• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#1351 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 20:27

You focus on some irrelevant theories

You're right - it was wrong of him to focus on your irrelevant theory that "Fernando doesn't sell as much" :up:

Advertisement

#1352 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 20:37

Yeah, right. Why don´t you look at this video and come back with an opinion that is in touch with reality.

Alonso's telemetry showed he didn't break test DC: He did brake at the same point during the last four laps prior to the incident.

#1353 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,190 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 20:38

I have never seen Alonso's face like that. He is looking very furious voov.

http://www.dailymoti...nrasy-duy_sport

#1354 OO7

OO7

• 9,381 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 20:46

Despite his whinging, Alonso is first and foremost a racer, why would he give Kobyashi the corner - Manners aren't exactly his strong point!

Precisely. He was defending his position, and to me it looked like he was surprised by Kobi's move. He initially tryed to cover the inside while braking deep, but it was too late and he locked the rears. If he had try to move further to the right during the manoeuvre, he probably would have spun.

#1355 F1Johnny

F1Johnny

• 5,556 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 20:57

Why does he say the investigation took 20 laps? It didn't. At most 14 laps.

#1356 Mc_Silver

Mc_Silver

• 2,190 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 21:04

You're right. I think it took 20 minutes to take the decision.

#1357 bonjon1979

bonjon1979

• 1,117 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 21:57

yours is the Lewis's School of Thinking is see: that of lying.
argue about the extremely dirty/unsporty behavoir and lies if you can.
There is no excuse.
You focus on some irrelevant theories and ignore the forest of lies in front of you: they keep favoring Lewis (not penalizing Alo, thats the collateral effect only).
I wonder what the next reprimand or useless penalty be for...

This is the Fernando Alonso thread. I was focusing on him rather than the incident. Go to the other thread and you will read that the penalty hamilton was handed was in line with similar incidents ie rosberg in Singapore and the amount of time it took to hand out the penalty (14 laps) was again in line with most decisions in race conditions (bare in mind that there had been a serious crash that race control were dealing with, then you can understand that they weren't watching the safety car line with eagle eyes and it took a little time for the penalty to be handed out). Also, if it weren't for Kobi then Hamilton wouldn't've been able to build up the gap he did (fia conspiracy still?). If you read Hamilton's answer, he said he was accelerating down the start/finish straight - which he did - when he was approaching the first corner you see him look down at the delta lap time he was given and he slows down - he then sees the safety car at the last moment and accelerates. All this in just a few seconds, I might add - is Hamilton really being favored? No, he was penalised with the appropriate penalty. As FA was when he did a jump start in China which by the way took 6 laps to process, even though Charlie Whiting saw it himself. FA was greatly helped by being able to race at the front for those laps and then serve the drive through just after an accident. Hamilton has been penalised more than any driver in the last 3 years, while some of them are definitely deserved, others haven't been - Hamilton cutting the chicane in Spa was exactly the same as the incident where Fernando cut the chicane in Japan 2005. Alonso was quite rightly upset at being dumped into the middle of the pack but lets not start to believe these conspiracy theories because they simply don't hold water.

What happened at the weekend, I'm afraid is the rub of the green, Alonso and possibly his fans need to stop jumping at shadows and accept that sometimes things aren't going to go all their own way. I'm sure if the shoe was on the other foot and it was Alonso in front of Hamilton then everyone on this thread would be singing his praises and please don't suggest that LH is the only driver guilty of bending the truth to suit their own agenda. FA, MS, AS, AP...in fact all the top drivers, present themselves as the ones in the right even though they may not be. Let's not get into all the things that certain drivers have done in the past because we'll be here forever because ALL of them prefer to present themselves as the innocent party rather than not. Fernando needs to get over it and drive his car.

EDIT: The following was from an Alonso fan.

Hamilton did nothing wrong today, he did a good job today. I've not changed my opinion on him after this race, I still admire him but he has confirmed to be the luckiest and the cleverest driver on the grid.

We Alonso Fans are angry because we think he deserved a better result than his 8th place! We were denied a great battle between him Hamilton for the 2nd place due to the safety car rules. Shit happens.

Edited by bonjon1979, 28 June 2010 - 22:05.

#1358 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 23:13

Please take specific discussion about the incident to the appropriate thread. I appreciate that this is a general thread and the subject can be touched upon here, how it affected him etc, but we would prefer it if this thread stayed clear of it to avoid spreading the discussion across multiple threads.

