Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#4751 rabbitleader

rabbitleader

• 1,032 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 22:54

Alonso has never DNF before completing the first lap this season :wave: .

That is Hamilton's weakness

But happy to accept a win at any cost, no matter how ill gotten that gain was! :wave:

Edited by rabbitleader, 14 September 2010 - 22:55.

Advertisement

#4752 Tomerell

Tomerell

• 1,350 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 22:58

Just wanted to add late congratulations for Alonso, great win in Monza that was a victory that came driving :up:

#4753 Lunas

Lunas

• 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:13

http://www.youtube.c...layer_embedded#!

#4754 Redstorm

Redstorm

• 343 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:10

Here is what we "Yanks" think of Fred. The question is who is the best pure driving talent in F1, posted on http://www.speedtv.com/

Thank you for voting!
Mark Webber 6.67%

Sebastian Vettel 13.33%

Jenson Button 6.67%

Lewis Hamilton 26.67%

Fernando Alonso 46.67%

Edited by Redstorm, 15 September 2010 - 09:11.

#4755 as65p

as65p

• 17,794 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 09:43

:up:

bad choice of vehicles by the hosts - AFAIK Alonso trains a lot on bikes :D

#4756 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:04

So what did the Alonso fans think of his side swipe of Button at the start (a la Vettel on Alonso a few races back)?

#4757 jetalt

jetalt

• 497 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:04

Thanks, Lunas.

IMHO, it was better the "WDC Winner Simulator" gag. I hope, someone upload it on Youtube.

http://www.formulatv...700/21700_p.jpg

Posted Image

Edited by jetalt, 15 September 2010 - 10:08.

#4758 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:08

So what did the Alonso fans think of his side swipe of Button at the start (a la Vettel on Alonso a few races back)?

Funny how they can point the finger at vettel( :cool: ), or webber and say nothing about alonso....
Right...

#4759 Buckethead

Buckethead

• 705 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:09

Here is what we "Yanks" think of Fred. The question is who is the best pure driving talent in F1, posted on http://www.speedtv.com/

It is clear now that you guys definately know more about F1 than Brits :)

Advertisement

#4760 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:47

We think nothing because it was a legal move and he didn't push Button out of the track or into the wall. It was a clean move with zero bad intentions. Keep bashing.

New entry on Alonso's diary.

http://www.ferrari.c...e-sportiva.aspx

#4761 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 10:55

We think nothing because it was a legal move and he didn't push Button out of the track or into the wall. It was a clean move with zero bad intentions. Keep bashing.

He pushed Button on to the grass just as much as Vettel pushed Alonso into the wall - both totally fair imho, have no idea why the Vettel move was any worse than Alonso's. You keep bashing :p

#4762 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:06

He pushed Button on to the grass just as much as Vettel pushed Alonso into the wall - both totally fair imho, have no idea why the Vettel move was any worse than Alonso's. You keep bashing :p

Germany: Half of the car outside the track, wall very close to the car.
Italy: Car always inside the track, wall far away the car.

In Italy, the risk of the manouver was zero, in the other hand in Germany there was a potential crash into the wall. If you don't believe me, check youtube.

#4763 Lunas

Lunas

• 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:11

Thanks, Lunas.

IMHO, it was better the "WDC Winner Simulator" gag. I hope, someone upload it on Youtube.

http://www.formulatv...700/21700_p.jpg

Posted Image

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#4764 Clatter

Clatter

• 27,686 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:15

OK, can you show me a picture of where Button was pushed onto the grass? I'll give a hint, you won't be able to find one, because it didn't happen. Button was not pushed outside of the track boundaries. That's the reason why us Button fans have not made any complaints about the manouvere, it broke no rules. :rolleyes:

#4765 showtime

showtime

• 2,669 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 11:25

There was enough space at the right of Button to land a Boeing 747, he didn't have to cross the white line. Vettel's move was much more dangerous.

#4766 One

One

• 6,527 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:01

:lol:

#4767 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:10

No way, it's just hard racing, obviously a solid wall makes it more clearly apparent, but Button was just as close to the grass as Alonso was to the wall - no one cares about white lines, these are racing drivers at the top of the sport, not normal people driving to the shops.

More importantly, Alonso needs to work on getting off the line, he's starting to get a bit Vettel-esque with his launches at the mo.......

