Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#3551 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 14:18

Ferrari are so desperate for their relationship with Alonso not to go sour that Ferrari have been forced by Alonso to intervene with making Alonso the#1 driver at such an early stage in the season.

If Ferrari don't put on lid on Alonso's behaviour and make it clear who is the boss, he will be out of control and is bound to end in tears at Maranello.

Edited by rabbitleader, 26 July 2010 - 14:18.

Advertisement

#3552 F1EC

F1EC

• 864 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 14:26

Ferrari are so desperate for their relationship with Alonso not to go sour that Ferrari have been forced by Alonso to intervene with making Alonso the#1 driver at such an early stage in the season.

If Ferrari don't put on lid on Alonso's behaviour and make it clear who is the boss, he will be out of control and is bound to end in tears at Maranello.

But he's been out of control all season. His mental state seems very unbalanced. I said it weeks ago, they need to get him some kind of help before he implodes. He seems to be in a totally different world from everyone else around him.

#3553 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,690 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 14:47

There are plenty of threads now where you can discuss the specifics of the German GP incident so there is no need to discuss it here too. Please limit discussion here to Alonso, and please stop trolling.

#3554 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 14:49

:confused:
if out of control means he is unstopable on track, ferrari is doing the right thing :up:

#3555 Diablobb81

Diablobb81

• 3,522 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 14:55

:confused:
if out of control means he is unstopable on track, ferrari is doing the right thing :up:

Well, he was certainly stopped by Massa. And Kubica. And the wall. :rotfl:

"He went backwards and cut the gap easily"

Or Massa went forward.

Edited by Diablobb81, 26 July 2010 - 14:56.

#3556 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 15:06

Exactly. IMHO the blame is more on Ferrari that on Alonso. All the blame on him is based on the "This is ridiculous" radio. We don't get to hear what all drivers say in order to make a fair comparison.

Indeed, just after weighting FA was asking Massa if he had a problem with the gearbox or something, either tried to look surprised by the easy overtaking or genuinely didn't realize what happened until the podium. It is clear than in the podium he realizes and everything he speaks after that is Ferrari PR, IMHO.

(BTW that forum is not a sports forum, but a kind of a trolling forum)

He was asked in the unilateral press conference whether he had requested to be allowed past Massa and refused to answer.

Q. We heard in Australia this year you saying to the team 'look I am faster than Felipe, let me pass him'. At any stage were you saying that this afternoon?

FA: Well, I think sometimes you are quick, sometime you are slow depending on what stage the tyres are. Sometimes you have a little bit of graining and sometimes you have some other problems. In some parts of the race maybe I was quicker than him. Some other parts of the race Felipe was very quick and pulling away from Sebastian and me, so it is very difficult to judge but it is a very strong result for the team. Top three in qualifying and top two in the race and the best thing as well is that the car keeps improving. It is not a result down to the weather conditions or to anything like that. It is a good performance from the team and hopefully next week in Hungary we can do a good weekend as well and score some strong points for the team.
unquote

Now that the matter is being referred to the WMSC I would expect more of the radio transcripts to be publicised. I, for one, would be more than interested to learn what was said/requested from Alonso's end.

#3557 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 15:13

Now that the matter is being referred to the WMSC I would expect more of the radio transcripts to be publicised. I, for one, would be more than interested to learn what was said/requested from Alonso's end.

why?

surely it was requested, that an intern battle is far to risky, and that he is the guy (THIS SEASON) who is nearer to win the championship and not massa.

What is the problem about that?

Massa was before that race 77 points behind the leader. that means three DNF and three wins of massa wouldnt equal it!
why are we arguing?

#3558 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 15:23

He even let Felipe build a 3.4 seconds gap only to recover at a rythm of 3 tenths a lap, just to show he was faster.

That is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard. Even Fernando disagrees: "Some other parts of the race Felipe was very quick and pulling away from Sebastian and me".

#3559 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 15:26

why?

surely it was requested, that an intern battle is far to risky, and that he is the guy (THIS SEASON) who is nearer to win the championship and not massa.

What is the problem about that?

Massa was before that race 77 points behind the leader. that means three DNF and three wins of massa wouldnt equal it!
why are we arguing?

Who is arguing? I have stated many times that I have no problem with team orders and I believe they should be legal.

I would, nonetheless, be interested to hear what was actually discussed between Ferrari and its drivers during the race. If it was the case that Alonso had been asking to be allowed past, as his avoidance of the question asked might indicate, it would be reasonable for me to conclude that it was a case of Ferrari (Domenicalli) bending to Alonso's wishes rather than it being the idea of the team management.

