Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#2801 George Costanza

George Costanza

• 2,053 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 16:52

"I've been in Maranello four days last week working with the team," :eek: Alonso said in a video interview for Ferrari's website.

"Overall I felt a very good atmosphere in the team. All the guys in Maranello are very, very focused on fighting for this championship.

"After these two bad races people are even more motivated than before because they feel we deserve a good race finally."

:up: :up: :up:

I am very impressed at what a hard worker Alonso is. When he was driving for Renault, he used to visit Enstone factory many many times, I'm not sure if he was a frequent visitor to Woking in 2007, I bet not ;)

I am sure that he is already well loved in Maranello, so can you imagine what will happen when he starts to win races again :clap:

Very much like Schu when he was with Ferrari.

Advertisement

#2802 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,390 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 16:54

Wow, what a guy. Goes to the headquarters of his employer, and works, like, an employee. This is amazing. How can someone go to work and then work. This is definitely breaking news.

Ask in Maranello how many times did Raikkonnen went there to work with the engineers...

#2803 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 16:57

Why don't you tell us because you sound like you know.

Oh, and I said it's amazing, what's the problem :smoking:

#2804 Les

Les

• 2,060 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 18:32

I wonder if his confidence will pay off this weekend?

Off topic but my wife just got a scam letter saying she was the 'lucky winner of £4million'. Bizarrely it was sent and signed by an imaginary character by the name of Mr Fred Alonso!

#2805 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,667 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 18:44

Ask in Maranello how many times did Raikkonnen went there to work with the engineers...

Don't worry, you know the truth.

http://www.crash.net..._two_years.html

"Alonso 'seen more of Ferrari in two days than Kimi in two years'"

#2806 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,232 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 23:20

Posts deleted. Not a Kimi thread.

#2807 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 23:44

"I've been in Maranello four days last week working with the team," :eek: Alonso said in a video interview for Ferrari's website.

"Overall I felt a very good atmosphere in the team. All the guys in Maranello are very, very focused on fighting for this championship.

"After these two bad races people are even more motivated than before because they feel we deserve a good race finally."

:up: :up: :up:

I am very impressed at what a hard worker Alonso is. When he was driving for Renault, he used to visit Enstone factory many many times, I'm not sure if he was a frequent visitor to Woking in 2007, I bet not ;)

I am sure that he is already well loved in Maranello, so can you imagine what will happen when he starts to win races again :clap:

When Alonso is in Maranello for four days prior to a GP, where is Felipe during the same time?

#2808 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,452 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:22

When Alonso is in Maranello for four days prior to a GP, where is Felipe during the same time?

From Massa's blog.

I have been to Maranello twice to have meetings with our engineers, to fully understand the new developments and then last Monday, I spent the day driving the Hockenheim track on our simulator, as well as taking part in more meetings.

Edited by kosmos, 22 July 2010 - 04:22.

#2809 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:20

From Massa's blog.

Exactly, that's what I meant.

The bottom line, there was nothing special about the Alonso piece.

#2810 SuRGe

SuRGe

• 95 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:33

Well, the name of the thread is Fernando Alonso, that may be an indication on why they were talking about Alonso at Maranello and not about Massa...

#2811 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:48

Well, the name of the thread is Fernando Alonso, that may be an indication on why they were talking about Alonso at Maranello and not about Massa...

Yes, but what was so special about him being there for four days?

#2812 SuRGe

SuRGe

• 95 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:51

Nothng special, but what's the need of stating that Massa did the same?

#2813 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,232 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:54

Because someone did think it was special and others felt the need to challenge that aspect of the story.

#2814 as65p

as65p

• 17,114 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:58

Yes, but what was so special about him being there for four days?

Okay, let's play :D .

From Massa's blog I take it that he was there two days, at most three. So Alonso has spent 1 or even 2 days more time in the factory. Isn't that special? :smoking:

#2815 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 09:59

People tought Alonso is a hardworking guy, so when news related to his work appeared, people showed their thoughts on it, like "we're happy to have a/another hardworking driver, because before we only had one/zero.

