Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#12601 Devero

Devero

• 544 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:33

vettel threw away two race wins.
nurburgring/hungary (counting for a half each) and canada.
i think, that with that car and under the given circumstances vettel had missed some opportunities to brake records (other than qualy).

China as well. The botched start and inability to regain 1st position forced Red Bull to employ too risky 2-stop strategy.

Advertisement

#12602 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:38

When you start nitpicking at Vettel's performances like this it shows that he couldn't have done much better...

#12603 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:44

When you start nitpicking at Vettel's performances like this it shows that he couldn't have done much better...

not logical :drunk: , but okay.

he threw away some race wins in the most dominant car (or one of the most dominant cars) in the history of this sport, and thats why alonsos performance in his not competitive car was far more impressive.

#12604 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,890 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 10:58

he threw away some race wins in the most dominant car (or one of the most dominant cars) in the history of this sport, and thats why alonsos performance in his not competitive car was far more impressive.

Alonso had a stunning season but to call it the greatest of all time is ridiculous at best.

Also you believe that Vettel threw race wins away at the Nurburgring and the Hungaroring when it was not the case. At the Nurburgring the Red Bull clearly wasn't the best car and if we are going to hold Vettel to such high standards at the Hungaroring then it could be said that Alonso also threw away a race win with his horrible start, his excursion off the track while on Button's tail early in the race. Hell he even spun when he was hunting Vettel down later in the race.

#12605 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 15:39

Alonso had a stunning season but to call it the greatest of all time is ridiculous at best.

Also you believe that Vettel threw race wins away at the Nurburgring and the Hungaroring when it was not the case. At the Nurburgring the Red Bull clearly wasn't the best car and if we are going to hold Vettel to such high standards at the Hungaroring then it could be said that Alonso also threw away a race win with his horrible start, his excursion off the track while on Button's tail early in the race. Hell he even spun when he was hunting Vettel down later in the race.

i called it the greatest under the given circumstances, and how alonso fought like a lion in a not competitive car against drivers in much stronger cars till the end for the second place in the championship.

about vettel: i didnt come up with him, but as someone came up with it, i articulated, why i think alonsos 2011 season was more impressive than vettels.

about you calling it ridiculous: who gives a damn :down:

#12606 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,450 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 16:46

Yes agreed. It's not even an opinion as far I am concerned. Calling it the greatest of all time is like saying you are not in touch with reality.

#12607 HPT

HPT

• 1,159 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 17:15

Is this a publicity shot?
Perhaps I'm wrong but I don't remember any public photoshoots with his ex-wife. He kept his relationship quite hidden then. I wonder why he changed his "policy" all of a sudden ...

The article claims that the girl posted the pics on Facebook so I guess someone took them from there.

#12608 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 18:29

Adam Cooper -
Just said hello Fernando Alonso, he seems pretty chilled and is raring to go tomorrow.

#12609 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,662 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:09

First day of testing, let's hope everything works great and at the end of the day he gives the team postive feedback.

#12610 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:19

:up:

#12611 gillesthegenius

gillesthegenius

• 2,534 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 08:20

How long do you think the history of this sport stretches back to? 3 years? 4 years? Or 5 years?;)

#12612 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 09:45

Interesting passing comment by Bouillier on FA:

Kimi is not the political person that Fernando was, but Kimi is like a rock – an icy rock – so don’t expect any warmth!

http://krspace.wordp...-joining-lotus/

How political is he actually?

#12613 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:15

How could Boullier know? He never worked with Alonso - hey, he even wasn't part of the F1 world before he took over Renault! By that time Alonso had already left the team, and Boullier was trying to make sure that all the blame on the Singapore scandal was removed from what was left of the team and placed solely on those who left - none of whom he had worked with.

Now, if you read the whole article he attacks Alonso to justify why he (Boullier) fired Grosjean when he took over Renault (Grosjean "did not perform" and was "destroyed" after his stance at Renault) and hence to justify why it is a good move for him, Boullier, to bring Grosjean back now. Interestingly, his comments are quite different to what Grosjean himself, or even Piquet Sr, said about his relationship with Alonso. But hey, we are sure that Boullier knows better despite never having been around the Renault box at that time ;)

http://www.thenation...-grosjean#page2
"Grosjean enjoys a close relationship with Alonso: the pair live nearby in Switzerland and catch up whenever they have the opportunity away from race weekends.
And Grosjean was quick to praise the Spaniard for his role in easing him into the team. He said: "He is a great champion - maybe the best driver in Formula One and it's a great opportunity for me to work with him for the rest of the season. We get on well and we meet up when we're both free and he says I can ask him anything if I have any questions or need advice."

By the way, I need to confirm this point but I have read on BBC Sport that Grosjean is now managed by Boullier. D'Ambrosio was managed by Boullier too when he got the role of third driver at Renault in 2010. Now which other Renault manager had the tendency to give driving seats to the guys he managed?

To me Boullier simply seems to have joined the wagon of those blaming Alonso for everything under the sun... while trying to present himself in the nicest light possible. But I don't buy it ;)

Edited by Fontainebleau, 09 February 2012 - 10:34.