Advertisement

#3560 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 15:37

Who is arguing? I have stated many times that I have no problem with team orders and I believe they should be legal.

I would, nonetheless, be interested to hear what was actually discussed between Ferrari and its drivers during the race. If it was the case that Alonso had been asking to be allowed past, as his avoidance of the question asked might indicate, it would be reasonable for me to conclude that it was a case of Ferrari (Domenicalli) bending to Alonso's wishes rather than it being the idea of the team management.

far to speculative,
i think that domenicali is the best what happened to ferrari (after alonso  ;) ) in the past years.
he is damn good about what he is doing and he is that damn good to know that this year massa is out of the contest!

domenicali :up:

#3561 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:09

far to speculative,
i think that domenicali is the best what happened to ferrari (after alonso ;) ) in the past years.
he is damn good about what he is doing and he is that damn good to know that this year massa is out of the contest!

domenicali :up:

He handled yesterday well didn't he :rolleyes: .

#3562 buffbuff

buffbuff

• 239 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:22

I think Alonso is getting more flak on this due to his public outburst after Valencia where he complained for 24 hours that the stewards had manipulated that result. It was not just the British press giving him an ear bashing either.
F1 Media goes to war

#3563 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:31

This clear "wanting to be number 1" status has shined through from 05 till now, and this is the ugly side of it. I have lost a lot of respect for him yesterday.

You have forgotten 2004 and Jarno - I lost all respect for Fernando years ago.

Alonso does have a remarkable capacity for being the beneficiary of some very questionable behaviour from the teams he has driven for, yet always remains blissfully unaware of the actions behind those events.

Alonso: who, me?

I have no clue as to what do you find pathetic in fact that I tried to like Fernando, but failed. His 'manipulated' comments, then 'you don't need to speak to me anymore', then 'come on guys, this is ridiculous', then celebrating the victory and lying to the whole world and he managed to do all of those in just 3 races :)

Indeed, Alonso has set a new record... beating all his previous ones is quite a feat.

I don't think he forgot how to drive. His problem is that Hamilton happened in his life and he hasn't recovered yet.

Hamilton 'owns' Alonso's mind, for sure.

I think it's becoming obvious to everyone that Alonso wants everything handed to him on a plate otherwise the toys are very quickly jettisoned from the pram.

Yep. When FA was 'faster' than Fisico in Canada, and told by team "well pass him", he promptly crashed his Renault! Maybe Stefano was afraid BlackHeart would do the same yesterday?

ive been pretty impartial about alonso throughout his career.....there is no denying his talent but there really have been too many negative incidents associated with the man for it all to be a coincidence.

Santander Fernando (SF no longer stands for Scuderia Ferrari) should be given an honorary membership on the WMSC, he brings all his teams there so often ;)

#3564 Mario5

Mario5

• 284 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:42

I don't think he forgot how to drive. His problem is that Hamilton happened in his life and he hasn't recovered yet.

Oh yes, everything in the F1 world revolves around the great Hamilton. I've been watching F1 for a while now and there were always "number 1" drivers on the teams. Alonso is the number one at Ferrari, he's the only one of the two with a chance at the WDC, and they got the same amount of points in the WCC -- so if I'm Ferrari, this was the outcome I wanted. Honestly, the mock outrage is a little over the top.

#3565 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:45

That is the biggest load of rubbish I have ever heard. Even Fernando disagrees: "Some other parts of the race Felipe was very quick and pulling away from Sebastian and me".

Fernando let Felipe establish a gap of 3 seconds due to an agreement they had before the race, which effectively gave the race win to Alonso as he was easily able to catch Massa afterwards (which was the condition required to get 1st place)/

#3566 F1Champion

F1Champion

• 2,924 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:53

Somebody here in the forum said something to the effect that Alonso would drag Ferrari into court in one or two years. Well it might be even sooner.

As much as I have admired him as a driver he frankly looks like a destroyer of teams.

Yes he obviously knew, just as he obviously knew what was going on at Renault too.

I know this is slightly OT - but I'm not certain Massa has forgiven Alonso for Singapore gate. I still think that Massa feels that Alonso knew something about that day and basically caused him to lose a WDC. Massa was cruising in that race and the SC lead to a catastrophic points loss and in the end Massa lost by 1/2 points.

That will be the second time that Alonso has done him over.

