Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#13451 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 602 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 18:29

Never been a big Alonso fan, but I am a diehard Ferrari lover, so I have to say... Brilliant. Best driver in the world, and he has been for years.

Advertisement

#13452 jrg19

jrg19

• 6,118 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 18:32

I obviously wanted Lewis to win but i couldn't help grinning like a mad man after the race today, it felt like a real feel good win for Alonso and and seeing Perez up there was great.

#13453 midgrid

midgrid

• 4,790 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 20:27

I've been watching F1 since 1996, and Alonso's win today was one of the best performances that I've ever seen.

He has now surpassed Jackie Stewart's total of 27 victories. :up:

#13454 halifaxf1fan

halifaxf1fan

• 4,846 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 20:29

An absolute brilliant performance by Fernando, to a well deserved win.

His fans must be over the moon......Congratulations!!!

Yes I would say they are and they should be. Simlilar to how I felt after KR's win in Spa 09 I would imagine.

#13455 as65p

as65p

• 17,501 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 20:33

Probably enough praise given already, but... to hell with it: that was a f*cking great performance! :clap:

I still expect a tough season to endure, but thanks to this race I won't ever consider it a total waste. :D

#13456 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,066 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 20:43

I obviously wanted Lewis to win but i couldn't help grinning like a mad man after the race today, it felt like a real feel good win for Alonso and and seeing Perez up there was great.

You said in the race thread you wouldn't mind Fernando winning if Lewis didn't have a shot. Of course I disagree a little. :p But very classy of you sir. Kudos. This forum need more like you and more like some of us that are quick to give congrats when they're due. :up:

#13457 sosidge

sosidge

• 1,669 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 20:46

Fernando is the best at maximising the results, bar none.

A little bit of rain, some great pitwork and a phenomenal driver has put a car that is not even at the front edge of the midfield onto the top step of the podium.

#13458 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,247 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 20:49

How ridiculously dependent are Ferrari on Alonso at the minute? It's becoming like Villeneuve in 1981, dragging a shit car to completely unwarranted heights.

#13459 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 21:04

ALONSO - Happy MOMENTS!

:)

Advertisement

#13460 Richard T

Richard T

• 1,212 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 21:15

ALONSO - Happy MOMENTS!

:)

Wow, That cheer at 0:12 is amazing!

#13461 F1Newbie

F1Newbie

• 802 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 21:26

No other driver could've won that race with that car. For me, the current best driver. If Lewis can't win the championship, I really hope Alonso wins it. Ferrari have plenty of time to turn the table. They did it in 2010 and almost won the championship. Actually, they lost it in 2010 :up:

Edited by F1Newbie, 26 March 2012 - 00:56.

#13462 fisssssi

fisssssi

• 1,061 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 22:43

Amazing result by Fernando. He's been so consistently picking up the 3rd, 4th, 5th places when that's been the best the car can achieve, and yesterday he drove the wheels off the car again and the result was victory. Very happy for him.

Somehow Ferrari turns up with their worst car in years and ends up with their best start to the season in years.

#13463 bl-f1

bl-f1

• 1,087 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 22:51

This guy is a solid driver and a formidable opponent. Today's race was perfection from Ferrari and Alonso. I am sure Alonso will get a decent car sooner rather than later this season. Congratulations.

#13464 antifozy

antifozy

• 179 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 23:00

Amazing. Congrats to all Alonso fans. great job by Alonso, and a steller job by Ferrari strategists. At least something is working correctly at the scuderia :).

#13465 klyster

klyster

• 4,349 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 23:17

Congratulations Fernando, brilliant race, brilliant also from Sergio, Ferrari fans must be proud :)

I'm a Lewis/macca fan but enjoyed the race immensely, well done.

Edited by klyster, 25 March 2012 - 23:18.

#13466 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 23:19

:up:

Credit where credit is due, Alonso was sublime today, got a tad lucky Perez ran wide, but nevertheless ran a masterful race. I'm actually happier he won than Vettel/Red bull. I never thought i'd see the day a Ferrari win didnt make me cringe. Glad to see McLaren/Lewis vs Ferrari/Nando again, even if its possibly short lived.

Edited by TurboF1, 25 March 2012 - 23:20.

#13467 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 23:45

It was a treat to watch. I almost forgot all the anger about Charlie Whiting and his anti-wet weather racing rules. Future F1 tracks should have lots of this tracks characteristics.

The way Alonso is able to push and push and push almost error free is just amazing to see. Reminds me a lot of Senna's best races.

