Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#3701 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:21

Because the situation in 2007 was that Alonso wouldn't accept equal treatment.

why shouldnt he accept equal treatment!
what he was criticising was the mistreatment in team and not the equal treatment (which wasnt there!)

Advertisement

#3702 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:22

alonso hasn't, actually he's more loved than ever, especially after what's happened this weekend, with a atrocious attack from the british media, british media that has tried to discredit him unsuccessfully since fernando took over button at renault

your logic is well manipulated by media

err no, I think you need to look at the whole world media and include the Italian media - the feeling about the weekend is universal, oh probably not the Spanish media though :lol:

#3703 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:22

Alonso best friends, excluding robert, are fisico and trulli, former teammates, renault love him and ferrari love him, mclaren is the plague here

Well he is getting on just a treat at Ferrari isn't he :rolleyes: . Making a lot of good friends and creating a really good image about himself.

#3704 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:23

The double World Champion got beaten by a rookie. That's a heavy cross to bear.

alonso beated hamilton 10:7 on track, despite being mistreated in team!

#3705 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:24

why shouldnt he accept equal treatment!

No you're right he should be completely favored every were he goes otherwise he just kicks up a complete fuss and starts sprouting his mouth off. What a guy :rolleyes: .

#3706 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:25

I think he was referring to the more important measure - the WDC table.

#3707 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:25

What were you expecting from the Ferrari press release?

Fernando Alonso: "I must apologise to Coral on the Autosport Bulletin Board for the events of Sunday, as well as everything else I have eve done. I will flagellate myself whilst walking own the pitlane at the Hungaroring."

Felipe Massa: "To be denied victory is something I will never get over, but I must thank Coral from the Autosport Bulletin Board for supporting me."

Sounds reasonable to me.

Go Coral :love:

AND, Luca dM himself has said that it was team orders and that it has always been the policy in Ferrari, since Nuvolaris days. The official stance isn't to deny it anymore, it is to paint it as perfectly normal - which it WAS.

It WAS illegal Mate, if you're in self denial of written, known and completely provable factual rules of Formula One, thats your issue (along with Luca's).

You can't just turn up and run in F1 as you see fit ignoring the rules.

Edited by cheapracer, 27 July 2010 - 18:29.

#3708 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:26

No you're right he should be completely favored every were he goes otherwise he just kicks up a complete fuss and starts sprouting his mouth off. What a guy :rolleyes: .

if he earns it, why not?

#3709 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:26

what a bunch of bs

alonso best friends, excluding robert, are fisico and trulli, former teammates, renault love him and ferrari love him, mclaren is the plague here

Renault as it was then does not exist. It had to be disbanded with it's senior personnel banned from the sport.

Let's see how long the Ferrari/Alonso relationship lasts before we pronounce this a love affair. As much as I dislike Ferrari, I have a deep respect for the tifosi and the passion they show for their team. I would expect them to tire of Alonso's antics before too long.

#3710 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:27

no otherwise he wouldnt beat hamilton 10:7 on track in 2007, but it surely was a new situation for him that he had to learn to cope with (i mean the mistreatment in team!)

Oh I thought you were referring to being treated equally. I hear he took that quite hard.

#3711 Alonshou

Alonshou

• 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:28

Well he is getting on just a treat at Ferrari isn't he :rolleyes: . Making a lot of good friends and creating a really good image about himself.

for millions of spaniards his image is now stronger than ever as it's been blatantly demostrated that no matter others commit tha same offense, yet alonso is the only brutally and atricously attacked coz the guy speaks his mind and fire articles up helping journos to sell papers.

they love him in ferrari, domenicalli was jubilant after the race, ldm loves his passion and nothing will change no matter how many times british media try to discredit him

what we saw on sunday is exaclty the same of what we saw in hockemheim 2008,

#3712 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:29

if he earns it, why not?

He didn't earn it, he lost to a rookie.

#3713 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:29

I would expect them to tire of Alonso's antics before too long.

what antics are you talking about?
and why do you expect that?

#3714 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:30

He didn't earn it, he lost to a rookie.

he didnt lose, he came out as winner, because the was racing him, and still couldnt make the rookie WDC.

(regarding earing: i was talking about 2010!)