#3567 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:55

Fernando let Felipe establish a gap of 3 seconds due to an agreement they had before the race, which effectively gave the race win to Alonso as he was easily able to catch Massa afterwards (which was the condition required to get 1st place)/

that's pure speculation form a forum. Same as me saying that Fernando told Stella to tell Domenicali to tell Smedley to tell Massa to let him pass.

#3568 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:57

I can't work out whether you're being sarcastic or not :confused: . If what you say is true do you have a link, source, quote?

#3569 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:57

I understand that Ferrari have said this happened because the two drivers did their fuel save at seperate times. This was clearly all part of the charade of trying to make the order less obvious and more justifiable.

#3570 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,038 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 16:58

Lauda: Alonso Has No Character
26th July 2010

"Niki Lauda, who almost burned to death in a Ferrari 34 years ago. 'I've never heard a driver talk such bull****,' he said of Alonso. 'He has no character. This was the most stupid thing I have ever seen from Ferrari. Why did they do it? They did not need to because the championship is alive for another eight races. Why could Massa not have a chance to win, a year since he had the accident that could have cost his life?'"

http://www.dailymail...Hockenheim.html

This is the biggest bull**** I heard in a long time from Niki Lauda.

Normally Niki supports such moves, as it is clear to him like to any WDC that a world championship is won throughout the year in every race, and not just in the last eight races. So to give up points for the teams contender purposefully is asking for it.

Michael Schumacher, whom I hold in critical regard, expressed it perfectly in his post race interview on BBC: "There is no other way. What, if at the end of the season you lose the championship exactly for this number of points - what do you say to the sponsors, the fans, the journalists - why did you sacrifice the points" (paraphrased)

Niki sometimes wants to endear himself to media, particularily English media and German media.

#3571 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 17:14

Oh yes, everything in the F1 world revolves around the great Hamilton. I've been watching F1 for a while now and there were always "number 1" drivers on the teams. Alonso is the number one at Ferrari, he's the only one of the two with a chance at the WDC, and they got the same amount of points in the WCC -- so if I'm Ferrari, this was the outcome I wanted. Honestly, the mock outrage is a little over the top.

No I don't think everything in F1 revolves around Hamilton but Alonso seems to think that.

#3572 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 17:16

Normally Niki supports such moves, as it is clear to him like to any WDC that a world championship is won throughout the year in every race, and not just in the last eight races. So to give up points for the teams contender purposefully is asking for it.

Michael Schumacher, whom I hold in critical regard, expressed it perfectly in his post race interview on BBC: "There is no other way. What, if at the end of the season you lose the championship exactly for this number of points - what do you say to the sponsors, the fans, the journalists - why did you sacrifice the points" (paraphrased)

Niki sometimes wants to endear himself to media, particularily English media and German media.

He is right in saying that Alonso showed he has no character with not acknowledging he won with help and not, as he says, because he was the fastest. He showed no respect to Massa at all with his comments and celebrations.

#3573 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 17:23

No I don't think everything in F1 revolves around Hamilton but Alonso seems to think that.

Why? I am sure Alonso doesn't care about Hamilton really, he just want to beat him.

Alonso hasn't problem with Hamilton and neither Hamilton with Alonso. Case closed.

#3574 Birelman

Birelman

• 2,537 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 17:28

Why? I am sure Alonso doesn't care about Hamilton really, he just want to beat him.

Alonso hasn't problem with Hamilton and neither Hamilton with Alonso. Case closed.

LOL you really believe that?

Knowing how drivers think, they both have a beef with one another, that PR crap is just PR crap. While personally they could care less for each other, at work they are itching to get on each other's nerves and so on.

#3575 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 17:54

While personally they could care less for each other, at work they are itching to get on each other's nerves and so on.

Can't agree more with you :up: What I find stupid is what Alonso haters or some Hamilton fans make us believe :lol:

#3576 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 18:08

He handled yesterday well didn't he :rolleyes: .

domenicali made no mistake yesterday. it was down to smedley and massa to make it look as it looked yesterday!

#3577 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,329 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 18:10

domenicali made no mistake yesterday. it was down to smedley and massa to make it look as it looked yesterday!

dosent matter whos mistake it was Alonso would not of won that race without help.

#3578 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 18:13

dosent matter whos mistake it was Alonso would not of won that race without help.

it sure would be harder, but you can also say massa had help from vettel etc.
still that is okay, becuase the better ferrari driver (this season, regarding championship points) have now bigger chances to win the championship!

