Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#301 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,852 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:06

I don't support any particular driver, I am a Ferrari man. Sure Alonso has made mistakes, but his recovery drives have been awesome to watch as a ferrari fan. I don't recall seeing Kimi doing anything like that. I also believe that Nando has finally found his home at Ferrari and when he eliminates the mistakes he will be a serious WDC contender, not that he is not already. Also all this talk about him being beat by Hamilton is hogwash, if I remember correctly they ended the season with the same amount of points and the same amount of wins, all this despite the team backing Hamilton. This might be a figment of my imagination but I also recall Hamiltons performances tailing off once setup info wasn't being shared. All this said, these guys need to be comended for the performances they put in for our entertainment. Mistakes are part of game. I just wish Massa would up his performances.

Advertisement

#302 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:07

The rules are the same for everyone.

and therefore should be changed in favor of all!

Edited by YellowHelmet, 23 May 2010 - 10:09.

#303 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:17

Did you fail to notice the part, that said the accident was a direct result of his poor start? Ok then...

Nope. It would have been a direct result if he were hit from behind, for example. Otherwise you can trace it back for as long as you want: his real mistake was outqualfying Massa, if he hadn't done that, he wouldn't have got in the middle of Button and Schumacher. Wait no, the mistake was signing for Ferrari. Had he been in the Renault, he would have been further back, so it wouldn't have happened either. Oh no! The mistake was entering Formula 1. Had he been karting in Asturias, he wouldn't have got alongside Button! :drunk:

There's not a direct relation between a bad start and that racing incident, if he had a good start it could have happened the same with the two front cars. So yes, he has done more mistakes that usual but don't get overexcited, that wasn't one.

#304 as65p

as65p

• 17,114 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 10:56

Nope. It would have been a direct result if he were hit from behind, for example. Otherwise you can trace it back for as long as you want: his real mistake was outqualfying Massa, if he hadn't done that, he wouldn't have got in the middle of Button and Schumacher. Wait no, the mistake was signing for Ferrari. Had he been in the Renault, he would have been further back, so it wouldn't have happened either. Oh no! The mistake was entering Formula 1. Had he been karting in Asturias, he wouldn't have got alongside Button! :drunk:

There's not a direct relation between a bad start and that racing incident, if he had a good start it could have happened the same with the two front cars. So yes, he has done more mistakes that usual but don't get overexcited, that wasn't one.

:up:

It was simply a case of "shit happens" which can happen to any driver any time. I don't think any of the three participants was truly "to blame" over that one, just one of those things.

#305 ausf1webber

ausf1webber

• 174 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:04

The reason Alonso is making a few mistakes is simple, pressure + the fact he is human just like Hamilton who also seems to be making more than a few errors. Last year at Renault the car was slow and anything he achieved was viewed as all down to Alonso not the car. At Ferrari the assunption was best car or at least as good as the best and with his talent they would start winning. Santander money plus large Spanish following only add to the pressure. Driving for Ferrari has its down side as well not so long ago they were praising Massa now they seem intent on getting rid of him.

Edited by ausf1webber, 23 May 2010 - 11:06.

#306 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,869 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:10

what a bulls*it discussion. Seriously, waste of time.

#307 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:52

I think that all this bickering about Alonso's mistakes just go to show what a great driver he is. No mistakes, three mistakes, four mistakes or a thousand mistakes: No matter what he is still 3rd in the championship, only 3 points behind the leaders and has taken points in 5 out of 6 races.

And the fact that so many of you seem disappointed with his performance so far is exactly the kind of pressure I talked about earlier. For any other driver these results would be pretty darn good, but when it is Alonso it is not even good enough.

All in all, to me he is just proving his class all over again.

Edited by zeph, 23 May 2010 - 11:53.

#308 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 13:37

Hamilton did beat him with same equipment and treatment. Remember, Hamilton lead Alonso through most of the year, after the 3rd race of the season already. This will always be a fact - ROOKIE BEAT ALONSO IN EQUAL CARS.

The crash with Button was 100% alonsos fault.
The mistake at Monaco was indeed a bad mistake, nothing to do with fortune.

is that a fact? that's your fact, by no means reality, and btw, they drew.

and the crash with button was a race incident, and if somebody is to be blamed that is button who was behind and could have braked (maybe not), gene (f1 driver, you're a wimp here) said it. your statements only show you are another alonso's basher club member,

#309 Suntrek

Suntrek

• 1,779 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 13:42

:rotfl:

Yep, that's exactly how far some people will go to find a reason to bash Alonso...

