Photo

Fernando Alonso thread [merged]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
14493 replies to this topic

#4851 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:56

Hm, nice ... so he finally got his crystal ball from eBay ??

I think he is basing his opinion in some reasoned facts (he talks about them in the interview) instead than looking a crystal ball.

He says, for example, than Vettel will get #3 because he had some relability issues but that he will eventually get that position, which is the one he deserves. Mark #2 because he's been the most consistent driver. About him being #1, he says he doesn't feel as much pressure as some other drivers who this may be their last possibility to be WDC (He's clearly making a reference to Webber) and that it is not a big deal for him if he loses the WDC because being in Ferrari means he will have changes again to win it.

He doesn't say it, but I'm sure he has faith in the F10 being competitive in the last races too.

Edited by Massacrator, 24 September 2010 - 09:57.

Advertisement

#4852 bond

bond

• 2,554 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:58

About him being #1, he says he doesn't feel as much pressure as some other drivers who this may be their last possibility to be WDC (He's clearly making a reference to Webber) and that it is not a big deal for him if he loses the WDC because being in Ferrari means he will have changes again to win it.

Sure it's not a big deal to lose... :lol:

#4853 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,812 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:23

Thanks Massacrator. I think it's hard to ignore the logic in the statements he's made, but they do ignore the relative performance of the cars. Alonso needs the Ferrari to be consistently better than the Red Bulls and McLaren's and I don't believe his crystal ball sees that. By Sunday evening, we'll have a much better idea.

#4854 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:23

I think he is basing his opinion in some reasoned facts (he talks about them in the interview) instead than looking a crystal ball.

He says, for example, than Vettel will get #3 because he had some relability issues but that he will eventually get that position, which is the one he deserves. Mark #2 because he's been the most consistent driver. About him being #1, he says he doesn't feel as much pressure as some other drivers who this may be their last possibility to be WDC (He's clearly making a reference to Webber) and that it is not a big deal for him if he loses the WDC because being in Ferrari means he will have changes again to win it.He doesn't say it, but I'm sure he has faith in the F10 being competitive in the last races too.

Is this guy capable of saying anything interesting, or related to reality, at all ?

#4855 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:32

Is this guy capable of saying anything interesting, or related to reality, at all ?

There's only one way to judge that. Wait and see :)

#4856 as65p

as65p

• 17,517 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:39

As he invariably seems to grab your attention, I'd say yes. :)

#4857 Buttoneer

Buttoneer
  • RC Forum Admin

• 16,812 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:42

Specifically what is unrelated to reality? Ferrari is consistently one of the better teams and only occasionally have off years. With a long term contract, he's definitely going to be confident of having another go.

#4858 Anssi

Anssi

• 1,899 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 10:57

And now we remind ourselves of what happened to Jean Alesi. He was brilliant but then he went to Ferrari and won only one race in F1. I thought he would win a F1 Championship but in that team in those times it was clearly impossible.

Then again we can criticise Jean Alesi for being stuck in that team for so long. Alain Prost made the right thing by getting out early. I think he may have realised that he has two choices, 1) to hang in there and hope it gets better (this must be what Alesi did) or 2) to put up a fight to try to 'fix' the team and run the risk of getting fired.

Now with Fernando Alonso at Ferrari, it may be that he will get many more chances to win a WDC but there is absolutely no guarantee of that. He may as well have his last realistic chance to win a WDC. For all we know it could be that Mark Webber wins 3 WDCs in a row and Fernando Alonso none until he retires from F1 leaving Mark the more successful F1 driver.

#4859 kosmos

kosmos

• 7,057 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:41

He basically says (from what I understand in the spanish news site) that he believes he will win this championship with Webber second Vettel third Hamilton fourth and Button fifth.

I can't read the original source but at least from the spanish summary he is not saying it with arrogance, he think that he and Ferrari have some advantage because both have the experience of winning multiple titles and they will not be nervous. The best thing is to way for a proper translation of the german text to judge Alonso.

