Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#1801 Lifew12

Lifew12

• 4,551 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:11

Actually McLaren made him a new offer after the contract was broken.

*opens umbrella*

Did they? I didn't know this. Not what I heard at the time, I must say.

Advertisement

#1802 robefc

robefc

• 8,107 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:11

Whilst he might not blame lewis directly for this it must be hard for alonso not to think that he would currently be a 4xWDC and in contention for a 5th if it wasn't for Lewis.

On the other hand over the next few years if he says ends up a 4xWDC overall but has a great rivalry with lewis the he might end up more highly regarded than if he'd cleaned up with lesser competition.

#1803 KavB

KavB

• 1,149 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:25

After the first 4 races it was onvious that McLaren did not need Alonso as they had Hamilton. The rest of the season just suhowed how Alonso was using politcs and dirty tricks to force the McLaren team to favour him. But as Ron is a fair sportsman and McLaren would never favour a driver ,they declined and Alonso betrayed them.

Looking at the following two seasons you can see that McLaren did need Alonso. They would have easily won the Constructors in 2008 with Kimi struggling and they would have finished in 3rd place by a significant margin in 2009 due to the injury for Massa (Assuming it still happened).

Formula One is not just about the drivers title. I'm sure the teams would rather they won the constructors championship. If McLaren had a crystal ball and knew that Heikki would struggle so much with them, would they have tried to improve their relationship with Fernando? It depends whether Ron would rather have a frosty atmosphere in his team or the millions they would earn from winning more.

This is all my opinion but I don't think it was a mistake for Alonso to go back to Renault. He clearly thinks his happiness is more important than winning. Who knows what might have happened... He could have lost all motivation there and may have had lacklustre results which would lead to him being sacked at McLaren after the end of last year, and if that happened then he may not have been in demand with Ferrari! His reputation stayed intact for the past two years as well. Remember his 2008 season consolidated his reputation as the best driver on the grid, this was even believed by some Hamilton fans! If he was getting outpaced by Hamilton throughout 2008 then he wouldn't have that reputation even if he won the title over him (Assuming Hamilton made the same amount of mistakes that year). Just like Prost beat Senna to the WDC in 1989, but Senna was considered the better driver that year.

In hindsight, he would have only won one more title at most if he honoured his contract with McLaren. At least he is driving for Ferrari now, so he should be in a position to win more titles in the future, and would be able to win happily rather then miserably.

#1804 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 12:30

Whilst he might not blame lewis directly for this it must be hard for alonso not to think that he would currently be a 4xWDC and in contention for a 5th if it wasn't for Lewis.

On the other hand over the next few years if he says ends up a 4xWDC overall but has a great rivalry with lewis the he might end up more highly regarded than if he'd cleaned up with lesser competition.

Must be hard for Fernando not to see Lewis as having wrecked his career after 2006. And he must be desperate this year, how many more wdc's can we predict for him if Lewis wins 2010? That has to be a part of the Valencia outburst you'd think.

#1805 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:09

Actually McLaren made him a new offer after the contract was broken.

*opens umbrella*

Did they? Seems an odd thing to do - why break the contract in the first place?

#1806 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:09

After the first 4 races it was onvious that McLaren did not need Alonso as they had Hamilton. The rest of the season just suhowed how Alonso was using politcs and dirty tricks to force the McLaren team to favour him. But as Ron is a fair sportsman and McLaren would never favour a driver ,they declined and Alonso betrayed them.

In that year Alonso lost all respect from the Forumla 1 fans and destroyed his carreer.

is this the UK version of mclaren 2007? :)

Edited by richard01, 06 July 2010 - 13:17.

#1807 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:13

Did they? Seems an odd thing to do - why break the contract in the first place?

I think he's pulling this out of his ar*e. Unless he shows his source...

#1808 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:22

I may well have disagreed with prty on a number of things in the past but I've never experienced him making something up. He's a trustworthy bloke. So I'm pretty certain this will be based on something. Would be interesting to find out what, though.