#310 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 13:49

are slow starts mistakes now? :confused:
I haven't seen ONE SINGLE comment on button's or webber's slow starts mistakes, not one single comment.

#311 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,412 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 13:54

I haven't seen ONE SINGLE comment on button's or webber's slow starts mistakes, not one single comment.

Maybe that is because it is the 'Fernando Alonso' thread. ;)

#312 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 14:28

you didnt get it. It is not a mistake until you get hit by an other driver :)

#313 Feanaro

Feanaro

• 309 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 15:21

yes a slow/bad start is a mistake, and his bad start at australia was because he put the car on the white line and didnt have, grip.
check 0:22 and onwards

And as someone posted above, this is the nando thread, so we discuss him and non other.

cheers

#314 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 15:45

yes a slow/bad start is a mistake, and his bad start at australia was because he put the car on the white line and didnt have, grip.
check 0:22 and onwards

And as someone posted above, this is the nando thread, so we discuss him and non other.

cheers

agreed. bad start. mistake.
then china was is BIG mistake so far.
and the fp3 incident at Monaco too.
still, looking good at leaderboard and during the races.
i am enjoying this season very much :D

no more mistakes, and if the gap with RB is closed a bit, will have a chance to fight

#315 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,043 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 15:56

Is it so hard to accept that its now Alonso in the red car and not Kimi?

Edit:
Eventhough Alonso made a few mistakes this season, im more happy with him as a tifosi then I ever was with Massa or Raikkonen.
He reminds me so much of Schumi, right now Alonso seems to be the fastest guy out there. Kimi/Massa never showed so exciting races as Ferrari drivers like Alonso in Melbourne this year.
Ferrari and Alonso can become a real dreamteam, the car and the rules suites him and "just" needs to cut those mistakes like the jump start.

Yes because it isn't like the Ferrari ever blows engines or lacks qually/race speed. :well: Every driver makes mistakes and has issues with set up, etc., but you can only drive the car you are given. I think that the "car" part of the equation is currently taking the "team" out of "dream" in this scenario for Alonso (and Massa too btw) - rather negating the tifosi wish for another Schumi run (not that such a thing is even remotely realistic in this day and age for many reasons outside of car performance). It isn't just Alonso's (or his teammate's) mistakes that have been the only problem so far - I wouldn't even call it the major issue. However, I do feel failure overall is blamed on Alonso (and mate) and I also feel that Ferrari is happy enough with that arrangement since they have pretty much continued with this silent mode stuff as usual. It may be true that in technical advisories and threads, there is much more known about the F10 and Ferrari has spoken about it, but the fact remains that in the public eye, they have very little defense of their drivers, lending to the idea that it is conductor error rather than the F10 that is the bulk of the problem. I don't believe it for a minute. They lag behind and have other reliability issues as do other teams, but for some strange reason, publicly, they are loathe to discuss it. Granted, fans often start yelling "excuse" when that happens, but in my opinion, Alonso (and his teammate) would get a boost from their support in the popular media.

Edited by bourbon, 23 May 2010 - 15:58.

#316 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 16:27

I don't think Fernando Alonso is making mistakes under pressure due to the fact that he is driving a Ferrari if not for the fact that he knows that he has a very good car and has found a team that backs him and respects him. He is driving more with his heart than with his brain.

Edited by AlanWake, 23 May 2010 - 16:31.

#317 Menace

Menace

• 12,203 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 17:22

agreed. bad start. mistake.
then china was is BIG mistake so far.
and the fp3 incident at Monaco too.
still, looking good at leaderboard and during the races.
i am enjoying this season very much :D

no more mistakes, and if the gap with RB is closed a bit, will have a chance to fight

I am very satisfied, that yo and some other Alonso fans manage to keep a clear head and not get blinded by the fanboyism ( YellowHelmet :wave: ). It helps keep the more rabid fanboys in check, who don't see a mistake as a mistake, and lament about poor luck when there was none involved. Poor luck, is what happened to Hamilton or Vettel when they have a mechanical break-down that has nothing to do with them, poor luck is not crashing into the armco in Monaco during FP3.

Anyways, I am delighted there are some level headed fans here :up: , even though they often get drowned by the numerous fans who see nothing wrong with Alonso ever, and think he can walk on water.

