Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#4151 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 15:21

Berger, Piquet, say Ferrari right to favour Alonso

Two former F1 drivers have defended Ferrari's right to favour Fernando Alonso for the 2010 world championship.

The Italian team faced the wrath of spectators and the media recently after moving Felipe Massa out of the way for Spaniard Alonso at Hockenheim.

Ferrari will again be defending its actions at a World Motor Sport Council disciplinary hearing next month.

But Nelson Piquet Jr believes it is up to his Brazilian countryman Massa to prove that he is the driver Ferrari should be backing.

"It's hard for Massa that Alonso came into the team later but is faster," Piquet, who was Alonso's Renault teammate in 2008 and early 2009, told the Brazilian newsmagazine Istoe.

"But Ferrari will not miss an opportunity to give a driver the opportunity to close the gap to the championship leaders," added the 'crashgate' conspirator.

"If Massa doesn't want this to happen, then he has to work out a way to go faster than Alonso -- there's nothing else he can do.

"Because if he'd been ahead of Alonso in the championship, it would have been him going past," said Piquet.

Former 10-time GP winner and Ferrari driver Gerhard Berger agrees with Piquet that Alonso is the driver Ferrari should be concentrating on for the rest of 2010.

"Let's not kid ourselves," the Austrian is quoted by Auto Motor und Sport.

"Alonso is clearly the better man in the team; their only chance for the world championship.

"(Ferrari president Luca di) Montezemolo went shopping for him and he is going to play this card as hard as he can," added Berger.

Advertisement

#4152 Flamini

Flamini

• 837 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 13:15

So Rossi is oficially in Ducati? 4 years ago Alonso said that Rossi has no chance in F1. Rossi replied that he wanted challenge: add times for F1, WRC and Moto GP to determine who is faster. Alonso said that he doesn't have time for that.

Now, 4 years later, Rossi is in Ducati what means that they both will be on VROOM in winter and they both probably will be racing each other in some races on ice. I wonder if they still remember this discussion from 4 years ago. Vale probably doesn't care, but Fernando? Who knows.

Edited by Flamini, 19 August 2010 - 13:15.

#4153 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 15:00

So Rossi is oficially in Ducati? 4 years ago Alonso said that Rossi has no chance in F1. Rossi replied that he wanted challenge: add times for F1, WRC and Moto GP to determine who is faster. Alonso said that he doesn't have time for that.

Now, 4 years later, Rossi is in Ducati what means that they both will be on VROOM in winter and they both probably will be racing each other in some races on ice. I wonder if they still remember this discussion from 4 years ago. Vale probably doesn't care, but Fernando? Who knows.

July 12th:

Now that you are in Maranello, would you be willing to take Rossi's challenge (F1+MotoGP+WRC)?

(He laughs) Well he has tested on a F1 car much more than I have on MotoGP bike. He tests every so often and he enjoys and makes the most of it, I don't think I could be able to do those test on two wheels. If I'd have to do it, I'd do it, why not? Now that I'm in Ferrari it's a lot easier, a bit of a show, nothing serious I guess. The bike thing, well I see it a bit complicated, maybe I turn it on, I turn it off and that's it (He laughs out loud) It's impossible to drive a bike like they do.

What about the rally car?

I've never tried a rally car but I'd test a little before doing it I guess

#4154 DontPanic

DontPanic

• 150 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 22:44

July 12th:

Now that you are in Maranello, would you be willing to take Rossi's challenge (F1+MotoGP+WRC)?

(He laughs) Well he has tested on a F1 car much more than I have on MotoGP bike. He tests every so often and he enjoys and makes the most of it, I don't think I could be able to do those test on two wheels. If I'd have to do it, I'd do it, why not? Now that I'm in Ferrari it's a lot easier, a bit of a show, nothing serious I guess. The bike thing, well I see it a bit complicated, maybe I turn it on, I turn it off and that's it (He laughs out loud) It's impossible to drive a bike like they do.

What about the rally car?