Advertisement

#4860 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:02

Always a bad sign when a competitor starts rationalising how they're not under pressure. It tends to mean they wish they were under less pressure.

#4861 Fontainebleau

Fontainebleau
  • RC Forum Host

• 2,111 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:07

Always a bad sign when a competitor starts rationalising how they're not under pressure. It tends to mean they wish they were under less pressure.

If they volunteer the information, you are probably right. But if they are answering an specific question about it, then no, they are just answering the question.

#4862 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:07

I can't read the original source but at least from the spanish summary he is not saying it with arrogance, he think that he and Ferrari have some advantage because both have the experience of winning multiple titles and they will not be nervous. The best thing is to way for a proper translation of the german text to judge Alonso.

I don't have any problem with any driver considering himself or his car better than the others. Yes, some people call it arrogance, I don't really know what is wrong with it.

#4863 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:45

Specifically what is unrelated to reality? Ferrari is consistently one of the better teams and only occasionally have off years. With a long term contract, he's definitely going to be confident of having another go.

So you really believe he is not under much pressure at all ? They sacked Kimi with heavy penalties, they spend an ungodly amount of money developing the car, they pay him an absurd amount of money and you really think that they are not under an enourmous amount of pressure to perform ? If you do then you are just wrong.

#4864 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 12:52

So you really believe he is not under much pressure at all ? They sacked Kimi with heavy penalties, they spend an ungodly amount of money developing the car, they pay him an absurd amount of money and you really think that they are not under an enourmous amount of pressure to perform ? If you do then you are just wrong.

It's all relative, they are all under pressure to perform. It's like blood to a surgeon, it's part of the deal. He is just saying he is used to it and can cope with it.

Edited by Watkins74, 24 September 2010 - 12:56.

#4865 cardin

cardin

• 2,065 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:02

It's all relative, they are all under pressure to perform. It's like blood to a surgeon, it's part of the deal. He is just saying he is used to to it and can cope with it.

Yes they are. Specially the guys in the front running teams. In his case I think there are even some extra factors to turn the wick up a little bit more. He's under an enourmous amount of pressure, and I think his many mistakes this year shows it quite well. And to say there's always next year just doesn't cut it.

#4866 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:03

Today the spanish comentators on laSexta were talking about the pressure, they said they have seen Schumacher shake in a last race due to the nerves, they've seen great drivers do mistakes in their last race of the championship, they've seen how for example Hamilton cracked in the last race of 2007 / 2008 due to the ammount of pressure they have to handle in that very last moment of the championship.

It is something really difficult to handle. Alonso seems to deal with that very well, the times he had to deliver under presure, he did it, and that's something that I believe gives some advantage to Alonso.

#4867 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:08

In an odd way I almost think there is more pressure not to end up 5th then win the WDC. It would be a blow to the reputation for especially Alonso and Hamilton to be beaten by the other 4.

#4868 Massacrator

Massacrator

• 1,361 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:15

In an odd way I almost think there is more pressure not to end up 5th then win the WDC. It would be a blow to the reputation for especially Alonso and Hamilton to be beaten by the other 4.

For Alonso it would be fine looking at Massa's position, for Hamilton I would consider a really bad result as I consider him better than Button and they have the same machinery.

#4869 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:21

I would say the great pressure for Fernando and Lewis is not to be beaten by the other. They'd both find losing to a Red Bull far more palatable.

Not only is there the old war from 2007, they know their cars are not too far apart. If Webbo or Sebi win, it's the car. If Lewis or Fernando wins, it's the driver...

And this is why Fernando supposedly thinks Lewis will finish 4th...

#4870 topical

topical

• 2,169 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:39

Bild posted an interview with Alonso:

http://www.bild.de/B...eltmeister.html (german)
http://www.elcorreo....1009240924.html (spanish news about it)

He basically says (from what I understand in the spanish news site) that he believes he will win this championship with Webber second Vettel third Hamilton fourth and Button fifth.