#1809 robefc

robefc

• 8,107 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:40

In hindsight, he would have only won one more title at most if he honoured his contract with McLaren. At least he is driving for Ferrari now, so he should be in a position to win more titles in the future, and would be able to win happily rather then miserably.

I'm not sure how you conclude alonso was right to leave, despite giving up a shot at the WDC, but mclaren lost out despite winning a WDC (but missing out on a WCC).

#1810 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:44

I'm not sure how you conclude alonso was right to leave, despite giving up a shot at the WDC

as lewis said, it is about enjoying the journey

#1811 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:48

I think Alonso leaving mclaren was the best thing he could have done for his career. If you don't get along with your employer there is no point in staying.

#1812 robefc

robefc

• 8,107 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:55

as lewis said, it is about enjoying the journey

and for macca?

#1813 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:56

I think Alonso leaving mclaren was the best thing he could have done for his career. If you don't get along with your employer there is no point in staying.

I would agree with this.
Regardless of where the blame lay, the relationship between McLaren and Alonso was had broken down to an extent that could not be fixed.

#1814 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 13:56

Equally if the employer doesn't get along with you for backstabbing them ;) .

#1815 Raziel

Raziel

• 2,134 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 14:09

I would agree with this.
Regardless of where the blame lay, the relationship between McLaren and Alonso was had broken down to an extent that could not be fixed.

There is a thin line between love and hate :p :)

#1816 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 14:11

There is a thin line between love and hate :p :)

or as ali g said there is a thin line between ....  ;)

#1817 prty

prty

• 5,222 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 14:50

After Alonso was re-signed with Renault:

http://antoniolobato...promesas-y.html

"Tiene narices que después de todo lo que ha pasado, después de todo lo que se han dicho, después de rescindir el contrato… Mclaren le ofreciese a Alonso la posibilidad de volver un año al equipo. Suena a broma, pero fue real. La de Mclaren fue la séptima oferta, la última, pero antes hubo seis más"

Which means:

"It's ironic that after all that happened, after all it has been said, after having rescinded the contract... Mclaren offered Alonso the possibility of coming back to the team for one year. It sounds like a joke, but it's real. McLaren's were the seventh offer, the last one, but before that there were six more [from other teams".

Now I'll open the umbrella again because it's Lobato. Nobody will give an example of when has he ever given false information about Alonso, but still... :blush:

#1818 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 15:01

Thanks for the info prty. :up:

Lobato was definitely right about one thing: it does sound like a joke. Crazy if true. I struggle to believe it because of that but thanks for passing on the info anyway.

#1819 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 15:02

After Alonso was re-signed with Renault:

http://antoniolobato...promesas-y.html

"Tiene narices que después de todo lo que ha pasado, después de todo lo que se han dicho, después de rescindir el contrato… Mclaren le ofreciese a Alonso la posibilidad de volver un año al equipo. Suena a broma, pero fue real. La de Mclaren fue la séptima oferta, la última, pero antes hubo seis más"

Which means:

"It's ironic that after all that happened, after all it has been said, after having rescinded the contract... Mclaren offered Alonso the possibility of coming back to the team for one year. It sounds like a joke, but it's real. McLaren's were the seventh offer, the last one, but before that there were six more [from other teams".

Now I'll open the umbrella again because it's Lobato. Nobody will give an example of when has he ever given false information about Alonso, but still... :blush:

I don’t want to be mean, but:

• It was written by Lobato (I accept your opinion, but for me he’s a no-go)
  • It was published in Lobato’s blog on December 28th. :p
Note for non-Spanish forumers: December 28th is the Spanish equivalent to April 1st. Traditionally, Spanish newspapers publish some jokes that day. Nevertheless, Lobato provably believed that.