#2816 as65p

as65p

• 17,114 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:09

I wonder if his confidence will pay off this weekend?

Off topic but my wife just got a scam letter saying she was the 'lucky winner of £4million'. Bizarrely it was sent and signed by an imaginary character by the name of Mr Fred Alonso!

Congratulations! I hope you still remember your old buddies from Atlas now that you're a rich man! :drunk:

#2817 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,853 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:12

In this case, there is nothing special about going to the headquaters and working with the engineers as they have some upgrades planned for the forthcoming races. If he spends four days at the factory week-in-week-out we can consider getting boners. Until then, it's just standard practice. Massa might have had PR work to do, who knows...

#2818 fagotti69

fagotti69

• 19 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:33

Alonso sure has different approach. But in the end the results count.
We will have to see how the rest of the season goes.

#2819 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 573 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 10:35

In this case, there is nothing special about going to the headquaters and working with the engineers as they have some upgrades planned for the forthcoming races. If he spends four days at the factory week-in-week-out we can consider getting boners. Until then, it's just standard practice. Massa might have had PR work to do, who knows...

Or if he starts to camp at the factory like Rubens did when he joined Williams. That was proper dedication :smoking:

Advertisement

#2820 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:39

Heikki Kulta has got an exclusive interview with Fernando Alonso so you can expect more articles - Heikki usually chops them up!

LOOKING DOWN

Turun Sanomat 22.7 2010 20:36:47

Fernando Alonso is known as a tough top driver who without suffering much can even step on his team mate's toes if his own advantage in the race requires it.

In public interviews the Spanish star usually shoots straightly what he thinks without blinking the eye.

But in a smaller group Alonso's being changed: all of a sudden he is in front of you like a shy schoolboy.

I got a unique opportunity for a private interview with Ferrari's superstar and we talked about many current and less current matters.

The driver's answers were very well justified, he takes a position - but he doesn't even by accident look the interviewer in the eye. His eyes were all the time looking down as if the star of the world would be as shy as an monolingual person abroad.

I got a feeling of getting to know the real Fernando who in public always hides behind his tough image.

Those who know Alonso closer feel that his behaviour comes from him not trusting anyone and that he is reserved because he thinks everybody is against him.

What is certain is that it doesn't bother Alonso's mind at all how he got to be a Ferrari-driver a year before although he sits with Finns.

Alonso started his F1-career exactly the same time Kimi Räikkönen did in Australia 2001. He promises to stop immediately when he sees that he isn't winning anymore.

But Alonso won't become a rallydriver after that. The Spaniard admitted very honestly that he wouldn't have the same patience as Kimi has. Whatever Alonso does, he wants to win immediately.

Hockenheim/Heikki Kulta

#2821 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:40

ALONSO WILL END HIS CAREER AT FERRARI

Turun Sanomat 22.7 2010 20:46:09

Does Fernando Alonso have a life after Ferrari? Can you imagine driving for another team at some point?

– Everything changes when you go to Ferrari. When you drive in this team you are a Ferrari-driver for the rest of your life. It changes your whole life. Someday when I have retired I can tell my children and grand-children that I was a Ferrari-driver. It's more than my whole career as a whole.

– After Ferrari it would be impossible to drive anywhere else, Alonso says to Turun Sanomat.

Then for how long will Alonso continue? The current Ferrari-contract will continue for the next two seasons.

– My continuance depends upon how these years go. If I succeed, am happy and enjoy life like I do at the moment. If I feel that I can still win in the future, then I will continue for as long as Ferrari wants me. If I don't enjoy it enough, then I won't just continue because of doing something. Then it's better to do something completely different, Alonso summed up.

Turun Sanomat, Hockenheim

HEIKKI KULTA

#2822 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:40

ALONSO MISSES FAIR RÄIKKÖNEN

Turun Sanomat 22.7 2010 20:52:37

After the winter tests Fernando Alonso assured that Ferrari's F10-car is the best car he has ever drove during his F1-career. On Thursday when interviewed by Turun Sanomat the Spaniard still assured that he feels the same even though he is only 5th in the championship-serie.