We will start to delete rather than move threads which continue off topic here.

#1359 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:30

Alonso is doing well.
Bad luck and some errors (remember that this is his first season with the team) have put him in a not very comfortable situation at the WC's tables.
But the pace, determination and Ferrari integration is looking good.

Advertisement

#1360 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,143 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:39

Ferrari need to get their heads together and never let up.
The best thing about the weekend was Vettel won, Vettel was slipping away but this win helps him a lot championship wise.

Mclaren arent going to designate No.1 to LH since JB isnt far behind.
What we have is a 4 way battle, where there is a chance for a cleverer and luckier Ferrari to upset the apple cart. :)

Never seen a season like this with top 4 drivers all with equal wins midway thro the season.

#1361 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,211 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 08:59

Never seen a season like this with top 4 drivers all with equal wins midway thro the season.

Wasn´t 2007 the same with Alonso, Raikkonen, Hamilton and Massa sharing the wins till midseason - 2 wins each until the French GP, then Kimi won the British GP as well to make it 3 Kimi 2 Fernando, Felipe, Lewis.

It is amazing how often I have heard this argument now that people have never seen a season like this with an equal spread of victories, yet the last season like this is just 3 years ago....

#1362 nawz

nawz

• 474 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:13

I've never been a huge fan of Alonso. However, I can admit to his skills but his behaviour is certainly questionable. He has every right to be upset but he didn't use it to his advantage nor did he show characteristics of a double world champion. I was pretty alarmed by his out burst.

#1363 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,746 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:21

Alonso has only got 1 win at present where the other drivers all have 2.

5 Fernando Alonso 98
6 Robert Kubica 83

Depending on the Renaults form - which seems ever improving - Alonso and Kubica may be mixing it up for 5th in the championship later in the season thats a fight id love to see...

#1364 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:23

I've never been a huge fan of Alonso. However, I can admit to his skills but his behaviour is certainly questionable. He has every right to be upset but he didn't use it to his advantage nor did he show characteristics of a double world champion. I was pretty alarmed by his out burst.

My thoughts excactly. I've never underestimated his skills on track but his off track behaviour has been too much for me for a long time. This time is no different, it's like every season there is some major conspiracy going on against him. I think he and his fans would enjoy F1 much more if he would just STFU and drive.

#1365 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:27

My thoughts excactly. I've never underestimated his skills on track but his off track behaviour has been too much for me for a long time. This time is no different, it's like every season there is some major conspiracy going on against him. I think he and his fans would enjoy F1 much more if he would just STFU and drive.

there is no conspiracy :stoned: , there are facts and he said that
he sticked by the rules and his damage was bigger than the damagae of a guy who broke the rules.
no conspiracy
the stewards reacted far too late and so manipulated the outcome of the race
no conspiracy

why is alonso not allowed to say the truth?

#1366 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:28

5 Fernando Alonso 98
6 Robert Kubica 83

Depending on the Renaults form - which seems ever improving - Alonso and Kubica may be mixing it up for 5th in the championship later in the season thats a fight id love to see...

The 15pts gap between Alonso and Kubica shows how consistently RK scored points. But I expect the gap to increase because Ferrari and Alonso will start scoring good points from now on with all the major updates they implemented.

#1367 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:30

Off track behavior molds one's charismatic character. You can like or dislike. I for one think Alonso fortunately isn't the guy to just sit there and accept all kind of shit. He likes to express himself right away. :up:

#1368 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

I believe the word you are looking for here is affected, not manipulated.

Manipulated implies creating an effect that is wanted by the manipulator - therefore using this word implies conspiracy.

If all you are wanting to say is that the time taken to make the decision had an impact on the race, but that this impact was not desired or sought by the stewards, then "the stewards reacted far too late and so affected the outcome of the race" would be more appropriate.

#1369 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

very good interview with alonso, although he was screwed, he reacts proffesional :up:

#1370 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:33

Possible there should be a time gap for stewards to react?
Or if not possible the penalty should fit the race positions at the time they agree on a incident.

#1371 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,695 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:36

5 Fernando Alonso 98
6 Robert Kubica 83

But there are still 4 drivers with 2 wins each, so that was correct.

