Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#12851 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,190 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 18:45

The number of world championships doesn't define how good a driver is IMO.

It doesn´t if you watched the guys race.

When time passes, and lots of new fans come, previous seasons performances don´t mean anything for them. There´s only stats.

It´s sad, but with time it gets like that.

Advertisement

#12852 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 18:54

The number of world championships doesn't define how good a driver is IMO.

To one degree you are right but thoose things are the matter of objectives. Fernando has two and so does Seb, probably Seb will get his third this year. And I´m sorry for the Ham fans, hard factrs will rule when we look back.

Even I don´t like this, because I think Kimi is the best driver out there, but that´s my subjective feelings.

Edited by tommyhjortasen, 25 February 2012 - 18:55.

#12853 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,575 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 18:58

To one degree you are right but thoose things are subjective. Fernando has two and so does Seb, probably Seb will get his third this year. And I´m sorry for the Ham fans, hard factrs will rule when we look back.

Don't feel sorry for Hamilton and his fans. He's proven how good he is in the past and if he doesn't win a WDC this year, there are the years beyond. No driver is going to win every year and personally I will not look back and count championships to boost some false sense of superiority in supporting a driver. Drivers need the full package at the end of the day and it would be fickle to expect it year after year. Patience is a virtue.

#12854 krea

krea

• 710 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 20:07

first of all Hamilton should beat his teammate before we are talking about other WDC titles.

#12855 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 20:15

first of all Hamilton should beat his teammate before we are talking about other WDC titles.

Let's not talk about Lewis at all in this thread. It's for Fernando. Speaking of, check out the power slide at 0.44 in the video

#12856 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,575 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 20:22

And theres no reason why he won't.

#12857 Mauseri

Mauseri

• 7,506 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 20:36

If it is needed he adapts his driving style ad hoc even to a broken gear-system as he did in malaysia 2010.

Huh. Never seen another driver bringing an breaking car home in good position?

#12858 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,431 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:42

Let's not talk about Lewis at all in this thread. It's for Fernando. Speaking of, check out the power slide at 0.44 in the video

That was Felipe driving at 0:44 :)

#12859 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 02:00

That was Felipe driving at 0:44 :)

Yep, losing my darn mind. I swore it said 2-22-12. I didn't even look at the helmet after seeing the Alonso interview. Doh!

Advertisement

#12860 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,431 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 03:00

Yep, losing my darn mind. I swore it said 2-22-12. I didn't even look at the helmet after seeing the Alonso interview. Doh!

It's all this preseason anxiety, I swear it's given me grey hairs!!

#12861 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,891 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 04:25

What does Alonso say in the interview?

#12862 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,674 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 05:45

What does Alonso say in the interview?

Nothing new, a lot of hard work by the team to be done and they asked him if the car was better now and he didn't answer, I don't know how to translate it properly to english, but he said something like: "it's a technical question not a media question".

#12863 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 426 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:38

It was certainly a pretty unique style. As an added bonus, it was driving people like Jackie Stewart crazy. :p

:lol: Stewart's ego is obviously bruised hard whenever he see's a driver with a uniquely aggressive driving style become so successfull because he always thought that his smooth style was the ultimate in race driving praising the likes of Alain Prost with his smooth style and being a critic of Ayrton Senna's aggressiveness.Senna is regarded as greater than Stewart.......

I'd love to see Alonso drive in his throwing style once again.Hopefully it's true that the Pirellis will allow him to do that like the Michelins did.If they don't then it's not a great problem for Alonso as he adapts the driving style to suit the car.It would just be more entertaining and awesome seeing Alonso go back to his Michelin style rather than it being an essential element for success.

#12864 as65p

as65p

• 17,229 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 12:33

:lol: Stewart's ego is obviously bruised hard whenever he see's a driver with a uniquely aggressive driving style become so successfull because he always thought that his smooth style was the ultimate in race driving praising the likes of Alain Prost with his smooth style and being a critic of Ayrton Senna's aggressiveness.Senna is regarded as greater than Stewart.......

