Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#1551 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 17:05

before some moderators get upset because we are arguing about alonso in a hamilton thread let us speak here about monaco 2010 and alonso overtaking while yellow flag!

Advertisement

#1552 Frostbomb

Frostbomb

• 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 17:06

All,

As much as I <3 Alonso, and I do <3 Alonso Posted Image , I thought he would have grown up by now, especially after 2006 and 2007 when his own teams tried to take him apart.

It doesn't help him in anyway, shape or form. Posted Image

And why hasn't he been able to move Ferrari forward? Where's his 0.6? He's not going to win the WDC at this rate. Posted Image

#1553 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 19:28

Maybe Ferrari would be at the back of the grid without Fernando! :lol: Ever considered that?

#1554 Frostbomb

Frostbomb

• 22 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 20:07

Maybe Ferrari would be at the back of the grid without Fernando! :lol: Ever considered that?

Look, I know you're a big Kimi fan, so am I, but don't be like that. Kimi battling Alonso in 05/06/07 was brilliant! Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I was so sure that Alonso was going to partner Kimi at Ferrari this year! Posted Image

Alonso needs to focus, and focus big on the F10's development or he can kiss goodbye the WDC goodbye. Getting involved in petty things will only distract him from the title. Remember the first part of 2007? He had his arse handed to him by Hamilton. In the second part of the season, he got his act together, to a certain extent.

No driver is perfect, don't get me wrong, not even Hamilton who has impressed me even more this year, but you sense with Fred that he's the type of guy who realises when he's made a mistake he learns from it. When he rants in the way he did last weekend, as a fan, you worry.

Is the pressure getting to him? Can Fred help them develop this car? Can he win the WDC this year?

I hope this answer is yes. This year is going to be a Goodyear for fans! Posted Image

That's my rant over. Posted Image

Do you agree with what I've said, Anssi?

#1555 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 21:16

Fernando Alonso has nothing against Lewis Hamilton. Take a look at this video and you'll see what I mean:

F1 Drivers' Parade Lap, Japanese Grand Prix 2009

What do you think after seeing this? :)

#1556 robefc

robefc

• 8,106 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 23:41

Fernando Alonso has nothing against Lewis Hamilton. Take a look at this video and you'll see what I mean:

I love this video...particularly the way nico goes by laughing!

But seriously, I love the idea of guys going at it tooth and nail but having complete respect and possibl even friendship outside the car...just not sure it's completely realistic.

#1557 robefc

robefc

• 8,106 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 23:44

why should he?
hhe said the truth, that (also) lead to an (hopeful) rethinking within the FIA.
As FIA said to change their approach, Alonso said sorry.
That is how the things work. I dont say that this is good, but the things work like that.

Alonso said the race was manipulated which was bollocks and basically slander against Charlie and the stewards.
I'm not having a go, he was upset at the time and has since retracted the comments,
But trying to argue there was nothing wrong with his initial comments is just ridiculous.

#1558 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 00:00

What do you think after seeing this?
:)

My initial thought was that it was an elaborate trap. Alonso has an earpiece and was to be told by his engineer when the camera was no longer pointing at him.
At this point he intended to push Lewis out.  ;)

#1559 David Ricardo

David Ricardo

• 245 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 00:07

Alonso said the race was manipulated which was bollocks and basically slander against Charlie and the stewards.
I'm not having a go, he was upset at the time and has since retracted the comments,
But trying to argue there was nothing wrong with his initial comments is just ridiculous.

He used the wrong word. Manipulate is a very strong one. He was asked the same questios 3 times that day and the other 2 times instead of saying manipulate he simply said that the race result people saw wasn´t real.

Advertisement

#1560 robefc

robefc

• 8,106 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 00:21

He used the wrong word. Manipulate is a very strong one. He was asked the same questios 3 times that day and the other 2 times instead of saying manipulate he simply said that the race result people saw wasn´t real.

Fine, particularly if english isn't his first language, and like I said he's since retracted his comments.

#1561 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:50

the only wrong thing was the word manipulate! But we had that.
The other 200 and more words were correct. So dont just remain on one word!

#1562 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 08:52

it shows as alwas how great sportsman alonso is.
But even more than this occasion, he showed the world his greatness in going to the mclaren box after lewis winning the championship 2008 and congratulating lewis!
Alonso as he is used to be :up:

#1563 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:47

The thing that people don't get is that Alonso don't have anything against Lewis, not now and not when he was at Mclaren. They are not best friends and never will but it's a shame that some people (media & fans) twist the reality for some reason.

