Photo

The Top Seven Drivers in 2010

• Please log in to reply
252 replies to this topic

Poll: Who are among your top 7 in 2010? (567 member(s) have cast votes)

Please chose those drivers who are among your Top Seven in 2010!

1. Felipe Massa (271 votes [7.97%])

Percentage of vote: 7.97%

2. Fernando Alonso (441 votes [12.97%])

Percentage of vote: 12.97%

3. Sebastian Vettel (436 votes [12.82%])

Percentage of vote: 12.82%

4. Jenson Button (337 votes [9.91%])

Percentage of vote: 9.91%

5. Nico Rosberg (333 votes [9.79%])

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

6. Lewis Hamilton (455 votes [13.38%])

Percentage of vote: 13.38%

7. Robert Kubica (445 votes [13.08%])

Percentage of vote: 13.08%

8. Mark Webber (124 votes [3.65%])

Percentage of vote: 3.65%

9. Adrian Sutil (111 votes [3.26%])

Percentage of vote: 3.26%

10. Michael Schumacher (123 votes [3.62%])

Percentage of vote: 3.62%

11. Vitantonio Liuzzi (26 votes [0.76%])

Percentage of vote: 0.76%

12. Jaime Alguersuari (80 votes [2.35%])

Percentage of vote: 2.35%

13. Rubens Barrichello (40 votes [1.18%])

Percentage of vote: 1.18%

14. Nico Hülkenberg (15 votes [0.44%])

Percentage of vote: 0.44%

15. Jarno Trulli (18 votes [0.53%])

Percentage of vote: 0.53%

16. Heiki Kovalainen (25 votes [0.74%])

Percentage of vote: 0.74%

17. Bruno Senna (14 votes [0.41%])

Percentage of vote: 0.41%

18. Sebastian Buemi (12 votes [0.35%])

Percentage of vote: 0.35%

19. Karun Chandok (35 votes [1.03%])

Percentage of vote: 1.03%

20. Vitali Petrov (60 votes [1.76%])

Percentage of vote: 1.76%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:24

So 2010 has developed somewhat surprisingly for me.

Same time last year many people would have said the top five consist of the inevitable Hamilton/Alonso/Massa/Raikkonen/Vettel, with Kubica and Button probably the next in line.
Same time in 2008 it would have been Hamilton/Alonso/Massa/Raikkonen/Kubica.

Now, at least in my opinion it is

Alonso
Vettel
Hamilton
Rosberg
Button
Massa
Kubica

but this is a season with Michael Schumacher in the running again, and HIM outside of the top seven, who would have thought.
Still, Michael should be coming back strongly as of Barcelona the latest, his relaxed demeanor lately has been noticed, he is a matured man and should be able to make his experience count at one point sooner or later.

What many would not have thought possible is how strong Britney/Barbie really is. On current form I would put him in the top five, definitely ahead of Massa, maybe ahead of Kubica.
Norbert Haug says it is Michael Schumacher in the team that brings the best out in Nico - amazing to see.

Button has again shown his finesse, Hamilton his attacking spirit, Alonso his overall mastery and Vettel his blinding speed.

Webber is as mistake-ridden as ever, and I fear for him to be more and more under pressure as the iceman looms larger the closer we get to September...
Somehow Schumacher and Webber seems to me like the elder statesmen at this point, and I would not be surprised if both of them were to retire (again) at the end of this year.

Then we have Sutil and also Liuzzi on surprising form, or is it just the Force India that is so brilliant?! Alguersuari seems to be coming of age and becomes a real threat to Buemi - do we have a second Alonso in the wings? And Petrov shows amazing promise, plus he is genuinely a nice bloke!

Senna and Chandok should not be underestimated, even if the car cannot do them any justice.

So who is your Top Seven for 2010?

Please chose your favorites and be kind enough to let us know why!

Sorry that I could not include every driver, as the poll form permits only 20 entries - having omitted di Grassi, Glock, de la Rosa and Kobayashi is very sad to me - maybe the designers of the BB could change the format to 24 or 26 options, so we can always include the whole field for such and similar "surveys".

