Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#13301 FloorTheThrottle

FloorTheThrottle

• 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 13:26

i am not worshipping alonso but you give him credit for what he did , its tremendous

Advertisement

#13302 micktosin

micktosin

• 442 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 14:37

This cult is getting comical, Ferrari is not "a dog of a car" - HRT is! It is a car which can score points regurarly, but it is not a top car at the moment. One of the drivers did his job, another one didn´t...

The Car is a dog as far as i'm concern, especially for a team like Ferrari. A car more than 7 tenths behind the leading car is a dog to me IMO.

#13303 Konsta

Konsta

• 1,749 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 15:25

The Car is a dog as far as i'm concern, especially for a team like Ferrari. A car more than 7 tenths behind the leading car is a dog to me IMO.

Yeah but still. FA is a great racer but you guys are raising him to a statue of a demi-god. Somewhat comical and I reckon FA was embarrassed if he should read these posts.

#13304 crespo

crespo

• 502 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 15:34

Yeah but still. FA is a great racer but you guys are raising him to a statue of a demi-god. Somewhat comical and I reckon FA was embarrassed if he should read these posts.

Well, forgive his fans for praising his admirable performance in his fan thread.

I don't remember anyone complaining about calling Hamilton "TDG" ffs.

Comical? Embarrased? Sheesh. He did benefit from attrition up front, but that doesn't mean his drive wasn't amazingly good (which it was). It was a drive he and his fans should, rightfully, be very proud of.

#13305 aray

aray

• 2,630 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 15:41

Ok, maybe he wasn't THAT good as Schu was in '96 (but its still yet to be seen, but he had a great drive today).

in 1996,MSC didn't has to fight along with 5 different teams with similar level of performance....Williams were clear fastest and Micheal brought some superb poles and wins against them ...this year situation is completely different...2 teams clearly faster,hence not much chance of glorious pole or win unless the car improves... :well:

#13306 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,743 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 16:27

speed wise the car isnt terrible, but the handling looked awful quite alot.

#13307 as65p

as65p

• 17,298 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 18:01

Yes, even as an Alonso fan who rates him as probably the best driver in F1 I find some of the worshipping in this thread preposterous.

:up: Very true.

#13308 FloorTheThrottle

FloorTheThrottle

• 27 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 22:06

no one ever can do what alonso did in this race ? u see massa keeping 13th just and alonso keeping 5th place

#13309 micktosin

micktosin

• 442 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 22:15

no one ever can do what alonso did in this race ? u see massa keeping 13th just and alonso keeping 5th place

To add to this, I think Massa is not as bad as people are making him out to be. It's just Alonso making the Car do the impossible.

#13310 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,702 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 23:13

Posts deleted.

Thread is not about the F2012, or the F60, Seb Vettel, Massa, Kimi Raikkonen or Dan_11. It is not about qualifying, the race, or for post race discussion of incidents involving the drivers. Nor is this a fan thread. We do not have fan threads here and if you want a thread only for fans of Alonso to post in, then this is not the forum for you.

This thread is for general discussion of Fernando Alonso that is not already covered or better served by a separate thread. Please post to the topic and ensure you keep within the forum rules.

#13311 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,819 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:22

New blog entry.

http://www.ferrari.c...ia/bl...t….aspx

#13312 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:49

This quote from Fernando could be telling: "Sepang has two real straights where, because they are very long, a lack of top speed carries a higher price than in Melbourne, where the two straights on which you could use DRS were reasonably short."

Given Ferrari's lack of straightline speed and tyre wear, there may not be any holding off of a charging Williams...or other cars with greater top end speed. Hopefully, they can find a balance that allows them to trim the car out, otherwise this weekend could be a bit tougher than Melbourne. Rain could be the great equalizer, though.

#13313 joshb

joshb

• 3,285 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:52

This quote from Fernando could be telling: "Sepang has two real straights where, because they are very long, a lack of top speed carries a higher price than in Melbourne, where the two straights on which you could use DRS were reasonably short."

