Photo

Historic F1 fan? Get to Mallory Park every Wednesday morning!

• Please log in to reply
2943 replies to this topic

#2401 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 12:54

You could say that :)

Advertisement

#2402 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 21:32

A few more shots of Mr Mitchell!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2403 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 12:46

Ive got to make most of my Wednesdays at Mallory now, it is time to look for a better job as I am not liking my night shifts. So weekday photography may be no more.

Lets make the next month a good one :)

#2404 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:02

I have heard a rumour from a usually reliable source that Mallory is going to lose it's unsilenced (unofficially) Wednesday morning testing (well, at least 3 out of every 4 weeks) due to local resident's complaints. Gatmo, tell us more please? :eek:

#2405 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 493 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 13:58

If thats true, that might help !
Have seen it on the VSCC forum, but good to know that not everytime motorsport is the loser.

#2406 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,375 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:26

If thats true, that might help !
Have seen it on the VSCC forum, but good to know that not everytime motorsport is the loser.

Ah yes, Mildenhall, such a quiet place: home to both the RAF and the USAF. I think they don't have silencers on the F16s etc. :rolleyes:

#2407 Ralf Pickel

Ralf Pickel

• 493 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 16:41

It´s merely a whisper in the night....

#2408 delta44

delta44

• 104 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 18:38

I out testing tomorrow and Mallory have asked me to silence the car as its a 105DB day.Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Never mind first Mallory test this year and I am looking forward to breakfast.Thats a Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. : :)

#2409 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 19:37

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2011-03-23

Having driven his Lola & Trojan extensively over many seasons, Simon Hadfield met Sid Taylor for the first time at Race Retro last Friday....

Posted Image
By giraffe138 at 2012-02-28

#2410 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 20:13

A few pictures and a breakfast meeting with Mr Arron signified my 2012 debut.....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

....my car got lost coming off the M6 :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

#2411 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 20:28

....my car got lost coming off the M6 :)

PAR

Must be a NASCAR. Keeps on turning left :)

#2412 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,470 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 21:49

Posted Image

How does he see where he is going, the helmet looks too high on his head.

Edited by Bloggsworth, 29 February 2012 - 21:50.

#2413 delta44

delta44

• 104 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:00

I was looking after the little blue Elva FJ. Great shot Phil.I have fitted a new roll hoop over the Winter you can see the driver now has a good two inches from the top of his helmet to roll hoop.I have never known a Mallory Wednesday morning to be so poorly supported.Hope this is not the sign of things to come this year.

#2414 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:10

:down: 2 weeks in a row I have now made the right decision to not turn up.

Maybe Donington on the 8th maybe give a bit more...

Edited by thebullet, 29 February 2012 - 22:11.

#2415 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,375 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 22:52

How does he see where he is going, the helmet looks too high on his head.

I'm reasonably sure that the driver should have been in school when this photo was taken.

Was there not some mention of an F5000-specific test day? Did I dream that, or if not, any update? :)

#2416 delta44

delta44

• 104 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 06:13

I'm reasonably sure that the driver should have been in school when this photo was taken.
Errrr unless the driver is a teacher.I was impressed with his driving must be one of the fastest pensioners around.

#2417 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,375 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:38

Errrr unless the driver is a teacher.I was impressed with his driving must be one of the fastest pensioners around.

:) Modern helmets are so much bigger than they used to be. :)

#2418 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 16:56

Can't really add much to the estimable Mr R's previous post, but here are two more snaps of James Owen's Elva.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here, meanwhile, is another glorious antique.
Posted Image

And talking of folk who should probably still be at school...
Posted Image

#2419 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,707 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 17:15

Apart from the Elva, the Manx Norton, Mr Arron and Mr Rainford, not a lot of nostalgia there this week, chaps?

Advertisement

#2420 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 19:17

Apart from the Elva, the Manx Norton, Mr Arron and Mr Rainford, not a lot of nostalgia there this week, chaps?

Not really...... apart from a long chat about Mike Thackwell :)

PAR

#2421 Simon Arron

Simon Arron

• 2,259 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 19:25

Eggs, chips, beans and a pint of tea cost £4.50. That's quite nostalgic.

#2422 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 20:36

Eggs, chips, beans and a pint of tea cost £4.50. That's quite nostalgic.

The "budget" veggie option for Mr. Arron, of course. :up:

#2423 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:20

http://mallorypark.c...=...s&Itemid=84

They are even having to change the routes in and out of the circuit for meetings now...

