast as the fastest driver ever, except when he started partnering Alonso, who trashed the equal fastest driver ever, may find a serious threat in the returning Kimi, who is the after all the fastest driver ever.

:drunk:

Advertisement

#11952 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:21

From thef1times, Who were the top 10 drivers of 2011?.

2. Fernando Alonso (WDC: 4th, Best finish: 1st in Britain)

On paper 2011 may have looked like a very poor season for Alonso, but considering his equipment it could also be described as one of his greatest.

Overall the F150º Italia was only ever the third quickest car in the field. Therefore to be in with a realistic chance for second place in the driver’s championship at the final race was a very impressive achievement. Throughout the season he has constantly out-driven the car, extracting every last possible drop of performance out of it.

Valencia was one of the tracks where Red Bull was most dominant. Despite this, Alonso did brilliantly to split the pair of them in the race and finish second. Pushing Button and Hamilton hard for victory in Japan and Abu Dhabi respectively was also mighty, especially as the development had stopped on the car by that point.

The German GP was another fine drive, when despite the cool conditions (which were tough for Ferrari with their tyre warm-up issues) he nearly managed to win the race.
Alonso's sole win came at Silverstone (© Ferrari)

Albeit helped by a mistake in the Red Bull pit box, Alonso’s victory at Silverstone was one of the most emphatic we saw from anyone during the season. If it wasn’t for the red flag he may well have won the Monaco GP, as he was pushing Vettel very hard on much fresher tyres.

Alonso was also very strong at Spa, coming back from 8th to get involved in the fight for race victory. If it hadn’t have been for a badly timed safety car he may have won there too.

He finished on the podium ten times during the season. Teammate Felipe Massa’s best finish was only fifth. It may well have been that Massa’s showings demonstrated the true performance of the Ferrari, therefore showing just what an incredible job Alonso managed to do.

It may seem unfair that Jenson didn’t get second on this list. However it was the fact that Alonso put his car in places where it didn’t deserve to be so regularly in races this year, that puts him ahead of the Brit.

If he had managed to win a couple more races it might have been enough to just pip Vettel to the top spot.

It’s amazing how much Alonso has achieved in his career, considering he has never had a car that has consistently been the best in the field.

#11953 topical

topical

• 2,301 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:02

Right. Much hope indeed.
But for Alonso to win will be much harder 2012 than what it was 2011, because of Vettel, Button and Hamilton, and also Raikkonen, maybe the quickest driver ever, is here again.

And every team has new cars, built according to the new rules.

Given their respective performances against Massa, plus the uncompetitive car he's likely to have, I really don't think Alonso is going to fear Raikkonen in 2012. But you can keep dreaming for 3 more months :rolleyes:

#11954 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:15

also Raikkonen, maybe the quickest driver ever

Do you believe that the fastest driver EVER would be outqualified more often than not by Alonso's and Schumi's bitch? That is so ridiculous that it is not funny :well:

#11955 spa08

spa08

• 615 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:01

even back then, there would be a difference. but the gap would be smaller.

So basically you are saying that Alonso, Hamilton and button would all dominate Felipe and Kimi in any car?

#11956 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:06

So basically you are saying that Alonso, Hamilton and button would all dominate Felipe and Kimi in any car?

i was just talking about alonso.

#11957 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:13

From thef1times, Who were the top 10 drivers of 2011?.

2. Fernando Alonso (WDC: 4th, Best finish: 1st in Britain)

On paper 2011 may have looked like a very poor season for Alonso, but considering his equipment it could also be described as one of his greatest.

Overall the F150º Italia was only ever the third quickest car in the field. Therefore to be in with a realistic chance for second place in the driver’s championship at the final race was a very impressive achievement. Throughout the season he has constantly out-driven the car, extracting every last possible drop of performance out of it.

Valencia was one of the tracks where Red Bull was most dominant. Despite this, Alonso did brilliantly to split the pair of them in the race and finish second. Pushing Button and Hamilton hard for victory in Japan and Abu Dhabi respectively was also mighty, especially as the development had stopped on the car by that point.