Edited by YellowHelmet, 27 July 2010 - 18:32.

#3715 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,430 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:31

...mclaren raced against alonso...

Which is more than Renault did with Piquet, or Ferrari with Massa last weekend.

#3716 Alonshou

Alonshou

• 45 posts

Renault as it was then does not exist. It had to be disbanded with it's senior personnel banned from the sport.

Let's see how long the Ferrari/Alonso relationship lasts before we pronounce this a love affair. As much as I dislike Ferrari, I have a deep respect for the tifosi and the passion they show for their team. I would expect them to tire of Alonso's antics before too long.

a poll on la gazzetta backed fernando yesterday by a huge margin 83% against 17%. there's other lives beyond british media, and our thoughts well differ from yours

#3717 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

both same poiunts, although mclaren raced against alonso, not bad at all, dont you think?

I think it's shocking, he lost to someone in their first season. Very embarrassing. Something I bet he is still trying to get over - hence his feelings towards Hamilton.

#3718 cheapracer

cheapracer

• 10,388 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:32

Yeah well Hamilton came 2nd and Alonslow came 3rd.

Which would you rather have and be remembered for?

You meant "despite alienating himself from the team" didn't you....

#3719 salamin

salamin

• 1,692 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:32

both same poiunts, although mclaren raced against alonso, not bad at all, dont you think?

wrong, mclaren favored alonso in the 1st half of the season, after the blackmailing that changed of course

Hamilton beat him fair and square in 2007, don't get even more pathetic arguing with it

Advertisement

#3720 Alonshou

Alonshou

• 45 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:33

Which is more than Renault did with Piquet, or Ferrari with Massa last weekend.

or mclaren with kovalainen in 2008

#3721 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

I think it's shocking, he lost to someone in their first season. Very embarrassing. Something I bet he is still trying to get over - hence his feelings towards Hamilton.

you wrote rightly, THEIR, because hamilton was favoured, but still alonso was the rookie in mclaren, not to forget!

#3722 wj_gibson

wj_gibson

• 2,157 posts

Yes but come on did he have to be so pretentious about it. It was obvious he was given the win. He didn't deserve it.

I strongly suspect that the Ferrari press office will have given the drivers a very good idea of precisely what sort of opinion to voice in that press release.

di Montezemelo has decided that the team will take the line of unrepentance; the drivers will surely have been instructed to do likewise.

#3723 Vilenova

Vilenova

• 2,854 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:36

I believe Fernando can repeat what he did almost 7 years ago in Hungary the next sunday.

It will be alot easier for Massa to move aside this time. So you may get your wish.

#3724 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:36

for millions of spaniards his image is now stronger than ever as it's been blatantly demostrated that no matter others commit tha same offense, yet alonso is the only brutally and atricously attacked coz the guy speaks his mind and fire articles up helping journos to sell papers.

they love him in ferrari, domenicalli was jubilant after the race, ldm loves his passion and nothing will change no matter how many times british media try to discredit him.

Firstly the Spanish media is far worse than the British media at just shoveling total shit to the masses. And secondly it's not just the British media picking up on the many issues related to Alonso, even the Italian papers are. It won't be too long before some stories are leaked from inside Ferrari about Alonso and the way he wants things to be run. Let's just wait and see :cool: .

#3725 Coral

Coral

• 2,776 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:40

Sounds reasonable to me.

Go Coral :love:

Well thank youu cheapracer! :kiss:

Press release or not, it still comes across as gloating, and it leaves a very bad taste in the mouth.

#3726 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:41

you wrote rightly, THEIR, because hamilton was favoured, but still alonso was the rookie in mclaren, not to forget!

Alonso was favored in the first half of the season. He through it all away by alienating the team. I think Alonso and his fans were extremely jealous of Hamilton in 2007 and probably still are now. A champion being beaten by a rookie :lol: .

#3727 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:43

I strongly suspect that the Ferrari press office will have given the drivers a very good idea of precisely what sort of opinion to voice in that press release.

di Montezemelo has decided that the team will take the line of unrepentance; the drivers will surely have been instructed to do likewise.

True. But Alonso wasn't much different in his post race attitude and comments. I think the press release was pretty much what Alonso probably feels anyway.