Given Ferrari's lack of straightline speed and tyre wear, there may not be any holding off of a charging Williams...or other cars with greater top end speed. Hopefully, they can find a balance that allows them to trim the car out, otherwise this weekend could be a bit tougher than Melbourne. Rain could be the great equalizer, though.

but does the car have the downforce to allow Alonso to compete in the wet? Thinking of Hamilton's China 2009 race where the car wouldn't stick and he spun several times. It seemed quite nervous in the dry.

#13314 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 849 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 13:00

Aside from Sepang, a reminiscence of Alonso's first win - Hungary 2003 -
BTW, after 04:00 you can see why the rear wing is important by bringing about 30% of the overall downforce. Ralph Firman knows, too.

#13315 topical

topical

• 2,097 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 13:52

The car doesn't have the downforce for the wet. So either way it looks like Alonso is screwed this weekend. How depressing if that 5th place in Melbourne turns out to be the highlight of the first few races. I can only hope it's not quite as bad as we think.

#13316 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,702 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 14:11

More posts deleted.

Please keep on topic.

#13317 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 15:06

Fernando Alonso ‏ @alo_oficial
I really want to go to the circuit tomorrow, although it will never be the same to race here ...we don't forget Marco. #58forever

Nice words by FA :up:

BTW, +200.000 followers in less than 10 days! :)

Edited by AlanWake, 21 March 2012 - 15:06.

#13318 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 16:42

He do very well with twitter! kike it! :love:

#13319 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 17:25

but does the car have the downforce to allow Alonso to compete in the wet? Thinking of Hamilton's China 2009 race where the car wouldn't stick and he spun several times. It seemed quite nervous in the dry.

To Josh B and Topical,

I hope so. It's pretty much the same car as Ferrari had in Melbourne. Fernando was praying for wet/dry conditions there, so maybe a similar situation will help the team in Sepang, as well.

Driver fitness will be key, also, and having only one DRS zone should help in maintaining position. Just a few more days to find out. It was also cool in Melbourne and will be really hot in Malaysia. Not sure if anyone is really confident on what that wil mean for their car and tyre performance.

Advertisement

#13320 micktosin

micktosin

• 442 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 19:46

He is on twitter. :clap:

#13321 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,819 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:10

Which brings us neatly to Alonso. While Massa has been failing to live up to expectations, the Spaniard has been transcending them, and Melbourne was just another example. Massa set his fastest lap on lap 46 (just before his collision with Bruno Senna) with a 1:31.940, but on the same lap Alonso was 1.6 seconds faster. And in case you don't think it was a fair fight, both were on medium tyres (Alonso's were three laps older), both had roughly a two second gap to the car in front and both had another car pressuring from behind.

Alonso was able to manage his tyres so much better at Albert Park and did so while riding the knife-edge handling of the Ferrari. Rather than attempt to force his driving style upon a car, he has the ability to adapt his approach to the messages he is receiving from each of the four tyres. From 2003 to 2006 Alan Permane was the race engineer in the adjacent Renault garage to Alonso, helping Jarno Trulli and Giancarlo Fisichella to put up as strong a fight as possible. During that period Alonso took his two championship victories and Permane said it was Spaniard's ability to adapt to the tyres that impressed him most.

"Fernando was incredibly impressive in the car and it was not only one lap, it was being able to do it time and time again," he said recently. "When Fernando drove for us in 2003 and 2004 he was incredibly hard on his front tyres and that's how he got the most out of them, he was very, very aggressive.

"So when the FIA brought in single-race tyres in 2005, I remember thinking how is he going to cope with it? But he completely changed his driving style like it didn't matter and just got on with it. Again, that's the sign of a champion, they instinctively know what needs to be done and it wasn't ever a problem for him."

Complete article here: http://en.espnf1.com...tory/73588.html

Nice read.