I'd love to see Alonso drive in his throwing style once again.Hopefully it's true that the Pirellis will allow him to do that like the Michelins did.If they don't then it's not a great problem for Alonso as he adapts the driving style to suit the car.It would just be more entertaining and awesome seeing Alonso go back to his Michelin style rather than it being an essential element for success.

Overall, the great drivers always adapt, and that's what we've seen Alonso do many times. Even more, contrary to his general perception as a whiner, he never uses car or tyre charateristics as an excuse for anything, the most he does is describing it as an aera to work upon, like with the Bridgestones in 2007.

As for JYS, that's my view to. He's obsessed with his smoothie mantra, to the point where he just refuses to acknowledge that under some circumstances there might be other, even better ways to be fast. Also it's often forgotten that Senna, the perceived role-model of agressive driving, could also drive smooth as silk if that was the fastest way on the day. His Monza pole of 1990 is a prime example, I dare say that was as "smooth" as any lap Prost has ever driven, and blindingly fast too.

#12865 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 426 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 13:50

Overall, the great drivers always adapt, and that's what we've seen Alonso do many times. Even more, contrary to his general perception as a whiner, he never uses car or tyre charateristics as an excuse for anything, the most he does is describing it as an aera to work upon, like with the Bridgestones in 2007.

As for JYS, that's my view to. He's obsessed with his smoothie mantra, to the point where he just refuses to acknowledge that under some circumstances there might be other, even better ways to be fast. Also it's often forgotten that Senna, the perceived role-model of agressive driving, could also drive smooth as silk if that was the fastest way on the day. His Monza pole of 1990 is a prime example, I dare say that was as "smooth" as any lap Prost has ever driven, and blindingly fast too.

Indeed it is well established that Alonso's driving skills are not limited to a particular style of driving.It's a characteristic of his that makes him an even more worthy World Champion.The narrow minded perception of Alonso as a whiner is just a notion that is blown out of proportion.He is demanding because he has so much to offer for a team and inspires confidence through his own confidence.

Stewart is radically conservative in his opinion of driving styles."smoothie mantra" :lol:
Don't get me wrong about Stewart because I love the guy.He's a real character with that Scottish accent and he did so much,much more than anyone in F1 to make the sport safer at a time when F1 was so dangerous that 2 to 4 drivers every year would lose their lives.It's just that he projects his own style upon the world as if it was a fact that his is the best when there are other styles that are just as valid in changing circumstances.
He's a lovable Leprecaun but Fernando Alonso is a Giant like Senna who could adapt his driving style with great success.

#12866 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 13:54

It's all this preseason anxiety, I swear it's given me grey hairs!!

Me too mate. I'm just ready for it to start already. But of course for the team to do everything necessary to get the car sorted. Fernando needs number 3 in 2012. :up:

#12867 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 16:41

Fernando is one of the bests, but if he fails for the third year in the row in the Ferrari questions arise.

How has he failed? Nando has been mega beyond doubt and he did it with a ''pickup truck'' last year. If only Ferrari could get their sh** together and make a proper car from race one not race 12.

#12868 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,674 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 17:14

Alonso's talent is out there for everyone to see, is so obvious that transcends the mere statistics. 5/6 years after he won his last WDC, he is still considered the best of the sport or at least in the top 2, despite all the ups and downs with Renault, McLaren and Ferrari. If Alonso fails to win this year again, life will be the same for him and for the people that watch F1 with their eyes and not with spreadsheets.

#12869 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,674 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:24

From Santander event moments ago, I have to go and I can't translate it but it should be easy to get a fair translation with google.