I do not envy Peter Sauber and I admire his will not to give up - sadly he is not rewarded so far and will have a very difficult year - and I fear that his driver choice was not so smart this year... Glock is a jewel, very hard to put him or Trulli or Kovalainen in or out of the poll, they are quite equal IMHO, although they have different strengths. And sadly Nick Heidfeld is also not included for reasons we all know, he should be still Top 12 at this point.

The choices you and I make will also be interesting with regards to how the year develops...

Advertisement

#2 Brandz07

Brandz07

• 3,500 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:31

who voted chandhok?.. theres always a joker :)

Edited by Brandz07, 05 April 2010 - 15:32.

#3 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 9,394 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:31

On which planet have you been watching F1 this year.

#4 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:32

I wanted to go for the Top Seven, as they are at the moment more or less naturally established by having 30+ points each - and these are also my personal choices.
Yet I may be doing injustice to the fine showings of Sutil, Petrov, Liuzzi and Alquersuari...

So please shoot for the Top Seven and also include seven choice in the poll! Thanks!

#5 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:34

who voted chandhok?.. theres always a joker :)

Maybe somebody from India?!

I can imagine Indians must be proud having a team, a driver, and soon a GP established in F1....

#6 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:40

I find incomprehensible that you have put Kubica ahead of Mark Webber and Michael Schumacher.

#7 Muppetmad

Muppetmad

• 11,137 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:42

I actually voted the top 7 on the list - because I believe they are the top 7 drivers in F1 at the moment.

I find incomprehensible that you have put Kubica ahead of Mark Webber and Michael Schumacher.

It's interesting you mention that - the OP has merely put the drivers in current championship order.

Edited by Muppetmad, 05 April 2010 - 15:43.

#8 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:43

If you study the sequence of the first ten drivers in this poll, it represents exactly the WDC standings at this point. I chose this form as in any other way it would have been a personal choice. As is, it just represents the championship standings as of Malaysia - this is as objective as one can be.

#9 Kooper

Kooper

• 2,189 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:45

no particular order, my choices

Massa
Alonso
Vettel
Button
Hamilton
Kubica
Sutil

#10 Anomnader

Anomnader

• 8,616 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:45

I've included Kubica but not Webber or MS.

In any order
Hamilton
Rosberg
Alonso
Vettel
Button
Massa
Kubica

Edited by Anomnader, 05 April 2010 - 15:46.

#11 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:46

So is it allowed to chose other drivers than the 7 in the top of the championship right now? Or what else is actually the point of this poll/thread?

#12 RodrigoL

RodrigoL

• 1,531 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:49

IMO:

Vettel
-gap-
Massa/Hamilton
Alonso
Button
Schumi (eventually)
Rosberg

#13 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:52

So 2010 has developed somewhat surprisingly for me.

Same time last year many people would have said the top five consist of the inevitable Hamilton/Alonso/Massa/Raikkonen/Vettel, with Kubica and Button probably the next in line.
Same time in 2008 it would have been Hamilton/Alonso/Massa/Raikkonen/Kubica.

Now, at least in my opinion it is

Alonso
Vettel
Hamilton
Rosberg
Button
Massa
Kubica

but this is a season with Michael Schumacher in the running again, and HIM outside of the top seven, who would have thought.
Still, Michael should be coming back strongly as of Barcelona the latest, his relaxed demeanor lately has been noticed, he is a matured man and should be able to make his experience count at one point sooner or later.

What many would not have thought possible is how strong Britney/Barbie really is. On current form I would put him in the top five, definitely ahead of Massa, maybe ahead of Kubica.
Norbert Haug says it is Michael Schumacher in the team that brings the best out in Nico - amazing to see.

Button has again shown his finesse, Hamilton his attacking spirit, Alonso his overall mastery and Vettel his blinding speed.

Webber is as mistake-ridden as ever, and I fear for him to be more and more under pressure as the iceman looms larger the closer we get to September...
Somehow Schumacher and Webber seems to me like the elder statesmen at this point, and I would not be surprised if both of them were to retire (again) at the end of this year.

Then we have Sutil and also Liuzzi on surprising form, or is it just the Force India that is so brilliant?! Alguersuari seems to be coming of age and becomes a real threat to Buemi - do we have a second Alonso in the wings? And Petrov shows amazing promise, plus he is genuinely a nice bloke!

