Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#1501 Classic Ferrari

Classic Ferrari

• 471 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 13:54

Classic Ferrari - that's a good list of reasons why Alonso would be an unhappy bunny getting out of the car. I still don't see why that anger couldn't manifest itself as "the stewards are sh*t" rather than "the stewards are crooked". Taking that extra leap is the bit I don't find too understandable at all, I'm afraid.

It would make a driver question the decision making process the ruling and hence his comment was an accumulation of this. Certainly not the best word use on Alonso's part and he's apologised. Though those who believe that the ruling handed down as it stands is reflective of a justifiable and proportionate penalty that reflected the advantage a driver who purposefully broke the rules is deluding themselves, who I can't agree with.

Edited by Classic Ferrari, 30 June 2010 - 14:11.

Advertisement

#1502 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 13:57

Exactly but thats how some people are going to remember it.....because Hamilton has got into his head and all :D :rotfl:

I agree that Alonso didn't say anything bad about Hamilton. But it was obvious that even though the safety car ruined Alonso's race, all he was concerned about (when radioing his team) was Hamilton.

#1503 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 13:58

hamilton has issues. Whatever comes out of his mouth is most of the time something not very intelligent.sometimes when he talks he reminds me of a certain ex-US president.

Edited by richard01, 30 June 2010 - 14:02.

#1504 ByTheNile

ByTheNile

• 21 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 14:03

I agree that Alonso didn't say anything bad about Hamilton. But it was obvious that even though the safety car ruined Alonso's race, all he was concerned about (when radioing his team) was Hamilton.

Ofcourse he was concerned about him, he is one of his championship rivals this year....who else would he be concerned about !!!...he was competing with him for second place and looked like he was going to get it in the pits cuz of Hamiltons front wing change then all of a sudden the saftey car came in and Hamilton breaks a rule, Alonso doesnt....Alonso is the one who really suffers and Hamilton didnt lose a single place and just like that 14 free points to hamilton.....Thats why he was angry...not because it was something personal against Hamilton or that the mere thought of Hamilton just rattles the poor double world champion...he was just pissed because he lost ALOT of points through no fault of his own....just dumb luck.

#1505 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 14:39

That is normal. Drivers radio their teams whenever another guy breaks a rule.

Remember Button's transmission at China to report Alonso jumped the start?

#1506 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 14:49

or Webber who's also complained about Lewis over the radio.

#1507 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,441 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 14:51

So.

Alonso was upset during and after this race over how it evolved - Understandable

Alonso criticized how it had unfolded and said things straight from the heart in the heat of the moment - Understandable

Alonso calms down and apolgizes for saying the things she(sic) said and explains he was upset at the time - Understandable

So now let's criticize him for all of this because none of us fellow Autosport members would do any of the things above because we are just on a higher level altogheter.

Come on, let us all come together and marvel at ourselves!

I wouldn't
I didn't back in the day.

#1508 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,088 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 14:53

Well, that's all you heard on the TV feed.

There would have been a zillion other radio transmissions between Alnso and the pit wall during that race. The TV feed did not broadcast those, did it?

#1509 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 14:55

or Webber who's also complained about Lewis over the radio.

Sure, reporting an infraction is normal. But I don't remember either of them saying to their teams on the radio that getting a penalty for the infraction was the only thing they needed to do for the rest of the afternoon, asking for updates or discussing the fairness (or otherwise) of the result afterwards.

I wouldn't say that there was anything wrong with Alonso's radio discussions, but I wouldn't say they were normal or usual either.

#1510 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 320 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 15:00

It was the way he found to keep himself and all of us awake. After all he was stuck behind Buemi and we gained a reason to watch a bit more as the penalty was the only interest after Webber's accident. He even kept occupied the stewards so they not fall asleep.

A farce but a interesting farce. How are the FIA going to explain to us now that 'crime' against the rules compensates?!

Edited by TIFOlonSO, 30 June 2010 - 15:04.

#1511 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 15:05

He has apologized to FIA and the Stewards but not to Hamilton.

Why he should? Regarding Hamilton he just pointed out the truth, and that is that he broke the rules. I don't know why he should apologyze for that. It's as when Hamilton said "It's not my problem if people don't have balls to brake late" regarding a certain incident with Kimi.

Alonso may have overreacted but related with the "manipulated" race and the stewards. Why he should apologyze to Hamilton?

You Hamilton fans never cease to amaze me. F1 is not North Korea and Hamilton is not Kim Il-yong.

