Photo

Historic F1 fan? Get to Mallory Park every Wednesday morning!

• Please log in to reply
2932 replies to this topic

#2651 mfd

mfd

• 2,877 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 11:34

I though that would just be prop-helmets rather than the real deal?

http://bellhelmets.e...starclassic.php

Advertisement

#2652 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 12:35

Thanks Matthew :up:

Looked like all was back to normal :)

PAR

#2653 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 13:07

Thanks Matthew :up:

Looked like all was back to normal :)

PAR

Apart from a man with a DB reader :/

#2654 delta44

delta44

• 104 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 17:54

Ah well,One week its Monaco with all its glitz and glamor but for now its back to good old Mallory and the real world.See you tomorrow.

#2655 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,887 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 18:43

Apart from a man with a DB reader :/

What's the current situation regarding noise?
We've got something to test that might be noisy and is rather hard to silence!

#2656 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 22:16

They now check the noise level, not sure on the level. Simon last week had the B37 there, he did a couple of laps at slow pace which was enough to check everything was working.

#2657 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:23

The ocassional "IF I WIN THE LOTTERY" suggestion....

As it's a nice big triple-quadruple-double-decker-rollover this week, with a jackpot of £50m or so, here's my suggestion, should any TNF'r be lucky enough to scoop to lot -

Offer a couple of million as a prize for anyone who can develop a noise-blocking system which can be installed at the boundaries of any circuit . Some sort of sci-fi force-field thingy would be ideal.

Such a system could then be installed at any sporting or concert venue and make the inventor (and sponsor!) awefully rich while allowing those inside the venue to enjoy full volume and stopping those outside from a/moaning and b/ hearing concerts without paying!

Now where is my ticket....

#2658 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,887 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:39

The ocassional "IF I WIN THE LOTTERY" suggestion....

As it's a nice big triple-quadruple-double-decker-rollover this week, with a jackpot of £50m or so, here's my suggestion, should any TNF'r be lucky enough to scoop to lot -

Offer a couple of million as a prize for anyone who can develop a noise-blocking system which can be installed at the boundaries of any circuit . Some sort of sci-fi force-field thingy would be ideal.

Such a system could then be installed at any sporting or concert venue and make the inventor (and sponsor!) awefully rich while allowing those inside the venue to enjoy full volume and stopping those outside from a/moaning and b/ hearing concerts without paying!

Now where is my ticket....

Something like the noise cancelling system you can get on headphones?
I think they use a microphone to record the outside noise and then play the inverse of it, which cancels it out...

I have a vague recollection of being told a long time ago about a loud factory that had some kind of active noise cancelling system.

#2659 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:49

I think they use a microphone to record the outside noise and then play the inverse of it, which cancels it out...

I have a vague recollection of being told a long time ago about a loud factory that had some kind of active noise cancelling system.

Thats exactly it!

Seems to be an invention with enormous commercial potential in this modern world.

Now if there is already a practical system one wonders if the likes of BCE , Dr Palmer and Lord March have looked into it? All would surely benefit greatly in the long term.

As would we!

Advertisement

#2660 Duc-Man

Duc-Man

• 1,054 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:43

I read an article about anti- or counter-noise some years back.
I'm not sure if that would work in 'the open nature' compared to a closed building like a factory hall. Should be worth the try in my opinion.

#2661 arttidesco

arttidesco

• 5,626 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:47

IIRC a similar system was developed for Jaguar jet fighter pilots back in the day.

#2662 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 11:39

IIRC a similar system was developed for Jaguar jet fighter pilots back in the day.

I wonder if it 'scales-up' ?

#2663 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 15:29

I was told today, that the moaning woman on the outside of the esses in her house, bought her house throught that TV show, 'Location Location Location' they also said that on the show she said she is going to enjoy living by the circuit, well that turned out to be a load of rubbish!

#2664 mariner

mariner

• 1,358 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 16:32

Its a bit OT but Lotus Enginering ( the consultancy business) worked on something called " anti -noise" a while back. Basically you used the speakers inside the car to cancel out car noise without heavy sound proofing.

I think the engineer was Malcom MacDonald.

I don't know what became of it but very Lotus/Chapman " somethiong for nothing" and " use one component to do two jobs"

#2665 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 18:11

I was told today, that the moaning woman on the outside of the esses in her house, bought her house throught that TV show, 'Location Location Location' they also said that on the show she said she is going to enjoy living by the circuit, well that turned out to be a load of rubbish!