#3579 grunge

grunge

• 4,317 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 18:34

Niki is nothing but spot on..alonso over the years has shown no character on a no. of occasions where he should have had.

and really what is the purpose of quoting MS on the subject???...what do u expect the German to say?..that team orders are bad and a driver should never be stripped off a race victory in that fashion?..the man himself benefitted from such orders on track and off track throughout his career.Austria was the biggest PR disaster possible...theres only one answer MS can give to this question in public even if he thinks otherwise personally

Advertisement

#3580 Fat Albert

Fat Albert

• 37 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 18:43

to paraphrase Mr Shaw

to win one race through the gift of a team mate may be considered fortunate, to win two sounds like pre-planning

I hope Alonso remembers, when he stands before the WMSC as opposed to the stewards, that Mclaren were not fined $100m for spygate, they were fined $100m for lying to the WMSC about spygate

#3581 Tifosi90

Tifosi90

• 277 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 18:55

I find it funny how everyone is saying it was better for WDC hunt if Alonso won that race. What are these people smoking?

Alonso is not going to be a champion this year, he is simply not good enough and the number of mistakes he has already made this year have put his WDC challenge out of his reach. The guy is 34 points behind the leader and the F10 is not the best car by any margin. The simple fact that both of his victories were lucky tells you everything.

Last race everyone was saying Ferrari are out of the title hunt, one race later and now everyone is saying Alonso is back in it. :rotfl: :rotfl:

#3582 hotstickyslick

hotstickyslick

• 3,390 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 19:12

I find it funny how everyone is saying it was better for WDC hunt if Alonso won that race. What are these people smoking?

Alonso is not going to be a champion this year, he is simply not good enough and the number of mistakes he has already made this year have put his WDC challenge out of his reach. The guy is 34 points behind the leader and the F10 is not the best car by any margin. The simple fact that both of his victories were lucky tells you everything.

Last race everyone was saying Ferrari are out of the title hunt, one race later and now everyone is saying Alonso is back in it. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Raikkonen was 17 points behind Hamilton with two races to go in 2007, 34 points this year is less than that.

#3583 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:59

Thread re-opened after a clean up. The topic is Fernando Alonso.

Whilst I am sure some elements of the team order row will be relevent to this thread, please ensure they (or indeed any posts in this thread) are linked to the topic. There are plenty of other, more appropriate, homes for discussion of other elements of the team orders row.

Thanks very much

Gareth

#3584 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,690 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:51

More posts deleted.

Last warning or the thread will be closed again. Take discussion about Germany '10 to one of the appropriate threads. I appreciate that Alonso was involved in that issue but discussion of the specifics is off topic here.

If you have any questions, please PM one of the hosts. Do not start a discussion about it here.

#3585 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 3,026 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:28

People put Schumacher's achievements into question and in the spotlight but I think Alonso's achievements should also come under scrutiny.

He's clearly happy with nothing less than #1 status and needs complete team support to achieve the best. I understand the need to have a comfort zone but without it Alonso has been 'exposed' for being a complete mental midget and that shows in his performances - especially this year - so much so I'm starting to question his mental fragility.

I'm really starting to re-evaluate my opinion of his as the best driver on the grid, I used to think he was the complete article - like Schumacher - and while he has certain qualities that all time great drivers possess, his crumbling in poor positions leads me to question his status. We never saw Schumacher, Prost et al have these mental crises and mental break downs in the middle of races.

#3586 brabham bt50

brabham bt50

• 327 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:36

Roger Benoit of Blick Online, today in his article about Alonso

Jetzt heisst der Spanier «Skandalonso».

#3587 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:48

Alonso will soon match or pass Lauda in most F1 historical statistics.

Lauda:
3champs, 25wins, 54podiums

Alonso:
2champs, 24wins, 57podiums

Niki lives in the past and is full of hatred. i dont know why but he's INSULTED Fernando too many times.
now his opinion is worth nothing to me. only insults
let him be quoted by those whose agendas need the empty polemics to be fueled...

#3588 goat0063

goat0063

• 279 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:51

Roger Benoit of Blick Online, today in his article about Alonso

Jetzt heisst der Spanier «Skandalonso».

:rotfl:

#3589 EVO2

EVO2

• 754 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 10:52

Martin Whitmarsh has made some very interesting comments on Autosport.com this morning and one in particular is highly relevant to the ongoing debate about Alonso.

