Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#13251 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 13:18

All the bad things have been repeated a thousand times so let's bring a little bit of positivism:

- Team work was impeccable, fastest at pit stops and perfect with the strategy.
- The tyre warming problem from last season is gone
- The car strong point seems to be fast corners, that will be handy for most of the aero tracks.
- No reliability problems with KERS, DRS, new front suspension...
. The start procedure worked as expected.

If the team really know where's the problem and China and Spain upgrades work properly (a big if, I know) there could be some hope.

Edited by showtime, 18 March 2012 - 13:19.

Advertisement

#13252 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,649 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 13:21

All the bad things have been repeated a thousand times so let's bring a little bit of positivism:

- Team work was impeccable, fastest at pit stops and perfect with the strategy.
- The tyre warming problem from last season is gone
- The car strong point seems to be fast corners, that will be handy for most of the aero tracks.
- No reliability problems with KERS, DRS, new front suspension...
. The start procedure worked as expected.

If the team really know where's the problem and China and Spain upgrades work properly (a big if, I know) there could be some hope.

There could be, and with today's result that hope continues on.

#13253 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,060 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 13:45

Fernando on Facebook now :up:

Already posted.

#13254 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:08

Already posted.

:blush: sorry

#13255 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:21

So with the apparent pace of ferrari in fast corners and with the updates coming up (hope they work), i feel a little more confident now.

#13256 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,071 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:26

Like I said, it ended within 20 seconds of the leaders, thats nothing. It´s bad in single lap pace? Maybe, race pace not so much.

Yeah the lighter the car gets the worse the handling gets. Lack of DF. But yes the car had decent pace today. Before the SC Fernando was 4th and had a gap to Webber behind. Would he have finished 4th? We don't know but the SC didn't help the cause. This race, Fernando's drive show why he is the best driver on the grid, IMHO. If we can give him the car, he will surely win. No doubts about it. :up:

#13257 sniper80

sniper80

• 525 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 14:42

I was surprised by both Ferrari's starts and by the fact that Alonso could easily follow the leaders at the beginning of the race. I didn't expect that.

#13258 PedroR

PedroR

• 107 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:02

I'll tell you something guys:

If Fernando believes,.... Me too!!!!

Edited by PedroR, 18 March 2012 - 15:05.

#13259 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:22

This is an interesting comment:

"Today we salvaged a lot more points than we expected. We only lost three or five to the favourites and a few more to Button, but maybe there will not be a clear dominator like last year and maybe no one will open such a big gap as Vettel did in 2011."

Seems to suggest that Alonso doesn't regard Button as a major contender for the title. He may need to rethink that. Jeson was very impressive today and that McLaren is fast.

I'm sure Alonso based that claim upon how tied a lot of teams are, not on Button lacking skills (which he doesn't lack).

Edited by Creepy, 18 March 2012 - 15:24.

Advertisement

#13260 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:43

"Today we salvaged a lot more points than we expected. We only lost three or five to the favourites and a few more to Button, but maybe there will not be a clear dominator like last year and maybe no one will open such a big gap as Vettel did in 2011."

Seems to suggest that Alonso doesn't regard Button as a major contender for the title. He may need to rethink that. Jeson was very impressive today and that McLaren is fast.

What why should he consider Button a major contender? I mean, all that Button has done is to arrive to a team revolving around Lewis Hamilton, match him, turn the team on his favor, and then beat him consistently since (pretty much) late 2010...

It is not as if Button has done something Alonso failed badly to do when all the cards were on Alonso's hand

#13261 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:48

What Alonso did today in a poor Ferrari, was a lot like what Schu did in 1996, also in a poor Ferrari. Alonso's skills were seen today in his race craft...

#13262 Mr.Wayne

Mr.Wayne

• 572 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:52

What Alonso did today in a poor Ferrari, was a lot like what Schu did in 1996, also in a poor Ferrari. Alonso's skills were seen today in his race craft...

I still wonder why he couldn't put Maldonado away in the final part of the race... Is the Williams *THAT* good, is Maldonado *THAT* impressive, is the Ferrari *THAT* bad? Personally, I think that Ferrari has balance problems that are partly masked by the weight of the car (i.e under full fuel load). Certainly, Ferrari's pace in the first half of the race was different to that in the second part; particularly after the SC.

#13263 noynac

noynac

• 12 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 15:55

He said "... to SOME favourites and a few more to Button...", which is quite a difference.

#13264 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,405 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 16:03

I still wonder why he couldn't put Maldonado away in the final part of the race... Is the Williams *THAT* good, is Maldonado *THAT* impressive, is the Ferrari *THAT* bad? Personally, I think that Ferrari has balance problems that are partly masked by the weight of the car (i.e under full fuel load). Certainly, Ferrari's pace in the first half of the race was different to that in the second part; particularly after the SC.

