Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#4301 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,194 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 16:54

His brakes WERE working, mclaren took the decision to end it or he would lost it...

I was struggling to stop the car. The right rear brake wasn't working and it was too dangerous to continue.

Righto.

Advertisement

#4302 DaddyCool

DaddyCool

• 289 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 16:54

I still can't figure out why do you have to take risky setup gamblings after dominating 2 FPs and being the person who desperately needs to make out the most of the remaining 7 races. I may sound harsh, but I don't buy this BS about wet setup. The best would've been for Alonso to qualify up in front and capitalize on any mistakes others have made (and as we've seen there were plenty).

You know, the chance of being hit by a midfielder is marginally less if you start from the firts rows...

#4303 RockyRaccoon68

RockyRaccoon68

• 1,353 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 17:00

Disappointing weekend from Alonso after a good start on Friday. I would like to know how much damage he had after the incident with Rubens before I blast him for the crash, the car was bound to be a mess after that? It's worth pointing out that the leaders missed the chicane too so even if he wasn't stuck in the midfield he may have been hit. I would have liked to see what would have happened when he went onto inters at the start if the SC hadn't came out, I actually think it was a good decision. He had to pit after the accident with Rubens and it was worth the gamble. I'm not giving up on the championship yet, but he will need to seriously raise his game. This season has been very frustrating to say the least!

#4304 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 17:20

So many cockup´s. You expect that from Yuji Ide but not by a 2XWDC

#4305 domenico

domenico

• 46 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 17:36

I wonder how Alonso win two WDC? This year he is a shadow of driver he just to be. To many mistakes, to many helps from other, to many complains. For me, he will be never recover from 2007. Hamilton killed him psychologically. He cracked under preasure. Ferrari must broke contract with him and employing new driver.

#4306 Mclaren4ever

Mclaren4ever

• 341 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 17:40

I wonder how Alonso win two WDC? This year he is a shadow of driver he just to be. To many mistakes, to many helps from other, to many complains. For me, he will be never recover from 2007. Hamilton killed him psychologically. He cracked under preasure. Ferrari must broke contract with him and employing new driver.

True. Lewis came in his head and he´s still there :smoking:

#4307 Remo

Remo

• 15 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 18:34

No, I meant a 40% overrall chance. I subscribe to Alonso's new school of math 'thinking'.

I’m sorry to say that you’ve got the wrong solution. Let’s see what the great mathematician himself has to say about this particular problem:
“There are the same five drivers that can win and our chance is still 50/50, just as it was before the race.”

http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/86265

#4308 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,148 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 18:44

Michelin tyres has alot to do with why he won one of his championships

#4309 Madras

Madras

• 3,911 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 18:51

Poor race from Alonso, but I think he made a poor decision to come in for inters early on, and that ruined his race.

#4310 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 18:57

I’m sorry to say that you’ve got the wrong solution. Let’s see what the great mathematician himself has to say about this particular problem:
“There are the same five drivers that can win and our chance is still 50/50, just as it was before the race.”

He, He. When you think the joke played itself to death the clown comes to rescue it.

Edited by cardin, 29 August 2010 - 18:57.

#4311 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 18:58

Poor race from Alonso, but I think he made a poor decision to come in for inters early on, and that ruined his race.

he only lost 2 places due to that thanks to the safety car.

#4312 Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

Ferrari_F1_fan_2001

• 2,797 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 18:58

Not really in my opinion. The safety car wiped out any disadvantage he incurred from the lost time.

Alonso for me is one of those drivers that when he is 'in the zone' is untouchable. When is isn't however, he is fairly weak psychologically and prone to errors.

Edited by Ferrari_F1_fan_2001, 29 August 2010 - 18:59.

#4313 mgs315

mgs315

• 325 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 19:00

Isn't the question " Do you think Santander would risk his life doing +300kph in a damaged car?" They wouldn't of course. Therefore the car was sound. :up:

There is a difference between structural damage and mere bodywork damage. If the car was structurally questionable or Alonso could feel something didn't seem quite right I'm sure he would've retired however if there was simply a little bit of sidepod, rear wing or floor damage which merely removed a few points of aero I'm sure he'd give it a fair stab still. Which he did. Could have still been affected. I don't doubt his pure speed even with a pretty lame weekend.

Either way, he IS making more mistakes than usual. I hold him to very high regard even as a Hamilton fan. It is pretty damn uncharacteristic.

