Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#4701 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:20

Well Alonso's start was OK, Button had lot more downforce at his rear, so had more traction, wasn't he? Button went straight on while Alonso pressed him on side losing forward energy a bit, but decided to stay away and hit the corner well, It pied of as Massa had no other way than to stay on the right side of Alonso al the way down to 4th corner.

Advertisement

#4702 Johnrambo

Johnrambo

• 940 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:22

Alonso had the far superior car and couldn't get past Button. Poor show.

#4703 Seanspeed

Seanspeed

• 14,460 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:25

Alonso had the far superior car and couldn't get past Button. Poor show.

Ya know, I think if Alonso and Button were in the same car, we'd see the same sort of pace difference between them.  ;)

I dont think we can say that either car was clearly better than the other. Especially not 'far' superior.

And he DID get by Button. :wave:

But please. Continue your bashing and inability to give credit where credit is due.

#4704 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:27

If it were Vettel who was in Ferrari, he would hav repeated the show once more...;)

#4705 808Fail

808Fail

• 49 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:30

Poor show.

Think you might be on your own there. I saw a superb drive, right on buttons tail swapping fastest laps. Kept his head and made his move when the time was best.

#4706 as65p

as65p

• 17,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:34

It also induces drag, I doubt this would be advantageous at that stage, I could be wrong, but doesn't add up to me. If the downforce is enough at that stage to apply pounds of downforce so that there's minimal traction loss while in movement switching from 1st to second, to third it surely is enough to slow the car down with induced drag, after all, "for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction". It's possible to run the numbers, but at a glance it sounds more like the disadvantage would offset the advantage, at least in this case.

You think high downforce has no advantage at lower speeds? Come on, please think again...  ;)

#4707 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 211 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:35

Fair point. He probably should have a 20 point lead over everyone else. Still, Spa aside, he's got some decent momentum going.

Agreed. I hope he has close-to-perfect weekends in the remaining races with Massa taking away as many points as possible from the other contenders.

#4708 as65p

as65p

• 17,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:35

Think you might be on your own there.

Not quite, evidently there are quite a few like that around.  ;)

#4709 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,251 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:39

Fair point. He probably should have a 20 point lead over everyone else.

(Wait for laughs...) Ok, that was it for tonight!! See you next week in Saturday Night Live!!

#4710 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 21:58

(Wait for laughs...) Ok, that was it for tonight!! See you next week in Saturday Night Live!!

What he has said is right. If Fernando was driving in the past races like he has done today, he would be leading the WDC by now.

Anyway, there are 5 races to go = 125 points to play for. At the moment, he is 21 points behind the championship leader, which is about 8 points in old money. So, anything can happen.

Edited by AlanWake, 12 September 2010 - 21:58.

#4711 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,298 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:01

What he has said is right. If Fernando was driving in the past races like he has done today, he would be leading the WDC by now.

Anyway, there are 5 races to go = 125 points to play for. At the moment, he is 21 points behind the championship leader, which is about 8 points in old money. So, anything can happen.

And IF RBR hadn't shot themselves in the foot early season the championship would be all but over now.

#4712 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,251 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:02

Of course!! "if" "would" "could"... if Red Bull had good reliability, Vettel would have 50+ lead. It´s true, but is still comedy to say simply "Vettel should be leading by 50+ points".

#4713 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:04

And IF RBR hadn't shot themselves in the foot early season the championship would be all but over now.

Fair enough :up:

#4714 as65p

as65p

• 17,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:04

Stupid IF/BUT games. The points table is what it is, alternate realities should remain where they belong (i.e. somewhere other than in this reality).

#4715 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:12

Of course!! "if" "would" "could"... if Red Bull had good reliability, Vettel would have 50+ lead. It´s true, but is still comedy to say simply "Vettel should be leading by 50+ points".

Criticise Vettel as much as you want, but he does have good damage limitation skills with a sick car. Alonso is the same. For that they are probably the best 2 drivers on the grid in that respect. The youger version of Schumacher was the same. But for damage limitation, they are the most intellegent drivers on the grid in that respect. However that is my opinion and not factual. :p

#4716 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,298 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:15

Criticise Vettel as much as you want, but he does have good damage limitation skills with a sick car. Alonso is the same. For that they are probably the best 2 drivers on the grid in that respect. The youger version of Schumacher was the same. But for damage limitation, they are the most intellegent drivers on the grid in that respect. However that is my opinion and not factual. :p

But does that outweigh his ability to damage a good car? ;)

#4717 as65p

as65p

• 17,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:19

But does that outweigh his ability to damage a good car?;)

:lol: Good point actually.