#4768 K-One

K-One

• 5,917 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:22

But after his victory at Monza last weekend, Alonso said he had become much more optimistic about his title chances.

"Despite failing to score in Spa, where the accident on the first lap weighed heavily like a stone, Ferrari and I have scored more points than anyone else in these last four races," he wrote in his blog for the team's website.

He mentiones first lap incident, but not his race ending mistake :drunk:

#4769 showtime

showtime

• 2,669 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:32

But after his victory at Monza last weekend, Alonso said he had become much more optimistic about his title chances.

"Despite failing to score in Spa, where the accident on the first lap weighed heavily like a stone, Ferrari and I have scored more points than anyone else in these last four races," he wrote in his blog for the team's website.

He mentiones first lap incident, but not his race ending mistake :drunk:

Try reading his blog entry about Spa:

It was not the Belgian Grand Prix we were expecting, that’s for sure. I think the key moment in my race came on the very first lap. I had made a good start and made up a few places. The car was responding well and there was every chance of finishing up on the podium. Unfortunately, I had to come back to the pits almost immediately and that changed everything. Even though I climbed up the order, I only found myself back in the points because a handful of cars ahead of me retired: that explains what a difficult race it was. I could have done without going off the track, but it did not make a great difference: the rain meant that any chance I had of making up some places through our strategy evaporated. It seems that this year, the opening laps have not gone too well for me: in five races out of thirteen, I have found myself slipping to the back, either because of our own mistakes or because of circumstances beyond our control, as was the case two days ago in Belgium. I have always said – and I repeat it now – that in the course of the season, good luck and bad luck tend to balance one another out, so let’s hope that from now on it’s payback time!

Stop with that nonsense of him don't admitting his own mistakes

#4770 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 12:39

Posted Image

Pushing hard inside the limits vs Pushing hard beyond the limits. There is a clear difference. Keep bashing without arguments.

Where is the grass? :drunk:

Edited by kosmos, 15 September 2010 - 12:48.

#4771 syph0nJZ05

syph0nJZ05

• 2,602 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:33

Pushing hard inside the limits vs Pushing hard beyond the limits. There is a clear difference. Keep bashing without arguments.

I don't even see the issue here. Alonso moved over obviously trying to defend, but didn't force Button into a dangerous position. Whereas Vettel almost took Alonso out in Germany, very near a collision. In fact comparing the two shows how to do it aggressively but safely and how to do it overly aggressively.

#4772 Gareth

Gareth
  • RC Forum Host

• 11,026 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:37

Posted Image

They look pretty similar to me. Both Button and Alonso are given as little room as possible, both have to put 2 wheels over the white line, but both are quite securly on the tarmac.

I think the Vettel move was hard but fair (albeit silly and costly for himself) racing. Similarly I thought the Alonso move was hard but fair stuff.

Calling Vettel's move dirty but Alonso's fine makes no sense to me, though.

#4773 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:40

Forgive me if I'm wrong but there is grass just in front of where they are in that picture following the line out of the pits..........Alonso has pushed Button right over to the point where he has just enough room without going on to the grass, same way Vettel pushed Alonso right over so he has just enough room without hitting the wall.

They're different circumstances, on different tracks, but exactly the same scenario - just the layout of the tracks and position of the wall makes them look so different. Swap the wall for grass and we wouldn't even be having any discussion.........

Either way I couldn't care less, as long as there's enough room (which there clearly was unlike the MS/RB incident) it's fair racing.

#4774 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:49

The Full TV Show:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel
Part 2: http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel
Part 3: http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel
Part 4: http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel
Part 5: http://www.youtube.c...feature=channel

He could be considered a primadonna F1 driver by some fans and media, but in real life he is very shy, calm, gracious and kind :)

If some of his critics could only see these videos and open their mind, they will see how wrong they are about him...

#4775 MadYarpen

MadYarpen

• 3,886 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 13:53

as a person who really likes fernando I have to say that there were some times when he has shown another face, I won't bring it here cause there is no sense, but just to be objective one needs to accept that as a human being alonso is not always so nice.