Not necessarily.....she might enjoy moaning :|

PAR

#2666 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,327 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 21:41

White noise.

S_x(\omega) = \frac{\Pi_{k=1}^{N} (c_k - j \omega)(c^{*}_k + j \omega)}{\Pi_{k=1}^{D} (d_k - j \omega)(d^{*}_k + j \omega)}.

You'll have to speak up; I'm a trifle.

#2667 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 22:45

A visitor...

Posted Image

#2668 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,887 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:53

Perhaps it would be simpler to install a system to counteract her moaning rather than the engine noise.

It's hard to imagine a programme about estate agents being anything other than completely truthful!

#2669 Peter Morley

Peter Morley

• 1,887 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:09

I read an article about anti- or counter-noise some years back.
I'm not sure if that would work in 'the open nature' compared to a closed building like a factory hall. Should be worth the try in my opinion.

I had a quick websearch on active noise cancellation - it is a reasonably well established business these days.

Apart from creating the inverse of the sound (easy) the problem is you have to replay it at the same volume as the original, presumably something like Motorhead's PA system might be enough but you would need to project it in all directions, so several large PA systems might be needed...
The weird thing is that by making twice as much noise you actually reduce the perceived amount of noise!

One upside of having to use huge PA systems is that it might increase the quality of the commentary over the tannoy, saying which I was told that somewhere discovered the erratic noise from the tannoy system caused more disturbance than the vehicles.

As Goodwood discovered there are things you can do about it (sound banks) problem is none of them are cheap and I suspect somewhere like Mallory doesn't have a huge budget for such things and track days with road cars that already meet the noise rules and don't require track staff are far more profitable.

#2670 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:33

The problem is you have to replay it at the same volume as the original, presumably something like Motorhead's PA system might be enough but you would need to project it in all directions, so several large PA systems might be needed...

Clearly what Mallory needs is a benefactor who's a generously minded, well-heeled, proper motor racing enthusiast with a connection to the stadium rock business......

Now that sounds like at least two people we know :wave:

#2671 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:47

A visitor...

Posted Image

Now I would make a serious complaint about that !! :)

Phil Rainford
UK National Accounts Sales Manager Pirelli Tyres Ltd

Edited by Phil Rainford, 24 May 2012 - 09:48.

#2672 Macca

Macca

• 3,311 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:48

Perhaps it would be simpler to install a system to counteract her moaning rather than the engine noise.

It's hard to imagine a programme about estate agents being anything other than completely truthful!

:lol:

Best bet would be to get her on the programme again, which is what that sort of person likes above all, and find her somewhere else to live.............how about Hounslow? Then she can try and get Heathrow closed!

Paul M

#2673 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:54

Phil Rainford

After all you don't buy a house 'in the country' to be bothered by such visually intrusive, commercial contraptions every once a year do you?
Not without a rate rebate....
or compensation... :smoking:

#2674 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:25

Well a lovely day, and a nice mixed bag of cars, I thought I had shots of the two E-types that turned up, but don't. Martin Stretton was in one of them.

Anyhow, here goes. Linked from facebook so quality will be poor. Incase anyone hadn't noticed there is a bloody big lake at Mallory and someone needs to use it, so I did.

You could say I wasn't on form again, but the day was too good to be watching it through a viewfinder :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I wasn't the only thing that was hot yesterday, I had to nurse my Mini home and give it a rest on the M69, so this was the scene a few times yesterday.. Might have to get the 72 degree stat out again :drunk:

Posted Image

Maybe see some of you next week, where I am sure it will be snowing!

Edited by thebullet, 24 May 2012 - 10:34.

#2675 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:04

Phil Rainford

I thought we solved that problem some weeks ago!! :)

Posted Image

#2676 delta44

delta44

• 104 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:58

On my out lap I saw you on the inside of Gerrards Mathew.Did wave but you were looking the other way.

#2677 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 21:03

Very sorry I didn't see you! or have any photos of your car for this week, but it was going very well round Gerards.

First rule of working in the sun is you always shoot with it and not into it, annoyingly shooting the entry to Gerards means I would be pointing into the sun and that is why I had my back to the oncoming cars. Hopefully see you soon!

#2678 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 15:23

Got to the Park for the first time this year. Warm sunshine and a few interesting vehicles out.