#12614 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,662 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:29

It's not interesting, Buillier for some reason has always hated or disliked Alonso, he is using his feelings toward Alonso to make Kimi (his main driver) look good, not that he need it anyway.

Edited by kosmos, 09 February 2012 - 10:33.

#12615 as65p

as65p

• 17,213 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:34

Well, Boullier wouldn't know the answer any better than you or me, because during Alonsos times at Renault he had as much connection to the team as you or me. :)

#12616 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:49

To me Boullier simply seems to have joined the wagon of those blaming Alonso for everything under the sun... while trying to present himself in the nicest light possible. But I don't buy it ;)

Who is Boullier para hablar de Alonso? :rolleyes:

#12617 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:39

I hope Alonso is very political!

Why?
Because for me the word political isnt per se a negatvie word.
political means: "Politics (from Greek πολιτικός, "of, for, or relating to citizens") is a process by which groups of people make collective decisions."
look here for example.

And yes Alonso is a very social person (not an egoist who exludes himself from collective decision making processes) who likes to take part in collective decision making processes. :up:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 09 February 2012 - 11:43.

#12618 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 12:29

Fernando today in Jerez.

High Res--> http://www.formula1....dcd1209fe35.jpg

#12619 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,662 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 15:19

Some pics from today.

Posted Image

more.

This is better than his usual "ugly" cap.

Advertisement

#12620 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 16:23

How could Boullier know? He never worked with Alonso - hey, he even wasn't part of the F1 world before he took over Renault! By that time Alonso had already left the team..

Boullier doesn't need to work with Alonso to know if he's political or not. He might not have been part of the F1 world, but he had closer links to it than you and me.

I hope Alonso is very political!

Why?
Because for me the word political isnt per se a negatvie word.
political means: "Politics (from Greek πολιτικός, "of, for, or relating to citizens") is a process by which groups of people make collective decisions."
look here for example.

And yes Alonso is a very social person (not an egoist who exludes himself from collective decision making processes) who likes to take part in collective decision making processes. :up:

That is not what Boullier meant by 'political'. And I agree that it's not necessarily negative, but nowadays it's not really seen as something positive.

This is better than his usual "ugly" cap.

This is by far the worst...

#12621 AlexS

AlexS

• 2,468 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 16:26

Boullier doesn't need to work with Alonso to know if he's political or not. He might not have been part of the F1 world, but he had closer links to it than you and me.

That is not what Boullier meant by 'political'. And I agree that it's not necessarily negative, but nowadays it's not really seen as something positive.

This is by far the worst...

is a process by which groups of people make collective decisions.

To enforce to those that don't want them.

#12622 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,393 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 16:42

Boullier is really annoying. He always uses Alonso to talk up his new driver. He did it whith Kubica and is doing it again with Kimi.
He should wash his mouth before talking about Alonso, one of the men responsible of winning 4 WC for that team, which will be probably 4 more than he´ll achieve when he finishes his contract with Renault.

#12623 Architrion

Architrion

• 125 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 16:47

Boullier is really annoying. He always uses Alonso to talk up his new driver. He did it whith Kubica and is doing it again with Kimi.
He should wash his mouth before talking about Alonso, one of the men responsible of winning 4 WC for that team, which will be probably 4 more than he´ll achieve when he finishes his contract with Renault.

POST OF THE YEAR!!

#12624 MarioKart

MarioKart

• 142 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 16:49

In other words, he judges a person through hearsay instead of getting to know said person and forming an independent opinion.

If I use the same stick of measurement ( Interviews, articles and hearsey etc) on Boullier and judge his actions - he seems like the successor of a B(riat)ore . :stoned:

#12625 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,032 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 19:04

Speak for yourself :p  ;) Seriously though, I do happen to have some friends who have been first-hand involved with F1, and known Alonso, for a much longer time that Boullier has. But no, they have not given me the answers to all the big questions we have about what has been happening in F1 over the last few years, despite my attempts to extract that information from them. :)

But in any case, Boullier having closer links to F1 than you and me still means zilch when it comes to giving him any credibility when he talks about how Renault F1 used to work prior to Genii taking over - he was not there, and if he were honest he should start his comments with "I have heard that..." or "I understand from what other people have told me..." rather than portraying himself as having some type of first-hand inside knowledge.

#12626 hammibal

hammibal

• 1,857 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 20:49

vettel threw away two race wins.
nurburgring/hungary (counting for a half each) and canada.
i think, that with that car and under the given circumstances vettel had missed some opportunities to brake records (other than qualy).

The Red Bull was the best car but there have been more dominating cars, there's no proof whatsoever that Alonso drove better than Vettel, both did well in the cars they were given

#12627 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 21:11

Speak for yourself :p ;) Seriously though, I do happen to have some friends who have been first-hand involved with F1, and known Alonso, for a much longer time that Boullier has. But no, they have not given me the answers to all the big questions we have about what has been happening in F1 over the last few years, despite my attempts to extract that information from them. :)

But in any case, Boullier having closer links to F1 than you and me still means zilch when it comes to giving him any credibility when he talks about how Renault F1 used to work prior to Genii taking over - he was not there, and if he were honest he should start his comments with "I have heard that..." or "I understand from what other people have told me..." rather than portraying himself as having some type of first-hand inside knowledge.