I am an Alonso fan but I really have to cringe at the quote I read in Bild, in which he said that Vettel won't win the title because (amongst other reasons) he has had 'too many accidents' and that Webber has a good chance because 'he is the most consistent of all of us'.
First, Vettel has had no more accidents than Alonso from what I remember (although Vettel's tend to involve other cars) and on the consistency stakes, surely Hamilton deserves a mention? Okay, he made 3 important mistakes at Monza and was very lucky not to crash out at Spa, but otherwise has been very consistent. Needless to say, neither McLaren driver is considered by Alonso.
I hope Alonso wins the title but I find this incessant bitterness (that's how it comes across) really a bit sad. In contrast he has lots of nice things to say about Schumacher which is interesting.

Nor do I believe for a second that Alonso feels under no pressure. He knows that without his string of mistakes this year he would be comfortably leading the championship by now and I'm sure he would very dearly love to take the title at his first attempt with Ferrari. Still, I do believe the Red Bulls are under the most pressure, simply because they have the fastest car and will take a lot of stick if they cannot get at least one title with such a machine.

Edited by topical, 24 September 2010 - 13:47.

#4871 ToniLola

ToniLola

• 81 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 13:43

For Alonso it would be fine looking at Massa's position, for Hamilton I would consider a really bad result as I consider him better than Button and they have the same machinery.

I think it would be the same for both. Button is the current world champion on a huge high, but Hamilton is McLaren's man and should beat him. Massa is coming off a life-threatening injury, I don't think many people expected him to match Alonso's speed.

#4872 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 16:06

Caught of a bit of free practice 2 earlier today, Alonso goes off into the run off area (fair enough, anyone can make a mistake) but instead of turning around in there, he REVERSES back on to the race track and then stalls it! Gets out and has to push the car back off the track!

WTF! Most ridiculous thing I've ever seen :eek:

Edited by lexmeister2, 24 September 2010 - 16:06.

#4873 topical

topical

• 2,169 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 17:14

Caught of a bit of free practice 2 earlier today, Alonso goes off into the run off area (fair enough, anyone can make a mistake) but instead of turning around in there, he REVERSES back on to the race track and then stalls it! Gets out and has to push the car back off the track!

You've clearly led a very sheltered life.

#4874 Pep

Pep

• 1,046 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 18:11

He broke the transmission when turning back to the track his Ferrari, so he helped pushing the car again out.

Video

#4875 jetalt

jetalt

• 495 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 18:16

Chris Dyer: Rather a difficult day in terms of running the programme we had set out for the two free practice sessions. In the first one, the track conditions were neither fish nor fowl: the damp track meant you could not use the dry tyres without the risk of damaging them, but it was not wet enough to run properly on the intermediates. In the second session, we were unable to complete the planned programme on Fernando's car, because an experimental component in the gearbox broke, which was discovered when he went off the track at turn 18: now we have to take a close look at the part to determine what caused the breakage.

Edited by jetalt, 24 September 2010 - 18:17.

#4876 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 23:33

Bild posted an interview with Alonso:

http://www.bild.de/B...eltmeister.html (german)
http://www.elcorreo....1009240924.html (spanish news about it)

This is what he wrote on the paper:

Posted Image

Let's hope he is RIGHT :up:

BTW, I found this interesting picture where you can see his expression behind his helmet:

Posted Image

#4877 Massa_f1

Massa_f1

• 3,368 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 23:48

This is what he wrote on the paper:

Posted Image

Let's hope he is RIGHT :up:

BTW, I found this interesting picture where you can see his expression behind his helmet:

Posted Image

He actulay wrote that hahah. I will be even more glad when he looses out.

#4878 showtime

showtime

• 2,585 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 23:52

And what is he supposed to do? Bet for any of the other drivers? :confused:

#4879 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 00:15

He actulay wrote that hahah. I will be even more glad IF he looses out.

Fixed it :wave:

Advertisement

#4880 Hole

Hole

• 2,232 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 00:20

And what is he supposed to do? Bet for any of the other drivers? :confused:

Just ask Hamilton, Webber, or Vettel and they'll set theirselves first too.