– Yes. This is absolutely the best car I have ever drove. The engine, aerodynamics, the feeling it gives... Everything works much better than in those cars I have earlier drove.

– I am satisfied but one has to remember that my opponents also have strong cars. The fact that this Ferrari is the best car I have ever drove doesn't mean that it would be the best car in the championship-serie 2010, Alonso emphasizes.

Only thing not in balance is luck

Alonso won his debut race with Ferrari in Bahrain but has ever since become more weaker. Where is the problem - luck, car or mistakes?

– I think that luck has always been a key factor during the beginning of the season. With another kind of luck I could now lead the championship. I have done mistakes - jumpstart in China and crash in Monaco practice - but that department is in balance since my opponents have also lost points because of making mistakes.

– Luck is the only thing which is never in balance. I have had less luck than my main opponents. I am expecting better luck in the last season - and less Safety Car -situations.

A poorer season hasn't brought Alonso down. He still believes that he is fighting for the WDC.

Different positions as a chaser

Yet the situation is different when compared to years 2005 and 2006 when Alonso won the championships. In 2005 he fought Kimi Räikkönen for the title and in 2006 he fought Michael Schumacher for the title so that he was leading all season long.

Now four other drivers drive for the victories and Alonso has become a chaser from behind.

– There's is remarkably more competition now than it was during my championship-seasons. I have four drivers ahead of me and I have to be able to improve my position.

– What makes the situation tricky is that I can't concentrate on only one opponent. On the other hand it makes the situation easier that those four can't win the race at the same time so that's why taking podiums will improve my situation. When the points go here and there I can quickly get higher, Alonso plans.

– The most important is to win the championship in November.

Kimi will also become a rally winner

Then what does it mean to Alonso now that his longtime competitor Kimi Räikkönen has disappeared from the F1-tracks?

– Kimi was a completely unique F1-driver, different character, brilliant driver and the most fair opponent I have ever known. Kimi is respectable and he is a respectable racer. In every battle or overtaking with Kimi you always had the feeling of us being safe because he always drove so fairly, Alonso praises.

– It's obvious that this bunch of 24 drivers miss Kimi. I think he enjoys it where he drives but it would be cool if he would come back again.

Have you been following Räikkönen's rally career?

– Yes. Kimi has already become a good rallydriver. It hasn't been easy for him because the opponents are years ahead of him when it comes to experience. Yet I believe that Kimi will soon win in rally and I also genuinely wish that he will win the championship in that serie too.

Then would Alonso's patience be enough to like Räikkönen take a challenge that requires years of work to grow into?

– I don't love rally so much that I would ever go there. And I'm also probably not patient enough because rally is so competitive and requires so much learning. It's almost the same as with DTM. You like watching them both but if you try to go there yourself it takes 1-2 years before you know how they work there.

Especially the Finns have been astonished over why Felipe Massa was so even in qualifications with Räikkönen when Alonso again has beaten the Brasilian 7-2.

– I can't answer to that but I think that Kimi found some trust in the car in the end of last season when Felipe couldn't drive. If Felipe would have been driving then I believe that Kimi would had been ahead Felipe just like I am now.

– This year Felipe has slipped because he has had problems getting his tyres temperature right during the qualification lap. In practice and races we are very even. Higher temperatures during this summer's qualifications will help Felipe for sure, Alonso thinks.

HEIKKI KULTA

Edited by Wolfie, 22 July 2010 - 19:42.

#2823 Wolfie

Wolfie

• 1,330 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 19:42

SPAIN LEADS AND OTHER WHINE

Turun Sanomat 22.7 2010 20:46:21

Fernando Alonso would probably had been a soccer-player if he wouldn't be one of the best racers in the world. As a Spaniard he praised that life was like a dance on roses when the country won the WC.

– It meant a lot to me and it meant a lot to all Spaniards. Finally we won in soccer too. We have a good generation in the team that already won the championship in Europe. We have a crisis in the country and a bull's eye like this made everyone's suffering easier.

Did Alonso send congratulations to the team?

– I have the cellphone-numbers of 2-3 players and I congratulated them. On the other hand it's unnecessary because they know anyway how proud and happy the whole Spain was for their victory.

