• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#351 as65p

as65p

• 17,280 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 15:11

... just a little too eager.

That's my impression too, TBH.

But it's not a fundamental problem and I don't consider it too serious yet. It hasn't cost him very much (might have to reconsider that at the end of the season), and the performance itself has been top-notch.

He just needs to string a series of incident free races together and the rest will sort itself.

The pressure is certainly on, and it won't vanish if one's supposed to be Ferraris lead driver.

Maybe I'm simply too cynic, but I don't give Montezemolos words much value one way or another. At this point in time he would always talk like that, regardless of what goes on behind the scenes. That goes for his words about Massa also.

At the end of the day, both drivers have to meet certain expectations from the managment. If they do, all will be fine. If not, it won't help either of them to point at this interview and how LdM has backed them (apparently).

Advertisement

#352 bourbon

bourbon

• 6,595 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 15:15

um, I'd say he's driving slightly more aggressively than in the past (at times when he wouldn't) which leads to errors and some pretty dicey decisions - and some flat out bad decisions. But you see where he is in the standings - so he has some room for mistakes built in. Course, he might want to start saving that for the F10's reliability issues - tho maybe he has more faith in the red car than I do.

Edited by bourbon, 25 May 2010 - 15:17.

#353 Mika Mika

Mika Mika

• 6,738 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 15:17

LOL, Luca must also be a blind fanboy. Wait for the haters to elaborate their theories about this. It's going to be fun reading their crap.

Wait till the "It's Alonso's Brother" comment comes out....;)

#354 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 15:42

Wait till the "It's Alonso's Brother" comment comes out....;)

forgot about that ... :lol:

P.S. I've just seen Alonso in today race in IL GIRO. He handed the prize+flowers to the cyclist on the 1st place (pink shirt).

#355 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:43

Media is media and our only reference framework, but on some dutch websides im reading that the pressure on Alonso is growing and growing. The mistakes Alonso has already are reducing Ferrari's trust in Alonso, Fernando cant affort any more mistakes in this yet still young season.

#356 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:49

Media is media and our only reference framework, but on some dutch websides im reading that the pressure on Alonso is growing and growing. The mistakes Alonso has already are reducing Ferrari's trust in Alonso, Fernando cant affort any more mistakes in this yet still young season.

Any links or are you just making things up?

#357 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:52

Any links or are you just making things up?

http://www.f1journaa...lijks F1 Nieuws

#358 JPW

JPW

• 3,335 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:56

Thanks so it's basically the same info Autosport published:

Montezemolo: No regrets about Alonso

#359 Katsumi

Katsumi

• 1,114 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 19:58

Thanks so it's basically the same info Autosport published:

Montezemolo: No regrets about Alonso

Aaah yes :up: thanks for that link.

Advertisement

#360 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 22:36

this is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this bb

#361 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 06:23

I'm sorry but where it says that the mistakes Alonso has already are reducing Ferrari's trust in Alonso?

#362 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 14:42

About Alonso

"If you think that, of the first six races, four times I found myself last or thereabouts after the opening laps and I am third in the world championship, three points off the leader, I have no reason not to be confident," he said.

So let us just hope that he wont have any problems in the next races!

#363 Campeador

Campeador

• 296 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 22:21

GO FERNANDO, GO FERRARI!!!!

The only problem ATM is Ferrari needs to close the gap with the Bulls and stay ahead of McLaren which it seemed had changed in Barcelona. I hope Turkey shows a better picture for the red cars but it seems they are behind McLaren.

#364 otoelpiloto

otoelpiloto

• 1,691 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 22:54

GO FERNANDO, GO FERRARI!!!!

The only problem ATM is Ferrari needs to close the gap with the Bulls and stay ahead of McLaren which it seemed had changed in Barcelona. I hope Turkey shows a better picture for the red cars but it seems they are behind McLaren.

