Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#13851 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 13:30

Agreed. The way he exposed Mclaren and Hamilton was priceless. Over the years Ive grown a huge respect for his intelligence. Probably after Schumacher my most favorite driver.

These two guys have the exact same character indeed, only from two opposite backgrounds, one being a little colder than the other :)

Advertisement

#13852 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 13:50

These two guys have the exact same character indeed, only from two opposite backgrounds, one being a little colder than the other :)

Don't agree! :drunk:

#13853 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 14:48

Agreed. The way he exposed Mclaren and Hamilton was priceless. Over the years Ive grown a huge respect for his intelligence. Probably after Schumacher my most favorite driver.

He really exposed them well by saying he respects McLaren most out of all teams in F1 (if what someone wrote on this thread few pages ago is true), and by saying that he never had any problems with Hamilton.

I think that some Alonso fans are still unable to 'digest' 2007., eventhough it seems Alonso did long time ago.

Edited by velgajski1, 25 April 2012 - 15:48.

#13854 AdHoc

AdHoc

• 223 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 15:35

Don't agree! :drunk:

Okay, maybe not the exact same character, but they share a lot of similar traits :p

#13855 as65p

as65p

• 17,211 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:10

He really exposed them well by saying he respects McLaren most out of all teams in F1 (if what someone wrote on this thread few pages ago is true), and by saying that he never had any problems with Hamilton.

I think that some Alonso fans are still unable to 'digest' 2007., eventhough it seems Alonso did long time ago.

Or maybe he's simply still screwing with the heads of your kind... ever thought of that possibility? Just an idea....  ;)

#13856 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:38

Or maybe he's simply still screwing with the heads of your kind... ever thought of that possibility? Just an idea....;)

Yes, I'm sure that his main worry is what velgajski1 will write on autosport forum and any positive comment on McLaren or Hamilton is just to screw with my head. Good one as65p :rotfl:

I am sure he also said this just to screw with my head :)

"It wasn't a perfect end to our relationship, but I know how much he has done for Formula One, and there are not many people like Ron any more.
"Now we have teams with rich people who have come in and bought them, or we have big manufacturers.
"But Ron is a throwback to the old days - one guy developing the team and growing up with them, turning them into a success, winning championships.
"So I wish him all the best for his new life.
"After so many years in Formula One with a successful team, at the top, it is not easy to cope with the pressure."

Edited by velgajski1, 25 April 2012 - 16:43.

#13857 mknight

mknight

• 101 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 16:59

Yes, I'm sure that his main worry is what velgajski1 will write on autosport forum and any positive comment on McLaren or Hamilton is just to screw with my head. Good one as65p :rotfl:

I am sure he also said this just to screw with my head :)

"It wasn't a perfect end to our relationship, but I know how much he has done for Formula One, and there are not many people like Ron any more.
"Now we have teams with rich people who have come in and bought them, or we have big manufacturers.
"But Ron is a throwback to the old days - one guy developing the team and growing up with them, turning them into a success, winning championships.
"So I wish him all the best for his new life.
"After so many years in Formula One with a successful team, at the top, it is not easy to cope with the pressure."

It isn't surprising that he respects him. If we think about it, Alonso and Ron are very similar characters, both ruthless, both aggressive, both will do whatever it takes to get what the want. In the same team it was like fighting fire with fire and the two didn't gel. Now I think they can appreciate that they are very alike and exhibit similar qualities.

It all worked out for the best though, he's at Ferrari now and I don't think any driver has been so culturally and personally suited to a team than him. Wouldn't be surprised if by the end of his career he'll be regarded as one of the most adored Ferrari driver ever, regardless of whether he achieves titles or not.

#13858 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,032 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 19:42

Funny. I have the feeling that it is some McLaren/Hamilton fans who are unable to digest 2007 - they keep on coming back to it like a mantra.

#13859 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 19:51

Funny. I have the feeling that it is some McLaren/Hamilton fans who are unable to digest 2007 - they keep on coming back to it like a mantra.