The German GP was another fine drive, when despite the cool conditions (which were tough for Ferrari with their tyre warm-up issues) he nearly managed to win the race.
Alonso's sole win came at Silverstone (© Ferrari)

Albeit helped by a mistake in the Red Bull pit box, Alonso’s victory at Silverstone was one of the most emphatic we saw from anyone during the season. If it wasn’t for the red flag he may well have won the Monaco GP, as he was pushing Vettel very hard on much fresher tyres.

Alonso was also very strong at Spa, coming back from 8th to get involved in the fight for race victory. If it hadn’t have been for a badly timed safety car he may have won there too.

He finished on the podium ten times during the season. Teammate Felipe Massa’s best finish was only fifth. It may well have been that Massa’s showings demonstrated the true performance of the Ferrari, therefore showing just what an incredible job Alonso managed to do.

It may seem unfair that Jenson didn’t get second on this list. However it was the fact that Alonso put his car in places where it didn’t deserve to be so regularly in races this year, that puts him ahead of the Brit.

If he had managed to win a couple more races it might have been enough to just pip Vettel to the top spot.

It’s amazing how much Alonso has achieved in his career, considering he has never had a car that has consistently been the best in the field.

a very emphatic way to describe the season of alonso.
somehow i liked it.

the only problem what i got with this is the part regarding managing a couple of wins more.
he already described the circumstances and how alonso mastered it, and still he thinks that alonso could have done even more?
that is ridiculous.
nothing against vettel, but what vettel did, schumacher already made even better in maybe a less overall faster car than vettel had.
but what alonso achieved in that ferrari this season, is one of the greatest achievements in motorsport history.

someone called it (cant remember anymore who), something like a "unnoticed or anonymous masterpiece" and exactly that Alonso had made.

In the eyes of a casual vettel may have been more impressive, but in the eyes of a racing purist, alonsos achievement this year was not yet surpassed by any other driver in the history of motorracing.

thank you alonso for this masterpiece.
even if you win maybe 4-5 or more titles, 2011 will be the year i will always remember as the most outstanding performance of all time.
thanks god i have the whole seasons recorded.;)

@ kosmos: thank you for that article :up:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 09 December 2011 - 13:39.

#11958 Outsider

Outsider

• 495 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:34

even if you win maybe 4-5 or more titles, 2012 will be the year i will always remember as the most outstanding performance of all time.
thanks god i have the whole seasons recorded.;)

2011 you mean?

#11959 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 13:39

2011 you mean?

yes, thank you :up:

Advertisement

#11960 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 13:18

Fernando waiting 2012......

we too :smoking:

#11961 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 11 December 2011 - 14:23

Fernando waiting 2012......

we too :smoking:

I don't wanna be harsh but man, If you don't have anything to say or anything to bring the table, don't use this thread as your fanwork thread, there are other places for this kind of stuff, like safety-car.

#11962 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 07:17

A new interview from some days ago (at least published some days ago).

http://www.nytimes.c...a...nted=1&_r=2

I like this part:

Drivers always do mistakes, but this year I tried to improve the biggest mistakes that I did last year, and I tried to do only small mistakes this year that people don’t see.

I think that it is not possible to be in another place than Ferrari; any move after that is a step backward. And I won two championships, I won 27 Formula One Grands Prix, and I like this team. I like their way of thinking, and the Italian and the Spanish, we are quite similar in the way of culture, sense of humor. There are many things that make me feel at home here. I signed a contract until 2016 and I will be 35 years old then, so maybe that’s the right moment to retire. Maybe not. But if it is not the right moment, and I have the possibility to keep driving for Ferrari then I will do it. But if I don’t have that possibility, that moment will be a good moment to retire.

Let's hope he is on top of his game by 2016 and the car is good, this way probably we will enjoy Alonso's driving for more years.

#11963 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:10

I like this part:

Let's hope he is on top of his game by 2016 and the car is good, this way probably we will enjoy Alonso's driving for more years.

I see Alonso driving a Ferrari after 2016, if they have a strong car! F1 is great part of the spaniards life. And if he feel good and see the chance still to win races and titels he will not stop driving!