#3728 Gilles4Ever

Gilles4Ever
  • RC Forum Admin

• 20,194 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:48

Enough with the personal attacks, trolling and flame baiting. Have a discussion, this is what the forum is for after all!

#3729 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:51

a poll on la gazzetta backed fernando yesterday by a huge margin 83% against 17%. there's other lives beyond british media, and our thoughts well differ from yours

I would expect nothing else and in this case (Hockenheim), I happen to agree with them. They are expressing support for their team.

There will come an occassion however when the interests of the genuine tifosi and Ferrari management are not the same as what Alonso wants. I will see how keen you are to quote gazzetta then.

I communicate with many Italian Ferrari fans whom I have met at Grands Prix and most of them are delighted to have Alonso in the team, there are a few however who, already have exactly the same view of him that the "british media" (whatever that is) do i.e. that he is not a team player and will prove to be as disloyal as he was at McLaren.

#3730 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 18:55

I would expect nothing else and in this case (Hockenheim), I happen to agree with them. They are expressing support for their team.

There will come an occassion however when the interests of the genuine tifosi and Ferrari management are not the same as what Alonso wants. I will see how keen you are to quote gazzetta then.

I communicate with many Italian Ferrari fans whom I have met at Grands Prix and most of them are delighted to have Alonso in the team, there are a few however who, already have exactly the same view of him that the "british media" (whatever that is) do i.e. that he is not a team player and will prove to be as disloyal as he was at McLaren.

you mean as hamilton. threatening to leave etc.

no inteligent team boss (as domenicali is) will ever weigh one's word. it is the general impression that counts.
and generally alonso is doing very well.
sure there will be hard times, like in every relationship, but as i said, an intelligent team boss will know how to weigh one's words!

#3731 TheArmchairCritic

TheArmchairCritic

• 1,035 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:03

Yup the British media hate Alonso so much that last year they put him ahead of Mansell, Hakkinen,Brabham,Gilles,Lauda,Piquet Snr.,Ascari, Graham Hill in their 50 greatest drivers list
http://www.timesonli...icle5986660.ece :wave:.

Edited by TheArmchairCritic, 27 July 2010 - 19:04.

#3732 Coral

Coral

• 2,776 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:04

It's funny reading some of the posts by Alonso fans from late 2006. Most of them were dead against Lewis getting the second seat at McLaren in 2007...give the seat to Pedro de la Rosa, they said, Lewis will get destroyed by Alonso. But it seemed that they knew something that most of us didn't. I thought Alonso would beat Lewis easily, though I knew Lewis would be good given his impressive performance in GP2. It did appear to me that Alonso was being favoured in the first half of the season...I remember actually saying here that Lewis would never win a race at McLaren as long as Alonso was there. For me the team started to turn in favour of Lewis after his win in Canada, and then there were Alonso's stupid antics in Indianapolis, waving at the pit wall demanding that Lewis let him past. And that was all before Spygate. Alonso makes it easy to dislike him...he was his own worst enemy at McLaren. Had he accepted that Lewis was as good as he was, then we could have had three fantastic years of Lewis vs. Alonso. But thanks to Alonso's stupid petulant behaviour, it was never to be. :(

#3733 P123

P123

• 8,414 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:07

for beating the favoured driver 10:7 on track, although the team was racing against him, sure!

Heh- actually it was 8-6 to Alonso- you can't really count races where one of them didn't finish. Anyway, whatever makes you more comfortable. Clearly Alonso didn't deal well with the pace of Hamilton. Or I suppose it is the teams fault that he went off at the first corner in Spain and Canada and crashed out of Fuji (yes, I'm sure you have some inventive theories on those, but that's too much tinfoil hat for me!).