#4881 lexmeister2

lexmeister2

• 206 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:50

You've clearly led a very sheltered life.

Eh? I don't mean in my life ever, I mean in F1 - never seen anything as ridiculous as reversing back on to the race track at such pedestrian speeds, how he escaped a fine I have no idea..........even the commentators were surprised that he reversed back like that.

#4882 Mr2s

Mr2s

• 794 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 15:07

Eh? I don't mean in my life ever, I mean in F1 - never seen anything as ridiculous as reversing back on to the race track at such pedestrian speeds, how he escaped a fine I have no idea..........even the commentators were surprised that he reversed back like that.

how about ramming other drivers and generally thinking you're above the rules? I would say that's far worse than what Alonso did.

#4883 GPmaster

GPmaster

• 455 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 15:08

Very good boy, very good work. :up:

#4884 Watkins74

Watkins74

• 5,767 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 16:00

A brilliant performance by Fernando today.

He put in 2 laps faster then anyone else in Q3.

Edited by Watkins74, 25 September 2010 - 16:01.

#4885 Dan333SP

Dan333SP

• 602 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 16:03

I'm no Alonso fanboy but that lap he put in today was fantastic, in fact his 2nd run, although slower than the 1st by a fraction, was also good enough for pole despite this being a circuit that was supposed to suit the RBRs. Clearly Ferrari have developed nicely since Hungary, and with Massa out of the race/championship fight, I'm throwing my chips in the Alonso wagon for the championship. Hope he has a clean start tomorrow!

#4886 Lokt

Lokt

• 460 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 16:06

:up: Alonso showing whos the boss  ;)

#4887 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 16:11

Great lap from Fernando. Always on the limit. It is a true pleasure watching him drive. :up:

#4888 Jay

Jay

• 957 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 16:14

FANTASTIC lap from Fred...

I'm not his biggest fan.. but he's really smokin' when he hooks it up!..

#4889 Callisto

Callisto

• 2,672 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 16:50

Excelent pole lap from alonso

#4890 Panktej

Panktej

• 353 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 17:16

He actulay wrote that hahah. I will be even more glad when he looses out.

Nothing wrong in being optimistic

#4891 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,184 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 18:31

Excellent lap from Alonso. Now 2nd favourite for the championship.

#4892 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 18:43

Excellent lap from Alonso. Now 2nd favourite for the championship.

Indeed :cool:

bwin.com

Mark Webber (AUS/Red Bull) 3.20

Fernando Alonso (ESP/Ferrari) 3.30

Lewis Hamilton (GBR/McLaren) 4.50

Sebastian Vettel (GER/Red Bull) 4.75

Jenson Button (GBR/McLaren) 15.00

#4893 Panktej

Panktej

• 353 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 18:45

Any link for Alonso getting emotional with Spanish media?

#4894 AlanWake

AlanWake

• 1,610 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 19:13

Any link for Alonso getting emotional with Spanish media?

The emotion in his voice is undeniable.

#4895 TURU

TURU

• 2,786 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 19:21

For me he just looks tired :wave:

#4896 Mandzipop

Mandzipop
  • RC Forum Host

• 4,184 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 19:23

For me he just looks tired :wave:

Yup. Apparently he has manflu so he would look tired.

#4897 zeph

zeph

• 765 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 19:32

Glad to see Alonso back in the mix!

#4898 gaston_foix

gaston_foix

• 2,678 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 19:36

Yup. Apparently he has manflu so he would look tired.

Me too also. Alonso is very cool...

#4899 topical

topical

• 2,169 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 19:42

I don't understand Spanish but I certainly don't find there anything unusual in his tone, he looks tired but not upset, the sound wobbles a bit towards the end but that's all.
I was expecting something more like this:
emotional

Advertisement

#4900 CSquared

CSquared

• 625 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 19:52

Doesn't seem unusual at all to me. The wavering voice is obviously because of glitches in the digital transmission.

No one here can translate Spanish?