Senna and Chandok should not be underestimated, even if the car cannot do them any justice.

So who is your Top Seven for 2010?

Please chose your favorites and be kind enough to let us know why!

Sorry that I could not include every driver, as the poll form permits only 20 entries - having omitted di Grassi, Glock, de la Rosa and Kobayashi is very sad to me - maybe the designers of the BB could change the format to 24 or 26 options, so we can always include the whole field for such and similar "surveys".

I do not envy Peter Sauber and I admire his will not to give up - sadly he is not rewarded so far and will have a very difficult year - and I fear that his driver choice was not so smart this year... Glock is a jewel, very hard to put him or Trulli or Kovalainen in or out of the poll, they are quite equal IMHO, although they have different strengths. And sadly Nick Heidfeld is also not included for reasons we all know, he should be still Top 12 at this point.

The choices you and I make will also be interesting with regards to how the year develops...

Its seems you're getting confused between drivers and cars in your choice. Also if you image that it was Nico Rosberg got taken off and had a retirement instead of Michael then would you change your mind ? Too many peoples judgement clouded by circumstances and car performance for this to ever be accurate.

#14 sumpthy

sumpthy

• 290 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:54

Really? Kubica's ahead of Webber and dominating Schumacher in the championship standings whilst driving an inferior car. He's one of the stand out drivers so far. Of course its only three races in and I'm sure both will show their worth but it's hardly 'incomprehensible' right now.

#15 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:55

So is it allowed to chose other drivers than the 7 in the top of the championship right now? Or what else is actually the point of this poll/thread?

Sure it is "allowed", Lights!
Very polite of you to ask, it is just coincidental that at the moment the top seven are all 30+ points in the championship and genuinely seem to represent for some of us also the strongest drivers in the field.

The point is to find who are the seven drivers that get the most votes by us, the BB posters. It can be seen from the poll form, but also I will give a written update in a few days.
And also it will be interesting to see if what we now think are the seven strongest drivers, will change as the season progresses.

E.g. when Schumi finds his stride again and starts dominating mid-season, how many will say "Schumacher is the best!" as compared to now, when he is not fully on form yet.
What is fascinating to me is that last season Rubens Barrichello was regarded by many among the Top Ten of the pilots, whereas now in this poll so far he has only three votes, leaving him in equal second last position.

So our perception of the drivers and their capacities is not just influenced by our likes/dislikes but also by the car they have at their disposal, see e.g. Bruno Senna.

#16 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:57

Its seems you're getting confused between drivers and cars in your choice. Also if you image that it was Nico Rosberg got taken off and had a retirement instead of Michael then would you change your mind ? Too many peoples judgement clouded by circumstances and car performance for this to ever be accurate.

Exactly the point I was making to Lights!

We can get influenced easily by the cars at the disposal of the respective pilot.
Still, in my opinion, the current championship standings is also quite an accurate representation of the drivers capabilities at this point in time.

And this can change easily within a few months.

Who would have thought in 2005 that Kimi would be regarded as little as four years later by many as an inferior driver to Felipe Massa?!

#17 Lights

Lights

• 17,874 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 15:58

What is fascinating to me is that last season Rubens Barrichello was regarded by many among the Top Ten of the pilots, whereas now in this poll so far he has only three votes, leaving him in equal second last position.

Well, that's because he went from a front running team winning races to a midfield running team scoring points. In everybody's brain it means he has become a worse driver. It's how F1 fans work.

If Michael improves his performances, it means his car is improving.

So these kind of polls don't represent much IMO. But ah well.

The only thing I find interesting to see is that the current championship leader gets by far the least votes of the 'top 7'.

#18 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:02

So these kind of polls don't represent much IMO. But ah well.

Exactly.
And still we look into these polls, vote, enjoy them and are interested what others are thinking.
And some people are even instigated to join hefty discussions when other's opinions don't coincide with theirs...

The only thing I find interesting to see is that the current championship leader gets by far the least votes of the 'top 7'.

That is also surprising to me. If you look into the Alonso vs Massa thread you would think Felipe has gazillion fans!
But looking at how the Brazilian drivers are faring in general in this poll so far, probably the Brazilians are just enjoying their siesta - it is around noon there.