Hey, it wasn't me who was raving on about how Alonso 'exposed McLaren and Hamilton'. Unless they were cooperating some other season, I think that was a quite clear reference to 2007. :)

Advertisement

#13860 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,032 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 20:11

Hey, it wasn't me who was raving on about how Alonso 'exposed McLaren and Hamilton'. Unless they were cooperating some other season, I think that was a quite clear reference to 2007. :)

Don't get me wrong, in this case it was clear that it wasn't you who first mentioned 2007. But still it is true that people attack Alonso supporters with that "never got over it" line when it is a different group of people who bring it up more often.

#13861 windwaves

windwaves

• 143 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 20:21

I think very very similarly

#13862 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 21:30

Don't get me wrong, in this case it was clear that it wasn't you who first mentioned 2007. But still it is true that people attack Alonso supporters with that "never got over it" line when it is a different group of people who bring it up more often.

That is exactly reason why I used phrase 'some Alonso fans', not wanting to put all of Alonso fans into that category since its quite obvious that not all of them belong there :)

Edited by velgajski1, 25 April 2012 - 21:31.

#13863 matthewf1

matthewf1

• 76 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 21:50

I used to dislike Alonso, but since his Twitter launch I have changed my opinion of him completely. He seems quite an amusing guy, with his tweets in his broken-English and day-to-day updates on his activities. He does also seem very committed to the sport.

I also love the fact that, despite driving an absolute dog of a car, he genuinely thinks he will win the championship this year. Many drivers in better cars are not thinking this at all.

#13864 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 00:56

Thats what I said, he exposed them well, and then remained dignified while the other parties started throwing a lot of mud, showing their true character, if that wasnt apparent enough.

Au contraire. I loved 2007, especially the ending, and the first few corners of the last race :) Classic Alonso.

Since then, hes been regarded as the best F1 driver on the grid, showing mind blowing racing in cars that couldnt give much. Well done. Hope Ferrari can give him a slightly better car soon, or that hell go to Red Bull or Merc.

#13865 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 10:12

This has to be a first, a brazilian journalist that tries to defend Massa and don't badmouth Alonso, in fact he praises him.

“The car is very bad. The fact that Alonso is always scoring (points) just shows that the Spaniard is the best driver of this generation.

“No other driver, however good, could get anything out of that car. I think that’s what’s happening with Massa,” said Leme.

http://www.forumula1...ari-car-is-bad/

#13866 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,660 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:25

Some nice comments from Andrew Benson.

Alonso's position is the most remarkable.

At best, the Ferrari is the fifth fastest car behind the Red Bull, McLaren, Lotus and Mercedes. And there have been times when it was probably the seventh fastest - behind also the Williams and Sauber.

Yet the Spaniard has won a race and conceded only 10 points to the world championship leader after four grands prix.

This stunning demonstration of consistency and skill is why it would be hard to look past Alonso if there was an award for driver of the year so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rs_-_now_p.html

#13867 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:55

And what about the way he was exposed blackmailing his boss and exposed discussing with De la Rosa over text and email how to use and try out the things from the Ferrari IP? Not to mention his behaviour in Hungary qualifying?
Did that win your respect as well? Just curious.

#13868 Pamphlet

Pamphlet

• 414 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:57

And what about the way he was exposed blackmailing his boss and exposed discussing with De la Rosa over text and email how to use and try out the things from the Ferrari IP? Not to mention his behaviour in Hungary qualifying?

I'm not the same guy, but yes, that only made me respect him even more.

#13869 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:01

I'm not the same guy, but yes, that only made me respect him even more.

That is interesting. And a bit shocking for me.
But remind me to never start a business venture with you  ;)

#13870 Pamphlet

Pamphlet

• 414 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:03

But remind me to never start a business venture with you ;)

That's not something I'd plan to venture into any time soon, anyway. And if I did that, it'd only be because you deserved it, much like McLaren in 2007. I believe in justice, poetic or not.

Edited by Pamphlet, 28 April 2012 - 08:03.

#13871 TheBunk

TheBunk

• 4,083 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 08:27

And what about the way he was exposed blackmailing his boss

Speculation.

and exposed discussing with De la Rosa over text and email how to use and try out the things from the Ferrari IP?

At least he admitted it, unlike...

Not to mention his behaviour in Hungary qualifying?

