Photo

Renwick Konig

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 19:46

Hi Guys, just photographed the Renwick Konig this afternoon, it's not the actual British Championship winner but the second machine which was never used by the Boret brothers but is virtually identical!
Other angles to follow.
http://msrphotograph...o_page_479.html

Advertisement

#2 exclubracer

exclubracer

• 1,720 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 19:49

Hi Guys, just photographed the Renwick Konig this afternoon, it's not the actual British Championship winner but the second machine which was never used by the Boret brothers but is virtually identical!
Other angles to follow.

Lovely shot Mick :up: Got any more of this fascinating machine?

#3 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 19:55

Very nice , Mick :up: , hows tricks , good I hope :wave:

#4 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 21:06

Here we go, nice pic of iconic outfit!
Posted Image

#5 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 21:08

Its just like going back in time!! :eek:
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

#6 Coupe Kawasaki

Coupe Kawasaki

• 1,501 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 22:02

:up: :up: :up:

Even the stars had an ex-pikey minibus then!

Nice pic too Mick :wave:

David

#7 roadshop

roadshop

• 182 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 22:20

Its just like going back in time!! :eek:
Posted Image
Photo Copyrighted to Graham Etheridge, racebikepics.

I remember seeing it for the first time in a German TV-covering of the German GP many years ago.
Thought to myself... What the hell is this...F1 come to sidecarracing?
Just loved the looks of it ever since.

#8 philippe7

philippe7

• 2,849 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:00

Tell me, my Briton friends....did the Renwick-König pre-date the first Rolf Biland Seymaz which appeared, IIRC, in 1975 - as the first side-car outfit with car-style triangular suspension? I have a feeling it may have, but I'm not sure .

#9 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:06

Tell me, my Briton friends....did the Renwick-König pre-date the first Rolf Biland Seymaz which appeared, IIRC, in 1975 - as the first side-car outfit with car-style triangular suspension? I have a feeling it may have, but I'm not sure .

Phiippe, The Renwick Konig was built around 1972/3, I think it won the British Championship 1973 or 4 but not 100% sure.

#10 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 08:58

My pic is Easter 1974, I am sure it ran in 1973?

#11 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 13:07

My pic is Easter 1974, I am sure it ran in 1973?

Well , due to family illness , did'nt get to Pembrey , hopefully tomorrow :well: , so had time to check it out .
No pic , but definately ran in 1973 , entered as a Renwick Konig 680 at Brands in October and a 750 at Silverstone in August
It won the Silverstone race , from Chris Vincent on the URS !!! on the Sat afternoon , no result from Sunday , last race of the day ( probably on the way home :blush: )
Also won at Brands , from Pete Hardy and Norman Hanks
A handy tool indeed !!!!!! :up:

#12 Classicpics

Classicpics

• 438 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 17:17

Well , due to family illness , did'nt get to Pembrey , hopefully tomorrow :well: , so had time to check it out .
No pic , but definately ran in 1973 , entered as a Renwick Konig 680 at Brands in October and a 750 at Silverstone in August
It won the Silverstone race , from Chris Vincent on the URS !!! on the Sat afternoon , no result from Sunday , last race of the day ( probably on the way home :blush: )
Also won at Brands , from Pete Hardy and Norman Hanks
A handy tool indeed !!!!!! :up:

Posted Image

Silverstone

#13 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 16:42

Lovely shot Mick :up: Got any more of this fascinating machine?

Thanks Guys, more angles to follow!

#14 timhanna

timhanna

• 91 posts

Posted 04 April 2010 - 23:42

Hi Mick,
I wonder if there is any chance of using the lovely transparent shot in my soon to be completed book on Kim Newcombe and the racing Konigs. I have recorded the sidecar history as part of the story and of course the Boret brothers feature prominently. We had Renwick out here for the Pukekohe Festival a couple of years ago. He demonstrated rather than raced it but it went very well.
If you do manage to put the part played by Konig sidecars in the British championship together I'd love to know about it.
I have corresponded with Jeff Gawley a great deal about the 73 GP season and also Rolf Steinhausen, Werner Schwarzel and various others who were involved with Konig sidecars.
All the best
Tim

Thanks Guys, more angles to follow!