#4776 showtime

showtime

• 2,669 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 14:19

IMO he's very straightforward and also a bit obstinate with his ideas, this has its pros and cons. He always tries to build a familiar environment where he could feel everyone is working in the same direction. If this works he is very grateful and loyal (Renault, Briatore, some sponsors, fans...). But If he thinks he has been betrayed he could lose his head for a while like we saw in some races of 2007.

#4777 chrisblades85

chrisblades85

• 2,606 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 14:32

He could be considered a primadonna F1 driver by some fans and media, but in real life he is very shy, calm, gracious and kind :)

Nah, he's reyt miserable.  ;)

#4778 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 15:00

IMO he's very straightforward and also a bit obstinate with his ideas, this has its pros and cons. He always tries to build a familiar environment where he could feel everyone is working in the same direction. If this works he is very grateful and loyal (Renault, Briatore, some sponsors, fans...). But If he thinks he has been betrayed he could lose his head for a while like we saw in some races of 2007.

:up:

#4779 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 15:33

He was anything but loyal to Renault who took him back when nobody else would employ him, but Alonso on track is a very talented driver who dosen't employ the overtly dirty and dangerous moves favoured by the other ex-multiple WDC.

F1 these days is almost exclusively the domain of ex-kart champions who tasted winning at a very young age, while this has greatly improved the skill levels of rookies it has had a bad effect on driving standards and the way these drivers handle everyday relationships with other drivers and their own team.

Edited by britishtrident, 15 September 2010 - 15:35.

Advertisement

#4780 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 16:01

What alonso did at the start was very, very dangerous.
It was not the usual move we see at the starts to cover the place, this one was continual, he shoves jenson to the right and just keeps going to the right...

#4781 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 241 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 17:16

He was anything but loyal to Renault who took him back when nobody else would employ him, .......

If I remember correctly, Brawn was trying quite hard to get him into the Honda instead of Jenson when he first started w/Honda.

#4782 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 17:28

It was not the usual move we see at the starts to cover the place, this one was continual, he shoves jenson to the right and just keeps going to the right...

I don't see the danger, the move was weird?, yes, but he didn't pushed Button outside the track with a wall in less than 1 meter from the white line, Vettel did. Anyway, I really don't want to start a battle here but for me the wall is a big factor, you can't push a driver when the wall is so close, there is a chance to have a crash.

I don't see the point of Alonso's move, Button have the position at that point, but it was a hard move but fair in my opinion.

#4783 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 17:34

Thank you for voting!
Mark Webber 6.67%

Sebastian Vettel 13.33%

Jenson Button 6.67%

Lewis Hamilton 26.67%

Fernando Alonso 46.67%

All hail America! :D :clap: :up:

#4784 robefc

robefc

• 8,100 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 17:35

Interesting...

http://news.bbc.co.u...one/8999104.stm

If you were following the live race commentary on this site before lights out on Sunday, you would have seen an intriguing quote from McLaren boss Martin Whitmarsh, who had a fascinating angle on the team orders debate.

Referring to the 2007 season, when McLaren lost the world championship to Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen because they chose not to make either Alonso or Lewis Hamilton their number one driver, Whitmarsh said that he wanted to win in a fair way, not just at any cost.

He said that during that season he had told "a gentleman who's not sat here today that if you want to win a world championship you want to be able to sit down and look yourself in a mirror and believe that you've won it, that it's not been gifted".

#4785 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,410 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 18:45

Posted Image
Posted Image

#4786 Ferrari2183

Ferrari2183

• 9,475 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 18:52

Someone please count how many people work in Maranello...  ;)

#4787 as65p

as65p

• 17,794 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 18:56

I don't see the danger, the move was weird?, yes, but he didn't pushed Button outside the track with a wall in less than 1 meter from the white line, Vettel did. Anyway, I really don't want to start a battle here but for me the wall is a big factor, you can't push a driver when the wall is so close, there is a chance to have a crash.

I don't see the point of Alonso's move, Button have the position at that point, but it was a hard move but fair in my opinion.

I was thinking the same, Alonso was a fraction late for the move to have any effect, in fact I guess he would have had an easier time into the first corners without it. A natural reaction to defend, but simply too late. The move itself was perfectly within the limits of fairness, that's why we heard not even a hint of complaint from neither Button, McLaren or the press, just from... ah, nevermind. :)

#4788 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 18:57

Someone please count how many people work in Maranello...  ;)

That picture is just the Pasta chefs.