#4314 arknor

arknor

• 2,298 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 20:02

im starting to wonder if that renault was alot better than people thought for the last few years... look at kubica he was never considered a really good driver by most.....

ill give fernando the benefit of the doubt until next year though when hes driving a car hes had more input in

#4315 robefc

robefc

• 7,952 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 22:24

I agree 110% that Kimi drove superbly at the end of 2009. However, you have to take into account that he had no pressure whatsoever. His teammate was out for the season and they had no chance at the WDC/WCC. He basically had carte blanche.

On the other hand, Alonso and Ferrari are in the hunt for BOTH titles and they don't possess - at the moment - any car "advantage", which puts a lot of pressure since every single race counts. Furthermore, the fact that his teammate is very average and does not seem to be helping much in taking points off the competitors adds to the pressure.

I am not a big fan on Alonso but I understand his situation.

I'm not sure having a teammate who moves over for you to win a race counts as 'added pressure'.

#4316 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,092 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 22:36

why is damage always the reason for alonso's poor races? always the excuse it seems.

#4317 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,148 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 22:46

I'm starting to wonder if that renault was alot better than people thought for the last few years... look at kubica he was never considered a really good driver by most.....

ill give fernando the benefit of the doubt until next year though when hes driving a car hes had more input in

The feeling i get with Alonso (could be totaly wrong but just how i see it) is that he wanted to take 3 to 5 titles relitvley quickly and i think he thought he was going to be able to do that with considerable ease after his 05 and 06 champinships. He dident bank on Hamilton coming into the sport to be so quick. He made a mistake by turning on his team instead of working with them. I am sure because of all this he is now pro longing his f1 career longer than that he had wanted and as a result his driving is suffering. Back in 06 he probbs wanted to be near retirement by now. Even at this young age as i remember him saying he was not going to stay in the sport very long back in 06.

#4318 mkay

mkay

• 2,506 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 22:58

I definitely believe Alonso is not over 2007. The way he handled his relationship with McLaren totally changed his career prospects. He should just accepted the fact that the rookie equalled him and try to work with the team and with Hamilton. In doing so, they could have been WCC in 2008 and Alonso a strong contender for the 2008 WDC, could have had probably a better 2009 car and Alonso could have been in a better shape for this year's WDC. Additionnally, his meltdown meant he gave up on the 2007 WDC which he could have easily won.

McLaren was his dream team and I bet that's where he wanted to end up in the long run. Giving up on McLaren means he wasted 3 years of his career... in his PRIME. Instead of being a potential 4x WDC and likely 4x WCC as well, he is a 2x WDC and another driver is, slowly but surely, stealing the spotlight away from him, or rather sharing it (depends how you see it).

#4319 Jan.W

Jan.W

• 169 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 23:03

:up:

Advertisement

#4320 FSLIV

FSLIV

• 561 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 23:26

The feeling i get with Alonso (could be totaly wrong but just how i see it) is that he wanted to take 3 to 5 titles relitvley quickly and i think he thought he was going to be able to do that with considerable ease after his 05 and 06 champinships. He dident bank on Hamilton coming into the sport to be so quick. He made a mistake by turning on his team instead of working with them. I am sure because of all this he is now pro longing his f1 career longer than that he had wanted and as a result his driving is suffering. Back in 06 he probbs wanted to be near retirement by now. Even at this young age as i remember him saying he was not going to stay in the sport very long back in 06.

I def agree. I think he thought he was gonna wiz through at least two more championships with Macca. I think he believed the hype and thought he was the best driver out there. Then LH came in and showed that he was just as good as FA. It can be argued that 2007 did serious damage to FA. Though I am not his biggest fan I do respect him and still think he is a top tier driver, but 2010 has shown some serious cracks in his abilities.

Edited by FSLIV, 29 August 2010 - 23:27.

#4321 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 23:58

Well you can't fault his consistency, not sure about the logic though.

#4322 FSLIV

FSLIV

• 561 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 00:04

If FA is feeling the pressure of being at Ferrari my heart goes out to him for MONZA BC the pressure there will be many times more than any other race this season.

#4323 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 4,939 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:58

Poor decision by Alonso/Ferrari to qualify on wet setup.
Unlucky to be hit by Rubens
Poor decision to move to inters

Well, they can forget about the drivers championship.

#4324 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,521 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:08

If FA is feeling the pressure of being at Ferrari my heart goes out to him for MONZA BC the pressure there will be many times more than any other race this season.

I wonder how the fans will treat him in Monza.

