Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#2301 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 14:21

It's not just about his own performance now, is it? He's beginning to look like a real liability to Ferrari, in PR terms and also in terms of his impact on his teammate.

It makes you wonder why Ferrari thought they could work better with him than McLaren and Renault could. His attitude seems to make him an albatross wherever he goes.

What, are you saying now that Massa's driving is also to blame on Alonso? :lol:

Advertisement

#2302 SB

SB

• 1,783 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 14:25

My rule is not to create a new thread so this is probably the best place to post this.

Ferrari has a problem and it's a huge one. They employed a driver who brings havoc everywhere he sticks his mug. This can't go on because it brings the entire corporation into disrepute
As it stands now Alonso is bringing Ferrari into disrepute and Luca has to distance himself from that smell.

well said mate ! :up:

#2303 TurboF1

TurboF1

• 657 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 14:25

:wave: Nice job at the start there Fernando.

#2304 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,010 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:00

He got screwed today, but why didn't the team tell him to give the position back?
He was much faster and Kubica would have DNFed anyhow and given him a clean track just a short time later.

I blame this first on the team, then the Stewards.

As much as im a fan of Alonso, would you have accepted if roles were reversed?
Its just hard racing. Alonso took the shortcut.
It can never be, "If you cut me off, Im going to straight line the chicane"

#2305 F1EC

F1EC

• 857 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:02

So it is Alonso's fault that Massa is off the pace?

That is the best one I've ever heard. :rotfl:

Taking his tyre out didn't help much

#2306 David Ricardo

David Ricardo

• 245 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:06

:wave: Nice job at the start there Fernando.

Nice job from everybody in the "clean side".

Is there any explanation as to why did the clean side seam to have worse grip than the other side?

#2307 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,612 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:08

Is there any explanation as to why did the clean side seam to have worse grip than the other side?

It didn't. Vettel said he had a clutch problem, don't know what's Alonso excuse :)

#2308 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:10

Taking his tyre out didn't help much

That's racing.

#2309 David Ricardo

David Ricardo

• 245 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:11

It didn't. Vettel said he had a clutch problem, don't know what's Alonso excuse :)

Alonso did a bad start, OK. And the rest of the grid?

#2310 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:13

Alonso said that during the whole weekend they were having problems with the starts they were getting. Also on the start practice before the recognition lap the problems were still there, so it was not a surprise that it happened at the end.

#2311 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:14

Alonso did a bad start, OK. And the rest of the grid?

the starts are up to electronics and not to drivers!
alonsos reaction time was great!

#2312 marsvolta

marsvolta

• 11 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:14

[quote name='VicR' date='Jul 11 2010, 14:21' post='4470171']
Taking his team mate out of the race because he didn't accept he made a piss poor start so he had to shred Felipe's rear right a few corners later.

You're must be joking he didn't shred Massa rear.

#2313 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:15

I think we are seeing further evidence that Alonso can't handle pressure well. Obviously he had a lot of misfortune today, but to tell his race engineer not to speak to him for the rest of the race isn't good. We saw his inability to handle pressurized situations in 2007. We are seeing similar things again now. As Martin Brundle said: "he is emotionally on the edge at the moment".

#2314 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,047 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:16

Just look at what happened today. Taking his team mate out of the race because he didn't accept he made a piss poor start so he had to shred Felipe's rear right a few corners later.

This particular setence does beg the obvious question - when have you ever seen anyone successfully overtake through the middle of the Becketts complex? Felipe would have been better off following Alonso through there and trying to slingshot him down the Hangar Straight into Stowe.

The rest of the post is not worth dignifying with a response.

#2315 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:16

I think we are seeing further evidence that Alonso can't handle pressure well. Obviously he had a lot of misfortune today, but to tell his race engineer not to speak to him for the rest of the race isn't good. We saw his inability to handle pressurized situations in 2007. We are seeing similar things again now. As Martin Brundle said: "he is emotionally on the edge at the moment".

An emotionally "unstable" Alonso equalled Hamilton at his best (so far in his career). Imagine what a calm, serene Alonso would do!

He just needs to calm down and realize that Ferrari is one DNF away from being back into the game.

#2316 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:17

You're must be joking he didn't shred Massa rear.

You're right, my mistake! He used telepathy of course...

#2317 Arion

Arion

• 2,353 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:18

bad race, partly bad luck, partly himself being impatient. But all is not lost, just look at Webber, how quick things change.
"I don't want radio for the rest of the race" :lol: this guy just cracks me up.

#2318 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:19

This particular setence does beg the obvious question - when have you ever seen anyone successfully overtake through the middle of the Becketts complex? Felipe would have been better off following Alonso through there and trying to slingshot him down the Hangar Straight into Stowe.

Felipe, in a Sauber, passed Montoya through Eau Rouge. So what's your point?

#2319 teejay

teejay

• 3,549 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:24

While im not exactly pro Alonso .. I do feel for him after today. Got screwed by the safety car badly.