#1372 Headspin

Headspin

• 278 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:37

Off track behavior molds one's charismatic character. You can like or dislike. I for one think Alonso fortunately isn't the guy to just sit there and accept all kind of shit. He likes to express himself right away. :up:

I respect that (and your avatar). It's about perception, we see his comments from a different view.

#1373 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,746 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:41

But there are still 4 drivers with 2 wins each, so that was correct.

Yes - Sorry :o)

#1374 Berlinette

Berlinette

• 49 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:48

You're right. I think it took 20 minutes to take the decision.

According to FIA documents, it took 48 minutes from the moment Lewis overtook the SC, to the moment the DT was imposed:
http://fia.com/en-GB...document-38.pdf

#1375 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:52

I find I'm starting to think "Martina Hingis" with Fernando. He had his great opportunity and took it well, in 05/06. Now the big hitters are in the sport and he's struggling. So far this year he has one inherited win, one inherited 2nd, one 3rd... the points position is quite flattering really.

I think his rage is partly about this. Not only did Hamilton consign his 07, 08 and 09 seasons to the bin, now his Ferrari career is not looking like it's going to be the route to great things either. The car is only 3rd best, joint 2nd perhaps, and he's dependent on his driving alone to go tackle Hamilton, Vettel and the others.

And his driving has not been that great. He does still have that star quality somehow, but the mistakes, poor racecraft, poor tactics, it's all mounting up. In Valencia the safety car was still well within the pitlane exit when he meekly tucked in behind it instead of following Hamilton through. The he gets in a fury about it and lets Kobayashi through as well. Add that to the Canada woes, a lot of invisible races, it's not championship stuff.

#1376 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,746 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:54

According to FIA documents, it took 48 minutes from the moment Lewis overtook the SC, to the moment the DT was imposed:

No - it took 48 minuites to release the document.

#1377 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:56

you've got it all wrong, man ....how could the decision be imposed in 48min????? Do you know how long the race was? :rotfl:

Edited by rko281, 29 June 2010 - 09:56.

#1378 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:57

:up: yes - Hamilton served his penalty at approx 14:52 and was given it at approx 14:47.

#1379 Berlinette

Berlinette

• 49 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:00

Oops, I'm sorry then ;)

Advertisement

#1380 Tactical

Tactical

• 60 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 10:13

I find I'm starting to think "Martina Hingis" with Fernando. He had his great opportunity and took it well, in 05/06. Now the big hitters are in the sport and he's struggling. So far this year he has one inherited win, one inherited 2nd, one 3rd... the points position is quite flattering really.

I think his rage is partly about this. Not only did Hamilton consign his 07, 08 and 09 seasons to the bin, now his Ferrari career is not looking like it's going to be the route to great things either. The car is only 3rd best, joint 2nd perhaps, and he's dependent on his driving alone to go tackle Hamilton, Vettel and the others.

And his driving has not been that great. He does still have that star quality somehow, but the mistakes, poor racecraft, poor tactics, it's all mounting up. In Valencia the safety car was still well within the pitlane exit when he meekly tucked in behind it instead of following Hamilton through. The he gets in a fury about it and lets Kobayashi through as well. Add that to the Canada woes, a lot of invisible races, it's not championship stuff.

Oh man, always amazing to see so different interpretations of the same things.

Alonso has just begun his time at Ferrari. This has been just his 8th race with them. There's a lot to come.

He feels frustrated. Of course, any true racer will feel that way watching events like this last one and others: illegal movements from time to time 'conveniently' punished. The funny thing is when following the rules make him a whiner, a moaner, a cry baby... Irony... And no, not Singapore again. He clearly said to whom wanted to listen: he risked his life then as in any other race. One can believe him or not, exactly the same with Hamilton, everyone can choose to believe him. Or not.

His driving has been awful, according only to your wishes. Some of you only see great, special drivings when winning the race, and usually only when favourite driver is the main star. Understandable, but I have not forgotten the clutch issue and how he tried until the end, or the two previous years at Renault, all the problems at McLaren (the real frustrated childhood dream).

And again, Kobayashi was brilliant, but overtakings were only possible thanks to supersofts. Brilliant strategy. I think no driver would have stopped Koba under those same circunstances.

Cheers.

Edited by Tactical, 29 June 2010 - 10:17.

