Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#13201 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 21:50

What if he could not make the car go faster? He was already a second faster than Massa was able to go with a full session. This may not have actually cost him anything at all.

77% of drivers who posted a laptime in Q3 improved their Q2 time. So it's a high possibility.

Advertisement

#13202 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 21:53

I'm not a Ferrari fan and I'm not really a Fernando fan but his mistake, IMO, was due to having to wrestle that dog of a car around corners.
We were watching Fernando prior to his off, and the cornering angles he was having to meet just to hit the corners at a vaguely competitive speed were nuts, it was only a matter of time before he would reach a point where control wouldn't be so easily achieved.

Anyway, I feel sorry for Fernando and think he deserves a better car, especially after the last couple of years.............

No, it was just a silly mistake. He braked while his rear left tire was on the edge of the circuit and the car spun, much like it happened to Vettel and Schumacher in FP, and those are not dog of a cars.

#13203 motorhead

motorhead

• 937 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 21:57

No, it was just a silly mistake. He braked while his rear left tire was on the edge of the circuit and the car spun, much like it happened to Vettel and Schumacher in FP, and those are not dog of a cars.

You forgot Massa who did exactly the same thing in fp

#13204 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:01

Massa did that too... How on Earth all those guys did the exact same mistake?? It was a bit amateur and bizarre. As if they forgot to drive.

The only place where you can forgive it is at turn 6, because you have to turn left during the braking zone and it always tempts you to straight line that slight left turn during braking, but the other braking zones are straight...

#13205 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:06

How on Earth all those guys did the exact same mistake?? It was a bit amateur and bizarre. As if they forgot to drive.

Lots of less downforce in the back of the car.

I'm pretty sure if they all did that with last year's car nothing would have happened.

#13206 klyster

klyster

• 4,378 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:10

Yeah, but the Ferrari is a dog and the probable reason why Alonso had his wheel on the grass was due to the abnormal lines he was taking.
Normally, Alonso doesn't make these mistakes. He has a hard season ahead of him..

Why am I sticking up for Fernando anyway? That's all from me.........

#13207 marcm

marcm

• 168 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:14

Massa did that too... How on Earth all those guys did the exact same mistake?? It was a bit amateur and bizarre. As if they forgot to drive.

The only place where you can forgive it is at turn 6, because you have to turn left during the braking zone and it always tempts you to straight line that slight left turn during braking, but the other braking zones are straight...

Amateur and bizzare? Forgot to drive? You sit so low in a F1 car the edge of the track is partially hidden from your view by the nose and front wheel etc. Yet, part of what makes a lap fast is using literally every inch of the circuit to minimise the angle of the corner. It's exceptionally hard to judge precisely when doing 160mph+ in a F1 car ... yet suprisingly easy to judge watching the TV feed from a comfy armchair.

The angle of the approach to the corner perhaps makes it deceptive from behind the wheel, hence more than one driver made the same mistake over the weekend.
Funnily enough, it's a mistake that the quicker drivers tend to make more as they tend to make use of more of the track and leave less margin for error.

A mistake yes - but amateur and bizzare? Not a chance.

#13208 as65p

as65p

• 17,794 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:26

I respect Alonso alot and feel he is one of the best talents on the grid, but history says he doesn't take failure very well. He's had 2 seasons now at Ferrari and been very patient....

Which is it now, the underlined or the bolded? They sound mutually exclusive to me.

#13209 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:30

Amateur and bizzare? Forgot to drive? You sit so low in a F1 car the edge of the track is partially hidden from your view by the nose and front wheel etc. Yet, part of what makes a lap fast is using literally every inch of the circuit to minimise the angle of the corner. It's exceptionally hard to judge precisely when doing 160mph+ in a F1 car ... yet suprisingly easy to judge watching the TV feed from a comfy armchair.

Hell, I would never try to say their job is easy, but c´mon, they´re Formula 1 drivers, the best in the world.