Advertisement

#1820 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 15:11

Note for non-Spanish forumers: December 28th is the Spanish equivalent to April 1st. Traditionally, Spanish newspapers publish some jokes that day. Nevertheless, Lobato provably believed that.

Vital snippet of information there :lol:

#1821 WheelBanger304

WheelBanger304

• 357 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:03

Vital snippet of information there :lol:

Exactly. Anyone who imagines that McLaren would ever consider taking Alonso back under any circumstances, after what he did in 2007, needs their head seeing to. As for Lobato, at least now we know of one day of the year when his scribblings can be quoted without embarrassment.

#1822 WheelBanger304

WheelBanger304

• 357 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:07

Must be hard for Fernando not to see Lewis as having wrecked his career after 2006. And he must be desperate this year, how many more wdc's can we predict for him if Lewis wins 2010? That has to be a part of the Valencia outburst you'd think.

That's what it's all about IMO. For Fernando, McLaren and not Ferrari was/is the team. He can't so much as look at Hamilton without harking back to all he lost as a result of the events of 2007. Sadly, his wounds were mostly self-inflicted, so I can't say I have much sympathy.

#1823 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:08

Exactly. Anyone who imagines that McLaren would ever consider taking Alonso back under any circumstances, after what he did in 2007, needs their head seeing to.

havent whitmarsh stated something in that direction?

#1824 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:10

indeed. self-inflicted.
the team was giving equal treatment.

Montoya also had equal treatment.
and Kovalainen as well.
but Alonso cries the most!

#1825 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:16

MW: "I have been here 20 years and you look back over the 20 years and you have some highs and some regrets. A massive regret to me is losing a star like Fernando. He is one of the greatest racing drivers. ...sometimes we've been too arrogant, we have to accept it. I have always been very open in the company, my style is completely open"

"this is a good team, he is a good driver. We could have had more success than we've had."

#1826 Kovalonso

Kovalonso

• 540 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:20

indeed. self-inflicted.

and Kovalainen as well.

What do you mean?
That Alonso is the only driver in history to complain about his #1 driver status threatment ?

#1827 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:20

indeed. self-inflicted.

and Kovalainen as well.

:up: Yup, that's my sentiment too. The 'truth' may never come out but as far as I can see it was Alonso that kicked up a fuss as McLaren gave him and Lewis equal treatment, yet he expected preferences. Being beaten by a rookie in his first year must have seemed appalling to a 2 time world champion, thus he had to try and get Ron to give him something over Lewis in order to succeed. But when Ron refused and Alonso couldn't beat Hamilton on merit, the relationship broke down.

#1828 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:32

if I remember correctly it was Lewis who disagreed with that equal treatment agreement in Hungary qualifying when he disobeyed his team.

it seems to me that based on the decision Lewis took that day, he wanted things to be done his way or the highway.

#1829 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:38

I'd love having LH and FA back on the same team!

It was by far the most electrifying duo since Prost/Senna.

#1830 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:42

havent whitmarsh stated something in that direction?

Yep. I think he said he regretted losing Alonso or even said he would be happy to re-sign him. Looking for a link now.

edit; well done richard01

#1831 prty

prty

• 5,222 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:43

Yes but it was not the first nor the last time he said it (also said it on tv), so it's not a possibilty.

Edit: and as expected, some people assume it's no true but still no one gives the example I asked for! :)

Edited by prty, 06 July 2010 - 16:48.

#1832 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 16:49

MW: "I have been here 20 years and you look back over the 20 years and you have some highs and some regrets. A massive regret to me is losing a star like Fernando. He is one of the greatest racing drivers. ...sometimes we've been too arrogant, we have to accept it. I have always been very open in the company, my style is completely open"

"this is a good team, he is a good driver. We could have had more success than we've had."

Yeah, its credibility suffered a bit though when Santander announced some continued sponsorship of McLaren shortly after Whitmarsh said this :lol: .

And Martin also made a comment around that time that he was sure Fernando would get on fine with Felipe 'as long as he's winning'...