Then why does Spain seem to take everything from the sportfields now that they are also successful in tennis, cycling, F1 and basketball?

– A good ground work in 1980-90 pays off. That's when the sport academies were born and that's where the success is from. There are basketball-centers, tennis- and football fields in every small village. Spain also has about 30-40 karting-tracks. Every department concentrates on sport. Spain is very well prepared and that is the reason why we do so well, Alonso analyses.

Hockenheim/Heikki Kulta

TESTING BAN A BIG SACRIFICE FOR FERRARI

Turun Sanomat 22.7 2010 20:36:39

When Michael Schumacher drove for Ferrari he could test whenever the car didn't function the way he wanted. Is Fernando Alonso envious of this testing freedom when the F10-car hasn't developed like expected?

– For sure. We would have the potential to test in the same way - we have the facilities, track and probably also budget but we just can't use them. It's a shame. The situation isn't fantastic but maybe it is needed when thinking about F1's future. Ferrari gave something to help teams in financial troubles but also lost something for sure, Alonso told Turun Sanomat.

Kimi Räikkönen hated simulators that the testing ban made them use. Alonso laughs when he hears that Kimi got seasick in the simulator.

– We do some work in simulators but I can't say more than that except that we take it so that 50% of the results from the simulators are correct and 50% needs to be checked. A simulator is a good tool but Ferrari's philosophy is that only a real car is a reality, Alonso says.

HEIKKI KULTA

#2824 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 20:40

Great interview, thanks! :)

#2825 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,058 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 20:53

It's an interesting point about Alonso having a public "front" largely at odds with his real, behind-the-scenes personality. If you think back to his time at Renault in 2003, winnng at Hungary, the character appearing in front of the caneras is a lot closer to the type of character in this interview than the sometimes forcibly (and unconvincingly) "tough" persona you tend to see now for the benefit of the camera.

#2826 billkaos

billkaos

• 159 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 22:56

Thanks a lot Wolfie

#2827 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:54

Great interview! Thanks Wolfie :up:

#2828 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 15:52

Fernando Alonso Q&A: It's not too late to fight for the title

"I am quite frustrated that I’ve not been able to stay out of trouble and avoid certain problems. But I am very confident that I am still able to fight for the championship, as the car has improved a lot. I'm very happy with the car now"

"In Silverstone I was not angry. The race was basically over. I was in P18 with 15 laps to go so there was no chance of recovering and therefore no reason to be angry. I had switched off from that race and had begun to think about Germany when I said that on the radio. I started to take care of the gearbox and the engine. There was nothing more to do. The penalties are always fair. They decide what they see and there's nothing we can do. We just have to do better next time. This is in the past and hopefully here in Germany we'll have a trouble-free weekend and take more points than at the previous races."

"I think we can do it our own. We just need to have consistent races. If we’d had a normal race in Valencia and a normal race in Silverstone, I wouldn’t be 47 points behind. I would probably be leading the championship now."

#2829 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,452 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 16:38

New official website.

http://www.fernandoalonso.com/en

#2830 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 13:55

wooow!
2nd starting place!

it smells as tomorrow we will see Alonsos 2nd GP win in a Ferrari!

:up:

#2831 yr

yr

• 5,849 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 13:58

wooow!
2nd starting place!

it smells as tomorrow we will see Alonsos 2nd GP win in a Ferrari!

:up:

Erm, with best car the 2nd place isnt something to celebrate at.

Edited by yr, 24 July 2010 - 13:59.

#2832 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 13:59

Erm, with best car the 2nd place in something to celebrate at.

best car is on pole, but alonso is coming very close to them!

#2833 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:06

In terms of raw speed, Alonso has been always very underrated, and I don't know really why... I think the Red Bull was the car to have again.
I feel Alonso will get the pole in Hungary, one of his best tracks.

#2834 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:10

In terms of raw speed, Alonso has been always very underrated

really?
who did underate his raw speed?

#2835 Obi Offiah

Obi Offiah

• 8,268 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:11

Considering there was only 0.002 between them its difficult to say who has the best car at Hock. We can only really say they are pretty evenly matched here (for qualifying at least).