#13322 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:56

He is on twitter. :clap:

To be honest I dont think its him doing most tweets, and just sends the pictures to someone at Ferrari to put it together. A F1 driver wouldnt waste time doing those photo montages, and is too PR. Same goes for the driverw blog at ferrari.com or the FB page.

#13323 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,819 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:37

To be honest I dont think its him doing most tweets, and just sends the pictures to someone at Ferrari to put it together. A F1 driver wouldnt waste time doing those photo montages, and is too PR. Same goes for the driverw blog at ferrari.com or the FB page.

I think it's him, also his manager and physiotherapist twitter are pretty much in sinc with Alonsos twitter. I doubt Ferrari wil want to manage those too.

#13324 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:58

Not really sure it's him on Twitter. Well, may just be LGA or any other guy in his entourage doing this...

#13325 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:58

I think it's him, also his manager and physiotherapist twitter are pretty much in sinc with Alonsos twitter. I doubt Ferrari wil want to manage those too.

I don't mean it's entirely another person, but I don't think he could be arsed to do montages like these, or putting everything in 3 languages.

https://twitter.com/#!/alo_oficial/medi....com%2FmSJnDRAq

#13326 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,819 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:09

I don't mean it's entirely another person, but I don't think he could be arsed to do montages like these, or putting everything in 3 languages.

https://twitter.com/#!/alo_oficial/medi....com%2FmSJnDRAq

Dude, that montage is something that my 6 years old son can do with paint, even if he didn't do it, he is always with his manager and physio, maybe they have PC skills, also his physio is italian, so I'm pretty sure that he helps him with the italian, and if you can read spanish you will notice that the english tweet a lot of times don't say the same as the spanish ones, that's the sign of someone that can't manage english "properly". I'm pretty sure that's him in the same way as I'm sure that the blog is not done by him, Ferrari PR guys take quotes or interviews and write the blog for him.

#13327 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:15

you can do that type of montage on an iphone in about 6 seconds :)

#13328 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 519 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:56

The blogs I'd believe, the drivers are possibly talking to someone who then transcribes it and it becomes the blog.

The tweets I'd say are Fernando, although from time to time someone else might do the translations.

Edited by toxicfusion, 22 March 2012 - 11:56.

#13329 Alondra

Alondra

• 131 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:11

The blogs I'd believe, the drivers are possibly talking to someone who then transcribes it and it becomes the blog.

The tweets I'd say are Fernando, although from time to time someone else might do the translations.

It's possible but not necessarily so. I'm also a Spaniard born and grown in Spain and my written English is better than my accent.

There are people like Rosario, his x-wife, Pau Gasol and Rossi twitting back to him. There is also the link to his webpage (which still needs a bit of work specially in the English version)

https://twitter.com/#!/alo_oficial is him.

#13330 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 13:29

Dude, that montage is something that my 6 years old son can do with paint, even if he didn't do it, he is always with his manager and physio, maybe they have PC skills, also his physio is italian, so I'm pretty sure that he helps him with the italian, and if you can read spanish you will notice that the english tweet a lot of times don't say the same as the spanish ones, that's the sign of someone that can't manage english "properly". I'm pretty sure that's him in the same way as I'm sure that the blog is not done by him, Ferrari PR guys take quotes or interviews and write the blog for him.

The montage is not hard to do, but I just don't see a driver being arsed to do it, sorry.

Anyway I didn't say it wasn't entirely him, just that he probably gets help when posting it, or with stuff like the 100k followers contest, and most of the time he is just making the pictures.

Edited by prty, 22 March 2012 - 13:29.

#13331 Xsaravts

Xsaravts

• 74 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 13:51

About Alonso on Twitter. He is writting all the twits. Alonso speaks italian better than english. He even gets by very well in french too.

Edited by Xsaravts, 22 March 2012 - 13:58.

#13332 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,819 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 14:08

From the press conference today.