#11964 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:36

I don't wanna be harsh but man, If you don't have anything to say or anything to bring the table, don't use this thread as your fanwork thread, there are other places for this kind of stuff, like safety-car.

Come on, don't be that ass-tight, it's the interseason, we have 4 long months of time for some entertainment...

#11965 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,443 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:45

In that case someone should make a topic just for fan material, I too do not like to see thread and discussion space wasted on this offtopic stuff. GIFs and JPEGs fine but please, I'd like you to go somewhere else with it.

#11966 Jejking

Jejking

• 2,443 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 09:52

And done: http://forums.autosp...howtopic=158692

#11967 ghost

ghost

• 59 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 10:26

The picture's caption says:

'The Ferrari teammates Fernando Alonso of Spain, left, and Felipe Massa of Brazil celebrated Alonso's 100th Grand Prix race at the Interlagos track in Brazil in November. ' :lol:

#11968 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 15 December 2011 - 17:46

AUTOSPORT TEAM PRINCIPALS' TOP TEN - 2011 RESULTS

1. Vettel 241 UP 1
2. Button 200 UP 4
3. Alonso 188 DOWN 2
4. Hamilton 122 DOWN 1
5. Rosberg 90 UP 2
6. Webber 70 DOWN 2
7. Di Resta 44 NEW ENTRY
8. Sutil 38 RE-ENTRY FROM 2009
9. Kovalainen 26 RE-ENTRY FROM 2008
10. Schumacher 23 NEW ENTRY

#11969 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,459 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 03:27

I honestly don't see how Button can be rated above Alonso after his lackluster first half but I am biased.

#11970 HPT

HPT

• 1,224 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:03

I honestly don't see how Button can be rated above Alonso after his lackluster first half but I am biased.

Think you just answered your own question :)

But anyway, I agree with you. But like you, I'm also biased. Haha!

#11971 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:33

The only way you can say that Button has done better than Alonso this year is if you take into account victories in my opinion.

Mark Hughes has voted Alonso 3rd too. this is what he have to said:

Fernando Alonso

Ferrari, he could never be discounted.
If there was a chink of daylight he'd be
through it, and he carried this team as a
true and inspirational leader. He spends
more time at Maranello than even Michael
Schumacher used to and he backs up his
assumption of leadership with delivery of
the goods on the track. The Ferrari was
often a respectably good car on Sunday with
its light tyre usage bringing it strongly into
play by the end of the stints, but usually this
could be used only to reclaim the ground
lost early in the stints - and its qualifying
de?cit left him starting from too far back.
He did a couple of ‘miracle’ qualifying
laps - in Barcelona and Singapore - and
followed that up in Spain with a stunner of
a start that took him to the front. He was a
lapped ?fth by the end... But at Silverstone,
through a combination of factors, the car was
right in the ballpark and it would actually
have been surprising had he not then
delivered the sure-footed victory he did.
That's how much of a gold standard he is.

Fernando is going to take part for the third time in a charity race event in his town, Oviedo.

Info about the race here: https://www.cajastur...omocion456.html

Some pics from last year.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#11972 Aieljose

Aieljose

• 676 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:43

I think that poll is about which driver impressed the most not which performed the best. If so i can definitly see why button is rated ahead but to say he performed better than alonso makes no sense to me. The mp4-26 was better than the f150 all year with exception of maybe 2 races so the fact that alonso finished so close to button speaks for itself.

#11973 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 05:16

Posted Image

More here http://motorsport.ne...mas-18dec-1.php from Ferrari Christmas party.

#11974 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 08:31

Copied over from Ferarri 2012 thread.

And Alonso was spared from this explosion only beacuse he was granted inmunity.

What individuals were punished? Even the two who actually participated in the exchange of information escaped actual sanction (other than losing their jobs, which also happened Alonso, but not de la Rosa). It seems Alonso knew about the information, as did Pedro de la Rosa. That being the case, I cannot but believe that many other McLaren employees were aware of it. Mike Coughlan is now back in F1. As is de la Rosa.

This was a McLaren problem and a Ferrari problem, not something a driver could be held responsible for. It does not seem that Ferrari hold it against him.