Advertisement

#2320 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,047 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:25

Felipe, in a Sauber, passed Montoya through Eau Rouge. So what's your point?

Is Eau Rouge the Becketts complex?

Felipe wasn't fully alongside Alonso whe nthe contact occurred. I suggest that the accident was Felipe's responsibility.

#2321 pingu666

pingu666

• 8,588 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:26

did alonso dodge his post race resposibilities with the press? bbc guys said he was too angry to talk to the press :o

#2322 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:34

Of course the car and track conditions can factor into the starts, but it is mainly down to the drivers.

#2323 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:37

did alonso dodge his post race resposibilities with the press? bbc guys said he was too angry to talk to the press :o

they are lying :down:
he said that he is fine with the penalty

#2324 teejay

teejay

• 3,549 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:38

no it is not,
as ms is always stating they had the best starting system so far in the season, although others are catching in that sense!
the drivers part is the reaction time and the shifting, all other thinks are just down to electronics!

The cars no longer have launch control.

#2325 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,424 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:41

Ever heard of the expression "they are unbeatable, we might as well go home"? At least for Swedish ears that isn't insulting at all. I know British fans often cheer for non-British drivers/teams but maybe Alonso doesn't?

Today proved that "THEY" certainly aren't unbeatable, only one was. Hamilton came second, Button moved from 14th to 4th by driving with his usual mixture of high intelligence, soft hands and the ability to overtake 8 cars in one lap!

#2326 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

The cars no longer have launch control.

still they have systems which help with starts, as ms is always stating!

#2327 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Is Eau Rouge the Becketts complex?

Felipe wasn't fully alongside Alonso whe nthe contact occurred. I suggest that the accident was Felipe's responsibility.

You're joking, right? They were neck and neck when the first contact happened. Then Felipe had the line and passed Alonso and then he hit his rear with his frontwing.

Why do people try to alter the truth?

#2328 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

An emotionally "unstable" Alonso equalled Hamilton at his best (so far in his career).

2007 was not Hamilton's best. He was very good then, but he is a much better, calmer and more mature driver now. He has kept the speed yet lost a lot of the mistakes. Moreover, he has gained the ability to manage tyres and control his race with a cool head etc. These attributes mean he is better.

Imagine what a calm, serene Alonso would do!

The thing is we don't often get 'a calm, serene Alonso' when the going gets tough. Of course he has the talent, but we are increasingly seeing him becoming unstable.

He just needs to calm down and realize that Ferrari is one DNF away from being back into the game.

Of course. Let's see how he gets on.

#2329 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,424 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:43

My rule is not to create a new thread so this is probably the best place to post this.

Ferrari has a problem and it's a huge one. They employed a driver who brings havoc everywhere he sticks his mug. This can't go on because it brings the entire corporation into disrepute. I know for a fact that Piero is furious as I type this. And once the rumble starts at the top it can all go very sour very fast. Luca has to react to what happened today and during some other previous points this season. Either he sticks with Alonso and sinks with him or he acknowledges his responsibility as the Ferrari CEO and cuts off this cancer that is destroying the team from within. Alonso is a psychopath. Bad things happen to anyone associated with him. It can be the entire team, his team mate, other drivers on the track or even the governing body. This can't go on any longer.

Just look at what happened today. Taking his team mate out of the race because he didn't accept he made a piss poor start so he had to shred Felipe's rear right a few corners later. Cutting a corner and not giving Kubica the position back and then telling the team over the radion to STFU! And later doing to himself (Liuzzi contact) what he did to Felipe to even further ridicule Ferrari. ALL THIS IN ONE AND THE SAME RACE! That has to be a record in stupidity or whatever you want to call it. A psychopath lives in his own world. Maybe it's not stupidity maybe Alonso need professional help from a shrink? I don't know but something has to change because Ferrari will soon implode!

The most telling point was at the end of the race when Felipe's team radio was totally silent. What can you say after what had happened and also knowing what happened at the pit entry in China? I just think he's fed up with this chaos. This is no normal and solid working environment. Luca has to take a stand and acknowledge the mistake in signing this cancer. Screw the pride and do what's best for the team. Take him out of the loop and give the seat to two young drivers from the youth program.

As it stands now Alonso is bringing Ferrari into disrepute and Luca has to distance himself from that smell.

I do so hate people who sit on the fence....

#2330 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:43

no it is not,
as ms is always stating they had the best starting system so far in the season, although others are catching in that sense!
the drivers part is the reaction time and the shifting, all other thinks are just down to electronics!

Do you realise launch control has been off the cars for a few seasons now. The drivers have to control the clutch and wheel spin themselves. Thus driver input is extremely important.

#2331 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:44

The thing is we don't often get 'a calm, serene Alonso' when the going gets tough. Of course he has the talent, but we are increasingly seeing him becoming unstable.

where do you witness that :confused:

#2332 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:44

You're joking, right? They were neck and neck when the first contact happened. Then Felipe had the line and passed Alonso and then he hit his rear with his frontwing.