#318 buzatlas

buzatlas

• 753 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 18:26

As things seem to be at the moment Red Bull will win easily the championships so the best option is for Fernando to take the fight for 3rd with Hamilton and win some races.

If it wasn't for his mistakes he would seem to challenge them big time leading the championship (he did lose about 20 points) but sooner or later Red Bull would catch him anyway.

At least his pace will not suffer as the mistakes (starts and practice) were not done under typical push mode. It's possibly due to too much things he has to think about - new team, establish himself as leader inside Ferrari and fighting faster Red Bull cars.

But of course there's always hope that they can challenge Red Bull with some miracle upgrade but don't count on it - and Vettel (and Webber sometimes) isn't really a poor driver at all.

#319 biljon

biljon

• 16 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 20:19

Once again Alonso had great "luck" with a crash and saftey car in a race.
Last time he was so lucky the story behind the crash was awful. Whats the story behind the crash this time? Was it just luck that Hulkenberg crashed early?

Advertisement

#320 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 8,852 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 20:31

Last time he was so lucky the story behind the crash was awful. Whats the story behind the crash this time? Was it just luck that Hulkenberg crashed early?

Bad taste... Real bad... Alonso is now asking other teams to do the dirty work. That post is so sad.

#321 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 20:38

he was very lucky with the safety cars.
after lap8 he was some 16s behind leader,
without safety car it would have been 40-50secs.
so in a way his pit stop was for free, and then some

i must say both Gené and Lobato were very short sighted in their reading of the race live, stating that the safety was BAD for his strategy because he had no free air to go fast.
those were some very unfortunate comments. not very smart lol
that safety car was a miracle for him!

anyway, what was up to him, he delivered good racing.
actually saved the day, otherwise to be a snoring festival... xD

#322 Menace

Menace

• 12,203 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 20:41

i must say both Gené and Lobato were very short sighted in their reading of the race live, stating that the safety was BAD for his strategy because he had no free air to go fast.

Yes, he made the race interesting for sure, and he didn't put a foot wrong during the race. :up: Without the safety-cars it would have been impossible, but they appeared right at the correct times. :)

Lobato really said that? :lol: That guy never ceases to amaze me!

#323 revmeister

revmeister

• 213 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 20:46

If a race is held on a street course, it is pretty much certain that there will be at least one safety car event. However, Alonso's strategy of changing tires after the first lap before tackling the back markers would have succeeded without it.

Race distance fuel loads, a mandatory tire change, and the ability to look after his tires while overtaking was the key to his success, not the safety car, though it didn't hurt.

#324 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 20:57

What a fascinating read these last two pages.

Thanks for the entertainment. :lol:

#325 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 20:57

Maybe that is because it is the 'Fernando Alonso' thread.;)

I mean on this bb.

it seems alonso is the only one to be blamed here of his mistakes (it doesn't surprise me though) which cost him valuable points, regardless of how many webber did lose or button indeed. webber is the one to be leading comfortably the championship, alonso's got 7 pages talking about how reckless he's, how many pages did webber get about it?

#326 Feanaro

Feanaro

• 309 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 22:30

I mean on this bb.

it seems alonso is the only one to be blamed here of his mistakes (it doesn't surprise me though) which cost him valuable points, regardless of how many webber did lose or button indeed. webber is the one to be leading comfortably the championship, alonso's got 7 pages talking about how reckless he's, how many pages did webber get about it?

funny you say that

http://forums.autosp...ebber should be

here you go :up:

cheers

#327 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:50

After Alonso's race at Monaco, I expect every single driver to be able to run 70 laps in one set of tires. Any tire explosions, over-wear, spin-offs, etc shall then be called "driver mistakes". :cool:

#328 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:59

I am very satisfied, that yo and some other Alonso fans manage to keep a clear head and not get blinded by the fanboyism ( YellowHelmet :wave: ).

who are you? The divider? The man who divides users in good Alonso fans and bad Alonso fans :confused:
The good are the one that suit YOU (and your humble opinion) and the bad are the opposite!
You take you far to serious!

But no reason to get emotional.

You count a bad start as a mistake that is worthy to count into a "Alonso Mistakes Index". Okay, but that shows, how good Alonso trully is, a bad start (which he could easily compensate) is a big mistake of Alonso. Your opinion, but this is fussy.

The false start in China: we are all the same opinion. It was a mistake, that costed him one place in the race, than the place he started from (again he showed, that he can compensate his mistakes with his driving skills :up: )

Crash in free practise in Monaco: We are all the same opinion. It was a mistake, and one with an very unfortunate outcome.