I don't really see that picture, fernando's lapped today in 1.32s on long runs, whilst hamilton and button were doing 1.33s, and fernando was flying on his best timed lap up to came across schumy in s3

#365 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:12

Okay guys, this is it, he made a mistake again.... But let's not despair...

Let's hope for another drive through the field.. Common...

#366 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,880 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:15

I'm shocked by Alons's performance today... He needs to get everything together, the sooner the better, if not, we will see another thread: Kubica to replace Alonso in 2011 :lol:

#367 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:18

This guy is so overrated. I agree that his performances in 05 and especially 06 were good but he really dropped the ball from 07 on.

#368 segedunum

segedunum

• 239 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:27

Well, after all the soundbites last year as to why Raikkonen was going (in reality, Santander and Alonso came as a package and Ferrari needed the money) I suppose Montezemolo has to say that.

#369 Lights

Lights

• 9,414 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:29

Second WTF moment from Alonso in 2 weeks. Don't know what to think of it. The points are given out tomorrow however.

#370 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 12:35

"Not one bit," di Montezemolo said when asked by Gazzetta dello Sport if there were regrets. "It was good with Michael but it's over. No regrets. Today I'm very happy with Alonso, both on and off the track.

"Alonso has team spirit, conscientiousness, attachment to the team. And when he races he's a fantastic fighter."

Di Montezemolo says the only error that Alonso had to accept responsibility for was Monaco – but reckons that the fact he remained in a strong position in the championship meant there was no reason to feel too unhappy.

"I consider a mistake only what happened at Monte Carlo, due to excessive confidence," he said. "He wanted to test the limit while thinking of pole, and he crashed. The jump start in China was down to the tension. But we are in a great position for the championship - the game is on."

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/83863

What else would he say? It's the same as with saying that Massa will drive for them next year, just to give the driver confidence. Both of them are out next year, Kubica and Vettel/Webber in :D

(Would be fun if Ferrari added some clauses in their contracts after Kimi..)

:p

#371 Claudius

Claudius

• 2,277 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 14:09

Everyone has off days from time to time.
I don't think Alonso should be lambasted for messing up one qualifying.

He made a mistake in Monaco as well, but that was in in FP3. Unfortunately for him the car couldn't be fixed in time for Q.

I honestly don't see the mistakes as so damaging as some say.
Ferrari are not in the top 2 now, so the drivers have to take more risks to keep up with Red Bulls and McLarens.
Of course he's gonna make mistakes then.
But he still is only a couple of points behind the overall leader. Pretty good performance.

(I can't believe I'm defending Alonso. I dislike him personally but he is a damn good driver.)

#372 prty

prty

• 5,161 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:49

I think, and haven't seen this mentioned by anyone, that the new points system could have something to do with the string of mistakes. If you think about it, he jumped the start in China because he desperately wanted to be in front of the Red Bulls so he could win the race. He crashed in Monaco because he wanted pole position, as with any other starting position it's a lot less likely to win there. He did well in Bahrain because it was just the first race so there was no big need to win there, and in Spain because a Red Bull win was a given there.

So maybe he has the wrong approach, yes winning is more important than last year, but consistency is not much less important.

#373 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:04

What else would he say? It's the same as with saying that Massa will drive for them next year, just to give the driver confidence. Both of them are out next year, Kubica and Vettel/Webber in :D

(Would be fun if Ferrari added some clauses in their contracts after Kimi..)

:p

Talking about jokes, if Ferrari keep on downgrading the "quality" of the Ferraris I guess it's them who will have to get customary to just hire drivers from GP2 to give them a "try" in F1.

Althought I still think they are better than last year.

#374 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 18:28

Great Race by fernando! What a shame with the benchmarkers! They costed him the victory! But as Alonso said: "we are back in fight" :up:

#375 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 18:45

When I saw him so sad on the podium, I thought I was going to cry. But that is it, maybe McLaren luck will not last forever...

Edited by gaston_foix, 13 June 2010 - 19:13.