#1381 nawz

nawz

• 474 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:23

you've got it all wrong, man ....how could the decision be imposed in 48min????? Do you know how long the race was? :rotfl:

I don't mean to derail the topic but I think the length of the decision was also due to webber's crash. At a time like that I think acting accordingly and safely is up-most priority not throwing out penalties here and there as soon as possible.

Edited by nawz, 29 June 2010 - 11:23.

#1382 prty

prty

• 5,221 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:38

Well all they had to do is watch a 10 seconds clip. It's so hard.

#1383 robefc

robefc

• 8,107 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:46

Well all they had to do is watch a 10 seconds clip. It's so hard.

Actually they tried that, hamilton's onboard I believe, but it was inconclusive so they ordered footage fomr the copter.
They also had the timing transponders of both cars but didn't know the position of the transponders in each car and as it was so close they needed this information.

Anyone who isn't blinded by emotion can see that circumstances conspired to a) make it take a while to ensure there was a penalty and b) then mean that hamilton didn't lose his place due to what happened in the race.

This really is a non story but alonso and ferrari are doing a good job of whipping everyone up into an unjustifiable frenzy about it.

#1384 Muz Bee

Muz Bee

• 2,531 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:53

:up: Agreed. While he has made a below par Massa look ordinary his season so far has been blighted by poor racecraft as well as a none too impressive Ferrari. Massa as I thought will struggle to regain the form he showed before the bang on the skull so Fernando's trouncing of him is not really mega. His one win at the opening round was a wee bit lucky also.

The way he sulks and rants have really put paid to his reputation as the complete professional we thought was his in earlier (winning) Renault days. That he can't get over Hamilton ever since 2007 is a stain on his character IMO although I wonder if "manipulated" was really a fair translation of his interview. Sometimes these translations can skew a comment into the sensationalist form. Anyway he needs to get his head down and stop expecting F1 to provide him a ready path to success. Safety car periods are a pain in the but however they have been foisted on F1 and they will provide unfair situations as was the case at Valencia.

#1385 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 11:55

48 minutes, for checking a video :stoned:

stewards :down:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 29 June 2010 - 11:55.

#1386 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:09

It didn't take 48 minutes. Sheesh, is it that hard to read the thread?

#1387 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:11

It didn't take 48 minutes. Sheesh, is it that hard to read the thread?

looking at the fia document it did!

#1388 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,746 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:12

It took 48 minuites to send the press release....

The penalty was well served by that point...

#1389 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:13

At 15:19, the race was entering its 44th lap: http://f1.autosport....pchart.php/id/9

Hamilton served his penalty on the 27th lap.

As Mika explained, the time between the incident and the time on the document is the time it took to release that document to the public.

#1390 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 12:19

My bad!
Nevertheless it Took to Long!

Edited by YellowHelmet, 29 June 2010 - 12:19.

#1391 Onyemaechi

Onyemaechi

• 312 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 13:01

Alonso is simply a spoilt brat and a sour loser. :o
Lets be honest. He didnt want a penalty for Lewis. He wanted a penalty that will put Lewis behind Senna and Chandok. :rolleyes:
Teamradio (Alonso): "Wot posicion Lewis wos before the penalty and wot posicion Lewis wos after the penalty?"
Highly unprofessional :drunk:

Edited by Onyemaechi, 29 June 2010 - 13:04.

#1392 fnz

fnz

• 2,138 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 13:09

Lets be honest: He said a DT was the correct penalty, no way a DT would put LH behind BS or KC! He was/is just pissed about the amount of time it took the stewards to hand out the penalty

#1393 MinT

MinT

• 2,106 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 13:16

Not sure he knows what he is annoyed about.

Alonso does seem to have lost the plot..time for Massa to get stuck in if he can.

#1394 Onyemaechi

Onyemaechi

• 312 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 13:21

Yeah! 100% :up: Ferrari needs Massa to step up to the plate so that Alonso will start concentrating on the race and letting the likes of Buemi bother him or even Kobayashi pass him :rolleyes:

#1395 RC127

RC127

• 933 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 13:33

Bloomin' hell, I realise many other forumers will have posted to this/similar effect, but I can't believe with the British Grand Prix a mere 12 days away, Ferrari/Alonso are behaving like this! Don't they realise the reception they will get at Silverstone?