Edited by AdamKOR, 30 June 2010 - 15:07.

#1512 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 15:16

Sure, reporting an infraction is normal. But I don't remember either of them saying to their teams on the radio that getting a penalty for the infraction was the only thing they needed to do for the rest of the afternoon, asking for updates or discussing the fairness (or otherwise) of the result afterwards.

I wouldn't say that there was anything wrong with Alonso's radio discussions, but I wouldn't say they were normal or usual either.

you don't have copies of all radio transmissions. What we hear on tv is only what they want us to hear which is stupid. I am not saying that those drivers continued to ask for status but that you do not know if they never did either.

in any case, you should know that Alonso is a very emotional driver similar to massa, montoya. Frustration will air out from a person with that type of character.
remember jpm in malaysia back in 02, "this is bullshit, this is bullshit.. The freaking idiot hit me. Blah.. Blah ..blah... " while he was serving the drive-throug..

#1513 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 15:34

Concerned ? He was obsessed to the point of having to be calmed down by his own team.

#1514 robefc

robefc

• 8,017 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 15:36

Lewis fan here...I come in peace... :)

Just read the autosport article (subscribers only) about alonso and hamilton and it just made me forget all the needless b*tching by both sets of supporters and grin at the thought of them going wheel to wheel for the rest of the season and beyond...

#1515 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 15:37

I might have missed it but I don't remember Button telling his team to forget the race and concentrating on it. I also don't remember McLaren telling him to calm down.

#1516 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 15:45

you don't have copies of all radio transmissions. What we hear on tv is only what they want us to hear which is stupid. I am not saying that those drivers continued to ask for status but that you do not know if they never did either.

in any case, you should know that Alonso is a very emotional driver similar to massa, montoya. Frustration will air out from a person with that type of character.
remember jpm in malaysia back in 02, "this is bullshit, this is bullshit.. The freaking idiot hit me. Blah.. Blah ..blah... " while he was serving the drive-throug..

You guys are grasping at straws here to find similar behavior from past situations. Although Montoya's reaction can be considered emotional it's very far from accusations of race fixing and manipulation. Go try and find another one, this one didn't cut it.

#1517 DrF

DrF

• 1,401 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 15:45

Wonder if he took a glass of whine with his large slice of Humble Pie

and a Valium.

When is Alonso going to learn to keep his head down and his mouth shut, like his predecessor?

#1518 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 15:50

You guys are grasping at straws here to find similar behavior from past situations. Although Montoya's reaction can be considered emotional it's very far from accusations of race fixing and manipulation. Go try and find another one, this one didn't cut it.

whatever. If you are not interested in a fair discussion and ignore everything someone else says don't bother replying. In 2006 both Alonso and Flavio said very openly to the press that f1 was not a sport and was corrupt.

#1519 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 16:01

whatever. If you are not interested in a fair discussion and ignore everything someone else says don't bother replying. In 2006 both Alonso and Flavio said very openly to the press that f1 was not a sport and was corrupt.

:confused: I think if you are looking to argue that Alonso's post race comments aren't out of the norm based on examples of past behaviour, it's perhaps best if the examples of past behaviour aren't Alonso himself.

Advertisement

#1520 vsubravet

vsubravet

• 2,121 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 16:02

and a Valium.

When is Alonso going to learn to keep his head down and his mouth shut, like his predecessor?

:up: Indeed. One can imagine what the situation would have been if Kimi were driving instead of Alonso. FA is a brilliant driver and a very tactical genius but somehow he gives the impression that he hasn't gotten over the 2007 McLaren/LH saga.
But more than FA I find fault with LdM and Ferrari - and they call themselves the grand marquee team. Bah!!! What drivel they allow on their website. And if FIA had thrown the book at them LdM would've gone apes**t about it.

#1521 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 16:06

:confused: I think if you are looking to argue that Alonso's post race comments aren't out of the norm based on examples of past behaviour, it's perhaps best if the examples of past behaviour aren't Alonso himself.

you must have misunderstood me. They could be out of norm to you but what I am saying is that they are not out of norm for Alonso since he's behaved similarly in the past thus indicating this has nothing to do with Lewis.

#1522 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 16:21

and a Valium.

Then he needs a gallon of Vodka

#1523 TimT

TimT

• 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 16:42

They, sadly, don't quote the more recent example of cars passing the SC in GP2 - which resulted in a drive through.

source??

#1524 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 17:03

It's normal to report infringements. Whats not normal is to then actually radio in to find out what the stewards had done about it. That's not Alonso's business.