#3734 royalblue0

royalblue0

• 499 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:10

It's funny reading some of the posts by Alonso fans from late 2006. Most of them were dead against Lewis getting the second seat at McLaren in 2007...give the seat to Pedro de la Rosa, they said, Lewis will get destroyed by Alonso. But it seemed that they knew something that most of us didn't. I thought Alonso would beat Lewis easily, though I knew Lewis would be good given his impressive performance in GP2. It did appear to me that Alonso was being favoured in the first half of the season...I remember actually saying here that Lewis would never win a race at McLaren as long as Alonso was there. For me the team started to turn in favour of Lewis after his win in Canada, and then there were Alonso's stupid antics in Indianapolis, waving at the pit wall demanding that Lewis let him past. And that was all before Spygate. Alonso makes it easy to dislike him...he was his own worst enemy at McLaren. Had he accepted that Lewis was as good as he was, then we could have had three fantastic years of Lewis vs. Alonso. But thanks to Alonso's stupid petulant behaviour, it was never to be. :(

I was beginning to like him a little more at the beginning of this season, but now it seems that his normal 5 year old behaviour has been resumed.

#3735 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:11

you mean as hamilton. threatening to leave etc.

no inteligent team boss (as domenicali is) will ever weigh one's word. it is the general impression that counts.
and generally alonso is doing very well.
sure there will be hard times, like in every relationship, but as i said, an intelligent team boss will know how to weigh one's words!

Will you get it into your head I am not a fan of Hamilton, I am a fan of McLaren and always have been.

Hamilton's behavior at points in 2007 terrible and what he did at Hungary at the start of Q3 would have been the big story and enough for Dennis to teach him a lesson if Alonso did not retaliate in such a way that got the race stewards involved. There are no excuses for the way either of them behaved that day.

It was Alonso however who took it to a whole other level, he threatened to take evidence of the Ferrari documents to the FIA - from that moment onwards his position was totally untenable. Had it been known that the would be excluded from the WCC, I am sure than Dennis would have replaced him with De la Rosa.

#3736 P123

P123

• 8,414 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:11

Funny thing is, I remember arguing against those who claimed that Alonso was being favoured by McLaren in the first half of 2007. And I'll argue against those who claim Hamilton was favoured. Alonso screwed up enough on his own to cost himself that championship. His sulking behaviour when a teammate is ahead of him is nothing new.

#3737 ToniLola

ToniLola

• 81 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:29

I think you fail to see that Alonso failed on track. Lewis beat him fair and square.

Okay, maybe this is off-topic, and please don't flame me, but is anyone ever going to write a book about the 2007 season, or has all information been tied-up in the courts/confidentiality agreements?

If would be an awesome read, Rookie, 2X world Champion, Ferrari, Dossier, photo copier, FIA.

I recall Stepney announced that he was going to write a book, but that got scuttled quite quickly.

#3738 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:30

It was Alonso however who took it to a whole other level, he threatened to take evidence of the Ferrari documents to the FIA - from that moment onwards his position was totally untenable. Had it been known that the would be excluded from the WCC, I am sure than Dennis would have replaced him with De la Rosa.

that was never proven, that was the version of dennis, alonso said that this is not true!

#3739 Flamini

Flamini

• 817 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:53

It's something very funny on this board. Despite my average english i try to explain as good as i can some double standards:

This season we have Alonso who is clearly faster than Massa. A lot of people here think that it's definitely too early to draw conclusions who is faster/better driver and it's better to wait for 2010 season for bigger picture. Ok, I understand. This season Massa has problems with tyres (as far as i know only in three or four races, but nevermind). It's too early. Argument? Because it's first season with Alonso and Massa in the same team. Ok.

But we have also 2007 season, one and only with Hamilton and Alonso in the same team. Alonso had this season also problems with tyres (ok, not really the same as Massa this year). Alonso was really good od Michelins and he had to immadiately switch tyres. He said in interview (around March 2007) that tyres were the main difference in 2007. But nevermind. Providing that he hadn't problems with the tyres, it was still one season with them as teammates.

My question is: why people say that Alonso vs Massa 2010 season is not valid and wait for 2011 to get bigger picture and at the same time say that Hamilton is better than Alonso based on one season when Hamilton was second and Alonso third with the same amount of points?

The answer of course will be: "Sorry, man, Hamilton was a rookie, so it's obvious that he would be better/faster on his second season".

Even seems logical, right? But we have some problems with this logic.