It is brilliant, don't get me wrong, and the atmosphere will be electric at Silverstone, especially now with the drivers taking shots at one another via the media - the "sour grapes" quote at http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/84882 is delicious, Lewis just egging him on now, superb! Heaven help it if the two are in close quarters during the race, I fear we could have an almighty shunt between them, if Alonso can't calm down!

I think it is like the WWE (nee WWF)! First, Alonso turned "heel" (bad) in 2007 with the shenanigans in Q3 at the Hungaroring (not to mention the near blackmailing of Ron Dennis), fans such as myself started to dislike him. He goes to Renault, makes some reconcilliatory remarks in the media to the effect that he was more at war with Dennis/McLaren than Lewis, wins a couple of grand prix in 08 (albeit one which is subsequently tainted for all time by the unbelievable "crashgate" scandal). Effectively he had turned "face" (good) again. Now, backed into a corner after a difficult first half of the season, he turns "heel" again at the perfect time - just before the British GP - thus setting up a titantic battle at the modified Silverstone track. :up:

I honestly thought (and said to the wife) "Kamui better not take Alonso off when he tries to send one up the inside, otherwise I think Fernando will batter him!" - amazed he let his paranoia, insecurities, etc. come to the fore in the way he did - thought it was basic sports psychology not to show your opponents you are hurting, otherwise they know how to get under your skin and make you even more ineffectual...

Edited by RC127, 29 June 2010 - 13:34.

#1396 WheelBanger304

WheelBanger304

• 357 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 14:05

Great analogy. In both cases, I would argue there was that one psychological moment upon which an entire career turned. In Hingis' case it was the 1999 French Open final, during which she had a mental breakdown from which, in retrospect, her career never recovered. She was facing Steffi Graf; I remember reading some rather catty comments she had been making before the tournament to the effect that "the other girls are just jealous that I can put the ball anywhere I want to". As I was reading those words, I thought: she's never going to fulfill her promise. Such hubris - basically just vanity - cannot sustain lasting sporting greatness; you need a degree of humility and respect for going out and earning success on the court each and every day, whether in practice or in training, that is the very antithesis of the "I'm Martina Hingis; F*ck I'm Good, Just Ask Me" attitude. Nadal has that humility and dedication in spades; Federer has it; all the true greats have had it. Hingis sadly was just a pretender. In the end the canny French crowd sussed out what she was and started booing all her prima donna moves - questioning line calls, taking endless toilet breaks, etc - and she lost in three sets, having been three points from victory at one point. She was in floods of tears and her mother had to comfort her after the match. Rarely, if ever, have I seen such a wild, weird soap opera of a sporting occasion. After the match I thought to myself, "she'll never win a big one again". And she didn't. She was just eighteen years old.

I would argue that Alonso fell prey to the exact same thing when he arrived at the dream team of his boyhood in 2007. Conveniently ignoring McLaren's well-known ethos of getting the two best drivers they could and letting them race, he expected them to bow down and give him a magic carpet ride to the title, with Hamilton the rookie playing the part of his willing domestique. When Hamilton turned out to be slightly faster than him, Alonso expected the team to slow him down. When they didn't he genuinely could not believe it, so much had he come to believe in his own hype. So he started going on about the legendary six tenths he'd brought to the team and about racing the English driver in the English team. It was all rubbish, and he knew it, but it was the only way he could reconcile the "I am Fernando Alonso" mindset he'd been suckered into falling into - probably by Briatore with the help of hangers-on in his entourage and press toadies like Lobato - with the reality of his being matched and often beaten on track by a virtually unknown rookie.

If Alonso really had had it in him to develop into a legend like Prost or Senna or Clark or Schumacher, he would then have redoubled his efforts, working harder with his team to see how they could put down the upstart rebellion. But, like Hingis at the 1999 French Open, he took the first convenient opportunity (Hungarian GP) to effectively give up, and by his cowardly and disgraceful actions revealed himself to the whole world as a mere pretender. He will never be a legend and IMO will never again be WDC, NOT because he lacks the requisite talent, but because he long ago stopped respecting the old sporting adage that you must be prepared to "bring it", each and every day, each and every race/match/game, not expecting incessant praise for your beautiful backhand or special treatment for your mythical six tenths, but working harder to always get better. There's always something you can improve. Once he stopped trying to get better and started expecting people to treat him "with the respect befitting a double world champion" - i.e. to favour him over the rookie -, it was all over for him. A cautionary tale.

