Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#2251 GPmaster

GPmaster

• 455 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 14:09

Fantastic job today. I have high hopes for tomorrow. We know that RedBull is not that strong on race and the race is something that Alonso manages very well. The start is the key, let's hope Lewis is behind us after lap 1.

It looks like the McLaren is very difficult to drive at Silverstone, the RedBull and the F10 where looking much smoother at the track.

Advertisement

#2252 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,819 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 18:18

3rd. Best of the rest. That is really all you can ask for with Red Bull being so crazy fast.

#2253 JKTRacing

JKTRacing

• 186 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 22:03

Alonso and Villa have a chat before the big day (for both) :

#2254 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 22:47

Amazing.

When Alonso has a car 0.5s slower than Hamilton's McLaren, their fans say "Hamilton beat a 2XWDC. But when the cars are mostly tied and Alonso gets ahead, it is all due the front wing :rotfl:

Alonso could get 2nd, so I'm really happy about his position today.

You cant deny the facts from 2007 where a rookie matched a 2 times WDC with 7 years of experience, but people / fans like you are still living the dream that Lewis got the better gear.

Its about the so called 'Alonso' and 'Ferrari' fans / youngsters stirring up the Lewis and McLaren threads with so called fake facts and hatred towards both. Even the real Alonso and Ferrari fans dissociate themselves from such behavior. Just make a comparison (respect / hatred / trolling / and more) between the McLaren / Hamilton fans posting in Ferrari / Alonso fans, or the other way around. There is a big big big difference.

Ontopic, Fernando looking for for the race ... A very solid and maximized qualy lap. :up:

#2255 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 23:04

You cant deny the facts from 2007 where a rookie matched a 2 times WDC with 7 years of experience, but people / fans like you are still living the dream that Lewis got the better gear.

Its about the so called 'Alonso' and 'Ferrari' fans / youngsters stirring up the Lewis and McLaren threads with so called fake facts and hatred towards both. Even the real Alonso and Ferrari fans dissociate themselves from such behavior. Just make a comparison (respect / hatred / trolling / and more) between the McLaren / Hamilton fans posting in Ferrari / Alonso fans, or the other way around. There is a big big big difference.

Ontopic, Fernando looking for for the race ... A very solid and maximized qualy lap. :up:

I don't really know what's worse, being a rookie or a stranger in a team.

#2256 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:29

I don't really know what's worse, being a rookie or a stranger in a team.

Nice twist! :rotfl:

Good to know Lewis knew more people then RD from the F1 pitwall.

Edited by Katsumi, 11 July 2010 - 08:31.

#2257 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:45

As a neutral observer in 2007, I agree that Alonso didn't make things any easier for himself but the team played a big hand in how the whole thing panned out. It's hard fending off a talented driver/rookie while at the same time dealing with spygate and a team that switched allegiance midway through the season for whatever reason (I didn't care about the reasons then and I don't care now, but please don't tell me that they didn't switch). It must have been tough for a young guy like Alonso. The relationship was just not gonna work since Alonso wanted number one status and Mclaren had invested a ton in Hamilton's career up until then and they sure as hell were not going to let the Hamster go, especially after the speed he showed. All in all Mclaren got what they wanted, a fast young driver in Hamilton who they could build a team around. So, if you ask me, Alonso got the short end of the stick since all the top teams had already commited to other drivers and he had to spend 2 seasons in the doldrums. But hey, such is life, I'm sure all parties involved learnt something along the way.

:up:

People just should understand that this was a mix that didn't function.
Both parties lost in the process. Mclaren the WCC's and Alonso the WDC.
But seems that today they are in well placed for a new rivalry as it should be.

It was a bad move for Alonso to go to Mclaren. It could be cool but the team chose to favor Hamilton once they understand his good gel with F1. I think it was a Mclaren mistake to support Hamilton in his first year as number one but it was their decision.

#2258 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:48

It was a bad move for Alonso to go to Mclaren. It could be cool but the team chose to favor Hamilton once they understand his good gel with F1. I think it was a Mclaren mistake to support Hamilton in his first year as number one but it was their decision.

They didn't favour Lewis, they both got equal equipment and strategy, where was Alonso disadvantaged? Yep, he was'nt given a slave driver and not given no1 status, but to say Lewis was no1, no your just spreading the usual complete bull crap to excuse Alonso not winning against Lewis.

Edited by Anomnader, 11 July 2010 - 08:49.

#2259 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 08:59

Another great interview with Alonso, in spanish.

http://www.as.com/mo...dasdaimot_1/Tes

One of the best interviews that I've readen from him :up: :up: :up:

However, I am suprised when he says that Felipe Massa has been AND IS the hardest teammate that he has ever had :D

Alonso and Villa have a chat before the big day (for both) :

Both are Asturians :p

My favorite driver and my favorite player of football. GREAT :up:

Edited by AlanWake, 11 July 2010 - 09:02.