I agree with everything Ferrari_F1_fan_2001 said at 10:30. Martin, talkng about 2007 said : ( Alonso Please Note )

"During that phase I remember talking to the drivers and their management and saying, 'what a great driver would want to do is look himself in the mirror and say, I have won this world championship on merit and not by the team leaning one way and giving me an advantage.'

"We do desperately want to win but it is about how you win. If you win and you know you have cheated then I don't see how at any stage in your career or post career when you reflect upon it how you can have a feeling of ecstasy."

How could anyone look in the mirror and count Hockenheim as a victory ?

Yet Fred is on record as being happy with his "victory" at Singapore 2008

#3590 ausf1webber

ausf1webber

• 175 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:02

Alonso is the most over rated driver ever. His fans make excuses for his mistakes, tantrums etc but the reality is he cannot take internal team pressure.

#3591 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,690 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:18

Alonso is the most over rated driver ever. His fans make excuses for his mistakes, tantrums etc but the reality is he cannot take internal team pressure.

Three statements, all unrelated other than the shared bitterness of tone.

Alonso is the most over rated driver ever.

Define please. Overrated by whom? How does one 'over rate' a man who has won two world championships and come close in a third? He is still widely considered the best driver on the grid by a lot of the grid itself. Maybe they are overrating him, but then maybe they know something about F1?

Utterly ridiculous statement - please back it up.

His fans make excuses for his mistakes, tantrums etc

How is this different from any other driver on the grid and the forum fanbase? Bit of a 'straw fan' argument I think.

but the reality is he cannot take internal team pressure.

I think this is wrong. he deal with it well enough, by being the faster driver and convincing the team to follow him and not 'the other guy'. Not really much different, again, from many drivers on the grid.

Perhaps you could expand on your post and make a more compelling case?

#3592 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:36

He is still widely considered the best driver on the grid by a lot of the grid itself.

By who exactly? When? Where?

I think this is wrong. he deal with it well enough, by being the faster driver and convincing the team to follow him and not 'the other guy'.

Huh. One only needs to remember what happened in 2007 with McLaren when Alonso *imploded* totally like no other driver in recent history when pressure was applied. And the desperate "this is ridiculous" comment last sunday was also very telling. Let's face it Alonso only seemed to be able to handle pressure when paired with subservient B-class drivers (Fisichella and Piquet).

#3593 EVO2

EVO2

• 754 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:41

[quote name='Johnrambo' date='Jul 27 2010, 12:36' post='4507167']

Exactly right :
One only needs to remember what happened in 2007 with McLaren when Alonso *imploded* totally like no other driver in recent history when pressure was applied. And the desperate "this is ridiculous" comment last sunday was also very telling. Let's face it Alonso only seemed to be able to handle pressure when paired with subservient B-class drivers (Fisichella and Piquet). :up: :up: :up:

#3594 WheelBanger304

WheelBanger304

• 357 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:46

Alonso will soon match or pass Lauda in most F1 historical statistics.

Lauda:
3champs, 25wins, 54podiums

Alonso:
2champs, 24wins, 57podiums

Niki lives in the past and is full of hatred. i dont know why but he's INSULTED Fernando too many times.
now his opinion is worth nothing to me. only insults
let him be quoted by those whose agendas need the empty polemics to be fueled...

You don't like what he has to say = "Niki lives in the past and is full of hatred". Your pathetic attempt to imply that Lauda's comments are inspired by envy about their respective career statistics is beneath contempt. At least Lauda has no Singapore 2008s or Hockenheim 2010s on his list of "wins". And at least the comments quoted on this board by the likes of Roger Benoit, Lauda and other journalists and pundits will have disabused you of your quaint notion that it is only the evil British who refuse to accept that the sun shines out of Alonso's a*se.

#3595 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,023 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:50

In a recent Bild survey, 9 of the current drivers on the grid rated Alonso the best driver. He got the most votes of any driver by far (nearest challenger had 2 votes, iirc).

#3596 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,690 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:51

http://forums.autosp...w...0&hl=spoken

Huh. One only needs to remember what happened in 2007 with McLaren when Alonso *imploded* totally like no other driver in recent history when pressure was applied. And the desperate "this is ridiculous" comment last sunday was also very telling. Let's face it Alonso only seemed to be able to handle pressure when paired with subservient B-class drivers (Fisichella and Piquet).

He turns those drivers into B-class even if they are ordinarily not, by convincing the team that he is the way. He failed to do this in McLaren, but he tried. He thought he has done this in Renault (1) but in reality he was just better than Fisi. He appears to have been promised it for Renault (2) by Flavio so no fight was needed.