They know where their car ends, they can go wheel to wheel inches away. That kind of mistake is poor, and happens very rarely, but this weekend it was seen lots of times. :confused:

#13210 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:33

Lots of less downforce in the back of the car.

I'm pretty sure if they all did that with last year's car nothing would have happened.

I don´t think that´s a factor to be honest. If you stick a wheel on the grass under braking it´ll do that no matter what generation of car you´re driving. You brake hard thinking you´re on tarmac and have enough grip but you aren´t, it´ll always slide if you slam the brakes on the grass.

#13211 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:36

Because he is arguably one of the top two driver on the grid, with either Lewis or Vettel.

How does that equal deserves?

#13212 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,053 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:38

Hell, I would never try to say their job is easy, but c´mon, they´re Formula 1 drivers, the best in the world.

They know where their car ends, they can go wheel to wheel inches away. That kind of mistake is poor, and happens very rarely, but this weekend it was seen lots of times. :confused:

This mistake happens often on Australia,because even if your front isn't on the grass,the later rear tire can easily be on the grass.

Its no excuse,but even on pc game you can do this mistake pushing because you forget how the lines are on Melbourne.

#13213 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,539 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:39

it seems to me that the poster is going by talent, others may decide by looks, hair color or length or whatever, what is your definition?

#13214 Boxerevo

Boxerevo

• 2,053 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:40

y u so pedant.

#13215 itsademo

itsademo

• 408 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:46

No need for a bullet proof vest & helmet here, we're friendly here :wave: lol

Seriously, I don't believe Fernando likes the spotlight, but he deals with the press rather professionally. When it's time to talk about the car or the team or the season, etc he does and does so well. His personal life however is just that and I don't feel he's obligated to indulge the press with details of his personal life much less his divorce. He's a Formula One driver not a reality tv star therefore it's not his personal life in which he makes his living, it's driving race cars. Personal life = off limits.

As for the comments on Kubica, that's commendable. Whether absolutely true in Fernando's mind is neither here nor there, at the very least he's trying to cheer someone who's had it quite rough as of late in a good manner. Trying to provide positive reinforcement to Robert which is a very thoughtful thing to do. You can't blame or hate him for trying to compliment the guy.

let me remind you of that next time you come to rubbish driver X because of his PL. ;)
Yes Alonso is a great driver but he like all others has his failings.
Many have been on track and in public...
but i do agree they are racing drivers so why bring up private like its public
perhaps you will think twice before you do the same about other drivers or shall we link to your post to remind you?

#13216 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:47

it seems to me that the poster is going by talent, others may decide by looks, hair color or length or whatever, what is your definition?

I don't have a definition. I don't believe any driver deserves it, they have to earn it each and every season. How they have performed in the past doesn't come into it.

#13217 itsademo

itsademo

• 408 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:51

I don't have a definition. I don't believe any driver deserves it, they have to earn it each and every season. How they have performed in the past doesn't come into it.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's what YOU make of it...
Good luck fred i dont like your morals or the way you conduct your life but i sure as hell respect what you do in a car....
and so would love you to shove finger boys finger where the sun does not shine

#13218 currupipi

currupipi

• 1,539 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:52

you see you do have a definition, just as respectable as the others

#13219 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:52

This mistake happens often on Australia,because even if your front isn't on the grass,the later rear tire can easily be on the grass.

Its no excuse,but even on pc game you can do this mistake pushing because you forget how the lines are on Melbourne.

Well, the braking zones are mostly straight (I admit turn 6 is a pain to brake properly), nothing special. Maybe it was just coincidence and I´m over-cooking it.

Advertisement

#13220 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,686 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 22:53

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's what YOU make of it...
Good luck fred i dont like your morals or the way you conduct your life but i sure as hell respect what you do in a car....
and so would love you to shove finger boys finger where the sun does not shine

What's wrong with his morals and lifestyle?