#13468 KavB

KavB

• 1,123 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 00:03

Andrew Benson ‏ @andrewbensonf1
Turns out @alo_oficial's car lost telemetry in race - so he had to read fuel levels to team, manage Kers etc. even more impressive

Wow! This surely has to be Alonso's greatest victory. It would be great if he can win again but I doubt he'll break 30 wins this year. If Ferrari magically manage to turn this car into a contender then Alonso has surely done a great job at keeping his chances alive.

#13469 Creepy

Creepy

• 582 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 00:08

Me too, I miss those times :)

Posted Image

That pic made me feel old, man... Back then in 2005 I had the sweet age of 20 years old, I had all the life in front of me, I was young and innocent... :rotfl:

#13470 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 9,030 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 00:38

Fantastic win for Alonso, super damage limitation. At the moment it looks like he's carrying Ferrari on his back. If they can sort the car quickly he'll be a contender no doubt.

#13471 AMG FAN

AMG FAN

• 890 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 00:44

very brilliant drive from him,i was gutted watching Mclaren struggle after they were going 2 secs per lap faster prior to the SC but one can't fault Alonso,he did all he had to do and credit to the pit boys,they were absolutely magnificent in the pits today,i envy them and i wish Mclaren can learn something from them about how to deal with pressure..

#13472 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,494 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 00:45

Alonso was the best of the world champions, today: he eclipsed them. Only rival was Perez, but the Mexican did push himself to a mistake. Totally deserved win for Alonso, and a race that deserves to become a classic.

#13473 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:44

Excellent win Fernando - only just finished watching the race now and I have to say that it was a nailbiter. Brilliant win by Alonso and a stellar performance by Perez. Good race by Lewis, though the Macca doesn't look to happy in the wet this year...

28 wins. Alonso said they'd need some decent early results to help bolster their championship chances later on - well - so far this is an excellent job.

Beyond unbelievable...

#13474 teejay

teejay

• 3,709 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 01:48

Great drive by Fernando yesterday. Respect given for where it is due.

#13475 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,565 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:14

That was a classic win. On par with Senna at Donnington, or Gilles at Jarama. This one will be remembered 20 years from now; 30 yrs from now.

A victory by the driver. :up: :up:

Brilliant stuff.

#13476 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,339 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:31

I was at the race - Alonso was sublime... Good to see MSC at the end pull up next to him to congratulate him. Proves again why Alonso is the best one out there (from an MSC fan)

#13477 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:35

Wow! So much overreaction! I mean yeah it was an exceptional drive and all that but I don't see how this compares to all time classic rainy races... First half of the race was a lottery and in a second half FA battled with a Sauber FFS... All strong opponents pretty much messed their races up one way or the other without FA being in a direct fight with them at all.

Edited by exmayol, 26 March 2012 - 02:36.

#13478 _bigbadbob_

_bigbadbob_

• 1,000 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:38

Wow! So much overreaction! I mean yeah it was an exceptional drive and all that but I don't see how this compares to all time classic rainy races... First half of the race was a lottery and in a second half FA battled with a Sauber FFS... All strong opponents pretty much messed their races up one way or the other without FA being in a direct fight with them at all.

It wasn't a classic. It's just something to be unexpectedly happy about  ;)

#13479 Starlight

Starlight

• 183 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:39

It was a truly sensational drive!! No doubts about it. However, what is great to see is that he is such a realist. Not getting carried away in the press conference and maintaining that Ferrari needs to do alot of work and that the win changes nothing. Says alot about the type of competitor he is.

COME ON Ferrari!! Get your act together and give him a good car!!!

Advertisement

#13480 exmayol

exmayol

• 554 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:43

It wasn't a classic. It's just something to be unexpectedly happy about ;)

This a can relate too. I would not mind my driver scoring a victory today either so accept my sincere congratulations ;)

#13481 Raelene

Raelene

• 5,339 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:45

for me it was such a shock - it wasn't his race to win...

#13482 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 851 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:11

I was showing Alonso to my three year old daughter, explaining that this is the man who won the GP today (she loves the sound of the engines, can't blame her:) )
Alonso was in his usual racing overall, all red and white, so:
She: "Is that Santa Claus? Looks like him"
Me: "Yeah sweetheart, he was Santa Claus for Ferrari today" :)

Edited by kvarbanov, 26 March 2012 - 05:11.