Not quite know what to make of it, but this is the 2nd time this year that Vettel apparently had a car dying on him only to be remote-healed during the course of a few laps.

It appears a tiny bit strange, I have to say.

PS: actually it's the 3rd time :eek: : Bahrain, Barcelona and now Monza. Hm...

Edited by as65p, 12 September 2010 - 22:21.

#4718 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,298 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:21

:lol: Good point actually.

Not quite know what to make of it, but this is the 2nd time this year that Vettel apparently had a car dying on him only to be remote-healed during the course of a few laps.

It appears a tiny bit strange, I have to say.

Wasn't remote healed as that's not allowed. Lot's of maybe's thrown out by RB, will be interesting to hear what the final verdict is.

#4719 as65p

as65p

• 17,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:33

Wasn't remote healed as that's not allowed. Lot's of maybe's thrown out by RB, will be interesting to hear what the final verdict is.

Of course I know there no direct interaction with the car from the pits. But in both Bahrain and now Monza there were given instructions for adjustments that apparently helped to fix the problem, something which we don't see happen very often - yet at least twice on Vettels car this season.

Advertisement

#4720 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,298 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:38

Of course I know there no direct interaction with the car from the pits. But in both Bahrain and now Monza there were given instructions for adjustments that apparently helped to fix the problem, something which we don't see happen very often - yet at least twice on Vettels car this season.

It is odd, but I'm not sure we will get the true story on it either. Horner was saying something about the brakes binding, but I find it unlikely that Vettel would have mistaken that for an engine problem.

#4721 Skinnyguy

Skinnyguy

• 4,251 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:42

Too late for that. The first corner at Bahrain was the watershed. He may as well have draped a white flag from the cockpit. Game over.

As for Red Bull, that is a lot of If's. Ferrari have a more solid motor car, its better on its tyres

March is quite far now. Monza, Hungary and other recent races suggest a very different picture.

#4722 as65p

as65p

• 17,276 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 22:43

It is odd, but I'm not sure we will get the true story on it either. Horner was saying something about the brakes binding, but I find it unlikely that Vettel would have mistaken that for an engine problem.

Yep.

OTOH, just yesterday I drove my car with a not fully disengaged handbrake :blush: for about 2 miles, and the first thing I thought was "hm, doesn't really pull today..." :drunk:

#4723 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 23:09

I know this is the wrong thread but Ted Kravitz said it didn't sound healthy. Vettel said they changed the engine settings to normal and it sorted it out. I'm sure Vettel knows the difference between an engine issue and a brake issue. So I think he was nursing some sort of engine iseue. But to bring it back to thr point of the thread, they are both excellent at nursing sick cars.

In my opinion there are 4 things that a makes a complete driver.

1) good in quali
2) good at overtaking
3) extracting the most from the car if it is good or sick
4) not crumbling under pressure.

Normally Alonso is good at 1,2,and 3 but he is in a Ferrari, so number 4 is a new experience.

I'll compare. Kimi's dream was Ferrari, he expected the pressure. Alonso's dream was Mclaren. The pressure is different.From where I see it, Ferrari was the last resort for Alonso. Kimi expected it and found a coping method. I don't think Alonso is there yet. I think his respect for Ferrari is still sinking in. This is not saying anything bad about Alonso. In fact it is a compliment. Schumacher was not a Tifosi. I must say that when Schumacher was interviewed today, you could tell he wanted to be in red.

I'm pished and rambling. :blush:

#4724 Nitropower

Nitropower

• 1,174 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 23:21

Normally Alonso is good at 1,2,and 3 but he is in a Ferrari, so number 4 is a new experience.

I'll compare. Kimi's dream was Ferrari, he expected the pressure. Alonso's dream was Mclaren. The pressure is different.From where I see it, Ferrari was the last resort for Alonso. Kimi expected it and found a coping method. I don't think Alonso is there yet. I think his respect for Ferrari is still sinking in. This is not saying anything bad about Alonso. In fact it is a compliment. Schumacher was not a Tifosi. I must say that when Schumacher was interviewed today, you could tell he wanted to be in red.