Do you really think Alonso did it on purpose?!? Come on, that's racing!

#2333 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:45

they are lying :down:
he said that he is fine with the penalty

No they are not, he refused to talk to them.

#2334 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:45

Do you realise launch control has been off the cars for a few seasons now. The drivers have to control the clutch and wheel spin themselves. Thus driver input is extremely important.

havent you realised that the teams found other solutions which help them in those situations, as ms is always stating that mercedes has the best solution regarding the starts!

#2335 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:46

No they are not, he refused to talk to them.

he talked to the press, otherwise there wouldnt be already interviews with alonso in the net :eek:
stop lying :down:

#2336 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:46

still they have systems which help with starts, as ms is always stating!

It's standardized. The rest comes from the drivers ability to (manually) manage the wheel spin off the line.

#2337 Tifosi90

Tifosi90

• 277 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:47

Which race were you watching? Felipe did overtake him at becketts complex but he lost the position two corners later because his tyre failed on him. If he wasn't so unlucky with the tyre that pass would have stayed. Also I have seen Hamilton overtake cars there in GP2. It's possible to overtake there, Massa has shown that today and Hamilton has shown that in GP2.

Doesn't matter really, Ferrari are just not having the luck they need in the last three races.

Edited by Tifosi90, 11 July 2010 - 15:48.

#2338 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:47

Do you really think Alonso did it on purpose?!? Come on, that's racing!

Purpose? I think he's a psycho. What else is there to say? And of course Luca happily truns a blind eye to what's happening.

Everything is fine at Ferrari, the press releases say so...

#2339 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:48

where do you witness that :confused:

Martin Brundle said it and I agree. It's just opinions of course, but we have seen it a few times this season and we saw it in 2007.

Advertisement

#2340 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:51

he talked to the press, otherwise there wouldnt be already interviews with alonso in the net :eek:
stop lying :down:

I can provide proof that Alonso refused to talk to the BBC, they said it during the race. Now going by your standards, can you prove to me that he couldn't talk to the BBC (like he usually does after a race) because of other reasons? I think it speaks volumes that he only spoke to a minority or the press rather than his full press duties.

#2341 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:51

When did you start following F1?

#2342 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,047 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:52

Which race were you watching? Felipe did overtake him at becketts complex but he lost the position two corners later because his tyre failed on him. If he wasn't so unlucky with the tyre that pass would have stayed. Also I have seen Hamilton overtake cars there in GP2. It's possible to overtake there, Massa has shown that today and Hamilton has shown that in GP2.

Doesn't matter really, Ferrari are just not having the luck they need in the last three races.

I was watching the same race as you. As with any event unfolding before our eyes, we can interpret things differently one of the great beauties of the human mind.

As I understand it, the puncture for Massa was a result of the contact with Alonso in the Becketts complex - meaning that (to my mind) the pass was not a successful one.

I haven't seen the Hamilton GP2 examples. I've certainly never seen it in an F1 race.

#2343 fat.monkey

fat.monkey

• 129 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:52

just curious... how the next friendly chat between Kubika and Alonso would look like :rolleyes:

#2344 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:53

I can provide proof that Alonso refused to talk to the BBC, they said it during the race. Now going by your standards, can you prove to me that he couldn't talk to the BBC (like he usually does after a race) because of other reasons? I think it speaks volumes that he only spoke to a minority or the press rather than his full press duties.

there is a special place and time where drivers have to talk to the press, as alonso did!
alonso is not compeled to talk to the press everywhere and for any time!
bbc must respect that, as other press members did!

bbc is not more worth than the others!

#2345 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,047 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:53

That's not the replay I've seen.

By all means provide a link to your one if you wish.

#2346 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,047 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:54

Could you outline precisely what press duties (with which broadcasters) each driver is required to perform?

#2347 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

havent you realised that the teams found other solutions which help them in those situations, as ms is always stating that mercedes has the best solution regarding the starts!

If they are using some sort of launch control then they are breaking the rules. I doubt MS would admit to break the rules. Can you provide quotes? Articles? Sources?

#2348 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Martin Brundle said it and I agree. It's just opinions of course, but we have seen it a few times this season and we saw it in 2007.

and martin brundle is the man to whom we should listen in that case :rotfl:
:down:

#2349 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:56

there is a special place and time where drivers have to talk to the press, as alonso did!
alonso is not compeled to talk to the press everywhere and for any time!
bbc must respect that, as other press members did!

bbc is not more worth than the others!

Avoided the point I see. Don't worry I didn't expect anything more from you.

#2350 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 11 July 2010 - 15:56

If they are using some sort of launch control then they are breaking the rules. I doubt MS would admit to break the rules. Can you provide quotes? Articles? Sources?

he is saying before any race, and he did also after this, that mercedes is having the best starts, and they know it!
when the german press print that, i will post it here!