I've never tried a rally car but I'd test a little before doing it I guess

Obviously, Fernando would kick the shit out of Rossi in an F1 car, just as Rossi would kick the shit out of Fernando on a bike. In a rally car, whilst Rossi has much more experience, I would bet on Fernando to win. Driving an F1 car on 4 wheels is more like driving a Rally car on 4 wheels than driving half a car dressed in Max Mosley gear.

#4155 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 08:49

Berny Ecclestone: "Fernando has a different character. He will not achieve at Ferrari what Michael did."

http://www.formula1....10/8/11154.html

#4156 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,406 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:07

I don think anyone is expecting Alonso to win 5 titles with Ferrari. But he's stablished himself as the team leader in a very short time, no doubt.

#4157 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 576 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 11:32

I don think anyone is expecting Alonso to win 5 titles with Ferrari. But he's stablished himself as the team leader in a very short time, no doubt.

I think Santander and the red carpet that Domenicali deployed for his arrival helped...

#4158 absentia

absentia

• 37 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:14

http://www.formula1....10/6/10934.html

Q: Bernie, Fernando, what makes you so sure that the Ferrari-Alonso combination will bring the same success as Ferrari-Schumacher?

Bernie Ecclestone: Still there is a big difference between Michael and Fernando. When Michael was with Ferrari he barely had any rivals. The usual procedure in these years was that Michael got pole and won the race. But take a look at Fernando’s opponents today: both Red Bull pilots, both McLaren pilots and Fernando can get pole position and win the race. The competition is far bigger, so you cannot really compare the two situations.

#4159 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,772 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 12:53

"(Ferrari president Luca di) Montezemolo went shopping for him and he is going to play this card as hard as he can," added Berger. [/i]

Well I will give Berger credit for realizing that. 99% of the posters on BB's claim it was all Santandars idea that Alonso be at Ferrari and Luca had to just go along with them.

Advertisement

#4160 Mackey

Mackey

• 1,406 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 13:37

I think Santander and the red carpet that Domenicali deployed for his arrival helped...

Still, he's proving way faster than his teammate, and thatś the most important thing. Ferrari had similar plans with Raikkonnen, but look how it ended because he couldn prove to be faster than Massa.

#4161 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 13:40

I think you are a great guy but you could work on your reading comprehension.

If you make such claims with so much confidence then you are supposed to present some evidence to support your claim. I have never seen you do so but I still have some patience left for you perhaps somewhat surprisingly.

So, now you go ahead and prove that "99% of the posters on BB's claim it was all Santandars idea that Alonso be at Ferrari and Luca had to just go along with them." I think you can't prove it as I think it is your misunderstanding of what people have been saying, including myself. I have previously tried to talk to you many times and you have always refused to have a discussion even though you kept replying to my posts. We both know this is true so let's not pretend it isn't.

First, let me point out to you that Luca Cordero di Montezemolo has actually said that Stefano Domenicali talked to him about hiring Fernando Alonso. This must mean bringing Fernando into the team was primarily what Domenicali wanted. It may be Montezemolo's political strategy to make sure he can blame Domenicali if things go wrong at Ferrari with Alonso, but any ways, he has done it, he has publicly laid the responsibility on Domenicali for wanting Alonso into the team.

Then, let me tell you that it is certainly a very fair point to make that Fernando Alonso would not have arrived at Ferrari one year early and pushing Kimi Räikkönen out of the team without the money from Santander! If you cannot grasp this very simple thing then I don't think we can have a reasonable discussion with you. The move to drop Kimi and bring Fernando in must make financial sense to Ferrari, and financial sense to Ferrari it will only make if someone else pays for it. Is this really that hard to comprehend? Ferrari needed Santander to pay for it, otherwise it would not have happened that Fernando would be driving that Ferrari this year already.

Signing Fernando for Ferrari for 2011 and onwards was certainly Ferrari's idea, but to sign him for 2010 was facilitated by the money from Santander. I think reasonable people should be able to agree on this and I recommend you do so too as I think you are not that unreasonable.