"La ausencia de difusor soplado no beneficia a los mejores pilotos. Al final, lo importante es que al dar gas el coche vaya bien"

"Si llegamos para ganar, mejor, pero si aún queda progreso por hacer lo importante es que haya variedad de ganadores, como en 2010"

"El empezar bien siempre da cierta calma al equipo y se abordan las cosas con más tranquilidad. Lo contrario añade un poco de presión extra"

"Al principio, o ganaba o me volvía al colegio, así que tuve que ganar"

"No estaría dispuesto a pagar para correr después de ganar dos Mundiales y los sacrificios familiares. Sería impensable"

"En algunas cosas tenemos que hacer dobles chequeos. Algunos viernes los tendremos que usar como test porque vamos algo cortos de pruebas"

"Supongo que estaba claro lo que podían soplar los escapes, no creo que haya polémica con esto"

"Para seguir más allá de 2017 necesitaría estar bien física y mentalmente. Ahora hay que disfrutar, la decisión de seguir o no vendrá sola"

La complejidad hacía que todo fuera más lento. El último día probamos cosas que fueron bien.Pero ni ahora vemos la luz ni antes la oscuridad

Alonso: "Otra cosa es que nos hagamos exigencias. Es un año importante, pero por lo que nos exigimos nosotros mismos"

"No creo que Ferrari o yo estemos en una reválida. Igual no gano ningún Mundial más y me iré con la cabeza bien alta"

"Se supone que RBR, tras dominar dos años, no estará en la Q2, y Ferrari y McLaren deberían estar ahí"Pero insiste en que no hay seguridades

Alonso: "Una pretemporada muy similar a la de los 10 últimos años"

Alonso: "Conclusiones cero, supercero"

Quotes thanks to @crosaleny

Edited by kosmos, 27 February 2012 - 12:25.

#12870 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:28

From Santander event moments ago, I have to go and I can't translate it but it should be easy to get a fair translation with google.

Quotes thanks to @crosaleny

The absence of blown diffuser does not benefit the best drivers. "In the end, important thing is that by giving gas the car goes well"

"If we come to win, better, but if there is still progress done the important thing is that variety of winners there are in 2010"

"The start always gives some calm to the team and dealt with things more calmly." "Otherwise adds a little extra pressure"

"At the beginning, or won or I went back to school, so I had to win"

"No he would be willing to pay to run after winning two world and family sacrifices." "It would be unthinkable"

"Some things we have to do double checks." "Some Friday them we will have to be used as test because something will be short of evidence"

"I guess that that could blow the leaks was unclear, I don't think there is controversy with this"

"To continue beyond 2017 would need to be well physically and mentally." "We must now enjoy, the decision to continue or will not come one"

The complexity makes everything slower. The last day we tested things that were good.But now we see the light before darkness

Alonso: "another thing is that we let our demands." "It is an important year, but which is why we call ourselves"

"I don't think that Ferrari or I are in a validation". "Just not won any world more and I will leave with our heads held high"

"It is assumed that RBR, after dominating two years will not be in the Q2, and Ferrari and McLaren should be there" but insists that there is no assurance

Alonso: "A very similar to the 10 last years preseason"

Alonso: "Conclusions zero, supercero"

#12871 nbhb

nbhb

• 903 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:32

The absence of blown diffuser does not benefit the best drivers. "In the end, important thing is that by giving gas the car goes well"

"If we come to win, better, but if there is still progress done the important thing is that variety of winners there are in 2010"

"The start always gives some calm to the team and dealt with things more calmly." "Otherwise adds a little extra pressure"

"At the beginning, or won or I went back to school, so I had to win"

"No he would be willing to pay to run after winning two world and family sacrifices." "It would be unthinkable"

"Some things we have to do double checks." "Some Friday them we will have to be used as test because something will be short of evidence"

"I guess that that could blow the leaks was unclear, I don't think there is controversy with this"

"To continue beyond 2017 would need to be well physically and mentally." "We must now enjoy, the decision to continue or will not come one"

The complexity makes everything slower. The last day we tested things that were good.But now we see the light before darkness

Alonso: "another thing is that we let our demands." "It is an important year, but which is why we call ourselves"