Dear oh dear...

#2424 Giraffe

Giraffe

• 7,011 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:38

Mallory Park was probably operating as a motor sports venue long before the people who are complaining were born. :well:

#2425 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:13

Mallory Park was probably operating as a motor sports venue long before the people who are complaining were born. :well:

Or person??

PAR

#2426 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:36

They moved in knowing full well there is a motoracing circuit alongside which will clearly bring noise.

Some people just think they can moan about anything...

#2427 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,707 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:58

Some people just think they can moan about anything...

And, seemingly, get away with it.

#2428 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 14:19

And, seemingly, get away with it.

Unless it's something really antisocial like a nuclear power station.... ):
Amazing how hundreds and thousands of protests can then be totally ignored by the powers-that-be.

#2429 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 15:33

I have been told today it is only 10 people...

and it is all the older folk, don't they want to see these amazing cars?

I have been told by a local villager and photographer that there is a campaign and website being setup for those who want to go against the village... I will keep you informed...

I am in!

#2430 Ian Smith - Diz

Ian Smith - Diz

• 425 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 17:25

If I am correct in identifying him, I suppose he could be classed as somebody who has worked in an education area.
I think he is Simon Davey, a long time FF1600 driver and nowadays the main man at the Monoposto Club.
The loose education link being that he ran a racing drivers seminar at Race Retro.

#2431 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 17:28

If I am correct in identifying him, I suppose he could be classed as somebody who has worked in an education area.
I think he is Simon Davey, a long time FF1600 driver and nowadays the main man at the Monoposto Club.
The loose education link being that he ran a racing drivers seminar at Race Retro.

Without doubt there is a Monoposto sticker on the car.....and he was not hanging around :)

PAR

#2432 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 17:51

Seen here at Race Retro.

Posted Image

#2433 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 18:00

And the same car at Oulton last year....

Posted Image

PAR

#2434 Cirrus

Cirrus

• 1,534 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 19:00

There's been a recent case in Suffolk where common sense seems to have prevailed...

A Suffolk motor sports stadium has won its appeal against a couple who bought a house nearby and sued over the noise.

Raymond Shields and Katherine Lawrence said they were unaware Mildenhall stadium was 500 yards away when they moved to West Row in 2006.

They won £20,000 in damages from the stadium at the High Court last year, but the Appeal Court has overturned that decision.

The couple was ordered to pay £85,000 interim legal costs by the court.

The stadium is used for Mildenhall Fen Tigers speedway meetings, stock car racing and motocross, as well as for greyhound racing, and planning permission dates back to 1975.

At the High Court hearing last year, the couple were awarded the £20,000 in their nuisance case against the stadium's owners and operators.

'Tiddlywinks and greyhounds'

Lord Justice Jackson, one of three judges in court, said: "The outcome of this litigation will be a disaster for the claimants, a fact which I regret.

"On the other hand, their predicament is a consequence of their decision to purchase a house in an area where motor sports were an established activity.

"The noise of motor sports emanating from the track are an established part of the character of the locality."

The couple's lawyers had argued that the noise from the stadium drove them out of their garden, forced them to change the layout of their home and to erect a wall made of straw bales around their home.

Speaking after the decision, David Coventry, one of the the stadium's owners, said: "This time last year I was faced with a draft judgement along the lines that restrictions would be so severe that we wouldn't be able to stage anything other than the quietest of things like tiddlywinks and greyhounds and we were facing £1m in costs.

The operators of Mildenhall Stadium should be applauded for having the guts to appeal the original decision. Could this sudden outbreak of common sense set a precedent?

Edited by Cirrus, 02 March 2012 - 19:02.

#2435 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:59

How can you complain about the noise made from this :confused:

Posted Image

PAR

Edited by Phil Rainford, 03 March 2012 - 10:00.

#2436 RTH

RTH

• 5,734 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 10:05

Pity GP cars don't look a bit more like that today instead of sharp spikes sticking out in all directions.

#2437 eurocardoc

eurocardoc

• 148 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:05

Pity GP cars don't look a bit more like that today instead of sharp spikes sticking out in all directions.

Or sound like it! In those days the sound would tell you how hard working those engine parts were.....