Robert Kubica in 2008 was asked by reporter how much he improved as a driver in relation to 2006, his rookie year. He answered that he didn't improve in terms of speed. He said that he is of course more experienced, but his speed is more or less the same. And even said it's difficult to improve speed.
Let's see what happened in BMW since 2006:
2006: Kubica (rookie) vs Heidfeld - evenly matched. Kubica had a third place Monza, Heidfeld no podium. 3-3 in races, 10-6 in points to Heidfeld. A really good year for Kubica, especially that he started in the middle of the season (last 6 races). So it was expected more from Kubica and...
2007: Heidfeld clearly better
2008: Kubica clearly better
2009: matched

After good rookie year, Kubica in his second year was clearly worse than Heidfeld.

So it's not that obvious that in second season you will perform better than in the first.

It's even more: Hamilton was so complete driver in 2007 so it's really hard to imagine that he was clearly better in 2008. In 2008 he was more erratic than in his rookie year. In terms of speed? Well, Kubica said that it's hard to improve speed...

I'm not saying that Alonso would beat Hamilton in 2008. I'm not saying Alonso is better driver than Hamilton. I'm not saying Alonso is the best driver in F1. I'm saying that one season is maybe not enough to draw strong conclusions (espiecally based on Kubica - Heidfeld history).

Now you can say that I'm blatant troll, traditionally I don't care :wave:

Advertisement

#3740 ForeverF1

ForeverF1
  • RC Forum Host

• 6,522 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 19:53

Again missed the point. If Alonso was better than Hamilton then he should be able to beat him over the course of the season by gaining more points. He is a 2x WDC he should know you don't win championships by who finishes ahead of who and when, you win by accumulating points.

You are on sticky ground there, they had equal points, but it was the position 'count back' that gave Hamilton the higher position in the WDC 2007 listings.  ;) Just saying.

#3741 Pepsicoke

Pepsicoke

• 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:20

Can't believe Alonso's calling his Germany win 'a great feeling.' Massa must be pissed off x10 now.

#3742 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:29

Can't believe Alonso's calling his Germany win 'a great feeling.' Massa must be pissed off x10 now.

"A great feeling" because Ferrari has returned to winning ways.

#3743 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:30

"A great feeling" because Ferrari has returned to winning ways.

What about his "every win is special" then?

#3744 CoolFiltered

CoolFiltered

• 1,036 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:31

I think that's a strong contender for the ironic post of the year award, but you never know, it may be cheated of the win by some underhand shenanigans...

Google translator, quite handy at times.

Esta es la manipulación! mi mensaje es más irónico que el suyo. dame el premio. :cat:

#3745 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:31

it is all about winning, and that is special

#3746 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:33

In 2007? OMG What one can read in this forum.

Yes, in 2007. From worse strategy in Australia, changing Hamilton strategy in Monaco, team coverup of Alonso in Hungary, Nurburing quali car failure, Monza tyre burst, China leaving Lewis on destroyed tyres, Brazil gearbox failure.

Alonso had one gearbox failure.

#3747 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:36

Of course it is PR. We don't know how really Alonso feels after this win, and we probably won't never know it.

#3748 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:37

Yes, in 2007. From worse strategy in Australia, changing Hamilton strategy in Monaco, team coverup of Alonso in Hungary, Nurburing quali car failure, Monza tyre burst, China leaving Lewis on destroyed tyres, Brazil gearbox failure.

Alonso had one gearbox failure.

Yes but the McLaren mechanics clapped for Hamilton when Lewis made that great start in the first race. That probably destroyed Alonso's season. When Fernando was on a qualifying lap he could always hear that clapping sound which surely lost him half a second per lap.

#3749 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:39

Of course it is PR. We don't know how really Alonso feels after this win, and we probably won't never know it.

His comments on his singapore win didn't have any PR value at all, so I guess what he says is how he feels.

I would like to hear Alonso's answer to the question whether he thinks Massa deserved the victory at Hockenheim or not. Then we'll know a bit more 'for sure'. Hopefully a journalist will ask him this week at the PC.

Edited by F.M., 27 July 2010 - 20:41.

#3750 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 20:45

His comments on his singapore win didn't have any PR value at all, so I guess what he says is how he feels.

I would like to hear Alonso's answer to the question whether he thinks Massa deserved the victory at Hockenheim or not. Then we'll know a bit more 'for sure'. Hopefully a journalist will ask him this week at the PC.

I am sure Alonso isn't saying us what he really thinks. You just have to read the last press conference.