#4162 absentia

absentia

• 37 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 15:10

So what? Ferrari want Alonso, 2010 or 2011 onwards.
Sponsors offered on table a feasible option of 2010 for Ferrai, and they themselves decided, "that's it then, let's go for it."

And this is what LdM exactly said:

"When we talked about drivers after 2010 and Domenicali said Alonso, I said I 100% agree. Alonso is young, a good driver, good for the team dialogue and in the right career moment to want to win again."

Someone's reading too much into the details here. I can see nothing but a normal joint management decision there. Ferrari's team principle surely could pose a significant influence on the ultimate decision about the driver choice, as the case last time aroud with Todt and his high-profile negativity towards Alonso later proved. But still it's a management decision. When LdM said he stood by his team priciple's choice, he bears the responsibility of this particular decision with his team priciple.

And Berger's quote only emphasies that Ferrari DID really want Alonso out of their own will in the first place, [so that they even bothered to go through all those troubleness in stead of seeing KR stay put(with his 3-year Ferrari experience advantage)], which seems to give Fernando some negociation power with the team to make his ask heard.

And are we done with KR discussion on and on and on in this thread?...

#4163 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,772 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 17:26

So what? Ferrari want Alonso, 2010 or 2011 onwards.
Sponsors offered on table a feasible option of 2010 for Ferrai, and they themselves decided, "that's it then, let's go for it."

And this is what LdM exactly said:

"When we talked about drivers after 2010 and Domenicali said Alonso, I said I 100% agree. Alonso is young, a good driver, good for the team dialogue and in the right career moment to want to win again."

Someone's reading too much into the details here. I can see nothing but a normal joint management decision there. Ferrari's team principle surely could pose a significant influence on the ultimate decision about the driver choice, as the case last time aroud with Todt and his high-profile negativity towards Alonso later proved. But still it's a management decision. When LdM said he stood by his team priciple's choice, he bears the responsibility of this particular decision with his team priciple.

And Berger's quote only emphasies that Ferrari DID really want Alonso out of their own will in the first place, [so that they even bothered to go through all those troubleness in stead of seeing KR stay put(with his 3-year Ferrari experience advantage)], which seems to give Fernando some negociation power with the team to make his ask heard.

And are we done with KR discussion on and on and on in this thread?...

That is exactly right. Ferrari used Santandar to get what they wanted. Ferrari wanted Alonso. Santandar was just the means to arrive at their destination.

To that other poster. I never mentioned Kimi Raikkonen anywhere in my post. You say that you want answers from me then you say I am not worthy of an opinion. Please stick to the thread topic "Fernando Alonso" and if you don't like me or my opinions I think you may be happier to put me on your "ignore" list.

Edit: I have added you to my ignore list so any further stalking is futile.

Edited by Watkins74, 25 August 2010 - 18:01.

#4164 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 17:58

Tell me how you arrived at the conclusion that "99% of the posters on BB's claim it was all Santandars idea that Alonso be at Ferrari and Luca had to just go along with them." I have not seen that happen.

If that's what you really believe then I think you are misunderstanding what people are saying about it. And it is offensive that you go about these discussions by proverbially putting words in other peoples' mouths.

Can you address the point I made about Santander making it possible for Alonso to come to Ferrari one year early? Could you address that point, please? I claim that without Santander that would not have happened. Your replies to that are discussing something else which I find unfortunate as I think we could have better discussions if you would actually address the points made by other people in the discussions.

#4165 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 18:47

Q: Bernie, Fernando, what makes you so sure that the Ferrari-Alonso combination will bring the same success as Ferrari-Schumacher?
Fernando Alonso: I don’t know. I just hope it will. I have the impression that the people enjoy this very combination worldwide. Especially in Spain and Italy the vibe is very enthusiastic and this makes me very proud. The rumours that we would join forces had already been there for years anyway.
Bernie Ecclestone: Still there is a big difference between Michael and Fernando. When Michael was with Ferrari he barely had any rivals. The usual procedure in these years was that Michael got pole and won the race. But take a look at Fernando’s opponents today: both Red Bull pilots, both McLaren pilots and Fernando can get pole position and win the race. The competition is far bigger, so you cannot really compare the two situations.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: Last question. Is Fernando Alonso your spiritual successor at Ferrari? Some feel he is the Ferrari team principal in disguise…
MS: I cannot answer that. I have no contact with Alonso.
BE: Fernando has a different character. He will not achieve at Ferrari what Michael did.