#376 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 18:48

When I saw him so sad on the podium, I thought I was going to cry. But that is it, maybe McLaren lack will not last forever...

if you mean, good luck, I don't think they had good luck. They do have a good car (which probably will get even better) and 2 good drivers. Luck plays a part, but not that much.

#377 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 18:58

if you mean, good luck, I don't think they had good luck. They do have a good car (which probably will get even better) and 2 good drivers. Luck plays a part, but not that much.

Maybe He meant the pity of Alonso behind the benchmarkers As luck for McLaren

Edited by YellowHelmet, 13 June 2010 - 18:59.

#378 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:03

Alonso is back!!! :smoking:

#379 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:04

Maybe He meant the pity of Alonso behind the benchmarkers As luck for McLaren

I'm one of those who thinks in most cases you make your own luck.
In Alonso's case, he should have been more careful with those benchmarkers while defending the position.
Anyway, he learn today and I'm sure next time it won't happen again.

Advertisement

#380 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:14

In Alonso's case, he should have been more careful with those benchmarkers while defending the position.

He was most unlucky not when He was defending his Position against lewis ans Button but when Lewis went into pits and Alonso dro e the fastest lap and on the Next lap He was Held up by à benchmarker, where He Lost over 1 Second! And so a Position against lewis!

#381 Campeador

Campeador

• 296 posts

McLaren is doing a very good job with the car. They were so much quicker on the straights that Alonso's only chance to win was to keep them behind. He had no chance to pass them on track I'm afraid. But Alonso was very unlucky with a backmarker in the 2nd pit-stop. Hamilton pitted first and Alonso purpled all three sectors to get stuck behind a backmarker the next lap.

I don't know whether the second problem with the backmarker when Button passed him was avoidable but it was again very unlucky and a clever move from Button.

#382 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Let's not forget Turkey also, where RedBulls hang them the victory...

#383 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:16

McLaren is doing a very good job with the car. They were so much quicker on the straights that Alonso's only chance to win was to keep them behind. He had no chance to pass them on track I'm afraid. But Alonso was very unlucky with a backmarker in the 2nd pit-stop. Hamilton pitted first and Alonso purpled all three sectors to get stuck behind a backmarker the next lap.

I don't know whether the second problem with the backmarker when Button passed him was avoidable but it was again very unlucky and a clever move from Button.

So? Lewis would have passed Alonso again :lol:

And the gap between Lewis and Alonso was too big to just blame on traffic, because else it would have been much closer if he supposedly was faster than Lewis on his new tyres.

Edited by Simon Says, 13 June 2010 - 19:17.

#384 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:18

Let's not forget Turkey also, where RedBulls hang them the victory...

same goes for Bahrain, right?

There no point in debating over this because there are examples that go both way.

Edited by rko281, 13 June 2010 - 19:18.

#385 MaxScelerate

MaxScelerate

• 4,288 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:18

More like a small mistake by Alonso. That he chose to 'go around' that last backmarker instead of straiht 'pass' him.. A hard left was alright, after all he had to dodge around, but then he went back hard to the right, losing all momentum AND opening the doors wide for Button to slip through, I go ???????

Edited by MaxScelerate, 13 June 2010 - 19:19.

#386 Simon Says

Simon Says

• 2,163 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:19

Great Race by fernando! What a shame with the benchmarkers! They costed him the victory! But as Alonso said: "we are back in fight" :up:

I think Ferrari were also in the fight in Turkey, but Alonso simply screwed up. If Kobayashi in a extremyl slow Sauber outqualifies you, then you did something wrong.

This race only confirms it. Massa was still around position 8 like last race in Turkey so the car really didn't change much.

The Ferrari is still a great car that is in the race for the championship.

#387 Kevin Taylor

Kevin Taylor

• 215 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:22

Why do people want to prove that Alonso is a silly pilot? why do you all hate him?
Yes, all issues Ferrari have can be ordered to alonso. If you feel better then say Alonso is not a good pilot. But he remains to be the best of the whole field.
Anyway he is a human, too. He also can make mistakes.