You Alonso fans can quote me on this: like Vettel, who will never come good unless he acknowledges that he was at fault in the Turkey coming together with Webber, Alonso will never again be WDC until he returns to the mindset he had before he came to McLaren and started expecting to be gifted results and treatement which he had not earned. If I ever hear of him apologizing sincerely to McLaren and Dennis, whom he unfairly maligned, then I will again begin to think of him as a live contender. But until then, like Vettel, who will not win a championship this year - despite having the best car and Marko there to unsettle his teammate - or any year until he first acknowledges his fault in Turkey, Fernando will not achieve his ambition of getting his third championship until he comes clean about 2007 and reverts to the mindset he had when he was still traveling, rather than that which he adopted when he felt he'd already arrived.

#1397 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 14:26

Bloomin' hell, I realise many other forumers will have posted to this/similar effect, but I can't believe with the British Grand Prix a mere 12 days away, Ferrari/Alonso are behaving like this! Don't they realise the reception they will get at Silverstone?

It is brilliant, don't get me wrong, and the atmosphere will be electric at Silverstone, especially now with the drivers taking shots at one another via the media - the "sour grapes" quote at http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/84882 is delicious, Lewis just egging him on now, superb! Heaven help it if the two are in close quarters during the race, I fear we could have an almighty shunt between them, if Alonso can't calm down!

I think it is like the WWE (nee WWF)! First, Alonso turned "heel" (bad) in 2007 with the shenanigans in Q3 at the Hungaroring (not to mention the near blackmailing of Ron Dennis), fans such as myself started to dislike him. He goes to Renault, makes some reconcilliatory remarks in the media to the effect that he was more at war with Dennis/McLaren than Lewis, wins a couple of grand prix in 08 (albeit one which is subsequently tainted for all time by the unbelievable "crashgate" scandal). Effectively he had turned "face" (good) again. Now, backed into a corner after a difficult first half of the season, he turns "heel" again at the perfect time - just before the British GP - thus setting up a titantic battle at the modified Silverstone track. :up:

I honestly thought (and said to the wife) "Kamui better not take Alonso off when he tries to send one up the inside, otherwise I think Fernando will batter him!" - amazed he let his paranoia, insecurities, etc. come to the fore in the way he did - thought it was basic sports psychology not to show your opponents you are hurting, otherwise they know how to get under your skin and make you even more ineffectual...

I was amazed how he let his obsession with Hamilton so open in the air like that. Hamilton didn't loose much time to exploit it specially this:

"Yeah," said Hamilton. "I even saw him overtaken by a Sauber [Kamui Kobayashi] on the big screen. It's very unlike him to be overtaken by a Sauber so he must have been completely in another world. But I don't understand why I affected his race so much."

That's going to make him bleed even worse.

#1398 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 16:02

The british should keep their teachings to home. :)

And it's incredible the level of hatred towards Alonso and Ferrari of forumers and journalists from the so called "authority of F1".

#1399 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,352 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 16:09

Vettel...will not win a championship this year - despite having the best car and Marko there to unsettle his teammate - or any year until he first acknowledges his fault in Turkey.

Vettel will win the title if he accumulates more points than the others. On current form, I would not bet against him doing precisely that.

As Vettel will neither gain nor lose points through acknowledging responsibility for the Turkey debacle, I fail to see how it is any way material whatsoever.

Michael Schumacher never really acknowledged fault for Jerez in 1997, and he went on to win a further 5 WDCs in a row.

Advertisement

#1400 fed up

fed up

• 1,986 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 16:18

Vettel will win the title if he accumulates more points than the others. On current form, I would not bet against him doing precisely that.

As Vettel will neither gain nor lose points through acknowledging responsibility for the Turkey debacle, I fail to see how it is any way material whatsoever.

Michael Schumacher never really acknowledged fault for Jerez in 1997, and he went on to win a further 5 WDCs in a row.

It is very difficult to win the first WDC and Vettel has the 2 Mclarens, both WDC and therefore used to the pressure, breathing down his neck. He has the car and the talent I just think his temperament is suspect.

Locking up after the SC was a sign that he doesn't cope under pressure situations. I also think he is very aggressive when defending and therefore likely to collide on track.