De facto proof that nobody really knows anything.

#4166 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,294 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 18:50

This was always going to happen.

FA has 23 wins or there abouts... he has already established himslelf as one of the greats of F1.

There is little point quibbling over whether Ferrari made the right call as they clearly did. The fact that KR has left F1 completely shows that Ferrari were right to question his commitment.

#4167 AlainProstX

AlainProstX

• 307 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 19:18

That is exactly right. Ferrari used Santandar to get what they wanted. Ferrari wanted Alonso. Santandar was just the means to arrive at their destination.

That`s what some people -especially some KR fans- don`t understand.

Ferrari isn`t a team that fires a driver -who won a WDC for the team- just to get another driver because the sponsor tells so.

LdM is far to arrogant to do such things. Something like that wouldn`t fit into the Ferrari mentality. Atfirst, there is the car, then comes the driver.

#4168 as65p

as65p

• 17,568 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 22:14

Can you address the point I made about Santander making it possible for Alonso to come to Ferrari one year early? Could you address that point, please? I claim that without Santander that would not have happened.

I'd top that and claim that without Räikönnen being put into the shade by Massa in 2008 it wouldn't have happened. :)

Ferrari know precisley what they've got in Felipe baby. They've seen him stack up against MS and then against Kimi. An then they decided instead of paying ridicolous money to someone who barely matches Massa, why not try another guy that costs less, brings a good deal of sponsorship and might actually perform distinctively better than Felipe. And so far, that's precisley what happens.

But the main point is, had Räikönnen gone on and outperform Massa in 2008 and 2009 the same way Alonso does this year, he would still sit in that Ferrari. But for whatever reason he couldn't achieve that. That's the root of it all, the Santander cash was just a nice bonus.

#4169 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,491 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 23:32

Berny Ecclestone: "Fernando has a different character. He will not achieve at Ferrari what Michael did."

That will be a great relief to the Williams drivers - they will feel much safer!

I'd top that and claim that without Räikönnen being put into the shade by Massa in 2008 it wouldn't have happened. :)

Ferrari know precisley what they've got in Felipe baby. They've seen him stack up against MS and then against Kimi. An then they decided instead of paying ridicolous money to someone who barely matches Massa, why not try another guy that costs less, brings a good deal of sponsorship and might actually perform distinctively better than Felipe. And so far, that's precisley what happens.

But the main point is, had Räikönnen gone on and outperform Massa in 2008 and 2009 the same way Alonso does this year, he would still sit in that Ferrari. But for whatever reason he couldn't achieve that. That's the root of it all, the Santander cash was just a nice bonus.

I'm not sure that one can say that Massa is a known quantity anymore. I'd like to think that Ferrari have kept him out of loyalty as much as pragmatism, because they must surely have wondered whether he is the same driver that he was before Hungary '09.
I think your main point is probably correct. The Alonso to Ferrari situation was, like many issues debated on this forum, one where a number of factors all pulled in the same direction. I doubt if anyone on this board is in a position to say authoritatively what the relative weights of those factors were. Suffice to say that signing Alonso suited Ferrari and Santander (and, I would guess, most of Alonso's fans. Although I suspect Ferrari only care about them when they are buying merchandise and/or petitioning the FIA. I'm such a cynic at times!)

#4170 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 00:13

I'm not sure that one can say that Massa is a known quantity anymore. I'd like to think that Ferrari have kept him out of loyalty as much as pragmatism, because they must surely have wondered whether he is the same driver that he was before Hungary '09.

Perhaps, but I think his performance in Germany has left little doubt that he is on the right track. And he finished ahead of Alonso in Australia, Malaysia, Monaco and Turkey. So he's really not doing too bad, all things considered.