"I don't think that Ferrari or I are in a validation". "Just not won any world more and I will leave with our heads held high"

"It is assumed that RBR, after dominating two years will not be in the Q2, and Ferrari and McLaren should be there" but insists that there is no assurance

Alonso: "A very similar to the 10 last years preseason"

Alonso: "Conclusions zero, supercero"

Google translated me like this:
"I guess it was clear they could blow the exhaust, not think there is controversy about this,"

#12872 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,393 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:44

Google translated me like this:
"I guess it was clear they could blow the exhaust, not think there is controversy about this,"

No, no, what he means is that he thinks the rules about the exhausts were clear (no blowing off throttle) and doesn't think there'll be controversy about that.

#12873 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:48

ALONSO, IN AN ACT WITH THE SANTANDER IN JARAMA
"I never poría be a pay driver"

"If not win another world, I would go with the head held high", says
He believes that the car is complex and they are working "200 %"
He believes that it will be important that any pilot dominates from the beginning of year
The Jarama circuit returns to have something formula one for a day. The Madrid track is the venue chosen by Santander to celebrate the renewal of the contract that unites them to Ferrari until 2017 with the press. A relationship that, according to its managers, dilataría in the time until 2020 if them outside.

The great pattern in the celebration of the Bank was Fernando Alonso, which elicited a huge expectation. The Asturian gave a press conference very extensive in which he explained some of his feelings at preseason and unveiled some thoughts for the future.
Valuing the preseason the truth is that conclusions can be drawn 0 ", said Fernando,"we are working 200 %". "What is costing us more to everyone is to get the grip that has lost in the car behind the prohibition of blown diffusers, but I think that we will recover it soon."

Alonso, whose last world title came in 2006 with Renault, in no hurry to recover those sensations. Not even concerned not to repeat that success again. "As already not never won a world, but I will leave with their heads very high." "I've won at least and some will leave here without winning a single race," commented thereon.

The pilot spoke of the new F2012. And shook off some scepticism that has been able to generate the performance of the new revolutionary single-seater. "There is a tendency to think, especially for some obscure reason media, that the car is bad, and we do not understand." "We are very calm because the car is very complex and everything is very slow but there is no reason to assume it's not fast," he explained.
Looking forward to the first race in Melbourne, is optimistic. "Australia is a strange race because it runs on the defensive, it is different." "Will begin to see things from the third race," he said, and considers that one of the keys of this Championship will be in the first third of season there is no no one governs at will. "It would be important, if we do not win us, that no pilot could do in the first three or four races." "The car of 2010 and 2011 were very similar, but the first year we almost won and the second not because there was nothing fight", added.

Ferdinand also admitted that he would never pay for running. "It would be unthinkable that I I become a payment pilot, after everything that has been done my father for me, everything what they have invested in me, that in kart, or won or I had to return to the cole…", he stressed and said that "if I had a son, I do not mind to run in kart"

http://www.marca.com...1330346269.html

#12874 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 13:01

..... :clap: ... the guy who will probably fail once more in his third year in Ferrari.

Does he deserve it?

I don´t thnik so..... i´m dissapointed for Fernando is a great race driver, maybe the best, but Ferrari isn´t tailor made for him.

IRC Kimi won his WDC in 2007, in his first year in Ferrari :lol:

I reply you here since the other thread is about Ferrari 2012.

Who cares if Kimi won during his first year at Ferrari meanwhile Alonso did not. If you want to stirr up the hive I would not rely on stats, as I'm sure it is much better to have two championships than just one. And Alonso has two, and not just one.

Edited by Creepy, 27 February 2012 - 13:13.

#12875 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 13:15

I reply you here since the other thread is about Ferrari 2012. Hope this is the relevant thread to reply to you, if is that we're allowed to debate your statement. :rolleyes:

Who cares if Kimi won during his first year at Ferrari meanwhile Alonso did not. If you want to stirr up the hive I would not rely on stats, as I'm sure it is much better to have two championships than just one. And Alonso has two, and not just one.

