Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#13801 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,064 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:32

Just saw the interview, it was a personal interview more than anything. He didn't explain why McLaren is the team he respect the most.

Advertisement

#13802 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:54

Alonso seems to be one of those that you either love him or hate him.

Ferrari loves him, so did Renault, but then there's McLaren..

They love him more than they admit. Btw, not everyone at Renault loved him, there always were 'those' critical voices inside the team.

Just saw the interview, it was a personal interview more than anything. He didn't explain why McLaren is the team he respect the most.

Very sincere, but the sunglasses were annoying. I wonder why he kept them on, to hide his emotions...

Edited by Smile17, 22 April 2012 - 11:55.

#13803 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,064 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 13:55

Not bad, good race, shame that the race wasn't one lap longer. With this car is hard to believe that Fernando is only ten points behind the leader and with one win. The start was amazing again from P9 to P5.

Mugello and Barcelona is coming, let's hope Ferrari can react and give him and Felipe a good car.

#13804 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,405 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 17:23

Fernando is pretty pissed with the stewards:

I think you are going to have fun in future races! You can defend position as you want and you can overtake outside the track! Enjoy! ;)))

#13805 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,369 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 17:45

Fernando is pretty pissed with the stewards:

I found that tweet so amusing. Made me laugh. He has a point though. If he trys any of them moves next race i expect no punishment.

#13806 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 18:04

It is what it is and there is no precedent because each set of stewards follow the rules differently.

Next race it is likely that Charlie Whiting will warn all drivers they will get a penalty if they do what Rosberg did today.

#13807 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 18:51

Bahrain was never his favorite track, but it was a good drive.

Amazing damage limitation in this POS car. Brilliant, consistent, glad to have him in Ferrari. Now it's up to the team. :up: :up:

#13808 PoleMan

PoleMan

• 1,563 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 19:12

Bahrain was never his favorite track, but it was a good drive.

Amazing damage limitation in this POS car. Brilliant, consistent, glad to have him in Ferrari. Now it's up to the team. :up: :up:

He's won 3 times here, so I thought he said he always looks forward to racing here.

Agree on how they've escaped this difficult part of the season mostly unscathed. Now those updates better work! :evil:

Nice job Fernando! You too, Felipe, to open your 2012 points account! :cool:

Edited by PoleMan, 22 April 2012 - 19:12.

#13809 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 19:32

What´s up with Alonso? I get why he´s angry with Rosberg but his attack on Lewis makes no sense. :evil:

#13810 canaus

canaus

• 162 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 19:43

He's won 3 times here, so I thought he said he always looks forward to racing here.

Agree on how they've escaped this difficult part of the season mostly unscathed. Now those updates better work! :evil:

Nice job Fernando! You too, Felipe, to open your 2012 points account! :cool:

He won 3 times here, but never looked brilliant.

#13811 radosav

radosav

• 100 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 19:45

What´s up with Alonso? I get why he´s angry with Rosberg but his attack on Lewis makes no sense. :evil:

he didn't attack hamilton, he is just pointing out that judges were wrong and that they shouldn't make such a compromise. either rosberg made mistake or they should punish hamilton, which would really stupid move. judges decide no one made nothing wrong , but we saw few rules were broken. no overtaking outside the track, you have to leave other car enough space and when you change you driving line to defend yourself you cant go back in racing line. by doing nothing judges made bad precedent and that is what alonso was talking about.
I think you are going to have fun in future races! You can defend position as you want and you can overtake outside the track! Enjoy! ;)))

#13812 sniper80

sniper80

• 525 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 19:51

Nice race by Alonso!

#13813 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 19:52

Maybe because there is a rule that says overtaking outside the limits of the track is not allowed and Alonso backed off to avoid a penalty while Hamilton didn't and still didn't get a penalty.

Remember Button when he was trying to overtake Massa (was it massa?) and Massa "forced" him off the track and jenson overtook him and later on got a penalty?

#13814 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,369 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 20:33

Maybe because there is a rule that says overtaking outside the limits of the track is not allowed and Alonso backed off to avoid a penalty while Hamilton didn't and still didn't get a penalty.

Remember Button when he was trying to overtake Massa (was it massa?) and Massa "forced" him off the track and jenson overtook him and later on got a penalty?

Alonso probs also remembers when he got punished for passing Kubica i think it was off track in 2010

#13815 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,391 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 21:33

Alonso didn´t back off to avoid a penalty, he backed off because he lost momentum and it wasn´t going amy faster than Rosberg anymore.

Button went for an impossible pass, chose to cheat a corner to avoid an incident that he would be causing, made a pass in the proccess, and then didn´t yield. NOTHING to do with this.

#13816 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 21:36

Yes He is angry but cool on decision by FIA, at least in his media talks.

I hope that at the end of the ywear, we will be watching KImi, Fernando, Vetten and Button to fight for championships. Getting more intrested in what may happen at the Mugello tests

#13817 smoothcrim

smoothcrim

• 426 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:16

Alonso probs also remembers when he got punished for passing Kubica i think it was off track in 2010

Thats why he said it,that penalty against Kubica cost Alonso the championship in hindsight.he hasnt forgotten or forgiven.