#13221 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:00

There are not enough superlative adjectives to describe this driver, call me fanboy or whatever, but this is the most important asset that Ferrari has and they are not giving him the right equipment. From 12th to 5th in probably the 5th or 6th car.

You have to wonder if he could have done something more without the qualifying mistake, probably not because the pace of the car but you have to wonder because with Fernando is like a birthday present every race.

#13222 Lights

Lights

• 9,883 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:03

Great race, he did exactly what he needed to do. Bad luck he still got behind Webber, was that just safety car or did something else happen?

#13223 FenderJaguar

FenderJaguar

• 1,458 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:03

That was really something special from Fernando. Very impressive.

#13224 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,309 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:14

Superb race by Alonso! Very very impressive :up: :up:
I dislike him but there's no denying he is one helluva driver.

#13225 gilez

gilez

• 39 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:21

Alonso today has showed everybody what kind of champion he is.

Massa showed what kind of car Ferrari is.

Montezemolo stop bullsh**tting us with "we want a third car" . Make a decent car and fire Massa, there are hundreds of young drivers out there.

#13226 xlr8

xlr8

• 717 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:24

You couldn't ask for more from this man. C'mon Ferrari, please sort out F2012 ASAP.

#13227 BruisedLee

BruisedLee

• 100 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:33

A perfect race for Alonso: Great start, great pace (given the car), great defending. :up:

It was a very exciting race, but watching Alonso always struggling to keep his position is not that enjoyable. Let's hope Ferrari finds a solution for the exhaust in Spain, because he is going to struggle much more in Malaysia and China with that car.

#13228 joshb

joshb

• 3,336 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:48

Gotta admit, although i was well pleased with Vettels drive, Alonso drove like a legend all weekend, bar one corner.
5th place in what is the 6th/7th best race car (and maybe worse qualy car)
doff my hat to him

#13229 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:22

If there ever is a definition of a driving God, it must be Alonso. The man just blows me away each and every race, from start to finish. Awesome. What a display.

Get this man a winning car and hell lap the entire field. :up:

#13230 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:30

Great race Fernando! Let's hope Ferrari improve the F2012 drastically so you can fight for interesting things...

@alo_oficial
Mmm,what a race ...! We know there is a lot of work ahead, but today I see the glass half full.;))!more info later .. http://pic.twitter.com/uF6m5h3M

#13231 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,688 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:32

He is like superman, he's only kryptonite is the performance of this car.

Also loved Martins compliment to Alonso - "Give him a wheely bin and he would still be competitive"

Amazing stuff Alonso :up:

#13232 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:35

He is like superman, he's only kryptonite is the performance of this car.

Also loved Martins compliment to Alonso - "Give him a wheely bin and he would still be competitive"

Amazing stuff Alonso :up:

It was "Give him a wheely bin without the wheel and he would still be competitive"

#13233 i.am.cloned

i.am.cloned

• 276 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:37

He might have had bigger success in other teams but his talent has never shined through brightly than in his Ferrari days.
With that alwful car anyone can see he's pure magic. Man against the Machine indeed.

#13234 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,415 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:58

Alonso saving Ferrari from embarrasment once again. I couldn´t believe the times he was doing in the 1st stint.
Sadly, the championship is over for him with this POS of a car. C´mon Ferrari, give the man the car he deserves!!

#13235 motorhead

motorhead

• 937 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:09

Because he is arguably one of the top two driver on the grid, with either Lewis or Vettel.

Jenson isn´t in that group? Jenson showed today total domination over Lewis. He also beat Lewis clearly last year what Alonso couldn´t do before. I think Button in his current form would be tough opponent to everyone...

#13236 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:35

OMG! Fernando that was an ABSOLUTE MASTER CLASS and gives truth to your MYTHIC, God-like driving abilities! You have no peers! :up: :up:

You have, singlehandedly, lifted the spirits of an entire nation and millions of Ferrari F1 fans across the globe! :cool:

Your ability and determination to stay motivated, remain calm and keep pushing to secure seemingly impossible results is an example to anyone, regardless of field, of what can be accomplished!