Absolutly. His teammate tried to shaft him, exposing himself even more on an attitude wed see mor eover the years, whilst slurring profanity to his team boss, and Alonso corrected him bigtime. Well done!! :up:

#13872 RedOne

RedOne

• 1,585 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:31

But remind me to never start a business venture with you ;)

You would base who you start bussiness with on speculation and no evidence?

Good luck to you!

Edited by RedOne, 28 April 2012 - 09:33.

#13873 walkindude

walkindude

• 867 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:12

Ah I see.Now that the eternal saint raikkonen was also 'faster than' his teammate,people will have to start to look for other ways to bash alonso.

#13874 thechin

thechin

• 274 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:21

Alonso won a lot of respect from me in Hungary 2007. How many people before have been bullied into submission by Ron Dennis? Here he was, in a team that hated him, playing by the rules, when Ron's special project stabs him in the back. We all know there is no chance that RD would have punished Hamilton afterwards so Alonso took the matter into his own hands.

People forget that he still had the pressure of putting in a pole lap after that, a brilliant example of performance under pressure. 2007 was not Alonso's finest year and he no doubt regrets some of his behaviour that year but Hungary qualifying he was a hero in my book.

#13875 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 11:57

Alonso won a lot of respect from me in Hungary 2007. How many people before have been bullied into submission by Ron Dennis? Here he was, in a team that hated him, playing by the rules, when Ron's special project stabs him in the back. We all know there is no chance that RD would have punished Hamilton afterwards so Alonso took the matter into his own hands.

People forget that he still had the pressure of putting in a pole lap after that, a brilliant example of performance under pressure. 2007 was not Alonso's finest year and he no doubt regrets some of his behaviour that year but Hungary qualifying he was a hero in my book.

Well, I guess we will never know. As a long time McLaren fan I was quite dissapointed with Alonso behavior and 'hitting back with double strength'. Let us not forget that Ron Dennis was actually defending Alonso by trying to convince FIA that Hamilton's behavior messed up qualifying procedures and that Alonso did nothing wrong.
Also, let us not forget that all results same, Alonso would most likely be a 2007. WDC if FIA didn't punish him for Hungary, which in my opinion was very unfair towards Alonso and McLaren.

So, if Alonso had someone to blame in Hungary 2007., it was a) Lewis Hamilton, b) FIA. Ron Dennis did nothing wrong there.

About that 'team hated him'. I am quite sure it wasn't like that at all. You cannot find yourself in situation to fight for WDC in last race if your team hates you. I find it funny how some of Alonso fans are so bloody dramatic about 2007., while Alonso himself isn't dramatic about it at all anymore, and basically puts it all down to differences in philosophy about how racing team should be run (RD strife for equality vs. Alonso opinion that experienced and more established driver should get all those small advantages that you can get during GP event).

Edited by velgajski1, 28 April 2012 - 12:03.

#13876 thechin

thechin

• 274 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:41

Well, I guess we will never know. As a long time McLaren fan I was quite dissapointed with Alonso behavior and 'hitting back with double strength'. Let us not forget that Ron Dennis was actually defending Alonso by trying to convince FIA that Hamilton's behavior messed up qualifying procedures and that Alonso did nothing wrong.
Also, let us not forget that all results same, Alonso would most likely be a 2007. WDC if FIA didn't punish him for Hungary, which in my opinion was very unfair towards Alonso and McLaren.

So, if Alonso had someone to blame in Hungary 2007., it was a) Lewis Hamilton, b) FIA. Ron Dennis did nothing wrong there.

About that 'team hated him'. I am quite sure it wasn't like that at all. You cannot find yourself in situation to fight for WDC in last race if your team hates you. I find it funny how some of Alonso fans are so bloody dramatic about 2007., while Alonso himself isn't dramatic about it at all anymore, and basically puts it all down to differences in philosophy about how racing team should be run (RD strife for equality vs. Alonso opinion that experienced and more established driver should get all those small advantages that you can get during GP event).

I think Ron was always deluding himself a bit with his 'equality' policy. Note how it went out of the window almost completely in 2008, I don't think effectively crippling one of your drivers in qualifying can be considered equal.

I have no problem with someone being favoured - it's the hypocrisy that I don't like.