#15 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 07:13

Hi Mick,
I wonder if there is any chance of using the lovely transparent shot in my soon to be completed book on Kim Newcombe and the racing Konigs. I have recorded the sidecar history as part of the story and of course the Boret brothers feature prominently. We had Renwick out here for the Pukekohe Festival a couple of years ago. He demonstrated rather than raced it but it went very well.
If you do manage to put the part played by Konig sidecars in the British championship together I'd love to know about it.
I have corresponded with Jeff Gawley a great deal about the 73 GP season and also Rolf Steinhausen, Werner Schwarzel and various others who were involved with Konig sidecars.
All the best
Tim

Hi Tim, I have 3 more angles of outfit still to post, see what you think of them and not a problem if you wish to use any in your book.

#16 timhanna

timhanna

• 91 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 23:04

Thanks Mick,
I look forward to seeing the other shots. It's an elegant beast is it not.

#17 Mick Robinson

Mick Robinson

• 271 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 19:37

Thanks Mick,
I look forward to seeing the other shots. It's an elegant beast is it not.

Another angle of R Konig guys
http://msrphotograph...o_page_480.html

#18 BRS

BRS

• 15 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 17:29

Fantastic to see this again The artists impressions are of John Renwicks Machine which differed from Nick and Gerry's in that it had an inboard disc Brake mounted away from the Front wheel. Gerry also had a duplex chain running off the old coventry climax clutch (Same as the JPS Norton's) One day at Silverstone the chain broke and as it was externally mounted it cut a perfect rectagular hole in the floor of the out fit. Gerry went White when he saw it as he realised what might have happened had it come upwards instaed of down!

The Van was a 3 litre capri engine in a double wheel chassis L/W Transit. Every time it stopped at traffic lights the fuel in the carbs vapourised and it Kangarooed for about 1`/4 mile. 3 could sit up front whilst two had to travel feet first horizontal over the Bike on a platform(Bed!). Even now when I see a picture of an autobahn I have to put my head on its side to identify where it was.

Gerry was sadly drowned in a racing yatch accident but Nick Boret still has a Paint spraying bussiness in London. In the Van Picture Gerry is the Tubby one by the van Door, in White T shirt, his wife Margaret is in the Van. I am not sure but the Gent in the Shell overalls could be yours truly. I am not sure if the passenger was Nick Boret or a chap called Peter ???? sorry senior moment. The Tent , a first was decorated with advertising from Shell, Regina and champion who paid £50.00 each The tent cost £149.00. The team was based in Richmond upon Thames in Gerry's Gararge which was also used as a base later on for the Transatlantic team USA and had a wrecked Gary Nixon Fairing hanging on the wall. Bob Work was there the year Steve Baker rode his OW whatever it was and staggered every one by pulling wheelies in the first 4 gears!

Edited by BRS, 27 May 2010 - 17:35.

#19 timhanna

timhanna

• 91 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 01:32

I love the shot of the outfit in action and would indeed like to use it in my book.
I wonder if anyone has an email address for Nick Boret or a phone number - or anything really. I would very much like to contact him. He and his brother and mother were extremely kind to Janeen after Kim was killed and she always spoke very highly of the family.
I am also interested in any information that anyone might have on Vernon Cooper.
I understand Kim argued with Cooper for some hours to have straw bales placed against the wall he eventually hit when he came off the track at Stowe Corner. I would like to know where Cooper came from and briefly how he came to rule the ACU. Actually any stories about Cooper would be appreciated. I don't want to be unfair and guess he must have had some qualities.

Advertisement

#20 BRS

BRS

• 15 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:17

I love the shot of the outfit in action and would indeed like to use it in my book.
I wonder if anyone has an email address for Nick Boret or a phone number - or anything really. I would very much like to contact him. He and his brother and mother were extremely kind to Janeen after Kim was killed and she always spoke very highly of the family.
I am also interested in any information that anyone might have on Vernon Cooper.
I understand Kim argued with Cooper for some hours to have straw bales placed against the wall he eventually hit when he came off the track at Stowe Corner. I would like to know where Cooper came from and briefly how he came to rule the ACU. Actually any stories about Cooper would be appreciated. I don't want to be unfair and guess he must have had some qualities.