#4325 Biggles Flies Undone

Biggles Flies Undone

• 320 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 02:28

Let’s see what the great mathematician himself has to say about this particular problem:

Somebody at team red needs to sit Alonso down and give him a lesson in how odds are calculated :drunk:

#4326 Arion

Arion

• 2,345 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:25

I don't think it's as complicated as some of you think. Alonso's consistency hadn't been thoroughly tested during his Renault years. He had a car advantage, massive lead, no pressure from his teammate at all. And when you're challenging Schumacher in a Ferrari, you're the underdog, it takes the pressure off. Now, he's considered to be "the most complete" driver, driving for the best team, historically, the pressure is on.

#4327 JackTorrance

JackTorrance

• 2,065 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 04:50

He will be greeted as the star driver he is. Hes immensely popular and so far drives a good season, outpaces massa almost every session. He speaks Italian, is as passionate as any latino and a true fan of the Ferrari heritage.

#4328 F.M.

F.M.

• 5,577 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:11

He will be greeted as the star driver he is. Hes immensely popular and so far drives a good season, outpaces massa almost every session. He speaks Italian, is as passionate as any latino and a true fan of the Ferrari heritage.

?

#4329 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:25

I don't agree with the pressure excuse. C'mon ... if you are a Ferrari driver, you know there are certain things that are expected from you, no matter what your name is.

Alonso drives in F1 for so many years, had won 2WDC, I think he is familiar with the pressure of F1. When he arrived at Ferrari he knew what was expected from him.

Also, every driver in F1 feels pressure, of course those who are fighting for WDC have more of it. I think there is more pressure on Webber fighting Vettel or Button trying to be closer to Hamilton. At least, Alonso doesn't have the pressure of a team mate.

#4330 as65p

as65p

• 16,627 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:51

The speed is there, the rest... fluctuates.

We're talking tiny margins here, perfectly illustrated yesterday when Hamilton after a great drive came within millimetres of throwing it all away in most embarassing style. Instead he recovered and is on top of the world.

For Alonso this season it has usually has been on the wrong side of the knife edge. His own errors were costly, the team contributed his own share and the more adventurous decisions didn't work out, compounded by plain bad luck like with the SC in Valencia. All that together means he will lose this championship.

Well, it happens, There is nothing but to bog down, keep working and try again next time.

#4331 Jakob

Jakob

• 229 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:09

We're talking tiny margins here, perfectly illustrated yesterday when Hamilton after a great drive came within millimetres of throwing it all away in most embarassing style. Instead he recovered and is on top of the world.

Exactly. I think people are overanalyzing or overreacting, as usual after one eventful race. All the other WDC contenders had similar mistakes yesterday, all of them missed a braking zone or lost their cars at some point or other and all of them came *this* close to having their race ended. As a matter or fact, 3 of them were unlucky and were out before the end (I consider Vettel was out of the race after hitting Button), 2 of them were equally lucky and didn't.

It was not a good race for Alonso, far from it, but I continue to be amazed by the histrionics in this forum every time some driver or the other makes a mistake (the dogpiling in the Seb thread is no less revealing). It takes the "you are only as good as your last race" truism to new heights.

#4332 2ms

2ms

• 2,212 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:10

he will lose this championship.

Well, it happens, There is nothing but to bog down, keep working and try again next time.

The lady hasn't sung yet. Alonso's in essentially identical situation to Kimi in 2007. Same pressure. Same points difference to leader. But Alonso has the benefit of being the clear favored driver on his team. That's with 2nd driver who is not allowed to beat him, and car that has been extremely good taking them to 1-2 in two races already this year. And though it's not as important of an advantage, I think he's also in superior position due to there being so many close drivers at top -- they will be trading off podium spots -- taking points away from each other. So no one is going to be automatically getting 2nd and 3rd place the way Hamilton and Alonso did in 2007 whenever Kimi won. When Alonso wins the championship leader can easily be back in 5th or something because there is so much competition. So the points opportunities are much more wide open this year.

This season isn't even close to over if he can just start driving well.

#4333 NadsatII

NadsatII

• 236 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:15

Alonso had a superb race and, if not hit in the first lap, he would have been in the podium. From P20 to P8 shows that the car is perfect. He was hungry for points. That's all.

Funny how some people are dying to bash him.

#4334 packapoo

packapoo

• 731 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:23

Alonso had a superb race and, if not hit in the first lap, he would have been in the podium. From P20 to P8 shows that the car is perfect. He was hungry for points. That's all.

mmmm.Isn't it.