I'm pished and rambling. :blush:

It's right, but Alonso has faced a lot of pressure before succesfully. Don't forget McLaren's charge in 2005, or even more, the incredible Ferrari 2006 resurrection with a 7 times WDC biting every bit of the advantage he had built.

Alonso still needs to settle firmly at Ferrari, but that only comes with championships. It's that easy.

General remark for everyone: tifoso is singular, tifosi are plural. You don't say I'm a tifosi as you wouldn't say I'm a champions.

#4725 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,142 posts

Posted 12 September 2010 - 23:44

It's right, but Alonso has faced a lot of pressure before succesfully. Don't forget McLaren's charge in 2005, or even more, the incredible Ferrari 2006 resurrection with a 7 times WDC biting every bit of the advantage he had built.

Alonso still needs to settle firmly at Ferrari, but that only comes with championships. It's that easy.

General remark for everyone: tifoso is singular, tifosi are plural. You don't say I'm a tifosi as you wouldn't say I'm a champions.

Actually I would say I'm Tifosa. Mi non parlo itailiano. Well my Italian is poor so I'll try.

Buona'notte

Ciao

I'm English.

#4726 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 01:42

What many seem to ignore is the fact that the F10 is nowhere near the pace of the 2006, 2007 or 2008 Ferrari cars. Massa is the proof. He was able to get poles and win races easily those years. Many seem to think that Massa is not the same he was before his accident, but that is BS. I remember that when Massa was ready for return last year, Ferrari put him at the wheel of the 2008 car at Fiorano and he beat his own lap records. That was the only reason why Ferrari got him in the driver seat again. You can believe any conspiracy theories you want, but the facts do not lie. The F10 has not been the top car and the level of competition of the Red Bull and Mclaren has been much higher than previous years. Alonso is pushing Ferrari to the limit. It is impossible for a driver to be flawless when the car is not.

#4727 Craven Morehead

Craven Morehead

• 4,498 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:33

Did anybody else catch Martin's remark that the Italian press claims Alonso is the most popular Ferrari pilot since Gilles, and that the Tifosi have taken Alonso into their hearts, more than Michael Schu? I wonder how much truth is in that?

#4728 ViMaMo

ViMaMo

• 5,029 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:37

From what I saw at the podium celebrations, Massa seem to be the popular one.
Maybe Alonso is too.

#4729 DrF

DrF

• 1,445 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:37

Good result for Ferrari generally this, but it must cheer Alonso no end to get the job done in front of Luca and all the Italian fans. Great drive from him today.

Alonso needed this win far more than the points it gave him. I think he was on thin ice...

#4730 DrF

DrF

• 1,445 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:41

Maybe they told him to switch off the pit lane limiter

:rotfl:

#4731 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,747 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 07:58

From what I saw at the podium celebrations, Massa seem to be the popular one.
Maybe Alonso is too.

It has to be that way, Alonso is the new guy.

Alonso showing Ferrari motorhome in monza, in spanish but worth watching. Felipe is there.

Edited by kosmos, 13 September 2010 - 07:59.

#4732 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,029 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:29

Alonso showing Ferrari motorhome in monza, in spanish but worth watching. Felipe is there.

Thanks kosmos, very nice clip. Interesting how Fernando has respect when in front of Stefano Domenicali´s door. Otherwise, he is pretty much the chosen son and the atmosphere seems relaxed, easy going and friendly.

#4733 karlth

karlth

• 16,248 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 08:34

It was noticeable during the race how hard Alonso was pushing the car, quite impressive in fact.

Congratulations on a great race.

#4734 Infinityl

Infinityl

• 180 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 09:27

There are 125 point to go, anything can happen, but Webber and Hamilton has more advantage than 20-21 points, they had been racing with a better car than Alonso's Ferrari. If RB and Mclaren still stronger in that 5 last races its going to be very hard to recover 21 points.
When Alonso has got a similar car this year, he ussually win, unlees Monaco by accident.

#4735 K-One

K-One

• 5,911 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 12:50

Italian newspapers praising Massa and slightly critical of Alonso.