#13877 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:42

That is some neat rewriting of history!

If anyone in McLaren "hated him" it came after the events of Hungary, not before. The entire debacle of qualifying came about because Hamilton was aggrieved about Alonso being given the additional fuel burning lap (best strategy) which isn't exactly in line with him being "bullied", is it? Both drivers behaved abysmally that afternoon and "hero" is not a word that could be applied to either of them.

Edited by Dunder, 28 April 2012 - 12:43.

#13878 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 13:07

The entire debacle of qualifying came about because Hamilton was aggrieved about Alonso being given the additional fuel burning lap (best strategy) which isn't exactly in line with him being "bullied", is it?

Alonso had extra laps in qualifying in: Spain, period.
Hamilton had extra laps in qualifying in: Monaco, USA, Silverstone, [he avoided Alonso to have his in Hungary], Fuji.

You would have thought that after Hungary, given that Hamilton stole it, the next available extra lap (at it wasn't possible to have in every circuit, it depended on laptime), would go to Alonso. Instead, it went to Hamilton again in Fuji.

In 2010 Alonso explained that after Hungary, McLaren told him that from that point onwards, the extra lap would alternate between him and Hamilton. Then he went to check the calendar, and in the GPs where it would be his turn, the circuit laptime wouldn't allow for any extra laps.

Now it doesn't sound as equal as you painted it, does it?

#13879 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 13:08

I think Ron was always deluding himself a bit with his 'equality' policy. Note how it went out of the window almost completely in 2008, I don't think effectively crippling one of your drivers in qualifying can be considered equal.

I have no problem with someone being favoured - it's the hypocrisy that I don't like.

In 2008. you also had equality up until half a season when it was obvious that Kovalainen is not up for the job.

I do not know what you mean by 'effectively crippling one of your drivers in qualifying'. If you mean by Hamilton Hungary incident, it was single occasion, and it was FIA that has done wrong to McLaren and Alonso in that race, not Ron that did something to Alonso. I repeat, McLaren defended Alonso and blamed incident on Hamilton in front of FIA.

Advertisement

#13880 P123

P123

• 8,226 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 13:20

Hamilton had extra laps in qualifying in: Monaco, USA, Silverstone, [he avoided Alonso to have his in Hungary], Fuji.

You would have thought that after Hungary, given that Hamilton stole it, the next available extra lap (at it wasn't possible to have in every circuit, it depended on laptime), would go to Alonso. Instead, it went to Hamilton again in Fuji.

In 2010 Alonso explained that after Hungary, McLaren told him that from that point onwards, the extra lap would alternate between him and Hamilton. Then he went to check the calendar, and in the GPs where it would be his turn, the circuit laptime wouldn't allow for any extra laps.

It's unfortunate that such factual inaccuracies are accepted as the truth, woven into nice little stories that show Alonso as the wronged party. Hamilton did one more lap in Monaco (he was heavier) and one more lap in the US. The rest of the season they did exactly the same number of laps in qualifying, except for France and Nurburgring where they had mechanical issues. There was no need for this ficticious alternation of 'extra laps' as the extra lap was only ever goverened by track length, and was only crucial in Hungary.

#13881 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 13:32

Frankly, I think it does.
Hamilton did have the extra lap in Monaco but was fuelled 5 laps heavier. Alonso was given the optimal strategy for the race.

I would certainly acknowledge that things changed after Hungary and we could debate the rights/wrongs of that forever.

#13882 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 13:35

It's unfortunate that such factual inaccuracies are accepted as the truth

[...]

Hamilton did one more lap in Monaco (he was heavier) and one more lap in the US. The rest of the season they did exactly the same number of laps in qualifying, except for France and Nurburgring where they had mechanical issues. There was no need for this ficticious alternation of 'extra laps' as the extra lap was only ever goverened by track length, and was only crucial in Hungary.

Oh, but it isn't the number of laps that count, but when they are made, as they couldn't pit simultaneously or one of them would lose number of laps. For example, at Fuji, they did the same number of laps, but with the green color meaning lap with new tyres:

http://www.fia.com/r...ap_Times_07.pdf
Posted Image

Hamilton got the 'extra one', and that less than one tenth difference came from that. Which then in the race meant a lot, since visibility was only good for the first placed car.