#1525 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,088 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 17:22

It's normal to report infringements. Whats not normal is to then actually radio in to find out what the stewards had done about it. That's not Alonso's business.

Why would it not be?

#1526 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,602 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 17:25

That's his business because he is figthing with Hamilton for the WDC, at least in his head.

#1527 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 17:26

that is just your POV, that all. If I was Alonso for example I would considered anything that happens to my opponents my business since I am competing against them for the title.

#1528 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,225 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 17:33

How do you know that? We only get brief snippets of the many radio messages that go on during the race.

#1529 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 17:33

source??

2009 Portuguese GP2 Sprint Race

After nearly half an hour the field was led back out behind the safety car, with Coloni's Andreas Zuber leading from Davide Valsecchi, Kamui Kobayashi, Lucas di Grassi, Luca Filippi, Nico H├╝lkenberg and Pastor Maldonado. Zuber backed the field up at the final corner in preparation for the green flag on lap six, but timed his charge too early and shot past the safety car as it was still entering the pit lane. The top seven, with the exception of Filippi, passed the safety car and were all duly given drive-through penalties.

So prior to Sunday: Drive Throughs 6 - Black Flags 1.

#1530 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 17:45

that is just your POV, that all. If I was Alonso for example I would considered anything that happens to my opponents my business since I am competing against them for the title.

Fair enough.

#1531 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 17:52

How do you know that? We only get brief snippets of the many radio messages that go on during the race.

Well if it's common, I'm sure we would have heard it at some point before. But as far as I can recall I can't ever remember a driver radioing his team to ask about what penalty another driver received. Can you? BTW I'm not trying to be condescending I genuinely can't recall a similar radio message. If you can I'm perfectly willing to be proven incorrect :p .

#1532 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,225 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 18:00

Well if it's common, I'm sure we would have heard it at some point before. But as far as I can recall I can't ever remember a driver radioing his team to ask about what penalty another driver received. Can you? BTW I'm not trying to be condescending I genuinely can't recall a similar radio message. If you can I'm perfectly willing to be proven incorrect :p .

Can't think of any off-hand, but as we don't get all of the radio traffic then you can't say it never happens.

#1533 LuckyStrike1

LuckyStrike1

• 5,556 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 18:26

Sure, people make mistakes. I make lots of them. I'm sure I've said sorry more times than I remember.

But I don't think saying: "I don't think I would have done that" re: Alonso's "manipulated" comment is quite the "marveling at yourself" you seem to characterise it as.

I don't think Alonso is a bad person for having done it. It's hardly the worst thing I've ever seen a driver do. But I do think it was pretty poor. I see you bring up the Hamilton lying incident in Melbourne as a comparison. For what it's worth, I think that was worse - and I still find myself more than able to support Hamilton. So please don't take my criticism of Alonso for this overboard.

I have to say, as well, that the panacea that his "apology" (and whilst that word has appeared in a few headlines, I note neither it nor any synonyms of it appear in the text of the press release) seems to have given him surprises me a little as well. If regretting the interpretations people could put on your comments is an apology then I have to say it's pretty meally mouthed. Again, Alonso hardly finds himself in sparse company here. So please don't see me as slating the guy - that's just the way I see it.

Classic Ferrari - that's a good list of reasons why Alonso would be an unhappy bunny getting out of the car. I still don't see why that anger couldn't manifest itself as "the stewards are sh*t" rather than "the stewards are crooked". Taking that extra leap is the bit I don't find too understandable at all, I'm afraid.

The marvel-comment was not aimed as we should marvel over Alonsos excuse.

It was a sarcastic comment to all of them who criticizes Alonso here over his comments, even after he made an apology for what he said. Criticism that, sarcastically observered, looks like they who criticizes are these fantastic people who never make mistakes and certainly don't have to apologise for them and "have wine with their humble pie".

So I never meant we should marvel over Alonsos excuse, but marvel over the fact we are blessed to be in the company with so many faultless people here on this forum who would never make such bad mistakes ;)

#1534 TimT

TimT

• 50 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 18:46

2009 Portuguese GP2 Sprint Race

So prior to Sunday: Drive Throughs 6 - Black Flags 1.

going OT here but:

Wikipedia is not a reliable reference; nonetheless, as I understand in this case,
cars overtook the SC when it was going back to the pits ==> whichever incident occurred had been cleared out and the track was deemed safe for racing so ultimately lesser penalty
in 2006 incident, Lewis overtook the SC when it was deployed ==> track not clear for racing so harsher penalty viz. black flag

what I am implying here is that overtaking SC when its just deployed is far dangerous act and hence ==> black flag ( 2006 GP 2 race )
overtaking SC when its going back in is still a breach of rules but does not put anyone at risk ==> drive through

in my opinion, Safety should take precedence over anything and SC should be respected

#1535 meat

meat

• 691 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 18:56

Do you guys really think that Alonso apologises because he wants to...
He is smart enough to know that he crossed the line.