#2438 Pink Snail

Pink Snail

• 520 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:22

I think I have mentioned this before somewhere, but I was talking to a lad at Brands Hatch a couple of years ago. He lives on the estate at the edge of the circuit out in the woods near Dingle Dell. The residents in West Kingsdown are all offered complimentary gate passes each year to attend whatever events they like :love: . He has used it to his advantage and started a photography business and has done well out of it :up: .
If someone wants to move near a circuit that`s their choice :rolleyes: . They should be made aware of cases like the one above before trying to stop a circuit operating :evil: . There have been noise issues with Donington but it`s next to EMA...what is that all about :well: . Just give them earplugs :p !!

#2439 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:59

There's been a recent case in Suffolk where common sense seems to have prevailed...
The operators of Mildenhall Stadium should be applauded for having the guts to appeal the original decision. Could this sudden outbreak of common sense set a precedent?

English law is based very heavily on such precedents "M'Lud I refer to the case of The Crown vs Natpole 1897..." and all that. Hence the endless need for 'test cases' to establish to official line on anything.

Lord Justice Jackson's very sensible and logical comments "...their predicament is a consequence of their decision to purchase a house in an area where motor sports were an established activity....The noise of motor sports emanating from the track are an established part of the character of the locality." will literally become enshrined in law and referred to in future cases. Good on him.

That's not to say they won't be argued against, of course, lawyers are good at creating their own workload, but the comments and the judgement are in themselves a positive step for any case involving established businesses/venues/events threatened by 'new arrivals' who try and close them down to suit their own ends at everyone else's expense/jobs/enjoyment.

Advertisement

#2440 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,470 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:09

A yuppie couple moved into a village in the middle of the country, I can't remember where, and immediately started complaining about a rookery in a nearby field, saying that the noise disturbed their peace when they sat in the garden of a weekend. They took the farmer to court demanding the trees be cut down so thet the rooks would move elsewhere. The judge asked them how long they had lived in the village:

"Two years my Lord"

The judge told them:

"Well - I see that the rooks have lived in that copse since the writing of the Doomsday Book in 1086; when you have lived here as long as they have, do come back and talk to me..."

#2441 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 10:58

A yuppie couple moved into a village in the middle of the country, I can't remember where, and immediately started complaining about a rookery in a nearby field, saying that the noise disturbed their peace when they sat in the garden of a weekend. They took the farmer to court demanding the trees be cut down so thet the rooks would move elsewhere. The judge asked them how long they had lived in the village:

"Two years my Lord"

The judge told them:

"Well - I see that the rooks have lived in that copse since the writing of the Doomsday Book in 1086; when you have lived here as long as they have, do come back and talk to me..."

There was a famous case involving the wife of a wealthy, very successful ex BTCC front runner some years ago who moved with their newly realized millions to the country and disliked the distributance to their peace and quiet from a nearby farm. The judge pointed out that farms were, by their nature, noisy and smelly! The lady in question replied something along the lines of " I know! And it's really most inconvenient"

Anyway I guess we are wandering well OT with this at the moment. Good luck to all at Mallory who seek to ply their long established and legitimate trade un-hindered. :up:

#2442 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:07

I think it was the excrement deposited on the road by livestock that was the cause of complaint in that instance

#2443 john aston

john aston

• 821 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 18:44

Hoping to call in for breakfast next wednesday morning ; any info on who or what I might see? Apart from a :yawnface: large plate of bacon and eggs ...

#2444 Alan Cox

Alan Cox

• 7,707 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 19:42

Possibly some historics, with Masters Oulton coming up next weekend.

#2445 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 00:18

Simon mentioned to me that he will be there if the weather is dry!

I will be anyway :)

#2446 delta44

delta44

• 104 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 18:00

I am glad I did not go last Wednesday,All being well look forward to a Mallory breakfast this coming week. I guess it might be busy.I had better book up on Monday.

#2447 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,290 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 08:03

Plenty of cars, sun and Messers Arron and Barrington in attendance yesterday.......great fun :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

PAR

#2448 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:51

Wot's RYO9?

#2449 alansart

alansart

• 4,016 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:58

Wot's RYO9?

It's a Lotus MK VI with an all enveloping aluminium body.

#2450 Tim Murray

Tim Murray

• 14,442 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 10:40

I believe this is the car currently owned by Jack Taylor. It's a 1953 Lotus VI with a 1466 cc MG TC engine, de Dion rear axle and body designed by the original owner and made by Williams & Pritchard.