#19 Raincoat

Raincoat

• 775 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:04

Schumacher not in the top 7, a sad sight

Advertisement

#20 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:07

I wanted to go for the Top Seven, as they are at the moment more or less naturally established by having 30+ points each - and these are also my personal choices.
Yet I may be doing injustice to the fine showings of Sutil, Petrov, Liuzzi and Alquersuari...

So please shoot for the Top Seven and also include seven choice in the poll! Thanks!

Also a big thank you to the diligent moderator, who was kind enough to correct my wording in the second title of the poll - he did it within less than ten minutes without me having asked him, and he was even kind enough to change my wording in post #4 so it would make sense.

An invisible hand - unnoticed by most - and probably in many cases "unthanked".
Just has shown me that the mods are doing quite a bit more than we are commonly noticing.

#21 VicR

VicR

• 1,965 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:08

No perticular order.

Felipe
Alonso
Vettel
Button
Hamilton
Kubica
Sutil

Yes, no Michael (lost it, too old) and no Nico (see Michael for why).

Very close: Kobayashi, who isn't even in the poll, Webber and Jaime.

#22 GiancarloF1

GiancarloF1

• 925 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:13

It's waay too early for these kind of rankings, anything can happen in the future. So far, Schumacher is partly disappointing, and very unlucky, but I think at the end of the season his stock will rise again with a few standout races.

So far my picks:

1. Hamilton - he is clearly the guy to watch on track. What he has done in OZ and Sepang is true gold.
2. Vettel - easily the fastest driver this year, and could lead with 75 points by now. Hopefully he can turn his luck around in the upcoming races.
3. Alonso - doing a very good job with the new car, and has done a great job on all 3 races.
4. Massa - underrated, but doing well. He trailed Hamilton in Sepang, had a great start in OZ, and outqualifyed Alonso in Bahrain. Strong start after recovering of a near fatal accident.
5. Kubica - his car is not as bad as many thinks, but he had 2 unexpectedly great races.
6. Rosberg - he is doing a better job, than Schumi now, and had a strong result in Sepang.
7. Alguersuari - he improved a lot after last year.

Disappointments are Webber (as a driver) and Sauber (as a team).

#23 Crazy Ninja

Crazy Ninja

• 1,379 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:15

I went with (in nor particular order):

Alonso
Vettel
Hamilton
Button
Kubica
Rosberg
Sutil (if was between him of Liuzzi. Malaysia i can remember, Melbourne i cannot. Thus Sutil gets the vote)

I think Alonso has done exceptionally well this year with only 1 out of 3 race weekends going well for him, yet he still managed to get on the gearbox if Massa in Oz + keep on his gearbox in Sepang and even challenge Button (though admittedly his tyres were wrecked.)

Vettel: Title race is bewteen him + Alonso i reckon. Though we still have to wait and see how this new points system will pan out. I was surprised to see the top 5 or 6 so close in the standings, even though it is only the 3rd race. More than ever, reliability for Seb + Alonso will be crucial.

Hamilton: Three great drives so far. Tactically out done by Button in Oz but i admire his agression. Always flat out, maybe that's a weakness but i love it.

Button: Slow start in Bahrain. Did not expect him to out qualify Lewis at the 2nd race. Great call/gamble to win the race aswell. Did well in Sepang to finish 8th and keep the tyres in reasonable shape. Will beat Lewis on occasions during the season but i think Lewis will have the bigger points haul come November.

Kubica: Where would he have finished in Bahrain if it werent for that collision with Sutil? Im guessing it was a good recovery in Bahrain (we never really saw it on tv!) Great race in Oz. Great race in Speang. As ever, you cannot know for sure how much it's the car and how much it's the driver but i think if you put Kubica in Rosberg's Merc and he would have dropped Rosberg for dead in Sepang (if you follow my logic).

Sutil: I think he's took a while to do it, but he's maturing in F1 now. Maybe not out and out the fastest driver on the grid but he's improved so much since 07. Will definitely score a lot of points this season.

#24 skipper

skipper

• 82 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:19

Top seven:

Alonso
Vettel
Kubica
Hamilton
Button
Rosberg
Webber

#25 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:29

Really? Kubica's ahead of Webber and dominating Schumacher in the championship standings whilst driving an inferior car. He's one of the stand out drivers so far. Of course its only three races in and I'm sure both will show their worth but it's hardly 'incomprehensible' right now.