#13818 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:23

:eek: Alonso threatens a payback

Fernando Alonso‏@alo_oficial

#13819 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,064 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:21

:eek: Alonso threatens a payback

Fernando Alonso‏@alo_oficial

No he is not, it's only a sarcastic comment, if he does those things he is going to be penalized, there is zero tolerance when it comes to Alonso, at least from CW side  ;)

Advertisement

#13820 geGR

geGR

• 1,679 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:10

No he is not, it's only a sarcastic comment, if he does those things he is going to be penalized, there is zero tolerance when it comes to Alonso, at least from CW side ;)

I sincerely hope he does not "do these things". Not because he runs the risk of being penalized, but because not doing these things is what makes him one of the selective few who are almost always fair on track. ;)

Edited by geGR, 23 April 2012 - 07:21.

#13821 goldenboy

goldenboy

• 3,484 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:28

that radio comment was hillarious! had me in stitches for quite awhile. Although, it drove home the point to me that he really is one of the best AND fairest at wheel to wheel racing. He deserved better than that from Nico.

Edited by goldenboy, 23 April 2012 - 07:29.

#13822 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:34

No he is not, it's only a sarcastic comment, if he does those things he is going to be penalized, there is zero tolerance when it comes to Alonso, at least from CW side ;)

How do you know ? Are The Alonso himself ? If not, Its only your freestyle interpretation :wave:

#13823 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:36

that radio comment was hillarious! had me in stitches for quite awhile. Although, it drove home the point to me that he really is one of the best AND fairest at wheel to wheel racing. He deserved better than that from Nico.

Nico was just "dusting" the competition  ;)

#13824 Cesc

Cesc

• 898 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:42

Alonso is a very clean driver, acknowledged by many people, so I don't think he'll do anything dangerous. He's pissed off because Rosberg really pushed him and Hamilton outside the track and that was allowed this time. His penalty in 2010 in Silverstone was extremely harsh as he had to do a drive through 20 laps after the incident, Kubica was not on track by then and on top of that, he had to wait the Safety Car to disapear to do the drive though, which costed him something like 10 or 12 places. It was no- sense and by far much more less dangerous than Rosberg moves.

All in all, I'm really surprised to see that Alonso is only 10 points behind the championship leader... really shoking. Also, quite happy to see Massa at last fighting with McLaren and not with Toro Rosso. i really think that the current Ferrari has done some improvements, and this was probably the worse track for them for now. We'll see if there is really a new package coming for Europe.

Edited by Cesc, 23 April 2012 - 07:46.

#13825 as65p

as65p

• 17,527 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:43

How do you know ? Are The Alonso himself ? If not, Its only your freestyle interpretation :wave:

But your own freestyle interpretation is fine, hm? :D

#13826 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 07:50

But your own freestyle interpretation is fine, hm? :D

No, I took him seriously :o

So when he writes "Enjoy! ;)))" he is ready to delliver.

That's the problem with twitter, hot headed people hurt himself with emotional statements.

#13827 as65p

as65p

• 17,527 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:05

No, I took him seriously :o

So when he writes "Enjoy! ;)))" he is ready to delliver.

That's the problem with twitter, hot headed people hurt himself with emotional statements.

Nah, the problem is desperate people freestyling "Enjoy! ;)))" into something else. :)

#13828 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:23

Nah, the problem is desperate people freestyling "Enjoy! ;)))" into something else. :)

Huh :D

Like "Enjoy Life! Do nothing ;)))"

The expression "Enjoy! ;)))" precedes some action.

#13829 as65p

as65p

• 17,527 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:29

Huh :D

Like "Enjoy Life! Do nothing ;)))"

The expression "Enjoy! ;)))" precedes some action.

Some action, possibly. Not necessarily one's own action. Stop digging, will you? :wave:

But okay, I'll try to remember, shall I one day meet you in a bar, not to buy you a drink and say "Enjoy!", you'd probably interpret it as an invitation to fight. :p

#13830 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:34

Some action, possibly. Not necessarily one's own action. Stop digging, will you? :wave:

But okay, I'll try to remember, shall I one day meet you in a bar, not to buy you a drink and say "Enjoy!", you'd probably interpret it as an invitation to fight. :p

Deal :D Just don't expose yourself and say "Enjoy! ;)))" :lol:

#13831 as65p

as65p

• 17,527 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:17

Deal :D Just don't expose yourself and say "Enjoy! ;)))" :lol:

:up:  ;)

#13832 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 09:31

"If instead of such a wide run-off area there had been a wall, I'm not sure I'd be here to talk about it," said Alonso.

WEB>>>

#13833 radosav

radosav

• 100 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 20:06

Q: You seemed to have a bit of a moment towing Kamui when he pitted?

I saw Kamui was going in and I thought that for 100 or 200 metres I could tow him and then I activate the DRS so that I'd gain a couple of tenths on the lap. Unfortunately there was so much dust that it was a surprise! When I arrived at Turn 1, what I'd won on the straight in terms of lap time, I lost in Turn 1 with the tyres not in good condition. It was not a good moment!