#2836 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:12

Geez, all the Alonsolovers came out of the woods?

#2837 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:12

really?

You know who.

#2838 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:13

You know who.

you mean, no one who should be considered serious  ;)

Edited by YellowHelmet, 24 July 2010 - 14:15.

#2839 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:15

Considering there was only 0.002 between them its difficult to say who has the best car at Hock. We can only really say they are pretty evenly matched here (for qualifying at least).

I believe the Red Bull was the fastest car again because Webber made a mistake in his last lap and would have beaten Massa at least if it wasn't for that mistake.

Edited by AlanWake, 24 July 2010 - 14:17.

Advertisement

#2840 mindmill

mindmill

• 56 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:15

really?

Haters gonna hate underrate.

#2841 STRFerrari4Ever

STRFerrari4Ever

• 1,723 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:26

Amazing is the only word to describe Alonso's performance today :up: After a tough few races I hope he can put together a solid race and finish on the podium or better yet win the race.

#2842 yr

yr

• 5,849 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:29

I believe the Red Bull was the fastest car again because Webber made a mistake in his last lap and would have beaten Massa at least if it wasn't for that mistake.

But then, Massa himself as well as Domenicali and even Alonso have all stated that Massa is having troubles with this years car in order to get tyres working. So how can you use "Webber coulda/shoulda/woulda have beat Massa" as an evidence of Redbull being faster car is beyond me. If you look at whole weekend between Massa and Webber, which I am sure you wont, you will see that they have been quite equal Massa being ahead 2 or 3 times and Webber being ahead 2 or 3 times before q3. The gap was usually around one tenth in those 3 FPs and in q1 and q2. You cant be more evenly matched than that, can you? The only problem is, Massa has underperformed big time this year as told by himself, his team, his teammate etc. So if Massa can match with his current form a Redbull driver, then Ferrari is superior car for sure.

Edited by yr, 24 July 2010 - 14:33.

#2843 Gene and Tonic

Gene and Tonic

• 555 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:31

I don't think anyone has ever underrated Alonso's raw speed :confused: His temperament maybe, but that's just part of who he is

#2844 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:34

I don't think anyone has ever underrated Alonso's raw speed :confused: His temperament maybe, but that's just part of who he is

Yea, I don't "under" rate it, I rate it quite highly actually. There's just a select 1 or 2 out there who are a bit naturally faster IMHO.

#2845 MrGBrown

MrGBrown

• 158 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:36

Fair play to Alonso today, he did well :up:
Very well, I feel he was was in the 2nd quickest car yet he still beat one.

#2846 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:38

A lot of F1 Fans don't consider Alonso a great qualifier. They think Vettel and Hamilton are superior to him in terms of raw speed.

#2847 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:42

But then, Massa himself as well as Domenicali and even Alonso have all stated that Massa is having troubles with this years car in order to get tyres working. So how can you use "Webber coulda/shoulda/woulda have beat Massa" as an evidence of Redbull being faster car is beyond me. If you look at whole weekend between Massa and Webber, which I am sure you wont, you will see that they have been quite equal Massa being ahead 2 or 3 times and Webber being ahead 2 or 3 times before q3. The gap was usually around one tenth in those 3 FPs and in q1 and q2. You cant be more evenly matched than that, can you? The only problem is, Massa has underperformed big time this year as told by himself, his team, his teammate etc. So if Massa can match with his current form a Redbull driver, then Ferrari is superior car for sure.

Massa had always this problems. They have to say something to flatter him. Anyways is pointless to discuss with an Alonso hater...

#2848 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:42

Maybe Massa has improved and Webber just made a mistake which cost him a pole.

#2849 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:43

A lot of F1 Fans don't consider Alonso a great qualifier. They think Vettel and Hamilton are superior to him in terms of raw speed.

That's not underrating, that's just thinking somebody might be better, how does that make him not a great qualifier?

#2850 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 14:44

Maybe Massa has improved and Webber just made a mistake which cost him a pole.

yes, you can read it on autosport.com