Renault is an inferior car? Don't say; I didn't know that, but I have noticed everything what Kubica drives seems to be marked as "inferior".

Edited by MiPe, 05 April 2010 - 16:30.

#26 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:32

Kubica: Where would he have finished in Bahrain if it werent for that collision with Sutil? Im guessing it was a good recovery in Bahrain (we never really saw it on tv!) Great race in Oz. Great race in Speang. As ever, you cannot know for sure how much it's the car and how much it's the driver but i think if you put Kubica in Rosberg's Merc and he would have dropped Rosberg for dead in Sepang (if you follow my logic).

This fan thinks that Renault is currently either on the par are ahead of Mercedes.

#27 Juan Kerr

Juan Kerr

• 3,151 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:32

I'd love to know what the intelligence is behind blaming Schumacher for his wheel failure and for being crashed into by Button/Alonso. Rosberg performanced a slight bit better in Bahrain there are no other comparisons yet regarding the championship.

#28 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:37

Renault is an inferior car? Don't say; I didn't know that, but I have noticed everything what Kubica drives seems to be marked as "inferior".

I have noticed that everything what Kubica drives is marked by you as a top car, that is underperformed by him :)

#29 undersquare

undersquare

• 18,929 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:39

The standout guys for me are
Hamilton - a couple of weak qualies but star of the show the rest of the time.
Kubica - Renault is a proper race team and far better for him than the namby-pamby BMW Sauber lot. Good to see his determination being appreciated.
Alonso - class. Remarkable drive so we hardly noticed the car problems.

After that...
Vettel - driving the fastest car well
Alersuari - coming of age, good to see
Sutil - making good use of a good car
Rosberg - hard to judge but I'm simply enjoying seeing him beat Michael :blush:

Nearly included Jense for riding his luck so well and lapping well on his own, but his early laps in Sepang were just a bit Kovy-esque. On reflection I've discounted his win a little too - so lucky not to lose his front wing in T1, to get back on after going off, Vettel breaking down, Kubi holding everyone else up...
Massa has mainly got in the way, while being coached about exit speed, no idea why he has so many votes!

#30 Rockets

Rockets

• 148 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:42

Hamilton
and others...

#31 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:42

I have noticed that everything what Kubica drives is marked by you as a top car, that is underperformed by him :)

What you derive from my post is your business, but while on this subject, how do you know it's not so? I have seen this Russian guy who came in like yesterday, and he was probably giving to Hamster fits last race (in that so called inferior car), as much as I could detect.

Edited by MiPe, 05 April 2010 - 16:43.

#32 alecc

alecc

• 2,191 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:47

What you derive from my post is your business, but while on this subject, how do you know it's not so? I have seen this Russian guy who came in like yesterday, and he was probably giving to Hamster fits last race (in that so called inferior car), as much as I could detect.

All right, so if the Petrov-Hamilton fight is indicating, that Renault is on McLaren's pace, so the Sutil-Hamilton "fight", would indicate, that ForceIndia is the faster car than McLaren?

#33 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,720 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:53

Based on their performance so far, my picks was, in random order; Hamilton, Vettel, Webber, Alonso, Button, Kubica and Rosberg.
Have to say Kovalainen has made very good impression too, and probably deserves an honourable mention, having looked quicker than Trulli so far. But it's hard to say for sure really, 'cause I have not payed attention to them on live-timing. When it comes to drivers at the bottom of the grid I can only base my opinion on the fastest laps set in qualifying and the races.

-Edit - to clarify, even if I brought up Kovalainen, I wouldn't rate his performance ahead of say Sutil, Barrichello and Schumacher for instance.

Edited by race addicted, 05 April 2010 - 17:37.

#34 stonebutter

stonebutter

• 697 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 16:57

This fan thinks that Renault is currently either on the par are ahead of Mercedes.

Well that makes 1 of you. :lol:

#35 EthanM

EthanM

• 4,819 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 17:01

Mine, in alphabetical order

Alguersuari
Alonso
Button
Hamilton
Kubica
Rosberg
Vettel

Massa doesn't make it in the list because I just get this feeling he's happy enough staying a few car lengths ahead of Alonso and doesn't seem to be able (or willing) to force a pass (stark contrast to hamilton)

Schu doesn't make it cause ... he's driving solid races a few tenths slower than Nico, it's nice, but not enough to make it stellar. Same applies to Webber.