Williams is very good and Ferrari is a dog, there you have it ;)

#13265 figue

figue

• 190 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 16:15

there is something that scapes to my understanding.

If the car lacks mainly of downforce, how comes then is it expected to be good on fast corners? :confused:

awesome Fernando, unfortunately he's performed like today so many times that he doesn't receive all compliments others would.

I find sad reading all through "usual stuff from Fernando", I know it's somehow a sort of compliment, but come on, the guy deserves something more

Edited by figue, 18 March 2012 - 16:17.

#13266 KnucklesAgain

KnucklesAgain

• 4,928 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 16:45

Button wasn't a favorite, RBR/Vettel was.

#13267 BunnyK

BunnyK

• 444 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:29

Superb race by Fernando, I really feel that when the car is crap there isn't a driver which can perform as well as him.

I hope he's right and RB and McLaren drivers steal points from each other, or he won't be able to challenge for the lead at the end of the championship, he's optimistic but I think he's also trying to guess where is the car compared to the top teams right now as he knows Ferrari is not the only team pushing on development.

#13268 zyphro

zyphro

• 742 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:46

I wouldn't go that far.

Alonso was good but he was helped out majorly by the SC.

#13269 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,387 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:50

I wouldn't go that far.

I dont know about that, wasn't he going to be ahead of Webber when Webber pitted when the SC came out and Webber got to stop under SC?

#13270 as65p

as65p

• 17,524 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:52

I dont know about that, wasn't he going to be ahead of Webber when Webber pitted when the SC came out and Webber got to stop under SC?

Exactly, Without the SC, Webber would have to get by him on track. Which he likely would have, but still, the SC cost Alonso, not the other way round.

#13271 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 18:52

I wouldn't go that far.

Really?He lost a place to webber with the SC

#13272 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 19:06

there is something that scapes to my understanding.

If the car lacks mainly of downforce, how comes then is it expected to be good on fast corners? :confused:

I think it either lacks low speed downforce or mechanical grip, because on the high speed stuff it appeared to be fine (or not so bad).

#13273 Sevach

Sevach

• 966 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 19:18

Alonso is an absolutely fantastic driver, nothing else need to be said.

Let's see how quickly Ferrari can fix this car (if they can).

#13274 figue

figue

• 190 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 19:30

I think it either lacks low speed downforce or mechanical grip, because on the high speed stuff it appeared to be fine (or not so bad).

it makes sense to claim a lack of mechanical grip, but no downforce and people expect them to be fast through fast corners? confused.com :confused:

#13275 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 19:44

Very good race by Alonso!

#13276 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 19:58

VIDEO - Alonso pleased with fifth place

#13277 prty

prty

• 5,164 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 20:02

it makes sense to claim a lack of mechanical grip, but no downforce and people expect them to be fast through fast corners? confused.com :confused:

I'm really no expert in the subject, but I think that with different speeds the air goes to different places (aero mappings), so you can have a good aero behavior in high speed, but don't have a good one in low speeds.

#13278 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,415 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 21:14

I wouldn't go that far.

Ok, maybe he wasn't THAT good as Schu was in '96 (but its still yet to be seen, but he had a great drive today).

#13279 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,669 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 21:54

The cream rises to the top... how many times have we seem Fernando put a rubbish car on the tail of the good ones in a race?

The frustrating thing is that Ferrari have built another stinker. You can't rely on Alonso saving your season, you need to put the resources you have to good use.

Advertisement

#13280 HPT

HPT

• 1,171 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 00:51

From what I understand, at high speeds the load on the rear aero is greater and that seals the diffuser more effectively, therefore creating more downforce. When they talk of lacking rear downforce in the low speed corners, that has everything to do with their exhaust configuration, something which isn't as effective as either McLaren's or RBR's versions at the moment.

#13281 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:21

the SC cost Alonso, not the other way round.

BS, Alonso was hopeless on mediums, and he had to go early to use them.

The SC helped him to get them to the end, protected him from Maldonado, and prevented Räikkönen to make use of his soft tyres.

#13282 Testarossa2012

Testarossa2012

• 11 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:14

Bravo, Alonso!

Please, Ferrari, improve the F2012 soon!

#13283 seahawk

seahawk

• 3,132 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:36

Masterful race in that dog of a car.

#13284 BruisedLee

BruisedLee

• 100 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:59

The SC helped him to get them to the end, protected him from Maldonado, and prevented Räikkönen to make use of his soft tyres.