This Group C Nissan could have been the star of the day. When I arrived at about 9.30 they were busy working on the gearbox and the car only came out late in the morning for 6 or 7 very slow laps. At one point it was overtaken by a 2CV!

Posted Image

Jamie Bradshaw was far quicker in the F2 March 782 BMW.

Posted Image

I quite liked this Formula Junior. I think it's an Elva but stand to be corrected.

Posted Image

Ben Simms ran 2 Formula Fords and was quick all morning. This is his Alexis in arty mode :blush:

Posted Image

Other interest was Classic Sports Cars

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not a Classic Mallory Test Day but enough interest to make it worth the visit.

#2679 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 17:11

The driver of this, after steering issues, went off into the wilderness that is now the outside of Gerrards but thought it better to park it on the inside of Gerrards out. Apparently he frightened the life of those still hammering around Gerrards at full chat as he crossed the track :eek:

Posted Image

Edited by alansart, 30 May 2012 - 17:12.

Advertisement

#2680 Lee Nicolle

Lee Nicolle

• 5,654 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 22:52

I suggest posting the photo on one of the Aussie threads - I don't know whether any of them visit this thread.

I look occasionally but have no idea! It is 60s and pretty!

#2681 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:28

Posted Image

I'm a bit of a dunce on Lotus type numbers so I'm looking for help here - This excellent shot of Matt's looks to feature the same model of Lotus as a period photo I have in the archives (below) which has so far failed to find a confirmed identity.

Posted Image

I know this one was taken at Warwick Farm, Aus' - but who's the driver? And What model of Lotus is it (even assuming it IS a Lotus.....)?

Can anyone help?

I have just looked at some old Warwick Farm programmes and the closest I can find is Feb 19th 1967 Lotus 22 Ford driven by R. Young. Looking at the photo it would be a pushrod Ford engine as the carburetors and exhaust are on the same side and the programme lists the capacity as 1498cc. So that would fit. It is the only car with #23 that is a Lotus in all of the programmes I have from the 60's.
Dale.

#2682 Bloggsworth

Bloggsworth

• 7,438 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:42

Posted Image

Looks like an Elva-BMC, but I can't recall seeing one with tin wheels before.

#2683 Ray Bell

Ray Bell

• 53,748 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:53

Bob Young, one of the originals in a Rennmax Vee...

That would have to be Leo's old 22, there were very few 22s in the country, does the programme say green/white?

#2684 simonlewisbooks

simonlewisbooks

• 2,118 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:08

I have just looked at some old Warwick Farm programmes and the closest I can find is Feb 19th 1967 Lotus 22 Ford driven by R. Young. Looking at the photo it would be a pushrod Ford engine as the carburetors and exhaust are on the same side and the programme lists the capacity as 1498cc. So that would fit. It is the only car with #23 that is a Lotus in all of the programmes I have from the 60's.
Dale.

Many thanks Dale. :up:

#2685 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 17:06

I gave it a miss yesterday as I was there yesterday, would have been good to see that F2!

#2686 BRG

BRG

• 11,433 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 19:02

I gave it a miss yesterday as I was there yesterday

¿qué?

#2687 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 19:58

hahaha, well that confused me too. Meant to type,I wasn't there yesterday as I am there monday! oops.

#2688 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:14

Bob Young, one of the originals in a Rennmax Vee...

That would have to be Leo's old 22, there were very few 22s in the country, does the programme say green/white?

Yes. Green
Dale.

#2689 BT 35-8

BT 35-8

• 221 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 22:59

Gents,

May I suggest you go back to post # 2571 , where I listed two alternatives .

Bryan Miller .

If is ex Leo G it is 22-J-49 . if ex Reg Papps and Sons it is 20-J-965 .

#2690 Dale Harvey

Dale Harvey

• 272 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 00:56

Gents,

May I suggest you go back to post # 2571 , where I listed two alternatives .

Bryan Miller .

If is ex Leo G it is 22-J-49 . if ex Reg Papps and Sons it is 20-J-965 .

Bryan,
Sorry, I had forgotten about the earlier posts (senior moment). Post #2583 is the one where you list the possible identities.
Dale.

#2691 ed holly

ed holly

• 191 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:06

Guys,

See post 35 at

http://forums.autosp...howtopic=168602

#2692 Phil Rainford

Phil Rainford

• 5,289 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 18:28

Quality not quantity today

Le Mans in ten days :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ben Simms was quick......