#1564 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 09:55

The thing that people don't get is that Alonso don't have anything against Lewis, not now and not when he was at Mclaren. They are not best friends and never will but it's a shame that some people (media & fans) twist the reality for some reason.

and its more of a shame that lewis tries to heat things up too :down:

#1565 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:21

and its more of a shame that lewis tries to heat things up too :down:

I what way exacly? :rolleyes:

#1566 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:30

I what way exacly? :rolleyes:

it is a shame that lewis cant resists in personally offending alonso as he did after valencia, by saying good to know his weak point and that stuff about sour grapes, and about watching alonso being overtaken by koba during the race
that is from the bottom of the deck!

Edited by YellowHelmet, 02 July 2010 - 10:30.

#1567 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:43

it is a shame that lewis cant resists in personally offending alonso as he did after valencia, by saying good to know his weak point and that stuff about sour grapes, and about watching alonso being overtaken by koba during the race

And what about:
'I will help Massa to beat Hamilton and win world title' ( driving for Renault ),
Alonso made it very clear that he would have a problem with facing Ham as a teammate once again and, unless it's a decision out of his reach, he would be against it when asked if Alonso would team up again with Lewis, while Lewis says about Alonso: 'I would have no problems being Fernando's teammate again. I don't have any issues with him. I think he is a great champion and a great driver'

Personal he?

Edited by Katsumi, 02 July 2010 - 10:43.

#1568 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:47

And what about:
'I will help Massa to beat Hamilton and win world title' ( driving for Renault ),

if he said that, than it was unnecessary

#1569 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 10:53

http://www.dailymail...orld-title.html

F1 is also about psychological war, has nothing to do with not respecting or disliking the other.

#1570 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:01

http://www.dailymail...orld-title.html

F1 is also about psychological war, has nothing to do with not respecting or disliking the other.

it was unnecessary, but still no psychological war, it was just a preference!
but stating its good to know a weak point and the rest goes far to wide!

#1571 robefc

robefc

• 8,106 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:06

the only wrong thing was the word manipulate! But we had that.
The other 200 and more words were correct. So dont just remain on one word!

What?

He said what he said, possibly mistakenly and his since retracted it. Therfore it's no big deal and I'm unsure why you are still trying to defend the initial comments that alonso felt necessary to retract?

The defense that it was a mistake/it means something different in spanish/it's lost in translation is sufficient, it's fine. But until that became apparent asking people toi ignore '1 word' is just stupid, words have meanings and shape the meaning of what people say, you can't ignore individual words just to make your case.

#1572 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:13

What?

He said what he said, possibly mistakenly and his since retracted it. Therfore it's no big deal and I'm unsure why you are still trying to defend the initial comments that alonso felt necessary to retract?

The defense that it was a mistake/it means something different in spanish/it's lost in translation is sufficient, it's fine. But until that became apparent asking people toi ignore '1 word' is just stupid, words have meanings and shape the meaning of what people say, you can't ignore individual words just to make your case.

and he excused for that word. the rest he repeated, because the rest is the quintessence of his talking!

#1573 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 12:34

'I will help Massa to beat Hamilton and win world title' ( driving for Renault )

I think it was more about Mclaren than anything, but is my opinion, not fact.

Alonso made it very clear that he would have a problem with facing Ham as a teammate once again and, unless it's a decision out of his reach

I can tell you that he said in the Spanish TV or maybe some newspaper, don't remember because it was some months ago, that he don't have any problem with Hamilton as a teammate outside Mclaren.

#1574 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 14:31

In fact, in Monza 2007 when Fernando was a Mclaren driver he said: "If I don't win, I hope Ferrari does, so people will be happy" :p

#1575 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 20:47

Didnt Alonso say that Lewis deliberately slowed down to box him behind the SC?

#1576 Yakari

Yakari

• 113 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 21:16

Didnt Alonso say that Lewis deliberately slowed down to box him behind the SC?

Apparantly that was the protest. Seems to be being ignored.

#1577 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 22:18

Apparantly that was the protest. Seems to be being ignored.

Would that be because that couldnt be explained away by poor english?

#1578 Yakari

Yakari

• 113 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 22:30

Would that be because that couldnt be explained away by poor english?

And acknowledging it would be a little hypocritical considering 'I have never seen anything like it' and 'There should be a black flag for overtaking the safety car'.

#1579 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,133 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:13

Alonso 'should have stayed at McLaren'

link

Advertisement

#1580 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,746 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:16

link

So true.

#1581 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:17

link

I don't think he had the choice. 2 weeks after the end of the season is when they had the meeting, that's much more likely timing for a McLaren decision than a driver resignation. And the Times said Ron tore up his contract.

Otherwise I think he might have stayed and fought it out in 08.

#1582 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,687 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:17

link

I think most people would agree with that, but I think he probably burnt his bridges in Hungary.