Q. Paolo Ianieri – La Gazzetta dello Sport) Fernando, is it true that you have a visibility problem from your cockpit?

FA: No.

Where is this coming from? :confused:

Q. (Carlos Miguel Gomez – La Gaceta) Michael, one of the last times you were here with Fernando was in 2003; as you may remember Fernando was a young guy and put his finger up to the rest on pole. Did you believe then that that guy could become a World Champion?

MS: I don't know when I started to think that Fernando might be World Champion, but I think his talent has proved that from early stages onwards… I still remember a very good race that you did with Minardi – I think it may even be the first race in Australia. I think he proved his point straight away.

Nice comment from Schumi.

#13333 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 15:14

Too bad the Thursday press conference isn't filmed and broadcasted!

I'd really like to see that :)

#13334 as65p

as65p

• 17,298 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 15:34

From the press conference today.

IIRC, Alonso even half-jokingly said he drives faster the less he sees of the track.  ;)

He always prefers to sit as low as possible, it's nothing new. Maybe the question was from someone who can't believe he's comfortable with that, yet evidently he is.

#13335 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 849 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 15:43

IIRC, Alonso even half-jokingly said he drives faster the less he sees of the track. ;)

He always prefers to sit as low as possible, it's nothing new. Maybe the question was from someone who can't believe he's comfortable with that, yet evidently he is.

Quite dumb question anyway. Imagine someone driving F1 car at 300 km/h, not having good visibility.
In regards to his twitter: the English messages sound just like Alonso on the press-conf, so it looks like the real FA behind the iPhone :)

#13336 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 18:49

From the big large step in Ferrari's nose ?

From Alonso and Massa ending on the gravel in Australia ?

From Massa crashing Senna ?

#13337 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 14:23

Fernandos tatoo :eek:

Posted Image

#13338 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 14:55

Looks like one of those Samurai flags.

#13339 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 15:03

Looks like one of those Samurai flags.

Yes has to do something with samurai.
Alonso read "secret code of the samurai. Hagakure", written in 1716 by Yamamoto Tsunetomo .

Advertisement

#13340 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,819 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:08

Good effort today but the car it's just not there, almost 1 sec behind Rosberg and Rosberg is P8 (P7 with Kimi's penalty), gonna be hard tomorrow with Kimi, Maldonado and Perez behind.

Edited by kosmos, 24 March 2012 - 10:31.

#13341 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 564 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:13

I just wanted to reiterate what a fantastic job this guy is doing. Soldier on Fernando, and that deserved third championship will duly come to you.

#13342 joonz

joonz

• 89 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:43

FA is taking the car to another level with him, really solid drive again.. really makes me wonder how he does it lol.
And this comes from a Kimi fan!

#13343 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:45

FA is taking the car to another level with him, really solid drive again.. really makes me wonder how he does it lol.
And this comes from a Kimi fan!

Domenicalli: "Once again today, Fernando did a great job and it's a shame that he had a KERS problem, the first in a long time." :smoking:

#13344 topical

topical

• 2,097 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:48

How much would Kers realistically have cost here? Would it explain why his Q3 lap was slower than his Q2 lap?
I'm sure he still wouldn't have got close to Rosberg, but if Merc have bad tyre wear problems again, and someone else up front hits trouble, maybe Alonso can sneak another 5th-6th place.
Hardly what we were all hoping for in 2012, but that seems the maximum right now.

#13345 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:05

Posted Image

‎"Still plenty of work and analysis of the times here at the track, tonight at the hotel more work for tomorrow's start"

@alo_oficial on twitter

#13346 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,819 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:10

Very cool pic, a hard worker in his office.

#13347 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,611 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 14:35

Cool pic :up:

#13348 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 564 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:53

Fernando you're a genius. You deserved that win so much! Bravo!

#13349 LH08WDC

LH08WDC

• 564 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:54

Fernando you're a genius. You deserved that win so much! Bravo!

#13350 Massa

Massa

• 4,326 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:56

The best.