No need to waste time with such trolling.Let's just wait and see how mani WDCs kimi wins in the team that alonso became double worldchamp with.

#12876 Jovanotti

Jovanotti

• 2,886 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 13:24

Chill guys. Even I as a big Räikkönen fan see that since Alonsos arrival at Ferrari the problem has been the car and not him. Nothing to feel bitter about.

#12877 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 13:53

Chill guys. Even I as a big Räikkönen fan see that since Alonsos arrival at Ferrari the problem has been the car and not him. Nothing to feel bitter about.

Thanks mate for being mature & objective. Something that's rare around here. Much appreciated. GL to the IceMan this year. :up:

#12878 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 13:54

:up: correct & fair!

#12879 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 27 February 2012 - 20:22

Alonso relaxed about Ferrari's testing form

:) :up:

Advertisement

#12880 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,674 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 14:15

According to this article: http://www.abc.es/20...s-20120228.html

Alonso has in his house the same simulator that Ferrari uses for their young drivers programme, the price is 280.000 euros.

And here full Q&A from yesterday event.

http://www.as.com/mo...dasdaimot_1/Tes

#12881 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 15:05

Alonso press conference

#12882 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:57

A lap around Jarama's track:

http://www.youtube.c...p;v=eG9cITZcdSU

#12883 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 17:12

Alonso press conference

why is he wearing 2011 teamwear?

#12884 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,674 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 17:20

why is he wearing 2011 teamwear?

The main reason of the event was to announce the new sponsorship deal between Ferrari and Santander, it wasn't an event between Alonso and Santander.

#12885 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 17:32

:lol: That's a great vid! :up: The casualness of Alonso was brilliant - just pops in the car, drives the life out of it, then pulls up and goes off in search of a sandwich. (I made the sandwich bit up) but

#12886 Blutch

Blutch

• 36 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 18:01

:lol: That's a great vid! :up: The casualness of Alonso was brilliant - just pops in the car, drives the life out of it, then pulls up and goes off in search of a sandwich. (I made the sandwich bit up) but

That's funny !
I think it must be boring for him at the end ?

#12887 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 18:04

The main reason of the event was to announce the new sponsorship deal between Ferrari and Santander, it wasn't an event between Alonso and Santander.

yeah, but still, surely ferrari would have their latest wear on, no?

ah who cares, it's still red and it os not a massive problem. just curious.  ;)

#12888 rr0cket

rr0cket

• 75 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 18:12

Thanks, great video. I've been watching Fernando closely for a long time, it looks like he's keeping in great shape. His core/neck look particularly solid and he has great form through those corners.

#12889 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:01

Haha their first words:

CM- Have you already warmed up?
FA- I am already as horny as a slut.

#12890 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,370 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 01:07

That's funny !
I think it must be boring for him at the end ?

Yeah, he's off in search of a faster car i reckon. And that sandwich!

#12891 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 13:22

Ferrari F12 berlinetta with Alonso & Massa

Edited by puxanando, 29 February 2012 - 13:23.

#12892 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 15:23

Alonso TODAY in Montmelo

Posted Image

Posted Image

#12893 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,674 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 16:35

He was watching the cars on the track with Andrea today, I hope they get some useful info.

#12894 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 23:28

If you got it, do your magic Alonso, It´s time now.

Edited by tommyhjortasen, 02 March 2012 - 23:48.

#12895 SCUDmissile

SCUDmissile

• 3,912 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:59

he was having a nice chat with Vettel in the Ferrari garage today.

#12896 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,674 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 17:19

Posted Image

BFF

#12897 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 17:55

Posted Image

BFF

He and Massimo Rivola seem to have a good relation.

#12898 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,588 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 17:56

That's 4 world championships right ther :smoking:

#12899 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 17:58

That's 4 world championships right ther :smoking:

No, just 2. Look better  ;)

Advertisement