Advertisement

#2260 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:09

They didn't favour Lewis, they both got equal equipment and strategy, where was Alonso disadvantaged? Yep, he was'nt given a slave driver and not given no1 status, but to say Lewis was no1, no your just spreading the usual complete bull crap to excuse Alonso not winning against Lewis.

I think every team has a number one at one point or another.
It seems Mclaren and Hamilton fans and the anti Alonso brigade are quite happy with the 2007 situation and relieve that he quit the team at the end. Guess what? Alonso fans are also happy that he quit Mclaren. And I personally think 2007 was a fantastic championship won by the right guy - Kimi.

#2261 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:16

2007 was a long time ago. Let's move on and concentrate on the present, please :up:

#2262 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:18

Say no more. :up:

Would love to see Alonso win today at Silverstone. :smoking:

#2263 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:34

:up: For me as a McLaren fan its more or less the way i think about it. Although i cant deny it was up to Alonso that Lewis was favoured at some point.

#2264 mlsnoopy

mlsnoopy

• 2,356 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 09:50

2007 a long time ago.
In the beginning of the season Mclaren favored Alonso. Nothing wrong with that, he was 2 times WDC.
But Hamilton proved, that he is a huge talent and won the equal treatment. Nothing wrong with that.
Alonso couldn't handle the equal treatment policy, as Hamilton was beating him, so he did the Hungary stunt. Basically screwing the team, his team mate and himself. It's actually his fault that he didn't win the 2007 WDC. If he hadn't blocked Hamilton, he wouldn't received the penalty and Mclaren would have won a 1-2 in Hungary. Meaning that Alonso would be WDC at the end of the year.
After Hungary the team still gave both drivers equal chances at the WDC. Simple as that.

#2265 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:21

You mean if Hamilton didn't broke the team gentleman's agreement and didn't respect Alonso's time to get 1 more lap?! lol, I give up.

#2266 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,408 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:32

Give up because some people are brainwashed by McLaren PR and that is not gonna change.

#2267 MichaelPM

MichaelPM

• 2,594 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:33

You mean if Hamilton didn't broke the team gentleman's agreement and didn't respect Alonso's time to get 1 more lap?! lol, I give up.

Now now, Hamilton can do no bad. He was the classic gentleman racer in 2007 and didn't do anything wrong.

Perhaps that will keep the trolls away, now for the truth. yes that guy is completely talking out his ass which is also covered in silver tinted liar glasses.

#2268 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:54

Now now, Hamilton can do no bad. He was the classic gentleman racer in 2007 and didn't do anything wrong.

Perhaps that will keep the trolls away, now for the truth. yes that guy is completely talking out his ass which is also covered in silver tinted liar glasses.

Are you serious? :rotfl: ... Oke, Alonso totaly trashed Lewis from race one, if it wasnt up to Ron Dennis Alonso would have won each and every race higher then Lewis. It was up to Lewis to create a very negative atmosphere within the team because he wanted the number 1 status.

I read so much articles from objective journalists / reporters what happend in that season in that team, and almost all agree on Alonso failing to master Lewis, maybe Alonso just isnt as good as people suggest or thing, mostely the fanboys.

Dont get me wrong, Alonso is a very very very talented driver and is one of the best from the field. But he isnt the 'best', whatever the 'best' may be.

And yeah, call me a troll because im not saying Alonso is the 'best' :rolleyes:

#2269 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 10:55

So, what you are saying is that Alonso mastering Lewis over a whole season depended on one single lap?

#2270 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,508 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:09

I do sometimes wonder if Alonso, a brilliant driver, has got a screw loose.

His remark, picked up on television yesterday, that the British fans might as well go home are, A) Infantile, and B) Insulting. The British motor racing industry and its fans carried Formula One from the late '50s until the return of the big manufacturers, even then, only Ferraris, dubious Dellara chassis and Saubers are made outside the UK, and only the Ferrari & Renault engines are made elsewhere.

#2271 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:12

His remark, picked up on television yesterday, that the British fans might as well go home are, A) Infantile, and B) Insulting. The British motor racing industry and its fans carried Formula One from the late '50s until the return of the big manufacturers, even then, only Ferraris, dubious Dellara chassis and Saubers are made outside the UK, and only the Ferrari & Renault engines are made elsewhere.

Did he really say that? what a tit? Can you imagine the furror from the Alonso fans if Lewis had said something similar in spain.

#2272 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:13

Give up because some people are brainwashed by McLaren PR and that is not gonna change.

That works both ways, we could just say you are brain washed fan boys.