So thankful I was born in a time where I could witness your immense talents! :clap:

Edited by PoleMan, 18 March 2012 - 10:44.

#13237 AyrtonSauna

AyrtonSauna

• 432 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:37

Alonso saving Ferrari from embarrasment once again. I couldn´t believe the times he was doing in the 1st stint.
Sadly, the championship is over for him with this POS of a car. C´mon Ferrari, give the man the car he deserves!!

Alonso is definately a title contender when you consider his superb racecraft once again demonstrated today when he controlled the back end slides like a rally driver with incredible skill. Australia was always going to be the worst track of the 1st 4 fly away races for the Ferrari that is especially good through fast turns so a win already in Malaysia,China or Bahrain is not inconceivable for Fernando even before the big updates come in Spain.

#13238 tommyhjortasen

tommyhjortasen

• 587 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:53

Fernando Alonso, what a wonderful drive today, you took that piece of junk up were it didn´t belong.

You saved Ferraris pride today!!

#13239 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:56

Why is everyone saying the ferrari is a junk car? It finished within 20 seconds of the lead, and even counting the sc, thats nothing. The car is by no means terrible in the race.

Advertisement

#13240 LiJu914

LiJu914

• 1,776 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:16

Such a stellar driver. A real shame that he most likely won´t be able to participate in a WDC-fight yet again...

#13241 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:17

Alonso earned every cent of his salary today. What a fantastic drive and what a way to save Ferrari from total mockery.

#13242 NeilMick

NeilMick

• 530 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:17

Why is everyone saying the ferrari is a junk car? It finished within 20 seconds of the lead, and even counting the sc, thats nothing. The car is by no means terrible in the race.

Get real, it's a terrible car.

#13243 topical

topical

• 2,300 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:19

This is an interesting comment:

"Today we salvaged a lot more points than we expected. We only lost three or five to the favourites and a few more to Button, but maybe there will not be a clear dominator like last year and maybe no one will open such a big gap as Vettel did in 2011."

Seems to suggest that Alonso doesn't regard Button as a major contender for the title. He may need to rethink that. Jeson was very impressive today and that McLaren is fast.

#13244 Alondra

Alondra

• 162 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:40

Agreed. They bettter fix it fast if Ferrari doesn't want to say bye to the season just as it started.

Sublime, superb Alonso tough.

#13245 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:57

Great job from Fernando. I couldn't have asked for more with that car.

#13246 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 13:06

Fernando on Facebook now :up:

#13247 Rikhart

Rikhart

• 581 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 13:08

Like I said, it ended within 20 seconds of the leaders, thats nothing. It´s bad in single lap pace? Maybe, race pace not so much.

#13248 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 13:09

Like I said, it ended within 20 seconds of the leaders, thats nothing. It´s bad in single lap pace? Maybe, race pace not so much.

:rotfl:

Because of the SC. IF SC wasn't there he wouldn't have been 5th.

#13249 apoka

apoka

• 3,611 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 13:15

This is an interesting comment:

"Today we salvaged a lot more points than we expected. We only lost three or five to the favourites and a few more to Button, but maybe there will not be a clear dominator like last year and maybe no one will open such a big gap as Vettel did in 2011."

Seems to suggest that Alonso doesn't regard Button as a major contender for the title. He may need to rethink that. Jeson was very impressive today and that McLaren is fast.

Mathematically speaking "3 or 5" only includes Hamilton and not Webber (2), Vettel (8) and Button (15), but I don't think we should take that too literally.;) Discarding Button as a WDC candidate would be very odd after this race.

#13250 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,688 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 13:18

That was after the safety car not the whole race!! For the last 20 laps that's the gap that built up which puts its about a second of in race pace. Were you even watching the race?

Edited by RedOne, 18 March 2012 - 13:22.