#13483 bmardini

bmardini

• 326 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:44

Look I'm inclined to agree with you but then you have to apply that same standard to button in oz 2010 for example, or Lewis in silver stone in 08. From a spectator standpoint, it was a classic. But technically, a lot of things had to come together - no moe rain during dry tire switch, perfect pit stops, working car, good driver etc. imagine if we had a sc 8 laps before the end? Lewis would have won probably. So, putting that aside, it was mesmeriIng watching the two of them steam away from everyone, unlikely pair that they are. Hence, it's a classic.

#13484 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:42

I was showing Alonso to my three year old daughter, explaining that this is the man who won the GP today (she loves the sound of the engines, can't blame her:) )
Alonso was in his usual racing overall, all red and white, so:
She: "Is that Santa Claus? Looks like him"
Me: "Yeah sweetheart, he was Santa Claus for Ferrari today" :)

:lol: :up: Very good, love THIS!

#13485 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,319 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:08

I think the nickname the tifosi gave Mansell is quite apt in Alonso's case as well. Il Leone.

#13486 KirilVarbanov

KirilVarbanov

• 851 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:15

More on Alonso: f1Talks.pl has an excellent piece here - it's him, preparing for the race with a pen and paper. Very different perspective.
Just translate the page to your favorite language.

#13487 eta

eta

• 41 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:42

Since the german and austrian newspapers are always full with Vettel/Marko/RBR, today´s words kind of soothe the soul. Sorry for the long post and please excuse my translation skills-so here are some extracts for those who are interested:

With the 5th place in Melbourne and the victory in Sepang, Fernando achieved more than he could have imagined in his wildest dreams. A success which can be attributed to his racing skills only. The F2012 was not a big help so far. The current headlines should be: “Alonso is WDC leader in spite of Ferrari” A look at Felipe Massa´s results, give an idea about how bad the Ferrari actually is. A DNF and P15 in Malaysia speak for itself. The big WDC rivals McLaren and Red Bull Racing messed up both first races. Alonso impresses with his coolness and the right instincts.
-----------
„Fernando is one of the best drivers out there“, compliments Niki Lauda. “He won with a bucket of Ferrari” The “bucket” is underlined by the performance of Felipe Massa, who had no chance of making any WDC points finishing 15th. A collapse under the exceptional talent of Alonso is imminent for the Brazilian.
-----------
Alonso turns the Ferrari into a goddess again
----------
Fernando Alonso had exactly one problem. Since the Spanish national anthem does not have any official lyrics, the 30 year old did not really know what to do with his joy about the victory at the Grand Prix of Malaysia. Instead of escaping into the singing of patriotic verses, he stood there a bit clueless on the podium at the end of a perfect day. After the first beats he began to communicate with his mechanics. A wink here, a wink there, in the end he put his hand behind his ear, as football professionals tend to do when, after a goal, they ask their critics: “What do you say now?”
The gesture of the double world champion was meant exactly this way. There was talk about a completely new car, displacement of the management and an image disaster for the proud Italians anyway. Everyone agreed on Ferrari not being competitive and much less capable of winning. Every gesture of Alonso´s team mate Massa was under examination for a possible dismissal, every minor driving mistake of a red car lead to a synchronous shake of the head of the experts.
After the checkered flag Alonso said: „I am a little surprised as well about the victory. Our goal was to get as much points as possible. Now it´s 25 points. It can´t be better.“
At that point he didn´t even realized that he was leading the WDC. He was only thinking about the satisfaction of proving the skeptics wrong.
-----------
No one would have thought of this after the testing during the season preparation. Least of all Fernando Alonso himself. But right now the double world champion makes the difference. In Australia he forced his Ferrari to P5 and performed better than his car actually allowed. In Malaysia, Alonso was responsible for another magic moment in terms of racing skills. Under the extremely tough conditions he did not make any mistakes, made the pit stop at the right moment and in the end he profited from the inexperience of the Sauber apprentice Sergio Perez, who had Alonso in his sight but lost the concentration for a short moment and went off the track.
At the beginning of this season, Alonso reminds us of Ayrton Senna in 1993, who won 5 races with an inferior McLaren by showing his outstanding driving skills. Under normal circumstances, the Ferrari is maybe the fifth best car on the grid. The class of the car is more represented by Alonso´s team mate Felipe Massa, who drives behind hopelessly and without any points.
Scuderia Ferrari knows exactly about the qualities of their star driver. “He is worth every cent”, says Stefano Dominicalli, while the annual salary is rumored to be around 25 millions. Obviously still too little: “He should be awarded a wage increase”, said the former world champion Damon Hill recognisingly.
-----------
The GP of Malaysia had two stars outshining all others. The grade “11” should be invented for Fernando Alonso. He won with a car, in fact a car with which you can´t win. The Spaniard proved once again that he is the most complete driver on the grid.