I can remember the complaints from Ferrari fans in at the start of 2007, they was all complaining about McLaren staging the race to give Alonso the best results. Pity hate clouds memory.

#2273 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:21

:rolleyes:

And what do you think he meant by that?

1. That he hates all Brits, that he thinks they have no place in motorsports neither now nor in the past and that Silverstone might as well be levelled to the ground.

2. That he acknowledges a British team will have great difficulties winning their home Grand Prix and that this will possibly be a disappointment for the British fans at Silverstone, same way as he acknowledged the Spanish fans' disappointment in Valencia.

Pick your choice.

You don't always have to read Alonso as the devil reads the bible, you know... :kiss:

#2274 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,654 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:27

But i thought Alonso's development skills would turn things aroung anyways, afterall he seemed to get most of the praise for the 2007 McLaren (he brought 6 tenths) and for the improved performance of the Renault in the second half of 2008

Alonso never claimed he is good development driver, its PR bullshit. Alonso said he brought 0.6s to McLaren in 2007. which can be correct. He could have brought some Renault data which very soon was turned into 0.6s of increased performance.

#2275 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:33

Did he really say that? what a tit? Can you imagine the furror from the Alonso fans if Lewis had said something similar in spain.

Exactly ... :up: Lewis would be a tw@t, ignorant bast..., arrogant pr@x.

#2276 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:36

Please post the video where he said that, otherwise it didn't happen.

#2277 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:44

Please post the video where he said that, otherwise it didn't happen.

Thats a way to ignore it indeed ...

#2278 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:45

http://www.bbc.co.uk...rix_Qualifying/

#2279 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,508 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:46

:rolleyes:

And what do you think he meant by that?

1. That he hates all Brits, that he thinks they have no place in motorsports neither now nor in the past and that Silverstone might as well be levelled to the ground.

2. That he acknowledges a British team will have great difficulties winning their home Grand Prix and that this will possibly be a disappointment for the British fans at Silverstone, same way as he acknowledged the Spanish fans' disappointment in Valencia.

Pick your choice.

You don't always have to read Alonso as the devil reads the bible, you know... :kiss:

It was crass and stupid - I can't think of any other driver in the history of the sport who has made such a remark. British motor racing fans are just that, motor racing fans - there will be thousands of British race-goers out there cheering for Ferrari and/or Alonso, cheering for Rosberg or Kubica, rooting for Sauber; because that is what supporters do. You only have to read the nostalgia section to see the respect that the British contributors have for Pironi, Senna, Lauda and dozens of other "Foreign" drivers, my sentimental favourite is Carlos Menditeguy, an Argentinian, I just liked his style.

"Foreigners" just don't get the British, they are a fair-minded people - In the '80s there was an Argentinian restaurant in Long Acre in central London; at the height of the Falklands war one of the waiters said to me that he didn't understand why the place was still packed, I told him "We're British, we don't hold you personally responsible."

Edited by Bloggsworth, 11 July 2010 - 11:47.

Advertisement

#2280 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

And people still say Lewis isnt inside Arslonso's head. :rotfl:

#2281 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,474 posts

Exactly ... :up: Lewis would be a tw@t, ignorant bast..., arrogant pr@x.

Stop being so sensitive please. I hardly think it was meant as an insult. He probably meant that all those hoping for a Mclaren win might as well go home based on Red Bulls pace.

Geez, why are some here so combative?

#2282 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,508 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:48

Stop being so sensitive please. I hardly think it was meant as an insult. He probably meant that all those hoping for a Mclaren win might as well go home based on Red Bulls pace.

Geez, why are some here so combative?

With Alonso it isn't a joke - he probably thought he was being clever.

#2283 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:50

That is just embarrassing, embarrassing for F1. :down:

#2284 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:50

Can't watch it outside UK

#2285 ZooL

ZooL

• 2,063 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:54

Well thats another pretty low blow by Alonso - totally uncalled for.

My god if Hamilton gets past him today Alonso will have a heart attack!

#2286 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:56

Well thats another pretty low blow by Alonso - totally uncalled for.

My god if Hamilton gets past him today Alonso will have a heart attack!

If Alonso and Hamilton meet during the race there will be a collision. No doubt.

#2287 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 11:57

If Alonso and Hamilton meet during the race there will be a collision. No doubt.

Can you guys transcript his exact words?

#2288 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:00

Can you guys transcript his exact words?

Not now mate, just leave it and enjoy the race :) ... there will be a transcript from it. Lets hope for some exciting racing.

#2289 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,474 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:01

With Alonso it isn't a joke - he probably thought he was being clever.

So you know what his intentions were. Next time Alonso opens his mouth please share with us what his real intentions are.