#1833 artista

artista
  • RC Forum Host

• 5,299 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:04

Yes but it was not the first nor the last time he said it (also said it on tv), so it's not a possibilty.

Edit: and as expected, some people assume it's no true but still no one gives the example I asked for! :)

As you see up there I said: Lobato provably believed that.

As for the examples you ask for and since you quote me: I’m not the best one for the examples. I don’t live permanently in Spain, and when I’m here I usually watch the races on RTL using a satellite: Lobato really gets to my nerves, so I avoid him. I have heard him way too oft telling not-too-close-to-the-truth news about Alonso rivals, and I don’t like it.

In other order of things, yesterday evening I had the TV on and in LaSexta they begun to talk about Alonso not being too happy. I got the idea he was not too happy about the season and the team. Did I get it wrong? Did anybody else watch it? I admit I was not paying too much attention. :blush:

#1834 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:16

I don't understand the point of providing sources if some people are simply going to dismiss them just because it does not go along with their agendas.

#1835 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,656 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:22

Why shouldn't McLaren offer Alonso a seat?

While he didn't do as well as expected (he was expected to win WDC, failed + cheated and then betrayed his own team) in McLaren they knew that if he could handle the reality that Lewis Hamilton is there and that he has to beat him on track - he could actually do well (and maybe even beat him). Alonso obviously was either too paranoid about McLaren giving him worse car, or simply didn't believe in himself enough so he left.

#1836 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:26

alonso just wanted equal treatment when Lewis took matters into his own hands and tried to swing the boat his way. When Mclaren (Ron) didn't do anything about it, he realized that was not the place for him.

#1837 BinaryDad

BinaryDad

• 1,017 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:28

:rotfl:
And the award for best fiction goes to.....seahawk!
:lol:

I dunno, it seems a pretty accurate summary of Alonso's time at Mclaren. I was talking to a Spanish colleague just last week about this very subject, and while he is a very big Alonso fan, he is actually able to see past much of the Spanish and British press antics. In his opinion, Alonso screwed himself over with his inability to deal with a rookie team mate who was equaling, if not beating him on a regular basis not to mention being in possesion of Ferrari information.

We both agreed that Alonso is an amazing driver, but his biggest weakness is that he started to belieive is own hype that we felt was fed by his manager. It seemed to us that he felt that he was quite within his rights to demand unconditional #1 status from any team and that was how a WDC was supposed to be treated. After all, after Lewis's Canada 2007 comments about the team allowing them to race despite Fernando's calls to slow down, how could we not think that it was what he was led to beleive was his "right"?

How many times has Flavio made sure it was known that Alonso would get #1 treatment back at Renault and that it was unthinkable that Alonso would not be given #1/preferential treatment over his rookie team mate at McLaren?

#1838 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:30

Why shouldn't McLaren offer Alonso a seat?

Well IMO Ron sets a lot of store by loyalty, there is a history of this, he didn't pursue Coughlan or the Renault guy (forgotten his name Mc something), didn't really go after that cabin steward guy, kept his drivers for a long time etc etc.

So when Fernando sided with the enemy, vindictively told Bernie about the emails, had lunch with Max, refused to support the team in Paris, that was beyond the pale I think. I don't think Ron would have had Alonso back under any circumstances.

#1839 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:33

I dunno, it seems a pretty accurate summary of Alonso's time at Mclaren. I was talking to a Spanish colleague just last week about this very subject, and while he is a very big Alonso fan, he is actually able to see past much of the Spanish and British press antics. In his opinion, Alonso screwed himself over with his inability to deal with a rookie team mate who was equaling, if not beating him on a regular basis not to mention being in possesion of Ferrari information.

We both agreed that Alonso is an amazing driver, but his biggest weakness is that he started to belieive is own hype that we felt was fed by his manager. It seemed to us that he felt that he was quite within his rights to demand unconditional #1 status from any team and that was how a WDC was supposed to be treated. After all, after Lewis's Canada 2007 comments about the team allowing them to race despite Fernando's calls to slow down, how could we not think that it was what he was led to beleive was his "right"?