Honorable mentions from the newbies for Petrov (quite decent car control, must be all that Ice racing) and Hulkenberg.

#36 aditya-now

aditya-now

• 7,447 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 17:03

It's waay too early for these kind of rankings, anything can happen in the future.

You are right, no question about it.

Yet the first three races have traditionally been a first chance to look at the balance of power for the year shaping up.

These first three races usually have no major modifications on the cars but give still a valid outlook on the season ahead. They have been the three "away" races - nevermind it is nowadays already four "away" races for the European based teams, with China yet to come - the season is solid on the way with the first three races.

And it is partly surprising how the season has shaped up so far, not least of all the strong showing of Rosberg, Sutil and Alquersari and the fact that Michael is nowadays regarded even in German media as the "fourth German driver", which is painful in a way. Still it shows that F1 is not sleeping and is the pinnacle of motorsport - even one of the greatest drivers in history can become outdated with regards to F1 by simply staying away for three years....

Another time to look into the current Top Seven would be at the end of the first European leg come June.

#37 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 17:04

All right, so if the Petrov-Hamilton fight is indicating, that Renault is on McLaren's pace, so the Sutil-Hamilton "fight", would indicate, that ForceIndia is the faster car than McLaren?

In some situations, and under proper set-up it could be close. So close, that without some timing device and more data we cannot detect difference. Besides, McLaren had to synch its pace. Point however is, that you cannot nilly willy dismiss Renault as an inferior car. Inferior to what..? It has a winnig engine on it, and Petrov move that thing pretty swiftly around. Now, consider Petrov v. Hamilton, and what you get? Put in the same car Alonso, and situation would be again different.

#38 stonebutter

stonebutter

• 697 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 17:08

In some situations, and under proper set-up it could be close. So close, that without some timing device and more data we cannot detect difference. Besides, McLaren had to synch its pace. Point however is, that you cannot nilly willy dismiss Renault as an inferior car. Inferior to what..? It has a winnig engine on it, and Petrov move that thing pretty swiftly around. Now, consider Petrov v. Hamilton, and what you get? Put in the same car Alonso, and situation would be again different.

MiPe's logic: if robert kubica is driving, then the car is superior machinery

If a german is driving, then the car is a dog that only the might of a german superstar can drag across the line in first while eating bratwurst and singing the Das Deutschlandlied and not using any hands to steer the car.

His posts are a lot more enjoyable and funny if you just accept him for what he is.

Edited by stonebutter, 05 April 2010 - 17:09.

#39 majkel

majkel

• 271 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 17:11

If a german is driving, then the car is a dog that only the might of a german superstar can drag across the line in first while eating bratwurst and singing the Das Deutschlandlied and not using any hands to steer the car.

His posts are a lot more enjoyable and funny if you just accept him for what he is.

You cannot REALLY accept what he is.

Advertisement

#40 fat.monkey

fat.monkey

• 129 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 17:14

+100

#41 Messi10

Messi10

• 885 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 17:31

vettel. I have not seen any weakness from vettel this year so far.

alonso. After the last two races where he\'s had to fight through the pack to be only 2 points from the leader says it all.

kubica. This dude is the real deal, give him a top car and he\'ll be a wdc in no time.

lewis. Could be higher but he failed to make the top 10 in Australia Q. Best overtaker and fighter on the grid.

alguersuari: this kid is only 20 and has impressed everyone.

sutil. Is it the car that is that good or is he putting this car on places where it shouldn\'t be?

massa. Leading the championship.

#42 Coral

Coral

• 6,727 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 17:46

I voted for Hamilton, Alonso, Massa, Button, Kubica, Vettel, Rosberg.

Hamilton and Alonso are for me the best drivers in F1 at the moment.

Vettel comes next as he is good but I think there is still room for improvement.

Button and Massa come next, as I think they are slightly below top class but they are driving great cars. Level with them are Kubica and Rosberg who are getting good results with cars which I believe are just below the best.