It is indeed unfortunate that such factual inaccuracies are accepted as the truth. The 'extra lap count' stays: 5 to 1. And again, that's far from the self-proclaimed equality.

was only crucial in Hungary.

Also, it was crucial everywhere, as McLaren decided that whoever was in front in the races (where you couldn't overtake as there was no DRS) would get the best strategy. Effectively, if you qualify in front, you end the race in front.

Edit: Anyway, there's a thread for discussing this...

Edited by prty, 28 April 2012 - 14:02.

#13883 D.M.N.

D.M.N.
  • RC Forum Host

• 7,182 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 14:03

Please can we keep the 2007 Alonso/Hamilton talk out of this thread, as the arguments tend to run around in circles. Thank you.

#13884 ascension

ascension

• 42 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 18:51

Posted Image
He looks so cool in this picture, IMHO.
Posted Image

#13885 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,494 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:22

Posted Image
Posted Image

That's contrast: it's because the girls are very hot.

#13886 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,116 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:46

Cool? Can you post something sensible please? That photo is just horibble btw, the girls are even worse..

#13887 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 19:58

Cool? Can you post something sensible please? That photo is just horibble btw, the girls are even worse..

An uncomfortable Fernando sneaking a peek behind his specs and two attractive chesty girls is fine by me! :p

#13888 pinkypants

pinkypants

• 1,414 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 20:00

Industrial silicone ftw...

How long has Nando got on his Ferrari contract.. any chance he will jump ship back to McLaren or another team?

#13889 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 20:05

Industrial silicone ftw...

Lucy Pinder and Michelle Marsh are 100% natural in that department btw, its their unique selling point(s).. :p  ;)

#13890 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 20:08

Posted Image

:love: :up:

#13891 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 20:17

Posted Image

Would you look at the buns on that! :love:

He must work out.

#13892 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 20:28

Posted Image

Great pic Conny! Did you see the picture of Nando as a kid?

"27 years later, the helmets have changed a lot.."
Posted Image

Original Tweet/Link

#13893 mknight

mknight

• 101 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 21:33

Great pic Conny! Did you see the picture of Nando as a kid?

"27 years later, the helmets have changed a lot.."

Saw that when he tweeted it, yet another pleasant surprise of how great his tweets have been. Every one of his tweets have real quality to them, he doesn't do what I like to call bull**** tweets, they're either creative, insightful or funny.

Looking at that picture though, I could never have guessed that sweet chubby-cheek kid would turn out to be one of the most revered and aggressive personalities in F1. :p

Edited by mknight, 28 April 2012 - 21:33.

#13894 Gintonious

Gintonious

• 974 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 21:34

Thought he had a big tattoo on his back?

#13895 engel

engel

• 5,037 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 21:59

it's probably cause I 've had a few too many drinks but I found the Alonso bits in the Bahrain edition of Mini Drivers hilarious

#13896 CrucialXtreme

CrucialXtreme

• 4,010 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 22:30

Thought he had a big tattoo on his back?

The photo in question was taken in 2010 before he got the tattoo.

#13897 tifosiMac

tifosiMac

• 6,561 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:42

The photo in question was taken in 2010 before he got the tattoo.

Its a pretty shocking tattoo too!! Thank goodness he's paid enough money to get it removed when he realises. :eek:

#13898 puxanando

puxanando

• 3,538 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 09:43

Posted Image

Fernando Alonso
@alo_oficial

Hoy de cena con compañeros del colegio..!! Today dinner with friends from school..!!

#13899 SirRacer

SirRacer

• 1,162 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 13:31

Posted Image

How awesome is this?

I wish I was one of his friends from school, even tho I'd be really envious seeing how far he reached while I'm still a regular human being :rotfl:

- So Fernando, remember that exam I let you copy? Turns out that I need a new car... :rotfl:

Edited by SirRacer, 29 April 2012 - 13:33.

Advertisement

#13900 Cavani

Cavani

• 905 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 16:54

Posted Image
Posted Image

those absolutely work for me , i dont care if its made of wood , they just have to be round and big