Of course we guess what tone spanish press has - same as in every other race. Calling Massa Andrea de Cesaris, which is really funny, since it was Alonso who crashed to Button :lol:

Edited by K-One, 13 September 2010 - 12:53.

#4736 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 13:09

These kind of videos show what a nice guy and down to earth he really is.

#4737 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 320 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 13:15

Italian newspapers praising Massa and slightly critical of Alonso.

Let me guess, you don't read italian?
http://www.corriered...onso e i tifosi
http://www.gazzetta....107886123.shtml

#4738 K-One

K-One

• 5,911 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 13:19

Check Il Giornale

#4739 TIFOlonSO

TIFOlonSO

• 320 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 13:28

Check Il Giornale

Rosse, trionfo di squadra Alonso è il "re di Monza"

Advertisement

#4740 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 13 September 2010 - 20:51

Tomorrow he will be in the Spanish show "El hormiguero" which is quite a surprise, I just remember him going to another show and it was more than 5 years ago.

#4741 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 01:11

Online translators :rotfl:

#4742 kosmos

kosmos

• 6,747 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 04:23

Tomorrow he will be in the Spanish show "El hormiguero" which is quite a surprise, I just remember him going to another show and it was more than 5 years ago.

This is really rare, Alonso hate this kind of events and in my opinion the program is crap, they think they are funny but they are not. Alonso's wife was there in may too. Really surprised that he don't do this in "La Sexta" broadcaster, anyway the videos will be up in youtube very soon, I will post the link when I found them.

#4743 robefc

robefc

• 8,020 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:56

There are 125 point to go, anything can happen, but Webber and Hamilton has more advantage than 20-21 points, they had been racing with a better car than Alonso's Ferrari. If RB and Mclaren still stronger in that 5 last races its going to be very hard to recover 21 points.
When Alonso has got a similar car this year, he ussually win, unlees Monaco by accident.

I don't think that's true of mclaren, it's ebbed and flowed but overall to this point I'd say they've been pretty equal.

#4744 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 21:59

It is becoming apparent that Alonso's weakness is relying on team orders or pit stop strategy to move up the leader board. I am not seeeing Alonso do that much over taking of drivers in the more faster cars.

#4745 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 22:05

It is becoming apparent that Alonso's weakness is relying on team orders or pit stop strategy to move up the leader board. I am not seeeing Alonso do that much over taking of drivers in the more faster cars.

Good one. If you wanted to sound funny, you succeeded in this.

By the way, if you are driving a car that is slower than the car in front, then how to hell are you supposed to overtake him ?? First you have to catch him. Since your car is slower, you won't do that, ever. Or I misunderstood your post?? (this 'more faster' part is puzzling)

PS. What about starting a new thread - "Alonso's weakness seems to be relying on team orders or pitstop strategy to move up the leader board". Sounds familiar, doesn't it?? :rotfl:

Edited by TURU, 14 September 2010 - 22:06.

#4746 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 22:32

Good one. If you wanted to sound funny, you succeeded in this.

By the way, if you are driving a car that is slower than the car in front, then how to hell are you supposed to overtake him ?? First you have to catch him. Since your car is slower, you won't do that, ever. Or I misunderstood your post?? (this 'more faster' part is puzzling)

PS. What about starting a new thread - "Alonso's weakness seems to be relying on team orders or pitstop strategy to move up the leader board". Sounds familiar, doesn't it?? :rotfl:

Oh yeah!.....I forgot that Alonso was perfect. :rotfl: :wave:

Edited by rabbitleader, 14 September 2010 - 22:43.

#4747 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 22:34

Edited by showtime, 14 September 2010 - 23:38.

#4748 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 22:45

Yes. Because it is so easy to over take drivers in the "more faster cars" :rolleyes:

Hey, that beats the crap of crashing out in the first corner. :rotfl:

#4749 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 22:49

Yes. Because it is so easy to over take drivers in the "more faster cars" :rolleyes:

Clearly not for Alonso.

Hey, that beats the crap of crashing out in the first corner. :rotfl:

You might wish to look at how many times Alonso has crashed this season....a hint...more than Hamilton! :wave:

#4750 fabr68

fabr68

• 3,963 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 22:53

You might wish to look at how many times Alonso has crashed this season....a hint...more than Hamilton! :wave:

Alonso has never DNF before completing the first lap this season :wave: .

That is Hamilton's weakness