Edited by zeph, 26 August 2010 - 00:15.

#4171 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,119 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:57

http://www.formula1....10/6/10934.html

So, which way is it then, Bernie. Yah, I got it. He will not achieve the same success as Schumacher because he has a different character, no wait, because he has other opponents and a bigger competition.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bernie again winding everyone up...

#4172 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,119 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:00

This was always going to happen.

FA has 23 wins or there abouts... he has already established himslelf as one of the greats of F1.

He will be there with Schumacher, Senna and Prost within two or three years, I suppose.

#4173 as65p

as65p

• 17,568 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 04:44

That will be a great relief to the Williams drivers - they will feel much safer!

No doubt they wondered that, like everyone did. But unlike everyone, Ferrari have so much data about Massa's driving that by now they must have a solid idea about his post-accident form, and personally I think there aren't any directly related issues left, because if there were they would manifest clearly, not just being on average 1 to 5 tenths slower than Alonso.

I think your main point is probably correct. The Alonso to Ferrari situation was, like many issues debated on this forum, one where a number of factors all pulled in the same direction. I doubt if anyone on this board is in a position to say authoritatively what the relative weights of those factors were. Suffice to say that signing Alonso suited Ferrari and Santander (and, I would guess, most of Alonso's fans. Although I suspect Ferrari only care about them when they are buying merchandise and/or petitioning the FIA. I'm such a cynic at times!)

You bet! Even if it means Ferrari never cares about me, cause I do neither...  ;)

#4174 jjcale

jjcale

• 7,294 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:30

Perhaps, but I think his performance in Germany has left little doubt that he is on the right track. And he finished ahead of Alonso in Australia, Malaysia, Monaco and Turkey. So he's really not doing too bad, all things considered.

Aus - FA's error and FM should have been told "Fernando is faster than you..."
Mal - FA faster again
Monaco - FA's error
Turkey - I cant remember off the top of my head.

Germany - FM got the jump at the start.

FM's been owned to such an extent that its puzzling. If FA was so fast, he should not have had a problem with LH (even taking political issues into account) or LH is also so fast that he should not have JB so close to him as he is this year. We can assume that there is not much between FA, LH and JB... so what's up with FM this year... he seemed OK when he was up against KR, who was allegedly the fastest man in F1, so I am guessing either the accident or serious problems adapting to this year's car and the latter is just odd for a driver of his experience.

All this makes it hard to assess FA's performance this year is ....it great or just very good?

#4175 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 07:47

So, which way is it then, Bernie. Yah, I got it. He will not achieve the same success as Schumacher because he has a different character, no wait, because he has other opponents and a bigger competition.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bernie again winding everyone up...

They are different questions with different answers.

First one is about taking the role as teammanager and leading the team -> Alonso won't achieve that because he has a different character
Second one is about winning -> Alonso won't achieve that because the opposition is stronger

Edited by F.M., 26 August 2010 - 07:48.

#4176 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:10

Mal - FA faster again
Monaco - FA's error
Turkey - I cant remember off the top of my head.

Germany - FM got the jump at the start.

FM's been owned to such an extent that its puzzling. If FA was so fast, he should not have had a problem with LH (even taking political issues into account) or LH is also so fast that he should not have JB so close to him as he is this year. We can assume that there is not much between FA, LH and JB... so what's up with FM this year... he seemed OK when he was up against KR, who was allegedly the fastest man in F1, so I am guessing either the accident or serious problems adapting to this year's car and the latter is just odd for a driver of his experience.

All this makes it hard to assess FA's performance this year is ....it great or just very good?

Hamilton was a class above Button this year. Button is just lucky he is where he is. In term of speed Hammy had the edge more as we've seen in Hungary and Moncao or less as we've seen elsewhere...

#4177 keeppushingurep1

keeppushingurep1

• 192 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:13

maybe his pace helped too, what do you think?

#4178 Ramses1348

Ramses1348

• 576 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 12:47

maybe his pace helped too, what do you think?