Edited by YellowHelmet, 24 May 2010 - 12:04.

#329 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 12:46

But enough of this mistake-focus in the Alonso-Thread, which is really an antilogy!

Why dont we focus on the driver, Alonso, who is not sitting in the fastest car this season and still is just three points away of the two leading drivers, who sit in the by far fastest car in this years formula1!
We should concetrate on his unmatching drving abbilities, which allowes him to threaten the Red Bull drivers, although his is fighting with inferrior material.

So, what were the highlights of the 2010 sesaon for Alonso!

1. Bahrain win
2. an extraordinary race in Australia, which he probably could have won, if he wasnt caught up behind his teammate!, or hitted in the first corner by Button.
3. Malysia: maybe the best race in Fernando Alonsos career! unfortunately he had an engine failure, and couldnt made it to the finish.
He drove with a car that had a gear box problem and an upcoming/emerging engine problem, and still was able to drive the second fastest lap in the race and overtake some cars and battle with button in an f-duct mclaren!
4. China, after a false start, and a total of 5 pit visits, he showed his team mate, who is the man in Ferrari, and managed to finish 4th!
5. Spain. under a lot if pressure in front of his home crowd, he managed to drive on the podium (due to some luck), although the Ferrari was just the 3rd fastest Team in that race.
6. Monaco: after an crash in free practise which had an unfortunate outcome, and he had to start dead last, he managed to finish 6th!!!

I think, that this season we should remember more of his accomplishments, than anything else.

#330 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 13:46

So, what were the highlights of the 2010 sesaon for Alonso!

1. Bahrain win
2. an extraordinary race in Australia, which he probably could have won, if he wasnt caught up behind his teammate!, or hitted in the first corner by Button.
3. Malysia: maybe the best race in Fernando Alonsos career! unfortunately he had an engine failure, and couldnt made it to the finish.
He drove with a car that had a gear box problem and an upcoming/emerging engine problem, and still was able to drive the second fastest lap in the race and overtake some cars and battle with button in an f-duct mclaren!
4. China, after a false start, and a total of 5 pit visits, he showed his team mate, who is the man in Ferrari, and managed to finish 4th!
5. Spain. under a lot if pressure in front of his home crowd, he managed to drive on the podium (due to some luck), although the Ferrari was just the 3rd fastest Team in that race.
6. Monaco: after an crash in free practise which had an unfortunate outcome, and he had to start dead last, he managed to finish 6th!!!

I think, that this season we should remember more of his accomplishments, than anything else.

Just WOW! :eek:

There's clearly a new religion in the world today. Its name is Alonsoism!

Edited by VicR, 24 May 2010 - 13:47.

#331 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 15:32

Yes, Alonso was so lucky at Monaco. Safety Cars there, who would have expected that? :rotfl:

Said an Alonsophobe.

Edited by AdamKOR, 24 May 2010 - 15:33.

#332 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 15:55

Short sighted ?!?! You are being very nice to them(I still can't believe Gene said that) That's the most stupid thing I ever heard from a F1 'comentator'.

#333 as65p

as65p

• 17,114 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 16:53

Says a Masslam... :p

#334 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 17:33

back to the topic, fernando, I just want to share this with you all, he was 4 when he did his first interview on radio, it's so cute...

#335 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 17:56

Alonsomanía is not that new of a religion :p

#336 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 17:59

Short sighted ?!?! You are being very nice to them(I still can't believe Gene said that) That's the most stupid thing I ever heard from a F1 'comentator'.

if it makes you happy, next time i'll use strong language :D

#337 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,128 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 18:23

Alonso has just taken Jake Humphrey for a spin. That should be fun to watch this weekend.

#338 jeze

jeze

• 2,973 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 20:31

I'm a convert!

Alonso Akhbar :clap:

#339 mstar

mstar

• 1,105 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 22:01

well for me Alonso has been very lucky in races with saftey cars etc. He has made more mistakes then any of the other leading drivers thats just my observation.

Advertisement

#340 JSDSKI

JSDSKI

• 1,439 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 22:18

funny how luck follows champions around....

#341 Schuting Star

Schuting Star

• 5,139 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 22:20

funny how luck follows champions around....

Ain't that the truth.

#342 RAY930

RAY930

• 1 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 22:25

If a race is held on a street course, it is pretty much certain that there will be at least one safety car event. However, Alonso's strategy of changing tires after the first lap before tackling the back markers would have succeeded without it.