#13834 Sinceref189

Sinceref189

• 585 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 20:20

I saw Kamui was going in and I thought that for 100 or 200 metres I could tow him and then I activate the DRS so that I'd gain a couple of tenths on the lap. Unfortunately there was so much dust that it was a surprise! When I arrived at Turn 1, what I'd won on the straight in terms of lap time, I lost in Turn 1 with the tyres not in good condition. It was not a good moment!

Hahaha Thanks Radosav Alonso makes me laugh ,great driver . It was nice to see him smiling and upbeat in the post race interview He is only 10 points behind and must be content with the damage limitation . I bet he is relishing the test and hoping for a ferrari revival .

#13835 peacockantony

peacockantony

• 1,343 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 20:22

So Nico should have just left him clear space to drive into? So Alonso can get an easy pass. Even though he did not have the speed to pass him.
The rule that Alonso cried about on the radio applies upon entry to a corner, when you move over to block a pass, and then moving over to the racing line, leaving space for the other car.
When exiting a corner, and you are in front, as Rosberg was, you do not have to leave space.
Alonso had no right to complain on the radio as Rosberg did nothing wrong, he did not force Alonso off-track, Alonso did that on his own by not darting to the left side of Nico's car.
Typical Ferrari driver, complaining when they don't get their own way.

#13836 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,071 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 20:42

Where did that quote come from mate?

#13837 radosav

radosav

• 100 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 20:58

Where did that quote come from mate?

http://totalf1.com/f...o_a_proper_job/

#13838 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 00:27

It is what it is and there is no precedent because each set of stewards follow the rules differently.

Next race it is likely that Charlie Whiting will warn all drivers they will get a penalty if they do what Rosberg did today.

You can be sure that it will be discussed at the driver's meeting but Charlie cannot (or at least will not) do anything.

#13839 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,064 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:59

http://totalf1.com/f...o_a_proper_job/

Thanks for the link, smart move indeed, watching the race I thought WTF, but now with this explanation it makes sense now.

Advertisement

#13840 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,455 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 21:16

Anyone else think Alonso is so much more open and relaxed recently? Ever since he's came on to Twitter I've seen a completely different side to him, he appears so different than I expected. He seems a much more fun person than I had imagined, I thought he'd be one of the people constantly focussed on F1 but he seems like an interesting character indeed. He's on my list of people I'd like to have dinner!

Who or what is Tomita?

#13841 IceSkyrim

IceSkyrim

• 867 posts

Posted 24 April 2012 - 21:34

Who or what is Tomita?

Check the instagram thread  ;)

#13842 Pamphlet

Pamphlet

• 414 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 02:43

Anyone else think Alonso is so much more open and relaxed recently? Ever since he's came on to Twitter I've seen a completely different side to him, he appears so different than I expected. He seems a much more fun person than I had imagined, I thought he'd be one of the people constantly focussed on F1 but he seems like an interesting character indeed. He's on my list of people I'd like to have dinner!

He always seemed like that to me. He highly respects his privacy, but Twitter allows him to express himself exactly the way he wants to and reveal just as much as is needed. One thing's for sure - he's one of the best F1-related accounts to follow right now.

Edited by Pamphlet, 25 April 2012 - 03:01.

#13843 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,064 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:48

Fernando will be driving the Ferrari two days in Mugello, day 1 and 3.

#13844 Cesc

Cesc

• 898 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:08

Well, as most of the people, he has highs and lows. He's generally judged ONLY by his episode in McLaren but despite the super level of profesionalism of F1 and high tech and so... he probably had a terrible personal time there. So the age and experience have made him a much more easy to get along guy probably. And besides, he's at a moment of his career that despite of all problems with the car, the F1 world have a lot of respect for him and an Institution (more than a F1 team) like Ferrari is in his hands, you can't really ask for much more!!! (well, a faster car :) ).

#13845 Pamphlet

Pamphlet

• 414 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:14

Well, as most of the people, he has highs and lows. He's generally judged ONLY by his episode in McLaren but despite the super level of profesionalism of F1 and high tech and so... he probably had a terrible personal time there. So the age and experience have made him a much more easy to get along guy probably. And besides, he's at a moment of his career that despite of all problems with the car, the F1 world have a lot of respect for him and an Institution (more than a F1 team) like Ferrari is in his hands, you can't really ask for much more!!! (well, a faster car :) ).

Ironically, the McLaren episode made me think even better of him.

#13846 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:57

+1

#13847 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:59

Who or what is Tomita?

He's a nice chap and has always been. There are a lot more of these funny videos of him since 2001, nothing new really :)

#13848 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,455 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:14

It's probably just that we never got to see much of Alonso away from official PR stuff here in the UK.

#13849 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,064 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 11:52

New Q&A coming in some days.

Fernando Alonso ‏ @alo_oficial

Thanks for sending so many questions, I received 6,323 !! The most repeated ones and the most originals I will answer in the next days! ;)

#13850 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:25

Agreed. The way he exposed Mclaren and Hamilton was priceless. Over the years Ive grown a huge respect for his intelligence. Probably after Schumacher my most favorite driver.