To try to get back on topic, Ferrari have benefitted from Spygate by acquiring Alonso who might otherwise be happily ensconced in one of the McLarens.

Feeble attempt at spinning and disinformation.

Which part is wrong?

#11975 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:43

Madrid's Community Award (right now):

http://lockerz.com/s/166212557

http://lockerz.com/s/166214198

http://lockerz.com/s/166213419

Courtesy: Rafa Fernández

#11976 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 10:52

Here's a better picture of the event. I'm sure there will be a video later.
MM

#11977 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:07

Another pic:

http://img809.images.../1282/famca.jpg

#11978 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 11:08

You know i'm a Lewis Hamilton fan and turned against Alonso after 2007, evenso though it would be a travesty if such a fine driver never won the WDC for Ferrari, its not something i would wish. Lets hope the Red Bull does not produce another dominate car next year and both Ferrari and McLaren can challenge for honours.

#11979 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 13:33

It looks like today is a day for many news.

Alonso jokes as Webber wins FIA ’prize’

Mark Webber has revealed he had mixed feelings when he beat Fernando Alonso to third place in the 2011 constructors’ standings.

The pair, who are friends, lead similarly guarded private lives, so in the closing stages of the championship they considered the ’prize’ that went along with pipping the other to the post for third place.

"Only the top three drivers have to go", said Australian Webber, referring to the official FIA prize-giving gala, which was held recently in India.

"Jenson, Fernando and I had had a bit of a joke on the drivers’ parade before the final race of the season in Brazil last month.

"We were all keen to improve our championship positions, but none of us were that up for any extra travel," he wrote in his last BBC column for the year.

"In the end, I won in Brazil, relegating Fernando to fourth. He’s an intense competitor but I don’t think he was that unhappy about losing out by one point," said Webber.

"I got a text message from him the day before I was going to India, reminding me that I had to go. It was along the lines of ’This is your captain speaking, your flight is ready for boarding’. It made me smile."

http://motorsport.ne...rize,34935.html

Love this two :rotfl:

COOPER: Ferrari Celebrates, Looks Ahead

But this year Ferrari was way off, because the car simply wasn’t good enough. Alonso managed to secure one win at Silverstone – on the weekend that exhaust blowing was restricted by the FIA – but elsewhere, he was rarely even within a sniff of victory.

And yet for many people he was one of the drivers of the season. He never gave up, and despite demonstrating that he had the third best car by qualifying fifth time after time, he managed to score a remarkable 10 podiums.

It’s no great surprise that Alonso has so successfully integrated himself with the team. Indeed, I always thought he should have gone to Italy for 2007 instead of Raikkonen, although when I suggested that at the time of Kimi’s announcement, Jean Todt and Ross Brawn said that the Spaniard hadn’t even been on their radar. Instead Ron Dennis pounced.

Full article. http://formula-one.s...ooks-ahead//P2/

Advertisement

#11980 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 14:09

Copied over from Ferarri 2012 thread.

"What individuals were punished? Even the two who actually participated in the exchange of information escaped actual sanction (other than losing their jobs, which also happened Alonso, but not de la Rosa). It seems Alonso knew about the information, as did Pedro de la Rosa. That being the case, I cannot but believe that many other McLaren employees were aware of it. Mike Coughlan is now back in F1. As is de la Rosa.

This was a McLaren problem and a Ferrari problem, not something a driver could be held responsible for. It does not seem that Ferrari hold it against him.

To try to get back on topic, Ferrari have benefitted from Spygate by acquiring Alonso who might otherwise be happily ensconced in one of the McLarens."

Which part is wrong?

All of it is wrong.

1- Nigel Stepney and Mike Coughlan were punished with a two years ban from motorsports. They didn't escape anything.
2- Alonso didn't loose his job. He wanted out and Ron complied.
3- It doesn't seem that Alonso knew about the information. There are proof that he not only knew about, but was trying to use it.
4- You can believe what you want about others being involved at McLaren but the FIA only had proof of the involvement on 4 of them(de la Rosa, Stepmey, Coughlan and Alonso) Two were punished and two were not.