I think it was not that clear cut. The SC helped Maldonado and Raikkönen closed de gap relative to Alonso and allow Maldonado to use DRS to stay close to him. The SC also helped Webber to overtake Alonso in the pitstop. I think Webber would have done it sooner or later, but it may have made it more difficult for Maldonado to close within one second of Alonso in order to use the DRS.

#13285 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:03

I think it was not that clear cut. The SC helped Maldonado and Raikkönen closed de gap relative to Alonso and allow Maldonado to use DRS to stay close to him. The SC also helped Webber to overtake Alonso in the pitstop. I think Webber would have done it sooner or later, but it may have made it more difficult for Maldonado to close within one second of Alonso in order to use the DRS.

Agreed, if there was no SC Alonso would have had to hold Webber instead of Maldonado, and maybe he could have done it, we'll never know, so the SC cost Alonso a possible 4th place.

#13286 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,484 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:41

proved to me yet again why alonso is the best driver out there. And I'm only neutral on him support wise. I always like to defend drivers errors by saying they are not robots, but, I think alonso may be one actually.

#13287 sebomaniac

sebomaniac

• 159 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:28

Masterful race in that dog of a car.

Best way to describe his race in the fewest words. It's a pity that such super-duper driving gets so little reward. But did he curse his union with Ferrari when he told renault ''good luck to you as long as you are not red'' ?

Edited by sebomaniac, 19 March 2012 - 09:30.

#13288 as65p

as65p

• 17,524 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:33

BS this is indeed.

#13289 Pezerinno

Pezerinno

• 26 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:14

Great race by Fernando!

#13290 jj2728

jj2728

• 2,797 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 14:56

Alonso certainly gave it his all shaking off the many fleas on that dog of a car.

#13291 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 15:41

Any onboard video from the race out there?

#13292 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 1,009 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 16:53

You could put Alonso in a tractor and he would still amaze, Ferrari don't know how lucky they are to have him, and if they don't improve this situation soon then its back to the dark days very very soon.

#13293 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:06

You could put Alonso in a tractor and he would still amaze, Ferrari don't know how lucky they are to have him, and if they don't improve this situation soon then its back to the dark days very very soon.

They are not lucky, they're Ferrari and it's obvious they're going to have the best driver on the grid, but man, just give him a proper car, what a waste of a driver...

#13294 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,759 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:25

OMG! Fernando that was an ABSOLUTE MASTER CLASS and gives truth to your MYTHIC, God-like driving abilities! You have no peers! :up: :up:

You have, singlehandedly, lifted the spirits of an entire nation and millions of Ferrari F1 fans across the globe! :cool:

Your ability and determination to stay motivated, remain calm and keep pushing to secure seemingly impossible results is an example to anyone, regardless of field, of what can be accomplished!

So thankful I was born in a time where I could witness your immense talents! :clap:

I definitely am not pissing on your parade but...while Fernando was (once again) very good, praises like this do little justice to any driver. Some years ago there was a Montoya fan Dan_121 or sumthin who lifted his hero to divine heights and ended up making hiself a fool and Montoya a laughing stock too.

Are you sure that F2012 was way worse than FW34 since a driver like Pastor really chased FA hard? Very good drive by Fernando nevertheless.

Edited by Konsta, 20 March 2012 - 08:39.

#13295 FloorIt

FloorIt

• 51 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:22

can someone tell me how on earth did alonso finish 5th and hold webber in the first half of the race with that car ?

#13296 micktosin

micktosin

• 442 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:30

can someone tell me how on earth did alonso finish 5th and hold webber in the first half of the race with that car ?

Honestly i couldn't believe it myself. The man is a miracle worker. :drunk:

#13297 motorhead

motorhead

• 931 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:49

This cult is getting comical, Ferrari is not "a dog of a car" - HRT is! It is a car which can score points regurarly, but it is not a top car at the moment. One of the drivers did his job, another one didn´t...

#13298 topical

topical

• 2,170 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 13:04

This cult is getting comical, Ferrari is not "a dog of a car" - HRT is! It is a car which can score points regurarly, but it is not a top car at the moment. One of the drivers did his job, another one didn´t...

Yes, even as an Alonso fan who rates him as probably the best driver in F1 I find some of the worshipping in this thread preposterous.

#13299 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,060 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 13:14

I think that when people say "a dog of a car", their are talking in reference to Ferrari history or what people expect from this team not in reference to every car on the grid, obviously the F2012 is not comparable in any way to HRT, Marussia or Caterham, they are the true dogs of the grid. There is no cult, only people praising a driver, maybe a little over the top in some cases but that's all.

By the way, Fernando posted some cool photos in his twitter.

Advertisement

#13300 Gorma

Gorma

• 1,532 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 13:16

Melbourne is the second toughest track to overtake. Monaco is the toughest. It's no suprise.