To make things short, what I want to say is that some people can just see through things. It's not (all) about inside knowledge etc. You don't have to be there to know what's going on. I'm not saying Boullier is right or wrong btw. Apart from that, comments can be misleading sometimes.

#12628 DrF

DrF

• 1,427 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 21:18

Ask Ron Dennis.

#12629 Owen

Owen

• 10,473 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:28

a bit unfortunate :blush:
http://www.thesun.co...scort-site.html

#12630 holiday

holiday

• 3,473 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:42

Ask Ron Dennis.

I have great respect for RD, one of the faces of f1, but he has made himself believe so much his own party prop line that McLaren always gives its drivers equality that I don't consider him anywhere near unbiased in this matter.

#12631 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,662 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 09:48

Nobody cares about his girlfriend or his private life, the ones that care go to the right places to read that kind of info, please avoid posting this kind of things here, thank you :)

#12632 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:00

Ask Ron Dennis.

why ask a dictator about a collective decision making process :drunk:

#12633 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 10:21

Nobody cares about his girlfriend or his private life, the ones that care go to the right places to read that kind of info, please avoid posting this kind of things here, thank you :)

There are some who do care about that, this is only your opinion. Anyway, I do agree that what Owen posted doesn't belong here. It's pure crap.

#12634 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 21:12

Alonso: "What is certain is the day that I have a girlfriend my true friends and my family will definitely not be posting photos on the internet."

#12635 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,922 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 21:27

Are you kidding? Everyone up and down the pitlane couldn't fault Vettel, he was the best driver by miles and won more races/poles than Alonso in his WDC years. Alonso may of had a few good races in the Ferrari but you are blind and a true fanboy if you think that Alonso was better than Vettel in 2011. :rotfl: You are free to think Alonso overall is the better driver, but performance wise last season Alonso got owned by Vettel. Vettel blew the barn doors off Webber, and Alonso got outraced and outqualified by Massa too many times.

That is the best laugh of the day, get some obscure race performances (which ones by the way?) and elevate them above Vettel's win/pole/domination of 2011.

Edited by F1Champion, 10 February 2012 - 21:31.

#12636 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,662 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 05:16

There are some who do care about that

Then maybe they are in the wrong place. Forums > Racing Comments > Fernando Alonso Thread

A small video from yesterdays press conference.

http://www.skysports...1,12602,00.html

edit:

ok I found the press conference, almost 7 minutes but in spanish.

Edited by kosmos, 11 February 2012 - 05:27.

#12637 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:55

why is the old thread on again?

anyway:
thx kosmos for the videos :up:

#12638 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,662 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:09

why is the old thread on again?

I asked Buttoner to merge it with the new one, the one that originally was Alonso in 2012 and renamed as Fernando Alonso Thread, I think it makes more sense to keep discussing in the old thread, we don't need a new topic every season.

#12639 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 23:31

Alonso about to join twitter?

Translation - "Dining with a (near) future twitterer"

https://twitter.com/#!/raqueldlrosario/...2609152/photo/1

Posted Image

Edited by olliek88, 11 February 2012 - 23:34.

Advertisement

#12640 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 00:06

Weird :drunk:

#12641 as65p

as65p

• 17,213 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 00:10

This the best part:

The 30-year-old double world champion was not available for comment today.

Or yesterday. Or tomorrow. Or.... ever (on this kind of stuff). :drunk:

#12642 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,585 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 00:22

Weird :drunk:

Donno what's weirder.. that Alonso might join twitter or he's having casual dinner with his ex wife? Is he's fake girlfriend taking the photo, to complete the circle of weirdness? :stoned:

On a serious note thought Ferrari didn't allow the drivers to join twitter

#12643 DrF

DrF

• 1,427 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 04:40

why ask a dictator about a collective decision making process :drunk:

Ask Massa.

#12644 NJB13

NJB13

• 157 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 05:02

Ah yes, the Sun, ever enhancing the British media's reputation and credentials :drunk:

#12645 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:11

Donno what's weirder.. that Alonso might join twitter or he's having casual dinner with his ex wife? Is he's fake girlfriend taking the photo, to complete the circle of weirdness? :stoned:

On a serious note thought Ferrari didn't allow the drivers to join twitter

Haha, it's all pretty weird to be honest. They were reportedly seen kissing too, didn't look like friends to some.

Anyway, I don't think Ferrari will find it a problem.

#12646 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:58

http://www.formula1....ms1209fe293.jpg

#12647 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,585 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:03

Awesome pic :up:

#12648 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 11:20

Alonso overtake in Jerez.......

#12649 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:01

Alonso in Ferrari video

What a pain that I can't understand italian....... ):

#12650 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,662 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 13:38

Alonso in Ferrari video

What a pain that I can't understand italian....... ):

Thanks for this, there is some stuff that I never saw. It goes from 4°Vol - 1di5 to 4°Vol - 5di5, basically is the story of Fernando plus the 2010 season review. Alonso winning in Imola 2005 with one less cylinder was so epic.