These are well known facts.

#11981 Eden

Eden

• 49 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 15:11

It looks like today is a day for many news.

Alonso jokes as Webber wins FIA ’prize’

http://motorsport.ne...rize,34935.html

Love this two :rotfl:

COOPER: Ferrari Celebrates, Looks Ahead

Full article. http://formula-one.s...ooks-ahead//P2/

Funny how Todt suggested that Alonso had never ever been in their radal taking into account Todt aproached Alonso during his Minardi days. And as Alonso didn't want to stab Minardi (as this guy was who gave him his first chance in F1) Todt got butthurt from those days on.

#11982 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 17:46

All of it is wrong.

1- Nigel Stepney and Mike Coughlan were punished with a two years ban from motorsports. They didn't escape anything.

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/73154

"Although the governing body could not impose formal punishment against the pair over their involvement in the 2007 spy case between McLaren and Ferrari, it did recommend to its licence holders that they should be wary of working with either of them until July 2009."

They lost their jobs, which is what I said. The FIA has no power to ban them.

2- Alonso didn't loose his job. He wanted out and Ron complied.

Mutual consent was the official line:
http://news.bbc.co.u...one/7074737.stm

He did not want out.
http://www.guardian....torsports.sport

Have you any source for your assertion to the contrary?

3- It doesn't seem that Alonso knew about the information. There are proof that he not only knew about, but was trying to use it.

Pointless statement. We all know that Alonso knew.

4- You can believe what you want about others being involved at McLaren but the FIA only had proof of the involvement on 4 of them(de la Rosa, Stepmey, Coughlan and Alonso) Two were punished and two were not.

These are well known facts.

Only one did not lose their job. His involvement was exactly the same as Alonso's.

#11983 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 18:29

i have a questions

why alonso grow his beard in the winter ?

#11984 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 18:40

i have a questions

Because it's colder in the winter ?

#11985 showtime

showtime

• 2,669 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 18:41

i have a questions

It's cold in winter!

#11986 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 19:00

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/73154

"Although the governing body could not impose formal punishment against the pair over their involvement in the 2007 spy case between McLaren and Ferrari, it did recommend to its licence holders that they should be wary of working with either of them until July 2009."

They lost their jobs, which is what I said. The FIA has no power to ban them.

Sure, the FIA recommended the ban and everybody folowed suit. Not a ban at all.

Mutual consent was the official line:
http://news.bbc.co.u...one/7074737.stm

He did not want out.
http://www.guardian....torsports.sport

You know what I realized here; you are trying to argue here that Alonso lost his job because of his involvement in the spygate scandal, which is even more ludicrous than to say he was fired.

Pointless statement. We all know that Alonso knew.

Since you said it seems he knew about it, no, not pointless at all.

Only one did not lose their job. His involvement was exactly the same as Alonso's.

Which begs the question. If Alonso lost his job because of spygate why didn't de la Rosa loose his ?

If you want to argue with the facts, go right ahead. But I'm afraid you'll have to do it by yourself.

#11987 metz

metz

• 9,827 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 19:05

Which begs the question. If Alonso lost his job because of spygate why didn't de la Rosa loose his ?

If you want to argue with the facts, go right ahead. But I'm afraid you'll have to do it by yourself.

De La Rosa got immunity from Max, as promissed.
But your overall position on the Alonso matter is correct.

#11988 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 19:17

ALONSO get his price in madrid.....

#11989 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 19:34

Sure, the FIA recommended the ban and everybody folowed suit. Not a ban at all.

It was not a ban. I provided a link. Fact (as you like to say).

You know what I realized here; you are trying to argue here that Alonso lost his job because of his involvement in the spygate scandal, which is even more ludicrous than to say he was fired.

No, I did not say why Alonso was sacked (or claim that it was certain he was). I simply contradicted your statement that it was he who wanted to leave McLaren. I asked you for a link to support what you called a fact but you have not provided one.

Since you said it seems he knew about it, no, not pointless at all.

Utterly pointless. No-one is arguing about whether Alonso knew. He admitted it. You are interpreting the word "seems" incorrectly.