#4789 britishtrident

britishtrident

• 1,954 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 18:59

On the very firm side of fair but Ok

#4790 Smile17

Smile17

• 1,121 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:00

as a person who really likes fernando I have to say that there were some times when he has shown another face, I won't bring it here cause there is no sense, but just to be objective one needs to accept that as a human being alonso is not always so nice.

I think i have to agree with you. I've heard many saying things like ' the many faces of Fernando Alonso'
But for me it's just a feeling and the way I imagine him to be, nothing more. So tell me which times has he openly shown another face or whatever you suggest? In front of the cameras he's always nice, behind the scenes is something we don't know...

#4791 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,672 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:18

It's strange that, as far as I can tell, Button fans weren't bothered in the slightest but a few Hamilton fans were upset by that move. :well:

#4792 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:56

It's strange that, as far as I can tell, Button fans weren't bothered in the slightest but a few Hamilton fans were upset by that move. :well:

As if only button fans can be bothered or not with what's happening during a GP... :cool:

Edited by bond, 15 September 2010 - 20:56.

#4793 karlth

karlth

• 16,258 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 20:57

He said that during that season he had told "a gentleman who's not sat here today that if you want to win a world championship you want to be able to sit down and look yourself in a mirror and believe that you've won it, that it's not been gifted".

The 2007 season left Alonso's reputation as both the fastest and most sporting driver in absolute tatters.

#4794 zack1994

zack1994

• 2,368 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:04

The 2007 season left Alonso's reputation as both the fastest and most sporting driver in absolute tatters.

we got to see the real alonso

#4795 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,672 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:12

As if only button fans can be bothered or not with what's happening during a GP... :cool:

I think it's more that not many Button fans are interested in trolling an FA thread tbh.

#4796 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:14

I think it's more that not many Button fans are interested in trolling an FA thread tbh.

So what are you doing here, again?

#4797 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:19

we got to see the real alonso

We, as in McLaren fans ;)

That quote would suggest Alonso wanted a little helping hand from managment in the team.

I suggest we interpret it as that for definite and proclaim Alonso definately wanted team orders so he could beat Lewis? No? ok.

#4798 trogggy

trogggy

• 7,672 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:19

So what are you doing here, again?

Wasting my time. You're complaining about a 'dangerous' move that the driver on the receiving end hasn't complained about, and his supporters aren't concerned by. Wasn't it you who complained of FA fans trolling in the Lewis thread?

#4799 showtime

showtime

• 2,669 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:37

Whitmarsh should wear a white knight armor and ride a steed on his quest for honour and truth. Fairy tales are great for kids, it's a shame reality is quite different.

Advertisement

#4800 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,202 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 21:45

I'll compare. Kimi's dream was Ferrari, he expected the pressure. Alonso's dream was Mclaren. The pressure is different.From where I see it, Ferrari was the last resort for Alonso. Kimi expected it and found a coping method. I don't think Alonso is there yet. I think his respect for Ferrari is still sinking in. This is not saying anything bad about Alonso. In fact it is a compliment. Schumacher was not a Tifosi. I must say that when Schumacher was interviewed today, you could tell he wanted to be in red.

As Martin Brundle said, an Italian reporter told him that Fernando is the most popular Ferrari driver since Gilles Villeneuve. So I am quite sure that Fernando knows how to cope being a Ferrari driver. He did all the right moves and was forgiven even his chain of mistakes earlier in the season. When at a critical junction of the season he triumphs, and it would not surprise me if he still takes the title.

Also Fernando´s words "I think any racing driver is not complete unless you win in Monza with Ferrari" is a well pondered statement, both towards his team and the tifosi as towards his competition (Hamilton).
Schumacher was never dearly loved in Italy, for the average Italian he was an instrument for making the Scuderia win, respected, but not loved. Of course you could tell that Michael would want to race in red, but at this point I think Ferrari are quite happy that they have Alonso instead of Schumacher. Also, how would Ferrari make a team strategy stick with Michael being slower than Felipe - he would have to support Massa and be his number 2, and then, he would be well behind (like he is with Rosberg) so he would be useless even as a number 2.

Alonso is the right driver for Ferrari, beloved, just the right personality and charisma, and unlike Kimi, his performance will not drop in the coming years - my feeling is that he wants to go for 5 WDCs.