#43 bourbon

bourbon

• 7,265 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 17:58

Top 7: (MSC not counted because he is a wait and see proposition.)

1. Alonso. Due to his cheating and lying past, I no longer respect Fernando as an individual and to the extent that is related to him as a driver. I didn't like the way Ferrari brought him in and zonked Raikkonen as if he were some stand in like Fisi (and they kept Fisi on for gods sakes) - but this was not Fernando's fault, still I resent him for that. I hate his tarzan celebration when he wins and I resented renault's reliability in 2005, resenting that he took the 2nd WDC without a real fight. But again, not his fault. Even though I can't stop the honest resentment I hold for Alonso - he is a double world champion, an incredibly skilled driver and overall only second (in my opinion) to Raikkonen in overall talent/experience. So he would rank #1 - although I am not cheering for him at all. All of that said, despite my dislike and lack of respect for this driver - there were certain times during his career that his driving left me smiling from ear to ear and served as an inspiration like the others (SUZ 2005 comes to mind) - also, on the field (driving) he is to me a very very fair and honest competitor unless he is treated unfairly himself first and I do respect that. I also like that he is honest in his assessments related to driving. So these factors help keep some objectivity in my assessment of Alonso, but his major adventures in lying and cheating have killed my admiration for him in an overall sense to a great degree.

2. Vettel. Pure raw talent and potential has this newcomer in 2nd. He lacks experience that will likely cause him headaches initially - but if he is forced to drive this year rather than ride the front, then I believe he will quickly avail himself of the necessary experience to manifest his talent (this like Alonso, Raikkonen, Senna, etc.) He replaced Raikkonen as my driver to root for once the former went off to Rally. Like Raikkonen, Vettel is an exception to the rule for me. Normally you must have a WDC under your belt for me to give you an appreciable ranking. But both these drivers wowed me from the start, so with 2nd in WDC, both got my nod for the shunt upward in ranking in 2003/2009 respectively.

3. Button. I always lumped Jenson in with Heidfeld, Webber, David C, Barrichello, Massa and the rest, who if given a good car could come close to or even obtain a WDC (with a lot of luck - meaning the rest of the field in poor cars, etc like in Jenson's WDC year). With the exception of Massa (whose overconfidence works the same problem for him as it is greater than his ability), I think that these guys mainly lack confidence - and special talent. But I think in Jenson's case, he has always had a bit more of both than the rest of those I named and the WDC and his subsequent win, helped him in that regard even more. He's not going to pull dirty moves like his teammate, and he hasn't the raw talent of the sort that amazes like Vettel or Alonso or Raikkonen - but he is more of a steady eddie driver that is a cut above the rest of the middle of the road "very good" drivers. I am not a Button fan at all. I couldn't care less if he winds up in last place behind the HRT drivers - but objectively speaking, I believe he is the genuine article and current top of the line steady eddy drivers.

4. Hamilton. Due to his lying and what I feel are cheating tactics, I don't feel I have been able to get a good fix on his true talent and ability. I do know that he is courageous and sometimes downright fearless in his driving and he has shown some skill as well. The problem is, when you cheat - meaning when you break the "gentlemen's rules of the field" and do the unaccepted among drivers, the response can be varied. First because driver's react distinctly in the moment to moves that give unfair advantage - but interestingly, the current lot do not retaliate in kind - meaning they do not mimick Hamilton's chicane jumping or running him off the road or weaving in front to day and sudden stops tomorrow and such in order to balance out this advantage Hamilton has figured for himself. So how good is Hamilton without all of the dirty tricks? I really don't know. For me, "winning IS NOT winning". For me, fairplay and sportsmanship is VERY important. And YES this applies to those drivers of old I will not name. I cannot make an assessment, I do know that in Sepang 2010, when Hamilton was forced by the Stewards to cool his jets in his battle with Sutil, he didn't seem to be able to find a way past... So he is tentatively 4th as a WDC, I have to credit him with having some talent - I just cannot gauge it correctly due to his methodology/behavior on the tarmac.