Since I did not say that Alonso lost his job because of having knowledge of and participating in Spygate, this is a red herring. It was I that mentioned de la Rosa for this exact reason. Having knowledge of and participating in Spygatewas not a firing offence.

Your statements are not facts.

#11990 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 19:36

De La Rosa got immunity from Max, as promissed.

This did not mean that Ron Dennis and McLaren had to keep him. Yet, they have been very loyal to him in the years since.

#11991 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 19:41

i have a questions

I haven't seen him with a beard this winter (at least, nothing like last year)

Anyway, for those who haven't seen this photo yet: It's Hilarious

Posted Image

The 3 Kings

Edited by Smile17, 19 December 2011 - 19:43.

#11992 metz

metz

• 9,827 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 19:47

This did not mean that Ron Dennis and McLaren had to keep him. Yet, they have been very loyal to him in the years since.

How would it look if they fired him for co-operating with the FIA?
Yes, they've been very loyal, although he's left them twice since.

#11993 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 19:58

I haven't seen him with a beard this winter (at least, nothing like last year)

Anyway, for those who haven't seen this photo yet: It's Hilarious

Posted Image

The 3 Kings

The Three Wise Men in English  ;)
How are they going to explain the kids who already got presents today that the Three Wise Men are coming twice this Christmas? Posted Image

#11994 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 20:45

What individuals were punished? Even the two who actually participated in the exchange of information escaped actual sanction (other than losing their jobs, which also happened Alonso, but not de la Rosa).

No, I did not say why Alonso was sacked (or claim that it was certain he was).

#11995 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 20:45

How would it look if they fired him for co-operating with the FIA?
Yes, they've been very loyal, although he's left them twice since.

I take your point, but I still think that they could have easily not taken him back after he went to Sauber without any eyebrows being raised. They obviously don't have any problem with him, and must actually value him quite highly.

#11996 garoidb

garoidb

• 4,083 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 21:08

Alonso lost his contract with McLaren. I think he was sacked, but the official line is mutual consent (see my earlier links). You claim he wanted to be released. I asked you for a source. You provided none.

Now, thank you for reposting my original sentence. The full version is below. To develop the point I was trying to make, no individual has suffered any punishment over and above the natural consequences from their employer and to their future employment prospects of their actions becoming known.

Simply
- Nigel Stepney became unemployable in F1 because he betrayed his team. I doubt he will be back. No FIA warning or ban would make any difference.
- Mike Coughlan was damaged goods for a while. It was announced in March 2008 that he had been fired by McLaren. He was hired by Williams in May 2011, well after the July 2009 date instigated by Mosely.
- Fernando Alonso had two years at Renault, but was signed by Ferrari (!) at the earliest opportunity. They even paid off the 2007 WDC to pave the way for this.
- Pedro de la Rosa has come and gone at McLaren but seems to valued and respected there.

Obviously, careers have been damaged through the disclosure of unethical activities, but no individual has suffered any formal punishment beyond this. Rightly so, in my opinion.

What individuals were punished? Even the two who actually participated in the exchange of information escaped actual sanction (other than losing their jobs, which also happened Alonso, but not de la Rosa). It seems Alonso knew about the information, as did Pedro de la Rosa. That being the case, I cannot but believe that many other McLaren employees were aware of it. Mike Coughlan is now back in F1. As is de la Rosa.

To try to get back on topic, Ferrari have benefitted from Spygate by acquiring Alonso who might otherwise be happily ensconced in one of the McLarens.

#11997 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 21:34

Because it's colder in the winter ?

i want funnier answer

#11998 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast
  • Paddock Club Host

• 4,554 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 22:18

i want funnier answer

His pet hamster needs somewhere to hibernate?

#11999 TeamSideways

TeamSideways

• 647 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 22:44

His pet hamster needs somewhere to hibernate?

yes that's what i am talking about :clap:

Advertisement

#12000 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:52

FA, yesterday:" I have dinner at engineers' and technicians' homes, I play football with them and I care about their lives. It is important to remain united. And I love to be there in Maranello, because you can always test street cars."

Edited by jetalt, 20 December 2011 - 10:53.