Hi

Nick is in business somewhere in the Croydon area he has a commercial spraying outfit, sorry but I don't have his number. I believe Gerry's wife Margaret still lives in the Molsey area. I helped build this outfit in Gerry's garage in Richmond, in fact this was my introduction to Motorcycle sport. Nick and Gerry did the world GP's for around 3 years with this unfortunately they only finished once a second at Assen. The castings always leaked, the Mechanic for a part of the time was the late Laurie Scott an Australian, great character who had worked for Pecket and McNab

Re Vernon Cooper. I think he was from the Cheshire area and was involved with a TV rental company. I have several run-in's with him. When we had to do the F 1 races in Villa Real there was a stewards Dinner which he Rex White and I were invited. Rex gave Vernon and I a lift. After dinner the host passed round some fruit he had pickled himself they were actually cherries in a very strong Grappa I think, Rex called them cherries in Av-Gas I tried 2 and was not terribly keen Rex had 3 and felt all wobbly, Vernon had 5. I had to drive Rex's car back to our hotel which had a lobby with 2 lines of marble pillars along it. Vernon stumbled out of the car and bounced from one side of the lobby to the other off the Marble pillars, he failed to appear next morning for the steward meeting!

Edited by BRS, 02 June 2010 - 08:25.

#21 fil2.8

fil2.8

• 19,496 posts

Posted 02 June 2010 - 08:36

I think the tv rental company Vernon Cooper was involved with was ' Rumbelows '

#22 kevariel

kevariel

• 1 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 04:59

I am new to this forum stuff, but when I saw the photo of the Renwick at Brands and saw I was in the photo standing on Gerry Boret's left (arms crossed in blue jumper) I just had to add a few comments.
The man working on the Konig is John Renwick I have known him for many years and up until emigrating to Australia in 1981 was involved with quite a few of his devolopments.
I was on the scene in the very early 70s when the first wedge was conceived and built,it was powered by a vincent engine and the early testing was done on the M25 motorway which was under construction at the time.this tested straight line stability etc.
I have some photos of this machine but can't seem to get them onto this forum!
I believe the Pete mentioned was Pete Kennard who was John Renwick's passenger on a 750cc Vincent at the 1970TT, John Renwick built a short stroke Vincent engine with stepped push rod tubes that gave the impresion of having bent push rods.
I was to ride a Vincent shadow to the island as a machine that John could learn the circuit on.the big end failed on the M4 and we left the bike leaning against a fence for the two weeks we were on the island.
the big end (I believe) failed on the race bike so we had a miserable time.when we returned to pick up the shadow we were amazed to find it still there.
we squeezed us and the Vincent into Pete's VW combi and rushed home at 50MPH.
Nick Boret was passengering for Arthur Teasdale who I seem to remember was on his honeymoon, on the ferry home Nick FOUND a box of scallops to bring home.
The Konig that John Renwick parades is the ex Lee Fieldsend outfit which he bought back when Lee I believe returned to Australia a few years back(it has an adjustable rear shocky that Lee specified).
John Renwick and I are of the belief that Gerry and Nigel Boret could have been world champions but we will never know,
it was very sad to hear that Gerry was killed by a rescue boat hitting him in a sailing accident.

#23 greg1953

greg1953

• 430 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 08:28

Other angles to follow.

Great shots Mick, which track are the classics racing on, the one with the Armco ?
Greg

#24 picblanc

picblanc

• 12,531 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 10:06

Great shots Mick, which track are the classics racing on, the one with the Armco ?
Greg

Chimay Belgium, said Mick without moving his lips/lifting a finger :)

#25 Herr Wankel

Herr Wankel

• 941 posts

Posted 19 March 2011 - 14:06

Chimay Belgium, said Mick without moving his lips/lifting a finger :)

One for sale on the German Classic Motorrad website.Offers over 5000 !

HW