He just did it because without apologies FIA would punish him or Ferrari.
Damage control people :up:

Edited by meat, 30 June 2010 - 19:00.

#1536 olliek88

olliek88

• 4,044 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 19:32

erm what would the fia punish them for? they haven't done anything illegal, and alonso's apology was more for his/ferrari's sponsors than anyone else.

#1537 freesolo

freesolo

• 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 19:33

I find I'm starting to think "Martina Hingis" with Fernando. He had his great opportunity and took it well, in 05/06. Now the big hitters are in the sport and he's struggling.

yes because the two most successful teams of all time and the most successful driver of all time are not big hitters. Who did Hamilton beat to his wc btw? Felipe massa a real big hitter :lol:

#1538 freesolo

freesolo

• 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 19:38

:up: Agreed. While he has made a below par Massa look ordinary his season so far has been blighted by poor racecraft as well as a none too impressive Ferrari. Massa as I thought will struggle to regain the form he showed before the bang on the skull so Fernando's trouncing of him is not really mega. His one win at the opening round was a wee bit lucky also.

The way he sulks and rants have really put paid to his reputation as the complete professional we thought was his in earlier (winning) Renault days. That he can't get over Hamilton ever since 2007 is a stain on his character IMO although I wonder if "manipulated" was really a fair translation of his interview. Sometimes these translations can skew a comment into the sensationalist form. Anyway he needs to get his head down and stop expecting F1 to provide him a ready path to success. Safety car periods are a pain in the but however they have been foisted on F1 and they will provide unfair situations as was the case at Valencia.

I guess it was always going to happen, when Alonso inevitably out classed massa, it would leave many with egg on their faces so they would naturally come up with excuses to save safe and pretend it doesn't count now. Pity some just cant handle reality and accept they were wrong and give credit when a driver deserves it. Much more mature that way. You say Alonso still has not gotten over 2007 but where is your evidence? Him and Hamilton always seem friendly and congratulate each other and during a drivers parade last year when Hamiltons car broke Alonso told his driver to stop to give Hamilton a lift. Certainly not the actions of a driver who cant get over 2007. Actually I dont think YOU can get over 2007.

As for Alonso losing his cool, well every driver does. Senna tried to ram his rival off the road. Schumacher has done the same including trying to physically assault a fellow driver at spa 98 and claiming he tried to kill him. I guess Michael was an unproffesional paranoid hot head as well?

#1539 freesolo

freesolo

• 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 19:48

Great analogy. In both cases, I would argue there was that one psychological moment upon which an entire career turned. In Hingis' case it was the 1999 French Open final, during which she had a mental breakdown from which, in retrospect, her career never recovered. She was facing Steffi Graf; I remember reading some rather catty comments she had been making before the tournament to the effect that "the other girls are just jealous that I can put the ball anywhere I want to". As I was reading those words, I thought: she's never going to fulfill her promise. Such hubris - basically just vanity - cannot sustain lasting sporting greatness; you need a degree of humility and respect for going out and earning success on the court each and every day, whether in practice or in training, that is the very antithesis of the "I'm Martina Hingis; F*ck I'm Good, Just Ask Me" attitude. Nadal has that humility and dedication in spades; Federer has it; all the true greats have had it. Hingis sadly was just a pretender. In the end the canny French crowd sussed out what she was and started booing all her prima donna moves - questioning line calls, taking endless toilet breaks, etc - and she lost in three sets, having been three points from victory at one point. She was in floods of tears and her mother had to comfort her after the match. Rarely, if ever, have I seen such a wild, weird soap opera of a sporting occasion. After the match I thought to myself, "she'll never win a big one again". And she didn't. She was just eighteen years old.