#388 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:23

Alonso drove a great race today --- the big question his why has Massa still got a job ?

#389 velgajski1

velgajski1

• 3,619 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:24

Congrats to Alonso - he drove a great race today!

#390 Tstag

Tstag

• 321 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:29

For anyone who thought Alonso was better than Hamilton, then all I need say is he's taking an excruciatingly long time to prove this. This is not an anti-Alonso point, but when was the last time that Alonso actually overtook Hamilton? Sure the Ferrari is slower than the Maclaren at moment and on certain tracks, but today there wasn't that much in it.

#391 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:31

Congrats to Alonso - he drove a great race today!

He did... I think I'm so upset because I can't criticize him for this one...

And BTW kudos to McLarens. They were great both...

#392 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:32

For anyone who thought Alonso was better than Hamilton, then all I need say is he's taking an excruciatingly long time to prove this. This is not an anti-Alonso point, but when was the last time that Alonso actually overtook Hamilton? Sure the Ferrari is slower than the Maclaren at moment and on certain tracks, but today there wasn't that much in it.

Before Hamilton went to pits Alonso already was past him! To answer your question in Canada 10 ( and that as you stated in a slower Ferrari!)

Edited by YellowHelmet, 13 June 2010 - 19:34.

#393 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:36

same goes for Bahrain, right?

There no point in debating over this because there are examples that go both way.

I'm just amazed by McLarens really taking all opportunities with both hands. They have the best year so far, not making mistakes and doing better and better, always there to capitalize.... Well done to them :up:

#394 Campeador

Campeador

• 296 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 19:39

It was amazing seeing how Alonso purpled all three sectors when Hamilton pitted. Alonso was just behind Hamilton when the latter entered the pit-lane but in the next lap Alonso lost a lot of time behind the backmarkers. Alonso should have pitted straight away, that second lap served the win for Hamilton on a silver platter.

Anyway, good job Ferrari even if it wasn't a great result.

#395 baddog

baddog

• 23,427 posts

Alonso really is wringing the neck of that Ferrari. I am hugely impressed.

#396 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

I think Alonso IS better than Hamilton, and he will prove it at the end :)

#397 Pampalini

Pampalini

• 335 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 20:01

I predict great races and wins for Alonso now- he is coming back from an unlucky period. Today it was podium, the next one will be better! (I have a feeling he'll win).

Still that look on his face today was like it was in 2007: What the f...k, I did nothing wrong, I drove superbly still this Lewis kid is in the front... :|

#398 Lights

Lights

• 9,414 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 20:31

He impressed me this weekend. Don't know if that's partially because since a long time, he did not ruin his weekend at some point, but nevertheless, he (like baddog said) was really wringing the neck of that Ferrari in the race. I don't believe the Ferrari is on the pace of the McLaren at this point of the season, certainly not after what we've seen in Istanbul, yet he managed to stay very close with Hamilton and the McLarens in general. On the other hand, he made some mistakes with backmarkers that a 2 times WDC shouldn't have made, like for instance let Hamilton have the slipstream of a backmarker when Hamilton tried to overtake Alonso, and when Button passed him at the end of the race.

#399 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,396 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 22:02

Very good race from Fernando, a pity the backmarkers robbed him of a chance at the victory.
Seems Fernando is back on bussiness after a bad weekend in Turkey. If the Valencia updates on the Ferrari are good, we´ll have a classic Hamilton-Alonso for the WDC!!!

Advertisement

#400 Tstag

Tstag

• 321 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 22:35

I think Alonso IS better than Hamilton, and he will prove it at the end :)

But why is he better? How has he shown he is better? Alonso did not deal with the back markers effectively enough today. Hamilton's move on Alonso today was brilliant, but he only got past Alonso at that moment in time because Alonso didn't deal with the car he was trying to overtake.