#2290 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,796 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:01

It was crass and stupid - I can't think of any other driver in the history of the sport who has made such a remark. British motor racing fans are just that, motor racing fans - there will be thousands of British race-goers out there cheering for Ferrari and/or Alonso, cheering for Rosberg or Kubica, rooting for Sauber; because that is what supporters do. You only have to read the nostalgia section to see the respect that the British contributors have for Pironi, Senna, Lauda and dozens of other "Foreign" drivers, my sentimental favourite is Carlos Menditeguy, an Argentinian, I just liked his style.

"Foreigners" just don't get the British, they are a fair-minded people - In the '80s there was an Argentinian restaurant in Long Acre in central London; at the height of the Falklands war one of the waiters said to me that he didn't understand why the place was still packed, I told him "We're British, we don't hold you personally responsible."

No, it wasn't crass and stupid, or at least Alonso didn't mean any harm by saying so. Ever heard of the expression "they are unbeatable, we might as well go home"? At least for Swedish ears that isn't insulting at all. I know British fans often cheer for non-British drivers/teams but maybe Alonso doesn't? Maybe Alonso doesn't read Autosport BB and understands this to the full? He sees the banners around the track - naturally cheering for the British drivers.

If you are as fair-minded as you say you are ( I KNOW most of you are, don't worry!  ;) ) you've got to interpret this statement from Alonso's point of view.

#2291 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:03

So you know what his intentions were. Next time Alonso opens his mouth please share with us what his real intentions are.

Do you know what his intentions were? No? oke then ...

#2292 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,474 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:20

Do you know what his intentions were? No? oke then ...

Yeah, but I'm not the one blowing a gasket by saying it's embarrasing for formula 1.

#2293 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,871 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 12:52

Discuss the Silverstone penalty in the appropriate thread please.

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=132494

#2294 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 13:56

Despite the errors / penalty and bad luck, Alonso drove a great race. Keep it up :up:

#2295 Atreiu

Atreiu

• 10,071 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 14:00

He got screwed today, but why didn't the team tell him to give the position back?
He was much faster and Kubica would have DNFed anyhow and given him a clean track just a short time later.

I blame this first on the team, then the Stewards.

#2296 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 14:15

It's not just about his own performance now, is it? He's beginning to look like a real liability to Ferrari, in PR terms and also in terms of his impact on his teammate.

It makes you wonder why Ferrari thought they could work better with him than McLaren and Renault could. His attitude seems to make him an albatross wherever he goes.

#2297 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 14:19

Errors and bad luck for the last 9 races (except for Barcelona).
We will see if normality will resume in two weeks.

#2298 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 324 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 14:20

It's not just about his own performance now, is it? He's beginning to look like a real liability to Ferrari, in PR terms and also in terms of his impact on his teammate.

It makes you wonder why Ferrari thought they could work better with him than McLaren and Renault could. His attitude seems to make him an albatross wherever he goes.

Why do you say that? Is there any conflict with Ferrari that I'm not aware?

#2299 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 14:20

So it is Alonso's fault that Massa is off the pace?

That is the best one I've ever heard. :rotfl:

Advertisement

#2300 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 14:21

My rule is not to create a new thread so this is probably the best place to post this.

Ferrari has a problem and it's a huge one. They employed a driver who brings havoc everywhere he sticks his mug. This can't go on because it brings the entire corporation into disrepute. I know for a fact that Piero is furious as I type this. And once the rumble starts at the top it can all go very sour very fast. Luca has to react to what happened today and during some other previous points this season. Either he sticks with Alonso and sinks with him or he acknowledges his responsibility as the Ferrari CEO and cuts off this cancer that is destroying the team from within. Alonso is a psychopath. Bad things happen to anyone associated with him. It can be the entire team, his team mate, other drivers on the track or even the governing body. This can't go on any longer.

Just look at what happened today. Taking his team mate out of the race because he didn't accept he made a piss poor start so he had to shred Felipe's rear right a few corners later. Cutting a corner and not giving Kubica the position back and then telling the team over the radion to STFU! And later doing to himself (Liuzzi contact) what he did to Felipe to even further ridicule Ferrari. ALL THIS IN ONE AND THE SAME RACE! That has to be a record in stupidity or whatever you want to call it. A psychopath lives in his own world. Maybe it's not stupidity maybe Alonso need professional help from a shrink? I don't know but something has to change because Ferrari will soon implode!

The most telling point was at the end of the race when Felipe's team radio was totally silent. What can you say after what had happened and also knowing what happened at the pit entry in China? I just think he's fed up with this chaos. This is no normal and solid working environment. Luca has to take a stand and acknowledge the mistake in signing this cancer. Screw the pride and do what's best for the team. Take him out of the loop and give the seat to two young drivers from the youth program.

As it stands now Alonso is bringing Ferrari into disrepute and Luca has to distance himself from that smell.