No team in their right mind would consider allowing him #1 status unless they thought he was capable of making it work.

#3597 mindmill

mindmill

• 56 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 12:02

German Bild am Sonntag conducted an anonymous survey among 20 current F1 drivers (Williams and Renault drivers didn't participate) last week with some interesting results to say the least:

Best F1 driver of all time:
12 votes for Ayrton Senna
3 votes for Michael Schumacher
2 votes for Alain Prost

Best current F1 driver:
9 votes for Fernando Alonso
2 votes for Lewis Hamilton
2 votes for Jenson Button

WDC 2010 favorite:
8 votes for Lewis Hamilton
6 votes for Sebastian Vettel

"Dirtiest" current F1 driver (no tally count, just the rankings):
1. Lewis Hamilton
2. Fernando Alonso
3. Michael Schumacher

http://www.motorspor...t_10071903.html

<edit>
Check out aditya-now's post in the thread mentioned by Buttoneer for more details:
http://forums.autosp...w...t&p=4484110
</edit>

Edited by mindmill, 27 July 2010 - 12:08.

#3598 Desdirodeabike

Desdirodeabike

• 1,890 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 13:33

Martin Whitmarsh has made some very interesting comments on Autosport.com this morning and one in particular is highly relevant to the ongoing debate about Alonso.

I agree with everything Ferrari_F1_fan_2001 said at 10:30. Martin, talkng about 2007 said : ( Alonso Please Note )

"During that phase I remember talking to the drivers and their management and saying, 'what a great driver would want to do is look himself in the mirror and say, I have won this world championship on merit and not by the team leaning one way and giving me an advantage.'

"We do desperately want to win but it is about how you win. If you win and you know you have cheated then I don't see how at any stage in your career or post career when you reflect upon it how you can have a feeling of ecstasy."

How could anyone look in the mirror and count Hockenheim as a victory ?

Yet Fred is on record as being happy with his "victory" at Singapore 2008

Mr. Whitmarsh has got some common sense. Sense that is appreciated by racefans as well.

I well remember Alonsos quote on him being happy about his Singapore win. I am not exaggerating but it literally made me feel sick to my stomach hearing that. And that he was "happy to help the FIA" in the Spygate case. Yea, thats exactly how it went down. You "helped" them..
If he is serious when saying these things, the man must have no scruples or remorse what so ever. If he isnt serious when saying them, then he is untruthful at best when it would have been wise to just keep his mouth shut. At least being quiet would have been more respectful to all the people that were casualties of those 2 incidents. I personally believe that he sees no wrong with his actions at all. Which is a scary thought.

How anyone can happily support a man with such an attitude puzzles me greatly. There is more than just racing on the track. Not that it has been that impressive lately either.

#3599 VoRteX

VoRteX

• 166 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 13:39

You don't like what he has to say = "Niki lives in the past and is full of hatred". Your pathetic attempt to imply that Lauda's comments are inspired by envy about their respective career statistics is beneath contempt. At least Lauda has no Singapore 2008s or Hockenheim 2010s on his list of "wins". And at least the comments quoted on this board by the likes of Roger Benoit, Lauda and other journalists and pundits will have disabused you of your quaint notion that it is only the evil British who refuse to accept that the sun shines out of Alonso's a*se.

past, present or future; the fact is that every time he opens his mouth to speak about Fernando: INSULTS
he insults all the time and i interpret that as hate. what else could it be?
what is pathetic is his attitude. this guy plays in the same league as Eddie Jordan. a circus buffoon that insults for a living. see? i can insult as well xD
and its a shame for a triple champion tbh. was it not for that mind clouding hate he could enlighten us with interesting insights (not the case unfort.)

Edited by VoRteX, 27 July 2010 - 13:40.

Advertisement

#3600 Alonshou

Alonshou

• 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 13:48

I remember exactly what happened in mclaren and what happened that year tells me alonso is the best driver on the grid. He almost beat a whole team against him, any other driver in the same situation would have finished at least 30 or 35 points behind lewis.

the "this is ridiculous" comment also tells me alonso thinks about the long-term championship, everybody knows how stupid it would be to DNF against your teammate when you are 1-2. it's just common sense, no whining at all. the fact alonso speaks his mind also tells me he's a very sincere guy no matter what others think about him, actually he doesn't care and that is what I personally appreciate the most of a human being. hypocrisy for others...

btw, alonso handled the pressure very well whilst driving for mclaren imho