#13488 Bruce

Bruce

• 8,355 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:22

I don't know that it's "over-reaction" - but I get what you're saying.

I think that the reason for the excitement is that it has become increasingly rare for a driver to truly be able to "make a difference" in these cars. When I started watching F1 in the early 80s, a great driver could easily shave a second off a car's time through skill alone. The skills are still required just as much, but the ability to save gobs of time through sheer talent have been whittled down year after year. Yesterday, the conditions allowed Alonso (and Perez) to truly overcome the deficit of their machines by instinct, daring and sheer brilliance. The Sauber may be easy on it's tires but that doesn't mean that you'd be expecting Perez to leave third place Hamilton in the dust (not that there was any dust on Sunday....) and Alonso, though he was caught and should, in normal circumstances have been passed by perez, never put a foot wrong...

Alonso, Perez, and to some extent, Senna, all transcended the performance of their cars - and for that reason, I think this race is one to remember.

#13489 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,050 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:25

More on Alonso: f1Talks.pl has an excellent piece here - it's him, preparing for the race with a pen and paper. Very different perspective.
Just translate the page to your favorite language.

That pic is from his tweeter.

Media reaction from Spain and Italy, yesterday it was election day in Spain, so it was impossible to give Fernando the full cover in the general newspapers, there is more but I can't spend half day searching for newspapers covers :well: In general there is a lot of prise for Alonso in a lot of newspapers across Europe today, even the Germans.

Posted Image

Click on the image for full resolution.

Eta thanks for the text ;)

Edited by kosmos, 26 March 2012 - 14:04.

#13490 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 13:43

“Alonso once again saved Ferrari from disaster,” said the authoritative La Gazzetta dello Sport, after the Spanish driver drove the car to fifth place in Australia.

#13491 PNSD

PNSD

• 3,276 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 14:00

If there ever was any doubt about Alonso being the best, the last race ended it.

IMO there is no way his car was quick enough for the win.

Fernando Alonso, pure genius. Give him the 4th/5th best car and he'll go and lead championships (granted, after only two rounds).

#13492 fieraku

fieraku

• 5,304 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 14:07

I thought he could never top Abu Dhabi 2011,that was a monster of a drive .Not in my wildest dreams,but boy oh boy he goes and does it.

The man is magic behind the wheel.This is why I watch and love F1 for special drives like that.
Gracias Fernando.

#13493 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:18

"We are not having the easiest start to the Championship with some problems in the car and some lack of pace but we are working on that, working day and night," Alonso said.

Alonso pushing the team!

#13494 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,050 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:18

Ferrari knows how to treat Fernando very well :lol:

https://twitter.com/#!/FerrariMagazine/...5600642/photo/1

#13495 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 16:23

Ferrari knows how to treat Fernando very well :lol:

https://twitter.com/#!/FerrariMagazine/...5600642/photo/1

They have to treat him well...... ;)

#13496 rsaca

rsaca

• 351 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 18:26

That pic is from his tweeter.

Media reaction from Spain and Italy, yesterday it was election day in Spain, so it was impossible to give Fernando the full cover in the general newspapers, there is more but I can't spend half day searching for newspapers covers :well: In general there is a lot of prise for Alonso in a lot of newspapers across Europe today, even the Germans.

Posted Image

Click on the image for full resolution.

Eta thanks for the text ;)

Thanks for this! This is great.

#13497 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 18:41

Maranello, 26 March - Ferrari Chairmain Luca di Montezemolo met Fernando Alonso today for a long meeting in Maranello. After he had spoken with Montezemolo the Spanish driver met the Team's technicians and mechanics, who didn't go to Malaysia. Later on he went to the gym for some exercise after he had taken part in the usual presentation of the flag with the Prancing Horse, which is run up at the entrance to the Scuderia department after every victory.

#13498 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 18:42

http://www.f1fanatic...n-sepa-2012.jpg

Great pic of fernando with a clear visor.Looking in his mirror to see where perez is perhaps.I still can't believe he won that and is leading the championship

#13499 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 18:44

http://www.f1fanatic...n-sepa-2012.jpg

Great pic of fernando with a clear visor.Looking in his mirror to see where perez is perhaps.I still can't believe he won that and is leading the championship

:love: Great pic - Thank you!

Advertisement

#13500 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:10

The two times world champion was able to demonstrate why he is considered the best driver in the sport. The series of laps he set once he was in the lead, to pull away from Sergio Perez, were absolutely mesmerising.

WEB