I don't know, we are talking about him establishing himslef as team leader here... In my opinion a driver's job is to drive fast, a team boss's job is to lead the team. I don't see why the former being extremely fast should mean he needs to take the job of the latter... And I am NOT saying alonso's speed has not been impressive this year, I just find this irrelevant. In fact I have always thought that the talk about "driver leading team" was pure BS, I still do today.

#4179 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 15:25

:drunk:
explain us, what did alonso wrong at australia?
i think you will try to explain he hasnt had a good start! so what
the problem about australia was that he was hitted by the race winner and nothing else, so the result in australia was not alonsos error!

Advertisement

#4180 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 15:29

In fact I have always thought that the talk about "driver leading team" was pure BS, I still do today.

it is!
it is a medial soap bubble construed in german medias, to explain ms-strength (because ms hadnt any real rival, and his material was much better than the one his opponents had, they had to construe sth that distinguish ms from others, so they came up with that :drunk: )

#4181 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,843 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 15:29

so what

Well.

He made the smallest of errors, which gave him a bad start which resulted in him being in a position which he might not otherwise have been in. It might not have been a big error, but in the chaos of an average F1 start, it has large consequences.

#4182 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 15:30

Well.

He made the smallest of errors, which gave him a bad start which resulted in him being in a position which he might not otherwise have been in. It might not have been a big error, but in the chaos of an average F1 start, it has large consequences.

not to forget, starts are nowadays still down to electronics! so how can you be sure, that it was alonsos error?
and please stop looking for excuses for buttons inattention, that ironically allowed him to win!

Edited by YellowHelmet, 26 August 2010 - 15:31.

#4183 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,843 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 15:54

All starts for all cars have the same level of electronics help, but most of that doesn't kick in until the cars are at speed. There is no launch control.

I'm not looking to make excuses for Button, he made a silly error, but one which did not prevent him winning the race. Alonso's error did. I hope you see the difference, but I'm not holding my breath.

#4184 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 15:56

not to forget, starts are nowadays still down to electronics! so how can you be sure, that it was alonsos error?

He lined up on the white line which, because it was wet, produced more wheelspin than the tarmac would have.

Alonso: "I got an awful start because I had wheel spin on a white line".

#4185 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 16:12

This I don't agree with, some of you are underestimating the power of Santander. Even if Kimi had won the 2008 title (09 was never going to happen) he would still have been kicked out this year.

Ferrari wanted the masses of money from Santander, and the only condition that they had to have Alonso instead of Raikkonen was not a bad deal overall. It was already publicly known that Ferrari weren't "in love" with Kimi anyway.

Otherwise there is absolutely no way they would have paid Raikkonen so much to effectively do nothing, makes no business sense whatsoever - they would have just let him see out his contract and bring Alonso on in 2011.

Edited by lexmeister2, 26 August 2010 - 16:13.

#4186 Remo

Remo

• 15 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 01:41

“I have a 50 per cent change of winning the world championship,” explained Alonso. “50 per cent I can win/50 per cent I cannot win. We are all the same.”http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/86124

Good to see that he remains positive throughout the season. Maybe someone should explain to him how these numbers really work though.

Edited by Remo, 27 August 2010 - 01:41.

#4187 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:14

He lined up on the white line which, because it was wet, produced more wheelspin than the tarmac would have.

Alonso: "I got an awful start because I had wheel spin on a white line".

still the result in australia was not alonsos fault or his error as some have posted, it was the inattention of the race winner button!

#4188 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:15

“I have a 50 per cent change of winning the world championship,” explained Alonso. “50 per cent I can win/50 per cent I cannot win. We are all the same.”http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/86124

Good to see that he remains positive throughout the season. Maybe someone should explain to him how these numbers really work though.

he is not just positive with those sentences, he is motivating at once also the team --> he is the whole package, the best there is now!

#4189 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,843 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:16

still the result in australia was not alonsos fault or his error as some have posted, it was the inattention of the race winner button!

If he had got a better start, do you agree that Alonso would have been through the corner before Button?

Please, can you drop the exclamation marks!!!! There's no need to shout.