I would argue that Alonso fell prey to the exact same thing when he arrived at the dream team of his boyhood in 2007. Conveniently ignoring McLaren's well-known ethos of getting the two best drivers they could and letting them race, he expected them to bow down and give him a magic carpet ride to the title, with Hamilton the rookie playing the part of his willing domestique. When Hamilton turned out to be slightly faster than him, Alonso expected the team to slow him down. When they didn't he genuinely could not believe it, so much had he come to believe in his own hype. So he started going on about the legendary six tenths he'd brought to the team and about racing the English driver in the English team. It was all rubbish, and he knew it, but it was the only way he could reconcile the "I am Fernando Alonso" mindset he'd been suckered into falling into - probably by Briatore with the help of hangers-on in his entourage and press toadies like Lobato - with the reality of his being matched and often beaten on track by a virtually unknown rookie.

If Alonso really had had it in him to develop into a legend like Prost or Senna or Clark or Schumacher, he would then have redoubled his efforts, working harder with his team to see how they could put down the upstart rebellion. But, like Hingis at the 1999 French Open, he took the first convenient opportunity (Hungarian GP) to effectively give up, and by his cowardly and disgraceful actions revealed himself to the whole world as a mere pretender. He will never be a legend and IMO will never again be WDC, NOT because he lacks the requisite talent, but because he long ago stopped respecting the old sporting adage that you must be prepared to "bring it", each and every day, each and every race/match/game, not expecting incessant praise for your beautiful backhand or special treatment for your mythical six tenths, but working harder to always get better. There's always something you can improve. Once he stopped trying to get better and started expecting people to treat him "with the respect befitting a double world champion" - i.e. to favour him over the rookie -, it was all over for him. A cautionary tale.

You Alonso fans can quote me on this: like Vettel, who will never come good unless he acknowledges that he was at fault in the Turkey coming together with Webber, Alonso will never again be WDC until he returns to the mindset he had before he came to McLaren and started expecting to be gifted results and treatement which he had not earned. If I ever hear of him apologizing sincerely to McLaren and Dennis, whom he unfairly maligned, then I will again begin to think of him as a live contender. But until then, like Vettel, who will not win a championship this year - despite having the best car and Marko there to unsettle his teammate - or any year until he first acknowledges his fault in Turkey, Fernando will not achieve his ambition of getting his third championship until he comes clean about 2007 and reverts to the mindset he had when he was still traveling, rather than that which he adopted when he felt he'd already arrived.

Drivel. Quite hilarious, that you believe the driver persecuted by mclaren should bow down and apologize.

1. In 2007 Alonso did not ask for Hamilton to be slowed down that is a lie created by the British propaganda machine. No evidence of it this accusation yet its repeated because its so convenient.

2. Alonso did knuckle down and bring it or at least as much as he was allowed by the team, but unfortunately his hands were often tied. If you had an objective bone in your body you will have realized that in the second half of the season Alonso knuckled down and started to consistently beat Hamilton and this caused a big problem for hamilton who could not mentally handle it and broke down at hungary to the point he was compelled to defy his own team and break team rules in a desperate attempt to get an unfair advantage, which of course aggravated Alonso as it would any person, and unfortunately Hamilton broke rules and got away with it like he did at valencia yet Alonso is the driver who is supposed to apologies and repent? LOL.

Responding to a team mate who had broken team rules in a deliberate attempt to cheat him was a cowardly and disgraceful act? Please tell us your evaluation of hamiltons act then? I guess in your world it was justified because he was a poor little rookie or something? Stunning double standards and distortion of the truth you have.

He is doing just fine and contrary to some delusions his driving has not suffered he is easily beating his highly rated team mate and is simply suffering the natural ups and downs of racing made harder by being in a new team and a lot of bad luck.

I don't recall Senna apologizing for trying to kill Prost at Suzuka 90.
I don't recall Schumacher apologizing for ramming JV or cheating at Monaco 2006. I do however recall Schumacher spending his whole career having doormat team mates who had to move over for him when ever they dared to get ahead. Strange that these drivers are legends yet you are blabbering that Alonso will never be a legend for behavior not even approaching the at times disgraceful behavior these legends exhibited. The only conclusion to be drawn for this is that you really dont know what you are talking about no matter how many words you type

But, like Hingis at the 1999 French Open, he took the first convenient opportunity (Hungarian GP) to effectively give up, and by his cowardly and disgraceful actions revealed himself to the whole world as a mere pretender.

You must be talking about Hamilton here because he is the driver who took the opportunity to give up and break team orders because he was rattled by his team mates domination of him in the previous races. You are right it was extremely cowardly behavior which was sadly rewarded.

Advertisement

#1540 meat

meat

• 691 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 19:50

erm what would the fia punish them for? they haven't done anything illegal, and alonso's apology was more for his/ferrari's sponsors than anyone else.