How many times has Flavio made sure it was known that Alonso would get #1 treatment back at Renault and that it was unthinkable that Alonso would not be given #1/preferential treatment over his rookie team mate at McLaren?

Well said :up: .

Advertisement

#1840 WheelBanger304

WheelBanger304

• 357 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:33

indeed. self-inflicted.

and Kovalainen as well.

Are you trying to write poetry? If so, you could have chosen a more worthy subject for your undoubted talents. Montoya and Kovalainen simply did not perform as well as their McLaren teammates; any moaning about bias from them can safely be put down to sour grapes - an idiom which the ever-amusing Spanish press decided, perhaps for the first time in history, to translate with the construction "tener envidia". Anything to make Hamilton look bad, eh! :lol:

Most top level drivers are the same: they'll do anything to avoid admitting their teammate was better; what more convenient alibi could there be than to claim that "they were favouring the other guy". Yet Steve Nielsen, a long-standing Renault man who's hardly likely to be well-disposed to McLaren, said quite categorically the other day: "McLaren treat their drivers equally". What possible cause could he - or the many others who have commented on the situation who are not aggrieved ex-drivers - have to lie? Why would a Renault man make up a lie to make McLaren look good?

The facts are clear to all but Alonso's most diehard fans: the Asturian wanted favourable treatment at McLaren in 2007. Both Nielsen and Briatore, another former close colleague at Renault, have admitted as much. Both have stated that the problem in 2007 was that McLaren did not give Alonso no. 1 treatment. According to the comments Briatore made (in 2008, I believe), such treatment was deserved by virtue of his status as 2xWDC. Nielsen only went so far as to say that such treatment was what Alonso expected. You can keep moaning about McLaren all you like; the fact that the Woking team keeps attracting top drivers like current WDC Button makes posts like yours look very silly - however the words are formatted.

#1841 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:46

but folks, if you put aside all the bs from the press and actually followed the events in 2007 you would realize that Alonso got really pissed off not on the fact that lewis wanted equal treatment but that lewis wanted preferential treatment. What triggered everything was hungary were Lewis took advantage of a situation that gave him a run for pole and prevented Alonso from getting it.

yeah, alonso did not blend in well with the team, just like montoya, but he was willing to play game if they were both given the same opportunities to win races and Lewis violated that.

#1842 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 523 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:53

Well IMO Ron sets a lot of store by loyalty, there is a history of this, he didn't pursue Coughlan or the Renault guy (forgotten his name Mc something), didn't really go after that cabin steward guy, kept his drivers for a long time etc etc.

So when Fernando sided with the enemy, vindictively told Bernie about the emails, had lunch with Max, refused to support the team in Paris, that was beyond the pale I think. I don't think Ron would have had Alonso back under any circumstances.

He owned up to the emails, admittedly he should have done so in the first place he revealed them at a time where in his mind it appeared that McLaren were favouring Lewis. He didn't understand (at first) why in Hungary despite being told he would go first Lewis was in front of him. He chose to focus on the grand prix in Spa that weekend rather than go to Paris he is a racing driver not a lawyer, as for the lunch with Max thats the first I've ever heard of it, where does it come from?

#1843 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,656 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:53

alonso just wanted equal treatment when Lewis took matters into his own hands and tried to swing the boat his way. When Mclaren (Ron) didn't do anything about it, he realized that was not the place for him.

How didn't he? McLaren tried to cover up Alonso in his pit-blocking and lost WCC points because of that. Yes, Lewis caused all the hassle in Hungary, but the fact remains that it was Alonso who lost his nerve (which he shouldn't have done).