Race distance fuel loads, a mandatory tire change, and the ability to look after his tires while overtaking was the key to his success, not the safety car, though it didn't hurt.

And who is Massa?

#343 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,172 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 22:27

It already exists, it's spelt Alonsism (alonisista, who supports Alonso) and it's not a religiion, it's being an Alonso supporter :D

#344 revmeister

revmeister

• 213 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:08

And who is Massa?

If you are suggesting that Massa may have run a little slow and allowed Alonso to pop into sixth after the pitstops, you might be on to something. Mind you, Massa has been establishing some credibility in that regard all season, so definitive conclusions are hard to make. :lol:

Massa, team player?

Edited by revmeister, 25 May 2010 - 12:09.

#345 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:18

"Not one bit," di Montezemolo said when asked by Gazzetta dello Sport if there were regrets. "It was good with Michael but it's over. No regrets. Today I'm very happy with Alonso, both on and off the track.

"Alonso has team spirit, conscientiousness, attachment to the team. And when he races he's a fantastic fighter."

Di Montezemolo says the only error that Alonso had to accept responsibility for was Monaco – but reckons that the fact he remained in a strong position in the championship meant there was no reason to feel too unhappy.

"I consider a mistake only what happened at Monte Carlo, due to excessive confidence," he said. "He wanted to test the limit while thinking of pole, and he crashed. The jump start in China was down to the tension. But we are in a great position for the championship - the game is on."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/83863

#346 Hollow

Hollow

• 186 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 13:30

"Not one bit," di Montezemolo said when asked by Gazzetta dello Sport if there were regrets. "It was good with Michael but it's over. No regrets. Today I'm very happy with Alonso, both on and off the track.

"Alonso has team spirit, conscientiousness, attachment to the team. And when he races he's a fantastic fighter."

Di Montezemolo says the only error that Alonso had to accept responsibility for was Monaco – but reckons that the fact he remained in a strong position in the championship meant there was no reason to feel too unhappy.

"I consider a mistake only what happened at Monte Carlo, due to excessive confidence," he said. "He wanted to test the limit while thinking of pole, and he crashed. The jump start in China was down to the tension. But we are in a great position for the championship - the game is on."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/83863

LOL, Luca must also be a blind fanboy. Wait for the haters to elaborate their theories about this. It's going to be fun reading their crap.

#347 RSNS

RSNS

• 1,492 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 14:07

Alonso is a different from his MacLaren and before years. He tries too much, nowadays. He is fast, perhaps the fastest driver right now, which was not necessarily the case before.

I think in his two WDC years he had an advantage at the start and then had to manage it (first WDC) and in the second he really shined against Schumacher.

During the MacLaren year he had to push himself a bit more and became error prone in qualifying. In the races he was usually faster than Hamilton in very fast tracks (IMO, but I think the stats back this opinion) and about equal in slower ones; but he was slower in qualifying because he was under a lot of stress and that lead into errors that he more seldom made before.

In Renault he tried to overdrive the car and that, again, made him a bit error prone.

Now in the Ferrari he might want to learn some restraint again, and get rid of the errors.

Regarding this years' errors, I agree that while many are understandable, the run of errors, itself, suggests that Alonso either is having a string of bad luck or is pushing too hard. I would say, but I might be wrong, that he is just a little too eager.

Edited by RSNS, 25 May 2010 - 14:10.

#348 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 14:44

the run of errors

are you serious that you are talking about Alonso? :stoned:
What run of errors do you mean, even Montezemolo count just one real (and that one was in free practise!)

Edited by YellowHelmet, 25 May 2010 - 14:45.

#349 Lokt

Lokt

• 460 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 15:00

are you serious that you are talking about Alonso? :stoned:
What run of errors do you mean, even Montezemolo count just one real (and that one was in free practise!)

montezemolo is a fanboy ;)

I belive most people including most Alonso fans would be able to recognice that Alonso has made more than just one mistake this season

I´d go as far as saying Alonso probably disagrees with Montezemolo that hes just made one mistake this season so far.

#350 Szoelloe

Szoelloe

• 5,612 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 15:03

Don't know what all this fuss is about, Alonso is not an error prone driver never was, as far as I remember, and don't think he will start now, usually it is the contrary. He made a mistake in Monaco FP. So what? He was a little over enthusiastic.

Edited by Szoelloe, 25 May 2010 - 15:04.