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Phil

#2693 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:47

Nice stuff Phil :)

Didn't make it yesterday, I was there monday for the Live raceday, some funny looking tin shaped snails gave some cracking racing.

Posted Image

and some brilliant MG's!

Posted Image

Edited by thebullet, 07 June 2012 - 08:48.

#2694 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 200 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:14

Ben Simms was quick......

Posted Image

Long time lurker, first time poster in the thread. Can anyone tell me what this car is? It looks like a modern take on a older car but I can't be sure.

Thanks,

#2695 David McKinney

David McKinney

• 14,156 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:16

A 1970s FF Elden - not sure which model

#2696 alansart

alansart

• 4,006 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:42

Elden Mk8

#2697 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,327 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:48

Nice stuff Phil :)

Didn't make it yesterday, I was there monday for the Live raceday, some funny looking tin shaped snails gave some cracking racing.

and some brilliant MG's!

Having owned both; I would swap your cations around! :rotfl:

#2698 thebullet

thebullet

• 374 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:19

I have been watching 2CV racing for years aswell as MG's. Both lovely stuff really :)

#2699 kissTheApex

kissTheApex

• 200 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 00:35

Elden Mk8

Thanks gentlemen..

Advertisement

#2700 elansprint72

elansprint72

• 3,327 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:19

VSCC Celebrate their 21st Birthday Visit to Mallory Park with a Very Special Guest

For Immediate Release 15 June 2012

ERA R3A, the first 2 litre ERA, is the guest of honour at the VSCC’s Bob Gerard Memorial Trophy Race Meeting on Sunday 24 June when the Club celebrate their 21st visit in succession to the Leicestershire circuit. The VSCC held its first Mallory Park Race Meeting on 7 July 1991 and has held an annual event there ever since as part of its extensive programme of competitions.

ERA R3A has not raced at Mallory Park for many years, certainly not in the hands of current owner, Mrs Mary Smith and pilot, Mark Gillies, who is flying in from the United States to race in the feature race of the day. This race has attracted a great entry with Fred Harper’s 1957 Kurtis set to be the main challenge to Gillies, as the original Indy Car is perfect for the Mallory oval. Stephen Shoosmith returns fresh from victory in the Williams Trophy at Cadwell Park on 9 June in his Bugatti Type 51 alongside Adam Ealand’s HWM Grand Prix, Paul Jaye’s Alta 2 Litre and Terry Crabb in the second ERA, R12C. Tom Dark’s Bugatti Type 73C returns to challenge the ERAs in a rare appearance with the VSCC.

ERA R3A, a welcome visitor to VSCC Bob Gerard Trophies Race Meeting at Mallory Park, Sunday 24 June. Photo: Mark Ballard

The annual race for Edwardian Cars is 6 laps of unmissible antics and we welcome truly unique Edwardian Racers from all over the UK to the forum including David Ozanne’s 1911 Delage Coupe De L’Auto from Guernsey, Alisdaire Lockhart’s Vauxhall A/D Type from Scotland and the recently restored Mercedes 60HP from the Collings family base in the Welsh borders makes its track debut. They all have to beat Leicestershire man Mark Walker in his 1905 Land Speed Record Darracq 200HP.

Alfa Romeo, HRG, Delahaye, Frazer Nash and Talbot Lago are some of the exquisite marques represented in a full capacity race for Standard and Modified Pre-war Sports-Cars competing for the fabled Mallory Mug. Pre-war Sports-cars will be in action in seven races as part of a twelve race programme.

The AC/GNs of local racers, Tony Lees and Robert Carr go head to head in the Vintage Racing Cars event, although the nimble three-wheel Morgan racers of Duncan Wood, Gary Caroline and Sue Darbyshire excel on this circuit and will present a stiff challenge.

Formula 3 (500) Racers and Formula Juniors will also be in action. Sam Wilson returns to defend his crown in the John Taylor Memorial Race in his Cooper T59.

The VSCC brings you a full day’s action at Mallory starting with practice at 9.00am. The first race (The Oulton Park Trophy for Special Sports-Cars) will be held at 11.45am, then after the lunch break, racing resumes with a full programme of 11 races finishing at approximately 5.30pm. 11 Traders will be present selling everything from motoring artwork and books to auto-jumble and parts. Bonhams Auction house and Routen Chaplin Insurance will also be present.
Ends.

The Oulton Park Trophy at Mallory! I would prefer the club not to run this race at all... or get another trophy. Grrrr...