#1844 as65p

as65p

• 17,803 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:55

but folks, if you put aside all the bs from the press and actually followed the events in 2007 you would realize that Alonso got really pissed off not on the fact that lewis wanted equal treatment but that lewis wanted preferential treatment. What triggered everything was hungary were Lewis took advantage of a situation that gave him a run for pole and prevented Alonso from getting it.

yeah, alonso did not blend in well with the team, just like montoya, but he was willing to play game if they were both given the same opportunities to win races and Lewis violated that.

True, but still he could have done better. The momentum just before that infamous qualy was on his side, winning at the Nürburgring and beating Hamilton in Silverstone. If he just hadn't taken law into his own hands I'm sure he would have won many sympathies in the team, they were pissed at Hamilton already for breaking the inter-team agreement.

That said, it would have taken almost supernatural composure NOT to get mad at Hamilton that day. Certainly I would have done even worse than Alonso...  ;)

#1845 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,656 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:57

True, but still he could have done better. The momentum just before that infamous qualy was on his side, winning at the Nürburgring and beating Hamilton in Silverstone. If he just hadn't taken law into his own hands I'm sure he would have won many sympathies in the team, they were pissed at Hamilton already for breaking the inter-team agreement.

Exactly, Hamilton surely pissed off the team with his behavior, but then Alonso decided to piss them off even more :)

#1846 toxicfusion

toxicfusion

• 523 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:58

How didn't he? McLaren tried to cover up Alonso in his pit-blocking and lost WCC points because of that. Yes, Lewis caused all the hassle in Hungary, but the fact remains that it was Alonso who lost his nerve (which he shouldn't have done).

It can be be seen two ways, one that Fernando lost his nerve and was rattled or that he was showing Lewis that he could play games as well. Over that weekend both of them were trying to get one over the other.

#1847 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 17:59

true but what I said is also true. Alonso was not against equal treatment, he was against Lewis getting any unfair advantage and the team doing nothing about it.

#1848 richard01

richard01

• 104 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 18:06

That said, it would have taken almost supernatural composure NOT to get mad at Hamilton that day. Certainly I would have done even worse than Alonso... ;)

with hindsight I would say that you are absolutely correct but as you put it in your last sentence, you can't really blame a human being for reacting in such manner after what Lewis had done.

#1849 prty

prty

• 5,222 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 18:11

As you see up there I said: Lobato provably believed that.

As for the examples you ask for and since you quote me: I’m not the best one for the examples. I don’t live permanently in Spain, and when I’m here I usually watch the races on RTL using a satellite: Lobato really gets to my nerves, so I avoid him. I have heard him way too oft telling not-too-close-to-the-truth news about Alonso rivals, and I don’t like it.

In other order of things, yesterday evening I had the TV on and in LaSexta they begun to talk about Alonso not being too happy. I got the idea he was not too happy about the season and the team. Did I get it wrong? Did anybody else watch it? I admit I was not paying too much attention. :blush:

But I don't deny he's biased in his opinions towards Alonso, that is pretty much true. However, because his opinions are not objective doesn't mean that the facts he provides aren't true. You need to have the ability to separate both. If he starts spreading lies as a facts I'll be the first one to say it, but you have to recognise that hasn't happened.

Also, you can't deny he is the journalist that has more info about Alonso, as they are friends (one of the things of why he is biased). However, also because of that he has pieces of information no one else has. In the last GP by the way he also explained how the infamous qualifying extra lap was distributed by McLaren (hilarious!).

Edit: And I wasn't thinking about you when I said the examples thing. About the La Sexta thing, I have no idea, I don't usually watch TV.

Edited by prty, 06 July 2010 - 18:16.

#1850 billkaos

billkaos

• 160 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 18:21

I don't understand the point of providing sources if some people are simply going to dismiss them just because it does not go along with their agendas.

There's another factor to news sources called credibility. And you know, in the case of Lobato it is very low.

The fact that the news entry is written in April fools day here in Spain doesn't help either.

Edited by billkaos, 06 July 2010 - 18:27.