#4190 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:22

If he had got a better start, do you agree that Alonso would have been through the corner before Button?

so if he was hitted by another than it would have been better?
or do you want to say that alonso made himself being hitted :drunk:

stop with that unnecessary bashing :down:

#4191 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,843 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:24

so if he was hitted by another than it would have been better?
or do you want to say that alonso made himself being hitted :drunk:

stop with that unnecessary bashing :down:

Do you agree that if he had got a better start he would have been around the corner and nowhere near Button? Yes or no?

#4192 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:28

Do you agree that if he had got a better start he would have been around the corner and nowhere near Button? Yes or no?

far to speculative!
you never know what happens at the first braking point!
so a driver who had a good start can be forced off track and loosing positions, or a driver can lose positions although he had a good start, because the drivers ahead messed up (see button in germany!) or a driver can be hitted, although he had or not a good start!

buttom line is, it was not alonsos error that made him finish at the position he finished at in australia!
rather it was his superb driving that allowed to finish at the position he finished, although he was almost last after 1 lap!
the thing to remember in australia 2010 is alonsos driving skills and his superb defendings skills!

Edited by YellowHelmet, 27 August 2010 - 09:32.

#4193 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,843 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:33

far to speculative!
so a driver who had a good start can be forced off track and loosing positions, or a driver can lose positions although he had a good start, because the drivers ahead messed up (see button in germany!) or a driver can be hitted, although he had or not a good start!

buttom line is, it was not alonsos error that made him finish at the position he finished at!

No amount of deflecting this can help. Yes or no. If Alonso had not slipped on the white line, is it likely he would have been in the same position at that first corner, i.e. squeezed?

Once again, I am not excusing Button who made a SILLY error. I am asking you whether you can admit that Alonso made a silly error.

So, yes or no?

#4194 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:34

Alonso first at first practise!
maybe it doesnt say a lot, but it looks that alonso will have a chance to fight for victory this weekend!

#4195 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:36

No amount of deflecting this can help. Yes or no. If Alonso had not slipped on the white line, is it likely he would have been in the same position at that first corner, i.e. squeezed?

Once again, I am not excusing Button who made a SILLY error. I am asking you whether you can admit that Alonso made a silly error.

So, yes or no?

as i said, it was a very very small error that should not be mentioned, coz it was not decisive!
the thing to remember about australia 2010 is alonsos superb driving!

#4196 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,371 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:38

far to speculative!

buttom line is, it was not alonsos error that made him finish at the position he finished at in australia!
rather it was his superb driving that allowed to finish at the position he finished, although he was almost last after 1 lap!
the thing to remember in australia 2010 is alonsos driving skills and his superb defendings skills!

Yellow Helmet, Alonso's bad start is the reason for what followed and as such is the reason for where he finished. He drove well and showed good speed. Had he not made the mistake of having his tire on the white line he probably would have won the race based on the speed he showed.

#4197 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,843 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:42

as i said, it was a very very small error that should not be mentioned, coz it was not decisive!
the thing to remember about australia 2010 is alonsos superb driving!

1. I would agree Alonso drove superbly, because he generally always does.
2. The 'very very small error' was actually a very very important one because it put him in the difficult position at the start. I cannot agree that it was not decisive because everything that followed flowed from that moment. As Ferrari2183 says, without it he had the speed to win the race.

One last time will you please stop adding exclamation marks. It is the equivalent of shouting, and there is no need.

#4198 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

• 4,491 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:31

For stressed, frustrated internet forum moderators everywhere, but especially for you, Buttoneer:

Posted Image

#4199 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,843 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:35

No need for a wall!

Posted Image !!

Advertisement

#4200 YellowHelmet

YellowHelmet

• 3,800 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:41

Yellow Helmet, Alonso's bad start is the reason for what followed and as such is the reason for where he finished. He drove well and showed good speed. Had he not made the mistake of having his tire on the white line he probably would have won the race based on the speed he showed.

in science such conclusions are called post hoc, ergo propter hoc!

there is no prove for that, that is just speculation!