Just watched the race again. Can't believe this guy is favoured over Felippe.
Total over-rated waste of space.
Used to be good before his cry baby spell at McLaren.
Monza's going to be interesting.
C'mon Felippe.

#4335 bonjon1979a

bonjon1979a

• 2,982 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:24

Well you can't fault his consistency, not sure about the logic though.

It's the sort of phrase that'll come back to bite him in the arse. Everyone will keep asking, so what are the chance's nando...

Surely he should just be focusing on going to the next race and getting big points. These odd odds predictions are just a bit weird.

#4336 rko281

rko281

• 696 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:25

I think every driver is hungry for points :p , that's no excuse, especially if you are going to use it for a 2time WDC with so many years of experience.

#4337 goat0063

goat0063

• 279 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:45

He, He. When you think the joke played itself to death the clown comes to rescue it.

:rotfl:

#4338 Hairpin

Hairpin

• 4,468 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:20

LOL, that was damn funny :lol:

#4339 Biggles Flies Undone

Biggles Flies Undone

• 320 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:05

Try reading yesterdays reader comments on Gazzetta Dello Sport for a better understanding of the world around you.

Advertisement

#4340 rhukkas

rhukkas

• 2,160 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 12:18

He speaks Italian

Considering most F1 drivers spend most of their young lives racing karts in Italy (the home of world kart racing) it's not unusual for any of them to have a grasp of the language.

#4341 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 10,683 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 13:11

P20 to P8 was just because the the collision didn't cost him that much thanks to the SC. He was about 5s off Hamilton before the collision and was 19s off at the end of the SC period, so lost only 14s but got his mandatory pitstop in on a track where the pitstop costs about 16s. So superb is a bit strong, IMO.

The criticism of his error is also a bit strong IMO. I don't think there's a driver there today who kept it between the white lines 100% of the time and crashing out vs being able to continue is often just the luck of the draw of where you make your error.

#4342 Flamini

Flamini

• 761 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 14:37

Question to UK people. Was after Spa race an interview with Alonso on BBC? Thanks.

#4343 simplyfast

simplyfast

• 867 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 14:56

you seam to ignore the fact he made an unforced embarrassing error that ended his race.
Thats the reason why he failed to score any points yesterday.

#4344 moorsey

moorsey

• 603 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 15:08

P20 to P8 was just because the the collision didn't cost him that much thanks to the SC. He was about 5s off Hamilton before the collision and was 19s off at the end of the SC period, so lost only 14s but got his mandatory pitstop in on a track where the pitstop costs about 16s. So superb is a bit strong, IMO.

The criticism of his error is also a bit strong IMO. I don't think there's a driver there today who kept it between the white lines 100% of the time and crashing out vs being able to continue is often just the luck of the draw of where you make your error.

But from where I was watching, most of the "errors" were from drivers tip-toeing round on slicks in the wet, whereas Alonso was on inters and still managed to stick it into the wall on his own. That fact alone doesn't suggest good driving.

#4345 Dunder

Dunder

• 6,784 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 15:09

Question to UK people. Was after Spa race an interview with Alonso on BBC? Thanks.

IIRC then no, I don't think the BBC spoke to either Ferrari driver.

#4346 keeppushingurep1

keeppushingurep1

• 185 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 15:27

The speed is there, the rest... fluctuates.

For Alonso this season it has usually has been on the wrong side of the knife edge. His own errors were costly, the team contributed his own share and the more adventurous decisions didn't work out, compounded by plain bad luck like with the SC in Valencia. All that together means he will lose this championship.

if ham would have lost it at that pont just 3 inches more and alo 3 inches less, now alo would be a hero and ham crazy for risking when he s p1

we all f1 fans overreact on mondays

#4347 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 193 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 15:35

Definitely was not a good race for Alonso. WC fight is getting out of reach for him me thinks.

#4348 teejay

teejay

• 3,347 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 15:41

Is this the same fan of Ferrari heritage who said he will never drive for the red team in 2006?

#4349 Kovalonso

Kovalonso

• 540 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 17:05

Well, if Alonso repeats that he/Ferrari still has 50/50 chance of becoming WDC, then the italians will ask Fernando to go back to school.

Nando logic must be:
Fernando, are you gonna be WDC this year ?
YES [50%]
NO [50%]

:p

#4350 RobH

RobH

• 207 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 17:19

IIRC then no, I don't think the BBC spoke to either Ferrari driver.

There was definitely an interview with Massa, at least on the CF Podcast.