#1583 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:22

link

The aftermath of the Hungary episode made this impossible I would have thought.

#1584 Bonaventura

Bonaventura

• 7,698 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:32

link

But had McLaren Alonso liked to stay?

#1585 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:36

http://uk.eurosport....kes-alonso.html

#1586 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:17

Fine, particularly if english isn't his first language, and like I said he's since retracted his comments.

It's not a problem about languages because when he said (at least, for the first time) that the race was manipulated was in Spanish. It was during his first interview after the GP was over.

#1587 Yorkie

Yorkie

• 2,192 posts

I believe that after Hungary McLaren were not going to retain Alonso and also Alonso's wasnt going to stay. Interesting comments from the Renault engineer who obviously is a supporter of Alonso, when he says that Alonso expected #1 status at McLaren which many of us said was actually the main problem Alonso had at McLaren

#1588 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

link

and again it was a british who said that?
is there any coincidence with nationalities and such undifferentiated statements?
He does so as it was just about alonso staying or leaving mclaren :drunk:

Is he applying with such statements for a job at mclaren, who are declaring themselves as the british (english) national team :confused:

steve nielsen for such undifferentiated thoughts (in public) :down:

Edited by YellowHelmet, 05 July 2010 - 10:18.

#1589 Jordana

Jordana

• 740 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:19

He did and like or not, Alonso suffers from Hamilton syndrome. :rotfl:

It's so pathetic! :lol:

#1590 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:20

He did and like or not, Alonso suffers from Hamilton syndrome. :rotfl:

you must know :drunk:

#1591 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,413 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:38

I agree with Nielsen but is easy to say when you are not there, from the outside is one thing but from the inside and in the eyes of Alonso could be another thing (actually a nightmare).

There is a lot of if, is not worth thinking.

Hamilton texting Alonso?, I bet someone will think is a PR move, after all why did he tell to the press?.

#1592 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,746 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:40

is there any coincidence with nationalities and such undifferentiated statements?

Is he applying with such statements for a job at mclaren, who are declaring themselves as the british (english) national team :confused:

What?

#1593 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,687 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:42

You really do need to get over the Nationality thing. Over here it's not the problem you and/or others like to make out it is.

#1594 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,746 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:45

You really do need to get over the Nationality thing. Over here it's not the problem you and/or others like to make out it is.

I have found than in the UK they embrace (supoport/treat better) forgien drivers better than anywhere else actually.

Edited by Mika Mika, 05 July 2010 - 10:46.

#1595 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:46

than the british press should start quoting more people of other nationalities.
So it is not about me, it is about the people who are quoted in the british press,
and in about 90% of all articles, they are quoting just british people!

and about saying nielsen is applying for a job at mclaren: what other reason should there be to state something (undifferentiated) 3 years after it happened?

Edited by YellowHelmet, 05 July 2010 - 10:49.

#1596 bauss

bauss

• 5,067 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:47

Hamilton texting Alonso?, I bet someone will think is a PR move, after all why did he tell to the press?.

So they dont make a mountain out of a molehill

#1597 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,687 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:50

than the british press should start quoting more people of other nationalities.
So it is not about me, it is about the people who are quoted in the british press,
and in about 90% of all articles, they are quoting just british people!

and about saying nielsen is applying for a job at mclaren: what other reason should there be to state something 3 years after it happened?

Shock horror, the British press concentrates on British people. That's the way the press works in every single country.

I don't know why he has said it now, but the most likely answer is because he has been asked the question. What I totally fail to understand is why you seem to be annoyed by it and why you feel the need to make it a racial issue. It was an opinion, it wasn't in anyway anti-Alonso and being British has nothing to do with it.

#1598 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,594 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:53

Ehh from experience it is every bit as bad as people think, however this is extremely off topic and is better suited to the Hamilton thread.

#1599 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:53

Shock horror, the British press concentrates on British people. That's the way the press works in every single country.

i am glad that you are aware of that bias! :up:

I don't know why he has said it now

maybe we will ses in few months (or years), when he gets a new contract at mclaren!?

it wasn't in anyway anti-Alonso

sure it was, it was said that it was all in all just alonsos decision!

Edited by YellowHelmet, 05 July 2010 - 10:54.

Advertisement

#1600 as65p

as65p

• 17,796 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:58

I agree with Nielsen but is easy to say when you are not there, from the outside is one thing but from the inside and in the eyes of Alonso could be another thing (actually a nightmare).

There is a lot of if, is not worth thinking.

Are you surprised? It's so typical Hamilton he can't even chat with another driver without later telling the press what a likeable chap he is for doing it. Of course telling the other guys answer to the press on top of it. Doesn't everyone love people behaving like that in their personal lifes? :p