Instead saying steward are shit and made a mistake he/they basicly says "the stewards are crooked". There is a big difference and that is slandering.
And after Singapore-gate it is also very tasteless :down:

Edited by meat, 30 June 2010 - 19:51.

#1541 David Ricardo

David Ricardo

• 245 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 19:52

Concerned ? He was obsessed to the point of having to be calmed down by his own team.

Maybe Alonso was angry with himself, because looking at Hamiltons race it was obvious he should have passed the safety car.

#1542 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,225 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 20:08

Bringing the sport into disrepute.

#1543 freesolo

freesolo

• 22 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 20:43

Like I said, I don't believe Alonso suddenly got 0.5s faster than anyone else on grid (this is what would follow - Massa is performing at his best logic). Massa is underperforming in current car due to tyre problem, I don't believe Ferrari is so bad.

After pre-season testing informations from Ferrari pointed at Red Bull being fastest, followed by Ferrari and with McLaren and Mercedes being on the same level few tenths behind. I find it highly unlikely that Ferrari became so much slower and Alonso suddenly got so much faster (he didn't have that 'advantage' in Bahrain).

Probably some updates simply didn't work for Massa, and now he can't get his tyres to work. In general, you have to ask yourself following question - where would Alonso be with victory in Canada and Monaco - both which Alonso himself said were feasible. If I look at points table correctly - he would be leading WDC by quite a few points. If Alonso himself said that this was feasible than I don't really know why do some people on this BB claim it isn't?

Your right Alonso did not suddenly become considerably faster than almost anyone else on the grid, because he always has been, and this year further proves it. And Massa is most definately performing at his best because there is no reason for him not to be. If you are knowledgeable about F1 you will know that when a driver is being blown off by their team mate they ALWAYS manage to find excuses and justifications for it because its what they need to believe, because the opposite is just not conceivable in their minds. It doesn't make it true though. Massa himself said he only had tyre problems at a few races so you cant use that excuse forever even when he doesn't.

Heikki make similar tyre problem excuses at mclaren. Strange how he never had problems before or after mclaren despite the machinery being worse especially this year when his car is barely even f1 standard. Strange how massa never had such major tyre problems in 3 years with Kimi but as soon as Alonso joins he does. There comes a point when the coincidence is stretched too far. Alonso is simply faster than Massa. Sometimes by half a second sometimes a tenth it is always a variable situation depending on how well each driver adapts. There is no need for crazy illogical excuses to be fabricated, as it should have been clear to anyone before 2010 that they were drivers of a different class based on their career performances. Massa looks no better compared to Alonso than Fisichella and I was one of the few who made such a prediction before the season started. I was amazed that so many were fooled into thinking that massa was something special just because they refused to accept kimi was overrated.

One last thing. Its not that Massa has not struggled with the car, the point is in previous years his team mate also struggled so naturally the car was blamed. This year he has a team mate who can adapt and not struggle as bad thus exposing Massa, who unlike previous years has nowhere to hide. Another good example would be the Ferrari in wet weather. In recent years we have been hearing how bad it has been because of tyre heating issues ect, so when the drivers have sucked many naturally just excused them and pointed the car. Remove Alonso from China this year and we would have been hearing the same old story, but this year we couldn't because Alonso even with a drive through finished 45 seconds ahead of Massa. See its all relative.

#1544 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 21:45

Nice picture

http://img64.imagesh.../d10eur1631.jpg

#1545 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,021 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:41

Bringing the sport into disrepute.

Thats just too much !!
FIA wants to drop their demon act now and become angel? :cat:

#1546 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 748 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:59

Nice picture

http://img64.imagesh.../d10eur1631.jpg

:down: :well:

#1547 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,602 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 04:40

:down: :well:

Yeah, because two friends hugging is the worst thing in the world, or maybe you think is something related to the crashgate? :drunk:

#1548 redevil

redevil

• 222 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 06:13

He would be punished 0.3369 seconds in the next race. Punishment would be given at the end of the race which does not have to be done since it would not chnge anything anuway. Clear right? :)

#1549 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 07:58

I wouldn't say that there was anything wrong with Alonso's radio discussions, but I wouldn't say they were normal or usual either...

...as this situation was not normal.
so at the end the reaction was normal to an abnormal situation.

#1550 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:02

why should he?
hhe said the truth, that (also) lead to an (hopeful) rethinking within the FIA.
As FIA said to change their approach, Alonso said sorry.
That is how the things work. I dont say that this is good, but the things work like that.