5. The Reluctant Gentlemen Champion: Nico Rosberg. The most underrated driver EVER! This quiet, non-attention calling driver is so consistent, you could set your clock to his timing. He was ignorable at P8 and under where he was consistently in that ranking. Most continued to ignore him at P8-6/lucky 5 and he was pretty consistently there as well. And he is still rather ignored as he has begun slipping in 4/5 regularly and a more recent 3. With a better car, his qually is improving as well. The thing is, Rosberg doesn't tend to slip backward - he just quietly keeps his head in an expected region. He only poses a minimal threat to most other drivers still, except on rare occassion, but the dog fighting ability has begun to shine through which is great to see. I have very very high expectations for this kid, but it is going to take time. I think there are those working to push him into it all a bit quicker, and I hope that works. He will be as steady a champ as he has been on the way up I would imagine, giving Vettel and others a time of it in the future. We'll see. But for now, I see him as sharing a legitimate 5th.

5. Kubica. In a tie with the Reluctant Champ. His natural fearlessness matched with his very very fair and righteous manner of driving is going to not only see him as champ one day in my view, but also as a very hearalded one. He is not really under or over rated, although at times he does get overlooked. He is a little more gun ho than Nico, but that can work for or against, depending - so they are about even in position for me.

(Rosberg/Kubica are actually 5/6 equally - so that leaves:)

7. A mixed bag of any given Sunday drivers. Massa, Webber, Barrichello, possibly the Hulk - they could all find their way to the front of a race and in a podium position on any given Sunday. All are highly overrated by some, but have proven themselves to be good drivers overall (except the Hulk, he's about that just now and doing fairly well considering everything).

In conclusion, I only have a top 6 of current drivers on the F1 tarmac. The rest are like so many talented men at the ready equally able to take the 7th position - and a cut above those I left unnamed - up and coming talents that will be decided on in the future.

Edited by bourbon, 05 April 2010 - 18:45.

#44 Sakae

Sakae

• 19,256 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 18:09

That's your spin. Show me a single post when I have stated something like that? In some case I have suggested there was more than was perhaps extracted, and you need to undestand what it actually means. With Renault I am not ready yet to accept that it is an inferior car. It is an opinon, nothing more, nothing else.

You Sir are an i**t. Show me a single post when I have stated something like that?

Who am I? Why don't you tell us.

Edited by MiPe, 05 April 2010 - 18:09.

#45 Cenotaph

Cenotaph

• 2,390 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 18:17

the top 7 drivers are the top 7 in the poll

Felipe Massa
Fernando Alonso
Sebastian Vettel
Jenson Button
Nico Rosberg
Lewis Hamilton
Robert Kubica

:p

#46 OwenC93

OwenC93

• 1,850 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 18:19

1.Lewis Hamilton
2.Fernando Alonso
3.Sebastian Vettel
4.Jenson Button
5.Robert Kubica
6.Felipe Massa
7.Adrian Sutil

#47 Trust

Trust

• 5,153 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 18:27

Vettel, Hamilton and Alonso TOP3. And If Schumi is back he'll be fourth.
Right now everyone else is behind them.

#48 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 18:41

People voting for Alguersuari are a proof that "you're only as good as your last race". Ok, he's beaten Buemi the previous 2 races as well, but how can that possibly be enough to put him ahead of the likes of Felipe Massa, Mark Webber, Jenson Button? I mean he's done 3 good races and that's it, have you checked his qualifying times? Maybe one day he'll be that good but surely not now.

IMO:
World class - Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel
Near world class - Kubica, Button, Massa, Webber, Rosberg
World class one day, maybe soon again? - Schumacher

That leaves me with 2 drivers to drop. I'm afraid at this moment I'll drop Webber and Schumacher, but that is more a reflection of how this season has unfolded so far, than a conviction they're really any worse than the rest of the bunch over a longer amount of races.

I also don't think Sutil is that good, he can be sometimes as quick as some of the guys on my list but is far more inconsistent.

Edited by paranoik0, 05 April 2010 - 18:43.

#49 MortenF1

MortenF1

• 23,720 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 18:51

I've done my ratings based on performance so far this year, and not on their general talent. On that basis I can understand how some would want to vote for Alguersari.

#50 noikeee

noikeee

• 23,177 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 19:05

I've done my ratings based on performance so far this year, and not on their general talent. On that basis I can understand how some would want to vote for Alguersari.

Yeah I've misunderstood the topic a little, just re-read the first post. Bit early in the season to be doing this, though.